Now that the games been out, which avatar will be defaulted!

18 minutes ago, Yexin said:

as for Robin, Male is more popular simply because Female's body is completely covered under that coat

That's really not it. It was the time and the marketing. Male Robin was pushed so much you could be forgiven for not even knowing there was an option before picking up the game. That influenced many people's choice, and thus their preference.

Sexiness certainly helps popularity (Camilla...), but if it was such a determining factor Edelgard would not have gotten the most votes in this year's CYL.

1 hour ago, Florete said:

No, pre-DLC history mode used exclusively male Corrin for its story, to the point where none of the base game illustrations even had female Corrin at all. But it's not like they just swapped avatar genders for history mode, male Robin was still used as the "main" Robin (with female Robin as Grima) in the Awakening history map and was also used extensively in Lyn's history map.

That's cool but Awakening literally had the doppelganger thing to go on. And with the whole time travel plot device from Awakening it's just as easy to say that it's the Robin from an alternate timeline where they were born female instead. It's not like anyone other than Chrom's romance has actually been the story focus so they can pull little stunts like that one.

For Corrin in Warriors' story, it feels like they leaned more towards Female Corrin because the emotional aspect may be seen as a more feminine characteristic, whereas for the History Map to unlock Male Corrin, they likely leaned toward the neutral nature of the turmoil anyone may exhibit in that position. As well as likely feeling they had to show his presence off to the player as an unlockable. That seems logical to me.

Granted, they'd probably express it as something far more simplistic than I've described but that's neither here nor there.

56 minutes ago, Yexin said:

well that's because FCorrin and FByleth are sexy anime girls with cool fantasy weapons

as for Robin, Male is more popular simply because Female's body is completely covered under that coat

I feel the same but I feel that covering their body lends to people better exploring their personality differences. Like how Male Robin treats Yarne as an equal and genuinely tries to help him with his fear of... everything. On the other hand Female Robin treats Yarne more like a toy or a pet and instead kinda caves into toying around with him more.

19 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

That's cool but Awakening literally had the doppelganger thing to go on. And with the whole time travel plot device from Awakening it's just as easy to say that it's the Robin from an alternate timeline where they were born female instead. It's not like anyone other than Chrom's romance has actually been the story focus so they can pull little stunts like that one.

For Corrin in Warriors' story, it feels like they leaned more towards Female Corrin because the emotional aspect may be seen as a more feminine characteristic, whereas for the History Map to unlock Male Corrin, they likely leaned toward the neutral nature of the turmoil anyone may exhibit in that position. As well as likely feeling they had to show his presence off to the player as an unlockable. That seems logical to me.

Granted, they'd probably express it as something far more simplistic than I've described but that's neither here nor there.

Yes, yes, yes, more excuses to continue short-changing the female avatars, been there, done that. It would have been just as easy to use female Robin as the primary in history mode, but they didn't do that.

This happens all the time and people always come up with some dumb explanation for why it had to be this way and nothing ever changes, and the reason why is because whenever they do actually try to push the female leads it's accused of pushing gender politics and feminism.

Whatever, this wasn't the point nor is it the topic.

Jeralt wakes up early in the morning and wakes up his adult daughter to go to some village to fight/kill people for money while talking to her about a dream she had.

I dunno sounds like that was originally written with a guy in mind just me.

2 minutes ago, anikom15 said:

Jeralt wakes up early in the morning and wakes up his adult daughter to go to some village to fight/kill people for money while talking to her about a dream she had.

It’s possible they had a guy in mind but default to female to balance the ratio. Like how heroes put Female Byleth into the story so that it was 2 males 2 females and how most people predict female Byleth is used for the legendary so that there are more females. By the same logic a warriors 2 may use female Byleth in the story mode with male being an alt costume. 

On Thu Apr 30 2020 at 10:27 AM, IEatLasers said:

It’s possible they had a guy in mind but default to female to balance the ratio. Like how heroes put Female Byleth into the story so that it was 2 males 2 females and how most people predict female Byleth is used for the legendary so that there are more females. By the same logic a warriors 2 may use female Byleth in the story mode with male being an alt costume. 

Isn't the thing heroes used Female Byleth for is just one scene in forging bonds? They don't even refrence it later in other students forging bonds.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, anikom15 said:

Well, considering the game baseline was based on Silver Snow according to interview, and Silver Snow showing male Byleth.

So yeah, probably written with male Byleth in mind.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:57 PM, IEatLasers said:

yeah, for some things they might have had male in mind, but all the time they probably knew they were using both female and male because it has been like that always. I feel the people who male Byleth are very very defensive (and sometimes agressive, not here but other places), way more than female Robin and male Corrin fans. I hope they keep the balance if they do. 

On 4/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, Florete said:

That's really not it. It was the time and the marketing. Male Robin was pushed so much you could be forgiven for not even knowing there was an option before picking up the game. That influenced many people's choice, and thus their preference.

Sexiness certainly helps popularity (Camilla...), but if it was such a determining factor Edelgard would not have gotten the most votes in this year's CYL.

and yeah i agree with what all you have said, and also Lucina's popularity as well for example.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, anikom15 said:

Under the context that both are trained mercenaries who have traveled and fought together for years, I don't see what is strange about that.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:29 AM, CatManThree said:

Warriors wasn't developed by IS and character picks to my knowledge weighed more towards KT than IS. So I really doubt the gender choices made were because they were intended as the default options for the respective MUs. The only reason why Female Corn is the main one in Warriors is likely because of how popular she is due to the number of people who are super horny over her default design.

Regardless I don't think it was intended to matter in Three Houses. Outside of some husbando pander there isn't really much of a difference between the two in the story or supports. Only thing that would imply something like is the fact that the figure that appears on the ending mural for Silver Snow is clearly male for some reason regardless of which ever you chose.

Reveal hidden contents

81d5nbiqbmo31.png?width=990&format=png&a

According to KT themselves, popularity had nothing to do with choosing Female Corrin for the main story.

It was purely for gender balancing as the other Gleamstone characters were all male.

I would say that F!Byleth is popular and will continue to be more popular for the simple reason of being a sexualized anime girl (and I do think that is mostly true; just look at all the fan art), but Lucina (for example) is a modestly designed female protagonist and is incredibly popular as well. Characterwise, both the Byleths are fairly dull, so I don't think that has much influence on people's opinions. F!Byleth is also probably more popular because she can be paired with the more popular lords like Dimitri and Claude. Not to say that Edelgard is unpopular, but she's less popular than the other house lords.

Personally, I dislike F!Byleth's design because, not only is it unnecessarily sexualized like Camilla's design (although not nearly as exaggerated), it is pathetically impractical and strange as both a battle outfit and professor's uniform. Who goes into fights dressed in a crop top and fish net leggings? That's asking to be skewered by everyone you go against. As a professor, it's completely unprofessional and sticks out horribly compared to the rest of the Garreg Mach faculty (barring Manuela *shudders*).

Edited by twilitfalchion