Finished Conquest on Lunatic mode without DLC, Wifi, etc.

Zerxen

Never again. The difficulty of the Campaign was fair up until the last few chapters. I don't understand why the devs ruin perfectly good map design with enemies holding NPC exclusive skills. Still have PTSD from Ryoma's Ninja Hell. I felt tempted to use my DLC items just to make it even but I enjoyed the (painful) challenge.

I literally reset a few dozen times on Chapter 10, 12, 20, and everything past 24. The game got significantly easier when I had Xander use a Partner Seal to reclass into my Fem!Corrin's Swordmaster class. He dodgetanked just about everything and received minimal damage in the event he got hit. The only 2nd Gen characters I managed to recruit were Kana, Siegbert, Midori, Forrest, Soleil and Nina. I just about benched everyone beisdes Nina (who was excellent with her Shining Bow) due to the parents being superior in stats/levels even with the Offspring Seal used.

I don't know how a no-grind run of Lunatic can be done without Corrin having Ninja or Samurai as his/her talent. Had to turtle my way through Chapter 25 because I made the mistake of benching Niles and not using a single Captured enemy. Having Rallyman would have definitely saved me a dozen times over late-game.

Edited by Zerxen

Congrats. I used some DLC and logbook items when I did my clear. I didn't care to suffer too much, but those chapters with Inevitable End were bs. I had Shurikenbreaker on Selena, and bought the skill from another file onto my Niles. The final map I just Dance/Rescue cheesed and Warped my Corrin to blowup taco meat.

2 hours ago, CatManThree said:

No Paladin Jakob/10

I'm no expert on Fates but even I know that Paladin Jakob is insanely good on Lunatic.

Reclassed him into a Great Knight immediately and he was great Early game. I eventually benched him though for Peri and Xander.

9 minutes ago, Zerxen said:

Reclassed him into a Great Knight immediately and he was great Early game. I eventually benched him though for Peri and Xander.

Paladin Jakob is amazing in the early game and then spends the rest of the game as a phenomenal pair-up bot for Corn. His personal skill boosts Corn's avoid by 15 and reduces damage taken by three whenever Jakob is paired with em. Then there's the pairup bonuses from the paladin class whicha are great due to the mov bonus, defender, Jakob's solid natural pairup bonuses, and the solid pairup bonuses of the paladin class besides mov. 

42 minutes ago, JubileePhoenix said:

I gave up on chapter 27. Congrats! 

Thanks, i don't feel bad about using my units as meatshields on the final chapter. Hell, I found myself doing this on Normal mode alone.

IDK what the devs were on when they were designing Endgame. Conquest had my favorite maps in the series- if the royals were less busted and the story had been decent it'd probably be my dream FE game.

20 hours ago, Zerxen said:

The difficulty of the Campaign was fair up until the last few chapters. I don't understand why the devs ruin perfectly good map design with enemies holding NPC exclusive skills.

Congratulations, mate!
Now try it with only ten units, no royals and no “backpacks.” 😜

It has been years since I played a normal, common campaign, where all units are allowed and where certain units are only used because of their pair-up bonuses. And while I do not remember the exact reason why I started playing with smaller parties, the strict demands of Lunatic Endgame were an important one.

Up to Chapter 27, I can consistently complete all maps with ten units, no royals, no “backpacks”, no DLC, no path bonuses, no nothing. The big exception is Chapter 25, where Cornflakes must be able to hold Ryoma for various turns, for I never get to her in less than twenty turns.
The point of no return is Endgame. God, it may be impossible for multiple party combinations, even if these same units performed great during the previous 27 chapters.
I know what I have to do to fly-skip and finish the game, but I do not find it fun. And building a party with Endgame as its main goal is so restrictive that I do not enjoy it.

1 hour ago, JubileePhoenix said:

I gave up on chapter 27.

You are not alone, mate. You are not alone. Many times have I considered my campaign as “complete” after Chapter 27, precisely for how ridiculously restrictive Endgame is.

I prefer Hard not because it is easier, but because it is more flexible, it gives you more choices. On Lunatic, early game and specially late game force you to use everything at your disposal. On Hard, even with the restriction of using only ten units, you have plenty of room for trying multiple classes and approaches; and Endgame is never a decisive factor.

