Blue Lions is the saddest

This is my opinion of course. I believe it is the saddest. I’ve played through this path 3 times trying to find all the secrets so to speak. I noticed that you can end up with Dedue or without Dedue after the time skip which means either he’s dead or he’s not. Or he could still be alive but hiding somewhere. In the beginning of the time skip Dimitri is like a lifeless and dead person. He only cares for killing everyone who stands in his including his own friends and you. Which makes me sad that he let his emotions get him that far. Edelguard ends up with all her army killed by you or the Alliance if they are able to in certain battles. At the same time Black eagles was sad. I did not support her decisions at all and the second time I played through that I went with the church. 

So, um, have you played Claude's story yet?  It's hard to say which route is the saddest without context.  Though if you have:

Spoiler

Dimitri's treatment in Claude's route was the saddest by far.

Edited by eclipse

I hope there would be another route like FE:revelation. That, they dont have to kill each others. Kill the main boss, instead.

Also, I hope Edergard have Miracle skill

Edited by Hong Nhi

6 hours ago, Hong Nhi said:

I hope there would be another route like FE:revelation. That, they dont have to kill each others. Kill the main boss, instead.

That would ruin the game's theme of the leaders of every faction being cursed to inevitable conflict among other things. Adding that would only be a detriment to the game.

On 5/4/2020 at 2:02 AM, Hong Nhi said:

Also, I hope Edergard have Miracle skill

In addition to what was said before, there is no "main boss". If you're Edelgard, your enemy is the church. If you're Dimitri or Claude, your enemy is Edelgard. They can never fight on the same side because they all have different enemies.

I can think of one common enemy, Thales. 

I also found Azure Moon the saddest, or rather the darkest. Crimson Flower I actually feel is the most hopeful, despite the sacrifices. Would say Verdant Wind if it didn't have the highest casualty number of any route.

There is no perfect path really. The game is a tragedy

On 5/7/2020 at 8:14 PM, Landmaster said:

In addition to what was said before, there is no "main boss". If you're Edelgard, your enemy is the church. If you're Dimitri or Claude, your enemy is Edelgard. They can never fight on the same side because they all have different enemies.

yeah, that's ok though. If they are all allies, I cant play all those charaters at the same. Remind me of FE:revelation.That recruit charaters from both sides. when u can only bring 16 every maps. 

What's next ? Fire emblem : romance of the three kingdoms ?

On 5/8/2020 at 12:27 AM, Darkmoon6789 said:

I can think of one common enemy, Thales. 

I also found Azure Moon the saddest, or rather the darkest. Crimson Flower I actually feel is the most hopeful, despite the sacrifices. Would say Verdant Wind if it didn't have the highest casualty number of any route.

There is no perfect path really. The game is a tragedy

have u play golden deer ? 

Edited by Hong Nhi

3 hours ago, Hong Nhi said:

yeah, that's ok though. If they are all allies, I cant play all those charaters at the same. Remind me of FE:revelation.That recruit charaters from both sides. when u can only bring 16 every maps. 

What's next ? Fire emblem : romance of the three kingdoms ?

have u play golden deer ? 

Yes, just refering to the fact that Dimitri, Edelgard and Rhea dies in golden deer. No other route have them all dead like that. Claude survives whenever you side with him or not and have a quite good ending.

Still, it is my second best ending. It is just that crimson flower basically accomplishes the same as Claude does in verdant wind, this is because at the end of the day, the two of them basically want the same thing. With the main difference that less people are dead in crimson flower. (But verdant wind does have a final two chapters that probably should also have been in crimson flower, Edelgard really needed some closure when it comes to those people.)

I think Blue Lions is the darkest, not necessarily because of the casualty number, but due to its exploration of Dimitri's mental issues and the extreme cruelty he can be capable of sometimes. It actually has the least amount of major characters dying. There is also the tragedy of what happens between Dimitri and Edelgard, makes you kind of hope that things might have been different.

Edited by Darkmoon6789

Eh, Silver Snow has them all die + Claude go missing if you don't support Rhea.

