New Heroes Arrive! Dark Burdens (May 8th)

Anacybele

For the record, these are the grail units from the past year with a personal weapon:

• April: Minerva, Iago
  • January: Itsuki
  • December: Kempf
  • November: Brunnya
  • September: Astram
  • August: Death Knight, Kronya
  • May: Delthea

9 of the past 25 grail units, including the most recent two. In addition, looking specifically at the 15 of those grail units associated with New Heroes banners, 8 got personal weapons.

Grail units aren't always getting personal weapons, but they don't seem that reluctant to give them to units that have good reason for one. Travant was a special case, not a new standard.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

I wouldn't bother. Any attempt to be disatisfied with the shitty generic flier GHBs we keep getting will be met with the same regurgitated "inheritable weapons are fine and uniqueness doesn't matter" nonsense. Every. Single. Time.

Then prove to me what is wrong with inheritable Weapons and how uniqueness impacts their performance or play style. The only argument I can come up with is that it is a bit worse than exclusive Weapons.

Challenger List: Against Hard List, no ranged and no magical. Both sides +10. Challengers have 6/0/6/6 buffs while enemies have 6/6/6/6 buffs.

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Altena (5*+10 +def)  
Weapon: Earthly Gae Bolg  
Special: Bonfire  
A: Sturdy Stance 2  
B: Quick Riposte 3  
S: Sturdy Stance 2  

Travant (5*+10)  
Weapon: Reprisal Lance+  
A: Sturdy Stance 3  
Upgrade Path: 3  

Altena 160:9:40
Travant 153:3:53

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

say wut? I must have hallucinated when Aversa, Ophelia, Brave Ikes refine, Lancina Refine, Kagero Refine, the recent teleporting blue Dragon, list goes on and on. Those weapons are only flavour and dont change how those characters play at all.

Aversa and BH!Lucina are still amongst the best of their class, but are definitely no longer role defining support units that only they can accomplish. Aversa was once really unique since she can Panic and debuff at the same time, but right now, you can similarly achieve what Aversa accomplishes by giving Sudden Panic to RS!Anna and RS!Eir (or any archer/dagger infantry/flier with good HP and Res). For most tanks, BH!Lucina's Special charge increase fundamentally is not very different from a straight up Atk boost (or HP boost for tanks who run Noontime or Sol), so she is not really ever role defining, as she face stiff competition from M!Corrin and Kaden right from the start of her Refinement being released. Mathilda and Clive are also competitive in that role if the super tank is a cavalry unit. Camilla, F!Morgan, Oscar, Gunter are not as good in that role, but they are better than anyone else who does not have a supportive Weapon.

Ophelia's niche can be copied by any archer or dagger unit with Slaying Weapons.

BH!Ike is really good, but I am not sure about role defining. BH!Ike is still a tank, it is just that his bulk is effectively doubled (or tripled or whatever the number is, depending on what skills you put on him). He does not do anything a regular super tank does not do, he just does his job of not dying really well. The only thing that separates BH!Ike from most super tanks is that BH!Ike has a smaller list of hard counters. BH!Ike definitely is not bringing any new playstyle or tactics to the table, so he is not role defining in that way. I guess he can be considered role defining amongst super tanks by having a really small list of counters.

Kagero and Lilith are pretty unique and good.

Edited by XRay

8 minutes ago, Othin said:

For the record, these are the grail units from the past year with a personal weapon:

• April: Minerva, Iago
  • January: Itsuki
  • December: Kempf
  • November: Brunnya
  • September: Astram
  • August: Death Knight, Kronya
  • May: Delthea

9 of the past 25 grail units, including the most recent two. In addition, looking specifically at the 15 of those grail units associated with New Heroes banners, 8 got personal weapons.

Grail units aren't always getting personal weapons, but they don't seem that reluctant to give them to units that have good reason for one. Travant was a special case, not a new standard.

Expanding more on the Ashnard thing - every Fallen Hero we've gotten so far has had a personal weapon, whether they're free or otherwise, including ones that are completely made up or were not originally exclusive.

This distinction matters. We can compare to the TT units. As far as I can tell, only four of them have gotten personal weapons since 2017: Young Azura, Brunnya, Itsuki, and Young Minerva. Three of those are tied to banners where every unit has a personal weapon - it's why they were exceptions to the normal tendency of TT units to have inheritable weapons. Ashnard is also tied to such a banner, being a Fallen Hero, and he's also a GHB unit, which get personal weapons a lot more often than TT units.

It'd be very frustrating if Ashnard were to end up not getting an exclusive weapon, but I don't think it's likely. We'll find out for sure in a few hours, though.

Lol they actually did Fallen Ike, that's awesome. I'm stunned to see he's in his vanguard outfit, but man, I'm in love. And oh, another Corrin alt, yeah, no thanks. Don't care about anyone on this banner but Ike. And finally ASHNARD! What took them so long, good grief. My concern now though is that since we have a new Ike and Ashnard, they probably won't be giving us a Tellius banner in a while. I hope I'm wrong though.

