Characters that mean a lot to you

Ottservia

Hey all what are some characters that mean a lot to you? Characters that you can’t help but think of fondly because you resonated with them very strongly for one reason or another. here’s a list of mine:

Severa: she’s probably my favorite fictional character period and for good reason. I just relate to her on a fundamental level. Her inferiority complex, her relationship with her parents, her distrust of others to get close to her due to past trauma, etc. it’s all stuff I’ve personally experienced in one way or another and to see a character like this go through similar struggles reminds of the fact that I am not alone in this world. 

Naruto: another one of my favorite characters. His struggles with loneliness, overcoming the hatred in his heart, learning to be optimistic in a world full of corruption and war was what got me through a very tough time in my life where I had no friends and everything in the world just felt hostile and unknown. The way he would never give up was really what pushed me to do the same.

Sasuke: another character with an inferiority complex(woah who would’ve guessed) but in all seriousness, Sasuke is a character I resonate with both fundamentally and idealistically. He’s a character that seeks recognition above all else and it’s that very motivation that drives his character forward. He wants to be recognized by those he seeks to impress but when he is finally able to those people are gone and all that was left was his brother who he vowed to kill. This leads him down a road of trying to learn the truth and fix the shinobi world. It’s a story resonates with me because I, too, know that feeling of wanting to be recognized and to be of use to others but feeling like I failed to meet those very expectations.

Haru Okumura: I just have a thing for characters who have a hard time expressing how they truly feel. The way Haru’s confidant progresses is one I really like because she feels incredibly pressured by the new burden that has been placed on her by her father’s passing. All her life and even now she was constantly mistrustful of others because she felt that they only wanted to be friends with her out of personal gain and not out of a genuine desire to be friends. These trust issues are in full display in her confidant where she doesn’t know who in the company to trust in her father’s company to help her figure out what to do. It’s only when she decides to stop running and confront the issue that she is able to work up the courage to express to the new ceo how she truly feels and it works out for her. It’s just a struggle I find myself relating too a lot.

so what about you guys, any characters you can name that you resonate with this strongly?

Elphin: I like characters that have health/physical problems so Elphin being blind really resonated with me and he is also a well (to me anyway) written FE character.

Genjo Sanzo : I like all the Saiyuki main characters, but I found Saiyuki right after I went through some major RL problems and Sanzo ended up resonating with me because he has to come to terms with things that happened to him and with his faith just like I did, even though the things that happened to me weren't as major it still hurt just as much and Sanzo's character reached me and helped me come to terms with some things even though I am still having a hard time fully healing from those things it still helped a lot and Sanzo has become my favorite fictional character of all time because of all the help seeing his growth has given me.

Jigen : Lupin the third is my mom and I's watch together anime because we both like it.  I happen to really like cynical and practical characters and Jigen fits that to a T.  Plus for some reason I seem to like anime/manga characters dressed in black that wear hats, don't know why but half of the characters I like fit that description.

Vampire hunter D : D is my favorite ride off in to the sunset after saving the day mystery type character.  I have a hard time with people and D being half vampire half human and not really caring about how others see him is nice, plus the way he just goes around stopping bad vampires and bad humans is nice.  Plus I do have to have one character who I just feel a bit sorry for and D is that character because he can't be around humans for long because he does not age like vampires,  but he can't stand the way vampires are and what they do either.  He is skind of stuck being a loner and not being able to have friends or family and I like and feel sorry for him at the same time for that.

There are other characters I like, but I think I will stop here with these three since they are the top of the list.

Edited by EricaofRenais

I suppose the best example for me would be Ike. I've said I love his character and writing and design and all, but there's more to him for me than that, honestly. He's also something I have to remember my younger brother by who committed suicide in 2015. We used to argue over who'd play him in the Subspace Emmissary in Brawl. lol He was our favorite in the game. And this was before I played FE, so indirectly, my brother got me into the FE series as a whole as well, starting with that interest in Ike. I don't remember if my brother ever gave FE a try though...

But a slightly lesser example could be Krillin from the Dragon Ball franchise. I'm not a huge fan of that franchise in general, but Krillin is one of the few things I do really like about it because I relate to him quite a bit on a physical level. He's a little guy and often underestimated because of it. I'm quite small for my age and it sometimes makes me feel weak and less helpful than others because I can't be tall enough or strong enough to help with certain tasks. But Krillin became the most powerful human in the DB universe and when I see small characters do things like that, show that their size doesn't hold them back, it makes me feel better about mine too. Like I can overcome it and still be super useful to have around! I also think Krillin is funny, but him being the definition of "big things come in small packages" is the best thing about him to me.

