Testing the Waters I've Gone off the Deep-end. A Shadow Dragon H5 test-run

18 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

So one strikes Cord, the other strikes and is missed by Bord

Because they look the same, I guess?

18 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

our local Endgame ready healer

Serra's father!

Also, oh zucc, how the heck did I miss chapter 2's update? Apologies.

48 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

0NT6gcJY_o.png

Who the heck is this? I can't get my Archanea characters straight.

49 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

qrtxmWqu_o.png

Help me! I'm one of the bad guys who are trying to murder you!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

But that'll make him relevant. It's a trap by Merlinus.

Oh, no...! He was too brilliant... to die...

Which is kind of where New Mystery shined. Where Shadow Dragon admittedly played it close to the original, New Mystery built on the Super Famicom game it was based off. That said, I think Shadow Dragon's more friendly for challenge runs. Then again, maybe I just love Shadow Dragon because I met my ex while playing this game. I mean literally. As in deciding to sit down and play this game in a super-market literally resulted in said conversation. I might talk more about that if I get to the chapter in question.

That's a pretty cute story.

my PIN is 3672

Ahhhh, interesting. Tell me more. Any bank account numbers you might wanna share?

690mwOY2_o.png4c4Qdz3E_o.pngDgJrbC22_o.png
I like how they happen to know we just arrived here. How?

Rumor has it. Julian just said it, see?

EQ1457jL_o.png4frEFBcn_o.pngkdSgbLYp_o.png
Fun fact. This guy is actually 23. Just holding that cursed axe was enough to leave him like this. Also I love this whole interaction. "EVIL abomination of an axe". "drinks blood and devours flesh (Could the same not be said of all weapons?), "I'd hate to see you come to harm" (said while giving you a cursed weapon). But perhaps my favorite thing about it,  is that there's houses and a village in the bandit filled mountains. The ones people are supposed to be afraid of. What the hell gives? Do the bandits just stay away because there's a mad man handing out cursed axes? I love this so much.

I had never paid it much thought, but yeah, you're completely right. This guy went insane, killed the entire village, and now the brigands leave him alone out of fear. Y'see, his luck is capped, so his chance of backfire is minimal. He's a master of the devil axe.

5rICS33F_o.png
I swear my plan broke the A.I. Because this wasn't in it. This idiot literally just walked up and did nothing. NOTHING. HE DIDN'T ATTACK. THIS IS HARD 5. What the hell? Mind this doesn't change my plan at all. Those fighters will still work around him in the same amount of time. It's just hilarious.

That's weird... the thieves should become hostile as soon as the village is out of their reach (which it is, since Marth just locked it). Maybe Caeda seduced this one too?

HkkCs2C1_o.png
Enemy phase goes as planned. I mean, the thief working up the nerve to fight Caeda was unexpected, but will help later. No one dodged anything, but that's fine. Because I'm including the enemy in that figure

You know, you should probably unequip her so she doesn't murder the thief. Just a thought.

oP6J023T_o.pngF8F1NiLj_o.png55cMSz3i_o.pnghK3nPhWD_o.png
Then the Hunters demonstrate there's discord in the ranks of the Soothsires, as they plainly don't comprehend teamwork. So one strikes Cord, the other strikes and is missed by Bord. Because apparently teaming up on Barst made too much sense. So much for my unlucky streak.

Why does everyone have more luck than me.

YgDhfpGG_o.png
First, I move Caeda so I don't forget her later and have her killed by a fighter.

If you had sent someone with Caeda, you could've held the bottleneck indefinitely by putting them to the sides of the thief. But a temporary delay is good too.

PNFJMojM_o.png
Wrys heals Ogma, and shows us he is our local Endgame ready healer

Gharnef killer right here. Not even joking, with his resistance he can tank the good Pontifex all day.

oHAfBQoI_o.png
Here's Ukyo Tachabana. His inclusion is one of the most mind boggling things about Shadow Dragon. See, the Myrmidon class didn't actually exist back in FE1 or 3. So there used to be a rather forgettable mercenary in this chapter. But in the remake, there was a deal made with SNK to do a crossover with their Samurai Shodown series. Ukyo Tachabana, surely enough seems like a generic edgelord at first glance. Until you get down to the fact he's dying of tuberculosis, and trying to win the hand of his love, a princess who is forbidden to him because he is but a commoner. He also enjoys embroidery, and likes to write Haikus, which alas, almost always do not get translated to english. The sole exception being in his Samurai Shodown IV ending. Stat wise, he's good enough on luck and speed not to worry about crits, and his defense is okay. His strength is lackluster, being the equal of Marth or Caeda. Notably his HP is 19, to reflect the fact the poor guy's got tuberculosis (often censored in the west, he used to cough up blood even on winning a fight in his home series to denote his poor health). Anyway, hopefully he's not gonna die... because the guy does that enough in his endings for Samurai Shodown. It always gets retconned, but he constantly dies from tuberculosis, whether because it's just how he's inevitably gonna die, or because he gives the cure to a woman who is dying from tuberculosis. I'm sorry for rambling on about this guy, but he's kind of neat. Subverts everything about edgy swordsmen. Also I just gave him a steel sword so as to have another option compared to hitting with that fancy killing edge he brought.

I don't even know him. But he's better than the alternative.

Also, 19 HP being due to tuberculosis is all sorts of mordibly hilarious.

Also Caeda gets a generic Caeda level. No strength HP or defense... but speed is good.

Sorry Caeda, I can't give a crap about speed! Come back when you're a little... MMMM stronger!

GHSbMOHu_o.png2LpKxhgj_o.png
We see Ukyo's rather nifty animations. Shame he loses them in favor of generic models if he reclasses.

Meaning you'll reclass him after this chapter so you don't have to edit images all game long. That's okay, I'm happy to be witnessing this at all. These edits are just the right amount of crappy to be perfect. My regards.

oF5P7XDy_o.png8GSyyRTc_o.png
And my ace in the hole. Or at least my joker in every pack. Julian... who can't miss and therefore can't die. That's all but four enemies dead, in 8 turns.

Hoho! Good work, man, excellent. That was magnificent. My highest regards. I would've lost at least 5 units there.

xuiQZFg5_o.png
Julian:Lena! Get back!
Caeda:Stop! He's with us now.
Julian: How can you be sure? He was with them
Lena: Julian, so were you, remember?
Marth: He did help us with that last wave of bandits, and I trust Caeda's instincts.
Julian: I still think you're making a mistake... but I'll let you dig your own graves. Just know, I'm keeping an eye on him.
Ukyo: If it helps you feel better... do that.

I like how Julian's personality did a 180º turn when he caught sight of the swordsman. But that's all right, tends to happen with me too. Normally I'm all for new units, but when it's an edgelord, I put them behind a counter just so I don't have to see them.

the drowsy guy

Fairly certain it's a plain girl. Whoopsie.

bnxL4362_o.png
Castor's face matches his level up. Absolutely pathetic.

Absolute bastard... can't level right, can't lie right, what can this guy do right?

...Oh right. Be a mainstay of my first LP's team and survive the entire game. That's a thing he can do.

n92tyA3z_o.png

This guy. If you had lost Ogma and Jagen, you'd most likely be completely unable to win against him. Henning don't got shit on this bastard.

QVWesojQ_o.png
Catch. Ogma not only dodges... but crits again. Seriously, that's the least effort I've ever put into breaking this guy, and yet it's H5.

So of course, he effortlessly falls. I assure you, if that were me, I'd be there for 100 turns. Damn you all... spare some luck for me...!

*cough* Julian *cough*.

Julian bribed the good guys. That's what Marth meant by "show me you're ready to help people."

Until I work out how many people I've managed to piss off this update, Farewell.

Not me. Anything that involves removing edgelords is good on my book.

12 minutes ago, Benice said:

Going by the fact that he has tuberculosis, according to The Roger anyway, I'd say it's probably that fellow who becomes the Jeigan in the sequel.

Spoiler

The hunchbacks or the giant bats? Either one has a random element to it. The thing that makes the final level of Castlevania harder than the earlier ones is the fact that you can memorize the earlier levels, and react in an optimal way to avoid so much as a single hit, barring bosses who can be cheesed with holy water (which you need to keep by not dying). But the eagles dropping hunchbacks are random, and the giant bat AI is still random, and the hunchbacks are random on hitting the ground. Hence the level can't be learnt. You have to react and hope the RNG doesn't decide to screw you, because those hunchbacks move fast.

I forgot about the bats! I still don't know how to effectively get across them. And by Imps I did mean the hunchbacks on the birds, but those telegraph themselves for 3 seconds, enough to react to them.

I'd take it. Honestly the poor guy got screwed over. I'm of the understanding back in FE1 he could use a silver lance at base to make up for his lackluster bases? But they took that from him in the remake. Mind I could be wrong, so take that with a grain of salt.

Matthis like... bro... why? Poor him... and let me check that. Yeah he has 8 Weapon level and the Silver Lance is 7. That's insane lol though he gets weighed down a bunch by it. They could have atleast given him a B rank in lances or even A so he could something cool.

SYPZhIQp_o.pngQVWesojQ_o.png
Catch. Ogma not only dodges... but crits again. Seriously, that's the least effort I've ever put into breaking this guy, and yet it's H5. What sort of irony is that?

Man that's good! You didn't have to suffer through a million turns.

dRw3hmZN_o.png
Remember this joke where I have the thing I'm gonna show next chapter at the end and say "Not yet"? Well we're doing that again. Because I'm unoriginal.

tbh this doesn't bother me too much, reusing assets is fine because it gives you time for other things.

3 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

At least they don't jaywalk. Or emulate games. Even these guys have standards.

Indeed, the true bane of peace and order in the world are those who emulate games. We must kill every last one of them!

Excuse me while I make Wil puns over on Benice's LP.

Wil they or won't they be puns of good quality? I Wil have to go over to that thread and check them out.

I swear my plan broke the A.I. Because this wasn't in it. This idiot literally just walked up and did nothing. NOTHING. HE DIDN'T ATTACK. THIS IS HARD 5. What the hell? Mind this doesn't change my plan at all. Those fighters will still work around him in the same amount of time. It's just hilarious.

There's always that one AI enemy that does something completely stupid or illogical in every one of my FE playthroughs. Who knows? Maybe he got Bord and gave up? I'll see myself out now.

