April's Legendary Hero: Edelgard

daisy jane

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Othin said:

If you're not trying to improve your score, why even bother looking for her as a team addition? You can get bad scores just fine without her. 

She is a Galeforcer and she may make defeating certain defense teams easier (I have not tested her out yet, so I cannot say for certain whether double Galeforce trivializes certain teams). For players who just want decent rewards or are already satisfied with their current rank, ease of use is far more important than scoring. Not all players are hyper competitive. Not every player is aiming to be in the top 1,000. A lot of players care about getting decent rewards with the least amount of effort possible.

8 minutes ago, XRay said:

She is a Galeforcer and she may make defeating certain defense teams easier (I have not tested her out yet, so I cannot say for certain whether double Galeforce trivializes certain teams). For players who just want decent rewards or are already satisfied with their current rank, ease of use is far more important than scoring. Not all players are hyper competitive. Not every player is aiming to be in the top 1,000. A lot of players care about getting decent rewards with the least amount of effort possible.

Ease of use is just a route to a better score, no matter what rank you're at. If you have two mythics of the right element, using an off-season unit is effectively costing you one death's worth of score each match. They'd have to be really good to be worth that, and I don't think Edelgard qualifies. AR while you're not trying to do better than one death per match is not difficult. 

19 minutes ago, Othin said:

Ease of use is just a route to a better score, no matter what rank you're at. If you have two mythics of the right element, using an off-season unit is effectively costing you one death's worth of score each match. They'd have to be really good to be worth that, and I don't think Edelgard qualifies. AR while you're not trying to do better than one death per match is not difficult. 

Ease of use is one way to increase the average scoring by reducing likelihood of mistakes and things like that, but it is not a surefire way to increase score. Up to a certain point, a player will have to make a choice between ease of use and scoring unless they have the resources to afford something that does both.

I am not saying FE!Edelgard's niche is good, I have not tested it out yet so I cannot say for sure, but I think there is a strong potential to be at least decent so it may make battles easier for players. If she does make things easier, and the player is fine with being somewhere between Tier 21 and Tier 25, then there is no point in maximizing score when you can make your battles easier with FE!Edelgard.

Edited by XRay

1 minute ago, XRay said:

Ease of use is one way to increase the average scoring by reducing likelihood of mistakes and things like that, but it is not a surefire way to increase score. Up to a certain point, a player will have to make a choice between ease of use and scoring unless they have the resources to afford something that does both.

I am not saying FE!Edelgard's niche is good, I have not tested it out yet so I cannot say for sure, but I think there is a strong potential to be at least decent so it may make battles easier for players. If she does make things easier, and the player is fine with being somewhere between Tier 21 and Tier 25, then there is no point in maximizing score when you can make your battles easier with FE!Edelgard.

Again, you can already make battles easier by being willing to sacrifice units, without needing to summon and build a new unit. The power a unit would need to offer to do more to make a battle easier than one sacrifice per battle is enormous, and I do not see any way Edelgard could qualify. If you want special Galeforce tech enough to use an off season legendary, Leif seems way better to me.

13 minutes ago, Othin said:

Again, you can already make battles easier by being willing to sacrifice units, without needing to summon and build a new unit. The power a unit would need to offer to do more to make a battle easier than one sacrifice per battle is enormous, and I do not see any way Edelgard could qualify. If you want special Galeforce tech enough to use an off season legendary, Leif seems way better to me.

That is true, but she is an another option that players can potentially use.

Well, I got an Eir, a Celica and a Nagi.

I guess I'll wait to see what happens with the Golden Week Banners to see what to do (isn't like I have a lot of Orbs anyway).

Took me 400+ orbs to finally get Edelgard, my goodness. I have so many Celicas and Nagis. I have the worst luck when it comes to wanting a single character, the color I want always shows up like once per summon or not at all. The most I had were three greens and that only happened twice.

Predictable, but happy Emperor Eldie is legendary. It would have been a pretty boring set of Brave Heroes if they have chosen her for it otherwise

On 4/30/2020 at 4:46 PM, XRay said:

You can use her out of season. Maximizing scoring is not necessary unless the player is trying to rank. If the player is in it for the resources rather than rank, there is no need to go all out on scoring.

By that logic I may as well bring Peony instead of Naga in astra season, since Naga offers way less than Peony as a mythic unit. Maximising score is not necessary for just getting a decent amount of rewards, but you're saying it's a good idea to spend on average 200 orbs on a unit that is guaranteed to bring your lift down at least half the time, used on a playstyle that has very niche applications, just to gain a very slight amount of "ease" of use, whilst there being plenty F2P units that can fulfil the role required for this sort of team comp and do no require massive amounts of fodder. 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:34 PM, XRay said:

Best of all, you keep preaching Edelgard this, Edelgard that, yet you fully acknowledge that you don't even know if it will be useful at all. Triple tapping is not even all that easy on L!Edelgard anyway, since most defenses have frontlines that are able to inflict guard, she has almost no way of securing a follow up attack, and has no wayof special acceleration besides brave of slaying edge. Slaying also need to be in a perfect middle ground to not OHKO, brave axes are easier to miss kills with. Galeforce requires calculations, planning ahead and taking the time to map out your moves. that is the exact opposite of coasting.

On 4/30/2020 at 6:31 PM, XRay said:

That is true, but she is an another option that players can potentially use.

Great, let me use this unit that is off season, I also don;t have a useful bonus unit, may as well use an extra dancer. Oh wait, I am losing 40 lift per match. Since I'm coasting I may as well ditch the mythics as well since they are a setback more often than not. Why play AR at all?