Congratulations, beating Conquest Lunatic, it is an accomplishment.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:53 PM, Zerxen said:

IDK what the devs were on when they were designing Endgame. Conquest had my favorite maps in the series- if the royals were less busted and the story had been decent it'd probably be my dream FE game.

Endgame on Lunatic is just frustrating unless you build for it the entire game, or cheese it with a 1-2 turn pass rescue staff strat; it is the biggest weakness of Conquest on Lunatic. As for the Royals, you can do just fine without them (other than maybe Elise). No real fixing the story, although I find assuming Azura is taking advantage of Corrin's naivete and lying to him about the illusion orb helps cover one of the dumber plot points.

The content for me winning was forging (I hope you didn't forget that), mess hall, marriage, and benching certain units, my MU F's class was cavalier, elbow room and defender was really helpful, and Jakob as a Great Knight with Luna, really broken with +1 move, and stat boosts, Xander worked well with Laslow as a master ninja, (I farmed EXP for Laslow as a ninja at chapter 22 Sakura, with those Oni Chieftains), Kaze and Camilla worked well,  Leo and Niles, and the rallyman, jumping to the end versus Garon and the endgame, tonics forging and supports is what mattered there, beating the endgame is rediculous, I didn't use any paralogues, I had a form of savestates and used that for my playthrough, my top 5 hardest chapters in order from hardest to easiest IMO without the My Castle orb being used are Endgame, Winds of Change Chapter 20, Chapter 25 Ryoma, Unhappy Reunion Chapter 10, The Eternal Stairway Chapter 21, the rest are difficult too but I think what makes the chapters A LOT easier is if you know when reinforcements will arrive, which you can't know on your first playthrough which is why I really don't like Conquest's difficulty but that's a diffrent topic.

While I did complete the game playing a hack of fates it's basically still the same game if you had used tonics in the vanilla game.

Edited by Fates-Blade

Ok so that was a lie...

Imma play Conquest Lunatic mode again- THIS TIME WITH DLC classes. I seldom used them even on easier difficulties.

Here we go again.

How did you get through chapter 22?

I almost beat it but the reinforcements that spawn when you get too close to Yukinura get me every time.

Should I just say screw the experience and seize as quickly as possible? 

Should I just say screw the experience and seize as quickly as possible?

Yeah, you don't need to worry about full clearing maps as long as the most important units on your team are strong enough. If your Corrin isn't capable of doing chapter 25 on her own you might want Shurikenbreaker before then, but otherwise the extra levels won't be too critical.

2 hours ago, samthedigital said:

Yeah, you don't need to worry about full clearing maps as long as the most important units on your team are strong enough. If your Corrin isn't capable of doing chapter 25 on her own you might want Shurikenbreaker before then, but otherwise the extra levels won't be too critical.

I really wanted Sakura’s Spirit Dust too!

Im just getting tired of resetting Chapter 22 over and over again as nauseum.

I have already attempted doing this with No DLC (Minus ghostly gold since I was taking so long to beat certain chapters I was slowly accumulating gold bars on a daily basis and turning months into minutes just didn’t seem like too much of a cheat to me) or My Castle stuff and failed (Siegbert’s paralogue just broke me...)

I really wanted Sakura’s Spirit Dust too!

You can get that on the turn you seize. If I remember correctly the first trigger for enemy reinforcements is past the wall on the top. Just get past that on the first turn and get ready to seize on the next.

On 5/6/2020 at 8:12 PM, starburst said:

Congratulations, mate!
Now try it with only ten units, no royals and no “backpacks.” 😜

It has been years since I played a normal, common campaign, where all units are allowed and where certain units are only used because of their pair-up bonuses. And while I do not remember the exact reason why I started playing with smaller parties, the strict demands of Lunatic Endgame were an important one.