Here's Ukyo Tachabana. His inclusion is one of the most mind boggling things about Shadow Dragon. See, the Myrmidon class didn't actually exist back in FE1 or 3. So there used to be a rather forgettable mercenary in this chapter. But in the remake, there was a deal made with SNK to do a crossover with their Samurai Shodown series. Ukyo Tachabana, surely enough seems like a generic edgelord at first glance. Until you get down to the fact he's dying of tuberculosis, and trying to win the hand of his love, a princess who is forbidden to him because he is but a commoner. He also enjoys embroidery, and likes to write Haikus, which alas, almost always do not get translated to english. The sole exception being in his Samurai Shodown IV ending. Stat wise, he's good enough on luck and speed not to worry about crits, and his defense is okay. His strength is lackluster, being the equal of Marth or Caeda. Notably his HP is 19, to reflect the fact the poor guy's got tuberculosis (often censored in the west, he used to cough up blood even on winning a fight in his home series to denote his poor health). Anyway, hopefully he's not gonna die... because the guy does that enough in his endings for Samurai Shodown. It always gets retconned, but he constantly dies from tuberculosis, whether because it's just how he's inevitably gonna die, or because he gives the cure to a woman who is dying from tuberculosis. I'm sorry for rambling on about this guy, but he's kind of neat. Subverts everything about edgy swordsmen. Also I just gave him a steel sword so as to have another option compared to hitting with that fancy killing edge he brought.

Not gonna lie, I was kind of in a mental fog when I read this update and seriously thought I missed this guy when I first played SD. Gotta give an A+ for creativity and skilled photoshopping. To be honest, Navarre was pretty useless for me as a unit. When I already had my cavs with great stats along with the Shiida-nator destroying most enemies, I felt little reason to build him up to be better.

Because I'm unoriginal.

You're the original The Roger The Paladin. No one else had bothered to adopt the extra the and wear it with pride. That's...something.

-------------

By the way, seeing your LP has made me want to give SD another go. But I think I'll need to do something to make it more interesting. Being well-acquainted with SD, do you know if it's possible to solo the game playing solely Marth and Shiida or even just Marth? I know most FE games can be soloed with the lord of the game. I didn't know if SD was the same or not. i wouldn't mind a challenge to spice things up a bit.

Wrys heals Ogma, and shows us he is our local Endgame ready healer

Is this what Serra looks like without that hair? (Wow Benice's LP is already crossing over...)

oHAfBQoI_o.png
Here's Ukyo Tachabana. His inclusion is one of the most mind boggling things about Shadow Dragon. See, the Myrmidon class didn't actually exist back in FE1 or 3. So there used to be a rather forgettable mercenary in this chapter. But in the remake, there was a deal made with SNK to do a crossover with their Samurai Shodown series.

Not a fan of Navarre (or heaven forbid Nabarl) I take it. Side note I quickly googled Ukyo before I read far enough to see you covered the basics of his background. I was going to ask if you actually modded his image and name into the rom, but

GHSbMOHu_o.png2LpKxhgj_o.png
We see Ukyo's rather nifty animations. Shame he loses them in favor of generic models if he reclasses. I really would've liked to show off his crit and dodge animations, but luck didn't go my way. That said, look at his regular attack. It's pretty good as is.

changing up the animations is way too much work for this joke. Hopefully all the image altering doesn't take too long.

Julian:Lena! Get back!
Caeda:Stop! He's with us now.
Julian: How can you be sure? He was with them
Lena: Julian, so were you, remember?
Marth: He did help us with that last wave of bandits, and I trust Caeda's instincts.
Julian: I still think you're making a mistake... but I'll let you dig your own graves. Just know, I'm keeping an eye on him.
Ukyo: If it helps you feel better... do that.

It would be legitimately cool is Shadow Dragon actually had multiple people interact in map conversations like this...

bnxL4362_o.png

Pollux is ashamed.

Only three of my units could go one round of combat with him and live (Ogma, Ukyo and Caeda if fully healed just). Everyone else would die. I was going to break his handaxe and use the fort to heal, but I've got another plan. I'm gonna use that killing edge to try and get a crit on enemy phase. The plan from there is to bring Ogma back for healing, trade it to Ukyo by chain (hence Lena, Marth and Ukyo's positions), and then have him do the same. From there, I'll have Ogma healed enough to do it again. Either I waste a bunch of killing edge uses, or I achieve my goal and take him down in significantly less than 100 turns. And breaking a hand axe when he can barely hit Ogma or Ukyo is not on my list of priorities.

Good luck with the whole double crit plan. Taking down Hyman always takes forev-

SYPZhIQp_o.pngQVWesojQ_o.png
Catch. Ogma not only dodges... but crits again. Seriously, that's the least effort I've ever put into breaking this guy, and yet it's H5. What sort of irony is that?

Lucky son of a... that was the minimum number of uses too wasn't it.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
typo

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

By the way, seeing your LP has made me want to give SD another go. But I think I'll need to do something to make it more interesting. Being well-acquainted with SD, do you know if it's possible to solo the game playing solely Marth and Shiida or even just Marth? I know most FE games can be soloed with the lord of the game. I didn't know if SD was the same or not. i wouldn't mind a challenge to spice things up a bit.

If I may throw in my two cents; Caeda is the best unit in the game, so I think it would definitely be possible, at least on the lower difficulties. A Marth solo would be more complicated, but probably doable, again, on the lower difficulties. The good thing about FE11 is that difficulty is so customizable.

Though, if you're going to do a SD challenge run, you should go all nine yards and do something hilarious like fighter Wrys. Reclassing in general would allow for some funny things. Try it out!

5 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Is this what Serra looks like without that hair? (Wow Benice's LP is already crossing over...)

I swear, half of the ongoing LPs here on Serenes are filled with references and injokes. Could call it the Screenshot Cinematic Universe.

16 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

For originality's sake, I'm using that same gag to open the LP as last time as well as reusing the image this time. This'll never get old.

I think it ties the parts together nicely, so there!

I like how lame a pun that name is. I mean, it's clearly derived from Soothsayer, but playing on the fact they are the rulers (sires) of the Samsooth mountains. Should have just called themselves the ghouls. I mean, it's at least threatening. And less lame. Excuse me while I make Wil puns over on Benice's LP.

Hypocritical humor for the win?

8OUmJf6T_o.png

Silly Julian, thieves can't steal things in Shadow Dragon.

because I'm saving the Devil Axe for when I'm cornered and someone's going to die.

don'tturnintoMangsdon'tturnintoMangsdon'tturnintoMangs...

lmao

In all seriousness, this character actually sounds really interesting from this summary.
Also fun fact, considering you would assume a person can't fight with a grave sickness like tuberculosis, but there was actually a samurai in real life who reportedly did, named Okita Souji.

Darros and Bord still can't hit the broad side of a barn.

What is this, FE6?

Apply cold water to burnt area.

Now I know it's customary to make a crude joke about this guy's name. But if you expect something so lowbrow from me, you must be High Man.

And later:

Seriously, that's the least effort I've ever put into breaking this guy

Well, that sure didn't last long... XD

Congratulations on brea-- er, beating him! Even on a lower difficulty, that boss is quite headache-inducing due to his high stats.

Until I work out how many people I've managed to piss off this update, Farewell.

I was on the edge of my seat this time, as this Chapter is deceptively troublesome even on some lower difficulty settings.
Looking forward to next time!

Edited by DragonFlames

Part 4: Heart attacks

Replies:

Spoiler
On 5/22/2020 at 2:24 AM, Benice said:

Because they look the same, I guess?
Honestly the only thing that saved Bord was the fact that the guy who attacked Cord went first. Because only one of them could hit Cord due to Barst's position. If they both went for Barst or Bord... I'd have lost someone.

Serra's father!
Wait a minute, Serra's a Goddess in your fanfic... does that mean....

Also, oh zucc, how the heck did I miss chapter 2's update? Apologies.
No apology necessary. Almost everyone missed that update... the one where I did something inept. Because that'll never happen again.

To be fair... Ukyo even got left out of New Mystery. Let alone Heroes, Cipher etc. He can't even get into a CYL as a write in because everyone keeps forgetting he exists.

Help me! I'm one of the bad guys who are trying to murder you!
*Stop trying to kill me, I'm one of the bad guys who are trying to murder you.
Let's not forget it was heavily implied Marth was swinging a weapon at him.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:37 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, no...! He was too brilliant... to die...
Merlinus understood, much like Morshu, to become a meme is to become immortal. In reality, his very rants about traps were the greatest trap of all, and we all fell for it.

That's a pretty cute story.
Would've liked it better if there weren't the whole break up bit after.

Ahhhh, interesting. Tell me more. Any bank account numbers you might wanna share?
I think someone already worked that out.

Rumor has it. Julian just said it, see?
The self-sourced rumor. Reminds me of a clickbait article that sourced wikipedia for a dubious claim... and then the wikipedia page sourced the article. Ergo the only evidence was the say so of a guy who wrote clickbait for a living.

I had never paid it much thought, but yeah, you're completely right. This guy went insane, killed the entire village, and now the brigands leave him alone out of fear. Y'see, his luck is capped, so his chance of backfire is minimal. He's a master of the devil axe.
I was more thinking he's a nut who hands out cursed axes he makes to anyone he meets. Bandits stay away because they keep dying when they use them.

That's weird... the thieves should become hostile as soon as the village is out of their reach (which it is, since Marth just locked it). Maybe Caeda seduced this one too?
I really need to write that thread where I ask how the hell that happened. Because it's still bothering me.

You know, you should probably unequip her so she doesn't murder the thief. Just a thought.
Maybe I should have (even if the chance of a crit screwing everything was low)... but then there would have been one more thief later and I'd have run out of units... so I'm glad I didn't.

Why does everyone have more luck than me.
Ironic after your last update. How many captures was that? In one chapter of Berwick?

If you had sent someone with Caeda, you could've held the bottleneck indefinitely by putting them to the sides of the thief. But a temporary delay is good too.
Plus then I could have kept my other units closer.. not aggro'd the hunters... had a healer there... used Caeda's Javelin to try to pick off the unit behind the thief that I couldn't recruit. The only catch is it'd have to have been Ogma... no one else would avoid being doubled by that thief.

Gharnef killer right here. Not even joking, with his resistance he can tank the good Pontifex all day.

He's got a ways to go on this difficulty... another 21 res and a pure water should do it. Then again.. promotion will help.

I don't even know him. But he's better than the alternative.

Also, 19 HP being due to tuberculosis is all sorts of mordibly hilarious.
Yeah... I couldn't resist the joke.

Sorry Caeda, I can't give a crap about speed! Come back when you're a little... MMMM stronger!
This meme's just gonna continue for a while.

Meaning you'll reclass him after this chapter so you don't have to edit images all game long. That's okay, I'm happy to be witnessing this at all. These edits are just the right amount of crappy to be perfect. My regards.
Edits? What are you talking about? This is a completely legitimate character.

Hoho! Good work, man, excellent. That was magnificent. My highest regards. I would've lost at least 5 units there.
Things really, really just fell into place there.

I like how Julian's personality did a 180º turn when he caught sight of the swordsman. But that's all right, tends to happen with me too. Normally I'm all for new units, but when it's an edgelord, I put them behind a counter just so I don't have to see them.
Well... in this case he did literally think that Ukyo was out to kill him just before this (which he was from a gameplay perspective). I figure in the heat of battle, with no chance to explain, him failing to notice the change of sides, or trust it, is merely a sane level of caution. I also figure Marth and Lena are more trusting of human nature than someone who spent so long among the worst examples of it as a Soothsire.

