There will only be 4 Fire Emblem characters in Smash. Which 4 do you pick?

Barst, a skilled woodcutter specializing in throwing axes. Honestly, not having any axe users yet is lame because only the axe users are cool. Barst would not only be a Dunkey meme, he could actually be a really fun character with decent weight, speed, and power. His special moves would include the Hand Axe (a basic projectile) and the Devil Axe (which is extremely powerful, but also deals damage to Barst). I actually like this idea so much that I wrote out a little more of what Barst's moveset could be.

Spoiler

Neutral Special: Hand Axe, a basic thrown projectile.
Side Special: Brave Axe, a move which functions like a two-hit, slower, stronger Dancing Blade. The down variant of the second hit buries an opponent.
Down Special: Devil Axe, which deals high damage and has incredible knockback, but which deals significant damage to Barst when used. Barst has some super armor on this move.
Up Special: Bolt Axe, a rising swing with a magically charged axe, it deals multiple weak hits of electrical damage and ends with a powerful upwards-angled blow at the apex.

I actually considered not having Brave Axe as the side special, but rather giving Barst two separate throwing axes with different properties for neutral and side special. Side special would be this sort of clumsy hurl of a slower moving axe, while neutral special would be this lightening fast boomerang axe.

Barst can be seen rearing a Killer Axe when charging his Smash attacks if its not his default weapon. His tilts aren't always the fastest on the ground, Barst is oddly enough more on an air fighter. Some of his hearty aerial overheads make for powerful meteor smashes.

His final smash is Critical Hit, much like Marth. However, Barst's variant is an underhand swing which sends opponents straight upwards.
Might be renamed to "Effective Hit" since axes have many effective variants.

Marth, because I think people like him actually. He's a tradition. I think the tipper is cool.

Xavier, a super heavy weight character who takes over Byleth's role of using all the weapons. The fact that a Jugdral character would make it in over more popular choices would also be funny. His final Smash is forcing you to recruit him.

Spoiler

He has bad jumps and aerials and recovery but is pretty much impossible to knock off stage. On the ground, Xavier benefits from excellent range given his lances and bows. Though he can be somewhat easily combo'd on account of his great weight and size, he can use his special move Pavise to give himself some room to mount a counter offensive.

Robin, not because I really like Robin, but because I think the tome durability mechanic is really cool and I'm not sure who else it would fit on. Canonical mage fighters best approximate what Robin can do, but I don't think any of them are as interesting to be honest.

Quite strangely, this list changes Fire Emblem into a series represented mostly by people with projectiles.

Honorable mentions are allowed.

If I were being more "realistic", I'd keep Marth and Roy and Ike and Robin, scrap everyone else, and make Roy's side special into a fireball projectile.

16 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Barst, a skilled woodcutter specializing in throwing axes. Honestly, not having any axe users yet is lame because only the axe users are cool. Barst would not only be a Dunkey meme, he could actually be a really fun character with decent weight, speed, and power. His special moves would include the Hand Axe (a basic projectile) and the Devil Axe (which is extremely powerful, but also deals damage to Barst). I actually like this idea so much that I wrote out a little more of what Barst's moveset could be.

I would have went Hector and made him literally fly with the Hectorcopter. Because I'm insane.

12 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I would have went Hector and made him literally fly with the Hectorcopter. Because I'm insane.

Insane? Nay, that is genius.

Personally the answer would be Marth, Lucina, Roy, Ike, but from a pure representation standpoint.

Marth - classic, technically the series mascot. A smash staple.

Ike - Also classic, represents some of the best games in the series, not quite as cemented as Marth but still a staple

Robin - Not classic, but is the only character that thoroughly represents the series mechanics and involves magic. I might despise him, but he's probably the best representation of the series, plus Awakening saved the franchise and all

Byleth - Is the only character to incorporate all the physical weapons into their play-style. A bit gimmicky, but super unique and one of the most fun characters in the game imo. Represents more of the new series.