Oh yeah, I'll give a mention to Julia from Sesame Street too. I don't watch the show, but when I learned about Julia and saw some clips of her, I immediately enjoyed everything about her because she's autistic and the show's first attempt at an autistic character. I'm quite a bit like her because I'm on the spectrum myself. I was pleasantly surprised to see she's even sensitive to loud noise! Not everybody on the spectrum has that characteristic even though it isn't uncommon. I have it rather bad since it prevents me from enjoying concerts and stuff like that unless I have really good earplugs or something.

3 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Very sad for what u went through.with your parents. I used to have really bad time with my parents too During that time, I'm stress alot, really really stress. That when I find out about Fatal Frame 5 , Person 5, Wither 3. I was enjoy watching those game walkthroughs a lot. It cured my despression. Some events in those game help me think straight about my problems in real life.

Luffy: He is really try hard to save his friends. Especially most boss fights (before 3d2y) , he fights hard that harm to his health. Or wnen his crew fly to Cloud Island, when the "Bon voyage" playing. It is really touch my feelings.

All female Warriors in Claymore : this is a masterpice to me, really want another season. I dont want to spoil it here. But it really give me a lot thoughts.

Dr.Tenma from Monster : he gives me the important in 1 action even when u think about it carefully. Right and Wrong really close to each other

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

But a slightly lesser example could be Krillin from the Dragon Ball franchise. I'm not a huge fan of that franchise in general, but Krillin is one of the few things I do really like about it because I relate to him quite a bit on a physical level. He's a little guy and often underestimated because of it. I'm quite small for my age and it sometimes makes me feel weak and less helpful than others because I can't be tall enough or strong enough to help with certain tasks. But Krillin became the most powerful human in the DB universe and when I see small characters do things like that, show that their size doesn't hold them back, it makes me feel better about mine too. Like I can overcome it and still be super useful to have around! I also think Krillin is funny, but him being the definition of "big things come in small packages" is the best thing about him to me.

.Im glad u overcome it :) . Recently I read alot about pairing in Awakening in this forum. I see u a lot in those threads. Really help me out. Thanks.F.Robin x Frederick :)

3 hours ago, EricaofRenais said:

Elphin: I like characters that have health/physical problems so Elphin being blind really resonated with me and he is also a well (to me anyway) written FE character.

Those look like some interesting animes. I'm gonna watch those. thank for share :)

I'll get FIre Emblem out first. Jakob is my favourite character in the series, and for good reason. I really love Butlers and Maids, and Jakob is the perfect example of a good one. His design, his personality, it is all so fantastic to me. As for others I really like, Sanaki, Felicia, Flora, Mareeta and Marth come up.

Now some other series. The Ace Attorney franchise is probably my favourite series ever, and there are definitely some characters in there that mean a lot to me. The character pictured in my profile picture, Sherlock Holmes from the Great Ace Attorney is one of the most entertaining, yet well written characters I've ever seen in media, with great comedy-value as well as being important to the plot and serious when it counts. A lot of characters from The Great Ace Attorney and it's sequels are also very important to me and have given me great joy to experience, some examples being Susato and Yuujin Mikotoba, Barok van Zieks, Iris Watson, Benjamin Dobinbough and of course Ryuunosuke Naruhoudo.

From the main series, Phoenix Wright is my favourite from the 3 lawyers, but I really love all three of the Wright talent agency crowd. Trucy is a classic of course, and we can't forget Maya and Pearl Fey, and some prosecutors like Miles Edgeworth. The stories these characters tell are so good and give me so many good feelings, it's something I would reccommend to anyone. 

Finally, there is Shuichi Saihara from the Danganronpa franchise. This poor guy. He goes through and has been through so much, and yet he is still forced to do all this. I won't go into it too much cause... spoilers, but clear to say, he is my favourite of the protagonists.

i don't usually feel too much attachment to fictional character, but i can think of some characters i'll never forget about

basically the whole Medaka Box crew (most notably Kouki Akune, Kumagawa, Kikaijima and Zenkichi), and most of the Shaman King  (Yoh Asakura, Hao, Horo Horo and Ryu) crew, they're all very, very dear to me (i think Kouki Akune is actually one of my favorite fictional characters ever)

also Emma, Olivert, Ilya, Agate, Tita and Randy from the Trails series, i just love them so much

Sora & Co. from Kingdom Hearts: excessively complexed the series's plot may be, i can't but love them all

Shawn Froste/Shirou Fubuki from Inazuma Eleven, he specifically holds a special place in my heart

(Recent)
Elric of Melnibone, The White Wolf: 

I read Moorcock’s Elric Saga at a low point in my life and felt that the main character resonated with me. Before brooding anti-heroes were cliche, Elric helped to popularize them in the 1960’s. Despite being labeled as a ‘drama queen’ by some, his struggle with morality and trying to do what he feels is right makes him feel very human. Fighting against destiny, only to get screwed over by it yet still going on despite this makes him an interesting character. Plus if Elric didn’t exist you won’t have Geralt of Riveria, Drizzt Do’Urden, Arthas and a whole bunch of other similar characters.