Fairly certain it's a plain girl. Whoopsie.
Reverse Lucius. Keeps getting mistaken for a teenage anime guy.

Absolute bastard... can't level right, can't lie right, what can this guy do right?
Hell I can't even tell my Castor Oyl story about him because I told it elsewhere.

...Oh right. Be a mainstay of my first LP's team and survive the entire game. That's a thing he can do.
I figure even the enemies felt sorry for him. That said... he is pretty useful in that one Akaenia saga chapter. Mostly because only ranged attacker.

This guy. If you had lost Ogma and Jagen, you'd most likely be completely unable to win against him. Henning don't got shit on this bastard.
I've said it elsewhere, but I prepared a rant and song for that battle. Then it fizzled.

So of course, he effortlessly falls. I assure you, if that were me, I'd be there for 100 turns. Damn you all... spare some luck for me...!
I saw your last update. I'm gonna mention that again.

Julian bribed the good guys. That's what Marth meant by "show me you're ready to help people."
So that's where the extra funds Malledus gave us REALLY came from.

Not me. Anything that involves removing edgelords is good on my book.
Well... I knew you'd be on board.

Going by the fact that he has tuberculosis, according to The Roger anyway, I'd say it's probably that fellow who becomes the Jeigan in the sequel.
Hah. No. He's totally gone back to Japan and died by the sequel. Set a tradition for swordsmen who are never seen again after the game and all. Difference is, they got lazy on reasons later.

On 5/22/2020 at 3:33 AM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

I forgot about the bats! I still don't know how to effectively get across them. And by Imps I did mean the hunchbacks on the birds, but those telegraph themselves for 3 seconds, enough to react to them.
Pretty sure the easiest way to deal with the bats is to have them onscreen for the minimum amount of time possible. Mind.. that's easier said than done.

Matthis like... bro... why? Poor him... and let me check that. Yeah he has 8 Weapon level and the Silver Lance is 7. That's insane lol though he gets weighed down a bunch by it. They could have atleast given him a B rank in lances or even A so he could something cool.

Matthis luck base is reflective of the fact he is constantly being screwed over by the developers. It's not even RNG at this point.

Man that's good! You didn't have to suffer through a million turns.

The best outcome possible on that fight. Ironically, I've had more trouble with it on Normal. Which is not what I expected.

tbh this doesn't bother me too much, reusing assets is fine because it gives you time for other things.
And stupid jokes mostly.

On 5/22/2020 at 5:26 AM, twilitfalchion said:

Indeed, the true bane of peace and order in the world are those who emulate games. We must kill every last one of them!
Especially the ones that are emulating games they have physical copies of. Weirdoes.

Wil they or won't they be puns of good quality? I Wil have to go over to that thread and check them out.
Only time Wil tell.

There's always that one AI enemy that does something completely stupid or illogical in every one of my FE playthroughs. Who knows? Maybe he got Bord and gave up? I'll see myself out now.
Things like this remind me that the AI is behind every Green Unit as well.

Not gonna lie, I was kind of in a mental fog when I read this update and seriously thought I missed this guy when I first played SD. Gotta give an A+ for creativity and skilled photoshopping. To be honest, Navarre was pretty useless for me as a unit. When I already had my cavs with great stats along with the Shiida-nator destroying most enemies, I felt little reason to build him up to be better.
I feel that I need any (killing) edge I can get in this one. I mean it's H5.

You're the original The Roger The Paladin. No one else had bothered to adopt the extra the and wear it with pride. That's...something.
On the contrary, that's a Tear Ring Saga reference plain and simple.
LVPZCYv.png

-------------

I did have an answer typed up for this... but I lost my prepared replies... and plus we've seen that attempt at this point.

On 5/22/2020 at 5:30 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

The SCU intensifies.

Not a fan of Navarre (or heaven forbid Nabarl) I take it. Side note I quickly googled Ukyo before I read far enough to see you covered the basics of his background. I was going to ask if you actually modded his image and name into the rom, but
I honestly had the idea when I accidentally referred to Jagen as Marcus in part 1. Then I decided the natural progression was to pretend another character was someone from a totally different series. With Navarre's ending... I figured he'd be a good candidate. That said... Ruben hates Navarre (and just edgelords). I'm somewhat indifferent.

changing up the animations is way too much work for this joke. Hopefully all the image altering doesn't take too long.

Well, I had written in a handy work-around to that.

It would be legitimately cool is Shadow Dragon actually had multiple people interact in map conversations like this...

A pipe dream I've had for years for the series. So I decided to implement it in the one way I could. Fanfiction. And what better place for pseudo map interactions than a game lacking in support conversations?

Pollux is ashamed.

There's going to be a "Pollux is ashamed counter" now.

Good luck with the whole double crit plan. Taking down Hyman always takes forev-

Yeah. I planned to post a video to go with that when I inevitably failed.

Spoiler

Lucky son of a... that was the minimum number of uses too wasn't it.
Yep. Hell I didn't even take a hit from the guy.

On 5/22/2020 at 5:37 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

If I may throw in my two cents; Caeda is the best unit in the game, so I think it would definitely be possible, at least on the lower difficulties. A Marth solo would be more complicated, but probably doable, again, on the lower difficulties. The good thing about FE11 is that difficulty is so customizable.

Though, if you're going to do a SD challenge run, you should go all nine yards and do something hilarious like fighter Wrys. Reclassing in general would allow for some funny things. Try it out!
Can Wrys even be a fighter in SD? I'm pretty sure Fighter and Curate aren't in the same line.

I swear, half of the ongoing LPs here on Serenes are filled with references and injokes. Could call it the Screenshot Cinematic Universe.
I love how this is a thing.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:19 PM, DragonFlames said:

I think it ties the parts together nicely, so there!
Might be difficult, as of now I'm trying out splitting chapters to try and get these out faster.

Hypocritical humor for the win?
It's no secret I love hypocritical humor. I mean, "look at the ban the user above you" thread.

Silly Julian, thieves can't steal things in Shadow Dragon.
Even if they could, he'd get destroyed enemy phase.

don'tturnintoMangsdon'tturnintoMangsdon'tturnintoMangs...
Well I got two crits in a row. That's kind of part of Mangs you'd want to emulate.

lmao

In all seriousness, this character actually sounds really interesting from this summary.
Also fun fact, considering you would assume a person can't fight with a grave sickness like tuberculosis, but there was actually a samurai in real life who reportedly did, named Okita Souji.

Funny enough, Ukyo drew inspiration from a real samurai himself. Mind it was another samurai, and one who didn't have tuberculosis. (The same guy inspired Sephiroth if I'm not mistaken, or at least his rivalry with Cloud and oversized sword). Sasaki Kojiro to be specific.

What is this, FE6?
Feels like it. Axes missing. Player phase heavy gameplay.

Apply cold water to burnt area.
What? His face? Poor Castor. First he gets burned, now he gets drowned.

And later:

Well, that sure didn't last long... XD
That thing I said about hypocritical humor.

Congratulations on brea-- er, beating him! Even on a lower difficulty, that boss is quite headache-inducing due to his high stats.
Seriously I've never seen him fall so easily. Hyman was a bit of a pussy apparently.

I was on the edge of my seat this time, as this Chapter is deceptively troublesome even on some lower difficulty settings.
Looking forward to next time!
Totally expected it to be where I screwed everything up. Was pleasantly surprised.

On 5/22/2020 at 8:55 PM, Pengaius said:

Well at least I dont have to pun Navarre anymore (unless he shows up as an enemy later on)
I knew there was a catch to this.

Why is my bank account empty all of a sudden?

Update:

Spoiler

BKRpRHcx_o.png
You know the drill by now. Image of chapter number.
cVUixXij_o.pngx1XlI5H9_o.pngIF8PinqD_o.pngDrQG5jBR_o.pngRZ3I47DV_o.pngrF3GEHLf_o.png
This chapter starts.. introducing Saint Rubenio's arch-nemesis. Horsemen. Indeed a terrible sound.
C9pe6SxN_o.png2zkQI24i_o.pngc66yNO5L_o.pngc9dWau3K_o.pnga0zPuux5_o.pngugzA8iLo_o.png
Why exactly weren't we doing this before? Damn it Malledus. This is what you're paid for. Apparently. I don't know... is Marth paying you?
R8FoYOS5_o.pngcFBJtfDk_o.pngTla9RrBs_o.pngsMouAMqR_o.png
I do some inventory re-arrangement and reclassing. The highlights of which are here. Draug becomes a hunter, as per the wishes he expressed at the end of chapter 1... and if it weren't for that bow rank he'd be a better hunter than Castor already. Pollux is disappointed. Jagen gets some extra defense and strength after wrangling a wyvern. Barst, as per his ending, becomes a pirate. I mean it's canon right? Ukyo was having some trouble keeping up with the army due to his tuberculosis, so he borrowed Jagen's horse. He's not used to fighting from horseback, so it's cost him some speed and skill.. but he can wear some armor. I also like how his hair looks totally wrong in his cavalier model. What's up with that?
nGIRu3ig_o.pngocYZBYZy_o.pngxU7VTk9e_o.pngdDkQJ0zL_o.png
Anyway, I purchase an iron lance for Ukyo to learn with, and a couple heal staves so Wrys and Lena can both be active and earning WEXP/XP. I also forge Bradamante (see if anyone gets this reference. And no Ruben, it's not Roundabout). Here's my formation. Note I've brought Bord because I figure he might have a low chance of being useful in some strange circumstance because he can use a hammer and a handaxe... unlike Darros who can just use a handaxe and Cord who can do neither.
M8R7Egqt_o.pngQ2tN1SiL_o.pngKiO4HOeB_o.png
You're locked to a gate with a one-range weapon. You're the Least threatening boss in the game, because at least Gazzak wasn't liable to get one-shot by Caeda's new toy. Not even forgetting I've got an archer and two hunters now... and should have a mage by chapter's end.
gZhS986u_o.pngPSdmbsmt_o.pngPwRW2RGE_o.png71bzUHMt_o.png
Castor reminds me that Draug's already equal or better in any way that matters save weapon rank. Pollux is disappointed counter three. Ukyo fortunately hits the thief so hard the game glitches his name.
0ryO3Zj4_o.pngHWD6KElN_o.pngDDp9qkAS_o.png
Anyway, Caeda starts off to head off the Cavalry with her new weapon and a vulnerary, and my non archers head up to stop the hunter and his gang of fighters (who are fortunately weaker than the last chapter's one's for some reason) from launching a pincer movement with the cavalry and boxing us in. Jagen and Ogma are both carefully positioned outside of arrow range to avoid taking two hits.
7shebTcE_o.pngO1KrEMqJ_o.png
The old silver lance trick once again serves me well, and Ogma can double these guys with his iron sword... which effectively makes it better than if he'd went for his steel sword in every single way.
C04iH7xm_o.pngE7O8RbSx_o.pngDJE7QpQW_o.pngFjJ62TQs_o.png

