What are some of your favorite slang, euphemism, metaphors, idioms, oxymorons, figure of speech, etc.?

XRay

Not sure if there is a term for those all those types of words/phrases; I think figure of speech is the closest one? But I am not sure if figure of speech includes slang.

But yeah, what the title says! What are some notable non-literal words/phrases that expresses that you know? Any of them are your favorites? What are your least favorite? What are some that you find notable? If you speak another language, are there any interesting figure of speech in your other language?

... like so totally...
This is one of my favorite group of slang words/phrase. They are basically filler words that does not add anything to a sentence. I guess it is said when someone is excited? When I hear this phrase, it sounds like something a So-Cal person would say. You can also use the words individually and sprinkle copious amounts of it throughout your speech to satirically mimic how people from So-Cal talk. For usage comparison: "He is hot!" versus "He is like so totally hot!" or "OH EM GEE! So like he is so totally like so cute and like totally hot! Like oh my god!"

Butter someone up
It means to flatter someone. This is one of my favorites because it sounds a little naughty.

Literally
I find it interesting in that the word "literally" is not always used in a way to mean "literally."

Hella/Hecka
I think this a Nor-Cal thing. I do not think I have ever heard anyone else outside of Nor-Cal say hella or hecka. It just means "very," like "Superman is hella cool!" versus "Superman is very cool!"

Clap Cheeks
I learned this euphemism for procreation from Zoomers. It makes me feel OLD when I hear it. Like when I was younger, we used the term/phrase "they did it" or "doing it" with emphasis on the word do.

Dude
I hear it more often when I was younger. I do not hear it as much anymore.

Bro / Bruh
Basically "Dude."

Ey! / Yo! / Ey yo!
Basically "Hi!" but sounds more ghetto. I use "Yo!" most often out of the three.

Cali
I have never heard of any native Californians say Cali. I say it very occasionally, and I think I picked up the habit when I was in New York. I do like the way it sounds though, as it is short and sweet, and I think it is a good girl name. Nia also sounds nice, although I have never ever heard of anyone shortening California to Nia.

Big Apple
Similarly, when I was New York, I do not think I have heard any native New Yorkers say Big Apple.

The States
The first time I heard it was when I visited my cousins for New Zealand when I was younger. Most Americans I know use the term "US" or "America" more. From my travels, I hear "the States" to be more commonly used among American expats and non-American English speakers.

Edited by XRay
I swear I was in Far from the Forest.

Yay! It got moved to the Forest! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Ika Musume said:

One word:

BRUH

Best slang ever invented, certainly.

Yo! How is it going?

I think I remember hearing that a euphemism for coffin/casket in Ireland is "wooden onesie". Anyway, that's one of my favorites.

And how can I forget the best slang term of them all?

YEET!

My favorite has got be a Japanese slang term for “fake otaku” or “fake anime fan” known as “ikirito” which is derived from “kirito” as in SAO and I find that hilarious

1 minute ago, Ottservia said:

My favorite has got be a Japanese slang term for “fake otaku” or “fake anime fan” known as “ikirito” which is derived from “kirito” as in SAO and I find that hilarious

Beautiful. Just.... beautiful.

6 hours ago, XRay said:

like so totally...
This is one of my favorite group of slang words/phrase

you are definitely not alright

I've recently picked up "do as the Dutch would do"

Can't remember where I heard it but I use it to mean do literally anything alternatively to what is currently being done

Although the original phrase refers to committing suicide which I didnt know when i first started saying it

I also like transposing the first letters of words or swapping letters in names to make them sound different 

Like Danongorf

6 hours ago, XRay said:

When I hear this phrase, it sounds like something a So-Cal person would say

You mean a normie-girl. You know the ones, the ones who think high-school popularity is everything god i hate those bitches.

Nothing comes to mind but I remeber this so I had to say it.

I don't know how widespread this is, but I really enjoy verbalizing common abbreviations before stating those abbreviations near the end just to screw with people. Example: NBD means "no big deal", right? So I would say "it's no big nbd". Ditto for "In my imo" when expressing an opinion. 

1 hour ago, This boi uses Nino said:

You mean a normie-girl. You know the ones, the ones who think high-school popularity is everything god i hate those bitches.

Woof. You must have been pleasant as a child

47 minutes ago, Ika Musume said:

Livin' large! (Another awesome slang term) HBU?

I am cooped at home mostly. I did do some grocery shopping today though.

19 hours ago, XRay said:

Big Apple

Similarly, when I was New York, I do not think I have heard any native New Yorkers say Big Apple.

I didn''t know you were New York.

I personally use Dude most of the time

One I've seen sorta die out is "Dafuq" which was commonly used to express great confusion. I still use that from time to time.

35 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

I didn''t know you were New York.

Just for four years for college. I wanted to stay, but it was too expensive, and the pay was really low. The best job offer I got was around $17 per hour I think, maybe a little less; back in Sacramento, I am getting offered $20 per hour and the cost of living is far cheaper. That is like an extra $400 per month, and my money goes farther. If I make it big one day though, I would like to move back to New York, ideally in downtown Manhattan, near the Rockefeller Center, near the MET, or in downtown Brooklyn. There is also Staten Island since I think the property prices are much cheaper there, but it is kind of a pain to ride the bus to the ferry everyday and then you still have to switch to a subway after the ferry.

4 minutes ago, jeigansucksexp said:

all inferior versions of "oi"

I have not heard anyone use oi in America. I hear it when I watch Harry Potter or British media though.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I have not heard anyone use oi in America. I hear it when I watch Harry Potter or British media though.

yeah it's pretty much absent in the states. but i'm not british and i still use it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ fairly common in where i live in

• 2 years later...