If I had my dream roster, toss out Robin, give Ike either both the Ragnell and Alondite, or the Ragnell and Urvan. Yeah I know he doesn't actually do that, but it'd be super cool so totally do it. Maybe have it change based on alt, like a psuedo echo fighter. Actually maybe not, that sounds like a bad idea. Anyways, keep Marth the same, and then rework Byleth so that he acts more like Pokemon trainer. Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude will switch out with each other, either in pre or post skip attire depending on the alt. Claude is a combo based projectile character, like a heavier Young Link, who lacks killing power. Dimitri is a zoner, or "distance demon". He's about gimping other characters. Edelgard is just axe wielding Ganondorf. Change Byleth's Down B to her Neutral B and we're good. I can make actual full movesets for them later. The last character I think should be is Celica. I think her dynamic of using hp for magic instead of tome durability is a much more interesting idea. Sort of like Pichu mixed with Hero. This would fill the magic quota much better than Robin, while also representing (hopefully) the trend of remakes of past games.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

His final Smash is forcing you to recruit him.

That's evil. I love it. But, wait, there's something that's... not quite... ah, there.

1 hour ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

His final Smash is forcing you to recruit him without any sleep swords or staves.

There, fixed it for you.

Anyway, for the boring and predictable, but plausible picks: Marth to represent everything Kaga (swordie), Hector to represent GBA (axeman), Ike to represent Tellius (bigger swordie), Robin to represent modern FE (mage).

As fond as I am of Roy in Smash, there's no way to justify him, and I'd rather there wasn't the same amount of people to represent Awakening alone than all of the previous FE games combined. Lucina and Chrom are more clones, Corrin is kinda unique but not as much as Robin, and Byleth's... well, if I had 5 slots, I'd definitely include Byleth, if only because they're unique and from a game that everyone but me loves. If I had 6 slots, I'd throw in Sigurd to represent Jugdral (and also cavalry, since there are absolutely no fighters on horseback in Smash).

I don't have 5 or 6 slots, though, and I think Robin's magic is far more unique and fun than Byleth's "here have all the weapons" gimmick, and Sigurd's horse could be a pain to implement.

If I were to put in my favorites, even FE fans would be wondering who the heck those people are, so it's probably for the best that I'm not involved in the process. Also the fact that I'd add enough Berwick Saga representatives to dwarf the FE roster if I was in charge.

Here's who I'd put in if, and only IF, we had to have 4 fire emblem characters only.

1. Ike (one of my favorite characters in the series, up there with the three houses lords)
2. Marth (he's a classic and from the very first game in the series)
3. Robin (from the game that literally revitalized the entire series)
4. Edelgard ((she seems to be the most popular three houses character according to heroes)

1: Lucina. Other than being a personal favorite, I think she is one of the better designed smash characters from a gameplay PoV.

2: Byleth. I think they did a great job with this moveset, all things considered.

3: Marth, I guess? just to be there, I suppose.

4: Ike. While I don't personally enjoy him as a character, a lot do, so he's alright being here.

Honestly? Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin, the main ones we have already. Robin and Corrin give us obviously different movesets with magic and dragon stuff, Marth has the basic sword lord and Ike provides something unique with the heavy blade that so far no one else is utilizing. It helps that he's a popular character too. I think all four of these characters were chosen for very good reason given moveset potential and relative popularity at the time of implementation. They are the best choices, outside of making the Fire Emblem characters generics of Sword user, Lance user, axe user and bow user with different costumes for various characters from across the series (and even that idea would ignore both magic and dragons).

Marth, Ike, Robin and Edelgard sound good if only for proper representation of the series. Marth has the older games/general series legacy covered, Ike represents the series' refinement, Robin represents the series' resurgence/evolution, and Edelgard represents modern FE. And none of them will have a similar playstyle, which helps. 

