Testing the Waters I've Gone off the Deep-end. A Shadow Dragon H5 test-run

23 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Anyway... I use the opportunity to buy a couple things... heal staves to replace the ones that wore down (or flat broke) in that whole arena bit, a extra one for Wendell which Merric is holding for now, a fire tome for Merric so he doesn't exclusively use Excalibur. A forge on the Ridersbane, so Jagen can do some important stuff with it, and a name to reflect it's new power.

Gae Buidhe: the Yellow Rose of Mortality. Has a nice (tear)ring to it.

Marth... because he's mandatory.

With how relatively weak of a unit he is in Shadow Dragon, you'll often wish he wasn't.

so he should suicide charge like a moron and they should both die

Yep, that's pretty much how the enemy AI works in most FE games. They tend to pick the one closest and run themselves through on whatever weapons my beast of a unit is using.

that's strategy for you.

a bit of a waste of an Excalibur use

I'm terrible about always using my weakest weapons first because I don't want to waste my good ones, making it so I almost never use my really strong weapons and keep breaking my weak ones over and over and buying more. Kind of like I did in my BotW playthrough.

I've never actually used Sedgar as much or more than I just did

He actually made for a pretty competent General in my original, unfinished playthrough of SD.

Barstard! He missed a  95%? With two RNGs? DAMN IT.

Admittedly, I don't really understand how FE's RNG works. But missing with a 95%? That shouldn't really ever happen based on the numbers. But if numbers mattered, I wouldn't have gotten hit by a hand axe at 18% when I played FE6. So there's that.

Not much of a choice at all.

One squishy magic meatbag vs another squishy magic meatbag. Decisions, decisions.

What's with the food metaphors? Is this a mage thing? I mean, it'd explain Illyana.

Never let the mage get too hungry.

maxresdefault.jpg

Furthering my thesis about Wendell's eyesight. He hasn't noticed Marth standing next to Merric.

And he's worried about Merric blowing himself up?

Anyway, out of that we got a firestone.

Which I sold as soon as I got it. I've never been a fan of using the manaketes when they've been available in other games. Call it DLTD (dragon loli trauma disorder) after Nowi in Awakening.

no more reinfortsments

hahahahaha!

Anyway, that's a wrap to what may have been the easiest chapter (or at least the smoothest) so far. Until King Aurelis makes it into Smash Bros Ultimate, farewell.

I am genuinely impressed with how far you are making it on H5 in a game I consider to be one of the more challenging in the series. That, and I never played on anything higher than normal. But still, really impressive. Nice update.

Edited by twilitfalchion

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Meanwhile... in Pengauis' basement, the screams of the souls of the dead converted to butter fill the sound proof room. But err... you didn't hear it from me.

Haha that's silly, I don't perform horrific genetic experiments on people in the basement. That's what the garage is for

Also turn Hardin into a myrm so he can wield the silver sword

Spoiler
17 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

As we've seen in your LP's latest installment. (hint for anyone not reading it)

A shoutout of a shoutout. We've done it, we've reached peak shilling.

(Seriously tho, go play Vision Quest folks. It's awesome)

Wait... now who am I paying royalties to?

Pay them to me. I deserve moneys.

If I keep using Wrys and Matthis, this basically becomes a Saint Rubenio run by proxy doesn't it?

It's all preparation for the day that I hack into your account and take over. That way I get twice the views!

...Wait, who said that? Not me! Which Ruben was it? Oh, I'll kill you when I find you...!

Everyone who doesn't read my shit is going to be so concerned

Vyland is the most forgettable unit in Archanea.

Who?

And how does one live up to the name coyote?

By failing to catch a bird?

lOVrEeLB_o.png

That's gae.

...I hate myself...

I'm leaving Matthis and Ukyo

It's treason, then.

So, Wolf serves his purpose, as all the archers decide to go for him despite one having the ability to reach him. He also gets in 5 damage. Checking carefully, I set up Jagen on the fort so one (or hopefully both) the enemy cavs will suicide on him. If I'm right, the javelin cav will attack first because more damage (or was it crit? I forget, I played it a couple days ago), but there's no where for him to attack at two range... so he should suicide charge like a moron and they should both die. If I'm wrong, and the enemy doesn't prioritize damage... Jagen falls back and the Wolf guard helps as much as possible. Meanwhile Vyland trades Wolf's ironbow off him and Wolf sets up on the fort to heal in case. Sedgar moves to where Wolf was and takes the iron bow from Vyland so he can hold the archer's attention, chip some more, and not get doubled.... which he would if he tried to use the steel bow. Hence that archer will be easier to kill later. Which could be vital... or could just be a time saver.

See, this is why you're better than me. Your strategies require paragraphs of explanation. My strategies can be summed up as "we move forward and try not to die horribly". Once in a blue moon I put more thought into them, but then I usually get bad RNG and have to improvise. Which, again, consists entirely of moving about and praying to dear RNGoddess.

TUQMSoly_o.png
Barstard! He missed a  95%? With two RNGs? DAMN IT.

At least he's not going to die for it. Like some others.

You know, like you.

The town is safe, for what it's worth.

Hurray, you can use Bantu for combat!

...That village is so worthless... You can't even sell the thing in this game! Reminds me of that one village in FE6, in the first Sacae chapter. It's near impossible to reach, and what does it have? Eclipse. Of all things.

IhZw8e4R_o.png
Anyway, seeing as Merric's in severe risk of dying to the archer, we trade everything to Wendell.

Not quite necessary. In this game, a dead person's items teleport to the convoy once the chapter ends.

prnsXDO7_o.png
Including the fire tome, because Wendell's superior tome rank gives him a better hit-rate. You really thought I was risking a miss?

Oh. That's why.

Pope Windell, they call him.

But the strength? Now she's stronger than Marth

Attagirl. Keep at it.

Turns to Marth

Sorry, Marth! I can't give energy drops! Come back when you're a little, MMMM stronger!

Which is fine, he's not a certain powerhouse from Tear Ring Saga after all.

Friendly reminder that we literally did not take the castle from that one. Once he stopped standing, so did the fort.

...Unless you're referring to Ernst. Could go either way, to be honest, considering the reference to standing and the powerhouse comment.

Which leads to the question why he's just able to walk out like this.

Emereus mistook him for a servant and sent him to scrub the floors. As for the crown, he figured it was the man's birthday and he had been given one of those paper crowns.

13 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That is no  excuse (spoiler box if for peoples that don't want to see historically accurate armor bulges)

Eaaaaarrrghhh! I was a happier man before I saw that, I'll have you know!

13 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

( who remembers Belf?

Does it come as a surprise that I do? In fact, I like him very much. Solid unit, solid character. His support with Cam-- Sirius is really good. Also, those jackets are the best. I just wish the translators had grown a pair and kept the Vergil name. Much better than Belf. What even is a belf?

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Call it DLTD (dragon loli trauma disorder) after Nowi in Awakening.

But... have you even seen Bantu?

Jokes aside, I get you. The "technically legal dragon loli" trope is one of the most questionable in this series. I mean, for crying out loud, Sothis's attire is literally fetish gear, from what I read.

8 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

I am genuinely impressed with how far you are making it on H5 in a game I consider to be one of the more challenging in the series. That, and I never played on anything higher than normal. But still, really impressive. Nice update.

I agree. This is quite amazing.

4 hours ago, Pengaius said:

Real men make Hardin into a Feena knockoff.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You were warned about what was in the spoiler tag.

Side note the astute who dared look might also notice the significantly thinner waist, that is because a hourglass figure with a massive bulge was the epitome of man-sexy at the time. The way armor was intentionally made to make the wearer look sexy, is also some solid evidence that boob armor could have been a thing, if females wore armor regularly enough for armorers to cater to them.

Part 7- General Chaos.

Spoiler
On 6/9/2020 at 2:26 PM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

That makes sense, also considering that the Rapier is pretty expensive.

Also the fact Marth's still able to do something with it even without the forge is contributing to me holding off... for now.

Oh right since this is "Shitty units with 5 speed and 30% growth in the middle of the game; the game"

I like how you specifically described Dolph, when Macellan is literally right next to him with 3 speed and a 20% growth. Or Roger a bit earlier with the same speed but a 10% growth in his default.  Guess what I'm saying is knights have it rough in this game. As usual.

(omg why is he so god-damn bad?!

Could be worse. Vyland comes a chapter later and has 2 points of luck and one point of skill on him. Not to mention the worse growths in everything but speed (he's actually got 40%) and luck... and luck's equal at 30%.
Then Roshea has slightly better bases in everything but defense but only 10% speed growth so he's gonna be doubled all game. To top it off, he's equal to Matthis in speed and strength growths, better in skill, and significantly worse in speed, defense and luck.

They're efficient and cool, I already mentioned before how they are so cool.
Is this supposed to remind me of that Youngster in Pokemon who goes on about shorts being comfy and easy to wear?

To me, and then I'll pay them to him... promise!
Shame someone robbed my bank account earlier in this thread. Though everyone keeps saying it's a glitch.

yeah this. Sometimes it's so confusing when I think I already read sth but it's a reply and I have to scroll further up.

Plus just, seeing things as replies that you haven't got to. Notable when a death edit comes up.
Bruh, lol

Ok now the joke got stale, obviously it's just the screen showing two different scenarios at once, one of a battle and the other is him, the general looking worried at the state of the war, wether he's looking at the battle from afar or this is some midnight weary planning , the game doesn't show but I'll bet it's the latter.
I'll be honest. I was going to just be nasty to Hardin for no reason as an excuse for a brick joke later on about it being the real reason he turned evil... but I'm not sure I can keep it up without fielding him.

Of course.
It's a Shadow Dragon tradition. Empty levels with every chapter.

Damn, that sucks big time. My condolences, I bless you with my luck for your level-ups in the next part.
I hope you didn't mean this part, because I have some mixed feelings.

Beautiful, I like good endings. "Axeurracy" lol
Sometimes one has to Axept the fact they can't pun everything. But, this isn't one of those times.

But Sedgar is the one that should function as a general, and Wolf should be a hero. Atleast that's how they should be endgame, I suppose both of them getting defense early on is good. BTW, are you planning on using them?
Wolf, yes. Sedgar no. See I actually like Wolf... plus he's slightly (though only slightly), less broken than Sedgar due to less levels to grow and a slight chance of missing defense.

Woo! Awesome! Unnecessary I guess but awesome!
I'm sure I'll find that point useful down the line. Probably.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:07 PM, Benice said:
  Hide contents

What is a "Vyland?"
Just a miserable little pile of growths. But enough of that. Have at you.

If you ironman this game, I demand that you grind getting replacement characters until you get an Unil so it becomes not only a Pseudo-Saint Reubenio LP, but also a Mangs one!
Do I have to have them die twice? In different genders yet?

...Just don't kill off literally your whole army except for one replacement unit for endgame.
Sounds like an Auffle idea.

Well, I bought Sacred Stones, my first FE game, around november 3rd, 2019, then it broke, delaying the run through that game until midway through december, I then blazed through FE7, 10 and 6. I don't recall seeing FE11, but I'll have to check again.
I'm actually impressed you're trying an Ironman this early in your FE career... even if I can see it being part of what's screwed you over. It really does help to have more prior knowledge when you're going for a challenge run. Which is why I wasn't game to run this as an Ironman... I just know that H5's endgame is nasty with forged brave-weapons.

You know you mEst up if you have enough deployment slots for Est.
Either that, or you've had really bad RNG... and depending on a growth unit when RNG hates you seems a bad idea.

But it's a pseudo-Rubenio LP, so he has to defeat Medeus!
On H5? I'd have a better chance of having Wrys one-shot him with a forged Thoron crit.

I just realized that Draug is Guard backwards.

Wait...If he's Doga in the original translation, that makes him A god!
Pretty sure there's a user with that in their signature. Whether they've been active in years I don't remember.

I command thee to use Wolf and make him a general.
Already planned to. So that's one thing that's carried over from Mangs... and likely something Ruben wouldn't do. Then again... he uses good units he likes. I like Wolf. So there.

Dat's my boy Wrys! I accidently stretched the photo.
I wish you stretched his growths instead.

Five strength? On Gordin? That can only mean one thing...

Reveal hidden contents

Gordin. Forever on 5 points of strength. I wonder if that line was intentionally referencing his base strength? Nah.

Reveal hidden contents

dVn3B2O.jpg

I suppose he's got hydrocephaly, as it's certainly not helping him think.

No wonder Roger was smitten by Caeda. She's more buff than Marth!

My name may have been more poetic than I thought. Because this run sure is making me appreciate her more.

On 6/9/2020 at 4:20 PM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

Yes. Doga is A god, but also notice how Dog is God backwards, that means dogs are God's creatures.
Also my dog proof-reads these for me. I pay him in ear-rubs, because dogs have a lot of nerve endings in their ears, so they tend to like that.

Literally how?
I wish I knew. I should have asked instead of making a dumb joke about it.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:01 PM, DragonFlames said:

He could also be thinking that cool people don't look at battlefields, since he has heard that all the cool people don't look at explosions, either.
For all the shit I gave Hardin, he is a pretty cool guy. He becomes an evil emperor and doesn't afraid of anything.

If you had named it the Gáe Bolg, enemies could never recover from wounds inflicted by it. And it is confirmed to be capable of destroying sports cars, too (anime is weird).
Though its wielder would then also try to kill people by shoving the lance up their...
yeah, on second thought, I think your name is better...
Funny enough, the Gae Buidhe allegedly inflicted wounds that one could not recover from in celtic lore. The Gae Bolg, on the other hand would certainly kill anyone it was thrown at. Differing accounts were given as to whether the spear had seven heads (as in the points except running down the shaft) or opened up when inside someone, but regardless it had to be cut out of it's victims. That said, accounts usually had it go through the stomach of whoever (hence it's name translating roughly to "belly spear". Either one's apt, given that every time I've used the thing it's killed, and the dead's wounds never whiten to scars.

Poor Marth.
Seems like a sound strategy to me.
Marth's refusal to level strength is quickly becoming a running gag of the LP.

I find it hilarious how Wolf and Sedgar will get utterly slaughtered with little to no opportunity to do anything about it in this map, but they can also potentially become two of the best units in this game.
Very interesting that. Mind they actually did contribute to my efforts quite nicely with that chip damage to the archer. Indeed, more than I had dared hope.

That 1% crit scared me.
Low percent crits are everywhere on this difficulty. Funny how a lot of the more popular characters to use have enough luck to bypass them.

'Doga will choke this point'
Not anymore!
It's kind of sad how, as of now, General! Wolf is better at both jobs I've had Draug doing than Draug is by virtue of defense alone.

Ah, yes, the good old crit that only happens when the enemy would have died regardless. My favorite!
But I guess it's better than missing the 95% hit again. And he got a good level out of it, too.
I'll take any crit that's not the enemy.

Only one thing left to do...

This made me burst out laughing.
To be honest, I honestly kind of excepted to miss that 2% and lose Merric.

Methinks this is why Kellam happened.
I couldn't resist the continuity joke... like how I can't resist needling Hardin because of the sequel. Though it means that Kellam is working for a descendant of the woman who one-shot his ancestor.

Shiida is now able to beat them both at arm wrestling.
Congrats on getting another Strength level on her! Saves some gold for future forges, since you don't need to forge as much might anymore.
For someone on a 20% growth, she's not doing bad.

According to Serenes Forest, Ogma's default Luck growth is 40%, meaning the RNG decided to utterly screw you in that playthrough.
Figures as much. Usually the more beloved units seem to have decent luck growths or bases so they don't get screwed by crits. Except Jagens.

Big Bad Wolf about to eat that sheep.
... Wait, Genny is in this game?!?
I wonder if Wolf is related to anyone from Awakening. Be ironic if he had a descendant in the Shephards.

Cain: "Wolf, you took too long!" *kills curate*
Wolf: "Come on, man! That was my EXP!"
Wolf shouldn't have played with his food.

An old man with poor eyesight who is also colorblind, a guy who would be better off prowling a desert or another while riding a camel (why aren't there any camel riders in FE, anyway?)... and that one dude who confused dragons with birds. Also his girlfriend can now beat him at arm wrestling after she vaporized a guy so hard, she cursed his descendants with ultimate perma-stealth.
I think Marth was just done with everything today.
Last night I had a dream... a dream where there was a game in the series with a convoy unit like Merlinus... except he used a camel, and for some reason had a ton of move in desert maps. Which made him great for finding hidden stuff, but useless in a fight.

Har-Har-Har.

If you never want to see us again, you could just say so, you know.
Well, it was more meant as a "be well until *thing that'll never happen*".

