Radiant Dawn Remake Ideas (Post- FE Three Houses)

As someone who's only seen a full PoR LP and has a general idea of the plot outline of RD:

- Re-localize the game to be closer to the Japanese extended script, but keep some of the international additions (like the Daein legendary weapons and the explanation for the Black Knight's survival)

- Add Trial Maps so we can hear that fire Gaiden remix

- Remove biorhythym. I dunno, just seems like one of those things that's either pointless or annoying because there's no way for the player to control or manage it

- Add more specific A supports. Like as has been said, I think the multiple parties structure makes it so that you want flexibility for who you want to go into the Tower, and RD's "everyone can support everyone" system facilitates that, but it leaves a lot of characters dull and undeveloped, particularly new ones like the Dawn Brigade. 

- Pick which army you play as in Part 3 Endgame

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention this when I made my first post, but another idea I had is... well, this might look a bit radical, but here it goes:

Personally, I think Part 2 should not be part of the main game. It's detached enough from the main story line, honestly it feels more to me like what Future Past, Heirs of Fate, Rise of the Deliverance, and Cindered Shadows are. I'm in the opinion that if RD had DLC, Part 2 would've been part of it. Of course, it wouldn't be a very good idea to do that now, whether as paid DLC or simply as an in-game set of paralogues to play separate from the main story, like New Mystery's integration of BSFE. I guess that ship has sailed, even if the latter would be something I'd do if it was up to me.

On that topic, however, since it's pretty much a standard practice that the DLC of any given main game has to include a multi-chapter story, what do you people think might be this game's if it gets a remake? I'm partial to something related to Begnion during late Part 3, when they went out of focus. Not a lack of potential since it's when they got tied up in the civil war. Perhaps this could give some needed spotlight to the likes of the LEA. Imagine a set of chapters where you play with a party consisting of Sigrun, Tanith, Tormod, Muarim, Vika, Zelgius, and maybe others (like maybe Naesala, since all things considered he had to be involved there for him to be with Sanaki by 3-E)? As they go free Sephiran and Sanaki.

6 hours ago, Alistair said:

As someone who's only seen a full PoR LP and has a general idea of the plot outline of RD:

- Re-localize the game to be closer to the Japanese extended script, but keep some of the international additions (like the Daein legendary weapons and the explanation for the Black Knight's survival)

- Add Trial Maps so we can hear that fire Gaiden remix

- Remove biorhythym. I dunno, just seems like one of those things that's either pointless or annoying because there's no way for the player to control or manage it

- Add more specific A supports. Like as has been said, I think the multiple parties structure makes it so that you want flexibility for who you want to go into the Tower, and RD's "everyone can support everyone" system facilitates that, but it leaves a lot of characters dull and undeveloped, particularly new ones like the Dawn Brigade. 

- Pick which army you play as in Part 3 Endgame

We have skills that place ally biorhytyhm to the max, skill that put enemy biorhytyhm to the mini, a staff that raises biorhytyhm, a skill that reduces the effects of biorhytyhm and a skill that increases the effects of biorhytyhm. How much more control of it do you want?

1- Fix all script mid-translations (IE - resolve skill activation %, difficulty settings); give worldwide release to the extended Japanese script

2- QOL & presentation updates (skip enemy phase, full voice acting)

3- Remove 2nd play through requirement for full story & character unlocking (Pelleas/ Lehran, Soren/ Ike convo)

4- Flesh our characters new to RD either via additional base conversations, CG art, or cutscene dialogue

5- Open to a host of solutions on this, but updating the plot/ story to make Elincia & Sanaki more critical to the overall narrative (Elincia needs more endgame importance; Sanaki needs more earlygame); tinkering with the blood contract as a tool to drag Daein into the war

6- NO AVATAR

I'm one of those that actually like the Biorythym system since it prevents relying on dodging, which is an issue in most FE games before it. That way, tanks can actually be useful!

Another thing I would like changed is: Allowing you to actually choose your endgame party, and not force 7 units out of your 15. (can't remember the exact numbers)

18 hours ago, Jotari said:

We have skills that place ally biorhytyhm to the max, skill that put enemy biorhytyhm to the mini, a staff that raises biorhytyhm, a skill that reduces the effects of biorhytyhm and a skill that increases the effects of biorhytyhm. How much more control of it do you want?