I agree with those saying Marth, Ike, Robin and Edelgard:

- Marth is Fire Emblem as it began

- Ike is Fire Emblem at its very best

- Robin is Fire Emblem's resurgence

- Edelgard is Fire Emblem's biggest and most ambitious project

All of them would also have unique movesets and other factors that help them stand out, and I honestly would enjoy seeing all four in Smash Bros. Marth is by no means in my list of favourite Fire Emblem characters, but if I went by that rule, this would be three Tellius characters and one Three Houses character.

i'd say Marth, Ike, Robin and Byleth, as much as i hate the fact that he's in

Edelgard is probably not gonna happen, i don't think they're making a second completely original character from a game another FE fighter already comes from: Awakening has 3 reps, yet 2 of them are clones because reasons

for these reasons, i'll stick with byleth, and not even "student-trainer byleth", that is absolutely out of question

as for Marth, Ike and Robin, many others already said what i would say

Marth
Marth is the Pikachu of Fire Emblem and the one character of the franchise I'm absolutely positive will never be removed from the Smash roster. He's also the one FE character I feel like is 100% deserving of every bit of Smash fame, presence, and what have you. He's a mainstay, and he stays.

Lyn
She should have been added to the roster a long time ago, honestly; as early as Brawl. She's proven herself to be one of the most popular FE characters over the years and has definitely shown a great deal of staying power. Simply being an Assist Trophy is less than she deserves.

Ike
Along with Lyn, Ike is the other character that's proven himself to be one of the most popular FE characters, and shown tremendous staying power. He's kind of a mainstay, and gives players a different flavor than Marth.

Robin
Robin is probably the most unique character of all the Smash FE characters, or at least he was until Byleth showed up. Regardless, Robin deserves to be there; he's one of the most major representations of the resurgence of FE, and he's probably the most major representation of an FE avatar. He doesn't represent the weapon triangle (plus bows) like Byleth does, but he has more than enough merit to be in Smash.

Marth and Robin keep their classic moves. Lyn's moves could consist of making use of both the Katti swords (possibly dual-wielding, or using the Sol solely in her Final Smash), as well as bows. Ike's moves could be tweaked slightly to include Urvan. The only thing left unrepresented is lances.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Marth/Lucina, as alt costumes of one another. And no, I don't consider that to be cheating.

Ike and Edelgard as alt costumes of one another, using both sword and axe attacks. Ike would use Urvan and Ragnell while Edelgard would use Aymr and the Sword of Seiros.

Robin (Male and Female). The tomes and durability systems really make Robin unique.

Azura - water attacks, lance attacks, and dancing/singing would make for a truly unique kit.

18 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Ike and Edelgard as alt costumes of one another, using both sword and axe attacks. Ike would use Urvan and Ragnell while Edelgard would use Aymr and the Sword of Seiros.

simply impossible for a number of reasons

1) their hurtboxes can't match, like at all

2) i doubt anyone could see at a hypothetical Edelgard with Ike's animations and say "yeah, they fit perfectly"

3) Ragnell and the Sword of Seiros are too different, making attacks with both these swords with the same properties would not only feel inappropriate (Ragnell is heavy, and in Smash this means higher lag, the Sword of Seiros simply wouldn't match this criteria), but also kinda insulting for the swords themselves

Edited by Yexin

1 minute ago, Yexin said:

simply impossible for a number of reasons

1) their hurtboxes can't match, like at all

2) i doubt anyone could see at a hypothetical Edelgard with Ike's animations and say "yeah, they fit perfectly"

3) Ragnell and the Sword of Seiros are too different, making attacks with both these swords with the same properties would not only feel inappropriate (Ragnell is heavy, and in Smash this means higher lag, the Sword of Seiros simply wouldn't match this criteria), but also kinda insulting for the swords themselves

1) No one cares.

2) No one cares.

3) No one cares.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

1) No one cares.

2) No one cares.

3) No one cares.