Another entertaining part! Looking forward to the next one!
If you're reading this... I've managed to upload another one.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:59 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

That is no  excuse (spoiler box if for peoples that don't want to see historically accurate armor bulges)

Reveal hidden contents

arrmour-codpiece.jpg

main-qimg-9b31219a2a73f9d6b684de49bdf79c

knight.jpg

1132363.jpg

298c01f6097eb9be50ec21a7474182a9--suit-o

I could keep going, but I think this is enough...

Oh yes. The infamous Codpiece. The ultimate protection for the family jewels.

For Shadow Dragon...( who remembers Belf?)

Well... I could reply to this, but I mentioned it in Benice's thread for some reason.

Coyote is the trickster, a wily foe that always seems one step ahead. Its like calling a foe the fox (like Erwin Rommel, the Desert Fox) but with a more American than European spin to it.

A wily Coyote? But yeah. As said, earlier... I just wanted to mock Hardin and then act like I drove him over the edge when I inevitably do FE12.

You are just going to keep forging weapons just obscure enough that I have to look them up aren't you.

Possibly. Either that or I start with immature jokes.

I was kinda wondering if you would use the great breakers of this game, Wolf and Sedgar. I admire you restraint for only planning on using one.

Well, see using Wolf is kind of a nod to an old friend for me. I used to know a guy who simply used the alias "Wolf" online. Alas, he lived in a Middle Eastern country... and I haven't heard from him in 7 years. I often wonder if he's well or whether something happened.

Small_portrait_kellam_fe13.png *achoo* I wonder what I did that makes people always ign-
The tragic origins of Kellam.

I kinda like how they used this to clear-up how Manakete is pronounced.

I personally find the conversation hilarious. A personal favourite moment in the game.

I must point out that we see Hardin on a throne

in the opening cutscene to this chapter...

I have to wonder if the King of Aurelis was only invented as an afterthought when someone realized Hardin could potentially die in the chapter, given they hadn't yet started with units retreating when defeated so they could take part in the story. It'd explain why he's got no name.

On 6/9/2020 at 10:48 PM, twilitfalchion said:

Gae Buidhe: the Yellow Rose of Mortality. Has a nice (tear)ring to it.
And it'll be tearring apart any cavalier, paladin or horseman to try facing it.

With how relatively weak of a unit he is in Shadow Dragon, you'll often wish he wasn't.
When he keeps refusing to get strength, I certainly do.

Yep, that's pretty much how the enemy AI works in most FE games. They tend to pick the one closest and run themselves through on whatever weapons my beast of a unit is using.

that's strategy for you.
It's interesting when you realize the enemy is playing by a totally different rulebook than you. It doesn't matter to the A.I. one bit if they lose units, as long as they kill (or heavily damage) yours. That said, apparently the A.I. in FE1 would flee to the nearest fort or healer in the event they got under 25% of their max hp and would always target Marth over other units. Some thing's I'm fine with them changing to be honest. The former would have been tedious... and the second would have been very exploitable.

I'm terrible about always using my weakest weapons first because I don't want to waste my good ones, making it so I almost never use my really strong weapons and keep breaking my weak ones over and over and buying more. Kind of like I did in my BotW playthrough.
I always found it handy to keep the stronger weapons for special situations in BotW. Allowed me to do the shrines in the order I found them regardless of difficulty. I mean the first Major test of strength shrine was absolutely brutal because I had basically no durability. I had to dodge everything, and go through my whole inventory of melee weapons to win.

He actually made for a pretty competent General in my original, unfinished playthrough of SD.
Wolf and Sedgar have astonishing growths to make up for the fact that horsemen weren't promoted units in FE1 but are in Shadow Dragon. This way they didn't have to change classes or bases. Results in both characters being broken. I mean as a General, Sedgar has 110% growth in defense. This means he can actually grow two points of defense in one level, and will always grow one.

Admittedly, I don't really understand how FE's RNG works. But missing with a 95%? That shouldn't really ever happen based on the numbers. But if numbers mattered, I wouldn't have gotten hit by a hand axe at 18% when I played FE6. So there's that.
Anything with a greater than 0% chance will happen eventually. That said, with the two RN's system Fire Emblem employs in most games... well here's the table. As you'll see, the chance of that hitting was in reality 99.55%. You should also see that hand axe had about a 6% chance of hitting you. Which is higher than some of the crits I've gotten (which run off 1 rn) and about equal to my strategy with Hyman going the way it did.
https://serenesforest.net/general/true-hit/

One squishy magic meatbag vs another squishy magic meatbag. Decisions, decisions.
Well, Wendell was never in any danger. The archer couldn't double him, and if he remained an enemy he could two range attack. The thing is the combined force of the archer and Wendell was a legitimate threat... resistance being as it is in this game.

Never let the mage get too hungry.

maxresdefault.jpg
Illyana reminds me of an ex. I mean so does Mia, but that's a different ex and more for shared name reasons. Funny thing really.

And he's worried about Merric blowing himself up?
Well to be fair, Merric was at risk of dying when he said that... and he hasn't been... yet. I mean, barring the natural causes bit.

Which I sold as soon as I got it. I've never been a fan of using the manaketes when they've been available in other games. Call it DLTD (dragon loli trauma disorder) after Nowi in Awakening.
Bantu's stats and growths are enough reason not to use him. I hear he was actually good in FE1...  but it's hard to imagine.

hahahahaha!

So am I to be honest. Between chapters, I panic and worry I'm gonna screw everything up. Then I don't. Can't say if it's because I'm better than I'm willing to give myself credit for, or if I'm just luckier than I dared to admit.

On 6/10/2020 at 2:33 AM, Pengaius said:

Haha that's silly, I don't perform horrific genetic experiments on people in the basement. That's what the garage is for
I don't have a basement, so I typically use the cabin in the woods. Good part is the woods aren't on my property so no one can pin it on me if that creepy lady buried in the dirt cellar comes back to life and goes on a rampage.

I tried. He still has a D rank. Poor bastard literally needs two ranks to even use it as a myrmidon... let alone anything else.

On 6/10/2020 at 7:19 AM, Saint Rubenio said:
  Hide contents

A shoutout of a shoutout. We've done it, we've reached peak shilling.

(Seriously tho, go play Vision Quest folks. It's awesome)
I said I'm the worst shill on the site. I aim to prove it.

Pay them to me. I deserve moneys.
Didn't you get enough from raiding my bank account?

It's all preparation for the day that I hack into your account and take over. That way I get twice the views!

...Wait, who said that? Not me! Which Ruben was it? Oh, I'll kill you when I find you...!
Probably the one from Archanea Saga.

Everyone who doesn't read my shit is going to be so concerned

Who?
I forget. Probably can't be anyone important.

By failing to catch a bird?
Reminds me of my neighbour's old dog (or my old neighbour's dog, as they moved). He was incredibly unintelligent. I mean the kind of unintelligent where you could put a single piece of fencing between him and their other dog, tie said other dog up, and he'd just stare through the fence, unaware he could go around. One day, he discovered a baby bird that had fallen from a tree. He started off flinging the thing into the air... only to be chased off when it jumped at him on landing. He full blown panic-ran from it. A baby bird. His stupidity being the only thing that saved it. Mind, that's all more to do with the words "failing" and a "bird".

That's gae.
It basically means spear.

...I hate myself...

It's treason, then.
They get back on duty this chapter. Especially Matthis.

See, this is why you're better than me. Your strategies require paragraphs of explanation. My strategies can be summed up as "we move forward and try not to die horribly". Once in a blue moon I put more thought into them, but then I usually get bad RNG and have to improvise. Which, again, consists entirely of moving about and praying to dear RNGoddess.
So basically the early part of my run in the series?

At least he's not going to die for it. Like some others.

You know, like you.
This is going to confuse anyone who never read your TRS LP.

Hurray, you can use Bantu for combat!
And he can get almost one-rounded on his first chapter.

...That village is so worthless... You can't even sell the thing in this game! Reminds me of that one village in FE6, in the first Sacae chapter. It's near impossible to reach, and what does it have? Eclipse. Of all things.
Well she has to live somewhere.

Not quite necessary. In this game, a dead person's items teleport to the convoy once the chapter ends.
Very handy as long as you don't need any of them for the chapter.

Oh. That's why.
Figured the .39% chance might make a difference. Don't know if it did. Point's kind of moot at this stage.

Pope Windell, they call him.
Wendell is kind of a definer in the "Bases better than growths" argument. Merric has more potential sure, but Wendell is so useful with zero investment it's a moot point.

Attagirl. Keep at it.

Turns to Marth

Sorry, Marth! I can't give energy drops! Come back when you're a little, MMMM stronger!
Sad thing is, Marth's not likely to take the energy drops. I mean, he'd never make use of them even with Falchion.

Friendly reminder that we literally did not take the castle from that one. Once he stopped standing, so did the fort.

...Unless you're referring to Ernst. Could go either way, to be honest, considering the reference to standing and the powerhouse comment.
I did mean Ernst. I mean, the deceased here said we'd never take the castle while he stands. Ernst remained standing on death. Ergo, if he were Ernst, we'd never have taken the castle. Then again, if he were Ernst my team would have lost.

Emereus mistook him for a servant and sent him to scrub the floors. As for the crown, he figured it was the man's birthday and he had been given one of those paper crowns.
Honestly this sounds about right. Either that or Rickard was lying about being imprisoned. I mean, he had his sword, he was a thief and could open doors, there were no guards between the prison and the exit. Maybe he let the king out and set up in there to await night and rob the place for real.

Well, at least you didn't draw it.

Does it come as a surprise that I do? In fact, I like him very much. Solid unit, solid character. His support with Cam-- Sirius is really good. Also, those jackets are the best. I just wish the translators had grown a pair and kept the Vergil name. Much better than Belf. What even is a belf?
A belching elf.

But... have you even seen Bantu?
Plot twist. Bantu identifies as a loli. Nowi is actually Bantu in the future after surgery.

Jokes aside, I get you. The "technically legal dragon loli" trope is one of the most questionable in this series. I mean, for crying out loud, Sothis's attire is literally fetish gear, from what I read.
I've never been big on it. I don't mind so much when they're a character like Fae or Myrrh or even Tiki and not marriage options (I mean TIki is in Awakening, but she's physically grown by then too, so it's less disturbing). Nowi though...

I agree. This is quite amazing.
Ironically, I was originally intending to do this on a more manageable difficulty (H3).. before my brother gave me a speech about never knowing what you can achieve if you don't try. I have no idea what he was supposed to be encouraging me to do because he didn't actually bother on context as he was drunk. But it inspired me anyway.

Real men make Hardin into a Feena knockoff.
Does he dress like Shantae for that?

On 6/10/2020 at 8:54 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

You were warned about what was in the spoiler tag.

Side note the astute who dared look might also notice the significantly thinner waist, that is because a hourglass figure with a massive bulge was the epitome of man-sexy at the time. The way armor was intentionally made to make the wearer look sexy, is also some solid evidence that boob armor could have been a thing, if females wore armor regularly enough for armorers to cater to them.
Kind of like the old greco-roman armor style where they literally had a six-pack carved into the armor to give the illusion the wearer had abs?

Hanna-Barbara are time-thieves and Dick Dastardly is an obvious rip-off of Waluigi, because they both have the same mustache, wear purple and are losers.

Update.

Spoiler

1zqYJlK3_o.png
The traditional start to the update. The last screen from the prior chapter.

vKG9hwfF_o.png588EN1vI_o.png3iRxkSgC_o.pngyfPE6vxW_o.png
Extracting the treasures before they fall into enemy hands. The true challenge of this map. I mean, the killing edge's position alone...

ey0hwl1G_o.pngbLNlwOIB_o.png
I like how they don't specify which one. But it's obviously someone who hasn't met Julian yet. Because of Matthis being on the bench with him last chapter, and everyone else meeting him in chapter 3... I'd say that leaves the Wolfguard. So I'll blame Vyland. Actually make him relevant for once.
Jn7pHRLX_o.pngfI4yMGyP_o.pngWMmOLuyO_o.pngCePVeTy8_o.png
Let's see. Jagen's a Paladin again, because there's way too many archers and mages on this map. Wolf's now a general because of that sweet defense... but consequently can't use a steel bow anymore. Abel's taken the Gae Buidhe. We buy a fire tome in case I ever want to use Merric and Wendell at the same time... which won't be this chapter, as I've decided to bring my mounted units to try and intercept the thieves. Meaning Matthis and Ukyo are back with a vengeance.
N851Kn5b_o.png3TdW7i4p_o.png
Speaking of Matthis, he's taken Vyland's steel lance, Wolf's Iron sword, and Jagen's vulnerary. In case Abel level's weapon rank in the chapter, Jagen's carrying the spare silver lance to potentially trade to him.
Jg54Vnvb_o.pngoLJ0VQbW_o.pngbbaKxtNa_o.pngQbQ6ieqm_o.png
So his plan is to prepare to withdraw.... in the most cut off part of the castle? Is there a secret passageway I don't know about? Never mind. Also I like how he literally has thieves in his employ to make off with the treasure. Does he really expect to ever see any of it again? Not that it matters, because he's not going to be alive after the chapter.
Matthis: Sir Ukyo! Wait a moment.
Ukyo: Matthis, I've asked you before not to call me that. I'm not one of Prince Marth's knights.
Matthis: I'm sorry sir. I just wanted to thank you before the battle. Thanks to our sparring matches, I feel a bit less queasy thinking about the front lines.
Ukyo: You give yourself too little credit. I couldn't throw a spear to save my life, and yet you're a natural. If anything, I could take lessons from you.
Matthis: But you fight like a man posessed. It's as if you don't fear death. I wish I had your courage.
Ukyo: Matthis, you don't know what you wish for. It's not a thing to admire.
Matthis: You're right. I must put my fear behind me. I'll lead the charge.
Ukyo: Wait! That's not what I meant! MATTHIS! MATTHIS!
zNWLf35w_o.pngREV79fcx_o.png
True to his word, Matthis leads the charge, and equips the steel lance. Jagen gets positioned and barriered up, the idea being that he should be able to kill the elfire mage next turn.
HXeUeRiJ_o.pngBigEui27_o.png
Braving the 1% crit risk, Matthis doubles the knight. Not bad at all. The training really paid off.

cGvULKd2_o.pngoT37kbSe_o.pngCmje8XOD_o.pngJa05JwiK_o.png
Wolf moves to block the chokepoint, leaving room for Barst to Jagen for Marth... who didn't need it because he procs a crit. Well he's due for a level. Ready for another disappointment?
9ny3rA4p_o.png2s8oWiZi_o.png
He must have taken all the jokes about his strength being less than Caeda's personally. He finally did it. He broke the strength curse after 5 chapters. Also he can now wield a C rank swords. Not that that's gonna do him much good.

iVrQ2NRw_o.pngiMpktJtp_o.pngngnIyUL1_o.pngSJK6T8gL_o.png
Wendell heals Matthis. At this point, I realize a problem. Jagen's just shy of doubling the mage. Meaning my plan to kill him isn't gonna work. So I have Caeda do it instead. The idea being to position Jagen above the knight (and damage the archer) and Matthis between the knight and Caeda. This way, regardless of who the knight attacks, he won't move, and therefore with him and Jagen blocking both points the archer could hit Caeda from, she's safe.
JDMLZlzr_o.png
Matthis takes the vulnerary, as I calculate the combined total of the damage of the knight and archer at 23, and thus he needs the extra hp. See the problem?
qA8aHDo3_o.pnglgqb6fmQ_o.pngl3LAzUfK_o.png
It hit me like a freight train that Jagen's max hp is 23. If they both attack the guy, he's done. Except... looking at this... I just realized Jagen's got an extra point of defense on Matthis.... he'd have been fine... I wasted a combined total of a vulnerary use, a warp staff charge, and a barrier charge(which proved un-needed because Caeda got the mage) on this brain fart of a strategy. I suppose Lena got resistance out of it. So that's something. That said.. I feel kind of like an idiot in hindsight.
JH3LEN0J_o.pngFe28Qc2h_o.png
Anyway, Ukyo and Cain set up to bait the archers into attacking them, so Wolf takes two less attacks this turn. (Because even though only one of them will hit him, which ever one will double). Julian opens the jail cell.
2U8KuBeT_o.pngQDh7j5J6_o.pnge0W5q7Nz_o.pnglnGuC9SD_o.png
The enemy thief takes the Seraph robe to flee... but given the fact the only thing that's between me and him is a knight Caeda can one shot, I'm not worried. Wolf has an iron bow equipped so he doesn't wast time countering the knight with the iron lance he borrowed from Roshea. Ukyo and Cain do the intended job of drawing the archers away, giving me one safe spot to heal Wolf from. But I'll need two.
H2wcDrZm_o.pngRBNnm8xJ_o.png
Matthis concludes the enemy phase by dodging and doubling this knight (proving the AI would've targetted Matthis first over Jagen). I swear... That vulnerary was totally unneeded, and so was the warp. And the barrier. I've now proved it twice over.
tSyyWWlp_o.pngrZyBuFv3_o.pngrpYqCmyk_o.pngpUb7usss_o.png
Caeda finishes off what Matthis started, and Abel helps her switch to an iron lance while blocking off a thief, taking a cheap shot at him, and getting a nice level. He's now 1 HP, 1 defence, and 2 weapon ranks off catching or exceeding Jagen everywhere. Also 1 movement and promoted utility. So point is Jagen's still useful. It's just Abel's now comparable in some areas.
cgnoSfLZ_o.pngOd54pLYR_o.pngkBnCayEu_o.png4Y1E2Hz8_o.png
Matthis finishes off the thief Abel started, seeing as he's been doing good work today. Jagen Jagens for Ukyo (and in the process blocks off seraph robe thief), who could use the extra experience after missing a chapter. Wendell heals Wolf back to full HP so he can continue choking the point.
Y9IKlgZt_o.png6eEHqmCc_o.png1gtLlHsy_o.pngKPIZlKLx_o.png
Thief has his sword, and can't open the door to his cell. Sounds legit.

m7U1vcDA_o.pngNmrs16Qr_o.png1hbhQBgX_o.png8y0wTIDV_o.png
Note the eyes he makes as he says that. Either he's skeptical, or trying to seduce Julian. This being Rickard, I can't tell.