Kane, The Mystic Swordsman: 

On paper I shouldn’t really like Kane seeing as he is an evil immortal, murdering his way through history. Yet the way in which Karl Edward Wagner writes him as a character endlessly fascinates me. Wagner is able to make him a interesting character despite being irredeemable evil. Perhaps having a character who is the protagonist of a series and evil is novel, but Kane’s attempts at empirecraft and domination represents some of the most engaging fantasy I’ve read in a while.

(Childhood)

Martin the Warrior, Champion of Redwall:

As much as I enjoy darker stories and morally repugnant characters, some times you just want an unambiguously good guy as a protagonist. I always enjoyed the stories of Martin because he was a character that despite all the tragedy he suffered in his life, he continued to fight for the people of Mossflower. I felt bad for Martin because he lost so much throughout his adventures, the women he loved was killed, he felt abandoned by his father, and never really lead the happy life he deserved. Despite being a mouse he felt very human and was always someone I could see having my back in a tough situation.

Edited by Wraith

The one that comes to mind the most would be Pit from Kid Icarus for the simple reason he makes me smile whenever he's on screen. Every time Pit says or does something he's either amusing, kind or very wholesome. Pit also has a very big dose of the underdog factor. Within his series almost none of his allies or enemy even pretend to have any sort of respect for Pit, and outside of his series Nintendo seems involved in some malevolent scheme to deny giving Pit any more games. 

I've spoken so much about Marth, that if I say anything else, I'll sound like a broken record. Absolutely fantastic character. Other FE characters would be Chrom and Robin (mostly male Robin, but hey ho), as well as Dimitri, Felix, Caeda, Tiki, and Roy.

Outside of Fire Emblem...

Akira Kurusu/Ren Amamiya/Joker/whatever you want to call him, from Persona 5. I prefer to call him Akira. It's so weird to care for a silent protagonist so much, but Akira...he's great. From what he went through before the game started, what he goes through throughout the game, the bonds he makes...you forget this guy is sixteen. After the events of November, you realise he is just a kid. You have to read into the details, stuff like his parents never contacting him during his probation, his fake glasses, the fact the velvet room takes the form of a prison, the stark contrast between how he acts as Akira and how he acts as Joker...honestly, if he didn't have a Persona, he would absolutely have a Palace. He's just so fascinating, and he is a big part of why I love P5 so much. I'm playing through Royal right now, and that hasn't changed.

Lelouch Lamperouge from Code Geass. WHERE DO I EVEN BEGIN? Oh god. This guy is my favourite anime character of all time, and has been for the past eight years. Code Geass is joint first with Katekyo Hitman REBORN! for my favourite anime, but I have to admit, if Lelouch wasn't in it, I wouldn't have enjoyed nearly as much. Lelouch proves that you don't need a copious amount of physical strength to be a badass. His strategies shouldn't work but they do. He is an absolute thrill to watch with his theatrics, and his dub voice is amazing (bless Johnny Yong Bosch). He takes time to test the limits of his Geass, he doesn't always win (for someone so smart, trying to infiltrate Cornelia's ranks was duuuumb), he lets his emotions take control over him (hello viceroy Nunnally), he's not perfect. But he isn't supposed to be, and it all comes together, and makes him an absolutely amazing character.

Oh yeah, I should also give a shoutout to Cordelia whom I think is best Awakening girl. She's a lot like me, honestly. Most notably, we're both flat chested and pretty self-conscious about it. I always feel discouraged over it because it always seems like society says women should have big breasts or something in order to be considered attractive. Also like Cordy, I get praised for various talents and it tends to make me uncomfortable. And I've gone through unrequited love too, though I'm sure a lot of us have.

But the chest thing is the biggest point here, because it makes me glad to know that I'm surely not the only one out there who is discouraged by chest size.