11 hours ago, Hilda said:

you need to Substract the 32 def from lyon from that 76 attack. so she is hitting for what 34 oh wait -50% 17 per hit, yeah not quite enough to kill before he counters. and this is without him using any kind of buffs A-Slots or anything like that lol

76-32=44?

EDIT: @XRay can you rerun those numbers with Travant's weapon as the Gilted Fork?  Mostly for my own curiosity.  I don't expect much difference, though.

Edited by eclipse

So this is the New Heroes banner, huh? Forgot Fallen Heroes was a may thing... well, let's take a look. Obviously no *4 unit or demote here. I think they could have done the *4 thing without demoting the unit ala' seasonals, but given how powerful the units on these banners tend to be (barring F!Celica lol) it makes sense that it's not a thing here. So let's see...

FM!Corrin looks like a monster, right down the the art. Everything about him screams "I'm better than my female counterpart" or at least it would if he wasn't blue. Being colorless keeps her a notch above him. The Guard effect on him is going to be a nightmare to deal with and since he's in the normal pool we can look forward to seeing him in Training Tower, Tempest Trials and... *shudders* Hall of Forms.... ugh. Also T4 Solo skills suck. You have have gone for a penalty nullification or at the very least +8. Given how hard it'll be to procure these skills, the +1 difference is peanuts. Enough rambling.

F!Lyon is actually the star here. He straight up says "oh you're ranged? screw you" with a non-conditional, straight up 50% damage reduction from all sources and colorless advantage. He alone is going to completely change the way Aether raids is played. I may have to make a new team just to account for him. Ugh... facing him on defense teams is going to suck royally. Lets just give him Bonus Doubler and Null-C on top just to make sure you can't chip him either. Disgusting.

F!Julia is horrific also. -8 ATK/RES pretty much all the time so she's incredibly tanky, packs a huge punch and if you're not part of the 10% of the roster that deals effective damage to dragons then you basically just lose. Naga circumvents her a bit as far as AR goes in Astra season but considering her ATK is likely going to be through the roof she probably doesn't even need 2 hits to kill you.

F!Ike was a shameless choice when Greil canonically went berserk, of course they did it for the money but it was a big missed opportunity. He's shared with Julia but don't let that deter you. First he gets a powercrept Ragnell that turns debuffs into combat buffs which is just nonsense on top of a DC weapon. Then he gets reskinned radiant aether because duh. Then we top it off with Repel and Darting Breath after a thousand years. So pretty much he's designed to screw you over in Aether Raids. If you don't have a strong enough blue you're done.

All of these units trigger me heavily because they invalidate my Matthew massively. Especially Lyon. This is going to change the way I and a lot of people play AR which.... frankly, sucks. As far as fodder value goes this banner is as premium as it gets. But honestly I'm not super interested in any of the units. It would be an easy skip if not for the tickets. I'll probably nab greens and reds and be done with it.

55 minutes ago, eclipse said:

76-32=44?

EDIT: @XRay can you rerun those numbers with Travant's weapon as the Gilted Fork?  Mostly for my own curiosity.  I don't expect much difference, though.

Under normal circumstance, Gilt Fork has one less kill than Reprisal Lance, so I think they are about the same. If you face lots of debuffs though, then Gilt Fork will probably be better.

Challenger List: Against Hard List, no ranged and no magical. Both sides +10. Challengers have 6/0/6/6 buffs while enemies have 6/6/6/6 buffs.

Spoiler

CHALLENGER LIST  
Altena (5*+10 +def)  
Weapon: Earthly Gae Bolg  
A: Sturdy Stance 2  

Travant (5*+10)  
Weapon: Reprisal Lance+  

Travant (5*+10)  
Weapon: Gilt Fork+  

Altena 160:9:40
Travant Reprisal 153:3:53
Travant Gilt Fork 152:3:54

4 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Ugh... facing him on defense teams is going to suck royally. Lets just give him Bonus Doubler and Null-C on top just to make sure you can't chip him either. Disgusting.

He does not seem that bad. We got Altina recently for Astra season. He is more of a pain to deal with on Light season, but I think most red units should have no issue dealing with him. Any of the red melee Counter-Vantage unit would wipe him, and we have quite a few options: Ares, Laevatein, Keaton, WOT!Reinhardt. Phina and TSOIA!Marth would also work, although they need Special Spiral or AMH!Hector.

11 minutes ago, Zeo said:

F!Julia is horrific also. -8 ATK/RES pretty much all the time so she's incredibly tanky, packs a huge punch and if you're not part of the 10% of the roster that deals effective damage to dragons then you basically just lose. Naga circumvents her a bit as far as AR goes in Astra season but considering her ATK is likely going to be through the roof she probably doesn't even need 2 hits to kill you.