8hXnkx1j_o.pngYPtDC9mC_o.pngY5vTkX9x_o.pngeLDAmH6L_o.png
w0gbyIjm_o.png
We're fighting for the future of the continent so... Rickard. Future king of Grust.

rTsYnlGh_o.png
Speaking of taking a cut... Barst sets up with his hand-axe because I want to get rid of these archers so Wolf can choke the point indefinitely.
LGw8vXwU_o.png7qhVpaca_o.png3CDObgLu_o.pngj2BgkWYs_o.png
We watch a thief swipe a killing edge, he can keep it. It's not worth a unit's life, and I've already wasted a warp use this chapter. Wolf takes a hit from the knight, and two from an archer. He gives the archer one back.
x5tf5MtQ_o.png13rEvf0o_o.png
Barst performs exaxely as planned.

nFoO1b94_o.pngj8Ai8anC_o.pngg5mAXyNN_o.png
Enemy phase being done, I heal up Cain, Wold and Barst. Then I wait. Note that one of the cavs has made the severe error of blocking off one of the enemy archers from their curate in his bid to get to through the chokepoint. This means, Barst should be able to finish the first archer. Also, because of the cavalier's position I can heal Wolf with two healers without risk. Wolf is now unbreakable.
TPmVgsVq_o.pngqMNuSZnR_o.pngSIIDUREO_o.pnge64bNIMy_o.png
Though it sure doesn't look like it right now. I mean, he's taken a pretty bad beating while I set this up. Barst almost finishes the archer, but doesn't quite. The damage is inexaxet. The formation I apparently didn't screencap to block off Seraph robe thief succeeds in making him attack Ogma in a bid to break through. I also evidentally forgot to cap it, but the curate heals the archer targeting Wolf. Fine. I can still finish the other.
mLHM6gkU_o.pngkylKS3Xw_o.pngxLBGjlBU_o.pnge9jlo2Mr_o.png
First the healers do their work. Wendell takes the most risky spot, as the archers don't double him in the event the cavalier should move. I don't believe they would, but I wasted a warp charge on paranoia already. So, you know. This is reasonable in comparison. Matthis chips the other thief. It's well known Matthis doesn't like thieves, so it's nice to see that manifest in gameplay.
l2mLqbTk_o.pngskI2ALDW_o.pngo2J5ebnM_o.pngq8DXorwJ_o.png
Caeda... does the honors of finishing him. Mostly because I wanted her to get the seraph robe. You'll see why later. The level containing strength is an unexpected bonus (the strength, not the level itself). She's once more ahead of Marth, and now equal to Matthis. She keeps this up and those wing spear forges become mighty unnecessary. Also Rickard gets a Bullion that he'll be taking to the armory outside.
ISbuTp10_o.pngMKCj0PlA_o.png
At this point, I got a bit sick of screencapping things involving Wolf, because same thing every turn... and we know he can't die with two healers on him. But Barst gets a cut of the axetion as he lodges a blade in the archer's head. I think I'm done with axe puns this chapter. I'm starting to sound like a Berwick character. Anywaay, he's now got a lot of 11s in his stats, and a couple 7s. Seems like he's going into advertising for a certain franchise.
0of288Jc_o.pngG6owKfqn_o.pngmUIwBPA6_o.pngi17MPTy0_o.png
Wendell and Wrys heal Wolf as usual, the triple double-u being an invincible blockade. Wrys gets resistance and a weapon level from it. So now he can actually use a warp staff. Barst gets healed by Lena. Now we're removing the other archer. If we bait him to the same spot his comrade died in, the moronic cavalier will continue to prevent him being healed.
52xUnfnE_o.pngEzeHDn5h_o.png
Caeda uses the Seraph Robe, (which is the obvious part of why I had her finish the thief but not the main part). The thief with the killing edge escapes. Well, there's the first enemy I haven't killed all game. If every enemy were so easy to deal with.
Sg7oFcAx_o.png4DkVYxS7_o.png
Barst sucessfully baits the other archer. Now Wolf only needs one healer. Axcellent. I did it again didn't I?
QDZ5LjCi_o.png5Hc1TXDF_o.pngyZ6dzT2T_o.pngIC2jLMpv_o.png
For some reason, the curate moved behind the knight. Maybe he was trying to get to the archer? In retrospect I wish I thought on that. Regardless, I move Barst at this point, Lena heals him and gets more magic and resistance. My healers sure are levelling fast this run. Guess the extra work's good for them.
d5O5tHig_o.png9qAAceC2_o.pnginI0ezpy_o.pngAuaM8L2N_o.png
Matthis finishes the archer, because he could survive an enemy phase if he missed, and I thought he'd level. Except he was just off. Wendell heals Barst some more. Abel chips the silver lance cavalier who inadverdantly caused both archers to die, making sure they couldn't break through the choke point. Rickard journeys towards the armory.
hTQD56ki_o.png
Wolf was left with the Iron lance by trade to test what it'd do to the knight, now that I didn't need to worry about archers. Next to nothing apparently.
XNia2qgQ_o.pngDJ2GuMTy_o.pngTfekOiYD_o.png5yKB3lLR_o.png
Now the curate's fled in enemy phase, I decide to try and bait him back by doing some more damage. So Abel continues his work on the Silver Lance cavalier, Wolf targets the other one, and Wendell decides to roast the enemy knight's inability to break through against a foe who didn't even fight back. The roast is ruined, when Wendell fails to gain a single stat in his level up.
81aC2gBe_o.png
The usual enemy phase. Why I even bother screenshotting this I don't know. Wallf can't fall. Yet I didn't cap the curate healing silver lance cav. Where's my priorities.
LYGPcKz5_o.pngExX8BHNC_o.png8QO4w5Ys_o.png7JtOj7lc_o.png
Wolf chips one cav, and Matthis starts work on the knight for the exp to get a level. He gets skill and the mandatory hp. The only disappoinment from Matthis all chapter? Go figure. Julian opens the chest for physic. Matthis is on the verge of being able to kill the knight.
47PADok4_o.png69FP1cEz_o.pngPrqlreBe_o.png
Ogma I continue healing units, as Lena gets the physic off Julian and a level from healing Ogma. Now the breathrough begins next turn. Also Rickard gets rid of the bullion. Guess he did get a cut after all. He also buys a couple steel lances and a javelin.
9zX8Yxgh_o.pngrvR8S75J_o.pngRXm8Esyc_o.pngLHhmmUlK_o.png
Matthis finishes off the knight. This allows Wolf to advance and javelin the curate. Which in turn lets's Barst advance and weaken the steel lance cav while switching Wolf back to his iron bow.
VgqHO4lR_o.pngqAdgVpjn_o.pngw9JsG9EU_o.pngwrA2uXRv_o.png
Julian gets the armorslayer, I once more don't bother to cap the attack on Wolf, because foregone conclusion. Anyway, realizing that Wolf can't hold the fort against these guys forever, I have Matthis and Barst take very unsuccessful "worth a shots" before Wolf starts a journey elsewhere with Wrys.
0rEojS5I_o.pngm9jRCtUx_o.pngz84Dp8yi_o.pngzGjnoqkW_o.png
Marth finishes off the steel lance cav, and Caeda, Jagen and Ukyo team up to make sure Silver lance cav never gets to use his fancy weapon. Tough luck there pal.
bCJlHhfD_o.pngBtVKZAzt_o.pngzlLkN5Z1_o.png
Speaking of tough luck, Ukyo must be feeling the strain from his tuberculosis, because he's literally only got hp out of that level. Also a key that silver lance cav dropped. But he would have got that anyway. While that's more than half the screencaps, I figure that's a good place to end it. Because it's the entire "battle of the choke point" phase done.
Join me next update (which won't be far away) to see what happens when we go on the offensive.

21 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Ukyo: You give yourself too little credit. I couldn't throw a spear to save my life, and yet you're a natural. If anything, I could take lessons from you.
Matthis: But you fight like a man posessed. It's as if you don't fear death. I wish I had your courage.

Matthis is larger brain than I.

40 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Sounds like an Auffle idea.

Oof.

41 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I'm actually impressed you're trying an Ironman this early in your FE career... even if I can see it being part of what's screwed you over.

I thought I was slow to start ironmanning, actually. Plus, I don't think I've gotten any better since starting.

42 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

It really does help to have more prior knowledge when you're going for a challenge run. Which is why I wasn't game to run this as an Ironman... I just know that H5's endgame is nasty with forged brave-weapons.

Forged brave weapons? Sounds not easy!

44 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Pretty sure there's a user with that in their signature. Whether they've been active in years I don't remember.

Someone else on the website has an IQ over 150, then!

48 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I wish you stretched his growths instead

Can't be done! He's gamebreaking enough as-is!

48 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Gordin. Forever on 5 points of strength. I wonder if that line was intentionally referencing his base strength? Nah.

Prolly was. Even in the non-canon anime, he was terrible.

53 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

My name may have been more poetic than I thought. Because this run sure is making me appreciate her more.

OOOOOoOOoOoOoH! Fanfycshon time!

54 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

8QO4w5Ys_o.png

Fantasticamazing!

55 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

skI2ALDW_o.png

This Caeda is like the second coming of Florina! She's gonna keep this up!

Spoiler
1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I like how you specifically described Dolph, when Macellan is literally right next to him with 3 speed and a 20% growth. Or Roger a bit earlier with the same speed but a 10% growth in his default.  Guess what I'm saying is knights have it rough in this game. As usual.

Oh my fucking god! I wasn't even trying to describe anyone! AND THERE'S EVEN WORSE UNITS! omg... well is the game well designed? Maybe not really, FE12 on the other hand is... amazing.

It's a Shadow Dragon tradition. Empty levels with every chapter.

You know, this game should also be called "Clerics with -3 base magic and 15% magic growth; the game"

I hope you didn't mean this part, because I have some mixed feelings.

Well damn, my luck is worth for ass.

Wolf, yes. Sedgar no. See I actually like Wolf... plus he's slightly (though only slightly), less broken than Sedgar due to less levels to grow and a slight chance of missing defense.

Oh I see. I like both because broken-ness is my passion. That being said, I do wonder how these units level up really because in theory they should be bad average wise and yet they turn out so good despite mediocre bases. But I guess that's what happens when you get lucky levels every level which is likely, but fuck me if my Matthew didn't just get 1 speed from 4 levels with 70% growth! Or how Rebecca's 60% growth NEVER PROCS.

I'm sure I'll find that point useful down the line. Probably.

YEAH!

Also my dog proof-reads these for me. I pay him in ear-rubs, because dogs have a lot of nerve endings in their ears, so they tend to like that.

Your dog proof-reads these? I am so confused... the nerve endings thing is interesting though.

I wish I knew. I should have asked instead of making a dumb joke about it.

The joke is fine, it's hilarious lmao.

Last night I had a dream... a dream where there was a game in the series with a convoy unit like Merlinus... except he used a camel, and for some reason had a ton of move in desert maps. Which made him great for finding hidden stuff, but useless in a fight.

That would actually be very cool.

You just reminded me of what happened today. Basically I took a nap, uncharacteristically of me to do so, at 11 PM because I was tired. I've been sleeping late recently and so I have put my alarm at 7:00 to force myself to get up early and hopefully survive until like 10 to sleep early again. But I end up so tired I took a nap today and what happened was the weirdest thing ever. I had my mind start dreaming or forming up weird stories and stuff, it typically happens when I just woke up and stay in bed because I'm a lazy fucker so there I go dreaming weird ass shit and then I'm still not fully asleep and aware of it, but I willfully remain in that state.

After whatever the fuck my dream was about, since I only remember the end part, I decided to get up and made a weird shriek sound on purpose and moved forward with success. I say "with success" because after that half second of movement I suddenly couldn't move, it was super weird that I managed to move at first and then just couldn't for 2 seconds but then I could again. THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME TWICE, NOT YET A FULL PARALYSIS BUT DAMN IT'S WEIRD, AM I ABLE TO CONTROL MY BODY BETTER EVEN THOUGH I DON'T SLEEPWALK? OR WAS IT JUST BECAUSE I WASN'T FULLY ASLEEP? 

This was insanely weird, but fascinating! I almost kinda knew when I voluntarily decided to get back up that it would happen; it's why I moved and made a sound on purpose, so I could not get paralysed, I wish to know what happened. Now that I'm trying to rebalance my clock, I could try this more times and experiment further.

TL; DR
Nino is paralyzed, he may not be able to move. Turn 1 he did, turn 2 he didn't and turn 3 and forward he could move freely once again.

The traditional start to the update. The last screen from the prior chapter.

I'm starting to like this gag, it's like nice because it tells me exactly where I left off, where as otherwise it could feel as if we're just rushing ahead too fast. I could make a paint picture explaining how exaclty but honestly this reply is already too long.

So his plan is to prepare to withdraw....

WHY? YOU HAVE A CASTLE UNDER CONTROL! WHY???????????? literally unplayable Shadow Dragon 0/10000 bad game 😠

cGvULKd2_o.png
Wolf moves to block the chokepoint

You know, LPing SD showed me just how good it is! I think next time I lp I will take animations off, just to show the map and where I am. Or I could do what @Eltosian Kadath does in FE6 and take screen captures of the battle forecast, genius time-saver really.

9ny3rA4p_o.png
He must have taken all the jokes about his strength being less than Caeda's personally. He finally did it. He broke the strength curse after 5 chapters.

ANd 5 levels too, jesus christ Marth FINALLY!

This way, regardless of who the knight attacks, he won't move, and therefore with him and Jagen blocking both points the archer could hit Caeda from, she's safe.

What makes you so certain he won't move? It's a genius idea but I rarely see the enemy not move and attack.

Rickard. Future king of Grust.

Is this going to be like in this comic where the thief wants to form his state of thieveria? https://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/03/02/episode-001-were-going-where/

skI2ALDW_o.png
The level containing strength is an unexpected bonus (the strength, not the level itself). 

So you did get good luck! I mean my Florina decided to be absolute ass and not get good stats. Ugh.

Anywaay, he's now got a lot of 11s in his stats, and a couple 7s. Seems like he's going into advertising for a certain franchise.

FE11? Makes sense because that's this game but 7? Oh no... Barst don't mislead people into playing that game!

Speaking of tough luck, Ukyo must be feeling the strain from his tuberculosis

About that, from where is Ukyo?

40 minutes ago, Benice said:

I thought I was slow to start ironmanning, actually. Plus, I don't think I've gotten any better since starting.

Also you impress me, I haven't yet beaten HHM despite playing the game for 2 years! It saddens me honestly because it's said to be one of the easiest games ever. I'm currently at CoD. I am proud of how BBD was so easy once I came back for it after FE6 HM rap*ng me so hard. Guess it does mean I'm better than before.

Spoiler

I have to wonder if the King of Aurelis was only invented as an afterthought when someone realized Hardin could potentially die in the chapter, given they hadn't yet started with units retreating when defeated so they could take part in the story. It'd explain why he's got no name.