But since you actually have Gronder in VW, Dimitri's pointless death does hit harder there.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:18 AM, Crysta said:

Eh, Silver Snow has them all die + Claude go missing if you don't support Rhea.

But since you actually have Gronder in VW, Dimitri's pointless death does hit harder there.

Silver Snow can be either the best or worst ending, depending on what you think happens. While Dimitri likely dies and Claude likely flees, the writers purposefully leave their fates ambiguous. Dimitri may very well be actually alive, as he says he is in the "vision" scene. Claude may be dead and simply not identifiable due to the wounds the body may have suffered. I think you can have the least amount of character deaths in this route, provided you recruit everyone, have high support with Rhea and believe Dimitri and Claude survived.

That said, as far as non-playable characters go, Silver Snow gets hit really hard. Church, Empire, Kingdom and Alliance get much of their leadership decimated by the time the route ends.

As far route ambience goes I agree Blue Lions is arguably the saddest route. Azure Moon captures pretty early in Part 2 a sense of melancholy no other route has, in particular due to Dimitri's current situation and the toll the war has taken for many of the Blue Lions. By comparison, Verdant Wind is too cheery, Crimson Flower is kinda bipolar and Silver Snow feels hollow in spite of the circumstances being more depressing.

Edited by Moltz23

I definitely agree that Blue Lions is the saddest route for me. Though it's mostly because I have to kill Edelgard. Haha. I vividly remember my first playthrough (Blue Lions), and as much as I loved the characters I had such a soft spot for Edelgard and her ideals after seeing how much the world negatively affected my poor BL babies. And I was super sad when negotiations broke down, and then the end when Edelgard does that to herself, made me really sad for her. Also because I feel like Blue Lions is the most realistic in the fact ... nothing *really* changes by the end. Even after all that war and death, things get a little better, but it's so incomplete and really society doesn't really grow or change that much. Which makes me kinda sad.

I think Golden Deer had the potential to be sad, but idk. It was too detached.

Spoiler

Dimitri's death didn't really hit me at all. He was too much a crazed person in that one. At least in Crimson Flower he was like a focused villain. But in Golden Deer he was just crazy, and honestly needed to be put down, imho, so I wasn't really sad about. This comes from someone who is still upset we couldn't marry Dimitri in Blue Lions, so I do LOVE him, I just didn't really have any sympathy for him in that route.

Crimson Flower was I think the happiest route. There was nothing really sad about it to me (except killing former students/teachers (well Leonie/Catherine I happily murdered)), because it felt like the entire route I was on the right path. With Blue Lions and Golden Deer it just felt ... like I had made the wrong choice. Those were the routes I played first and idk. Golden Deer felt more 'right' then Blue Lions, but Crimson Flower really was the only route where I was invested in the actual outcome because I knew it to be better. So there was a feeling of true ... happiness at the end. Because through all the darkness came hope and light.

9 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

I definitely agree that Blue Lions is the saddest route for me. Though it's mostly because I have to kill Edelgard. Haha. I vividly remember my first playthrough (Blue Lions), and as much as I loved the characters I had such a soft spot for Edelgard and her ideals after seeing how much the world negatively affected my poor BL babies. And I was super sad when negotiations broke down, and then the end when Edelgard does that to herself, made me really sad for her. Also because I feel like Blue Lions is the most realistic in the fact ... nothing *really* changes by the end. Even after all that war and death, things get a little better, but it's so incomplete and really society doesn't really grow or change that much. Which makes me kinda sad.

Reveal hidden contents

Dimitri's death didn't really hit me at all. He was too much a crazed person in that one. At least in Crimson Flower he was like a focused villain. But in Golden Deer he was just crazy, and honestly needed to be put down, imho, so I wasn't really sad about. This comes from someone who is still upset we couldn't marry Dimitri in Blue Lions, so I do LOVE him, I just didn't really have any sympathy for him in that route.

