Which difficulty should I pick?

So, I know fire emblem shadow dragon on easy had a prologue that you had to playthrough and it's the only way to get Frey as a unit, does this one also have a prologue on normal? Along with a missable character? Or can I just go right into hard 1? Also anything specific I should know about going in blind into the second part of shadow dragon? (i.e. is there a rogue or assassin class? >.>)

Edited by ShironJackal
I had more questions

No missable chapters based on difficulty, you always go through the paralogues. Pretty sure thieves don't promote. You should be fine going in blind if you played Shadow Dragon. Just look up the Gaiden requirements and you'll be good.

Shadow Dragon's difficulties are an interesting subject.

If this is your first experience with Shadow Dragon it may be a good idea to start off with Normal Mode since most units will be at least somewhat viable. Hard 1 isnt that bad or anything its just majority of the cast is terrible on h1 or higher and it can be more difficult to enjoy the game initially as a result if you aren't already familiar with it.

Also regarding the gaiden chapters, none of them contain any content important to the story like the GBA games. All of them have the requirement of the player having less than a specific amount of units still alive. The idea is that the game is handing you a new unit in these gaiden chapters in order to assist those who have suffered heavy losses.

Thieves do not promote. They exist entirely as a utility and nothing more. If you insist on using on in combat you can attempt to feed Julian kills as he has nice offensive growths, but doing that is easier said then done.

Edited by CatManThree

Here's how the difficulties pan out:

Normal - where you are.  Use this as your reference point.
Hard 1 - Basically Normal minus prologue.
Hard 2 - Stats go up here.  Too easy for some, too hard for others.
Hard 3 - Slightly higher stats means that certain cheese strategies stop working here.
Hard 4 - Because the game developers didn't want to throw you into despair just yet.
Hard 5 - The hardest difficulty, complete with forged weapons and whatnot.  Forged weapons appear earlier, but this one tricks out everyone and then some.

Now, for stuff to watch out for:

- If you do a certain chapter correctly, you get three spheres.  Each is busted in their own way, though one isn't very apparent on Normal.
- One chapter has multiple ways of achieving its goal.  Despite what your instincts may tell you.
- Be careful of generic enemy manaketes - what you see on their stat page is NOT what you get in battle.  If you're worried, look up the stat boots.

Edited by eclipse