April's Legendary Hero: Edelgard

daisy jane

We're gonna get eight different variations of Edelgard before October at the rate they're pushing her out. Spoiler variant, this Legendary, and the Brave one in August, and you just know she's gonna get seasonals.

Anyway, I'm gonna use my free summon and then drop out, probably. Celica and Nagi are nice, but no one I'm super concerned with summoning at the moment, and Edelgard doesn't look like a "must have" right now. I have all three units in the red slots, and all three in the colorless slots. Blue is sorta tempting since I only have Duo Ephraim from those slots, but just like Celica and Nagi, I'm not super concerned with Naga or Tsubasa at the moment.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, what was the point of censoring Flame Emperor's VA credits again?

Honestly, that's all I really care about here since I've already numbed myself to the inevitable deluge of Edelgard alts and the ongoing Black Eagle bias. Well, that and the fact that Celica is now a pitybreaker to Edelgard instead of the other way around. I do find that kinda hilarious.

I... actually fully agree with @Anacybele on the overuse of Black Eagles in Heroes, especially Edelgarde.

You can say that Edelgarde is the driving force of Three Houses all you want, but this isn't Fodlan and Edelgarde has no reason to have priority over the other three in a completely different setting. Hell, look at Awakening! Remember the popularity contest that remains the basis for two of its DLCs? Please, tell me where the fuck Severa and Inigo are, and don't try to pull any seasonal crap.

You can say that the Black Eagles path is the most popular, and I'd argue that that can be attributed largely to one of three factors:

• Black Eagles is the first highlighted option when you select your house.
  • Edelgarde is "waifu" material
  • Black Eagles has two post-timeskip routes
21 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

There are a lot of people who think they are being too slow at implementing Three Houses characters to begin with.

That's funny. Three Houses already has (only counting non-seasonals)...

• Almost as many units in the game in less than a year than Sacred Stones has gotten in the three years of FEH.
  • More units than units sourced from Thracia 776
  • More units than those who have been added post-launch from Binding Blade
  • Had some of the lowest amount of downtime between banners introducing units from the same game than almost any other game. For reference, the downtime between the recent Fates banner and the last Fates banner (Kitsune and Wolfskin) was over a year (Feb 2019).
Edited by Xenomata

My impressions:

• green: Two armor knights and I have Nagi. Distant counter would be kinda nice, but not a reason to try pulling from them. I don't have Celica, but I'm not short on green mages since I have Thrasir. 
  • red: Worst colour despite being represented only by only legendary heroes. None of them is outstanding. Again distant counter is the only really relevant thing.
  • colourless: I WANT Eir-merges, and I was hoping Eleonora would share with her, but unfortunately no. Silque and Lalum dragged this colour down unfortunately.
  • blue: Honestly the most appealing colour for me. I don't have Ephraim and Tsubasa who are really good. Naga as "pitybreaker" would not hurt either.

blue >> green = colourless > red

Flame Emperor's secret didn't last long, huh? I can see some getting super upset at this, but I don't really care. As a funny note, I was playing Silver Snow right now and I just beat her with Byleth...it's kinda funny in a way.

Now then, L!Edelgard is something else. She doesn't seem all that crazy outside of her B-skill. Her weapon is as basic as it gets nowadays (aka, Creator Sword and NFU screws her ambitions hard). Armored Stride is a solo version of Armor March or a shittier Solitary Dream, depending on how you look at it. Still, I'd like to give W!Sothis that skill just to make everyone tremble before her in AR. Raging Storm is a free GF...yup. GF+Offensive Special is here boys...damnit. At least it takes the B slot so no Fighter shenanigans for her. 

As for the rest of the banner. 

Green is very good with Edelgard/Celica/Nagi. No losers here. 

Red only has Hrid as a valuable fodder. I guess if you're desperate for Legendary Heroes it'll work fine, but none of them are all that great. 

Colorless is eh. Eir is always appreciated, Silque and Larum have some rare fodder in terms of their weapons (and Silque has a tier 4 skill iirc, but don't quote me on that). 

Blue...oh blue. Tsubasa's in there and I thirst for merges to get her ninja antics to the next level but of course she has to share color with Naga...ugh. Duo Ephraim would be appreciated to get rid of the -Atk my only copy has. 

Anyways, I'll probably go with Blue and Green and pray that I can nab a L!Celica and some Tsubasa merges. 

9 minutes ago, Othin said:

I wonder if Brave Axe would be good for Galeforce builds.