1) Yeah, a number of people kinda do care

2) Yeah; a number of people kinda do care

3) Yeah; a number of people kinda do care

Edited by vanguard333

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

1) No one cares.

2) No one cares.

3) No one cares.

1) Sakurai does

2) Sakurai does

3) Sakurai does

i'm not replying another one of your comments, so have a good day and bye

Yeah, I'm sure the guy who removed Ike's canon sword beam and replaced it with a non-canon fire smash REALLY cares about minutiae.

I'm sure the man who gave Byleth all of the 3H lords' weapons to appease the sword-haters really cares about canon weapon properties.

I'm sure the man who edits character sizes for the sake of gameplay all the damn time really cares about a difference of a few inches between characters. 

Gameplay is king above all other considerations. Have a great day yourself.

Edited by Etheus

Marth for swords and is the OG Lord. Represents the pre 3DS era

Robin for tomes and the weapon durability mechanic. Represents the 3DS era.

Anna for daggers and staves and has constant appearances throughout the series.

Byleth brings in the rest of the weapon types with the moveset he already has. Represents the new era Three Houses has brought in.

OP: Barst and Xavier

Replies: Ike and Edelgard

11 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

I can make actual full movesets for them later. The last character I think should be is Celica. I think her dynamic of using hp for magic instead of tome durability is a much more interesting idea. Sort of like Pichu mixed with Hero. This would fill the magic quota much better than Robin, while also representing (hopefully) the trend of remakes of past games.

Celica would be pretty cool, actually. A good choice to replace Robin since I don't think Tailtyu would be all that much better. I still think the idea of attacks having limited uses that you can't "go into debt" for is very interesting, though. It's a totally different sort of thing that racking up percentage to use your moves and I think would require different sorts of strategic considerations.

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's evil. I love it. But, wait, there's something that's... not quite... ah, there.

There, fixed it for you.

Perfect.

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If I were to put in my favorites, even FE fans would be wondering who the heck those people are, so it's probably for the best that I'm not involved in the process. Also the fact that I'd add enough Berwick Saga representatives to dwarf the FE roster if I was in charge.

C'mon man, you know you want to. Give us three Berwick Saga characters and Eugen.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Marth/Lucina, as alt costumes of one another. And no, I don't consider that to be cheating.

I would agree, actually, that's not cheating. Having Ike and Edelgard on one character is lame, though. If you're just going to mutate Edelgard into a costume for something totally different than her, what's even the point of having her?

7 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

OP: Barst and Xavier

Replies: Ike and Edelgard

That's what you get for giving your topic a serious name.

I must say, I am surprised by the amount of people who haven't picked anyone from FE7. As much as I don't like that game so much anymore, it is still the first game to be released worldwide and the introduction to the series of many of its fanbase. That has to count for something, right? I'd say that deserves some representation. Modern FE doesn't need more than one character in the context of only four slots.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

C'mon man, you know you want to. Give us three Berwick Saga characters and Eugen.

Well, since you asked so nicely...

Ward: a heavy-weight that dual-wields a sword and a spear. Deals mighty blows and takes little knockback. Kinda like Yoshi, he uses his beard as his shield and also in his counter, as well as a few of his standard moves. In his final smash, he greatly grows his beard and all enemies caught in it are instantly defeated. Because you can't win against the Endgame Beard.

Derrick: the new slowest character in the game, beating even Robin. His moves are all about as slow as Lucas's up-smash. On the flipside, he has a resistance to knockback to surpass even N64 Metal Mario, so he'll usually outlast his enemies. In his final smash, he falls over, causing an earthquake that will deal damage to everybody on the ground.

Matthis: the pick to drive even the FE fans themselves into HOES MADness. He's on horseback, and thus almost as fast as Sonic, but his damage is terrible, although he does have a ranged attack in his javelins. For his final smash, he summons an aura, kinda like Luigi's Negative Zone in brawl. All opponents caught in it turn into Lena, and Matthis proceeds to skewer them while proclaiming his desire to see his sister one last time before he dies. The Matthis Syndrome Zone.

