Favorite House

Which house is your favorite?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which house is your favorite?

• Black Eagles
    • Blue Lions
    • Golden Deer
    • Ashen Wolves

Now that Three Houses has been out for a good while, there's probably been enough time for people to decide which collective house is their favorite. So, of the four houses, which is your favorite as a collective whole? I'm not asking about individual characters, or any of the story routes in the game. Simply each house as a group of students.

In the Golden Deer, Claude, Hilda, and Lorenz all mesh well, but Ignatz and Raphael are kinda off on their own, and Lysithea feels like a Black Eagle. Marianne kind of fits well with Claude, Hilda, and Lorenz, but she separates herself so much that it can be hard to see.

In the Black Eagles, Caspar and Linhardt seem like Ignatz and Raphael, both off kind of on their own. Ferdinand has his one-sided rivalry with Edelgard, and he has a past and chemistry with Dorothea, but that's about it. Petra bounces around everywhere because she's trying to learn more about the country, and Hubert is pretty much exclusively glued to Edelgard's back.

In the Blue Lions, several characters are established to have had a prior relationship, and that seems to lend itself well to a more harmonious house. Dimitri, Felix, Sylvain, and Ingrid all have an established past together. Mercedes and Annette have an established friendship as well, but they both seem to mesh with the rest of their house. Ashe is really the odd one out, but he kind of seems like he would be in the other houses as well.

As for the Ashen Wolves, there isn't enough of them to seem like a full house to me. But, the four that are there do seem very harmonious together, I give them that!

As far as pure names and animal representation go, Ashen Wolves is the coolest one, in my opinion. But, for the houses themselves, I'd give it to the Blue Lions. That's the group that seems to mesh the best and seems the most harmonious, I think.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Definitely Blue Lions for me.

While it definitely stems from them being my first house, but I can't help but love them. Dimitri is my fav lord in the game and I greatly enjoy and empathise with his arc. I enjoy how each of the cast have something with them involving the story (Ashe and Lonato, Sylvain and his brother, Felix and his dad, Mercedes and Death Knight). It really adds to them imo. Overall, I just really love them all.

My second favs would probably be the Ashen Wolves. I like the synergy between them all and the DLC helps add to them.

So far, Black Eagles. Part of it would have to be that they were my first house. But I love the different characters individually, and they all complement each other very well. I think the thing I like most about them is that they really surprised me, and in a good way. As good as the characters in the other houses are, you get the sense of who they are almost right away.

Because of Awakening and Fates, part of me was scared that Bernadetta would just be her main gimmick. I was so glad to see her development and level of depth.

Hubert in particular would have to be the biggest surprise. Since he's basically the dark mage chancellor, but as a playable student, one would expect him to be cold and aloof, but it's surprising how much he actually cares, and it's not in a typical, "jerk with a hidden heart of gold" sense, since it's not really hidden. I love his supports with the other Black Eagles students, especially Bernadetta. 

I could go on, but I'll stop there and just say the Black Eagles are easily my favourite. 

I more or less like the Blue Lions and Golden Deer best equally, but I voted Blue Lions simply because Sylvain is my favorite character in the whole game. 😛 I also actually enjoyed Azure Moon's story a bit more than Verdant Wind, even though VW was great too for the amount of lore we got from it.

I haven not played the Black Eagles or Ashen Wolves, and I do intend to eventually explore the latter. The Black Eagles never interested me as much as the others and I don't know when/if I'll do Crimson Flower or Silver Snow.

Blue Lions here as well. It has the biggest concentration of characters I love in it (Dimitri being best in the game, Felix being second best, fight me). Dimitri is my favorite male lord, Felix is amazing, Ingrid has a surprising amount of depth, Sylvain has a great character arc, Mercedes and Annette swiftly became two of my favorite female characters in the game, and Ashe is precious. Dedue is really the only one I'm "meh" oh. They all work well together, they're competent even for beginners playing the game, and their supports are mostly top notch.

Next would be Golden Deer. I love Claude, Hilda, Lorenz, Lysithea, and Marianne. But I'm eh on Raphael and Ignatz (they seem like good guys but they're not as interesting) and Leonie can be annoying at times. It's a good middle ground.

Last is the Black Eagles. I really like Edelgard as a character but cannot support her as a person which lowers her ranking a bit. Hubert is entertaining but I also want to punch him sometimes. Caspar and Linhardt feel like they could have been excluded and nothing would have changed. Bernadetta is one of my least favorite characters in the franchise (losing only to Soren). Ferdinand, Petra, and Dorothea are truly great though, absolute standouts in the house and characters I always try to recruit. The only truly redeeming members of the Black Eagles are Edelgard, Ferdinand, Petra, and Dorothea. So the BE has the fewest number of characters I like the highest of characters I don't.

