• New Mystery of the Emblem
    • Awakening
    • Fates: Birthright
    • Fates: Conquest
    • Fates: Revelations
    • Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
    • Three Houses

1 hour ago, Whisky said:

I have no issue with POR winning this poll though. It's a good game. Sacred Stones, POR, and Binding Blade are probably my top 3.

Yeah, honestly the fact that FE6 is even in second place fills me with warmth and joy.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

Between the games I've played (6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14), my favorite would have to be either Sacred Stones or Conquest. The former has sentimental value as my first FE game, but I'm also very fond of its story and characters. Its comparatively low difficulty also means that I don't have to stress myself over playing perfectly. Conquest I like for basically the opposite reasons. The story is laughable, but the difficulty is high enough that I'm genuinely challenged to strategize my way through problems while not being full of cheap tricks like ambush spawns or blatantly overpowered enemies. You also don't have to deal with (often highly annoying) side tasks and/or hidden objectives as often as you do in Binding Blade and New Mystery, the other two games that I like for their difficulty.

All in all my vote went to Sacred Stones, but it's a close race.

Radiant Dawn is still my favourite. Tellius is so good and PoR is easily in my top 3 as well (3H being the other), but I love how much bigger in scope RD is, even if it doesn't land everything it tries to do. The story is great for like 90% of a huge game, which for me is enough to look past the later issues. I love how it tackles stuff the series usually glosses over, like what happens to a conquered country trying to rebuild or what it's like being thrust into ruling when you have no experience. I like the perspective shifting around a lot and would be interested in them attempting it again with better balancing. The DB being so weak and undeveloped is one of the things I would like changed if the game is ever remastered, but the rest of the cast is one of the best in the series, even if that's in large part thanks to PoR. Maps and gameplay are great, even with the weird difficulty. I'll never claim RD is objectively the best, much less perfect, but it does so many things I love that I can overlook the flaws it does have. That's kind of how I would describe 3H, too. PoR is really the only game I would describe as close to perfect.

It's still New Mystery for me. As my first FE it really hooked me up with the gameplay, especially the avatar system with a bunch of other units' customisation. The side story with Katarina, looking up guides online to recruit units, and crazy bias against Arlen cuz I somehow relate to him based on the few lines he said (he remained my favorite charater in the series). Back then this was the perferct SRPG that I was looking for.

I am not sure how to rank 3H yet. Still on SS maddening (final route). It's definitely up there in top 3 with NM, Awakening, and Conquest. Just not sure if I like it more than any of those 3.

Conquest. While that may change during the course of my marathon ranking project, as it stands, Conquest is my favorite even after the points I take off for it's awful story. The gameplay is damned near everything I could ask for in a Fire Emblem game, and that first, blind ironman playthrough I did... "Magical" is the only term that really applies.

I'm saying PoR in my profile, so I picked Binding Blade for the poll. Those two are more or less tied for my favourite entry, although for completely different reasons (FE6 is the best tough game of the series, FE9 the best for a chill run without using my brain too much). Third place would be New Mystery.

Well, Awakening is my favorite due to its cast and soundtrack. But I have to admit that its getting harder to re visit the game when the sequels improve on everything else.

Three Houses would be a close second and Holy War the third while Blazing blade the fourth.

I sorta flip/flop between two out of the four I've played. (Blazing Blade, Awakening, Echoes and Three houses.)

Blazing Blade seems to be (As someone who's only played 4 so this is a very uninfomred opinion admittingly.) a solid entry and it's tutorial and low (But not braindead) difficulty makes it a decent entry point it seems and it's characters are great, it doesn't seem to push alot of boundrys (Aside from arguably having Mark, our first Avatar, who is also my favourite.) but it does what it does well in my experience and I also love rescue and Mines/Light Runes. (I kinda want those to return as mines in FE are a ton more effective in comparison to most games by virtue of most combat being melee.)

Echoes:Shadows of Valentia does alot of things differently but I generally enjoy what it does differently, I'm a good way through the game and my only real peeve is the AI moving first and you not getting to choose where you units spawn if they attack you on the world map, which can result in unfair deaths on smaller maps.

I like the dungeon crawling and the various hidden walls and such in certain dungeons gives me a good bit joy as I love hidden walls and hidden collectables. (Kinda dissapointed that Three Houses Monestary seems to completely lack these.) 

It also has death reactions as the standard, which it kinda should be considering how perma-death is kinda one of the mainstrays of the series.

While it's a little bit broken (Invoke is arguably OP.) I at least find the "I have a fun gimmick spell that's broken in the right hands" thing alot more fun than just "I can pair units up and watch the enemy commit suicide over and over"  pair-up system.

Basically Blazing Blade is my favourite I guess "Standard" FE title while Echoes is my favourite that's trying to experiment with differenet stuff.