Out of those, one is not available until the end of the game, and two of those have the opportunity cost of not using Vigor, and the skills that affect biorhythm are not in the game. I'd sooner say scrap biorhythm, as it's a cancer mechanic that adds nothing whatsoever to the game, and have the herons learn Valor and Recovery earlier.

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 5/7/2020 at 4:22 AM, Falcom Knight said:

Also giving authority stars to Micaiah after her first promotion.

Never noticed the lack of stars.  But this sounds fair.

---

WRT supports, I'd make it so that there's specific conversations for certain pairs (namely, people who know each other + perhaps one pair that doesn't seem obvious, like Micaiah/Leanne).  Meanwhile, any other supports get a generic conversation for level-up.

I've been over this several times, but what could one more time hurt? This is not everything, just to keep it from getting too long.

General fixes: Nerf enemy resistance stats to actually make mages worthwhile, fix balancing, add a way for the DB to catch up to the GMs, be it either through auto leveling or through my proposed idea for a Part 2 rewrite in other threads, add support chains to certain character pairs (eg. all the GMs should support, all the DB should support, all the Crimean army should support, and then add other ones that make sense and leave the other characters that don't without support chains), fix Part 4 to add more development to the enemies and Ashera and wtf is going on. Part 3 could stand to be multi-routed like others have mentioned with an option to pick which group you want to follow with the other units auto leveling so they won't be under-leveled come Part 4. Stop with the second playthrough restrictions.

Fix Micaiah. She's a main lord, she needs to be better. Bump her speed, give her better magic that isn't just Thani, possibly give her access to dark magic so that a grand total of 3 characters in the game can use it. She should have support chains with all the DB, Sanaki, Pelleas, Nailah, Ike, Elincia, Soren, and Tibarn at the very least.

Sothe could stand a better promotion and better capped stats to make him actually useful come later game. Also maybe give him access to bows upon promotion, that would be cool. He needs a bigger part in the story and supports with all the DB plus some of the previous support partners to see how they've changed and developed over the years.

Pelleas needs to not be a second playthrough character.

The rest of the DB needs a slight buff and they definitely need supports to fill their characters out.

Elincia needs a bigger part in the story (ergo Part 2 rewrite and more presence in Part 3) and of course supports.

The Greil Mercs are mostly fine, just add supports and for the love of everything good in this world fix Mist. I'd like to actually be able to use her, thank you very much.

6 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

Sothe could stand a better promotion and better capped stats to make him actually useful come later game. Also maybe give him access to bows upon promotion, that would be cool.

Definitely this. More characters with weapon flexibility would be a really nice addition. We already have Haar and Soren with the ability to use different types of weapons and I found that to be pretty enjoyable. It would be cool to see more classes with the ability to use different types of weapons. IS PLEASE GIVE US ARCHER SOTHE! He'd be like green arrow with a crop top.

Edited by Kaiser Wilhelm

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Out of those, one is not available until the end of the game, and two of those have the opportunity cost of not using Vigor, and the skills that affect biorhythm are not in the game. I'd sooner say scrap biorhythm, as it's a cancer mechanic that adds nothing whatsoever to the game, and have the herons learn Valor and Recovery earlier.

Okay. So rather than axing them, put them in the game earlier.

I'm glad that ememies like knights or soldiers have a decent resistance stat in this game. Especially for knights who have to suffer from enough of things I'm glad that they are balanced by having decent restistance and speed not to get ORKO'ed by everything. The statspread of the enemies is absolutely fine for me.

Mages became either slower or weaker. No mage has +50% growth in magic and speed aside of Pelleas who's a special case for joining at low level late which is a sign of balance. The only I issue I have, is that they and staff users have lower movement for no reason. Yes, they're not restricted in desert chapters, but it's the case for one single chapter in this game. It's really not a justified exchange.

As for magic I honestly wished the DB had more range weapon users. Leonardo - who's only really useful if trained - is pretty much the only real range weapon user in part 3 since Micaiah is mainly busy with healing. It would be helpful if Ilyana stayed in the DB not only because she could easier catch up in terms of level, but also because she would have effectiveness against the Laguz once she's second tier. A chipper would be really good for 3-6 at least.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Okay. So rather than axing them, put them in the game earlier.