I don't have the DLC so no comment on the AW.

For many of the same reasons as vanguard333 I'd have to go with Black Eagles (although I haven't played AM yet so jury is out on how Dimitri and Dedue match up to their counterparts).

How a specific character actually plays (how they perform in battles) influences my opinion on them as much, or more than, their supports. With that being said, I enjoyed playing with Edelgard despite leaving her in her canon classes on my first playthrough (even though those classes are awful and Claude's are so much better it's ridiculous), and she's my favourite lord from a thematic perspective.

Bernadetta seemed to always proc her Indech crest exactly when she wanted it most, and I really did like her as a character. I still think IS could have been better about the way they treat her anxiety, but I didn't feel like we were supposed to be laughing at Bernadetta, which I imagine is something that would really affect how you find her character. Petra is forever a star, and Linhardt is a personal favourite. Dorothea and Caspar were just good characters, as opposed to great.

Golden Deer only just edges out Blue Lions and Ashen Wolves, mainly because I've spent more time with them. Ignatz is criminally underrated and Lysithea is a beast. Lorenz and Hilda were a bit underwhelming, especially given how much hype seemed to surround the latter in the fandom. Leonie was a shock hero (no original expectations for her at all, but she regularly pulls through for me on every playthrough)

Ashen Wolves are fun additions, they just don't have as much house antics as everyone else, cause they're smaller and not a proper route. BL on the other hand, has Ashe and Annette - I was the most psyched to recruit Ashe on my first run, but he was just a let down to use (I think I expected too much of him in hindsight, but didn't optimise him for what he ended up being cos I didn't plan his build very well). Annette I recruited by accident, and because my first run was only on Hard her rally niche was fairly useless, she was outclassed as a mage, and I just didn't find her interesting. I'm expecting a lot more from her character once I get to play with BL though.

came here expecting to be one of like two golden deer votes but somehow they're currently ahead

the day is young, though, but i didn't think there were even eight of you. cheers.

This will be long.

1st. Blue Lions 

Spoiler

I was torn between BE and BL. However, I chose BL as I like the majority of the cast more and I have used them at every playthrough of the game except my first one. Ingrid, Sylvain, Felix, Annete (which I only recently started using and is a BEAST with those rallies, however on non Maddening difficulties it's hard to appreciate I believe) and Mercedes (especially after Jeritza was included) are some characters I really love, especially the first 3 that have become some of my favourites in the entire game. Ashe is boring and I don't care that much about him. Dimitri is also an awesome character and a beast of a unit (like the other BL people) however out of the big 4 (Edelgard, Dimitri, Claude, Rhea) he might be the best unit but I place him 3rd, after Rhea. He was competing with Edelgard and would have been 2nd but really I found his redemption luckluster and a let down and then I kind of lost interest on his character, as in my opinion at least it was too sudden have him become from the "monster" he was to the perfect guy and King in a minute or something with Rodrigue's death (something that felt too cliche). Also I think AM was way more fleshed out compared to CF. 

2nd.Black Eagles

Spoiler

BE is second however I was really torn between them. Reason they went 2nd was because I didn't like the characters universally as I did the BL ones. I found Linhardt and Petra be Mister and Miss Perfect with a gimmick respectively (they awesome units however). I didn't like how Bernadetta was played as a joke at times and how they were making her deliberately annoying, despite being an interesting character that could do far more. Caspar is pretty boring and didn't do much for me. Hubert was interesting, only thing is I felt that his devotion to Edelgard was played too much to the point that when I got to the good part I was already unintrested. However, Dorothea and Ferdinand ended up being really good characters and I enjoyed them quite a lot, also I feel that some of their supports are some of the best in the game (especially the one between the two of them), a shame that Ferdinand is always RNG screwed as a unit everytime I use him. Edelgard is the highlight of this house for me, I absolutely love her character and even though I don't agree with her methods I believe that good characters or characters that can be enjoyed don't have to be good and moral people. As a unit with Raging storm she is incredible and even though her personal classes are bad Wyvern promotion fixes her problems for me at least. The thing is that liking the Lord and 2 characters while having problem with the other two doesn't help like this house overally. 

3rd. Golden Deer

Spoiler

Golden Deer is a weird thing for me. I played it around the period where I was getting bored of the game and I needed a break from it and I believe that had a huge effect on my enjoyment of this route. I don't care about/dislike Ignatz, Lorenz, Raphael. I really liked and enjoyed Marriane and Hilda as characters both of them were pretty simple but not too boring and being good units also helped a lot. Lysithea is a monster of a unit (maybe not the best in the game but one of the best for sure) her character was also pretty nice and would be even better if she wasn't acting so bad (I will leave it at that) in some of her supports for no reason most of the time. Claude is my least favourite of the Lords. He didn't have a strong background unlike Edelgard and Dimitri. I felt as though he had no flaws as a person (something the other two had plenty of) and I guess that's his thing, being secretive and untrustive however, it was subtle and made him kind of boring in the war arc. Last thing, the whole schemes thing got old really quick. I want to give GD another chance since so many people seem to love that route. 