I mean, his only other appearance in the series is yielding Aurelis to Marth while essentially saying "I'm completely useless, you go do things."

Probably the one from Archanea Saga.

I'll have his head on a plate. And not only his head, but the heads of his family and relatives as well. That's a lot of plates I'll be needing.

...seriously though, can I just say that I love how a throwaway from the exceedingly obscure Archanea Saga has such amazing lines? From the line about the plates to his battle convo with Minerva, dude's pretty amazing. Also the fact that he's named Ruben. Kaga killed me first.

Reminds me of my neighbour's old dog (or my old neighbour's dog, as they moved). He was incredibly unintelligent. I mean the kind of unintelligent where you could put a single piece of fencing between him and their other dog, tie said other dog up, and he'd just stare through the fence, unaware he could go around. One day, he discovered a baby bird that had fallen from a tree. He started off flinging the thing into the air... only to be chased off when it jumped at him on landing. He full blown panic-ran from it. A baby bird. His stupidity being the only thing that saved it. Mind, that's all more to do with the words "failing" and a "bird".

Pfffhwahahahahah... this story's pretty hilarious. That bird must've had capped luck!

I did mean Ernst. I mean, the deceased here said we'd never take the castle while he stands. Ernst remained standing on death. Ergo, if he were Ernst, we'd never have taken the castle. Then again, if he were Ernst my team would have lost.

Right, right. To be honest, both Ernst and Barbarossa would've wiped the floor with your team. Did you see the guy's stats? No wonder it took a fort exploding and crumbling all around him to kill him...

A belching elf.

Oh, please... no, that's far too crass for one with such impeccable style! I mean, have you seen those jackets? They're so awesome that all three of them wear identical ones! Why fix something that ain't broken, after all?

Plot twist. Bantu identifies as a loli. Nowi is actually Bantu in the future after surgery.

You... why, you... Gyaaaaaaah!

That's going to accompany the horseman with a critrate in my nightmares...

Ironically, I was originally intending to do this on a more manageable difficulty (H3).. before my brother gave me a speech about never knowing what you can achieve if you don't try. I have no idea what he was supposed to be encouraging me to do because he didn't actually bother on context as he was drunk. But it inspired me anyway.

A most riveting origin story.

Hanna-Barbara are time-thieves and Dick Dastardly is an obvious rip-off of Waluigi, because they both have the same mustache, wear purple and are losers.

You know too much. Disney will have you eliminated if you keep this up.

Extracting the treasures before they fall into enemy hands. The true challenge of this map. I mean, the killing edge's position alone...

Thankfully, all the thieves have to escape north, so it's as easy as warping someone there to intercept them.

The problem is that the thieves will attack if they can't reach their escape point...

Jagen's carrying the spare silver lance to potentially trade to him.

Friendly reminder that you could just have him take it off the convoy from Marth.

Ukyo: Matthis, I've asked you before not to call me that. I'm not one of Prince Marth's knights.
Matthis: I'm sorry sir. I just wanted to thank you before the battle. Thanks to our sparring matches, I feel a bit less queasy thinking about the front lines.

Very Matthis. This is a man who will grow to one-shot Camus, mark my words.

...Okay, maybe don't mark them, but I believe in him.

He must have taken all the jokes about his strength being less than Caeda's personally.

Goddamnit... what do I do with the running gag, now?

...Sorry, Marth! I can't give, uh... talismans! Come back when you're a little, MMMMMM resistant... er...?

I wasted a combined total of a vulnerary use, a warp staff charge, and a barrier charge(which proved un-needed because Caeda got the mage) on this brain fart of a strategy.

At least nobody died. As long as nobody dies, just count your lucky stars.

He's now 1 HP, 1 defence, and 2 weapon ranks off catching or exceeding Jagen everywhere. Also 1 movement and promoted utility. So point is Jagen's still useful. It's just Abel's now comparable in some areas.

Jagen is absolutely useful, but whenever I play this game I can't help but feel that Jagen's perhaps a wee bit underpowered. I know this will sound unbecoming of the filthy elitist scum I am, but... sheesh, those bases of his are horrendous. As far as I'm concerned, Arran has him beat in the Jeiganing department. Ironic, given that Arran doesn't last as long, because he can't just be tossed a forged ridersbane to one-shot 75% of the game's enemies.

Rickard. Future king of Grust.

I mean, I'd take him over Lang.

Axemplary performance.

14 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

It's well known Matthis doesn't like thieves, so it's nice to see that manifest in gameplay.

Well, he formed a truce with Julian to look for Lena when she was kidnapped in book 2. Learn from Matthis, everyone. He's willing to leave his grudges behind for the sake of his sister.

skI2ALDW_o.pngo2J5ebnM_o.pngq8DXorwJ_o.png
Caeda... does the honors of finishing him. Mostly because I wanted her to get the seraph robe. You'll see why later. The level containing strength is an unexpected bonus (the strength, not the level itself). She's once more ahead of Marth, and now equal to Matthis. She keeps this up and those wing spear forges become mighty unnecessary.

Why does everyone get the most blessed pegasus knights?

He gets skill and the mandatory hp. The only disappoinment from Matthis all chapter? Go figure.

I still believe. I still believe.

Join me next update (which won't be far away) to see what happens when we go on the offensive.

Hopefully not death.

12 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

You know, this game should also be called "Clerics with -3 base magic and 15% magic growth; the game"

I like how you say this right after praising FE12. You know, the game with "-2 base magic" Yubello. Heck, this game's clerics all have 1 magic base! It's the class's base that is horrendously low!

Don't get me wrong, though, I absolutely agree that FE12 is amazing. I mean, FE12 is my favorite FE if you don't count KagaSaga! And I've used Yubello before. He's... He's funny, all right.

Funny enough, the Gae Buidhe allegedly inflicted wounds that one could not recover from in celtic lore. The Gae Bolg, on the other hand would certainly kill anyone it was thrown at. Differing accounts were given as to whether the spear had seven heads (as in the points except running down the shaft) or opened up when inside someone, but regardless it had to be cut out of it's victims. That said, accounts usually had it go through the stomach of whoever (hence it's name translating roughly to "belly spear". Either one's apt, given that every time I've used the thing it's killed, and the dead's wounds never whiten to scars.

I confess that I had no idea Gae Buidhe was an actual mythological weapon until now. I assumed it was just a "Bland Name Product" for the Gae Bolg wielded by Cu Chulainn when I made that comment. As somewhat of a mythology geek, I feel ashamed...

You know, that would be really cool to see in a real Fire Emblem game.
Make it happen, IntSys!

So I'll blame Vyland. Actually make him relevant for once.

Who?
This makes me wonder if anyone ever actually went through the trouble of using the guy...

Let's hope Matthis didn't just trigger a death flag for himself somewhere down the line there.

Braving the 1% crit risk, Matthis doubles the knight. Not bad at all. The training really paid off.

Doubling with a Steel Lance... wow. I assumed the thing would get him doubled, honestly.

He must have taken all the jokes about his strength being less than Caeda's personally. He finally did it. He broke the strength curse after 5 chapters. Also he can now wield a C rank swords. Not that that's gonna do him much good.

Hooray! He now can hold his own against Shiida in arm wrestli-- okay, I'll stop, promise.
C-rank swords at least gets him access to, if I remember correctly, Killing Edges, and Wyrmslayers (also Armorslayers, but he has his Rapier, so...). I'd say that's pretty good, all things considered. Unless of course you don't want to use him for combat at all. Which I can understand.

Except... looking at this... I just realized Jagen's got an extra point of defense on Matthis.... he'd have been fine... I wasted a combined total of a vulnerary use, a warp staff charge, and a barrier charge(which proved un-needed because Caeda got the mage) on this brain fart of a strategy. I suppose Lena got resistance out of it. So that's something. That said.. I feel kind of like an idiot in hindsight.

I say it's better to take too much precaution than none at all.
There is an idiom for this, but I can't remember it's exact words at the moment.

He's now 1 HP, 1 defence, and 2 weapon ranks off catching or exceeding Jagen everywhere. Also 1 movement and promoted utility. So point is Jagen's still useful. It's just Abel's now comparable in some areas.

You could say he is now Abel to substitute for Jagen in certain areas.

We watch a thief swipe a killing edge, he can keep it.

On this episode of "The Bullying of Marth":
Marth: "Hey, strategist guy! I have a C-rank in swords now and I could use that Killing E--- oh".

Jokes aside, I think that was a good call. That Warp use can come in handy elsewhere. And I think if you really need Killing Edges, there should be plenty of opportunities to buy them.

The true Barst experience.

inexaxet [...] axetion

The axe puns are still going strong, I see!

Caeda... does the honors of finishing him. Mostly because I wanted her to get the seraph robe. You'll see why later.

If I had to wager a guess, it has something to do with her getting one-shot by the boss (or a boss that's coming up) without it.

The level containing strength is an unexpected bonus (the strength, not the level itself). She's once more ahead of Marth,

Marth's hopes of carrying Shiida's books for her were short lived.

Also Rickard gets a Bullion that he'll be taking to the armory outside.

I can only imagine the confusion of the armory clerk when a thief comes in to give him things instead of taking them...

Anywaay, he's now got a lot of 11s in his stats, and a couple 7s. Seems like he's going into advertising for a certain franchise.

Barst thinks ahead to what he'll do once the war is over. Guy's pretty smart, I'll give him that.

Wendell and Wrys heal Wolf as usual, the triple double-u being an invincible blockade.

If I had any talent to draw, I'd make a team emblem for these three.

The thief with the killing edge escapes.

*sad Marth noises*

Axcellent. I did it again didn't I?

Yes. Yes, you did.

He also buys a couple steel lances and a javelin.

Meanwhile, the clerk stares at the thief, his confusion ever increasing.

Speaking of tough luck, Ukyo must be feeling the strain from his tuberculosis, because he's literally only got hp out of that level.

His health increased!
Wait...

Looking forward to the next part of the chapter, where that General guy tries to retreat through the imaginary secret escape tunnel.
Come to think of it, he calls for retreat, yet he never moves an inch. Poor guy really must have deluded himself into believing that a secret passage will open up if he stays there for a certain number of turns...

Spoiler
15 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like how you say this right after praising FE12. You know, the game with "-2 base magic" Yubello. Heck, this game's clerics all have 1 magic base! It's the class's base that is horrendously low!

Don't get me wrong, though, I absolutely agree that FE12 is amazing. I mean, FE12 is my favorite FE if you don't count KagaSaga! And I've used Yubello before. He's... He's funny, all right.

Hey don't call me a hypocrite, because I am!

Ok so I didn't know that. I just don't know too much FE12 trivia. But I praised it because I tried it out on Lunatic (first time I ever TOUCH FE12) and jesus christ everything is so... beautifully designed! But anyways I'm calling FE11 what I did and calling FE12 "The game with enemies placed in interesting positions with sufficient strength and resources for you; truly the pinnacle of IntSys design. The Masterpiece Game"

Edited by This boi uses Nino

Part 8- The one with that thing the series is named after.

Replies

Spoiler
On 6/17/2020 at 7:35 AM, Benice said:

Matthis is larger brain than I.
I choose to remain neutral on this one. Mostly because I make it a point not to needlessly insult either my readers or units. Except Hardin, Castor, Barst when he misses a 95%, Marth when he misses his growths, Merric when it looks like he's gonna die, Wendell due to his starting on the enemy team arbitrarily, Bord and Darros for their lack of axeurracy, Draug's survivability in chapter 2 and 3, Gordin, Roshea's speed growth, and probably some other character I'm forgetting.

Oof.
I mean, I missed the chance to pun that name when Mangs played the game. So why not do it here?

Considering that I didn't try Iron-manning until nearly a decade into my run with the series (longer if you count  that one time I played a borrowed FE 7 for two/three maps before giving up because Lyn mode tutorials dragged on beyond my attention span)

Forged brave weapons? Sounds not easy!
Hence why I want a nice sturdy character who can take a few hits. Like Wolf.

Someone else on the website has an IQ over 150, then!
That brings back high-school memories.

Can't be done! He's gamebreaking enough as-is!
Seriously, the rate he's levelling, and the resistance he's getting... he's going to be damn handy in the not so distant future.

Prolly was. Even in the non-canon anime, he was terrible.
Is it sad I took him to end-game my first time through, because I stubbornly thought he had to get a decent level eventually? He never did.

OOOOOoOOoOoOoH! Fanfycshon time!
I hope not. That'd make zero sense canon-wise.

Fantasticamazing!
I mean, his base skill was pretty bad. He could use the extra hit.

This Caeda is like the second coming of Florina! She's gonna keep this up!
Difference is, she's on a 20% strength growth. Marth's on a 50%... if you switched their growth rates... what they've managed would make actual sense.
As it stands, checking her Averages, she's literally .8 behind her level 20 strength. Because non-whole numbers that could be either up or down. On the other hand, Marth's 1.5 behind his expected level 6 strength... and equal or ahead in other areas.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:16 AM, JimmyBeans said:

All aboard the Matthis train. This train ain't got brakes! This run is gold btw.
There's no brakes on the Matthis train, because there's no breaks when training Matthis.
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:18 AM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

Oh my fucking god! I wasn't even trying to describe anyone! AND THERE'S EVEN WORSE UNITS! omg... well is the game well designed? Maybe not really, FE12 on the other hand is... amazing.
I mean remembering that Ruben did kill Medeus with that worse unit. On H3. If you can use such an unviable unit for such a monumental task, I'd argue anyone can be used to effect in this game. Also the fact JimmyBeans, the poster above you, used Roger on H5 as a pirate. I should note, the personal speed stat on both Roger and Dolph is 5, as the class default is zero. This actually makes them rather quick when reclassed (as we saw with Draug). So, you throw them into Mercenary and they'll have 15 speed at base. Or Fighter and they'll be at 12. Or pirate/hunter and 11 (take 2 from each for Draug and Macellan). Catch is... they all have rather lacking base strength and defense... so mercenary isn't a very viable option.

Wrys has a 20%, Lena has 25%. Actually... if it weren't for the instant C-rank, and hammerne, Lena wouldn't be much better than Wrys. She's got 5% on him in magic, skill and res. Skill isn't going to be very important for a healer. He's got 5% on her in HP, which also won't matter in a healer. With speed being 20% on both... that's a non-factor, as is their 0% in strength and defense. The biggest (numerical) difference is Lena's higher base and growth in luck (60% vs 40%). Something that again shouldn't matter on a healer, as they should in theory be avoiding combat. Lena's definitely better over-all, but not as much as people might think.

Well damn, my luck is worth for ass.
I mean, I did break the Marth curse, and Caeda got a good level. As did Abel. Matthis, Ukyo and Wendell got screwed over though.

Oh I see. I like both because broken-ness is my passion. That being said, I do wonder how these units level up really because in theory they should be bad average wise and yet they turn out so good despite mediocre bases. But I guess that's what happens when you get lucky levels every level which is likely, but fuck me if my Matthew didn't just get 1 speed from 4 levels with 70% growth! Or how Rebecca's 60% growth NEVER PROCS.
I mean, I've been complaining about 50% growth Marth deciding his strength doesn't matter. Thing about random growths. They help make each playthrough a truly unique experience. A unit who is bad in one run can be the MVP in another just by virtue of RNG. Which can alter entire maps worth of strategy. It's honestly one of the best things for replayability.

YEAH!

Your dog proof-reads these? I am so confused... the nerve endings thing is interesting though.
He most certainly does.

Spoiler

9558g6x.jpg

The joke is fine, it's hilarious lmao.

I mean, as I said above, Wrys growth rates are actually pretty good when compared to Lena (or Maria for that matter, as she's not even got the magic advantage, having that +5 in speed instead, and even more luck). Then you take a look at Wendell and realize the guy literally has the same magic growth again... and so does Boah... and Gotoh... does everyone have roughly 20% magic growth?

That would actually be very cool.

You just reminded me of what happened today. Basically I took a nap, uncharacteristically of me to do so, at 11 PM because I was tired. I've been sleeping late recently and so I have put my alarm at 7:00 to force myself to get up early and hopefully survive until like 10 to sleep early again. But I end up so tired I took a nap today and what happened was the weirdest thing ever. I had my mind start dreaming or forming up weird stories and stuff, it typically happens when I just woke up and stay in bed because I'm a lazy fucker so there I go dreaming weird ass shit and then I'm still not fully asleep and aware of it, but I willfully remain in that state.