Ogma uses the steel sword this time, because it turns out it's exact damage to finish off the fighter he started without risk. Jagen backs off a space and uses a javelin to... well... Jagen the other fighter for Marth. I send out Cain and Abel to block off the archer from Jagen (and by extension Wrys who will be healing Ogma), and then Barst... well that was supposed to be a "worth a shot" chip to make it easier to finish off the fighters and hunter next turn. Instead he crit the guy... and one-shot him. Which is honestly the best result.OqMf7jZn_o.pngGV8Cnb0V_o.png
Wrys heals Ogma like planned. Caeda equips her weapon and puts herself in the range of one, and only one cavalier. As one hit's all she can take. Also Bord moves west to the guys I've left over there. Not that I screencapped that because it seemed trivial at the time.
1gsNMR70_o.pngbIZASLbm_o.pngr9GevWzY_o.pngUX4IUAoV_o.pnglyolnTaL_o.png
Here we see Bradamante in action for the first time. Cain is harmed by a sp00ky axe-fighter. But of course, Cain isn't afraid of a mere Jeff the Killer tier creepypasta (seriously, how did that one even get popular? The image that's how). This ain't Lott.exe after all. Also Ogma takes an arrow, which is fine. I just healed him. Oh, and I accidentally aggroed the hunter near the lake's western shore apparently. Oops.
uAaOhYYf_o.pngBbQZ9d89_o.png
Barst tries to make lightning strike again, but only succeeds in doing enough damage to allow Cain a free and safe kill.
MI0G4UJO_o.pngcEB8dunE_o.pnghARJ8aEz_o.png
Jagen and Abel are Abel to Jagen the Hunter for Marth to hunt...er.
v6zmkSpr_o.pngPp6M0qfb_o.png
Caeda moves to the end of the cav range and uses a vulnerary... so we can repeat last turn's strategy of instantly deleting a cavalier in enemy phase. Ogma moves just out of enemy hunter range (while Draug offscreen sets up in it) and Wrys heals. Yeah, aggroing that hunter was a bad mistake. Caeda needs the space to run for my plan to work... so we have to take him out pronto.
4LcgpqfF_o.pnglKfFn356_o.pnghiIEjEnK_o.png
Draug trades shots with the enemy hunter, and Caeda Bradamante's another Cavalier. Excellent. We're down two of the five... and one's of the leftover ones is Matthis.
hokKv6AC_o.pngvB9ydDzB_o.pngX4nG4dZo_o.pngKGTSPU0O_o.png
Now... here's the game. Spot the mistake.
I desperately try to take down the hunter with Ogma, have Ukyo finish the job when that fails, position Caeda so she'll be attacked by one, and only one Cavalier but not Matthis, and seeing as the read area doesn't have the thief... have Bord strike with a "worth a shot" hand axe. Which actually hits at... 39%. Go figure. He was useful. Didn't see that coming.
JtXZdB3S_o.png
First... I literally forgot I'd only turned on enemy range for the furthest cav back to work out safe distances. Major screw-up. Bord gets attacked, but thanks to it being armorslayer guy he survives.
PTbvWoUT_o.pngtzedHgtl_o.png
Oh yeah. Matthis heads for Ogma as planned so he didn't attack Caeda. Remember what I had Ogma equipped with? I did the moment this started. Oh boy did I. I also remembered that Ogma doubles Matthis. Oh boy. I did a real dumb here. Results? I would do a cliff-hanger... but I realized we're not far enough for that. So spoiler segment wherein a cavalier dies.

Spoiler

e5envd4c_o.pngQ9BLBlln_o.png
I got lucky. Lost two killing edge uses... and had two heart attacks in the space of a minute, but Ogma... thankfully decided not to crit, and thankfully is just short of killing him (seriously 2 points of strength and it'd be a different story. I'll never bitch about Ogma's damage output again). Also Caeda turns an unlucky schmuck into a smear.

vKPuaIng_o.png
Anyway, Caeda gets another Caeda level. Seriously, she'll cap speed before she hits level 10 at this rate.
Ajs64suz_o.pngHjaoz0dh_o.png
Ukyo does in the thief and gets this level. Which will do, as the class change saw to his defense and strength. This also means the villages are safe.
cWBtbxqe_o.pngTrrlUnbA_o.pngGwwb6G6z_o.pngZadcWTBo_o.png
OKbcd4o7_o.pngO2h3uPZB_o.pngsFhNFhDR_o.pngO8Np1qj2_o.png
Anyway, we get a reunion I expected not to happen for a moment too long... while armorslayer guy just watches. If this keeps up I'll forget he's there and lose Matthis anyway.
tXXv5HcA_o.pngrtyK2rrG_o.pngrarpkcIg_o.pngLv62HBIq_o.pngwqv4Gpgy_o.pngKt2aIr0o_o.pngKjiVIJEk_o.pngOMvwsEzn_o.png
I like how it seems Matthis has picked up on Julian, despite his absence. Maybe Lena's always had a thing for criminals? Anyway, I have Lena heal Matthis for the exp, I mean I'll take any I can get for the healers. Also... look at that luck stat. I beg to differ. There's a 48% chance he should be dead, yet he lives.
VmC72SG2_o.pngFuyN9A1M_o.png1V3ks7MN_o.pngxRzppo31_o.png
GSJtZg7I_o.pngdRB3fJom_o.png
Deciding to conserve Bradamante, I have my ranged units finish off armorslayer guy. I mean, the plan was to have someone (Cain?) finish him at close range in the event he didn't fall, so he was doomed even if there were a miss or two. Anyway, in 5 turns we've taken out thirteen foes (well twelve, and converted one into a friend). Not bad considering I nearly screwed everything up. All because of that one hunter.
fgqFT2dT_o.png1yLJmv0A_o.pngQNNUHXfv_o.png
We start healing people, as I figure with newfound access to heal staves in the stores I may as well get my healers some levels (and weapon levels). Wrys gets D rank in staves and this level, and Lena gets a much less useful level.
TT3mcTBu_o.png51qoeSpS_o.pngXKxCUE0c_o.pngMWAjiWiO_o.png
He's afraid of effective damage. Mind, with Marth's current strength stat.... oh right this is a base stat Matthis. Never mind.
gfXm3UkC_o.pngpJNGUlIO_o.pngE6DfDyVj_o.pngreuwNZ6U_o.png
IxXOaFFUP_o.pngLBSTEIdU_o.png8hdGrbUD_o.pngSI9VVAoQ_o.png
I like how Marth's got no concept of the notion of even doing wrong by the citizenry. I guess he really is a naive idealistic child. Mind, that's better than being Michalis. Which reminds me, this conversation is why I prefer Michalis dying in Mystery of the Emblem as opposed to, you know, living in New Mystery. He's kind of a bastard.
8mEtFgqb_o.png3bCftOIn_o.pngoAwk2LYW_o.png
Anyway... this has been a very Matthis centric episode... so I think I might end it there.
See I'm going to experiment with splitting the chapters so I can try and get updates done faster. But first one last thing.
Ukyo: That staff.... I've not seen it's like before.
Lena: What do you mean by that?
Ukyo: You merely gestured in the direction of that man... and his wound closed and vanished, as if it had never been.
Lena: Don't they have staves where you come from?
Ukyo: The staves of my homeland are unlike the one you use. A staff at home is used as a weapon or an aid in walking for the infirm. Not to cure the body. To cure the body... if only...
Lena: ... If only what? I'd rather you didn''t leave me with more questions than answers.
Ukyo: My body has been ravaged by disease. I am doomed for an early grave. I suspect your staff may help me.
Lena: I'm afraid that's not how staves work. A staff can only quicken one's healing. If your disease is truly so dire, there's nothing I can do.
Ukyo: I beseech you, just try. I can live with failure. I can't live with not knowing if I so callously discarded my one hope of restitution.
Lena: That I shall. But I can't promise anything will happen.
F167TwVD_o.png
To Be Continued

Deaths:
My credibility.
Crit Counter:
Barst: 1
Caeda:3
Draug:1
MarcusJagen:1
Marth:1
Ogma:3
Generic enemy:1

17 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

It wasn't me! It was...Uh...Pengaius!

25 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Wait a minute, Serra's a Goddess in your fanfic... does that mean....

We already knew that Wrys was a god.

26 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

the one where I did something inept

I must go read it now!

27 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

This meme's just gonna continue for a while.

36 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Can Wrys even be a fighter in SD? I'm pretty sure Fighter and Curate aren't in the same line.

GASP! NO WONDER IT DIDN'T GET RELEASED IN NORTH AMERICA!

38 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Ukyo: That staff.... I've not seen it's like before.
Lena: What do you mean by that?
Ukyo: You merely gestured in the direction of that man... and his wound closed and vanished, as if it had never been.
Lena: Don't they have staves where you come from?
Ukyo: The staves of my homeland are unlike the one you use. A staff at home is used as a weapon or an aid in walking for the infirm. Not to cure the body. To cure the body... if only...
Lena: ... If only what? I'd rather you didn''t leave me with more questions than answers.
Ukyo: My body has been ravaged by disease. I am doomed for an early grave. I suspect your staff may help me.
Lena: I'm afraid that's not how staves work. A staff can only quicken one's healing. If your disease is truly so dire, there's nothing I can do.
Ukyo: I beseech you, just try. I can live with failure. I can't live with not knowing if I so callously discarded my one hope of restitution.
Lena: That I shall. But I can't promise anything will happen.

Golly!

Wait...Is this an ironman?

I saw your last update. I'm gonna mention that again.

I'd still argue it's proof of my bad luck. My luck is so terrible that when I try to hold a pity party about it, it turns around just so I won't even get to have that.

Matthis luck base is reflective of the fact he is constantly being screwed over by the developers. It's not even RNG at this point.

Dissing my boy Matthis is not allowed. He can be a God, provided you believe in him. I believe. Do you?

This chapter starts.. introducing Saint Rubenio's arch-nemesis. Horsemen. Indeed a terrible sound.

Damn them...! Leave them alone for one second, and they'll take your villages. Kill every last one of them!

That is just a common glitch, nothing to be worried about. In fact, I'll fix it for you. All I need is the deed of your house.

Why exactly weren't we doing this before? Damn it Malledus. This is what you're paid for. Apparently. I don't know... is Marth paying you?

Malledus is kind of a non-character, to be honest. Nobody knows where he came from, who his parents are, how he entered the service of Altea, how he learned to be a tactician, what he does after the wars (other than the fact that he's ill in book 2 and is unceremoniously replaced by Jagen)...

But at least he gets more in this game than he does in the rest. At least here he has the prologue to give some context to his presence. In FE1 and 3 he just... sort of pops into existence in chapter 3. I don't think he's even introduced by name.

