New Heroes Arrive! Dark Burdens (May 8th)

Anacybele

25 minutes ago, Etheus said:

And that would be because no one likes Izuka. He's hideous, unlikeable, and arguably the most morally repugnant character in the entire franchise.

There are absolutely people who like Izuka - as a character, not as a person. He's pretty funny, and the game acknowledges how terrible he is. 

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

In a way, that makes them both good villains in the "I can't wait to kill them" sense. I wouldn't want to play either of them due to their complete lack of charisma, but they certainly achieve the reaction that they are meant to.

Yeah, exactly. 

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Othin said:

There are absolutely people who like Izuka - as a character, not as a person. He's pretty funny, and the game acknowledges how terrible he is. 

Yeah, exactly. 

I suppose he is funny, in the sense that he's a self-declared genius whose tactical blunders are absolutely savaged by Micaiah within 5 minutes of her showing up.

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

In a way, that makes them both good villains in the "I can't wait to kill them" sense. I wouldn't want to play either of them due to their complete lack of charisma, but they certainly achieve the reaction that they are meant to.

Yeah, that much is true, I admit. They really are the kind of villains you love to hate and can't wait to get rid of them. lol

43 minutes ago, Etheus said:

And that would be because no one likes Izuka. He's hideous, unlikeable, and arguably the most morally repugnant character in the entire franchise.

It's a competition between him, Lekain, king Desmond, and who else?

It's not easy to find people who are as bad as the three above. For all their flaws Gharnef, Manfroy, Thales and Validar at least have a bare bone explanation for their evi deeds even if it boils down to misguided revenge.

Villains like Nergal, Nuibaba, Nemesis, Duma, Anankos and Valter have gone crazy so you can have a bit of pity for them.

Ashnard has an ideology he believes in (and let's throw Surtr in this as well even if he is discount Ashnard), and so does Zephiel. In their twisted minds they believe to be in the right.

Others like Veld, Sonia, Iago and Jedah are very devout to their master so if nothing else you can say they at least love someone other than themselves, but Izuka, Lekain, Desmond?

They care only about themselves and ontaining power for power's sake. And I 100% believe that they burn puppies in their spare time for the EVULZ.

The only ones who can arguably be worse are Hel, Loptous, Grima, Fomortiis, Ashera and the likes but they are above humanity so they can operate on a different morality.

As far as humans go, the trio of Lekain, Desmond and Izuka are the worst type of scum.

EDIT: I suppose the other senators, except maybe Hetzel, are almost on Lekain's level. Almost.

Edited by GrandeRampel

14 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

As far as humans go, the trio of Lekain, Desmond and Izuka are the worst type of scum.

Throw in Hilda (from FE4, not Valentine Goneril) and then that’d be perfect. 

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Throw in Hilda (from FE4, not Valentine Goneril) and then that’d be perfect. 

My knowledge of Jugdral isn't the best. I know all the horrible things she did to Tailtiu, but did she (or her husband Bloom) ever show some kind of affection for her spouse, or her children Ishtar and Ishtore? Even the bare minimum would disqualify her from the list since she is competing with Desmond, the guy that on top of wanting to kill his own son, never showed any kind of love for his daughter and his wife.

Edited by GrandeRampel

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

51 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, I often forget he exists, he's so awful. lol And yet, I don't know if I hate him more than *cringe* Valtome. That dude is a total creep and hideous too. And while Izuka drugs laguz, Valtome goes after unarmed women!

Still better than Iago and Hans though

11 minutes ago, GrandeRampel said:

My knowledge of Jugdral isn't the best. I know all the horrible things she did to Tailtiu, but did she (or her husband Bloom) ever show some kind of affection for her spouse, or her children Ishtar and Ishtore? Even the bare minimum would disqualify her from the list since she is competing with Desmond, the guy that on top of wanting to kill his own son, never showed any kind of love for his daughter and his wife.

She also willingly participates in Julius’s child hunts just....because. I’m pretty sure no good explanation is given as to why.

