Who would you pick as the final character?

Perkilator

Just as the title says, who would you pick to end Smash Ultimate’s life cycle with a bang? My pick would be one of:

Sora: Near and dear to a lot of people, including myself.

Crash: Big gaming icon with his relevance boosted by the N. Sane Trilogy

Jill Valentine: New style of gameplay to Smash, from one of the most influential games ever made.

Excitebiker: A classic NES franchise that made its marks in Nintendo history.

As I feel Smash is desperately lacking in Shooter and/or Horror game representation, I feel a few picks that would really be a great choice would be. 

Doomguy/Doom Marine: The game that practically built the the FPS genre and has had a recent revival, I feel if they could get around the hard M of Doom he'd make a great addition. 

Master Chief: The game that we can thank for basically every modern shooter and proving that consoles can handle shooters as well as a PC, Master Chief is among the icons who defined a generation. 

Leon Kennedy: Just as valid as Jill Valentine, but I feel he better represents the franchise at this point tha ks to RE2 remake being much better received that RE3, and with a potential RE4 remake announcement sometime within the next year or so, I feel he'll be the face of the franchise for a while now.

Lara Croft: A icon of the 90s and would fill in the nicely open spot of an Adventure game character, as the only other options out there would really be Nathan Drake or some from The Last of Us, but with Naughty Dog in hot water at the moment, I feel Lara would be the best choice. 

Vault Boy: Even with Bethesda in hot water right now, especially the Fallout franchise, he's less likely, but still, the game lacks any representation for Western RPGs. On top of this, I feel another 2D/Cartoon character aka Gamenwatch would be a lot of fun.

The Dovakiin: Skyrim was and still is one of the biggest western RPGs out there, and I feel he would be a good pick to represent the genre as a whole. 

Gerald of Rivia: While he is probably the least likely out of all the ones ive mentioned, the Witcher III was another one of the biggest western RPGs of the decade, and I with Cyberpunk 2077 coming sometime soon, I would definitely be good press for CD Projekt Red.

I mean, Bayonetta was M rated and look what happened. That's no problem now.

I mean, good answers and all, but we all know the addition that'd be the end of Smash as we know it: Goku.

Note, I don't mean I expect or desire to see Goku. But I think nothing else could end Smash as it's known now like Goku.

I would announce all five fighters back-to-back:

1. Alm (without a bow)
  2. Seliph
  3. Leif
  4. Eliwood
  5. Rowan (without a shield)

Then, after enough time for angry Smash Bros. fans to flood the stream with complaints, the video says, "Just kidding" and reveals the actual final characters. I don't know who all of them would be, but two of them would be Elma and Captain Toad. 

Honestly two of my main hopes are Amaterasu and the MC of Astral Chain. I know both are unlikely, but I feel like both would be interesting characters.

3 hours ago, JAZ_2002 said:

Gallade. That's it.

I lied. That isn't it. Another idea I've been having fun with is a Monster Hunter duo.

Like maybe a Greatsword user with a Rathalos set and a Light Bowgun user with a Rathian set. Y'know like GS for close up and LBG for ranged attacks?

End it the way the first fighter pass did (and even kinda Smash 4's did): with a Fire Emblem character. Now who would cause more salt: Ryoma, because he's a swordie and the second addition from the game a lot of people have a hate-boner for, or the next game's avatar character?

But if I were to be serious...2B.

This is really just another thinly-veiled "Who do you want in Smash?" topic.

If they're going to break all the rules for the final character, I say put the character to end all characters.

People keep saying Goku, but I think a much bigger and memorable choice would be Mickey Mouse. He's the most well-known cartoon character ever in the whole world, and has been in plenty of video games to take material from.

Also I want to really see the reactions to getting Mickey Mouse and not Sora.

15 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Just as the title says, who would you pick to end Smash Ultimate’s life cycle with a bang? My pick would be one of:

Sora: Near and dear to a lot of people, including myself.

Crash: Big gaming icon with his relevance boosted by the N. Sane Trilogy

Jill Valentine: New style of gameplay to Smash, from one of the most influential games ever made.

Excitebiker: A classic NES franchise that made its marks in Nintendo history.

What new style of gameplay does Jill provide that Snake doesn't already cover? I refer to this comment I made in the Fighters Pass thread.

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

Unless they want to go with Wesker, Snake already kind of covers the niche any Resident Evil protagonist could really fill. Not that you can't necessary have two different movesets based around fire arms, but there are other characters with more interesting moveset potential out there (such as Wesker).

Edited by Jotari

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What new style of gameplay does Jill provide that Snake doesn't already cover? I refer to this comment I made in the Fighters Pass thread.

Unlike Snake, Jill would have to keep an eye on her inventory, which Snake doesn’t have in Smash.

2 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Unlike Snake, Jill would have to keep an eye on her inventory, which Snake doesn’t have in Smash.

While that's a good idea concept for the character based on how Resident Evil games (generally) are, it's not something that's guaranteed to be attached to her and it's also something we've seen before with Olimar, Robin and Hero.

