Why is Grado an "Empire"?

I just started doing a playthrough of FE8 for a ranking marathon I'm doing, and something suddenly occurred to me as I was commenting on the info given in the opening narrative:

Why the hell is The Grado Empire... an empire?

I'll quote what I said in the thread:

9 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Why is Grado an empire?

So, these countries were founded in the aftermath of the fall of the demon king, built on the legacy of the heroes and the stones.

An empire is “an extensive group of states or countries under a single supreme authority, formerly especially an emperor or empress”.

What formerly-independent nations did Grado take over in order to become an “empire”? That is a prerequisite, right? You can't just decide to be an empire by breaking up your own territory, or by having a bunch of equals agree to unite, right? Otherwise they'd be a republic or an alliance or something.

Is it an “empire” because Grado re-consolidated the territory of pre-existing ruined nations? Because, like... wouldn't all the countries on this continent be empires in that situation?

Or is that where the other legendary weapon wielders went? They founded their own countries, and Grado took over all of them some time in the 800 years between then and the start of the game? If so, then why would it only have two of the ten sacred twin weapons, if it were made up of the territory of more of the heroes than anyone else's country?

...Or did these people just want to call it an empire because it sounds impressive and evil?

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? Anyone with more knowledge of how empires work, or who remembers some tidbit from some support conversation that might explain this?

Well, Empire is one of those definitions that aren't exactly rigid.

Look at our history. Many countries declared themselves empires, or were considered empires, despite not exactly falling down into one definition. Can you really say the Holy Roman Empire was that similar to, say, the Brazilian Empire? Maybe, maybe not. Heck, my own country (Mexico) was declared an Empire twice, despite being very different during both times.

Simply put, it might be the same kind of deal for Grado. Considering it's the largest country of the continent, with the largest military force, and the one housing the Fire Emblem, maybe it factors to it. Like, it declared itself an empire in a way to elevate itself from the other kingdoms. As a proclamation it was better or superior. Could be a reason. Could be the reason. I suppose the game itself might shed some light on it. Maybe.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

which is just that it sounds cool.

To be honest, that might've also been a reason for one or two real Empires, heh.

Empire just sounds high-and-mightier than plain old "country" anytime of the day, really.

They also needed you to know that "hey, this country is about to go to war, just so you know". Most supreme enemy countries you fight in FE are called Empires too, right? Some exception I can think of is like, Bern, or even Daein, that's it.

Edited by Koops
Rephrasing

Because the "Empire" is always the bad guys (dah dah dah dat-dadah, dat-dadah), while the good guys come from the "Kingdom". Sacred Stones' biggest plot twist is that the Republic is a little ambivalent while the Theocracy is good and righteous.

8 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I would hardly be surprised.

Certainly.

Let's blame the Roman Empire, they made Empires cool in the eyes of Europe and then it was chain reaction for other parts of the world.

Can't blame them tho, Roman Empire was hella powerful. If I had an empire I sure would like it to be as prestigious as that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 12:57 AM, Koops said:

Empire just sounds high-and-mightier than plain old "country" anytime of the day, really.

They also needed you to know that "hey, this country is about to go to war, just so you know". Most supreme enemy countries you fight in FE are called Empires too, right? Some exception I can think of is like, Bern, or even Daein, that's it.

I was going to say something similar, but you beat me to the punch lol.