It will be interesting to see how well she does against BH!Ike. I think BH!Ike will still do pretty decently against her.

Edited by XRay

30 minutes ago, Zeo said:

Also T4 Solo skills suck. You have have gone for a penalty nullification or at the very least +8. Given how hard it'll be to procure these skills, the +1 difference is peanuts.

They give +7 with an easy condition, which is on par with the other tier 4 skills instead of completely overshadowing them like the tier 3 version did. That's a good thing.

33 minutes ago, Zeo said:

F!Ike was a shameless choice when Greil canonically went berserk, of course they did it for the money but it was a big missed opportunity.

Berserk Ike is a Cipher card. I'm actually expecting to see Risen King Chrom next year at this rate.

I get where they're coming from with the tier 4 Solo skills and why tier boost is extremely small (+7/7 from tier 4 vs. +6/6 from tier 3) -- Solo skills are extremely easy to activate and work on both phases, not to mention that, despite the name suggesting otherwise, the user can still get boosts from allies.

As for Fallen Ike, it makes sense for more Cipher shenanigans to start showing up more since Cipher is ending this year. Only a matter of time before we could see stuff like Risen King Chrom, Wrys as a Swordmaster or Hero,  or the Cipher OCsor Winter Camilla (we did get Bride Charlotte back in 2017 and Summer Cordelia in 2018 and those 2 are likely inspired by Cipher artwork).

My Light teams are often very ranged-heavy, so I may need to make sure I have a melee unit available for him. My own Lyon might free up Fae to move from my Astra team to Light, which would help. Meanwhile it might be time for my Winter Jaffar to finally join Astra.

21 minutes ago, Othin said:

My Light teams are often very ranged-heavy, so I may need to make sure I have a melee unit available for him. My own Lyon might free up Fae to move from my Astra team to Light, which would help. Meanwhile it might be time for my Winter Jaffar to finally join Astra.

Lyon might not be a good pick for Astra. Not because of Thrasir but because of Lif. He will tear him a new one. Although there is Sothis on Light so it really doesnt matter much. But he checks more threats in Light season then Astra season.

10 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Lyon might not be a good pick for Astra. Not because of Thrasir but because of Lif. He will tear him a new one. Although there is Sothis on Light so it really doesnt matter much. But he checks more threats in Light season then Astra season.

I have Naga, I don't need help dealing with Lif. And my Light team already has the role covered.

I can skip, I can skip, I can skip...

but damn if Darting Breath is tempting me! And I now have confirmation that Ike is Hector's reincarnation, they both have special relationships with their weapon of choice. Ike has four sword-versions compared to Hector's three Axe variants, though.

@Anacybele have your orbs and wallet recovered for this?

3 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

I can skip, I can skip, I can skip...

but damn if Darting Breath is tempting me! And I now have confirmation that Ike is Hector's reincarnation, they both have special relationships with their weapon of choice. Ike has four sword-versions compared to Hector's three Axe variants, though.

@Anacybele have your orbs and wallet recovered for this?

why has everyone such a hard-on for Darting Breath. Unless the unit has an innate Distant Counter weapon (Infantry Dragons who face anyway a gazillion of Dragon effectiv weapons, Armor Dragons use anyway special fighter) there arent many choices left for the A-Slot (as in you are anyway running Distant counter!)

37 minutes ago, silverserpent said:

have your orbs and wallet recovered for this?

A little, in the case of my current orb stash. As for my wallet, yeah, I'd say so given that I just got offered a new job! 😛

GONNA GET ME DAT IKE!!

Edited by Anacybele

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

why has everyone such a hard-on for Darting Breath. Unless the unit has an innate Distant Counter weapon (Infantry Dragons who face anyway a gazillion of Dragon effectiv weapons, Armor Dragons use anyway special fighter) there arent many choices left for the A-Slot (as in you are anyway running Distant counter!)

Being able to activate Aether more frequently helps a lot for auto battling Tempest Trials. I agree it is not the best A skill, but it is pretty good for convenience. Combat performance is definitely something lots of players will spend Orbs on, but convenience is something some of them will spend Orbs on too.

I summoned a shit ton of Faye for Firesweep Bow and got every single Dancer/Singer so I can breeze through Arena Assault. I also got every Valor skill to make grinding for SP easier. I already got a Gold Throne, so I do not care about ranking anymore, but I still spent quite a bit on BH!Ike anyways so I can breeze through Light Season.

Edited by XRay

1 hour ago, Hilda said:

Because

1. There are a lot of units with Distant Counter weapons.
  2. Melee-only enemy-phase units exist that don't use Distant Counter.
  3. Dragon-effective weapons don't invalidate Darting Breath on infantry dragons because there isn't a skill that negates dragon effectiveness in the A slot.
  4. Slow armor dragons can run Bold Fighter + Quick Riposte.

Wow, holy shit Ashnard! That is some badass art there. Senri Kita I think? I wouldn't be surprised, she is my favorite artist.