I don't have the DLC so I don't have anything to say about it. 

24 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

2nd.Black Eagles

Hide contents

BE is second however I was really torn between them. Reason they went 2nd was because I didn't like the characters universally as I did the BL ones. I found Linhardt and Petra be Mister and Miss Perfect with a gimmick respectively (they awesome units however). I didn't like how Bernadetta was played as a joke at times and how they were making her deliberately annoying, despite being an interesting character that could do far more. Caspar is pretty boring and didn't do much for me. Hubert was interesting, only thing is I felt that his devotion to Edelgard was played too much to the point that when I got to the good part I was already uninterested. However, Dorothea and Ferdinand ended up being really good characters and I enjoyed them quite a lot, also I feel that some of their supports are some of the best in the game (especially the one between the two of them), a shame that Ferdinand is always RNG screwed as a unit every time I use him. Edelgard is the highlight of this house for me, I absolutely love her character and even though I don't agree with her methods I believe that good characters or characters that can be enjoyed don't have to be good and moral people. As a unit with Raging storm she is incredible and even though her personal classes are bad Wyvern promotion fixes her problems for me at least. The thing is that liking the Lord and 2 characters while having problem with the other two doesn't help like this house overall.

How are Linhardt and Petra Mr. and Ms. Perfect? Sure; they're among the few students who don't have huge issues, but I don't see how they're too perfect. 

I can agree about Caspar, though I will say that I did like how he starts off seeing everything in terms of black-&-white morality and has to learn to understand nuance. 

My undisputed favorites would be The Black Eagles. I love Edelgard, she is my favorite character (and also considered her the best character in the game, I love her background). The girls (Dorothea, Bernadette, Petra) are great, and their personal stories are very good. Hubert and Ferdinand have very different personalities, and to me they are the best advisers Edelgard can have as ruler. The perfect balance.

The only route I have not played is the Golden Deer route, but I have recruited several of its members, and they would be my second favorites. Lysithea is in the top 3 of my favorite characters. Other than that she is a top tier unit. In Azure Moon I was able to recruit Hilda, she is charming. I made her Lord Wyvern, and I was great with her. Claude is the Lord with the coolest personality, he is the type of person with
 that you can have a nice conversation and have a few beers with him.

The last ones for me would be the Blue Lions. Dimitri is the Lord that I like the least, although as a unit he is excellent. Enjoy the supports between them.

I haven't played the DLC, so I can't comment on the Ashen Wolves.

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

How are Linhardt and Petra Mr. and Ms. Perfect? Sure; they're among the few students who don't have huge issues, but I don't see how they're too perfect. 

I can agree about Caspar, though I will say that I did like how he starts off seeing everything in terms of black-&-white morality and has to learn to understand nuance. 

I guess I didn't explain myself properly as I wanted to be quick. In my opinion at least, both of them have nearly no flaws expect their gimmick (which can't be considered as a flaw especially in the case of Petra). Not that I don't realise that they have merits, for example Petra fighting for Brigid and being more of a "Hostage" in there is something that gives her depth. Also both of them have some nice supports however, I felt that they were not developing that much compared to the other character. It is an opinion I formed quite a while back as it's been a while since I last used them so things could change as now I am replaying Black Eagles. 

I really love blue lions and the story seems the happiest to me. My headcannon is recruiting everyone I can into blue lions and marrying dimitri hehe.

While the black eagles are the most fun to play with, sadly the timeskip stories aren't that great. CF is way too short and SS is just diet VW. 

Golden deer was my first playthrough so it will always be special to me but its not as impactful as the other two. 

I just got the DLC and wowie I plan to marry Yuri for sure I love his silky voice ahaha. My lil ashen babies def need more love and attention 

Blue Lions overall had most of my favorites. I played Black Eagles first and thought they were good and then I played Blue Lions and found most of them to be way better. Golden Deer is in between them with some really good and some I don't really care about. Then Ashen Wolves I only like Constance and Yuri (though Yuri isn't quite as cool as I thought he'd be).

Overall, Ashen Wolves takes it due to its small house size coincidentally leading to me liking all of its characters. Especially Hapi, who is one of my favorite FE characters ever.

As for the actual main houses, probably Black Eagles, for Edelgard, Bernadetta, and Linhardt.