Is anyone else terrible at playing Fire Emblem, but still really enjoys playing it anyway?

twilit

I'll admit it. I'm terrible at Fire Emblem. My impatience, lack of understanding of how some of the mechanics work, and lack of strategic ability hinder me from playing well to the point that I struggle even on easy or normal difficulties. For example, this morning I was playing Path of Radiance on easy (for the first time; I'm really enjoying it by the way) and had to reset Chapter 5 four times and still haven't beaten it. It's probably because of how I played Awakening, but my approach to FE has been to grind my units to be unstoppable tanks of destruction, and as you know, older FE games not only don't allow for that kind of grinding (or no grinding in most cases), but permadeath is the only option. Despite this, the story, characters, gameplay, and charm that Fire Emblem offers still has me coming back for more.

So, I thought I'd ask. How many of you are terrible at Fire Emblem, but still really enjoy playing it?

(Hope this post is okay, mods. It's my first thread on the forum.)

I was pretty grindy when I started with Awakening too. But after playing Conquest I started to get better. I haven't done any permadeath playthroughs, because I don't like the idea of losing a unit to a 1% crit. The most I'll do is play Classic just so I don't save/reset like I used to in Awakening.

5 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I mean that describes my playstyle for basically my entire childhood. I didn't start playing seriously, paying attention to stats and the like, until... Jeez, I don't even know when.

It kinda sounds stupid, but I felt that if I grind like that and rely on the sheer strength of my units that I'm not playing Fire Emblem the right way. I'm not oblivious to stats or the weapon triangle, but brute force is typically my go to. That's why I was happy to find out that 3H allows for grinding as well. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to play on normal or hard when I pick it up this week though.

Edited by twilitfalchion

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

It kinda sounds stupid, but I felt that if I grind like that and rely on the sheer strength of my units that I'm not playing Fire Emblem the right way. I'm not oblivious to stats or the weapon triangle, but brute force is typically my go to. That's why I was happy to find out that 3H allows for grinding as well. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to play on normal or hard when I pick it up though.

I personally lost my taste for grinding ages ago, after my third successful Apotheosis run of Awakening. It kind of hit me how little of a payoff there had been for all that grind, and now I prefer it when FE games focus on giving you a finite supply of exp to manage.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I personally lost my taste for grinding ages ago, after my third successful Apotheosis run of Awakening. It kind of hit me how little of a payoff there had been for all that grind, and now I prefer it when FE games focus on giving you a finite supply of exp to manage.

Yeah, after my third playthrough of Grind Emblem: Awakening, I found myself pretty burned out from all the time spent grinding. Playing Path of Radiance so far has been a nice change from Awakening and it keeps the story moving along instead of getting bogged down in DLC EXP maps.

If I had ironmanned My first run on FE, (sacred stones,) I'd have lost almost everyone good.

If I was ironmanning my current Berwick Saga run, every single unit except for one of my healers would be dea.d

Oh yes, I'm a horrible FE player. I consistently play the easiest difficulty and still find myself resetting because I made a stupid mistake/overestimated my units capabilities. However, that doesn't mean I love the series any less.

Ah yes, I am not the best at this game.

Citation: My EIRIKA ROUTE sacred stones +10% growths ironman, where I lost everyone except for six people. (Eirika, Ephraim, Seth, L'arachel, Syrene, and Tethys)

Citation from the citation: Me forgetting to de-equip Tana's heavy spear and a pirate doubling and killing her.

Yeah, I will never play maddening/lunatic, hard maybe, but that's pushing it. I can play on classic but I have to reset a lot. I felt no shame doing my Blue Lions run on casual mode.

I can do very rudimentary tactics, but beyond that I'm a pretty straight forward player. Charge in head first, do some damage, and then pull back so that units who need levels can take the final blow.

I'm admiting too, I'm not the best at FE. And I'm not feeling lonely at all x) But I tried Difficult/permadeath for Echoes, and first time I did it, was terrible. First day I play with this difficulty I was trying to keep my units safe, but the second day I don't respect this anymore. So I lost lot of my units, but I finnished it anyway with most of the units. But I think of play again Echoes in this difficulty, and decided this time to play better this time. But I use to play it as I feel, anyway if it goes bad (that's it for every game!), I'm not really a strategic person.