Eugen: a character so godly that all tournaments ban him, but he still gets in because you can't ban the Eugen. He is the fastest, strongest, most durable character in the entire game. He has seven different 0-to-death combos. When fighting other Eugens, to prevent a softlock, the match instantly ends in a tie, because Eugen acknowledges that Eugen is a great warrior, worthy of respect and not deserving of a painful death at the hands of Eugen. He has a projectile attack where he punches Holmes into his enemies, this instantly KOs them. He can also conscript cute girls into his army to fight for him and/or heal him. He has a grab with double the range of Marth's in Melee, where he instantly beheads the victim and takes one of their stocks. In his final smash, he roasts all the opponents on the field with his unparalleled sass. This not only kills them, it takes all of their remaining lives, and it causes the player's console to blow to smithereens.

He is balanced, however, because he's a paid DLC character. He requires that you pay 5000$ and that you join his army for at least 6 months. Per match.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

he uses his beard as his shield

You forgot the one where he uses light magic and staves to annihilate his foes:

On 5/7/2020 at 2:06 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Ozkdxfhm o

I guess I should contribute, then.

• The Elibe/Archanea whitewings; (y'know, as different alts, like Olimar and Alph) They are similar to the Pokemon trainer in the way that they switch around; Palla uses her sword, Catria uses her spear and Est throws stuff. Final smash would be, (what else?) a triangle attack.
  • Berwick Saga Faye: Her attack power is pretty weak, but if she doesn't move before attacking, the foe takes huge damage; has a 65% chance to have an uncounterable follow-up attack and a 90% chance to make the enemies' attacks inexplicably miss.
  • Arran; he dies after three minutes but is godlike while he lives.
  • Serra. She yells at the players until they give up.

On 5/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

That's what you get for giving your topic a serious name.

My mistake, I guess. I was hoping people would go for "hey, this would be a fun / cool character" rather than "this would represent 25% of Fire Emblem"

On 5/11/2020 at 4:39 PM, Benice said:

Arran; he dies after three minutes but is godlike while he lives.

Sounds OP, three minutes is a pretty long time for a Smash match. Does the timer reset when he loses a stock?

On 5/11/2020 at 4:28 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Matthis: the pick to drive even the FE fans themselves into HOES MADness. He's on horseback, and thus almost as fast as Sonic, but his damage is terrible, although he does have a ranged attack in his javelins. For his final smash, he summons an aura, kinda like Luigi's Negative Zone in brawl. All opponents caught in it turn into Lena, and Matthis proceeds to skewer them while proclaiming his desire to see his sister one last time before he dies. The Matthis Syndrome Zone.

Does it work of Eugen?

On 5/11/2020 at 4:52 PM, Pengaius said:

Abel x 4

Sort of like Marth, Girl Marth, Red Marth, and Blue Red Marth?

If I were to just pick four characters I liked, it'd be:

• Volke, who runs around and stabs people. His final smash is Lethality which kills you instantly.
  • Garret, who runs around and axes people. His final smash is Critical Hit which literally chops you in half.
  • Saul, who runs around and heals people. All of his taunts are attempts to get the smex, and he also uses light magic. Smexy light magic.
  • Jodel, an echo fighter of Saul who is lighter and slower, but more powerful. If Jodel taunts near a Saul, he'll scold him.

With honorable mentions to Hugh (literally everything he does eats tome durability), Owain (who has canonically appeared as both a myrmidon and mage, so he would of course use magic and magic swords, even the ones that don't appear in Awakening / Fates), and some manakete.

Th-this is a tragedy! Nobody has said the OG fanservicey dancer with tiny clothes!

To remedy this, I shall do it myself.

Gheb: Most of his attacks are hitting people with an axe; his final smash is basically Snorlax x 5