If Galeforce even works properly alongside her B skill. What happens if they'd both trigger from the same round of combat?

I assume her gimmick is that she can Galeforce twice (once via Raging Storm and another via Galeforce Special), and Aymr makes activating Heavy Blade easier.

The only problem I see with Aymr is if she fails to kill a ranged unit during her first round of combat, and killing the ranged unit during the second round of combat means that Galeforce would not activate, potentially leaving her stuck in Enemy Range.

I think Brave Axe is good for addressing that issue to ensure she kills a ranged unit during the first round of combat, although it might be less effective against melee units. I think she also would not need Heavy Blade with Brave Axe either unless it is against Guard enemies or something.

Hm... Maybe Brave Axe is the superior option here, since you can offset some of the lower Mt issue against melee enemies with Death Blow Sacred Seal.

If she cannot Galeforce twice though, then I will be really sad. I want to incorporate more Galeforcers into Aether Raids, and she seems really good for that role.

10 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I... actually fully agree with @Anacybele on the overuse of Black Eagles in Heroes, especially Edelgarde.

You can say that Edelgarde is the driving force of Three Houses all you want, but this isn't Fodlan and Edelgarde has no reason to have priority over the other three in a completely different setting. Hell, look at Awakening! Remember the popularity contest that remains the basis for two of its DLCs? Please, tell me where the fuck Severa and Inigo are, and don't try to pull any seasonal crap.

You can say that the Black Eagles path is the most popular, and I'd argue that that can be attributed largely to one of three factors:

• Black Eagles is the first highlighted option when you select your house.
  • Edelgarde is "waifu" material
  • Black Eagles has two post-timeskip routes

Glad someone agrees! I also would like to see regular Inigo in the game. I wish he had his original VA though. I like Liam O'Brien as his VA way more than the current one. Mick Wingert isn't it?

Well, I'll just be happy whenever I do get my legendary Elincia and legendary Claude. I'm pretty sure they'll come at some point. I'll probably try for legendary Dimitri when he comes too. Just depends on what else is going on in the game at that time.

Edited by Anacybele

2 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I wish he had his original VA though. I like Liam O'Brien as his VA way more than the current one. Mick Wingert isn't it?

Yep. Even when I'm reading Laslow dialogue in Heroes, I still envision his original VAs voice.

Also forgot to mention, even if Edelgarde is the driving force of Three Houses... her house isn't. Okay putting in Hubert makes some sense, but A. why did both BE reps have to be 5* locked when the only BL rep was the demote, and B. why did we have to get Ferdinand and Bernadetta in the same banner? Clearly one of them was the moneymaker of Black Eagles, and it certainly isn't the person who demoted.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Glad someone agrees! I also would like to see regular Inigo in the game. I wish he had his original VA though. I like Liam O'Brien as his VA way more than the current one. Mick Wingert isn't it?

Well, I'll just be happy whenever I do get my legendary Elincia and legendary Claude. I'm pretty sure they'll come at some point. I'll probably try for legendary Dimitri when he comes too. Just depends on what else is going on in the game at that time.

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

Yep. Even when I'm reading Laslow dialogue in Heroes, I still envision his original VAs voice.

Also forgot to mention, even if Edelgarde is the driving force of Three Houses... her house isn't. Okay putting in Hubert makes some sense, but A. why did both BE reps have to be 5* locked when the only BL rep was the demote, and B. why did we have to get Ferdinand and Bernadetta in the same banner? Clearly one of them was the moneymaker of Black Eagles, and it certainly isn't the person who demoted.

While I can't say much about BE in general, I think we can all agree that if one of the Three Class Leaders was going to get a Legandary Alt first, that would be Edelgard, no doubt, regardless of any bias.

2 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

Same here.

And yeah, exactly. I'd have definitely replaced Ferdinand with Sylvain. Not just because I'm biased for him, but also because he'd still be a lance cav, and a better one at that since he'd get a prf in the Lance of Ruin.

Everyone is (or was?) talking about Black Eagles bias, but I'm just sitting here realizing we finally got our second Racist unit (that I know of). First we got Racist Roy, and now we have Race-Ending Edelgard.

On a more serious note, I'm very happy that Armored Stride exists now. Armored units will be able to run different seals on Mixed Emblem teams without relying on Armored March or Armored Boots. If I end up getting more than 1 Edelgard (though I likely won't), I have a Kjelle that would definitely be happy to inherit it.
That Raging Storm, though...wow. Galeforce and a guaranteed follow-up against non-Human units. If I get her, I'm gonna have so much fun with Blazing Wind. It's just to bad she'd have to sacrifice this Passive if she wanted Special Fighter...oh well.