I was when I was new, I usually do a normal playthrough first time through so I can get a grip on the mechanics

but that's just me in general, it doesn't matter to me that weather or not I'm good at a game, only thing that does if I'm having fun with it

3 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Literally me. I've killed every playable character in FE at least once.

but have you ever gotten 3-13 killed?

I'm currently playing through my first Ironman run (which I am doing on FE9) and I am actually pleasantly surprised that no single unit died yet despite the number of dangerous situations I found myself in already, and I've come a long way. Learning about trading weapons around to equip them for enemy phase and rescue-dropping really did me some good.

But there was a time where I just wasn't like that. I remember full well in that first playthrough where I used Fiora I placed her smack in the middle of a silver bow's range, that was really dumb. Never got her killed since then, tho, at least, and nowadays she just continues to always be my best unit in every single FE7 playthrough I make. As much as I really sucked back then though, I was still attached to the series anyway, and here I am.

My first FE game was Radiant Dawn.

I got real good real fast thanks to that lol. Now I usually do several run throughs of the game and will only play on casual mode for grinding purposes or to just focus on the story if that's what I'm after. I don't really enjoy maddening difficulties but I can play them with virtually no resetting. I also don't really do challenge runs, I use who I want and don't worry about LTC or any of that crap.

I'm decent. I'm definitely no Maddening mode kind if player, but I do really enjoy the gameplay. I mostly play for the stories, which is why I never play Classic, unless I'm looking for a challenge, as I want to be sure to experience as many of the character's individual stories as possible.

You can always get better at Fire Emblem if you practice, and learn. I started out terrible (had to reset on Lyn mode 8x because it was "hard" terrible), got to a point where I was OK, and eventually got to the point where I think I am good at them. I am no Dondon, but I can get my way through a good challenge run when I put my mind to it.

7 hours ago, LoneStar said:

I was pretty grindy when I started with Awakening too. But after playing Conquest I started to get better. I haven't done any permadeath playthroughs, because I don't like the idea of losing a unit to a 1% crit. The most I'll do is play Classic just so I don't save/reset like I used to in Awakening.

Funny you mentioned Conquest there, as I find it also marked a turning point in my ability to play Fire Emblem games. Before it I was OK at Fire Emblem, I would usually play on the normal, and if I really liked the game might move up to one of the harder modes, like HNM, but never the hardest, and while I tried to get through the terrible old translation of Thracia, I hit a point where I looked at the ballistae nightmare that is 18b, and decided to wait till I time I wanted to reset as much as I would need to beat it (which never seemed to come). Now my brother finding Awakening Normal mode to be similar to easy modes on earlier fire emblem games convinced me to start that one on Hard, and it felt about right, and Birthright was the same, so when I came to Conquest I started on hard. It pushed my abilities to its limits even with multiple resets, and when I finished it, I felt like I could complete any Fire Emblem game, on any difficulty, and so I started going back to the older games to complete those old mode that so thoroughly daunted me before. Push yourself, don't worry about mistakes, look at the gameplay of others and you will get better, but it takes time.

Yeah, I'm pretty sucky at playing FE as well. My first game was Awakening when I was 11, but even in all the years since then I've only played a FE game on classic once (on the ones where you were given the option) I'm playing Genealogy right now (just got to second generation) and even then it is really easy to load a save. The one time I played classic was when I was 13 and decided I would play Birthright with it, since I had three years of experience with FE. But then I killed both Mozu and Oboro in the same chapter, and vowed to never play on classic again. However, I kinda hate how 13 year old me was so I'll likely play classic again. 

Edited by CustardPudding

59 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You can always get better at Fire Emblem if you practice, and learn.

Exactly! And that is true for any game. Yet some people pretend that games should offer them an easy way out, instead of learning how to play.
Acquiring new skills demands commitment, which is perfectly compatible with enjoyment.

I follow play throughs and guides and am OK ish at it. Lol I am able to finish all the battles with a dwindles army. It seems hard to advance all my units together so they are all strong enough to stay alive the whole battle.

Eh.  I play for fun, and I don't really care how good I am at it.  In the end, it's a single-player game.

That being said, I've happily killed off every member of my army at least once.  Shadow Dragon does things like that to me!