Someone's trying to ban the Switch in the US (or at least the sales of it)

Anacybele

I just saw this.

I never heard about the original investigation. But hopefully this one goes nowhere too. Why would anyone ban the Switch in any way out here? There'd be such an uproar, I'd think, given how much it sells. And it's a great console and it consistently gets great games.

If the Switch can't be sold here, we won't get its games anymore and that would be horrible (because why release a game in a place that has no way to play it). No Zelda BotW 2, no potential FE Warriors 2, no more Mario, nothing. Not until the next console. 😞

Please tell me this is surely not going to happen.

To anyone lurking who wants to know the reason:

In the last few years, patent troll Gamevice filed a complaint against Nintendo for IP infringement, leading to the US International Trade Commission to open up an investigation.

The patent troll claimed that the Nintendo Switch console infringes on Gamevice’s patents. Now, 2 years after the first investigation was launched, Gamevice has successfully forced the US International Trade Commission to reopen their investigation against Nintendo. The patent troll wants the US to ban the sale of all Nintendo Switch consoles.

I think I remember hearing about this soon after the Switch's launch. Gamevice failed the first time, so it's likely they'll get shutdown again. Just looking at the difference between the joycons and their controllers makes me want to laugh at this. Gatekeeping technology is really hard to do.

I actually believe this is more of a marketing ploy. To get people to talk about their product.

Yeah, seems just because the joycons happen to be able to attach and detach from the Switch, Gamevice is claiming Nintendo stole the idea/technology. That's like saying all wired controllers were stolen from whoever was the first to make those. That's ridiculous. The Switch should not be banned here for such a stupid reason.

Edited by Anacybele

Patent trolls are a huge issue in the US and really annoying. The US patent system did not keep up with electronics and software, so patent trolls are able to make vague enough patents and sue people over ridiculous reasons. 

The good news is that they're never trying to win: they're after settlement money, as they ask for less money than the court costs. They can't win, and they know it, as it's not their goal.

I'm surprised that they're trying again; they must be really stupid. 

Okay, so I thought this kind of stupid was over after the Edge case finally stopped.

Guess not, precedent alone might kill this case. Also wouldn't affect me anyway I guess.

6 hours ago, TheeBill said:

I actually believe this is more of a marketing ploy. To get people to talk about their product.

If that’s the intent, they failed.

I’d much rather keep my current joycons or buy more as needed.

This is seriously stupid, if this goes through I would lose faith in humanity. Not that I have much to begin with. 

I do remember the edge case, it is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in my life