There will only be 4 Fire Emblem characters in Smash. Which 4 do you pick?

Lucina: I think her moveset is well designed especially compared to Marths.

Roy: its Roy, what else is there to say?

Ike: his moveset is pretty interesting, so I think he's okay.

Byleth: for those people that whine  "FE characters only fight using swords!"

Yes, I've changes my opinions from before, so I thought I'd mention them.

Edited by lightcosmo

Tho for serious picks, I'd go for...
Marth - Representative of the first game and one of the most iconic lords in the franchise.
Hector - As an Elibe rep and as a pure axe-user.
Robin - To represent Tome usage.
Byleth - To have all the basic weapon types.

My choices are easy.

Marth - Face of the series. Pretty much the mascot.

Ike - Still arguably the most popular character in the series and almost as iconic as Marth now. Also, I love him way too much not to keep him. XD

Robin - Unique and represents the game that saved FE from being permanently shelved.

Byleth - Representing the latest and hottest game. I don't think it'd be right to pick Edelgard or any of the other house leaders over Byleth because it just feels weird. Each house leader only represents a portion of the game while Byleth represents all of it. The three house leaders also feel more like they go together, like Zelda: BotW's champions.

I'm gonna make my choices only out of the FE characters already in smash right now.

1. Marth. He's the most iconic in the series, and started it out. He's the most familiar in the Smash scene. His moveset may seem unoriginal, but that's only because there are so many echoes of him in Smash right now. If none of the echoes existed (in other words, if Lucina, Chrom and Roy disappeared), he would be entirely unique, aside from his counter.

2. Robin. They represent magic and weapon durability, as well as Fire Emblem Awakening, which essentially saved the Fire Emblem franchise. They have a unique and interesting playstyle with their magic.

3. Byleth. They represent the weapon triangle and bows, as well as the most popular and recent Fire Emblem game to date. They also have a very unique playstyle, and are generally fun to play.

4. Ike. He's pretty iconic as well, and represents a fan favourite from the franchise. His moveset is pretty unique too, despite only using swords. And honestly, his attack sound effects are just too satisfying to get rid of.

Though, if I were to pick out of all FE characters in general, I would replace one of those (probably Ike) with Anna. Throughout the franchise she's used a variety of different things to fight (Swords in Awakening and 3H, axes in Heroes, lances in Awakening as the merchant class, bows in Fates and 3H, and magic in all three), giving her lots of things to draw from for a unique moveset. On top of that, she's arguably one of the most iconic Fire Emblem characters, seeing as she appears in every single installment in the franchise save for Gaiden and Echoes.

Edited by Evalko

honestly just the main characters/avatars. 

Marth because he's the face of the series basically

Ike because Tellius and because he's radically different than Marth

Byleth to represent the weapon triangle 

and Robin/Corrin for the avatars

Gordon - Specifically pre-recruitment. Doesn't have his bow and has no attacks whatsoever.

Batta the Beast - Fights with an axe, but all other fighters automatically land critical hits on him if their damage is above 40%.

Donnel - YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAW!!!

Gatekeeper - Is immune to being launched, but lacks the ability to move.

1. Can't very well not have Marth.
    If alts a la the Koopalings, Alph, etc. don't count as separate characters, you could also roll any number of Rapier-wielding Lords into Marth that way, to be honest.
  2. Hector as a slow, heavyweight axefighter.
  3. Robin can stay I suppose, since they're already one of the more distinct Fire Emblem reps.
  4. Finally, I'd actually have Linde as a rep for dedicated magic users. The fact that she's from a game that considers all attacking magic to belong to one "Tome" weapon type makes it easier to justify giving her a broad movepool of all sorts of spells. Starlight would make a fun shieldbreaker move, I think.

I might come up with a better lineup than this, but I definitely wouldn't want to exclude Marth, so that really just leaves three slots to play around with, and Fire Emblem actually does have a pretty diverse array of ability sets to consider. Alm and Lyn as drastically-"statistically"-different Echo Fighters of each other, a la Captain Falcon and Ganondorf in Melee, is another rep idea I've been tossing around for a while now, as well as Celica as a Robin Echo with their spell durability gimmick replaced by Pichu-style recoil damage. It's hard for me to narrow it down to just four, haha!

Edited by Topaz Light

Lyn - I think would be very fun to play with, she has her bow and her sword. Her battle animations were so cool in the game.
Marth - I mainly choose him since sm4sh. I like the tip of the edge and his fluid side attacks.
Corrin - Lances are fun and dragons are cool.
Lyon - I don't think they would include him if it's not for a remake promotion but I think being able to summon a phantom would be interesting in smash. Also dark magic is cool but admittedly they've nailed nosferatu with robin anyways still I think he's a cool guy.

• 1 year later...

Lyon, Celica, Hector and Matthis would actually be kind of cool.

Celica racks up percent with her various spells. A weak move like fire only causes 1% of damage, but a more powerful attack like Seraphim (a homing projectile) is significantly more harmful to her. She is restricted to her actual spell list from the game- Fire, Thunder, Seraphim, Recover, Excalibur, and Ragnarok. I saw a cool idea online where she uses the turnwheel as her down special, and I think that's actually pretty slick take on the standard Counter move. Her normal attacks use the Beloved Zofia, and her smash attacks also cause damage to her. Her run attack the fire charge she uses in the exploration sections of dungeons, and her basic A-button combo is the basic sequence of three slashes she uses in the same. For her final smash, a discolored circle surrounds her and there is a sound like shattering glass, similar to the use of the turnwheel or divine pulse. Enemies caught in the circle are warped to that weird mirror dimension which the Triangle Attack and Ragnarok Omega use, the latter being Celica's final smash.

Lyon is a heavy mage who can summon phantoms. His movement is extremely slow and so are his attacks, but they cover a wide area and hit with devastating force. Summons are critical for maneuvering your opponent into favorable positions. Uniquely, all his attacks are magical. He doesn't have a single physical attack in his entire moveset, unless you count the actions of the phantoms. His moveset is restricted to controlling phantoms and using various dark tomes- Nosferatu, Luna, Eclipse, Gleipnir, but also some monster-exclusive spells like Stone and Crimson Eye.

Hector is not merely a heavy mage, but an actual heavy-weight who uses hand axes to compensate for poor mobility. He plays as much like a berserker as an armored unit can, performing massive jumping swings with his Armads and performing super-armored electrical smash attacks. His counter doesn't prevent damage but does prevent knockback, and hits with an extreme multiplier. A normal counter hits with a 1.1-1.2 multiplier. Hector's is more like 1.8.

Matthis was chosen over Anna despite the fact that Anna is more iconic because I figured she'd be more of a trickster and Celica already uses swords and magic. Matthis would be very weird because of his horse, but I think it could be made to work sort of like Bowser Jr.'s clown car. His up special is "Dismount", in which he jumps off of his horse. Even if the horse has already used its Double Jump, Matthis can still use his own, though his speed and power are reduced when off the horse. You can use this move as a ledge-guarding technique and spike someone by dropping the horse on them. He is also the only character on this list I'd consider entirely implausible to show up in a smash game.