After whatever the fuck my dream was about, since I only remember the end part, I decided to get up and made a weird shriek sound on purpose and moved forward with success. I say "with success" because after that half second of movement I suddenly couldn't move, it was super weird that I managed to move at first and then just couldn't for 2 seconds but then I could again. THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME TWICE, NOT YET A FULL PARALYSIS BUT DAMN IT'S WEIRD, AM I ABLE TO CONTROL MY BODY BETTER EVEN THOUGH I DON'T SLEEPWALK? OR WAS IT JUST BECAUSE I WASN'T FULLY ASLEEP? 

This was insanely weird, but fascinating! I almost kinda knew when I voluntarily decided to get back up that it would happen; it's why I moved and made a sound on purpose, so I could not get paralysed, I wish to know what happened. Now that I'm trying to rebalance my clock, I could try this more times and experiment further.

TL; DR
Nino is paralyzed, he may not be able to move. Turn 1 he did, turn 2 he didn't and turn 3 and forward he could move freely once again.

I'd say it's a form of muscle atonia. See, in the sleeping state, the brain orders the production of chemicals that put the muscles into a relaxed state. This is to keep one from performing actions while they are asleep due to stimuli from dreams (hence sleep-walking and the like occurs when there is a fault and the atonia/relaxation does not occur). Catch is, some people (myself included) have it keep pumping on occasion even upon waking. This can result in sleep paralysis, or in the more extreme cases cataplexy. The former typically occurs when one has been asleep (like you described, as one doesn't necessarily wake up with it), and can come with hallucinations. Cataplexy, on the other hand, occurs in the day, when one is fully conscious in response to specific stimulus (laughing too hard, crying too hard, sudden terror). It also results in the muscles seizing. So, if I were to hazard a guess from my understanding of the matter (which isn't flawless) I'd say you woke between the body starting production of the chemicals mid-REM, and prior to them taking effect. Most likely early in the production.

I'm starting to like this gag, it's like nice because it tells me exactly where I left off, where as otherwise it could feel as if we're just rushing ahead too fast. I could make a paint picture explaining how exaclty but honestly this reply is already too long.
Kind of why I'm keeping it going at this point. I mean, I already did that one gag where I used a different one in part four to at the end of part three.

WHY? YOU HAVE A CASTLE UNDER CONTROL! WHY???????????? literally unplayable Shadow Dragon 0/10000 bad game 😠

I imagine because he knew he wasn't going to keep it under control for much longer, seeing as the gates were breached by now, and there were no reinforcements this map.

You know, LPing SD showed me just how good it is! I think next time I lp I will take animations off, just to show the map and where I am. Or I could do what @Eltosian Kadath does in FE6 and take screen captures of the battle forecast, genius time-saver really.

I mean, I do that when I want to really drive home a boss's ability. Or something similar.

ANd 5 levels too, jesus christ Marth FINALLY!
Tell me about it. Though, I am surprised when I remember he's not far behind average in the stat... because 50% of 5 is 2.5, meaning he should have got it twice. Maybe three times if I was lucky.

What makes you so certain he won't move? It's a genius idea but I rarely see the enemy not move and attack.
Well, the knight is already adjacent to both Jagen and Matthis. This means he has no reason to move, as regardless of which one he attacked, he can stay in place while. Mostly because if the A.I. is adjacent to it's chosen target, it doesn't move because the only reason for it to move would be so that the archer could reach Caeda... but the A.I. isn't programmed to worry about that. It's basically the same principle you exploit at a choke point if you want to keep the least damaging foe at the front while you kill everything that lines up behind it. Otherwise, that knight that was attacking Wolf at the choke point would have wised up, moved and let the silver lance cavalier at him. Then between him and the archer, Wolf would have died. But instead the knight stayed in place trying to break through a non-attacking Wolf, until the archers were gone and I could safely kill both enemy cavaliers.

Is this going to be like in this comic where the thief wants to form his state of thieveria? https://www.nuklearpower.com/2001/03/02/episode-001-were-going-where/
So is Rickard an elf?

So you did get good luck! I mean my Florina decided to be absolute ass and not get good stats. Ugh.
The RNG is a harsh mistress at times.

FE11? Makes sense because that's this game but 7? Oh no... Barst don't mislead people into playing that game!
You say... while having a username and avatar linked to the game. It's not like it's that bad a game. Flawed... yes, but bad?

About that, from where is Ukyo?
Either SNK's "Samurai Shodown/Samurai Spirits" (the Japanese name) series (they're 2D weapons based fighting games), or Japan in the years 1764 thru to his death in 1790 (which is arguably retconned for a game set in 1791, but I find that takes away from it). He originates from Umasagi Village, though that's not particularly relevant given he's wandering about in the games, what with the various demons and sorcerers causing havoc across Japan that he's helping to put a stop to.

Also you impress me, I haven't yet beaten HHM despite playing the game for 2 years! It saddens me honestly because it's said to be one of the easiest games ever. I'm currently at CoD. I am proud of how BBD was so easy once I came back for it after FE6 HM rap*ng me so hard. Guess it does mean I'm better than before.
If one learns from their mistakes it helps in the long run (an example of this can be seen with that silver lance accident in chapter two giving me a strategy I used throughout the next two chapters to stay alive). But it can also help to learn from others. I'd be lying if I didn't say some of my trade-based tricks were based off ideas I got from reading Saint Rubenio... whether he realizes it or not.

i forgot to update last the crit counter last time

On 6/17/2020 at 8:53 PM, Saint Rubenio said:
  Hide contents

I mean, his only other appearance in the series is yielding Aurelis to Marth while essentially saying "I'm completely useless, you go do things."
Which is pretty much my point. By then I figure they felt obligated to somehow re-use that asset, seeing as they needed it for the remake of FE1... where he could have been replaced with Hardin in every facet if the latter had the "retreat" trick later games use.

I'll have his head on a plate. And not only his head, but the heads of his family and relatives as well. That's a lot of plates I'll be needing.

...seriously though, can I just say that I love how a throwaway from the exceedingly obscure Archanea Saga has such amazing lines? From the line about the plates to his battle convo with Minerva, dude's pretty amazing. Also the fact that he's named Ruben. Kaga killed me first.
Is it bad I already have jokes for that in the event I ever do that chapter?

Pfffhwahahahahah... this story's pretty hilarious. That bird must've had capped luck!
Every incident with that dog was another endeavor in stupidity. The worst case being the time it almost got itself killed when it worked out instead of chasing cars by running after them, it could ambush one and run at it. Fortunately, in a case that could certainly be described as dumb luck, it survived with perplexingly little injury (as I recall, there was bruising, but no actual breakage or damage to organs). If the bird had luck capped, that damn dog had miracle equipped as well. That said, it was the only time that dog ever learned anything, because he never tried to catch a car again. Last I knew, the dog was still alive and well despite it's stupidity.

Right, right. To be honest, both Ernst and Barbarossa would've wiped the floor with your team. Did you see the guy's stats? No wonder it took a fort exploding and crumbling all around him to kill him...
True. But it doesn't really need to be pointed out. Both would give the stoutest FE character pause.

Oh, please... no, that's far too crass for one with such impeccable style! I mean, have you seen those jackets? They're so awesome that all three of them wear identical ones! Why fix something that ain't broken, after all?
I don't know. Ask the people who named him Belf.

You... why, you... Gyaaaaaaah!

That's going to accompany the horseman with a critrate in my nightmares...
I mean, it's impossible, because Nowi has a base thing which vaguely mentions meeting Bantu. Which not only tells us he's still around, but that I'm just being a douche.

A most riveting origin story.
It's a funny thing. His inspirational speech's motivations will forever be lost to his drunken mind. But I'll know they did something.

You know too much. Disney will have you eliminated if you keep this up.
Too bad I know Disney was cremated, not cryogenically frozen, and therefore can't do anything about that either.

Thankfully, all the thieves have to escape north, so it's as easy as warping someone there to intercept them.
Which would have been all well and good... except I honestly didn't want to use a warp use. Then I did anyway. Because I panicked over the prospect of Jagen dying.

The problem is that the thieves will attack if they can't reach their escape point...
Which is a lot worse on a difficulty where thieves aren't a total joke.

Friendly reminder that you could just have him take it off the convoy from Marth.
True. But, Marth isn't Abel to keep pace with Abel. Jagen is Abel to keep pace with Abel. So I figured it was a safer bet.

Very Matthis. This is a man who will grow to one-shot Camus, mark my words.

...Okay, maybe don't mark them, but I believe in him.
I can hope. At the very least, he made an excellent showing of himself this chapter. That unnecessary but helpful dodge. The doubling of knights. 1-2 range. All of it made him very well suited.

Goddamnit... what do I do with the running gag, now?

...Sorry, Marth! I can't give, uh... talismans! Come back when you're a little, MMMMMM resistant... er...?
I mean, Marth's still below average in strength, and certainly my least impressive unit over-all, between lack of access to silver swords, lack of access to a mount, and lack of 1-2 range.

At least nobody died. As long as nobody dies, just count your lucky stars.
I mean, the whole thing was because I was absolutely paranoid about death to the point of wasting resources to overcompensate. Then again for all I know if I didn't Matthis might have taken a crit. Except that barrier. Totally pointless.

Jagen is absolutely useful, but whenever I play this game I can't help but feel that Jagen's perhaps a wee bit underpowered. I know this will sound unbecoming of the filthy elitist scum I am, but... sheesh, those bases of his are horrendous. As far as I'm concerned, Arran has him beat in the Jeiganing department. Ironic, given that Arran doesn't last as long, because he can't just be tossed a forged ridersbane to one-shot 75% of the game's enemies.
Personally, I say if you gave Jagen all of one luck more he'd be better. Just because he'd not be at risk of dying from crits in chapter 1. I know there's other stats that'd be more useful. But low percent crits on Jagen are the scariest thing in the early game.

I mean, I'd take him over Lang.
I wonder if it'd mean he has cancer too.

Axemplary performance.
Shame a certain Happy Axe Man weren't in this game.

Well, he formed a truce with Julian to look for Lena when she was kidnapped in book 2. Learn from Matthis, everyone. He's willing to leave his grudges behind for the sake of his sister.
Funny enough... that reminds me of a conversation I had planned for this one.

Why does everyone get the most blessed pegasus knights?
I guess the fact pegasus knights are almost universally used means there's more cases where one's going to be blessed than cases of a rarely used unit getting blessed, even if the growth rates are the same on paper. Imagine there's a roulette wheel. Now the hypothetical numbers 16 and 32 are exactly as likely to occur. But more people bet on 16. This would give the illusion 16 wins more because people are being paid out for it more. But if an equivalent number of people were betting on 32, the payouts would be the same. My point being, if enough people try to use pegasus knights, the ones that get blessed will seem numerous enough it feels like a rule even when it's not.

I still believe. I still believe.
I mean, at least he's closer to the point he can promote... though I might hold off. Partially because promotion items are a bit slow to come by in this game.

Hopefully not death.
I mean... how can you beat this chapter without someone dying?

Why is Yubello a thing? Is it so you can switch his and his sister's classes.... and that's a terrible idea with curate's base magic.

On 6/17/2020 at 9:42 PM, DragonFlames said:

I confess that I had no idea Gae Buidhe was an actual mythological weapon until now. I assumed it was just a "Bland Name Product" for the Gae Bolg wielded by Cu Chulainn when I made that comment. As somewhat of a mythology geek, I feel ashamed...
It's notably one of a pair of spears owned by Diarmuid Ua Duibhne. It's superior counterpart, Gae Dearg (the Red Spear) was used for life and death battles. Kind of gives you an idea what I might name a later forge.

You know, that would be really cool to see in a real Fire Emblem game.
Make it happen, IntSys!
It'd certainly be an interesting utility aspect.

Who?
This makes me wonder if anyone ever actually went through the trouble of using the guy...
One day I might have to after making fun of him this much. What's the worst that can happen (besides never getting defense and depending on two-range to do damage)

Let's hope Matthis didn't just trigger a death flag for himself somewhere down the line there.
I mean,

Doubling with a Steel Lance... wow. I assumed the thing would get him doubled, honestly.
Matthis still had the 7 strength.. a steel lance has a weight value of 9. 9-7=2. Matthis had 9 speed, so he took a 2 speed penalty... making his attack speed 7. Just enough to be four above the 3 speed of the enemy knight (who obviously wasn't taking a penalty from a steel lance with that 12 strength, but unfortunately for him having excess strength doesn't help any with insufficient speed). Had the knight another point of speed, then Matthis wouldn't double.

Hooray! He now can hold his own against Shiida in arm wrestli-- okay, I'll stop, promise.
C-rank swords at least gets him access to, if I remember correctly, Killing Edges, and Wyrmslayers (also Armorslayers, but he has his Rapier, so...). I'd say that's pretty good, all things considered. Unless of course you don't want to use him for combat at all. Which I can understand.
We're still a couple chapters shy of the latter being relevant... and as for killing edges, I have mixed feelings on depending on a crit. It worked with Hyman, sure. But a certainty like the rapier's effective damage strikes me as more useful overall. On the bright side, swords give a power boost instead of an accuracy boost with each rank from C-A. So he's now effectively got one extra strength.

I say it's better to take too much precaution than none at all.
There is an idiom for this, but I can't remember it's exact words at the moment.
"Better safe than sorry"?

You could say he is now Abel to substitute for Jagen in certain areas.
A promotion and he'd exceed him in every way. Shame he's too low level to promote, and that first promotion item is in chapter 10 anyway. Also likely to go to Caeda.

On this episode of "The Bullying of Marth":
Marth: "Hey, strategist guy! I have a C-rank in swords now and I could use that Killing E--- oh".
I mean, with Castor, Merric, Hardin, Roshea, Bord, Cord, Darros, Roshea, Sedgar, Gordin and Draug on the bench, Wendell on the right team, and Barst not missing 95%s, someone had to be bullied..... and Rickard's too easy a target with his bases.

Jokes aside, I think that was a good call. That Warp use can come in handy elsewhere. And I think if you really need Killing Edges, there should be plenty of opportunities to buy them.
Like making up for the one I used on Ogma?

The true Barst experience.
Well when he doesn't miss a 95%. Then again, considering he's increased skill twice, and has a plus 10% hit from B rank on axes instead of plus 5% at C rank, that 95% would be a 100% today. They grow up fast don't they?

The axe puns are still going strong, I see!
You could say they're axe of war.

If I had to wager a guess, it has something to do with her getting one-shot by the boss (or a boss that's coming up) without it.
Very good guess. I mean, to be fair, she was one-shot by last boss without it... leading to alternate strategy.

Marth's hopes of carrying Shiida's books for her were short lived.
To be fair, she won't be needing any of the books in this game. Dark fliers aren't a thing yet, so she's not using a tome, and a secret book on a woman with a 60% skill growth seems pretty wasteful.

I can only imagine the confusion of the armory clerk when a thief comes in to give him things instead of taking them...
I mean, a thief has to hock their stolen goods somewhere. So maybe not.

Barst thinks ahead to what he'll do once the war is over. Guy's pretty smart, I'll give him that.
One can only hope it pays off. Which I doubt. Because he's back next game.

If I had any talent to draw, I'd make a team emblem for these three.
Would it be a Fire Emblem?

*sad Marth noises*
It's a shame that Marth can't be as relevant in this game as he was in FE1... or competitive Melee.

Yes. Yes, you did.
I think it's just part of my Axent.

Meanwhile, the clerk stares at the thief, his confusion ever increasing.
"What sort of thief leaves money for the objects he steals? He must be slow".

His health increased!
Wait...
One of the most confusing things about bad levels for Ukyo. I blame it on tuberculosis. Yet, because of high HP growth, he'll almost always get that stat.

Looking forward to the next part of the chapter, where that General guy tries to retreat through the imaginary secret escape tunnel.
Come to think of it, he calls for retreat, yet he never moves an inch. Poor guy really must have deluded himself into believing that a secret passage will open up if he stays there for a certain number of turns...
Plot twist. He was told that the throne has a trapdoor under it which will be activated after a certain point by that one thief who made off with the killing edge. Hence his request the throne be guarded. He's waiting for it to drop him into the secret tunnel out of the Castle.

On 6/18/2020 at 12:22 PM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

Hey don't call me a hypocrite, because I am!
I choose to remain neutral on this debate.
Ok so I didn't know that. I just don't know too much FE12 trivia. But I praised it because I tried it out on Lunatic (first time I ever TOUCH FE12) and jesus christ everything is so... beautifully designed! But anyways I'm calling FE11 what I did and calling FE12 "The game with enemies placed in interesting positions with sufficient strength and resources for you; truly the pinnacle of IntSys design. The Masterpiece Game"
I mean, most of FE12 is a remake of a Kaga game. Then again... the extra difficulties are a balancing act in themselves and deserve due credit.

