Radiant Dawn Remake Ideas (Post- FE Three Houses)

• Be able to travel map like Awakening and Sacred Stones. You could cut Bonus XP since you could just train otherwise and it'd make using the Dawn Brigade easier.
  • Add better support, have actual support conversations like the more recent games. Possibly have S supports, but maybe not for all characters. I'm kind of a sucker for canon endings. I'd still say keep the info tab though, I think that should come back to FE.
  • Have a post game with the map I mentioned before. Make the Tower of Guidance a postgame where you can battle on dozens of different levels. When you reach a certain point you can unlock more characters such as Dheginsea, Zelgius, and Levail.
  • Be able to click on the enemy unit you want to attack.
  • Be able to skip through animations (probably the most obvious thing).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Radiant Dawn has such a bloated cast that I don't see regular supports getting into the game, especially if it means overriding the current support anyone that the game is designed around. What they could do however would be to give just A supports similar to Fire Emblem Warriors (which would still take a significant amount of work if done for every potential pair, maybe keep the generics for most combinations and give unique A supports to certain plot relevant units).

New Mystery was able to do a fine enough job, despite having a slightly bigger cast. Specially when you take in consideration the number of supports themselves. Sure, the majority were basically Kris with everyone else, but the sheer numbers means it can be doable for RD's cast. Then you have the fact that a RD remake is bound to allow for even more room than what a DS game had for supports.

6 minutes ago, SSbardock84 said:

Fire Emblem Fates also has more playable characters than Radiant Dawn and they were able to have normal support conversations.

Does it? Because even looking at Revelation, I seriously doubt it is more than how much you get in RD (RD has something like 72, counting Pelleas and Lehran).

Just now, Shadow Mir said:

Does it? Because even looking at Revelation, I seriously doubt it is more than how much you get in RD (RD has something like 72, counting Pelleas and Lehran).

I could be off, but they're definitely very close. They're both in the 70s. 

Well, proper support conversations or not, the DB characters need SOME way to further develop them. As of now, they're as interesting as cardboard imo. Edward and Leonardo had potential though, given that we do learn that they're long time friends and that Eddie has a little brother. But not much else is ever known about them and we don't ever really see character growth for them or Nolan.

54 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Overall, Fates has little over eighty playable characters. Of course, around twenty are the capture-able bosses and amiibo recruits, so discounting those you're left with a little over sixty.

16 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

New Mystery was able to do a fine enough job, despite having a slightly bigger cast. Specially when you take in consideration the number of supports themselves. Sure, the majority were basically Kris with everyone else, but the sheer numbers means it can be doable for RD's cast. Then you have the fact that a RD remake is bound to allow for even more room than what a DS game had for supports.

You're not getting what I'm saying. Right now literally any unit can support with any other unit in Radiant Dawn (well aside from Lehran since you get him in the final chapter, and the Herons would never be able to support each other), which would mean somewhere in the region of two and a half thousand supports. For reference Fates has 450 supports (New Mystery only has about a hundred with two thirds being Kris supports, the exact number I don't know because some male female Kris supports are different). If Radiant Dawn is to keep it's anyone can pair with anyone gameplay feature then there's simply no way they could right non generic supports for every crack pairing out there. So what I'm suggesting is keep the generic supports, but give certain unit pairs unique A supports. You could give them unique C, B and A supports too, but that would be a bit weird when you unlock a generic convo with one set and then an expanded set with others. Plus keeping them A exclusive would make them feel more like hidden content.

Besides wanting more chapters, the things I want changed are very minor, possibly just nitpicky.

Please, stop overusing the word "tremendous" in the weapon descriptions.

Fix Resolve's description to say 50%, and not 20%, and take Strength out of it's description as well, since it doesn't raise Strength anymore.

I would like to know what it actually says about Muriam in the library, and not Mist.

Fixing male Swordmasters getting SS swords, and the generic ashera swordmasters getting S, clearly they just got mixed up.

"Unit States" should be "Unit Stats".

Edited by lightcosmo

Just now, Falcom Knight said:

Buffing the enemies's level in the GM chapters because they are way too underleveled.

Also giving authority stars to Micaiah after her first promotion.

Why does have Ike three and Micaiah none despite both are leaders of an army!?

If the enemies level was buffed then that would just entail the Greil Mercenaries outlevelling far faster than the Dawn Brigade than they already do. It's the enemies stats that need to be buffed, without buffing their levels.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If the enemies level was buffed then that would just entail the Greil Mercenaries outlevelling far faster than the Dawn Brigade than they already do. It's the enemies stats that need to be buffed, without buffing their levels.

Example: a five level higher enemy gives 7.5 experience more for killing, so I can't see that the GM's outclass the DB (even more) in terms of level.

I mean I would be totally up for nerfing overleveled units like Titania, Gatrie and Shinon too to make part 3 some kind of challenging.

15 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

Example: a five level higher enemy gives 7.5 experience more for killing, so I can't see that the GM's outclass the DB (even more) in terms of level.