Up to Chapter 27, I can consistently complete all maps with ten units, no royals, no “backpacks”, no DLC, no path bonuses, no nothing. The big exception is Chapter 25, where Cornflakes must be able to hold Ryoma for various turns, for I never get to her in less than twenty turns.
The point of no return is Endgame. God, it may be impossible for multiple party combinations, even if these same units performed great during the previous 27 chapters.
I know what I have to do to fly-skip and finish the game, but I do not find it fun. And building a party with Endgame as its main goal is so restrictive that I do not enjoy it.

You are not alone, mate. You are not alone. Many times have I considered my campaign as “complete” after Chapter 27, precisely for how ridiculously restrictive Endgame is.

I prefer Hard not because it is easier, but because it is more flexible, it gives you more choices. On Lunatic, early game and specially late game force you to use everything at your disposal. On Hard, even with the restriction of using only ten units, you have plenty of room for trying multiple classes and approaches; and Endgame is never a decisive factor.

Forgive my skepticism but having seen the unfair bs that Lunatic throws at you

(Glares at Kitsune Chapter, Iggy and Siegbert paralogues with particular dishonorable mentions) 

I really don’t see how you could beat the game with no royals and no backpacks let alone with just 10 units!

Seal skills on enemies wreck entire armies if you can’t ORKO them (Seal Speed being worst of them ALL) 

How on earth did you accomplish this and if you did accomplish it?

Ive been on conquer lunatic for almost 2 years now! 

11 minutes ago, samthedigital said:

You can get that on the turn you seize. If I remember correctly the first trigger for enemy reinforcements is past the wall on the top. Just get past that on the first turn and get ready to seize on the next.

So basically, we are talking clear the map up to the high wall and then bum rush Yukinura and Sakura right?

3 hours ago, Dr. C said:

I really don’t see how you could beat the game with no royals and no backpacks let alone with just 10 units!

No worries, I have been doing it for about two years, and I was not the only one. (Hell, Eltosian Kadath even did it without Attack Stance! He is the real heretic! Ha!)
I think that more experienced users would have shared their thoughts on that thread had I been here earlier. I “discovered” Conquest and this site in mid 2017, when everyone had already beaten the game multiple times and moved on, the hype was over.

You do not have to trust me, but proving something is immensely more difficult than doubting it. Thus, ask me something concrete and I will try to help you.
Honestly, after the cool stuff that I have seen other users accomplish here, my ten-units campaigns seem basic.

Spoiler

Chapter 19 plays exactly the same on Hard and Lunatic. You just advance in a cross-formation. It does not really matter who leads, for the defensive thresholds are not that high: You might believe that you need a General or Xander, but Sniper Mozu or Paladin Sophie or +Magic Noble Cornflakes or Mechanist Anna or Whatever Silas or a Berserker or a Wolfssegner can hold them too. It is rather methodical and completely reproducible.

Check my messages, most of them are about Conquest. I like it and replay it often.

Anyway, this is about Zerxen’s campaign. You may want to create another thread where we can continue talking about this. 

I did cheese chapters 19-20. For the Kitsune map, I had Effie paired up with Xander with a tonic and a meal and just had her tank the rest of the map while keeping a healer or 2 closeby.

The Eternal Stairway, I had my Swordmasters Corrin and Xander Paired Up together and dodge tank all of the golems. This was pretty RNG dependent so I don't recommend depending on who you married/ what talent you picked at the beginning.

All the other chapters had to be reset a least a couple dozen tons. Fuga's Wild Ride gave me a literal headache because all the Kinshi Knights kept killing Kaze equipped with Hunter's Knife. I don't feel bad for turtling this chapter.

Ok so in my second run of Lunatic, I decided to use Male Corrin (+Skill, -Luck) with a Ninja talent. This run is slightly easier than my first because I knew what to expect though I will admit I used different strats than the first time. I never broke all the pots in Ch.12 but I found myself having Azura DV while Silas shelters her. Also Jakob is far superior to Felicia. Idk if I could’ve gotten past my first time with a Male Corrin.

Are the DLC classes from Before Awakening busted? I decided to be more lenient my second time and use this DLC to grind up any supports to ensure I get certain child characters? I don’t plan on using the EXP or Gold dlcs since that defeats the purpose of Conquest.

Unrelated but who should my Ninja Corrin S Rank?