As for Ishtar, I want to say Hilda only cared about her just because of Ishtar’s relationship with Julius and the potential power and prestige that would bring her if Ishtar became his empress. If anyone more knowledgeable than me wants to correct me on that, then by all means.

51 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I suppose he is funny, in the sense that he's a self-declared genius whose tactical blunders are absolutely savaged by Micaiah within 5 minutes of her showing up.

Though, can't you call his blunders arguably intentional? Considering... (I'm gonna spoiler it anyhow if it's 100% unnecessary)

Spoiler

...he was working for Begnion all along?

I'm not sure of it. Sephiran said he needed Daein to be resurrected. Yet Izuka was working for Lekain too. Lekain might have intended Izuka to:

• First, try to sabotage Daein resistance efforts so they can be wiped out and a top-down Begnion restoration of Daein carried out. The "poison the water" strat posed before 1-7 sounds like it would've been a great ploy to ruin the Liberation Army's reputation.
  • Second, if the first fails and the popular bottom-up resistance wins out, take whats arisen and turn Daein into a Begnion puppet anyhow.

It's weird though, because regardless of whether Izuka messed up or not, Lekain and Sephiran wanted a restored Daein for their aims. Why would Senator Numida be in such a panic then at the end of Part 1 if the resurrection of Daein was under their control via Izuka?

Izuka as a mad scientist figure obsessed with their own research, makes me want to believe it laid the groundwork at IS for this dude.:

340?cb=20180321182246

I miss you Caulder/Stolos, and Advance Wars on the whole too. Please come back.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

13 minutes ago, Gregster101 said:

Still better than Iago and Hans though

Yeah, I can't argue with that one.

Man I can't wait for this banner to go up!

2 hours ago, GrandeRampel said:

That is very much wrong. He adores Guinevere in FE7. One of the reasons for his hatred of Zephiel is that he is older and the legitimate heir instead of Guinevere. It's all in Chp. 24.

Edited by Sweet Summer Tana
Highlight one more word

3 minutes ago, Sweet Summer Tana said:

That is very much wrong. He adores Guinevere in FE7. One of the reasons for his hatred of Zephiel is that he is older and the legitimate heir instead of Guinevere. It's all in Chp. 24.

He orders a soldier to kill her fox because Zephiel gave it to her. 

8 minutes ago, Sweet Summer Tana said:

Yeah, and he also hates Zephiel because Guinevere would rather play with her brother than her father. But I feel like Desmond's hatred for Zephiel kind of overshadows any love he has for Guinevere.

Edited by Anacybele

4 minutes ago, Othin said:

He orders a soldier to kill her fox because Zephiel gave it to her. 

Just now, Anacybele said:

Yeah, and he also hates Zephiel because Guinevere would rather play with her brother than her father. But I feel like Desmond's hatred for Zephiel kind of overshadows any love he has for Guinevere.

I don't see how that cancels out his love for her. He is absolutely a terrible person, but very human. It is unbelievable how some parents treat their children. You'd just have to read some stories of children of narcists to lose your faith in humanity and that's what Desmond kinda is.

8 minutes ago, Sweet Summer Tana said:

I don't see how that cancels out his love for her. He is absolutely a terrible person, but very human. It is unbelievable how some parents treat their children. You'd just have to read some stories of children of narcists to lose your faith in humanity and that's what Desmond kinda is.

Destroying a child's possessions (or pets) to keep them under their control is a classic abuse tactic. 

Desmond may be determined to look good to Guinivere, but that doesn't mean there's anything positive about their relationship. I don't think she remembered him fondly in FE6.

Edited by Othin

Just now, Othin said:

Destroying a child's possessions (or pets) to keep them under their control is a classic abuse tactic. 

Desmond may be determined to look good to Guinivere, but that doesn't mean there's anything positive about their relationship. I don't think she remembered hin fondly in FE6.

Yes, I know. Desmond is an abuser and he loves his daughter. There is not contradiction to me. His hatred and jealousy of his son drive him into that abuse because he absolutely doesn't want to share Guinevere with him or wants her to love someone he hates. Which he wouldn't do if he didn't love his daughter (in his abusive way):

Desmond:
“…Zephiel, you knave. Trying to steal my Guinivere’s love… …You will learn your place!”