I mean I would be totally up for nerfing overleveled units like Titania, Gatrie and Shinon too to make part 3 some kind of challenging.

That's an extra level for every thirteen enemies killed. Which isn't insignificant. The point is not to exacerbate and already bad problem when you can get the same result (ie buffing enemy stats without buffing their levels). Of course the real solution here would be to ditch the three tier promotion system (or turn it into something more similar to Three Houses) and have the Dawn Brigade start at the same relative level as the Greil Mercenaries. They have a pretty equivalent number of chapters each, about 10 or 11 before they start fighting each other. Most of the Dawn Brigade units just start 20 levels lower and the ones that don't aren't growing because they're fighting unpromoted enemies. There really shouldn't be a scaling problem when two armies have the same number of chapters, but it was some genius's idea to make the game three tiers long and make 90% of the cast prepromotes.

Edited by Jotari

20 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

I have to agree with Jotari - the Daeins have it bad enough as is, and your idea does naught but making their already superior competition even better.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

You're not getting what I'm saying. Right now literally any unit can support with any other unit in Radiant Dawn (well aside from Lehran since you get him in the final chapter, and the Herons would never be able to support each other), which would mean somewhere in the region of two and a half thousand supports. For reference Fates has 450 supports (New Mystery only has about a hundred with two thirds being Kris supports, the exact number I don't know because some male female Kris supports are different). If Radiant Dawn is to keep it's anyone can pair with anyone gameplay feature then there's simply no way they could right non generic supports for every crack pairing out there. So what I'm suggesting is keep the generic supports, but give certain unit pairs unique A supports. You could give them unique C, B and A supports too, but that would be a bit weird when you unlock a generic convo with one set and then an expanded set with others. Plus keeping them A exclusive would make them feel more like hidden content.

Well, that's the thing. Assuming they keep the "everyone can support everyone". To some degree it's very exploitable (I'm looking at you, EarthxEarth), so it wouldn't surprise me if they dial it back to more manageable and sensible support combinations.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, that's the thing. Assuming they keep the "everyone can support everyone". To some degree it's very exploitable (I'm looking at you, EarthxEarth), so it wouldn't surprise me if they dial it back to more manageable and sensible support combinations.

Yeah but then we lose the very useful gameplay aspect of anyone supporting anyone to which the game's designed around.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah but then we lose the very useful gameplay aspect of anyone supporting anyone.

Is it really that useful? Since unlike other games you're locked to just one support partner. Even the GBA games and PoR allowed you to support up to five different people, even if it was just as five C's.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is it really that useful? Since unlike other games you're locked to just one support partner. Even the GBA games and PoR allowed you to support up to five different people, even if it was just as five C's.

It wouldn't be that big a difference before part 4 where units would, for both gameplay and story, logically supporting the other units of their respective armies. But then for Part 4 it would push you to choose one army for the tower rather than a combination of any characters you like (plus the mandatory ones). I wouldn't have a large incentive to field, say, Astrid for the tower if she can't support with any of the other units there, or if I've been building up a Nolan-Leo support throughout the entire game and suddenly I don't need Leo because I'm bringing Shinon. With an everyone can support system I can ditch Leo in favor of Nolan and still build a Shinon Nolan support. Radiant Dawn's design is quite different to that of conventional games in how you jump around armies. You're not just building one team throughout the game. You're building several and then the best units from each join for the showdown. It's better if those said best units can support each other for the finale even if they haven't been for the entire game.

Edited by Jotari

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

It wouldn't be that big a difference before part 4 where units would, for both gameplay and story, logically supporting the other units of their respective armies. But then for Part 4 push you to choose one army for the tower rather than a combination of any characters you like (plus the mandatory ones). I wouldn't have a large incentive to field, say, Astrid for the tower if she can't support with any of the other units there, or if I've been building up a Nolan Leo support throughout the entire game and suddenly I don't need Leo because I'm bringing Shinon.

Not unlike how we dealt with it in the preceding games.

Not that it matters, since the support system of today is that there's no limits to how many you can trigger. You'd have all game long to find a combination that suits you.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not unlike how we dealt with it in the preceding games.

Not that it matters, since the support system of today is that there's no limits to how many you can trigger. You'd have all game long to find a combination that suits you.

See the difference is that in the preceding games you're playing with one army all the way through, so you can select based on who you're training at that time and build supports with them. That option isn't the same when it comes to Radiant Dawn as most of the game a lot of the units you'll ultimately be using in the final battle are apart from each other. What I'm saying is that in Radiant Dawn you actively use far more units than any other game, even if you don't ultimately end up using them in the endgame. So having a more malleable system gives more freedom.

Edited by Jotari

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

See the difference is that in the preceding games you're playing with one army all the way through, so you can select based on who you're training at that time and build supports with them. That option isn't the same when it comes to Radiant Dawn as most of the game a lot of the units you'll ultimately be using in the final battle are apart from each other. What I'm saying is that in Radiant Dawn you actively use far more units than any other game, even if you don't ultimately end up using them in the endgame. So having a more malleable system gives more freedom.