Update.

Spoiler

zlLkN5Z1_o.png
Remember this? The last image from last update. Kind of to remind us where we were.
MA7Xshky_o.png
Also because showing the nigh-perfect Wrys level from healing Wolf while walking felt too fast paced a start.
Seriously, one point of magic and that would have been everything he can level.
TE7fDBgU_o.png
I trade the Javelin I was having Ukyo hold in case he got a weapon level to Julian so Ukyo can have the armorslayer.
Julian: Hey you! Come here a second.
Ukyo: Is this important? If you haven't noticed we're in the middle of a fight.
Julian: Damn right it's important. Some of those guys have heavy armor. You're not gonna scratch them with that toothpick of yours.
Ukyo: If you're suggesting I stand down~
Julian: I never said that. I figure Lena wouldn't forgive me if I let you just commit suicide like that. Besides.. you can probably use this thing better than I can.
I mean, I can't even swing it without losing my balance.

Ukyo: I thought you didn't trust me?
Julian: I may not. But I trust the guys in the enemy army actively trying to put a spear through me and Lena even less. Just go.
Di7mwYTA_o.pngIZGbHKXK_o.png
The army gathers up, and Matthis baits the first archer. He misses unfortunately. But he did his job.
mc73Y0q0_o.pngK35ePuQE_o.png0sTdBgDZ_o.png6tBbBaNY_o.png
Ogma chips the archer for Cain (who hasn't done much more than bait an archer earlier this chapter), and gets a weapon level in the process. Matthis gets healed by his sister.
Notably Ogma's new weapon level means that Silver Sword is no longer dead weight. Nice. Though Hardin's gonna be jealous.
WUPVziJN_o.pngxxr4rLwU_o.png
Abel sets up to bait the other archer seperately from the knight (who can reach Ogma and Cain). Then I split my forces to be able to kill both next turn.

4PnoXyqp_o.pngw5qp0niv_o.pngTZwqHuPp_o.png36tWHIwv_o.png
The enemy phase goes pretty much as expected. No one misses. My units don't crit. The enemy units can't. My guys did their job, both enemies are ready to be ambushed by an my near full force.
cGcjudzf_o.pngkq9FDGhq_o.pngcyaWg3rF_o.pngbektnyuf_o.png
Barst cuts the enemy HP down so Ukyo can make use of Julian's gift. Abel weakens the archer some more so Marth can get another kill. That's three this chapter. By Marth standards, that's a lot.
QceYxB6Z_o.pngf3fh9Pph_o.pngu5AhXgzG_o.png8r1O7ntH_o.png
Remember Wolf? He and his friend Wrys reached their goal. Wolf gets attacked and doubled. But he can take it. Four damage per hit is a joke. Especially with Wrys healing him.
kRzvzjqn_o.pngZ5oShiF5_o.pngbanXCuta_o.pngrg9C8pIX_o.png
My other units get healed up too while they gather outside enemy range. Lena gets Magic and HP in the process. Not bad. She's a little better at her job. After another round, Wolf switches to Javelin on player phase to get a precise kill on the archer. This gives him his first level. And what a level it is. Now if he were Sedgar, it could have had an extra point of defense... but for Wolf this is everything possible. The very first perfect level of this playthrough. Problem is, now he's in range of that Elfire mage with 15 hp.
VN0KGoa6_o.pngiLFyLsfL_o.png
Fortunately, Wrys and Wolf are quite a team. Seeing as that guy's too weighed down to double Wolf, Wrys has just taken him beyond the point he can be killed. Barst meanwhile sets up in range of one of the knights with a hammer.
WhidC3Ng_o.pnghAMlkVc2_o.pngj1rSFgFV_o.png
The enemy phase is rough on everyone, but especially the enemy knight, who is one rounded.  Also Wolf gets totally screwed in that his work is undone by an enemy curate.
M49iOhkj_o.pngtCVwuxPL_o.pngSRUQR9Fk_o.png
The catch is Wolf has served his purpose.So he moves while Wrys gets some healing exp in. Because why not. Now Caeda moves into the mage's range with a javelin while staying out of the knight and archer's range, which is one and the same. Barst starts getting healed by Lena, as I'm gonna need him soon.
OziUProh_o.pngHwzabpyd_o.png
Caeda does enemy phase even better than planned. Seriously, she's dodged both Elfires thrown her way this chapter. Seems like attacking her is a round-about way of committing suicide at this point. I mean, no one even hits her.
ok2PzXiw_o.pngP2xFU3SY_o.pngXKUc5p8g_o.pngeUredOWb_o.png
Barst heals. Abel leads the charge weakening the knight just enough for Barst to hammer him without taking a counter. Cain starts work on the archer.
GxcW1ug5_o.pngtNt5tkLq_o.png
Cain gets this level. Funny how Cain's bases in skill, speed and luck caused him chapters early on. His problems are now weapon rank and defense. Ukyo continues the job, but can't finish it. Matthis could reach but not without retaliation. I decide to leave it, because the archer can't crit or kill anyone. So he can have his moment in the sun.
0SlDOiiV_o.png1mrgJ21i_o.png
Too bad I forgot to switch Barst to a hand-axe. Also that healer's a bit of a joke. Anyone he tries healing just dies right after.
7ZNynz56_o.pngz9DaYB2m_o.pngeHYWJp9X_o.png
Case in point.
0hYxHoiQ_o.pngue8Q1QM8_o.png7MapV0DL_o.png
Matthis engages in his hobby of non-fatally stabbing healers. Abel decides it's fun and joins in. Marth misinterprets the game and kills the cleric.
uGsRil0D_o.pngYZOrR5NU_o.png8aNxApkM_o.png
For those who didn't see it coming, the boss can't one-shot Caeda thanks to the the seraph robe. But guess who can one round him? Now I set up with the same plan he's used since this map started. I set up Caeda at the throne.. and wait. Also Barst gets healed in case Caeda misses a 94%.
KYkFM7jE_o.png
They'd dead. That's why. Except that one thief. But you kind of ordered the thieves to escape with the treasure, so that's on you too.

ALCmozEj_o.pngZYOxRWaO_o.png
Remember that thing about Caeda dodging everything? Look at this. She one rounds the bastard without taking a hit.
IJEqyrLB_o.png
Because you literally sat on a throne until you got killed by the original murderprincess instead of trying to flee like you planned to?
WyDem5Hf_o.pngBErtHOJo_o.pngqMBMVDli_o.pngdj9U8Xca_o.png
Also, now she's even more evasive. And survives more. No strength... but can't have everything. Also, Wrys gets in some last second healing, before ending the chapter.
UrhIfnEf_o.png
Wait... that's just rude. I did all the work and Nyna just steals the throne. It's not even her throne. It's King Aurelis... wherever he is.
BmvjhTtX_o.pngJOU4K7mu_o.pngup8J6Xud_o.pngl1qzAEYE_o.png
I mean... technically speaking to pick it up where you dropped it I need to take back the Castle in Archanea.
FgIcJTng_o.pngKOrvbqlI_o.png
I'm sorry, is that contagious?
3Z6vQbQJ_o.pngXKJ768oX_o.png
So... why aren't you giving it to Caeda? You know? The woman who just one-rounded the boss without taking a hit?
9BlkEqJj_o.pngZLHAS9XS_o.pngxzsrqXzt_o.png
Congrats Marth. You just made Rickard and Julian marginally less useful than they already were. Moving up in the world aren't we?

Oh you're kidding. I forgot to screenshot the new chapter? Guess next time I'll be leading with new content.
Deaths:
My evasion of arenas
My credibility.
Tradition
Crit Counter:
Abel: 1
Barst: 3
Caeda:4
Draug:2
MarcusJagen:1
Marth:2
Ogma:3
Generic enemy:1
Pollux Disappointed Counter: 3

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

MA7Xshky_o.png

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!

7 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I choose to remain neutral on this one. Mostly because I make it a point not to needlessly insult either my readers or units.

But the whole point of LPing is to rant at people!

Difference is, she's on a 20% strength growth. Marth's on a 50%... if you switched their growth rates... what they've managed would make actual sense.
As it stands, checking her Averages, she's literally .8 behind her level 20 strength.

Caeda too strong. 0/10, cannot Jagen.

49 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Kind of gives you an idea what I might name a later forge.

Would certainly be a good idea, I think.

49 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

One day I might have to after making fun of him this much. What's the worst that can happen (besides never getting defense and depending on two-range to do damage)

Might as well make him an Archer in that case. Or a Hunter, if he can be one.

50 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Matthis still had the 7 strength.. a steel lance has a weight value of 9. 9-7=2. Matthis had 9 speed, so he took a 2 speed penalty... making his attack speed 7. Just enough to be four above the 3 speed of the enemy knight (who obviously wasn't taking a penalty from a steel lance with that 12 strength, but unfortunately for him having excess strength doesn't help any with insufficient speed). Had the knight another point of speed, then Matthis wouldn't double.

Oh right. I always peg Steel weapons as these super heavy weight weapons that rarely ever make you double and get you doubled instead.
Of course, his enemy was a Knight, so... yeah. Brainfart on my part.

51 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

"Better safe than sorry"?

That one, yes! Thank you!

52 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Plot twist. He was told that the throne has a trapdoor under it which will be activated after a certain point by that one thief who made off with the killing edge. Hence his request the throne be guarded. He's waiting for it to drop him into the secret tunnel out of the Castle.

Whoever told him that was secretly working for you.

53 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

MA7Xshky_o.png
Also because showing the nigh-perfect Wrys level from healing Wolf while walking felt too fast paced a start.

The old man still got it! Not bad!

54 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I trade the Javelin I was having Ukyo hold in case he got a weapon level to Julian so Ukyo can have the armorslayer.
Julian: Damn right it's important. Some of those guys have heavy armor. You're not gonna scratch them with that toothpick of yours.
Julian: I never said that. I figure Lena wouldn't forgive me if I let you just commit suicide like that. Besides.. you can probably use this thing better than I can.

Julian: I may not. But I trust the guys in the enemy army actively trying to put a spear through me and Lena even less. Just go.

Julian and Ukyo reached support level C.
You just made Julian into a male starts with "Ts" ends with "undere".

55 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

The army gathers up, and Matthis baits the first archer. He misses unfortunately. But he did his job.

Matthis tries his best, at least. Good boy!

56 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Notably Ogma's new weapon level means that Silver Sword is no longer dead weight. Nice. Though Hardin's gonna be jealous.

That is something I have always asked myself: what is the point in you getting a Silver Sword and being told to give it to Hardin when he can't even use the thing when you recruit him? Is that an FE1 thing where he was able to and they didn't bother to change it for the remake?

But hey, Silver Sword Ogma! Let's hope he makes good use of it!

59 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

The very first perfect level of this playthrough.

And probably not the last, considering Wolf's monstrous growths.

The enemy phase is rough on everyone, but especially the enemy knight, who is one rounded.

He thought Barst would miss again.
He was wrong.

Caeda does enemy phase even better than planned. Seriously, she's dodged both Elfires thrown her way this chapter. Seems like attacking her is a round-about way of committing suicide at this point. I mean, no one even hits her.

Shiida works her way up to be the very best like no one ever was this playthrough.

Also that healer's a bit of a joke. Anyone he tries healing just dies right after.

He goes down in history as the Cursed Curate, whose healing brought misfortune upon his patients.

Matthis engages in his hobby of non-fatally stabbing healers. Abel decides it's fun and joins in. Marth misinterprets the game and kills the cleric.

Goddamnit, Marth! You ruined it!

For those who didn't see it coming, the boss can't one-shot Caeda thanks to the the seraph robe. But guess who can one round him?

I knew it!
Well, as you said, this was the case last chapter, too, but still... Let me delude myself into thinking I predicted this.

It's not even her throne. It's King Aurelis... wherever he is.

Probably dead, because Hardin was much more content with sitting there in his fort staring at the camera/painter all dramatically.
Hardin was evil all along!

Congrats Marth. You just made Rickard and Julian marginally less useful than they already were. Moving up in the world aren't we?

Now all he needs is a promotion and... oh wait.

Oh you're kidding. I forgot to screenshot the new chapter? Guess next time I'll be leading with new content.

Running gag ruined. Oh well.

I actually like this map. It's frantic without being overwhelming, and you have different objectives that demand you to hurry it up a bit if you want all the items. Though it does slow down in the second half when all the thieves are gone, I suppose. Still one of the more memorable maps in Shadow Dragon for me and one that I'm always looking forward to playing.

Looking forward to next time!

Spoiler
5 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I mean remembering that Ruben did kill Medeus with that worse unit.

I know everyone's usable. They still suck

Wrys has a 20%, Lena has 25%. Actually...

Omg I know! I was just joking!

I mean, I've been complaining about 50% growth Marth deciding his strength doesn't matter. Thing about random growths. They help make each playthrough a truly unique experience. A unit who is bad in one run can be the MVP in another just by virtue of RNG. Which can alter entire maps worth of strategy. It's honestly one of the best things for replayability.

Oh 50% growth is bane of my existence. Hey Erk get speed *doesn't*, hey Serra get magic *doesn't* just... always. I understand the rng can make you good units and bad units but I've yet to have a run where the RNG was 95% in my favor with level ups. No one ever gets good level ups for their first 3. It pisses me the hell off.

He most certainly does.

A good boy. Smart boy too ❤️

I'd say it's a form of muscle atonia. See, in the sleeping state, the brain orders the production of chemicals that put the muscles into a relaxed state. This is to keep one from performing actions while they are asleep due to stimuli from dreams (hence sleep-walking and the like occurs when there is a fault and the atonia/relaxation does not occur). Catch is, some people (myself included) have it keep pumping on occasion even upon waking. This can result in sleep paralysis, or in the more extreme cases cataplexy. The former typically occurs when one has been asleep (like you described, as one doesn't necessarily wake up with it), and can come with hallucinations. Cataplexy, on the other hand, occurs in the day, when one is fully conscious in response to specific stimulus (laughing too hard, crying too hard, sudden terror). It also results in the muscles seizing. So, if I were to hazard a guess from my understanding of the matter (which isn't flawless) I'd say you woke between the body starting production of the chemicals mid-REM, and prior to them taking effect. Most likely early in the production.

Yeah exactly, it was something like that. Though the weird thing was how I woke up and jumped slightly voluntarily and even made a small shriek. Then I stopped again. Maybe my brain thought I wasn't yet conscious and amplified the chemical powers but then it realized what happened and stopped me. It was really cool in retrospect to be honest. Though I was wondering then for how much longer it would stay like that which was only a few seconds.

I imagine because he knew he wasn't going to keep it under control for much longer, seeing as the gates were breached by now, and there were no reinforcements this map.

Yeah but it would still mak emore sense since this map doesn't have a time limit. So if he was expecting to win and then escape? Well then there's no point to leaving. That also brings the question as to why he just started to loot the castle if it's been under control for quite a while now.

So is Rickard an elf?

Perhaps, have you read the thing before?

The RNG is a harsh mistress at times.

"Babe!! it's time for your 4 PM luck level-up!"
-"Screw you Eliwood!"

You say... while having a username and avatar linked to the game. It's not like it's that bad a game. Flawed... yes, but bad?

I like some of the characters a mega ton, what can I say? And I mean I think FE7 is pretty bad? Maybe mediocre is better because at least it has the gba animations and good music to hold it up. But map design, I'm working on why I think it sucks and the story we know sucks (though that's the least of my concerns).

Either SNK's "Samurai Shodown/Samurai Spirits" (the Japanese name) series (they're 2D weapons based fighting games), or Japan in the years 1764 thru to his death in 1790 (which is arguably retconned for a game set in 1791, but I find that takes away from it). He originates from Umasagi Village, though that's not particularly relevant given he's wandering about in the games, what with the various demons and sorcerers causing havoc across Japan that he's helping to put a stop to.

Oh I see, that's kinda cool. Won't someone die very quickly once they know they have tuberculosis though?

I'd be lying if I didn't say some of my trade-based tricks were based off ideas I got from reading Saint Rubenio... whether he realizes it or not.

True, I copied some of my turn 1 strats on my fe6 run from dondon, i dont know if that means i got better or not. It feels like cheating.

i forgot to update last the crit counter last time

hey why is this here after my replies? idr anything bout it.

I mean, most of FE12 is a remake of a Kaga game. Then again... the extra difficulties are a balancing act in themselves and deserve due credit.

Truth be told the map design of book 2 proper is not absolutely stellar. it's engaging enough but it has weak enemies. So the difficulty settings from FE12 are all IntSys design. This shows that they can make a fair and engaging lunatic mode, so why don't they?!