Cain isn't afraid of a mere Jeff the Killer tier creepypasta (seriously, how did that one even get popular? The image that's how). This ain't Lott.exe after all.

I can totally understand the popularity of all those lame creepypastas because I was the target audience once. No kidding, I once found Jeff to be scary. In my defense, I was 12 years old. Back then I found things like Creepypasta Land scary and awesome.

I still find Creepypasta Land to be scary and awesome, though. Just not in the way the creator intended. If you have never seen that game, do yourself a favor and watch a playthrough. It's absolutely hysterical.

PTbvWoUT_o.pngtzedHgtl_o.png
Oh yeah. Matthis heads for Ogma as planned so he didn't attack Caeda. Remember what I had Ogma equipped with? I did the moment this started. Oh boy did I. I also remembered that Ogma doubles Matthis. Oh boy. I did a real dumb here. Results? I would do a cliff-hanger... but I realized we're not far enough for that. So spoiler segment wherein a cavalier dies.

Everyone: meh, it's just Matthis, who cares.

Me:

Pkepclok o

Also me: This meme format is garbage.

e5envd4c_o.pngQ9BLBlln_o.png
I got lucky.

Yes you did, The Roger, my friend. Yes you did.

...actually, no. It couldn't have been any other way. Matthis is, after all, the greatest of warriors. Now you must use him. Dew it.

Maybe Lena's always had a thing for criminals?

Wouldn't surprise me, given her first instinct upon being awakened from evil possession while standing next to the Shadow Dragon was to aggressively flirt with Julian. Seriously, that moment will never cease to amaze me.

F167TwVD_o.png
To Be Continued

Matthis nearly dies

Let's cliffhanger Ukyo getting healed for 1 HP! What could possibly go wrong with this?!

I expect time paradoxes. Any less will disappoint me. Endeavor not to disappoint me, Paladin.

22 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yes... Pengaius...

22 minutes ago, Benice said:

This guy was the "We have X at home" meme decades before it existed. Morshu with 200% more creepiness and none of the charm. What monster is he even talking about? Gorreas? Gonorrheas? Who does he think Zelda is, a gynecologist?

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What monster is he even talking about? Gorreas? Gonorrheas?

According to the zelda wiki, a Goriya. It's kinda like that creepy cutscene from Faces of Evil where the enemy says "tastes like a daira!"

Spoiler

Pretty sure the easiest way to deal with the bats is to have them onscreen for the minimum amount of time possible. Mind.. that's easier said than done.

Oh what I mean is that the hunchbacks aren't released until a bit after the birds show on screen, which is plenty of enough time to defeat them, with a long whip of course but if you don't have a long whip by then then you're effectively screwed.

Cain isn't afraid of a mere Jeff the Killer tier creepypasta (seriously, how did that one even get popular? The image that's how). This ain't Lott.exe after all.

I remember back in the day when it was considered among the great creepypastas that stood alongside Slenderman for example, but now any good memory of it is pure nostalgia.
Also on the point of Lott.exe, the Sonic.exe game was named that because it was supposed to make it sound like a simple computer file, but then everyone overused it thinking it made their game scary because 10 yr olds thought the X was evil or sth.

If you keep dong this, I will be unAbel to read your LP because it gets confusing.

2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Hjaoz0dh_o.png
Ukyo does in the thief and gets this level. Which will do, as the class change saw to his defense and strength. This also means the villages are safe.

But isn't Navarre's speed as a cavalier 2? How did he get to 7 in 3 levels?

5 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Note I've brought Bord because I figure he might have a low chance of being useful in some strange circumstance because he can use a hammer and a handaxe...

If you don't keep him occupied, he might get Bord and join the enemy.

Pollux is disappointed counter three.

He's always been annoyed by his twin outshining him.

Ukyo fortunately hits the thief so hard the game glitches his name.

tenor.gif?itemid=4301345

Caeda moves to the end of the cav range and uses a vulnerary... so we can repeat last turn's strategy of instantly deleting a cavalier in enemy phase. Ogma moves just out of enemy hunter range (while Draug offscreen sets up in it) and Wrys heals. Yeah, aggroing that hunter was a bad mistake. Caeda needs the space to run for my plan to work... so we have to take him out pronto.

It's situations like these that, if it was me playing, I would inevitably lose a unit (or three) because even with a high hit rate my units would miss anyway.

have Bord strike with a "worth a shot" hand axe. Which actually hits at... 39%

Good thing this wasn't FE6. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with ranged weapons when I ran through the first few chapters of FE6.

Anyway, we get a reunion I expected not to happen for a moment too long... while armorslayer guy just watches.

That's nice. Even enemy fighters have an appreciation for family reunions. Then they'll quickly cut you down after the moment is over. Hey, a job's a job.

E6DfDyVj_o.png

This is the face of an honest man. A face that looks like it's from a cardboard cutout, but still an honest face.

It's not often that a Jagen unit will last you until late game and still be really effective, but Marcus was great for me up until the very end of FE7. Although Titania is my favorite Jagen, both character-wise and gameplay-wise.

------------

Especially the ones that are emulating games they have physical copies of. Weirdoes.

Of course, why would anyone ever do that? Certainly not me out of convenience.

and plus we've seen that attempt at this point.

The attempt that never met its conclusion sadly. Fifty tries later, I got a few swipes in on Medeus with the bargain bin Falchion and Marth got crushed like the wilted leaf he is in SD.

"Forgive me, my friends."

No Marth, forgive me for failing both you and Archanea with my feeble FE skills.

Edited by twilitfalchion

7 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

There's going to be a "Pollux is ashamed counter" now.

I am amused.

I also forge Bradamante (see if anyone gets this reference.)

Well you got me to look it up, and that is an interesting reference. Clearly you meant to evoke her magic lance that can unhorse her foes, but her marrying Rogero to found the house of Este makes for some interesting implications. Are we about to see the rise of Est in this playthrough? I sure hope so, for Estus is bestus!

Ukyo was having some trouble keeping up with the army due to his tuberculosis, so he borrowed Jagen's horse. He's not used to fighting from horseback, so it's cost him some speed and skill.. but he can wear some armor. I also like how his hair looks totally wrong in his cavalier model. What's up with that?

I would be rather amused if this is a excuse to make him replace the paladin Jagen of FE12 who is dying from [error disease unspecified], Aran. I am now kinda hoping you recruit Samson instead to leave that possibility open...

I got lucky. Lost two killing edge uses... and had two heart attacks in the space of a minute, but Ogma... thankfully decided not to crit, and thankfully is just short of killing him (seriously 2 points of strength and it'd be a different story. I'll never bitch about Ogma's damage output again). Also Caeda turns an unlucky schmuck into a smear.

Its meant to be. You have to use Matthis now!

4 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

He has 2 Skill, and 6 Speed at base as a Cavalier. I am guessing you misread his base stats.

12 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Funny enough, Ukyo drew inspiration from a real samurai himself. Mind it was another samurai, and one who didn't have tuberculosis. (The same guy inspired Sephiroth if I'm not mistaken, or at least his rivalry with Cloud and oversized sword). Sasaki Kojiro to be specific.

Ah, that guy. He was the one who, according to legend, invented the Tsubame Gaeshi technique, which is a sword strike so blindingly fast that it seemed like two sword strikes were happening at the same time. And then Fate/Stay Night came along and exaggerated that to three.
He's also famous for his duel against Miyamoto Musashi, in which he reportedly lost his life.

Ukyo was having some trouble keeping up with the army due to his tuberculosis, so he borrowed Jagen's horse

Dark humor. My favorite!

Ukyo fortunately hits the thief so hard the game glitches his name.

The game not only brings back the "change a Japanese name to an English one for no reason" localization trick, it also implemented a technique to do it by itself! Truly, technology has come very far.

lmao

Which actually hits at... 39%. Go figure. He was useful. Didn't see that coming.

And people say Barst is the only useful Fighter bro...

Remember what I had Ogma equipped with? I did the moment this started. Oh boy did I. I also remembered that Ogma doubles Matthis. Oh boy.

And it is here where the title of this episode (?) came from, I bet.
Reminds me of that one time I actually had Shiida in range of the guy... *cough* Oops.
I reset. Please don't kill me, Saint Rubenio.

Which reminds me, this conversation is why I prefer Michalis dying in Mystery of the Emblem as opposed to, you know, living in New Mystery. He's kind of a bastard.

I always found Michalis surviving the events of Shadow Dragon and coming back in New Mystery kind of a cop-out, to be honest.
Goes to show that even the "people won't stay dead, even though they should be" thing in FE wasn't invented by Awakening.

Deaths: My credibility.

I mean... you just aggro'ed a Hunter and almost killed Saint Rubenio's Precious.
I don't think that was enough to kill your credibility.

Another fun and tense episode! Keep it up!

12 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:
14 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

If you keep dong this, I will be unAbel to read your LP because it gets confusing.

This is too much. I can't believe I missed that one when I read the update.

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

The attempt that never met its conclusion sadly. Fifty tries later, I got a few swipes in on Medeus with the bargain bin Falchion and Marth got crushed like the wilted leaf he is in SD.

No Marth, forgive me for failing both you and Archanea with my feeble FE skills.

Ah, don't beat yourself up. Medeus is pretty difficult. Usually you want Nagi to commit suicide on him to knock off most of his health. A blast of the Geosphere also helps. Then you can do something hilarious like this.

Mxfdie8l oHi2ijwln oKht0lzsl o

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Reminds me of that one time I actually had Shiida in range of the guy... *cough* Oops.

I will pardon your transgression. This time.

Part 5: Literally Lea Littering

Replies

Spoiler
15 hours ago, Benice said:

Pengauis wouldn't raid my bank account. There's no butter or dead people to pun.

We already knew that Wrys was a god.
Fair point. I mean, who else grows resistance in Shadow Dragon? I mean besides everyone who can reclass into a magic class and Marth... eh... wait. Okay who else is likely to grow resistance?

I must go read it now!

This guy. He's like the Waluigi to Morshu's much more memorable Wario. Lanky and clad in purple... he's a pale shadow of a better character. He's most memorable for being forgettable. Also he'll never get into Smash, but one day I swear I'll meme Morshu into it.

GASP! NO WONDER IT DIDN'T GET RELEASED IN NORTH AMERICA!
Pretty sure Shadow Dragon got released in North America. New Mystery.. where you could do Fighter Wrys on the other hand...
I'm still pissed New Mystery didn't get a Western release because it was literally the first new game after I got into the franchise.
I had to wait a few years AND get a 3DS for Awakening (as I didn't have one at the time).

Golly!

Wait...Is this an ironman?
I never specifically said it was... because to be fair I expected to be absolutely destroyed by now. Also now people are demanding strange unit choices (using Matthis on H3 is one thing... on H5 the prospect is nerve-wracking if Ironman rules come in)

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'd still argue it's proof of my bad luck. My luck is so terrible that when I try to hold a pity party about it, it turns around just so I won't even get to have that.
Meanwhile... I literally didn't screenshot Matthis getting doubled because in the moment I'd forgotten Ogma couldn't one-round him. So I was totally ready for the death quote... thought the game bugged out and didn't display it, then realized he was still alive with 4 hp. Seriously, that was the most panicked I've ever been playing Fire Emblem because usually by the time things are that far south I'm taking a low-percent crit and too stunned to react.