That's what Part 4 more or less can help you with. Since, again, with the current support system, you're not locking yourself out from combinations (and this remake, like all the others, is unlikely to the "only one of the highest rank, be it A or S" restriction, maybe). So train units all through Parts 1 through 3, then if you can check up who can support who, use Part 4 as a way to build up what should be your final team for the tower.

It should be easier for us, since we'd know this in advance. It might be harder for newcomers to FE or those who simply don't know much of RD to know Part 4 effectively pulls a Kefka Tower situation. However, it might not be that big of an issue since it'd be less likely to expect the final chapter(s) to not have finally everyone merged into one big group instead of keeping them separate. Even then, they'd still have what they already did in the previous parts.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I have to agree with Jotari - the Daeins have it bad enough as is, and your idea does naught but making their already superior competition even better.

Well, the unbalance comes from the enemy's type.

The DB mainly fights against the Laguz which have all much higher attack power or speed than a second tier Begnion soldier.

In 3-P you can see the big gap of the Laguz and Begnion's soldiers who all die to two hits.

If the DB would fight them aside of the 3-12, they would do way better than against Laguz and could level much easier.

Nolan and a not speed screwed Aran could take a few hits by Begnions and gain some exp.

In 3-6 it's mainly Jill and Volug who get the levels, so big gap among the party is going to happen, so other units play only a side role.

Of the GM's Mist, Rhys, Rolf and Soren are lowleveled but at least latter two can't be ORKO'ed in very most cases.

But as equal this group features way more units who can deal and take damage than the DB does.

That said I find the difficulty of the DB perfect for me and consider the GM's as too easy because humans are weaker than Laguz.

The only way to bring more balance in the GM's chapters is too decrease a few units's level a / o increase the enemy's level.

Adding +40 attack and +22 speed Laguz would be great, but unfortunately this wouldn't quite match with the story...

Edited by Falcom Knight

3 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Well, the unbalance comes from the enemy's type.

The DB mainly fights against the Laguz which have all much higher attack power or speed than a second tier Begnion soldier.

In 3-P you can see the big gap of the Laguz and Begnion's soldiers who all die to two hits.

If the DB would fight them aside of the 3-12, they would do way better than against Laguz and could level much easier.

Nolan and a not speed screwed Aran could take a few hits by Begnions and gain some exp.

In 3-6 it's mainly Jill and Volug who get the levels, so big gap among the party is going to happen, so other units play only a side role.

Of the GM's Mist, Rhys, Rolf and Soren are lowleveled but at least latter two can't be ORKO'ed in very most cases.

But as equal this group features way more units who can deal and take damage than the DB does.

That said I find the difficulty of the DB perfect for me and consider the GM's as too easy because humans are weaker than Laguz.

The only way to bring more balance in the GM's chapters is too decrease a few units's level a / o increase the enemy's level.

Adding +40 attack and +22 speed Laguz would be great, but unfortunately this wouldn't quite match with the story...

On the other hand, laguz have glaring weaknesses - weaknesses a savvy player would definitely exploit - and the moment they revert, they're stomped as easily as Goombas. Also, here's another way to look at it; Ranulf is level 26 starting out. When he transforms, he only has 36 attack - the same as Titania has with a Steel Axe. Considering the fact he needs three turns to transform, I'm not "ooh"-ing or "aah"-ing over that. And this is supposed to be one of the better laguz units. I mean, short of permanent transformation, they just don't measure up to beorc, and even then, they still suffer from their lack of range.

12 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's what Part 4 more or less can help you with. Since, again, with the current support system, you're not locking yourself out from combinations (and this remake, like all the others, is unlikely to the "only one of the highest rank, be it A or S" restriction, maybe). So train units all through Parts 1 through 3, then if you can check up who can support who, use Part 4 as a way to build up what should be your final team for the tower.

It should be easier for us, since we'd know this in advance. It might be harder for newcomers to FE or those who simply don't know much of RD to know Part 4 effectively pulls a Kefka Tower situation. However, it might not be that big of an issue since it'd be less likely to expect the final chapter(s) to not have finally everyone merged into one big group instead of keeping them separate. Even then, they'd still have what they already did in the previous parts.

It's still going back to "I have no reason to field Astra because she doesn't support anyone else I'm fielding." What you're suggesting is an encouragement to just use one army for the tower and ditch the other two.

Just now, Jotari said:

It's still going back to "I have no reason to field Astra because she doesn't support anyone else I'm fielding." What you're suggesting is an encouragement to just use one army for the tower and ditch the other two.

In that case, you would be training up the people who do support the people you are fielding.

I suppose it depends on just how many people are you using up to this point. Due to the nature of Parts 1, 2, 3, you likely have more than the 10 slots endgame gives you worth of trained people. If we pair this with a Support Log, which we'd have for many games now, then in Part 4 you just do the shuffling around and work on those supports you may still lack to need for the tower.

Also... supports aren't the end all be all, as it were. Except maybe EarthxEarth.