Edited by Samz707
Clarifying my points.

For me my favourite FE game changes every day. This is because there are so many things which Fire emblem can excel in so picking a definitive one is impossible. Most of the time however it's between fe4 & fe12.

Fe4 excels in being the odd duck among Fire Emblem games. While the gameplay is obviously flawed it never got to the point that it bothered me. It also has without a doubt the best story of any Fire Emblem game. It's really a case of a flawed game which flaws never personally bothered me (which it did with fe2) and me being fascinated by how unconventional it feels compared to every game after it.

Fe12 on the other is super conventional but it's gameplay is the best in the series when you ask me. The fact that it can be easy, challenging or frustatingly difficult is a big feed only fe10 could comes close to matching. The story is bad and the characters not as strong as some past entries but gameplay is more important to me so i don't mind it to much.

But there also days it's fe5 for it's combinations of a good story and good, but occasionally frustrating, gameplay, fe6 or fe11 for their simplicity and the fact they are easy to pick up play, fe3h for feeling modern while not having any of the enormous problems that other modern games have (by modern I mean fe13 and onwards) and there are even weird days I feel that fe10 is the best game for the things it tried to do despite not always succeeding. 

For the longest time, my favorite game in the series was Blazing Sword, but after playing more entries in the series i find it harder to pick a favorite. My current top 3 include Blazing Sword, New Mystery, and Fates.

Blazing Sword - I consider characters to be one of the most important things in a Fire Emblem game and FE7 probably has my favorite cast of characters in the whole series. Gameplay, i think, is also pretty good too with some exceptions like Battle Before Dawn, obviously. Story, however, i'm not too hot about. Also not a fan of having to play through the story like two or three times to unlock HHM. That can be pretty tiring. But those characters tho, that's the real selling point for me.

New Mystery of the Emblem - Probably the most difficult entry i've played so far (not including FE5). The gameplay here is the tops. Story i think is fine even with the inclusion of Kris. Sure I do find it annoying seeing them constantly being praised and whatnot but if i use my imagination and pretend that they're not there or that they're another character they become less obnoxious. Characters are okay. I don't dislike any of them, they just don't stand out to me. With exceptions of Castor, Caesar, and Linde.

Fates - Birthright was my introduction to the series and the one to make the most of an impact on me. Had I gotten Conquest as my first instead i probably would have found the game to be far too difficult and lose interest. That's why i went with Birthright instead, i read that it was more suited to new and casual players. Birthright also has one of my favorite cast of characters, just below FE7. Gameplay i think is not too special but not too bad, just a little above Awakening. Story for Birthright i think is passable. It's just a basic evil kingdom vs good guys story. Nothing too special. At least not as horrendous as Conquest's story. (also what's up with the back of the Birthright box having a gameplay screenshot of Conquest?)

Conquest's gameplay we can all agree is top notch. But that's all i really have to say about it. Its story is a complete dumpster fire, and i'm also not too big a fan of the characters here with the exception of Inigo (or Laslow i guess). One really cool thing i liked tho were the cutscenes showing off the 3d models. Conquest doesn't have the same personal impact on me that Birthright had but it's gameplay is still among the best in the series. 

Revelation is better off treated as a sandbox game. At first i thought it was a decent game but on my second run of it, i found myself not enjoying it as much. When you get to the Valla section of the game that's where i think the game starts going down. I think the maps become too gimicky with the moving platforms and dragon veins and whatnot. The only way i'll play it nowadays is with busted units just cheesing through the chapters.

But let's not forget the music. Good lord, the music in Fates slaps HARD. Road Taken and Mingled Tears are among my favorite tracks in the whole series. Not to mention Rena Strober's work and the Endgame music. When I first heard those songs i had shivers going down my spine. 

But overall, I have a sort of love/hate relationship with Fates.

Spoiler

Birthright is also the only FE game that has managed make me cry. In Ch. 26 when Xander's double edged blade cuts Elise's heart in two. Sure it's a little silly now but back then when i didn't think too much into the story it was the most heart wrenching thing i've seen, seeing him kill his innocent little sister then seeing him turn lowkey suicidal.

Honorable Mention goes to Thracia 776.

Edited by JAZ_2002

Awakening was my first and will always hold a special place in my heart because of that (even with its many flaws and lackluster story). That said, having played other FE games (3H, PoR, Shadow Dragon, New Mystery, Fates: BR and RV, SoV, Blazing Blade) since then, I can say that my favorite is currently tied between Path of Radiance and Blazing Blade. They both have excellent narratives, great, memorable characters, and the same rewarding pre-Awakening classic FE gameplay that I can really appreciate (even if I still die somewhat frequently on easy). 

Edited by twilitfalchion