Dissing my boy Matthis is not allowed. He can be a God, provided you believe in him. I believe. Do you?
More like dissing the developers here. My complaint is they treat him like a chew-toy. No Cipher card. Dropping his lance rank. No hard-mode bonuses because of the game he's in (I know that affects a lot of units, but Matthis and Darros get it particularly harsh). Also, I totally had to bring up the luck stat... for foreshadowing. Or reverse foreshadowing. I don't know.

Damn them...! Leave them alone for one second, and they'll take your villages. Kill every last one of them!
For the exp a promoted unit gives at this stage of the game? I'd kill every last one of them twice if it were possible.

That is just a common glitch, nothing to be worried about. In fact, I'll fix it for you. All I need is the deed of your house.
Joke's on you. My father still owns my house.

Malledus is kind of a non-character, to be honest. Nobody knows where he came from, who his parents are, how he entered the service of Altea, how he learned to be a tactician, what he does after the wars (other than the fact that he's ill in book 2 and is unceremoniously replaced by Jagen)...
How much of that can be applied to other characters from Archanea? Save the "what he does after the wars". I mean unless you count the "disappeared after the war" types.

But at least he gets more in this game than he does in the rest. At least here he has the prologue to give some context to his presence. In FE1 and 3 he just... sort of pops into existence in chapter 3. I don't think he's even introduced by name.
"Who are you old man?" ~Marth

I can totally understand the popularity of all those lame creepypastas because I was the target audience once. No kidding, I once found Jeff to be scary. In my defense, I was 12 years old. Back then I found things like Creepypasta Land scary and awesome.
The picture? I can understand. The story? It's like... what the hell did I just read? I've read better trollpasta.

I still find Creepypasta Land to be scary and awesome, though. Just not in the way the creator intended. If you have never seen that game, do yourself a favor and watch a playthrough. It's absolutely hysterical.
Will do shortly... if I don't forget. There's a bit of a weight in between, as I've got a workout to do.

Everyone: meh, it's just Matthis, who cares.

Me:

Pkepclok o

Also me: This meme format is garbage.
I've never seen this meme before. But yep. Garbage format. That said.. I knew exactly how you'd feel. Because I was literally repeating "please don't crit" over and over and over and over... even before I remembered the killing edge. Then the moment he didn't crit I felt joy. Then I remembered he had another attack. Then I started again. Literally full emotional roller coaster ending in "he's still alive?"

Yes you did, The Roger, my friend. Yes you did.

...actually, no. It couldn't have been any other way. Matthis is, after all, the greatest of warriors. Now you must use him. Dew it.
Are you trying to get him killed? Is this going to be the equivalent of Pengauis demanding Arkis? Fine. I'll see if I can somehow do this without... you know, getting him killed.

Wouldn't surprise me, given her first instinct upon being awakened from evil possession while standing next to the Shadow Dragon was to aggressively flirt with Julian. Seriously, that moment will never cease to amaze me.
Also going into the Ghoul's Teeth in the first place. Maybe it wasn't just to heal people. Perhaps she was hoping for someone to steal her heart... and had no idea just how bad the bandits in the area were.

Matthis nearly dies

Let's cliffhanger Ukyo getting healed for 1 HP! What could possibly go wrong with this?!
We both know what I wanted as a cliff-hanger. We both know it came too early in the update, so I decided to go with character building subplot instead.

I expect time paradoxes. Any less will disappoint me. Endeavor not to disappoint me, Paladin.
You always do time paradoxes. I'm thinking something else. Maybe. Or maybe it'll just be character building. I mean, Lena got 0 supports in New Mystery due to being in the last chapter. So I've got some room.

Yes... Pengaius...
Reminds me... King Dedede is a Penguin who obviously has a sweet tooth because he steals food (also making him a thief) and participates in the gourmet race... the third area of Kirby's Adventure (which has some catchy music) is the Butter Building. Also I have never seen Pengauis and King Dedede in the same room. I believe I've ascertained the truth about Pengaius. Or at least another crackpot conspiracy.

This guy was the "We have X at home" meme decades before it existed. Morshu with 200% more creepiness and none of the charm. What monster is he even talking about? Gorreas? Gonorrheas? Who does he think Zelda is, a gynecologist?
Goriyas are those rat-looking guys with boomerangs from the first two Legend of Zelda games. I don't care what the wiki says, they're rats.
https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Goriya

14 hours ago, Benice said:

According to the zelda wiki, a Goriya. It's kinda like that creepy cutscene from Faces of Evil where the enemy says "tastes like a daira!"

Daira's of course being those Dragon headed guys from Death Mountain with the axe in Zelda II. The ones who more or less got replaced by Lizalfos and Dynalfos in later games.

13 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

Oh what I mean is that the hunchbacks aren't released until a bit after the birds show on screen, which is plenty of enough time to defeat them, with a long whip of course but if you don't have a long whip by then then you're effectively screwed.
I was talking about the bats... not the hunchbacks. Those are more manageable. Just.

I remember back in the day when it was considered among the great creepypastas that stood alongside Slenderman for example, but now any good memory of it is pure nostalgia.
Also on the point of Lott.exe, the Sonic.exe game was named that because it was supposed to make it sound like a simple computer file, but then everyone overused it thinking it made their game scary because 10 yr olds thought the X was evil or sth.
Lot.exe maintains the name because it was Ruben's joke on that entire gag (like Zalwade). I think that update happened on Halloween or Friday the 13th too. Hence spooky axemen. Mind if I'm being honest, I might have a bias against old creepypasta because by the time they were a thing I thought I'd be clever and try and solve infamous cold cases like Jack the Ripper and Hinterkaifeck. Because as a child I greatly over-estimated my ability to put together the pieces of puzzles that are, in all honesty, incomplete. Mind at this point I have a fairly strong suspect for the latter, and DNA evidence has allegedly confirmed the former. That said, I maintain they'll never solve the Zodiac Killer's cyphers, because I'm of the opinion he made the first one solvable deliberately, and then used utter garbage for the subsequent ones to waste police resources on trying to solve them. Because that'd be the smart move.

I don't think I'll have that many situations where I'll be able to do that. Mind at least I had the restraint not to try and work Marth in twice.

As Eltosian Kadath points out later, his skill as a cavalier is 2 (hilarious when you consider Navarre's lore as a swordsman of renown). His speed is 6. Just enough to not get doubled by the cavs this chapter.. but not enough to avoid getting done in by the fighters... hence why he went the other way.

10 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

If you don't keep him occupied, he might get Bord and join the enemy.
Shame his defenses are cardBord thin.

He's always been annoyed by his twin outshining him.
At this point, it looks like Draug's gonna replace him. He's actually got a speed stat.

tenor.gif?itemid=4301345
I don't understand the glitch either. How bizarre.

It's situations like these that, if it was me playing, I would inevitably lose a unit (or three) because even with a high hit rate my units would miss anyway.
I'm honestly shocked I didn't. For someone who hates depending on luck, I've got way too much mileage out of it. Maybe it feels rejected.

Good thing this wasn't FE6. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with ranged weapons when I ran through the first few chapters of FE6.
I mean, it was a nice bonus. I didn't really need it to work, because I had enough manpower to finish the thief without... but I'll take it. Besides, having a different unit than Ogma to divide the enemy attack saved killing edge uses.... and Caeda because of my mistake on enemy range. I literally cancelled out one mistake with another mistake. This is why I usually don't play after a migraine... because I stay a bit dull for the rest of the day. Then I forget to swap out a killing edge (which was meant to happen with Bord) and apparently fortune favors a fool (not Matthis, me).

That's nice. Even enemy fighters have an appreciation for family reunions. Then they'll quickly cut you down after the moment is over. Hey, a job's a job.
The funny part is, I actually did remember him mid-way through the conversation. I'd forgotten about him between the panic over Matthis and deciding to get the thief before I forgot him. It kind of hit me that this red unit was just chilling out by my troops at this point.

This is the face of an honest man. A face that looks like it's from a cardboard cutout, but still an honest face.
Perfectly timed screencaps. I like to imagine he's midway through nodding in that frame.

It's not often that a Jagen unit will last you until late game and still be really effective, but Marcus was great for me up until the very end of FE7. Although Titania is my favorite Jagen, both character-wise and gameplay-wise.
Meanwhile, Ruben managed to get FE6 Marcus to endgame as his Durandal user. Somehow. He also killed Murdock from memory. Or was it Zephiel? I can't remember right now whether it was Lot who killed Zephiel and Marcus who killed Murdock or the other way around.
Also there's Seth in Sacred Stones who is close to endgame ready at base. Because why not.

------------

Of course, why would anyone ever do that? Certainly not me out of convenience.
I have not the foggiest. Especially when doing a screenshot LP.

Well.. I came across a youtube video where someone used a forged killing edge to kill Medeus in a Marth solo.. depending on funds..

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I am amused.

The sad thing is I forgot to add that counter to the end of the update. Mind the fact I know it's at three (unless I go back and find reasons in chapter 2) is enough to work with.

Well you got me to look it up, and that is an interesting reference. Clearly you meant to evoke her magic lance that can unhorse her foes, but her marrying Rogero to found the house of Este makes for some interesting implications. Are we about to see the rise of Est in this playthrough? I sure hope so, for Estus is bestus!

I honestly don't expect to get away with using Est in this playthrough. But yeah. You got the reference. I couldn't resist referring to a heroine whose lance literally unhorses anyone it touches with a lance forged for pretty much the same purpose. The Rogero part was just icing on the cake.

I would be rather amused if this is a excuse to make him replace the paladin Jagen of FE12 who is dying from [error disease unspecified], Aran. I am now kinda hoping you recruit Samson instead to leave that possibility open...

Problem with that is... I quite like Arran. So writing him out's not high on my to do list.

Its meant to be. You have to use Matthis now!

Well that's two votes for Matthis. Thankfully I half anticipated this... mostly because I knew Ruben would want it. Hence I knew 1 vote was guaranteed.

He has 2 Skill, and 6 Speed at base as a Cavalier. I am guessing you misread his base stats.
I've already commented on this, so I'm fresh out of jokes for it.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Ah, that guy. He was the one who, according to legend, invented the Tsubame Gaeshi technique, which is a sword strike so blindingly fast that it seemed like two sword strikes were happening at the same time. And then Fate/Stay Night came along and exaggerated that to three.
He's also famous for his duel against Miyamoto Musashi, in which he reportedly lost his life.
The very duel that inspired the entire Sephiroth/Cloud Strife rivalry... and Cloud's colossal sword which related to the trick Miyamoto used to defeat him. It also inspired Haohmaru, the protagonist of Samurai Shodown (at least 1 and 2, they tended to use new ones every game after that) and Ukyo.. even if the rivalry was dropped by the second game. Haohmaru is kind of the polar opposite of Ukyo... in that he's a bit of a braggart. Mind one that is dedicated to fighting evil who matures over the series timeline as he stops seeking out fights for the sake of it. But definitely the polar opposite of the more quiet Ukyo.