Crimson Flower was I think the happiest route. There was nothing really sad about it to me (except killing former students/teachers (well Leonie/Catherine I happily murdered)), because it felt like the entire route I was on the right path. With Blue Lions and Golden Deer it just felt ... like I had made the wrong choice. Those were the routes I played first and idk. Golden Deer felt more 'right' then Blue Lions, but Crimson Flower really was the only route where I was invested in the actual outcome because I knew it to be better. So there was a feeling of true ... happiness at the end. Because through all the darkness came hope and light.

I found it the saddest because comparing Edelguard killing him to what person you turn him to by the end just shows the really kind of Person he is. Byleth is the person who brings  Dimitri back. Without Byleth he just remains a crazy killer.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:46 PM, Darkmoon6789 said:

Yes, just refering to the fact that Dimitri, Edelgard and Rhea dies in golden deer. No other route have them all dead like that. Claude survives whenever you side with him or not and have a quite good ending.

Still, it is my second best ending. It is just that crimson flower basically accomplishes the same as Claude does in verdant wind, this is because at the end of the day, the two of them basically want the same thing. With the main difference that less people are dead in crimson flower. (But verdant wind does have a final two chapters that probably should also have been in crimson flower, Edelgard really needed some closure when it comes to those people.)

I think Blue Lions is the darkest, not necessarily because of the casualty number, but due to its exploration of Dimitri's mental issues and the extreme cruelty he can be capable of sometimes. It actually has the least amount of major characters dying. There is also the tragedy of what happens between Dimitri and Edelgard, makes you kind of hope that things might have been different.

:That is sad T_T

20 hours ago, Kiran_ said:

Hide contents

I am glad someone share my view that Crimson Flower is the most hopeful. It is actually the only time in the game, I felt absolutely right about what I was doing. This is definitely not helped on the other paths when Edelgard says that she wished that she and Byleth could walk this path together. That just makes me feel that things are not the way they are supposed to be.  

It is ironic, but because of how many of the students have suffered under the crest system. I feel that they are fighting on the wrong side of the war without ever realising it. Maybe because they really never realised what Edelgard is really fighting for. So it is kind of tragic that someone like Ashe would fight for the people who killed his stepfather, against the very ideals that Lonato was fighting for. Or that Sylvain would fight in order to preserve the crest system, which have brought him so much misery. 

Spoiler

Dimitri's demise in verdant wind hit me the hardest, as did edelgards because claude pleads with her. I also cried in silver snow when dimitri appears to you (seemingly as a ghost)

But it is sad to see what Dimitri goes through, and that you can't really help him. He's one of the most endearing characters and the lord that seemingly needs you the most. It is really sad.

Honestly Azure Moon is the happiest for me. 3 of the 4 MCs all live, it's the only route where Dimitri can begin recovering from his torment (or at least have it not affect him to point of being unable to live normally), it is possible to have every student and faculty member survive sans Edelgard, Hubert and Jeritza if you choose to recruit them and, while not completely wiped out, TWSITD are basically a non-threat to the world now that Thales is dead and they are without a leader. Overall, I felt like AM can end on the happiest note (unless you're an Edelgard, Hubert and Jeritza stan of course...).

58 minutes ago, Azz said:

Honestly Azure Moon is the happiest for me. 3 of the 4 MCs all live, it's the only route where Dimitri can begin recovering from his torment (or at least have it not affect him to point of being unable to live normally), it is possible to have every student and faculty member survive sans Edelgard, Hubert and Jeritza if you choose to recruit them and, while not completely wiped out, TWSITD are basically a non-threat to the world now that Thales is dead and they are without a leader. Overall, I felt like AM can end on the happiest note (unless you're an Edelgard, Hubert and Jeritza stan of course...).

For me it is just that I think that the people who died in the war died for nothing while the nobility and crest system still stands at the end of it. It is just a waste really. While with a victory for Edelgard, all of those deaths were in the service of accomplishing something that would greatly help the continent. You are right about Azure Moon having the least casualties among main characters. It is just too bad that Edelgard insists on dying, the girl is as much ruled by her past trauma as Rhea and Dimitri. 