That could only apply to Matrona - Bliss and Sorrow still have the opportunity cost of not using Vigor for that turn, which would likely be a better use of a heron's turn than fiddling with someone's biorhythm. Regardless, doing that just for the sake of keeping an actively intrusive mechanic is questionable.

I still think biorythym is fine, it adds some depth to the game. Of course when somebody is at a "low" point, they are naturally going to struggle, makes sense to me. The opposite applies as well. 

2 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I still think biorythym is fine, it adds some depth to the game. Of course when somebody is at a "low" point, they are naturally going to struggle, makes sense to me. The opposite applies as well. 

Sure, it makes sense, but it still doesn't add anything to the game except in the cases where it hurts you, which are numerous compared to the times it's actually a help. Having a mechanic that cuts into your units' consistency when you already have few good units in the first place *coughPart1hack* is pretty lousy.

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Sure, it makes sense, but it still doesn't add anything to the game except in the cases where it hurts you, which are numerous compared to the times it's actually a help. Having a mechanic that cuts into your units' consistency when you already have few good units in the first place *coughPart1hack* is pretty lousy.

Well, maybe FE needs less "consistent", since those units are usually game breaking for being too "reliable". 

On 5/8/2020 at 6:59 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

Personally, I think Part 2 should not be part of the main game. It's detached enough from the main story line, honestly it feels more to me like what Future Past, Heirs of Fate, Rise of the Deliverance, and Cindered Shadows are. I'm in the opinion that if RD had DLC, Part 2 would've been part of it.

Because I have time, let's rework Part 2 story because I have that same feeling about Part 2 as well. It will basically follow the same overall plot, but with a different context that focus on the tension between Crimea and Daein (because it literally should) and help build a relationship between Micaiah and the other lords so that when she has to fight them, it actually means something:

• Prologue - The Grail Mercenaries have been MIA for a while, and the nobles of Crimea are in a rage due to the son of the Ashnard overthrowing the government that was agreed upon after the war. They demand Elincia to take action against Daein, but she refuses, citing that they shouldn't just assume the son will repeat Ashnard's actions. Meanwhile 'a noble' is stirring up the citizens to take action against Daein and are recruiting men. [This chapter design will basically be 2-1]
  • Part 2 chapter 1 -  We switch to Daein, as Micaiah learn of an attack along the Crimea's border. Micaiah is ordered to send the entire army there, but Micaiah refuses, not wanting to raise the tension between the two kingdoms. So instead, Micaiah only takes a small group and force the Crimea's soldiers to retreat. During this fight, Leanna is rescued and joins Micaiah's group. After the fight, Sothe wonders why Elincia would want to fight, but Micaiah informs Sothe that they have to protect Daein first before worrying about the enemy. [A new chapter map]
  • Part 2 chapter 2 - Back in Crimea's capital, Elincia is hounded by the nobles with a noble by the name of Ludveck leading the pact in trying to remove Elincia so they can declare war on Daein while Daein is still recovering from its revolution. After the meeting, Elncia learns about the recruitment happening around the kingdom, and orders Lucia to investigate Ludveck. Lucia learns that Ludveck is the one attacking Daein and is planning another assault to force a war between the two kingdoms. [This chapter design will basically be 2-2]
  • Part 2 chapter 3 - Back to Daein, the invasion occurs along the border and Micaiah group holds the much larger assault from Crimea. During the fight, Lucia and her small party arrive and after talking with Sothe, aid Micaiah's group in stopping Ludveck's invasion. After the fight, Lucia informs Micaiah that Elinica does not want a war between the two kingdom and wants to meet them. Micaiah agrees as she doesn't want war as well. [A new chapter map]
  • Final Chapter - Elinica meets with Micaiah, and the two reach an agreement on how to ease the tension between the two kingdoms. Before they can part, Ludveck launch a final assault, declaring that he should be king, and that Elinica is a traitor for working with Daein. Elinica's and Micaiah's group defeat Ludveck's army. After the fight, Ludveck demands Micaiah's head in exchange for Lucia's life (whom they captured), but Elinica refuses to give up Micaiah. The Greil Mercenaries arrive and saves Lucia and putting a complete end to Ludveck's uprising. [Roughly the same chapter map from 2-final]
  • Sothe can introduce Micaiah to Ike at this time, and Micaiah's group depart back to Daein shortly afterwards. Meanwhile, Leanna stays with Elinica and Ike. Some time afterwards, the same revelation happens and we jump to Part 3 between the Laguz's war against Begnion.