Huh what? His magic cap is 4?

6 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Though Hardin's gonna be jealous.

But of course, the exact same thing that would later provoke his downfall.

6 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

9BlkEqJj_o.pngZLHAS9XS_o.pngxzsrqXzt_o.png

I find it funny how they try to explain a mechanic that Kaga probably implemented when drunk and then thought it was cool. I mean how does it work? Is it like the sheikah slate in breath of the wild?

Also sth I noticed at the crits section is that you have been quite lucky. You got crit once and survived anyways, lol.

where he could have been replaced with Hardin in every facet if the latter had the "retreat" trick later games use.

Honestly, one of the things I wish they'd done. Giving Marth someone other than Nyna and Malledus to talk to with that beautiful prose of FE11's would've been wonderful. As much as I'm not fond of that trick, Jagen and Hardin deserved it.

I don't know. Ask the people who named him Belf.

That's why I mantain that Vergil was better. I have no idea why the translators were peer-pressured into changing it back to Belf. Ugh... It's just like Zelot. Jerrot is an actual name. Zelot is a misspelling of "zealot", a religious fanatic. What does that have to do with Jerrot? Absolutely nothing, that's what. I'll never stop calling him Jerrot, Heroes can suck my gravy-giver.

Why is Yubello a thing? Is it so you can switch his and his sister's classes.... and that's a terrible idea with curate's base magic.

Ahahahahahah... Actually, I just checked, and Yubello literally has 0 magic as a curate. Amazing.

...wait, no! Scratch that! Curate's base magic is 1, so even though it's displayed as 0, Yubello's base magic as a curate is actually -1! He has to gain an invisible magic level that will do didly-squat before he can even begin gaining actual points in that class!

most of FE12 is a remake of a Kaga game.

A Kaga game that even a Kaga fanboy like me will admit was horrendously balanced and way too easy. I didn't make it to book 2 when I played 3, sadly, but from what I've seen, FE12 and 11 got it beat in almost every aspect.

MA7Xshky_o.png

Thanks for posting this. It is quite the soul-cleansing sight. Wrys is the best curate, see? Throw him at Gharnef. You can't win against Gharnef... unless you use Wrys. Kill Gharnef with Wrys, and you'll be glad you did.

Julian the pragmatic.

Though Hardin's gonna be jealous.

Plot-twist: the real reason he turned evil was that he was mad Marth gave his silver sword to someone else.

Now if he were Sedgar, it could have had an extra point of defense... but for Wolf this is everything possible.

To be honest, the extra points of defense are kinda overkill. Wolf tanks just fine. I'd say the base level 3 is more of an issue for him. But DSFE experience gains are pretty high, anyhow.

Why are all of the lords monsters?

IJEqyrLB_o.png
Because you literally sat on a throne until you got killed by the original murderprincess instead of trying to flee like you planned to?

He had a brilliant plan. He heard tales of the FE6 thrones and thought that, since he was in the game that's FE6 times 2, his throne would be twice as powerful.

Unfortunately, he was counting Archanea Saga, so he failed to realize that his game wasn't FE12, but 11. A shame.

No strength

MMMM

XKJ768oX_o.png
So... why aren't you giving it to Caeda? You know? The woman who just one-rounded the boss without taking a hit?

Nyna doesn't trust the same woman who seduces half the army into joining with the powerful artifact that can open any chest.

11 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I find it funny how they try to explain a mechanic that Kaga probably implemented when drunk and then thought it was cool. I mean how does it work? Is it like the sheikah slate in breath of the wild?

Marth bashes the locks with the emblem until they break. There, I explained it better than IntSys and Kaga both.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Marth bashes the locks with the emblem until they break. There, I explained it better than IntSys and Kaga both.

Then anyone could break the chests lol.

Looks like I only missed one chapter (albeit in two parts) while I had no internet

On 6/16/2020 at 1:40 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

zNWLf35w_o.pngREV79fcx_o.png
True to his word, Matthis leads the charge, and equips the steel lance. Jagen gets positioned and barriered up, the idea being that he should be able to kill the elfire mage next turn.

I really like the way you hinted at both Matthis's gameplay benefits, and Ukyo's backstory in such roundabout ways with that interaction. Also its nice to see Matthis leading the charge, and putting all that training to good use.

The last tiny bit of the curse is broken...kinda. Yeah that strength is still embarrassingly bad.

Except... looking at this... I just realized Jagen's got an extra point of defense on Matthis.... he'd have been fine... I wasted a combined total of a vulnerary use, a warp staff charge, and a barrier charge(which proved un-needed because Caeda got the mage) on this brain fart of a strategy. I suppose Lena got resistance out of it. So that's something. That said.. I feel kind of like an idiot in hindsight.

On the one hand it all worked out in the end, but on the other I get it, you know you could have done it better, and next time I am sure you will.

Caeda finishes off what Matthis started, and Abel helps her switch to an iron lance while blocking off a thief, taking a cheap shot at him, and getting a nice level. He's now 1 HP, 1 defence, and 2 weapon ranks off catching or exceeding Jagen everywhere. Also 1 movement and promoted utility. So point is Jagen's still useful. It's just Abel's now comparable in some areas.

I mean even when Jagen is just a worse Abel, he is still useful until you have another unit to replace him.

We're fighting for the future of the continent so... Rickard. Future king of Grust.

no, No, NO

ACtC-3fIUBSiQp2vRE6mJXf6IH7nxQVjY8AuOAeA

THAT is the future King of Grust, the little prince Yubello!

LGw8vXwU_o.png7qhVpaca_o.png3CDObgLu_o.pngj2BgkWYs_o.png
We watch a thief swipe a killing edge, he can keep it. It's not worth a unit's life, and I've already wasted a warp use this chapter. Wolf takes a hit from the knight, and two from an archer. He gives the archer one back.

That is a remarkably practical approach, many can't let treasure get away, even when it is of questionable value. Plus you already used the warp use you would need to catch that guy anyway.

I think I'm done with axe puns this chapter. I'm starting to sound like a Berwick character. Anywaay, he's now got a lot of 11s in his stats, and a couple 7s. Seems like he's going into advertising for a certain franchise.

Don't stop the Axe puns, they are a horrifying gift that keeps on giving.

Speaking of tough luck, Ukyo must be feeling the strain from his tuberculosis, because he's literally only got hp out of that level. Also a key that silver lance cav dropped. But he would have got that anyway. While that's more than half the screencaps, I figure that's a good place to end it. Because it's the entire "battle of the choke point" phase done.

Wow, you have even advanced in your LP skills to the point of splitting chapters in half to avoid the wierd quirks caused by too big of updates. I know it took me a while to embrace that one.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, Benice said:

Yeah I have been playing this series since it was brand new, and I only started Ironmanning abou-, no wait I think I can actually pinpoint when I first seriously started ironmanning, I guess the FE6 succession game was the first around last October, and the next was the FE5 ironman I started the weekend before last Christmas...

On 6/16/2020 at 3:18 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

FE is all about the numbers, and the battle forecast gives you the best idea of what is going on in a battle.

On 6/16/2020 at 3:18 PM, This boi uses Nino said:

I know that feeling...

On 6/17/2020 at 4:42 AM, DragonFlames said:

Who?

After all this talk of Vyland and the Sable Order across the Screenshot Cinematic Universe,  am feeling strangely compelled to seriously use him on a run

On 6/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

...Don't pick on the little prince, he is a good little boy, who deserve his Grustian Kingdom.

QceYxB6Z_o.pngf3fh9Pph_o.pngu5AhXgzG_o.png8r1O7ntH_o.png
Remember Wolf? He and his friend Wrys reached their goal. Wolf gets attacked and doubled. But he can take it. Four damage per hit is a joke. Especially with Wrys healing him.

Oh that is really sneaky... I like it!

7MapV0DL_o.png

What a spoilsport.

On 6/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, DragonFlames said:

That is something I have always asked myself: what is the point in you getting a Silver Sword and being told to give it to Hardin when he can't even use the thing when you recruit him? Is that an FE1 thing where he was able to and they didn't bother to change it for the remake?

Indeed, in FE1 they had a stat called weapon level, and it worked like any other stat, and Hardin's base weapon level was high enough to use Silver weapons, for the stat applied to all weapons a character could use.

21 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahahahahahah... Actually, I just checked, and Yubello literally has 0 magic as a curate. Amazing.

...wait, no! Scratch that! Curate's base magic is 1, so even though it's displayed as 0, Yubello's base magic as a curate is actually -1! He has to gain an invisible magic level that will do didly-squat before he can even begin gaining actual points in that class!

...☹️

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

After all this talk of Vyland and the Sable Order across the Screenshot Cinematic Universe,  am feeling strangely compelled to seriously use him on a run

Believe or not, but so am I.
I never actually used the Wolfguard except for, well, Wolf and Sedgar, when playing FE11. Roshea and Vyland were just two more characters for the bench. And in all honest seriousness, sometimes I completely forget they exist at all.

Indeed, in FE1 they had a stat called weapon level, and it worked like any other stat, and Hardin's base weapon level was high enough to use Silver weapons, for the stat applied to all weapons a character could use.

I see, I see. I suspected it was something like that. Thanks for the explanation!

Though to be honest, they could have given Hardin a B rank in Swords instead of Lances in order to avoid this awkwardness of that one guy going "here, give this sword to Hardin. He can't use it, but boy will it look pretty in his inventory until you painstakingly level up his Sword rank against mostly lance-wielding enemies!"

On 6/20/2020 at 1:01 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh my goodness...

...☹️

If it makes you feel better, I too have used him a couple of times. I mean, lover of bad units as I am, how could I not try out the dude with negative base magic? Guy grows surprisingly well, if you bathe him in experience.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:19 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

45ut6s.jpg

Wrys might straight up be the MVP of this run.

I really like these little dialogues between the characters that you've added in. Makes me wish SD had support convos.

Ogma chips the archer for Cain (who hasn't done much more than bait an archer earlier this chapter),

Sad to see that he Cain't be more useful.

And here we have the beginning of Hardin's descent into madness. He just couldn't handle not getting his silver sword.

Abel sets up to bait the other archer seperately from the knight (who can reach Ogma and Cain).

He is more than glad to be Abel to help you.

By Marth standards, that's a lot.

*Sees Marth sulking and crying in the corner*

Armor knights are surprisingly really good in the Archanea remakes. Roger in particular made for an OP general in my playthrough of FE12. Thanks in no small part to my use of the drill grounds.

There's a reason Marth keeps her around...because she's better than all the men in his army. Wing Spear? More like Win Spear! I'll see myself out now.

Marth misinterprets the game and kills the cleric.

Marth killing something. Now that's something you don't see every day.

Remember that thing about Caeda dodging everything? Look at this. She one rounds the bastard without taking a hit.

45uui4.jpg

She's flat out the best unit in the game. That's why.

Because Marth needs something to boost his already pitiful self-confidence in battle.

-------------------

Missed commenting on the last update, but they were both very entertaining. Looking forward to the next one.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You madman, you actually used Yubello? If you did that in H5, you are officially DonDon version 2.

7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I know that feeling...

Weak.

On 6/21/2020 at 8:37 AM, Benice said:

You madman, you actually used Yubello? If you did that in H5, you are officially DonDon version 2.

FE12 doesn't have a H5 (although its H4, AKA Lunatic Reverse is probably the hardest FE game-mode, and certainly the hardest FE game-mode that isn't lined with Bull Shit), and that Yubello is from a H1 run. Of the really optional units, he is the one I have used on the most runs, but I haven't completed my H3 run of that game yet, and I avoided using him on H2 due to having used him on all of my H1 and lower runs, and wanting to give a different mage/sage a chance to see use.

Part 9- Death on White Wings

Replies.

Spoiler
On 6/20/2020 at 3:31 AM, Benice said:
  Hide contents

LET'S GOOOOOOOO!
Honestly, this whole run is starting to make me wonder why people act like he's so vastly inferior to Lena. The differences aren't that profound if you're not doing LTC. Three uses of Hammerne is the biggest.

But the whole point of LPing is to rant at people!
But insulting them is a different matter. Even if they start it.

Caeda too strong. 0/10, cannot Jagen.

I think she Established otherwise this chapter.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:31 AM, DragonFlames said:

Would certainly be a good idea, I think.
Always fun to set up something in advance.

Might as well make him an Archer in that case. Or a Hunter, if he can be one.
Just an archer. Which means he gets screwed over even more early game. Though Sniper isn't bad.

Oh right. I always peg Steel weapons as these super heavy weight weapons that rarely ever make you double and get you doubled instead.
Of course, his enemy was a Knight, so... yeah. Brainfart on my part.
The sad thing being that I didn't even really think about the fact Abel can use Steel lances without slowdown until I started this chapter... resulting in me giving him Matthis' steel lance due to only buying one for Caeda and one for Wolf... meaning someone had to miss out. Then like a moron I gave a Silver lance to Matthis because he's on the verge of weapon level up... except I forgot Silver Lance is B rank... which Abel was about to get.

That one, yes! Thank you!

Whoever told him that was secretly working for you.
Either that or, it was that one thief who made off with the killing edge, seeing as he was smart enough to only go for the thing I'd never get to without warp.

The old man still got it! Not bad!
Wrysent events have me hoping that I can kill Gharnef with him. Make this run really funny. At the very least, I have an idea to really irk the guy on chapter 15.

Julian and Ukyo reached support level C.
You just made Julian into a male starts with "Ts" ends with "undere".
That'd imply Julian actually liked Ukyo... as opposed to tolerating him because for the moment he's helping to protect Lena. Kind of like Matthis tolerating Julian in FE3/12.
Also for Lena.

Matthis tries his best, at least. Good boy!
I mean, after everything he did in the lead up to it... it hardly mattered. He helped carry that chapter hard.

Yep. Weapon rank was a bit weird back in FE1/3. So it sort of applied to both. It also levelled randomly on level up, with it's own growth rate.

But hey, Silver Sword Ogma! Let's hope he makes good use of it!
If he needs it... after the segment I played through, I can say my concerns of him falling off may have been premature. His defense issues are mitigated by being one of the few units not being doubled. Also when not facing weapon triangle disadvantage, he's decent offensively.

And probably not the last, considering Wolf's monstrous growths.
We should see soon-ish. I mean, he's going to get a lot of exp from my plan this chapter... if it works.

He thought Barst would miss again.
He was wrong.
Barst has been doing a lot to get his axet together after his mistake.

Shiida works her way up to be the very best like no one ever was this playthrough.
Best unit in game even under normal circumstances. When she's getting that kind of strength? Oh lord. And her growth rate goes UP when she's a draco-knight.

He goes down in history as the Cursed Curate, whose healing brought misfortune upon his patients.
The anti-Wryst.

Goddamnit, Marth! You ruined it!
Marth had a sheltered childhood. He doesn't understand these games.

I knew it!
Well, as you said, this was the case last chapter, too, but still... Let me delude myself into thinking I predicted this.
Also this chapter. So it's still paying off.

Probably dead, because Hardin was much more content with sitting there in his fort staring at the camera/painter all dramatically.
Hardin was evil all along!
I mean, if he was dead who did we talk to at the end of last chapter? Also in FE12 when he gives over Aurelis to Marth to stop Hardin.

Now all he needs is a promotion and... oh wait.
Better late than never? I don't know. I think I'd take FE1 Marth or FE12 Marth over Roy.

Running gag ruined. Oh well.
It had to happen eventually the way I forget things. I'm just glad my forgetfulness seems to either go in my favor or be harmless.

I actually like this map. It's frantic without being overwhelming, and you have different objectives that demand you to hurry it up a bit if you want all the items. Though it does slow down in the second half when all the thieves are gone, I suppose. Still one of the more memorable maps in Shadow Dragon for me and one that I'm always looking forward to playing.
The one I'm not looking forward to playing involves a lot of Ballistae. Because I don't know how bad that's gonna be on this difficulty.

Looking forward to next time!
Whenever that is. I have no idea either half the time.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:57 AM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

I know everyone's usable. They still suck
I mean, it's better than sucking and being unusable. I mean... Lina in Tear Ring Saga. 10% strength grow. 4 base strength. 10% def growth. 3 base def.  Level 1 cav (well equivalent). But you know the topper? She joins in chapter 26B. Even with 40 chapters... it should be noted that the chapters are split between two routes. Good luck getting her to contribute.

Omg I know! I was just joking!
I just do that. It's fun to watch people squirm when you start quoting statistics. So I do it in real life a lot.