Dark humor. My favorite!
I've gotten two jokes out of the tuberculosis already. If I keep this up, people will think it's the only reason I picked Ukyo as a "catalyst" character for my fanfiction-y supports. To explain that, I'm basically using him as a wall to bounce other characters off of, playing off both the fact he's in a land completely alien to him, and the fact that he's got a debilitating condition. Naturally there's two characters I really, really want to work with concerning him, and a third that just made sense considering the circumstances. As one can probably guess, Lena is one of the two, on the grounds she got screwed out of supports next game. Julian having a hostility to him makes sense considering the circumstances under which they met, so I decided to play with that. The third major character? Well I'm sure some people have an idea by now.

The game not only brings back the "change a Japanese name to an English one for no reason" localization trick, it also implemented a technique to do it by itself! Truly, technology has come very far.
I figure it's a bug leftover from some prototype where they were gonna use that mercernary guy from the original before striking that deal with SNK.

lmao

And people say Barst is the only useful Fighter bro...
Bord's probably still mad I compared him negatively to Cord. Who knew he'd pull his weight this run?

And it is here where the title of this episode (?) came from, I bet.
Very much so. If it were closer to halfway through the screencaps... I'd have totally ended that part there to see the panic. I mean... I had to suffer it.

I always found Michalis surviving the events of Shadow Dragon and coming back in New Mystery kind of a cop-out, to be honest.
Goes to show that even the "people won't stay dead, even though they should be" thing in FE wasn't invented by Awakening.
Well, I'm pretty sure Camus beat him to it. Then again, for all I know Tatiana threw him in one of those resurrection fountains around Valentia when his corpse washed up. Wouldn't that explain everything? I mean until you get that memory prism in SOV.... but you know.

I mean... you just aggro'ed a Hunter and almost killed Saint Rubenio's Precious.
I don't think that was enough to kill your credibility.
To be fair... him surviving was still more than a 50% chance... even then. You know, unlike that 1% Draug crit on the first boss. With 33-ish hit. Which honestly tops anything else so far this game, even if it was completely unnecessary. I mean, even getting two crits on Hyman was around 6% chance. Give or take whatever applies for the hit-rate... and the dodge.

Another fun and tense episode! Keep it up!
I'll try... but I admit it's a lot less tense the moment you've taken the initiative and the enemy is the one on the defensive.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is too much. I can't believe I missed that one when I read the update.
The sad thing is I'm like this in real life. Makes it fun when I go to set the table, and make a commenting about "forking over the utensils" or the like.

Ah, don't beat yourself up. Medeus is pretty difficult. Usually you want Nagi to commit suicide on him to knock off most of his health. A blast of the Geosphere also helps. Then you can do something hilarious like this.

Mxfdie8l oHi2ijwln oKht0lzsl o
I mean, he was doing a Marth/Caeda solo... so that technically wasn't an option. Well the first part anyway.

I will pardon your transgression. This time.
I'm just gonna stay quiet in this corner.

I used a different image at the start of part 4 from the end of part 3 to see if anyone would notice

Update

Spoiler

When we left off, Lena was attempting to fix Ukyo's tuberculosis.
Ukyo: ... Are you going to do it?
Lena: I just did.
Ukyo: I feel no different. Perhaps I need to give it time to work... *leaves*
Lena: I warned him. I'm a healer, not a miracle worker.
0DwFI9hd_o.png
Anyway, now that the healings done, I skipped a few turns of movement. Despite what the screenshot may implicate, that's Ukyo in the red zone to draw the archers and knight... as he can take both hits without risk of crits. I think Abel's the one next to him, which makes sense because I obviously moved the cursor one left before moving it up. Matthis is the one diagonal, and I'm pretty sure Cain was next to Jagen.
mtcvJ48e_o.png
As demonstrated when Ukyo takes the hit. Which is how I found out that knight apparently stays on the bridge. Which I guess makes sense. Chokepoint and all. I could have literally used Abel and javelin'd him. But I guess at least I was safe.
nxIffVup_o.pngh1vnQYff_o.pngpxPJK4gN_o.png
Anyway, Ogma (who doubles these guys with a steel sword) and Cain put down one archer, and Matthis makes his debut by damaging the other. There I used Matthis. Is everyone happy? No? Sigh. Very well. He's not done yet.
S7MWji6s_o.pngeUK8K9Y0_o.pngbE1Xdj0W_o.pngdNPyDshU_o.pngmYTJVi97_o.png6aHSR5xS_o.pngskbnWDkg_o.png
We take a moment to evacuate Merric from the town, because I have no idea what happens if I try when there's someone else parked where he appears, and now is not the time to experiment. Also it's gonna be a passing shame. Because I have no need for Excalibur on the losers left here, so I'll settle for using more replaceable weapons.
lEqyOUZ4_o.png67FFCcve_o.pnglyr6cwji_o.pngnAcmUNJG_o.png
Barst sets up by the bridge while damaging the archer just in case the knight should decide to use a different strategy suddenly. Caeda once again disregards advice about going near archers, because it's not like she's killed enough people this chapter. Lena... once again heals Ukyo. I swear I saw that before.
Ukyo: Well that dispels any doubts. You were correct. Experiencing the healing power of that staff firsthand, I know that for certain.
Lena: Does this mean you'll be leaving us?
Ukyo: I did not promise my sword to your cause because of the potential for a cure. I'll remain until I can fight no longer.
Lena: Have you heard of Khadein?
Ukyo: I have not heard of such a person.
Lena *laughs* Khadein isn't a person. It's a place. A city of mages. I bet there's a scroll somewhere in their library that can offer a cure I know nothing of.
Ukyo: .... So there could still be hope?
Lena: I'm sure of it.
FX1Emd7e_o.pngtpM6iLR6_o.pngGWLrzk0p_o.png
Player phase... well Barst hammers home to the knight the why trading off speed and movement is a bad idea. Wrys heals Barst up so he can survive the oncoming horsemen (while I forget to switch Barst to something lighter because I'm a forgetful Barstard). Ogma sets up in position to draw one of the horsemen so they don't gang up on Barst, while Matthis, Cain and Abel set up on the other side of the river so I can surround the horsemen easier.
rLG4YSRW_o.pngwbZPSApq_o.pngNvcjhk0H_o.png
You can totally tell I didn't plan for Barst to be doubled. He could have survived one crit... but not a crit and an attack. Thankfully, no crits procced... so that hammer didn't kill him. Ogma's safe because he can't even be doubled. It's at this stage I realize if Ogma was one space to the right they'd have been positioned so I could safely surround both and take my time. But I didn't think of that until too late.
rh8pel0P_o.pngHYiNT4wG_o.pngYh86SjBB_o.pngxgwL5OV8_o.png
Anyway, because of that blunder, I decide it's best not to involve Matthis in my little endeavor of surrounding and beating them down.
gbhkeyjP_o.pngtWcD6s7E_o.png
But I do heal Barst and have him iron axe the one that could crit him, seeing as the other guy's not gonna kill him in one hit. I mean, neither of them are now that they can't double him. I also healed Ogma so he could draw another shot... but then didn't screenshot it.
NxExYfg5_o.pngQraP8yhu_o.pngIdEEK0ox_o.png5N9ob98S_o.png
Oh would you look at that. They did still double Barst. I guess the hammer wasn't as big a mistake as I thought. Anyway, the one without crit couldn't kill him under any circumstance (save me not healing him, but that would be dumb). Whereas the one who could crit targeted Cain because like a genius I put the units with high luck in range of the one with lower crit and the units with low luck in range of the one with higher crit. Thankfully, it seems my low percent crit meter is burned out from Barst's unnecessary one-shot of the fighter early in the chapter. So we're probably not gonna see any more for a bit.
H1koA3zq_o.pngm7gG5KwL_o.png
Barst kills the horseman, and acquires the one point of luck he needed to avoid being at risk of a crit earlier by said horseman. That's poetic. He also gets the one point of HP that would've made it so he could have survived a crit and a regular hit from him. So now that horseman's dead, he's not a threat to Barst, and not just in the sense he's not breathing.aQWcujNC_o.pngGL6hqiR5_o.png7daSTLhQ_o.pngXj3eo7pV_o.png
The Three Cavalieros see to it that the horseman menace is no more. Abel gets some more strength, and some luck... which is gonna be handy to be honest.

tFKFLmDd_o.pngTyQBQOTe_o.pngP4yKPvSK_o.png
Ukyo gets this level, which makes me wonder if Lena's treatment didn't have a delayed effect after all. It's pretty ironic a guy with a terminal illness has ten luck, while the guy who survived a round with a killing edge Ogma has 0. Seriously, in this run's continuity, Matthis at base took two hits from Ogma with a killing edge and lived... while H5 Hyman took two hits from Ogma with a killing edge and died. What a strange world. Also Marth begins towards the village and Lena gets in some healing on Barst for the exp.
k2Qlv5w3_o.pngOpxMUVG4_o.png
I have to wonder how much of the gold was really saved before your obvious shopping spree, random villager.
lsltIXpX_o.pngaz5s7ljk_o.pngp7UNaS6C_o.png7f06iRDO_o.png
Anyway, due to the lack of living foes, Cain puts a lance to the remaining curate to finally get that level up. More strength is good. Wrys helps Cain to recover some HP gaining a level in the process. Now the guy's got 9 res. Keep this up Wrys and you'll be good to tank Gharnef for real. Once your heal recovers. I didn't realize that Shadow Dragon had injury mechanics like Berwick.
Uh3Hkp7R_o.png1NhwQGCu_o.pngas5Z4dQe_o.png
Anyway, seeing as Matthis can damage the curate without killing him, and Abel can finish the job, I do that. Lena levels up. Still worse than Wrys in the stat that matters most for a healer... magic. Go figure.
z7tF4CaD_o.png
Anyway the boss... who I just realized is much more impressive on H5 just because my hunters can barely damage him with an iron bow (which is all Draug can use), and Gordin can't even do damage with said iron bow. Sure I could literally one shot the guy with Bradamante... but why waste uses? (I say before wasting probably an equivalent amount of lesser materials in the name of saving my expensive spear and getting exp/wexp). Seeing as this was a shorter fight (compared Gomer)... I saved every screenshot. Let the madness commence.
3Rw4x5qs_o.pngBUNsvmtG_o.pngngCHfc7P_o.png9g5UoBpY_o.png
L7HTBnXg_o.pngvOvrr6sb_o.pnghyxOkym6_o.png1USWzTHS_o.png
aRo1VZNi_o.png
And so goes player phase 1 of the Bentheon battle. Some hits. Some misses. I set up Marth with the rapier to do some enemy phase chipping... while lowkey hoping for a crit.
qE0VojAh_o.png
Enemy phase is, about what can be expected. No crit, but both parties hit.