4 hours ago, Zerxen said:

Ok so in my second run of Lunatic, I decided to use Male Corrin (+Skill, -Luck) with a Ninja talent. This run is slightly easier than my first because I knew what to expect though I will admit I used different strats than the first time. I never broke all the pots in Ch.12 but I found myself having Azura DV while Silas shelters her. Also Jakob is far superior to Felicia. Idk if I could’ve gotten past my first time with a Male Corrin.

Why +Skill?? I consider +HP much better.

4 hours ago, Zerxen said:

Are the DLC classes from Before Awakening busted? I decided to be more lenient my second time and use this DLC to grind up any supports to ensure I get certain child characters? I don’t plan on using the EXP or Gold dlcs since that defeats the purpose of Conquest.

In a word: No. In fact, I'd say they're quite the opposite - that being that they're underwhelming for how much of a headache it is to ensure that Chrom doesn't get defeated, with his Artificial Stupidity.

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Why +Skill?? I consider +HP much better.

In a word: No. In fact, I'd say they're quite the opposite - that being that they're underwhelming for how much of a headache it is to ensure that Chrom doesn't get defeated, with his Artificial Stupidity.

Idk, I ran that with my Samurai Corrin and she went pretty well. I kinda regret it now considering how Ninja doesn't get any Proc Skills, but at least hit rates aren't an issue.

Didn't realize the DLC Classes are underwhelming- only classes I actually used were Dark Flier and Witch which I found busted thanks to the skills. YMMV about the Chrom part; typically Lissa usually gets KO'd.

3 minutes ago, Zerxen said:

Didn't realize the DLC Classes are underwhelming- only classes I actually used were Dark Flier and Witch which I found busted thanks to the skills. YMMV about the Chrom part; typically Lissa usually gets KO'd.

I was talking about Lodestar and Great Lord (which you get from Before Awakening if and only if all of Chrom, Lissa and Frederick survive) specifically.

Idk, I ran that with my Samurai Corrin and she went pretty well. I kinda regret it now considering how Ninja doesn't get any Proc Skills, but at least hit rates aren't an issue.

Personally, I don't find hit rates to be THAT much of an issue most of the time. Durability, on the other hand, might be when you only have like two units that can take hits (without the worry of getting their teeth bashed in by critical hits, that is).

Edited by Shadow Mir

On 5/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, Zerxen said:

I did cheese chapters 19-20.

You might want to check if the messages herethere and over there provide you with something useful. They are not my favourite maps, but I do not dislike them either. Both are very methodical.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:59 AM, Zerxen said:

The Eternal Stairway [...] was pretty RNG dependent

This is the map that scares me the most. And I have yet to beat it on Lunatic without Sorcerers.
I can beat it without fliers or horses, but have not found a reliable way to complete it (with all ten units) using only physical units. The last time that I tried it, I had to Freeze the “Rockers” more times than I would like to admit, and could not kill the boss.

16 hours ago, Zerxen said:

I decided to use Male Corrin (+Skill, -Luck) with a Ninja talent.

I would have gone +Strength -Magic, but it is too late to change it, I guess.
I never really got into the Ninja-is-overpowered wagon, mostly because Cornflakes is often one of my two “tanks” and Ninja would fuck her Defence; but also because I find it more difficult to reach the offensive thresholds with a Ninja than with other Player-Phase units, like a Sniper, Berserker or Sorcerer.

16 hours ago, Zerxen said:

Are the DLC classes from Before Awakening busted? I decided to be more lenient my second time and use this DLC to grind up any supports to ensure I get certain child characters?

Both classes are based on Speed and Dodge, but they at least give you some variety: Polaris is as close as you will get to a Sword Master in Conquest (with as much Luck as Elise), and Great Lord’s last two skills (Aether and Awakening) are fun to use.
(I consider DLC classes as advanced classes, and would therefore use them as promotions.)

The map itself is very easy and fast, specially if played early. The first message of this thread might help you.

Edited by starburst

+skl is a little underrated, and I would choose it primarily for the ability to hit more enemies reliably than anything else. The only problem I have with it is that it makes one rounding Takumi harder depending on the build.