Green's a strong pick for me this banner, not just because of Legendary!Edelgard but also because of Legendary!Celica. Blue's not that far behind with Naga and maybe Tsubasa...but the other colors don't interest me this time.
Will I summon on this banner? I'll waste a few orbs on it, but I won't be sad if I don't get anything. I'm currently putting all of my orbs into summoning Mareeta for her Close Call, so I don't think I'll be able to afford splurging on this banner.

7 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

It's probably because they value their Black Eagle bias above all sense of reason.

I can just see the next TH banner now: Dorothea, Linhardt and Caspar (the demote) with Marianne tacked on. And the Grand Hero Battle? Felix, just so he can join his brethren (Rutger, Haar, Cormag, Conrad, etc.) in oblivion.

1 minute ago, Troykv said:

While I can't say much about BE in general, I think we can all agree that if one of the Three Class Leaders was going to get a Legandary Alt first, that would be Edelgard, no doubt, regardless of any bias.

I'd have expected Byleth to get a Legendary Alt before the house leaders. They have just as much merit, if not slightly more, than the other three. Hell, I'd have expected Rhea before Byleth.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I'd have definitely replaced Ferdinand with Sylvain. Not just because I'm biased for him, but also because he'd still be a lance cav, and a better one at that since he'd get a prf in the Lance of Ruin.

One could even make a case for Lorenz. Sure he has a Heroes Relic, but it's a Wand with no actual combat stats. And yeah he can use Magic, but when he's encountered as an enemy he prefers the use of Lances. So between the three Lance-using nobles of each house, Sylvain and Lorenz could have been put in and not cause people to think that there's some BE bias.

4 minutes ago, MilodicMellodi said:

I'm just sitting here realizing we finally got our second Racist unit (that I know of). First we got Racist Roy, and now we have Race-Ending Edelgard.

Brave Eliwood straight up murders dragons and beasts with his Ninis Ice Lance, if that counts.

4 minutes ago, MilodicMellodi said:

Everyone is (or was?) talking about Black Eagles bias, but I'm just sitting here realizing we finally got our second Racist unit (that I know of). First we got Racist Roy, and now we have Race-Ending Edelgard.

Besides BL!Roy and FE!Edelgard, there is also DW!Y!Tiki who is a dragon supremacist and HK!Marth who really hates dragons. The entire beast line up also revolves around racist mechanic gimmick.

And that does not include anyone with only effective Exclusive Weapons.

10 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Same here.

And yeah, exactly. I'd have definitely replaced Ferdinand with Sylvain. Not just because I'm biased for him, but also because he'd still be a lance cav, and a better one at that since he'd get a prf in the Lance of Ruin.

Yes, I'm still waiting for Sylvain and was disappointed in that banner.

And also agreed about what you said earlier regarding the Black Eagles, I don't know if I'll pull on this banner or just save for a BL or a seasonal banner.

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I'd have expected Byleth to get a Legendary Alt before the house leaders. They have just as much merit, if not slightly more, than the other three. Hell, I'd have expected Rhea before Byleth.

That is why I only mentioned the Class Leaders, putting Byleth and Rhea into the mix would make things more messy (specially when you could justify these two as Mythic Units too).

I think we can all agree that if one of the Three Class Leaders was going to get a Legandary Alt first, that would be Edelgard, no doubt, regardless of any bias.

Edited by Troykv

4 minutes ago, Troykv said:

That is why I only mentioned the Class Leaders, putting Byleth and Rhea into the mix would make things more messy (specially when you could justify these two as Mythic Units too).

Ah sorry shoulda been clear, I never expected ANY of the house leaders to be Legendaries... ever.

Maybe sometime down the line they woulda done a "Five Years Later..." banner featuring the house leaders in their timeskip armor and class? That's what I was thinking they'd do, not Legendary Heroes.

17 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

One could even make a case for Lorenz. Sure he has a Heroes Relic, but it's a Wand with no actual combat stats. And yeah he can use Magic, but when he's encountered as an enemy he prefers the use of Lances. So between the three Lance-using nobles of each house, Sylvain and Lorenz could have been put in and not cause people to think that there's some BE bias.

Lorenz would've been a good option too, yeah.

14 minutes ago, charmedx3 said:

Yes, I'm still waiting for Sylvain and was disappointed in that banner.