Q9TdpCFb_o.pngBJMDvGFP_o.pngBGk2VyCI_o.pnghV5XzQ18_o.pngMKOiUDt2_o.pngKxy5hgyT_o.png7WeX99ur_o.png
Phase two doesn't go my way. Bentheon's more agile than a man on horseback has any right to be. Worse I move Marth south to borrow Ogma's vulnerary before remembering it won't heal him enough to survive a hit. I can't even put Ogma in to replace him because he needs his steel sword to do damage. But I'm not gonna complain, because Matthis would be dead if this weren't the case.
Ap2U3RXA_o.pngQIrqn64N_o.pngtH4y9TCk_o.pngIsKVeQvb_o.pngOMZqRkxe_o.pngGIrqRFQf_o.png
Player phase three of the battle of Bentheon is literally two hits, a bunch of misses, and Marth moving to get healed by Lena. See, this is where all my bad RNG rolls for the first four chapters went. I can't even add to the "Pollux is disappointed counter". Because everyone was disappointing. Castor's not even a standout.
g1G24pWE_o.pngwuVxCTPY_o.pngsFyrAw1N_o.pngakK9u5nX_o.png
Phase four instantly proves more productive. Draug reminds me of what happened in the first chapter with another low percent crit. Barst and Caeda are inspired to get their hits in.

ALcsp6nl_o.pngALcsp6nl_o.pngnlLrRaO3_o.png
Seeing my opportunity, Lena finishes healing Marth so he can rapier Bentheon into an early grave. Or litter the lea with his corpse. Bentheon's completely taken offguard by the fact I'd do this, seeing as Marth could be killed enemy phase (mind if I didn't have half a dozen options to send in and finish him off in the event Marth missed).
hxrah4NT_o.pngrPnHBq5e_o.png
Marth rewards my diligence with this atrocity of a level. Why do I even bother? You're not going to take this seriously are you? Well, at least that rider's bane has only been used once.

Now usually, this would be where I seize... but anticipating what'd happen I did something unusual. I saved. Why?
xZ81Piaq_o.png
Seeing as people are requesting I use Matthis (and I knew there'd be at least one)... on H5.... I figure I might give him a fighting chance to survive. But how much so, I leave up to the readers. How many levels? Personally I'm thinking taking him to level 6 is fair given his bases. But I don't know. I haven't used an arena in years... I forget how much gold I'm gonna make out of that. Though I'll probably spend it all on trying to make Matthis work... on a difficulty I'm not familiar with. Without softlocking myself.

Anyway, until I get the vote... farewell.

Deaths:
My evasion of arenas
My credibility.
Crit Counter:
Barst: 1
Caeda:3
Draug:2
Marth:1
Ogma:3
Generic enemy:1
Pollux Disappointed Counter: 3

Spoiler
31 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

m7gG5KwL_o.png
Barst kills the horseman, and acquires the one point of luck he needed to avoid being at risk of a crit earlier by said horseman. That's poetic. He also gets the one point of HP that would've made it so he could have survived a crit and a regular hit from him.

It's as if level-ups were learning, here Barst learned to take less risks in general.

33 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

tFKFLmDd_o.png
Ukyo gets this level

That's a pretty good level, specially since isn't Cav!Navarre pretty weak?

36 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

z7tF4CaD_o.png
Anyway the boss... who I just realized is much more impressive on H5 just because my hunters can barely damage him with an iron bow (which is all Draug can use), and Gordin can't even do damage with said iron bow. Sure I could literally one shot the guy with Bradamante... but why waste uses?

Why waste time?

Lena finishes healing Marth so he can rapier

Wait no Marth don't Rap(e)-i(h)er!

Bentheon into an early grave

Oh....
wait no Marth what are you doing!?!?

39 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

xZ81Piaq_o.png
Seeing as people are requesting I use Matthis

I really don't, I just knew Ruben memed him to godhood and this was going to happen, I guess it's fine though.

How much of that can be applied to other characters from Archanea? Save the "what he does after the wars". I mean unless you count the "disappeared after the war" types.

Fair point, I suppose, but everyone other character has the sequel. Even guys like Tomas get something in FE12. Malledus isn't even mentioned in FE12, so he's left with what he has in FE1/3/11, which is... absolutely nothing.

Will do shortly... if I don't forget.

You collect Yu-gi-oh cards of stolen artworks of creepypasta characters in that one. How awesome is that? Also, broken english.

Are you trying to get him killed? Is this going to be the equivalent of Pengauis demanding Arkis?

No, no. You see, Pengaius was being unreasonable. I, on the other hand, have proof. You just have to look at my signature to see why you should use Matthis.

I think that update happened on Halloween or Friday the 13th too.

Really? That's a new one. I hadn't even realized. If so, that makes it even more perfect.

I can't remember right now whether it was Lot who killed Zephiel and Marcus who killed Murdock or the other way around.

Lot killed Zephiel. Marcus killed Murdock.

Which is how I found out that knight apparently stays on the bridge.

Doesn't he have no movement, though? I seem to remember that he doesn't have any movement precisely to evidence that he stays put.

There I used Matthis. Is everyone happy? No?

What do you think the answer is? He must look like he does in my signature. Any less will result in a very unhappy Ruben.

Seriously, in this run's continuity, Matthis at base took two hits from Ogma with a killing edge and lived... while H5 Hyman took two hits from Ogma with a killing edge and died. What a strange world.

I see nothing wrong with this. Matthis is powerful. He only uses 2% of his power normally because he doesn't want to bother helping people who diss him constantly.

3Rw4x5qs_o.png

I like how this rando without a ranged weapon has an absolutely badass battle quote. Heck, his design is pretty good. Uh, big blocks of flesh as eyebrows notwithstanding.

Sure I could literally one shot the guy with Bradamante... but why waste uses?

It's one use, The Roger. One.

xZ81Piaq_o.png
Seeing as people are requesting I use Matthis (and I knew there'd be at least one)... on H5.... I figure I might give him a fighting chance to survive. But how much so, I leave up to the readers. How many levels? Personally I'm thinking taking him to level 6 is fair given his bases. But I don't know. I haven't used an arena in years... I forget how much gold I'm gonna make out of that. Though I'll probably spend it all on trying to make Matthis work... on a difficulty I'm not familiar with. Without softlocking myself.

Oh wow, you're actually going to use the arena? In Shadow Dragon? I wouldn't use that even in a lower difficulty, because it's close to impossible!

If you want to subject yourself to that, though, be my guest. Level 6 sounds fine.

32 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I just knew Ruben memed him to godhood

Memed into godhood? He became my best unit in two separate runs of two separate games! That ain't no meme, that's as serious as it gets!

or dead people

Suuuuureee there isn't...

This guy. He's like the Waluigi to Morshu's much more memorable Wario. Lanky and clad in purple... he's a pale shadow of a better character. He's most memorable for being forgettable. Also he'll never get into Smash, but one day I swear I'll meme Morshu into it

That is an accurate comparison.

Pretty sure Shadow Dragon got released in North America. New Mystery.. where you could do Fighter Wrys on the other hand...
I'm still pissed New Mystery didn't get a Western release because it was literally the first new game after I got into the franchise.
I had to wait a few years AND get a 3DS for Awakening (as I didn't have one at the time).

It did? Never had a 3DS, so I wouldn't know.

Daira's of course being those Dragon headed guys from Death Mountain with the axe in Zelda II. The ones who more or less got replaced by Lizalfos and Dynalfos in later games.

Imagine being knowledgable.

I honestly don't expect to get away with using Est in this playthrough

YOU MUST USE EST! THERE WILL BE MUCH UNR EST IF YOU BENCH HER!

To level 15 but you can't field him until Marth catches up.

I'd say level 8 because he still won't be that good, since you ain't Ruben. 

Pengauis wouldn't raid my bank account. There's no butter or dead people to pun.

Money can be exchanged for butter or dead people.

Arkis

Whomst has summoned the almighty one. 

I have never seen Pengauis and King Dedede in the same room. I believe I've ascertained the truth about Pengaius.

That's only because of the restraining order that we mutually set up, long story for another time. 

If I keep this up, people will think it's the only reason I picked Ukyo as a "catalyst" character for my fanfiction-y supports. To explain that, I'm basically using him as a wall to bounce other characters off of

Ah the old Kris approach to character supports, a technique that gets underappreciated due to other complaints about Kris's writing.

skbnWDkg_o.png
We take a moment to evacuate Merric from the town, because I have no idea what happens if I try when there's someone else parked where he appears, and now is not the time to experiment. Also it's gonna be a passing shame. Because I have no need for Excalibur on the losers left here, so I'll settle for using more replaceable weapons.

You have actually got me curious what happens if you spawn block your allies now.

You can totally tell I didn't plan for Barst to be doubled. He could have survived one crit... but not a crit and an attack. Thankfully, no crits procced... so that hammer didn't kill him.

Just imagine if this was a game where all of them use shortbows for that tiny bit of extra unlucky crits.

And so goes player phase 1 of the Bentheon battle. Some hits. Some misses. I set up Marth with the rapier to do some enemy phase chipping... while lowkey hoping for a crit.

I am surprised you didn't have Merrick help with the chipping, but I guess it all worked out in the end.

hxrah4NT_o.pngrPnHBq5e_o.png
Marth rewards my diligence with this atrocity of a level. Why do I even bother? You're not going to take this seriously are you? Well, at least that rider's bane has only been used once.

I like the old GBA method where you get it at full uses when a weapon drops far more.

Seeing as people are requesting I use Matthis (and I knew there'd be at least one)... on H5.... I figure I might give him a fighting chance to survive. But how much so, I leave up to the readers. How many levels? Personally I'm thinking taking him to level 6 is fair given his bases.

That level sounds fine. If you really don't want to use him, don't feel like you have to, I just think it would be interesting if you did (same idea with Est).

52 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Ah the old Kris approach to character supports, a technique that gets underappreciated due to other complaints about Kris's writing.

Indeed, Kris's problems are in the main story. Most people benefitted from having him as a support partner, Arran being my favorite example. The guy found in Kris the perfect support partner, being a squire seeking counsel from a more experienced knight. Who also happens to be dying.

52 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You have actually got me curious what happens if you spawn block your allies now.

You can't. The upper tile of villages is a solid tile. Nobody can move onto it, and once the new recruit moves out, they can't return either.

3 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Whomst has summoned the almighty one. 

I do not believe anybody has mentioned Eugen, Butterman.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You can't. The upper tile of villages is a solid tile. Nobody can move onto it, and once the new recruit moves out, they can't return either.

lyr6cwji_o.png

I guess the tile becomes available for fliers after its visited?