If Edelgard would have taken Dimitri's hand and we came to some sort of compromise. I think I wouldn't hesitate to call Azure Moon , the happiest ending. Even if the beginning part after the time skip is definitely the darkest in the entire game.

Of course it is also possible to believe that the changes Dimitri do make to Fodlan is enough to justify the cost of the war. I just don't think it is. It is unclear if even Edelgard's proposed changes will be enough to make up for the casualties in the war, Dimitri's society, even less so as it is less of a change. 

I also really don't like seeing Edelgard die, even if she would probably be okay with dying if that means a better Fodlan. I would also save Dimitri in Crimson Flower, if this was possible. I think both of them deserve a happy ending. But only one can get it due to circumstances. 

I think that Dimitri is possibly the one who needs Byleth the most as he goes to most of the rails without them. Edelgard needs Byleth as emotional support to rediscover her humanity in face of all the bloodshed she has to do to bring about her new world. Claude doesn't seem to need them at all other than as a means to actually accomplish his vision. Claude is always fine, even if Byleth doesn't join them. Well, Dimitri needs Byleth the most emotionally, I do still favour Edelgard because I think Fodlan needs her vision for the future the most.

11 hours ago, Darkmoon6789 said:

For me it is just that I think that the people who died in the war died for nothing while the nobility and crest system still stands at the end of it. It is just a waste really. While with a victory for Edelgard, all of those deaths were in the service of accomplishing something that would greatly help the continent. You are right about Azure Moon having the least casualties among main characters. It is just too bad that Edelgard insists on dying, the girl is as much ruled by her past trauma as Rhea and Dimitri. 

If Edelgard would have taken Dimitri's hand and we came to some sort of compromise. I think I wouldn't hesitate to call Azure Moon , the happiest ending. Even if the beginning part after the time skip is definitely the darkest in the entire game.

Of course it is also possible to believe that the changes Dimitri do make to Fodlan is enough to justify the cost of the war. I just don't think it is. It is unclear if even Edelgard's proposed changes will be enough to make up for the casualties in the war, Dimitri's society, even less so as it is less of a change. 

I also really don't like seeing Edelgard die, even if she would probably be okay with dying if that means a better Fodlan. I would also save Dimitri in Crimson Flower, if this was possible. I think both of them deserve a happy ending. But only one can get it due to circumstances. 

I think that Dimitri is possibly the one who needs Byleth the most as he goes to most of the rails without them. Edelgard needs Byleth as emotional support to rediscover her humanity in face of all the bloodshed she has to do to bring about her new world. Claude doesn't seem to need them at all other than as a means to actually accomplish his vision. Claude is always fine, even if Byleth doesn't join them. Well, Dimitri needs Byleth the most emotionally, I do still favour Edelgard because I think Fodlan needs her vision for the future the most.

I mean the thing is, nobility and crests will always be a thing regardless of the route. While yes Edelgard may have established a meritocracy, the nobility (at least those that sided with Edelgard like Gloucester) still have their money and land and people still have their crests and thus are more powerful than those without and as years go by, people that have this money or power form crests will without a doubt take power again solely because they have the advantage over those without and Fodlan is bound to revert to what it was before Edelgard waged war on the church. The world is still inherently unequal and while there may be peace for a while while Edelgard reigns (or whoever she chooses as her successor) but Fodlan is bound to go back to what it was. This is personally why I think Edelgard is very justified in her actions and why overall Crimson Flower's ending is the worst for Fodlan, because it is very short term and there was so many needless deaths when Edelgard could've done so much more rather than side with the very people who experimented on her and were actually responsible for segmenting the continent (not the chruch as Edelgrad believes).

It definitely comes down to personal preference at the end of the day, but personally I prefer Azure Moon's (really any route's but AM's the most) ending over that of Crimson Flower's because it actively makes change to Fodlan rather than rebooting Fodlan back to when it was under one banner like what Rhea/Seiros had done originally (rather than three separate countries ruled by one king as it is in AM) which will inevitably lead to culture clash and underlying negative sentiments remaining in Faerghus and Leicester territories causing another bloody war to break out and for the cycle to reapeat.