I guess Desmond loves Guinivere in his own way, and we can't be certain if Hilda cares for her daughter or not. But you know what, they deserve their prize for their repeated offenses. The scum of the scum of all Fire Emblem is now officialy Desmond, Izuka, Lekain, Numida, Valtome, Hilda and Bloom because screw him too, he is just as guilty of what happened.

I guess Hans also cares only about himself and does horrible things, but if we add him to the list we would be giving undeserved attention to Brigand Boss with more screentime essentialy.

7 hours ago, Othin said:

In that case, he would do it in front of Guinevere, but he specifically orders the soldier not to let her know about it. IMO his motivation was using the fox as a proxy for Zephiel, since he’s not yet at the point where he actually attempts to kill him.

He’s pretty despicable, but he’s not in the same league as Hilda, who tortured and killed Tiltyu not because she was a political threat, but for pleasure.

Okay I don't know what the general feeling here, but who else is of the opinion that Ike was a horrible choice for this banner? I know people want more Ike alts but there were better choices than this. I guess it's based off him hypothetically touching the medallion which never happens in game, but they could have used an actual character who did that. As in Greil! And if they were going to give us Ike they could have introduced Ettard or the Regal Sword (Ike's version of the rapier, different weapon to the Blazing Blade one) instead of yet another Ragnell.

Uh. And Ashnard's a Grand Hero Battle unit too, which is fitting, but it means he's a bit on the underwhelming side. Shame they never used my idea to make him able to get armoured buffs. They don't seem to be referencing his armour at all. Given his weapon is just called Gurgurant this is also probably the only Ashnard they intend to give us. Well at least I can be glad he's finally in the game.

Fomortiis has also been on my wanted list for a very long time now. Though I think Green Tome is possible the most boring way they could have implemented him (would making him a beast unit really be all that out there IS? As I'm talking about in another thread you're already critically low on beast options). Hmm. Duma, Julius,  Idoun, Fomortiis, Ashnard, Grima, Takumi, Garon. We're only waiting on Medeus, Anankos, Veld and (lol) the Fire Dragon before we have all the pre 3H final bosses. At this rate they'll add Veld and the Fire Dragon before they add either version of Medeus.

Edited by Jotari

22 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Given his weapon is just called Gurgurant this is also probably the only Ashnard they intend to give us.

Seliph getting Tyrfing just called "Tyrfing" didn't prevent us from getting Sigurd with a different version of Tyrfing, and Ike getting Ragnell just called "Ragnell" didn't prevent us from getting Legendary Ike with the exact same weapon.

12 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Seliph getting Tyrfing just called "Tyrfing" didn't prevent us from getting Sigurd with a different version of Tyrfing, and Ike getting Ragnell just called "Ragnell" didn't prevent us from getting Legendary Ike with the exact same weapon.

No, not impossible, but what I mean is that what we've gotten wasn't Berserk Gurgurant or Dark Gurgurant, so this isn't exactly the berserk alt of the character and they later intend to add another "regular" version of the character. You know what I mean? It'd be kind of weird if his crazy alternate version gets regular Gurgurant while his regular version has, I don't know, Spikey Gurgurant or something. Now what wouldn't be weird is if they introduce a legendary version of him with some kind of other Gurgurant (or actually...beast/breath unit using Rajion? To thow out a crazy idea). And that's why I said "intended". I think if their intention was to give us another Ashnard in the foreseeable future then this would have been some alternate version of Gurgurant.

Of course nothing is impossible. I just don't expect another Ashnard any time soon. Especially given how long it took them to give us any kind of Ashnard at all. This doesn't feel like a Maretta situation to me. But, *shrug* maybe I'm wrong. If we do get another Ashnard I just hope he's a good unit (and that his armour gets referenced in some way, though now that I'm thinking of it him getting a bit of a Julius effect on his weapon is probably meant to reference his armour, if only slightly).

Edited by Jotari