So why this? A few reasons, to give the Laguz's side reasons to think Daein has turn a new corner and provide a stronger reason why Daein won't attack them during their war against Begnion. To give Elinica the chance to actually have a conversation with Micaiah and help start the rebuilding process between the two kingdoms. Also, because Micaiah's group really need the bridging chapters to gain EXP for their return in part 3.

On 5/8/2020 at 6:59 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

Personally, I think Part 2 should not be part of the main game. It's detached enough from the main story line, honestly it feels more to me like what Future Past, Heirs of Fate, Rise of the Deliverance, and Cindered Shadows are. I'm in the opinion that if RD had DLC, Part 2 would've been part of it. Of course, it wouldn't be a very good idea to do that now, whether as paid DLC or simply as an in-game set of paralogues to play separate from the main story, like New Mystery's integration of BSFE. I guess that ship has sailed, even if the latter would be something I'd do if it was up to me.

I dunno - it does end up being a Deconstruction of the events of Path of Radiance. As one Let's Play I read puts it, the events of Path of Radiance went like a fairy tale for Crimea. Without them being united against one enemy, that being Daein, Crimean nobles and senators go back to petty power squabbles and even go so far as to question Elincia's legitimacy to rule. I think people would riot if that was locked behind a paywall or rewritten.

Edited by Shadow Mir

36 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno - it does end up being a Deconstruction of the events of Path of Radiance. As one Let's Play I read puts it, the events of Path of Radiance went like a fairy tale for Crimea. Without them being united against one enemy, that being Daein, Crimean nobles and senators go back to petty power squabbles and even go so far as to question Elincia's legitimacy to rule. I think people would riot if that was locked behind a paywall or rewritten.

Hence why I would simply put it aside, not remove it or rewrite it. You can still play it, unchanged... just not as something you HAVE to play between the events of Parts 1 and 3. As I brought up for an example, it'd be like the BSFE chapters in New Mystery, so not paid DLC or the like, it'd be in the base game itself still.

Though yes, the fact it was already placed as something mandatory in the original means a remake would be forced to do the same lest people complain.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Now that I think about it, I'd like there to not be so many forced characters - too many characters are forced to be deployed at certain points (1-8 and 4-4 are the big offenders in this regard - in the former, even discounting Micaiah, Sothe and Volug,  I have Tormod and his laguz friends forced because why? The latter is the same with regard to infuriating force deployments - why the fuck are Tormod and pals forced here despite the fact that they pretty much can't catch up at this point??? There's also Ike's side of part 3 - I'm not the least bit happy that Ranulf is forced when he's not even that good).

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 5/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, Alistair said:

Pick which army you play as in Part 3 Endgame

Picking the Dawn Brigade in 3-Endgame will make the chapter unwinnable, as you'll be going against a team of nearly all third tier units, while using a bunch of second tier units.

7 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Picking the Dawn Brigade in 3-Endgame will make the chapter unwinnable, as you'll be going against a team of nearly all third tier units, while using a bunch of second tier units.

In this hypothetical remake, they could do some tweaks to make it so the Dawn Brigade is also at 3rd tier. Like, increasing experience gains in Part 1 with higher level, but otherwise same difficulty, enemies. And adding a few more available seals and crowns would also help with that.

1 hour ago, Shimmerfang said:

Like, increasing experience gains in Part 1 with higher level, but otherwise same difficulty, enemies.

Hard Mode literally says that it's designed so the enemies will often be at a higher level than you. What's the point of saying that, and then increasing the experience gains, effectively making the game easier?

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Hard Mode literally says that it's designed so the enemies will often be at a higher level than you. What's the point of saying that, and then increasing the experience gains, effectively making the game easier?

I only said that because level factored into EXP calculations (as far as I can recall). And I only said this to support the possible idea of playing as the Dawn Brigade in in 3-E.

• 2 weeks later...