1 minute ago, Vicious Sal said:

By that logic I may as well bring Peony instead of Naga in astra season, since Naga offers way less than Peony as a mythic unit. Maximising score is not necessary for just getting a decent amount of rewards, but you're saying it's a good idea to spend on average 200 orbs on a unit that is guaranteed to bring your lift down at least half the time, used on a playstyle that has very niche applications, just to gain a very slight amount of "ease" of use, whilst there being plenty F2P units that can fulfil the role required for this sort of team comp and do no require massive amounts of fodder. 

When I first started Aether Raids, I use my Player Phase team extremely often and it has no offensive scoring potential, and I was still able to get into Tier 23 and sometimes Tier 24 as it can handle defense teams that my Sharena super tank team could not handle.

What sets FE!Edelgard apart is her ability to get three actions per turn, which no other unit can do right now unless you are outside of Aether Raids utilizing dual Galeforcer Pair Ups.

5 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

If you see a team that hard counters FE!Edelgard, then you do not bring her or any Galeforcers at all and use another team. It is no different from not bringing Counter-Vantage if the enemy team is stacked to the brim with anti Counter-Vantage units and measures. The vast majority of higher tier teams have at a least a few anti Counter-Vantage measures in place, but I still recommend having Counter-Vantage on at least one of the teams because there are often ways to work around it.

I do not know how useful double Galeforce is, but I do not think it is right to simply dismiss it prematurely either without more experience using her first. Double Galeforce is a pretty new concept in Aether Raids. She is not a good choice for new players, but she is someone to be considered by more experienced players who may want what FE!Edelgard brings to the table.

15 minutes ago, Vicious Sal said:

Great, let me use this unit that is off season, I also don;t have a useful bonus unit, may as well use an extra dancer. Oh wait, I am losing 40 lift per match. Since I'm coasting I may as well ditch the mythics as well since they are a setback more often than not. Why play AR at all?

You still get rewards for participation, and there is a difference between not maximizing score and not caring about rewards. A player should still keep their scoring team that helped them jump from Tier 20 to Tier 21, since the first two or three days of the week are usually pretty easy. As matches get tougher later on in the week, they can switch to teams that score less but are far more consistent at giving them a win to help reduce burnout.

You are downplaying ease of use far too much. Not every player is as competitive or strategically gifted as you. Most just want the most amount of rewards for the least amount of effort. If bringing a bonus unit or double Mythics is too much to handle, then it makes far more sense to reduce scoring potential in exchange for making battles easier and having a more pleasant time in Aether Raids. It makes no sense for players to maximize their score in other PvP modes either if it makes them feel like shit and the increase in rewards is not enough to justify it.

...I got four L!Celicas.

Four.

As well as another Eir and Naga. Now that I think about it, a spare Mystic Boost could be fun down the line, but everything else...urgh.

I got El in the end though! +Def, -Res. She seems to have good Res by default, so is it alright to have a bane in it? I ask as though I'm going to risk any more Orbs on this banner...

For a question I actually really appreciate an answer to: how many here are giving her Galeforce? If so, what other Skills/ weapons are best to make the most of that build? Thanks in advance!

Edited by DefyingFates

25 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

For a question I actually really appreciate an answer to: how many here are giving her Galeforce? If so, what other Skills/ weapons are best to make the most of that build? Thanks in advance!

I pulled three copies. My first two were [+Atk, -Res] and [+Def, -Spd]. Since I want to keep both Assets, I went for a third copy to fix the -Res. -Spd is very valuable on a slow tank, so I plan to leave her unmerged for the foreseeable if I ever plan to replace Aymr on the +Def one.

I have them Pair Up with each other for consistent triple Galeforce and the occasional quad Galeforce. It is pretty fun to have her zoom around the map and annihilate a clump of enemies.

As for her builds, both are running similar builds:
Aymr
Reposition
Galeforce
Atk/Res Solo
Raging Storm
Armored Stride
Heavy Blade (+Atk) — Quick Riposte (+Def)

Eventually, I plan to give the +Def one Heavy Blade 4 and switch her Sacred Seal slot to Death Blow for more frequent quad Galeforce.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Eventually, I plan to give the +Def one Heavy Blade 4 and switch her Sacred Seal slot to Death Blow for more frequent quad Galeforce.

That's probably what I'll end up doing too (I'm pretty sure I have a spare Duo!Ephraim...)

7 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

...I got four L!Celicas.

Four.

As well as another Eir and Naga. Now that I think about it, a spare Mystic Boost could be fun down the line, but everything else...urgh.

I got El in the end though! +Def, -Res. She seems to have good Res by default, so is it alright to have a bane in it? I ask as though I'm going to risk any more Orbs on this banner...

Don't worry about those Celicas. She's really powerful. Best green mage in the game IMO. 

I gave Edelgard galeforce, heavy blade 4 and death blow 3 sacred seal which I replace with QP on astra season because I don't have Velouria on astra season. 

9 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Don't worry about those Celicas. She's really powerful. Best green mage in the game IMO. 

My OG!Nino begs to differ.

I kept one and book'd the others. I'm just mad it took four of them to get Edelgard. And a Silque, I forgot to mention...but I've been caught off-guard by Melancholy enough times that I am interested in trying it for myself, so.

9 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I gave Edelgard galeforce, heavy blade 4 and death blow 3 sacred seal

And thanks! Seems to be the go-to build for her. I'll see if I can do the same!