Monastery Design Flops

While watching closefully to the Garreg Mach ingame design, I saw a mistake in the dormitories section. In the outdoors point of view, there are three separate buildings, while the indoors map of the upper floors depicts only one full building with three sections. That is, unless the second floor dormitories are in a different building, which is highly unlikely due to the cliff on the other side as seen in the artbook (and from Leonie's window).

Something similar happens with the second floor of the same building, with both the library and the meeting room fitting nowhere in the outdoor layout. Both parts of the building would be place on thin air at the sides of the monastery. However, there's a great part of the second floor unused, so with some corridor rearrangement (making it go straight rather than around the other section), it could fit with the outdoors layout.

Have you seen any other mismatches in the design of the Monastery, either within the gameplay area or in cutscenes and animated videos?

The second one is definitely one I noticed.

As for the first, I was first thinking the second floor was suspended as a separate building in order for there to be a sky in the windows in the first floor (not just Leonie's) following that logic, but it is shown for the second floor dormitory that the dorm rooms are divided into sections and there's a stairs between each. A stars that isn't shown on the outside looking from below, so that is definitely an oversight.

There are also several area strangely built but never opened in the game

- The whole East section that was never used, it's block by a strange tree next to the cemetery

You could see from afar there are several dormitory, a tower(called Black tower in the art book), and a gated area

- The area west of the Cathedral, a gate guard by a solider. It seems to me like some kind facility

- The tower far north behind Cathedral, it's known as White Tower in the artbook.

The dormitories on the East side belong to the staff, since there's where you go during Flayn's dissappearance. I think they remain closed just because there are not enough characters to have people near every facility (the upper dorms are empty almost every month). The guarded gate to the west leads to the treasure vault, where there aren't many valuables as said by the guard during the chapter where you get the Sword of the Creator, so it made no sense to add it to the game.

Another thing I noticed in the dormitories section is that there's one dormitory missing in the upper floor of the first building, just above Leonie's. I think they could've kept that room locked and be given later to Flayn once she becomes a student herself. As a noble, she'd belong to the upper floor and as a girl to the southern part (the only girl living in a dormitory to the north is Byleth if female). I think that would have make Flayn's immersion into the student life to look more realistic (and her room would be the farthest from Sylvain's to ease Seteth).

Design-wise, I'd have added more stairs leading to the upper dorms, like between buildings, or at the male side of the dorms, leading up to Sylvain's.

6 hours ago, paladin21 said:

The dormitories on the East side belong to the staff, since there's where you go during Flayn's dissappearance. I think they remain closed just because there are not enough characters to have people near every facility (the upper dorms are empty almost every month). The guarded gate to the west leads to the treasure vault, where there aren't many valuables as said by the guard during the chapter where you get the Sword of the Creator, so it made no sense to add it to the game.s.

Ah? Isn't the treasure vault right next to the cemetery? A priest told you that in Chapter 4

Priest: Do you know what this room is? It is the church's treasure vault. I say treasure, but I do not mean silver and gold and jewels. It mostly contains weapons, artifacts, and the like. Anything that would cause too great a stir should it be stolen? No. The church knows better than to store anything too valuable in such an accessible location.

And Linhardt in Chapter 10

Linhardt: I slipped quietly into the vault and rummaged about, looking for anything we might find useful. There is a group of people who want to kill us, after all. What? This is no time for asking permission. I learned long ago that one can ask permission or forgiveness. It is rarely useful to request the former. Still, it appears that the knights have already taken everything useful. There were Crest-related objects I thought might be worth studying, so– There you go again with that stern look. Of course I'll put them back when I'm done. Assuming they bear no additional use.

And staff room is the area just south of Knight's Hall, it's not even connected to the east wing physically.

Edited by Timlugia

4 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Ah? Isn't the treasure vault right next to the cemetery? A priest told you that in Chapter 4

I meant east, you're right. That's the place I was thinking, but I wrote something else.

1026953216_GarregMod.thumb.jpg.f4fc2fb4694c11ce0bea1c9b66b47b10.jpg

In the map above, the vault would be the red part, and the staff dorms the yellow part, with the orange point just being the access to the staff gardens leading to their quarters.

I don't know what would be the closed zones within the cathedral, but if had to guess, the north part of it would be filled with relics and such, with the vault being just an upgraded armoury of sorts.