Edited by Jotari

16 hours ago, JAZ_2002 said:

Gallade. That's it.

Great, another anime swordsman... Just kidding. 

11 hours ago, Florete said:

End it the way the first fighter pass did (and even kinda Smash 4's did): with a Fire Emblem character. Now who would cause more salt: Ryoma, because he's a swordie and the second addition from the game a lot of people have a hate-boner for, or the next game's avatar character?

Or even better: all five final fighters get announced back-to-back: Ryoma, Xander, and the Three House leaders; all of whom (as in the three house leaders) are using swords because Byleth stole their signature weapons. 

Then, after a minute, the video says, "Just kidding" and announces the actual last five fighters. 

The conventional choice for me would be Krystal, Crash, or Shantae, but I get the feeling none of those would surpass the bombshell that was Banjo & Kazooie. For the very last DLC fighter, they need something big, something game-changing, something with more WOW factor than B&K, something people didn't think was possible.

And my pick for that would be a Sony fighter. Microsoft got B&K in, so as long as Nintendo and Sony are willing to play nice, Sony could get a fighter into Smash as well. The question is who? Which character from Sony's library would generate enough excitement to make their inclusion in Smash worth it?

Kratos is one option, as God of War is a big name in the industry, and he's made a couple crossover appearances already in Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur. Not to mention his trailer could be pretty epic, with him facing Ganondorf, who boasts of wielding the power of gods. Kratos retorts that he has killed more than one god in his lifetime, and that he himself is the God of War. Ganondorf laughs, acknowledging that Kratos claimed that title from another, and declares that it's time for a new God of War to rise, implying that he intends to supplant Kratos just as Kratos did Ares. Cue epic battle between the Son of Olympus and the Demon King.

Another candidate that I think would generate some excitement is Ratchet & Clank, following a buddy mechanic not unlike Banjo & Kazooie. With all their weapons and gadgets, Ratchet & Clank would be a perfect fit for Smash. We could see several fan favorites from their series as background characters in their stage, including Captain Qwark and Dr. Nefarious. Obviously the Spirit Board would also include these characters.

Jak and Sly would also be neat, but sadly neither of them have been all that relevant lately. On the other hand, B&K weren't all that relevant before they returned in Smash to much applause, so one of them making a surprise return in a Nintendo crossover game of all places could be quite the twist in itself. Not to mention if Sly was the crossover fighter of choice they could also pay homage to Rocket: Robot on Wheels, a game Sucker Punch made for the N64.

Failing any of those choices, I'll say that Sora would probably be an appropriate cap off to a game with a story mode centering around a war between Light and Darkness. The Disney elements would have to be downplayed here, but they could still feature original characters from the KH series such as Kairi, Riku, Terra, Aqua, Ventus, Axel/Lea, Xehanort, and Vanitas. References to Disney characters and worlds would be kept vague, and Disney-related imagery like the Mickey Mouse symbol on Sora's Keychain would probably be replaced with crowns or hearts. The Stage would probably be Radiant Garden, with Final Fantasy and KH characters appearing in the background. Heartless such as Shadows, Soldiers, and Large Bodies could appear as enemies, perhaps even Darkside as a stage boss.

They might've learned their lesson after Byleth (I mean that's what we all thought after Corrin), or maybe not. If they did we could expect a big character like Sora or Crash. However, if they didn't, then they could just pick a character from one of their upcoming games. 

1 minute ago, Bk1234 said:

They might've learned their lesson after Byleth (I mean that's what we all thought after Corrin), or maybe not. If they did we could expect a big character like Sora or Crash. However, if they didn't, then they could just pick a character from one of their upcoming games. 

What do you mean by learned their lesson? I haven't heard anything to the contrary, but I imagine Byleth has been just as popular as any other DLC character. Three HOuses at least seems as if it's been a pretty popular game. It's already sold almost three million copies.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

What do you mean by learned their lesson? I haven't heard anything to the contrary, but I imagine Byleth has been just as popular as any other DLC character. Three HOuses at least seems as if it's been a pretty popular game. It's already sold almost three million copies.

Good point. Byleth is my favorite FP 1 character, but I mean in terms of the ridiculous fan outcry, which I don't think Nintendo would want to re-create. I wouldn't mind another FE rep or a Nintendo rep though.

Edited by Bk1234

35 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Good point. Byleth is my favorite FP 1 character, but I mean in terms of the ridiculous fan outcry, which I don't think Nintendo would want to re-create. I wouldn't mind another FE rep or a Nintendo rep though.

What fan outcry?

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

What fan outcry?

The insane amount of hate and dislike regarding Byleth was insane after his release. I kind of hope that Nintendo gives another FE rep to show that you don't get what you want by whining and complaining. 

Edited by Bk1234

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

The insane amount of hate and dislike regarding Byleth was insane after his release. I kind of hope that Nintendo gives another FE rep to show that you don't get what you want by whining and complaining. 

Do you have sales figures to back that assertion up? Because Nintendo doesn't care about people bitching online. What they care about is profit margins.