Edited by Anacybele

• Eilwood(Fire Emblem): A classic example of a paragon, my favorite character archetype. Eliwood's journey is one filled harrowing trials and tragic losses that would break lesser men, but Eliwood never loses sight of his ideals and continues to fight for what's right till the end.
  • Samwise(The Lord of the Rings): The true hero of one of the greatest stories ever written. Samwise may be a humble Hobbit, but the things he does out of sheer loyalty to his friends has me shedding tears every time.
  • Darth Vader(Star Wars): Considered by many to be the ultimate villain in cinema history. The fall and redemption of Darth Vader is a powerful arc that's stuck with me ever since I was young, shame there aren't more villains like Vader these days.
  • Dante(Devil May Cry): One of the most iconic action game heroes with the smokin' sick style to back it up. Aside from being an incredibly entertaining, Dante as a character is the very embodiment of the saying "it's not what you are, but what you do that defines you." A message I feel we need now more that ever.
  • Ginko(Mushi-shi): Though he might be an obscure pick, Ginko is just as important to me as anyone else I've mentioned. Ginko is wise man who approaches his work with a level of caution and respect that makes him compelling in a way few other anime protagonists are.

Eliwood: He's so kind and strong. He's honest and caring and willing to help. In a lot of ways I wish I were like him.

Joey Wheeler/Jounouchi Katsuya: A character who most people overlook, but he practices and tries his hardest and eventually becomes one of the best duelists. I feel I relate to him in a lot of ways, though I haven't done anything really notworthy.

Grimsley: I honestly just like him and he gives me a lot of comfort

On 4/26/2020 at 2:10 PM, Hong Nhi said:

Very sad for what u went through.with your parents. I used to have really bad time with my parents too During that time, I'm stress alot, really really stress. That when I find out about Fatal Frame 5 , Person 5, Wither 3. I was enjoy watching those game walkthroughs a lot. It cured my despression. Some events in those game help me think straight about my problems in real life.

I mean it's not exactly how it is with Severa and her parents but it's certainly close. I don't hate them or nothing but sometimes it just feels like they don't listen but that's a discussion for another time.

On 4/27/2020 at 1:42 AM, Lau said:

Akira Kurusu/Ren Amamiya/Joker/whatever you want to call him, from Persona 5. I prefer to call him Akira. It's so weird to care for a silent protagonist so much, but Akira...he's great. From what he went through before the game started, what he goes through throughout the game, the bonds he makes...you forget this guy is sixteen. After the events of November, you realise he is just a kid. You have to read into the details, stuff like his parents never contacting him during his probation, his fake glasses, the fact the velvet room takes the form of a prison, the stark contrast between how he acts as Akira and how he acts as Joker...honestly, if he didn't have a Persona, he would absolutely have a Palace. He's just so fascinating, and he is a big part of why I love P5 so much. I'm playing through Royal right now, and that hasn't changed.

Ren is another character I relate to a lot as well. Perosna 5 in general is a game that resonates with me on a level no other story really has. I like Ren a lot. His feelings about being abandoned and tossed aside by his family and society at large is a feeling I can wholeheartedly relate to and Royal only sets out to amplify those feelings. Speaking of persona 5 Royal

Spoiler

"Kasumi" or rather Sumire Yoshizawa is another character that resonates me on a fundemental level. I mean she's a cute red haired anime girl with major self-esteem issues that's just a recipe for me to latch on to a character strongly but honestly I just relate to her self-esteem issues in how she thinks she's useless in how the world cares more about her sister and not her and that she herself would be better off not existing. It's just a feeling I relate to heavily.

Ohh boy... Lemme just put up a spoiler tag bc this will be long

Spoiler

Lukas (FE): Honestly, I wish I could be like him sometimes and not worry about my emotions getting in the way, I put them first before logical reasoning

Berkut: He's just humbling that he got one of the happier endings and that breakdown? Totally understand because my breakdowns can get just as messy, but without the human sacrificing, just a lot more sobbing

Ken: *breathes in* ok so not only was this dork my first fictional crush, I project onto him more than I do Anthony and that's saying something. The only one who beats them in that department is my persona but not talking bout her rn. Just the fact he struggles to do his best but not feeling like he's enough, being completely socially awkward and waay too sensitive really hits home but they way he literally escapes into the digital world is a pretty damn good analogy to how I escape the real world: through my games and the internet. Pair that with a rocky relationship with an older brother and it's eerie how much it's parallelled (except i never wished for my brother to disappear and him to be hit by a car but that's neither here nor there so.) Except now he's got a loving group of friends who support him and I have a nintendo switch with animal crossing, which I think suffices, idk what do you guys think?