And also agreed about what you said earlier regarding the Black Eagles, I don't know if I'll pull on this banner or just save for a BL or a seasonal banner.

Me too! I love him so much! I need him so bad. xP

And awesome to know!

Lately, there has always been a character or side that IS seems to throw more into than others, intentional or not: Awakening had Lucina + Sumia (to a smaller degree of who her mom becomes); with Fates its Azura (well, they tryto, anyway, but Camilla's too powerful) + Nohr and FemCorrin by extension (RIP Hoshido); I'm [pretty certain but can't confirm] for FE7 that would be Lyn given her popularityNaturally, the same is happening in Edelgard + Black Eagles for being both the most popular house, along with El most apparently being the most invested person in the game.

The only surprise is that it's happening now. Otherwise, her being the first of the three lords is wholly expected.

As for the bannner, gosh am I glad I didnt go 100% on the legacy kids banner, casuse this one is STACKED. Red less so, but it has Marth and I've been trying to get merges of him since he first came out (Still at +2)

As busted as I expected, and then some.

Edelgard is ridiculous. If she's alone she gets ATK/DEF Solo and a dual phase Impact skill so lol @ doubling her if you don't have Null Followup. Then she gets automatic Galeforce if she initiates combat so essentially she gets to run 2 specials unless you give her GF in which case she's the only unit in the game that can move 3 times on one turn which is terrifying, oh and she destroys beasts and dragons if they're alone just cause. Then you have her inheritable C skill which gives her Armor March without the need to waste her seal or be in an armor emblem team just as the cherry on top. And she gets ATK/RES Solo just to prop up her ATK more and give her mixed bulk just in case you think you're going to oneshot her with magic.

She is a terrifying unit. Both on her own and because of what her C skill means for armor units that want to be run out of emblem teams. I know my Amelia would love her C Skill.

Now lets look at everything else, Edelgard for one is in good company. L!Celica is amazing and Nagi is not only fantastic but delicious fodder on all fronts. 

Blue has Duo Ephraim who's very powerful and good fodder but there's also Tsubasa who's uninteresting due to her saturated class and Nagi, who while nice for AR has decreased massively in quality and desirability after Altina was given for free. So blue is a pretty meh color.

Red is the stinker, Marth is fine but if you're not merging him then more than one is a waste. Ryoma is in need of a refine or something because he's lacking. Hrid is the only standout because of DC but it's not worth pulling either of the other two even if my current L!Ryoma is -ATK, I didn't even pull that one intentionally.

Colorless is actually pretty great. You can't go wrong with Mystic Boost fodder and Silque holds probably the best staff in the game so that's just stellar on two different fronts. Larum is probably the stinker here but that's not saying much as she's a pretty strong dancer in her own right and even as fodder her weapon, Disarm Trap and SPD/RES gap are passable. Chances are you will find a use for one of those things if you don't need another dancer, which generally you always could use an extra.

Green > Colorless >>> Red = Blue

Red and blue are pretty much hard skips outside of the discounted circle. I'm going to go for a full pull when the banner drops but chances are if I get say, one green or one colorless and then 4 red/blue or better yet, no green/colorless I'm just going to do the full pull and bounce. Between this banner, Close Counter, Close Call and Merric/Caeda (all of which I've unsuccessfully spent a few orbs for) I'm spread too thin currently and after we go into may I'm starting my self imposed 100-120 orb spending limit per month which will be torn into if I do a bunch of spending as soon as the may orbs come in. I've got to wait for the New Heroes banner and see if Edward is going to drop. So saving is crucial right now.

Wish I could go all in on this banner though, for sure. It's a good one.

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

That's funny. Three Houses already has (only counting non-seasonals)...

• Almost as many units in the game in less than a year than Sacred Stones has gotten in the three years of FEH.
  • More units than units sourced from Thracia 776
  • More units than those who have been added post-launch from Binding Blade
  • Had some of the lowest amount of downtime between banners introducing units from the same game than almost any other game. For reference, the downtime between the recent Fates banner and the last Fates banner (Kitsune and Wolfskin) was over a year (Feb 2019).

Echoes, the other game released after Heroes’ launch, had about the same amount of characters added in half the time. Three Houses has had a relatively slow injection while still being quick to fill out the roster and take advantage of recency bias.

Sacred Stones has a relatively small cast and so a high percentage of seasonals. Binding Blade had a fairly decent launch roster, representation is representation even if they’re not glamorous and rare. Thracia has only barely caught up to Binding Blade’s launch.