Oh 50% growth is bane of my existence. Hey Erk get speed *doesn't*, hey Serra get magic *doesn't* just... always. I understand the rng can make you good units and bad units but I've yet to have a run where the RNG was 95% in my favor with level ups. No one ever gets good level ups for their first 3. It pisses me the hell off.
It can be fun. Less so when it's screwing you over. But when you see a PoR Mia decide to cap defense despite the low, low, chance (1%)... it's hilarious. On original hardware yet.
sNYLPgt.jpg

A good boy. Smart boy too ❤️
He's a clever one. He has a lot of strange habits relating to trying to help me. Like running into the room barking whenever my food's ready.

Yeah exactly, it was something like that. Though the weird thing was how I woke up and jumped slightly voluntarily and even made a small shriek. Then I stopped again. Maybe my brain thought I wasn't yet conscious and amplified the chemical powers but then it realized what happened and stopped me. It was really cool in retrospect to be honest. Though I was wondering then for how much longer it would stay like that which was only a few seconds.
Hard to know. Chemical processes are a bit inexact... and do vary person to person based on both internal and external factors.

Yeah but it would still mak emore sense since this map doesn't have a time limit. So if he was expecting to win and then escape? Well then there's no point to leaving. That also brings the question as to why he just started to loot the castle if it's been under control for quite a while now.
I actually meant to make that point, but forgot to between playing the chapter and doing the write-up. I imagine that he didn't expect to lose it. But then, really, they probably should have started when the previous fight started going south.

Perhaps, have you read the thing before?
Can't say I have. But I read like 200 parts between updates.

"Babe!! it's time for your 4 PM luck level-up!"
-"Screw you Eliwood!"
The RNG Goddess... likes sleeping in (really, really late) and getting revenge on people who wake her.

I like some of the characters a mega ton, what can I say? And I mean I think FE7 is pretty bad? Maybe mediocre is better because at least it has the gba animations and good music to hold it up. But map design, I'm working on why I think it sucks and the story we know sucks (though that's the least of my concerns).
My biggest concern is the cast size. One mercenary and one hero? One myrmidon and one Swordmaster (I am not counting Karla because joke). One Shaman. One Monk. One Cleric, one bishop and one troubadour. One pirate, one berserker. One nomad. Two knights... one of which is a joke.

Oh I see, that's kinda cool. Won't someone die very quickly once they know they have tuberculosis though?
Well, given that he died by the time he was 30 canonically...

True, I copied some of my turn 1 strats on my fe6 run from dondon, i dont know if that means i got better or not. It feels like cheating.
I mean... I nicked the Wolf killing the archer/baiting the mage trick off dondon myself. Mind it's been quite a while since I watched that run... so I might have nicked more.

hey why is this here after my replies? idr anything bout it.
Because I screwed up on positioning my small text gag that usually goes at the end of the responses.

Truth be told the map design of book 2 proper is not absolutely stellar. it's engaging enough but it has weak enemies. So the difficulty settings from FE12 are all IntSys design. This shows that they can make a fair and engaging lunatic mode, so why don't they?!
Wouldn't know. Haven't played OG mystery. Always was content with FE12.

Huh what? His magic cap is 4?
I meant levelling everything with a growth, as he's got a 0% in strength and defense. So he only missed magic.

But of course, the exact same thing that would later provoke his downfall.
I mean, if a character flaw exists, I may as well joke about it.

I always imagined it was "magic" or something. Because all I care is I don't always need to bring a thief if I can get away with Marth doing it.

Also sth I noticed at the crits section is that you have been quite lucky. You got crit once and survived anyways, lol.
The pirate who crit Draug in chapter 1. 1% crit... but Draug had full health so it didn't matter. Not gonna forget that anytime soon.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:01 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Honestly, one of the things I wish they'd done. Giving Marth someone other than Nyna and Malledus to talk to with that beautiful prose of FE11's would've been wonderful. As much as I'm not fond of that trick, Jagen and Hardin deserved it.
I mean, Hardin really, really could have used it to build up for next game.

That's why I mantain that Vergil was better. I have no idea why the translators were peer-pressured into changing it back to Belf. Ugh... It's just like Zelot. Jerrot is an actual name. Zelot is a misspelling of "zealot", a religious fanatic. What does that have to do with Jerrot? Absolutely nothing, that's what. I'll never stop calling him Jerrot, Heroes can suck my gravy-giver.

Kind of what I wanted to point out. Hilarious joke there guys.

A Kaga game that even a Kaga fanboy like me will admit was horrendously balanced and way too easy. I didn't make it to book 2 when I played 3, sadly, but from what I've seen, FE12 and 11 got it beat in almost every aspect.
I'll have to judge for myself one day... but at the moment FE11 and 12 are good enough for me.

Thanks for posting this. It is quite the soul-cleansing sight. Wrys is the best curate, see? Throw him at Gharnef. You can't win against Gharnef... unless you use Wrys. Kill Gharnef with Wrys, and you'll be glad you did.
That'd be a show I'd have a hard time topping. Indeed, if I do... I might have to end the run there, because everything else would be filller...

Julian the pragmatic.
I kind of thought it was hilarious to have him play a similar role to Ukyo as Matthis would to him in FE12. You know, putting aside his differences with someone he dislikes for the sole purpose of ensuring Lena's safety. And his own.

Plot-twist: the real reason he turned evil was that he was mad Marth gave his silver sword to someone else.
Goddamn tattle-tale villagers.

To be honest, the extra points of defense are kinda overkill. Wolf tanks just fine. I'd say the base level 3 is more of an issue for him. But DSFE experience gains are pretty high, anyhow.
Remembering even at maximum defense Medeus will be dealing 40 damage in a round to Wolf on this difficulty... I can't help but be worried about more. I'm still trying to work out an entertaining way to do that chapter without getting people killed. Thankfully I've got a lot of time between now and then.

Why are all of the lords monsters?
Perhaps they played a certain SNK game known as "King of the Monsters" and, on figuring out they were gonna be kings, that being monsters was part of the job description. Perhaps we should have gave them "The King of Fighters"... because at least then their combat might be good.

He had a brilliant plan. He heard tales of the FE6 thrones and thought that, since he was in the game that's FE6 times 2, his throne would be twice as powerful.

Unfortunately, he was counting Archanea Saga, so he failed to realize that his game wasn't FE12, but 11. A shame.
Did he borrow that plan from Martel?

MMMM
HP? Strength? Defense? It's your's my friend, just so long as you have enough RNG.

Nyna doesn't trust the same woman who seduces half the army into joining with the powerful artifact that can open any chest.
To be fair... I figure that Wing Spear will be opening a lot of "chests" if you get me.

Kaga did the shield bash from Zelda first.

On 6/21/2020 at 5:20 AM, This boi uses Nino said:

Then anyone could break the chests lol.
To be honest... I think that'd make more sense. What are chests even made out of in this series? I mean you can break walls, snags, doors in Tellius. But chests are insurmountable.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:19 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Looks like I only missed one chapter (albeit in two parts) while I had no internet
Yep. I'm slow. Like really slow.

I really like the way you hinted at both Matthis's gameplay benefits, and Ukyo's backstory in such roundabout ways with that interaction. Also its nice to see Matthis leading the charge, and putting all that training to good use.

I also used it to establish a sort of LP canon for Matthis' arena abuse gains... while subtly channeling Matthis' Kris support from FE 12, and Ukyo's post-battle conversation with Yumeji (a character notable for training under the same master as Ukyo, albeit a lot more broken being a sub-boss from Samurai Shodown V) from Samurai Shodown VI... albeit with certain twists. Like the fact Ukyo was in Matthis position in Samurai Shodown VI. How much does one have to know? I plan to explain everything as I go... especially seeing as Samurai Shodown V's arcade version actually cut the story in the west. Thankfully, I have the PS2 version... so I have the cutscenes regarding the backstory there.

The last tiny bit of the curse is broken...kinda. Yeah that strength is still embarrassingly bad.

Yeah... but really being sword locked means he's never going to be particularly good. Just less bad.

On the one hand it all worked out in the end, but on the other I get it, you know you could have done it better, and next time I am sure you will.

Seems to be a recurring thing this LP. Even when I make a miscalculation I learn from it. Which is vital, as if I didn't I'd just make the same blunder again and lose characters. Or at least staff uses.

I mean even when Jagen is just a worse Abel, he is still useful until you have another unit to replace him.

Especially with the fact he can be a Draco-knight. Because until Minerva (and the first Master Seal), Wendell is my only other option... and while his speed would be killer as a Draco-knight... I like having a healing/death-dealing sage for both quick deletion of enemies and emergency healing.

no, No, NO

That's one impressive Yubello. Definitely far more deserving of the throne than Rickard ever will be.

That is a remarkably practical approach, many can't let treasure get away, even when it is of questionable value. Plus you already used the warp use you would need to catch that guy anyway.

I honestly half planned to use the warp on Ogma once the cavaliers were sufficiently distracted trying to get past Wolf... hence his starting position. But I held off in case I needed him for pulling Matthis, Jagen and Caeda out of the fire. Except then I screwed up when I panicked. So at that point the trade-off was the killing edge.

Don't stop the Axe puns, they are a horrifying gift that keeps on giving.

I axeually started them in memory/reference to a certain FE1 screenshot LP (I'm sure you've seen it). Difference is Barst was technically making them there. Point is, if it ended after four chapters and I keep going... I might as well get my cut of the axetion.

Wow, you have even advanced in your LP skills to the point of splitting chapters in half to avoid the wierd quirks caused by too big of updates. I know it took me a while to embrace that one.
It also helps get through writing them... it's a lot easier when you write two smaller updates than one big one. And that was the most screenshots I'd done on a chapter due to the whole "Wolf as a wall" bit.

Yeah I have been playing this series since it was brand new, and I only started Ironmanning abou-, no wait I think I can actually pinpoint when I first seriously started ironmanning, I guess the FE6 succession game was the first around last October, and the next was the FE5 ironman I started the weekend before last Christmas...

An easy way for me to check when I started would be to go back to my join date for Serenes. Because I joined midway through my first Shadow Dragon iron-man to ask a question relating to the failure to save post chapter after a migraine... and penalties.

FE is all about the numbers, and the battle forecast gives you the best idea of what is going on in a battle.

Well, the best without actually doing the battle. But by then it's too late.

I know that feeling...

*Laughs in Marth's 50% strength growth*

It's funny. Reminds me of Saul Alinsky's rules for radicals. Namely the one about pushing a negative hard enough that it pushes through and becomes a positive. Ergo joking about characters like Vyland, Glade, etc, being unmemorable so much that they become memorable for being forgettable.

...Don't pick on the little prince, he is a good little boy, who deserve his Grustian Kingdom.
I just wanted to point out subtly what Saint Rubenio did not so subtly. Namely one of the quirks of the DS reclass system.

Oh that is really sneaky... I like it!

I wish I came up with it. But as I recall dondon did it first. Probably some of my other tricks too. One day I'll have to see how many match up... or at least are similar.

What a spoilsport.

Matthis may have been annoyed, but the cleric got the worst of it.

I'm honestly curious how it would have melded with the reclass system in this game. Imagine reclassing a unit and ending up with the same weapon lvl regardless. Mostly in a "my god this is broken" sense. That said, it would really have helped the knights if they could reclass to something and not suffer losing all weapon rank. Also mercenary promotions would be much better for the instant hand-axes.

...☹️

On 6/21/2020 at 9:33 PM, DragonFlames said:

Believe or not, but so am I.
I never actually used the Wolfguard except for, well, Wolf and Sedgar, when playing FE11. Roshea and Vyland were just two more characters for the bench. And in all honest seriousness, sometimes I completely forget they exist at all.
I can see that with Vyland, hence why I joke about it. Roshea's more memorable for me because in FE3 he was apparently the only one who could be recruited from the Wolfguard. Mind I read a lot about FE3 back between Shadow Dragon and the release of FE12.

I see, I see. I suspected it was something like that. Thanks for the explanation!

Though to be honest, they could have given Hardin a B rank in Swords instead of Lances in order to avoid this awkwardness of that one guy going "here, give this sword to Hardin. He can't use it, but boy will it look pretty in his inventory until you painstakingly level up his Sword rank against mostly lance-wielding enemies!"
It'd be hilarious if he actually said all that though.

Oh my goodness...
Honestly... it's one of the weirdest quirks of the whole reclass system.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:51 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

If it makes you feel better, I too have used him a couple of times. I mean, lover of bad units as I am, how could I not try out the dude with negative base magic? Guy grows surprisingly well, if you bathe him in experience.
Indeed he does. My original Gharnef killer right there. For FE12.

On 6/21/2020 at 10:31 PM, twilitfalchion said:

45ut6s.jpg

Wrys might straight up be the MVP of this run.
If he can kill Gharnef I'll die laughing. I've done it on H3. But if I do it on H5, it's the end. There's no coming back from that.

I really like these little dialogues between the characters that you've added in. Makes me wish SD had support convos.
I mean... I kind of like doing them to make up for the absent support convos. If there were support convos I'd have nothing.

Sad to see that he Cain't be more useful.
I figure the moment he gets to D lances... he'll be there. It's just taking a while.

And here we have the beginning of Hardin's descent into madness. He just couldn't handle not getting his silver sword.
This is going to be a running gag. Or at the very least a brick joke when I inevitably get to him in FE12.

He is more than glad to be Abel to help you.
He is Altea's most Abel knight.

*Sees Marth sulking and crying in the corner*
I really should stop bullying him. The RNG is doing a good enough job of that.

Armor knights are surprisingly really good in the Archanea remakes. Roger in particular made for an OP general in my playthrough of FE12. Thanks in no small part to my use of the drill grounds.
Depends on the difficulty level and the unit. I mean, as you saw Draug was basically useless by chapter 2 with the constant potential to be one rounded here. Then again he did crit chapter 1's boss. So...

There's a reason Marth keeps her around...because she's better than all the men in his army. Wing Spear? More like Win Spear! I'll see myself out now.
When your best unit is your girlfriend so you don't have to pay her. Maybe Marth isn't the strongest lord, but he might be the smartest.

Marth killing something. Now that's something you don't see every day.
I mean, we might if I uploaded more.

45uui4.jpg

She's flat out the best unit in the game. That's why.
VeCaeda, what does the endscreen say about your win count?
It's over 9000!

Because Marth needs something to boost his already pitiful self-confidence in battle.
He should just start using his Melee throw combos. That'd fix his one range issues.

-------------------

Missed commenting on the last update, but they were both very entertaining. Looking forward to the next one.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:37 AM, Benice said:

I'm just impressed with the stats.

Weak.

On 6/24/2020 at 12:40 AM, Caster said:

How did I miss this? I might read this later, Shadow Dragon H5 is fun as hell, wanna see how you're handling it.
Be aware silly running gags are a thing here.
Also welcome. Hope you enjoy.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:53 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

FE12 doesn't have a H5 (although its H4, AKA Lunatic Reverse is probably the hardest FE game-mode, and certainly the hardest FE game-mode that isn't lined with Bull Shit), and that Yubello is from a H1 run. Of the really optional units, he is the one I have used on the most runs, but I haven't completed my H3 run of that game yet, and I avoided using him on H2 due to having used him on all of my H1 and lower runs, and wanting to give a different mage/sage a chance to see use.
Lunatic reverse... AKA the thing I might avoid for the sequel.... as I don't want to lose in the prologue.

If you read this I wasted your time.

Update

Spoiler

OA7Q3Ez4_o.png
Remember this from last update? You shouldn't, because I forgot to take it... and thus missed the gag.
EJ14bc1j_o.pngx7UCHCZD_o.pngFgq8YS5I_o.pngjQ0xafmu_o.png
A valley... if the enemy were smart this is where they'd pull a pincer movement. Send some fliers (which we know they have) to cut off our escape by the direction we came from... and sandwich us between the fliers and the main force. Fortunately... the game's not that merciless.
xaTUe44V_o.pngMEkQvI13_o.pngjQ1YQBa8_o.png
I'll admit. With the reinforcements... I'm actually somewhat afraid on this one. Mostly because one of the enforcments spawning has a ridersbane. Not good when you have four cavaliers. Thankfully, I have an idea on how to mitigate that.
Ugn6aZNt_o.pngpPeHKb3c_o.pngPxUOkIYv_o.png
So preparations. First Jagen becomes a Dracoknight again, now there's less archers to worry about. I buy a few heal staves for my healers, as they may help with my plan, and will definitely be of use eventually even if they're not needed. Merric takes Julian's place in the team... and gets his Excalibur back off Wendell. Because he'll be using it. I also brain fart and think Matthis being about to hit weapon rank c means he can take the silver lance and I can give one of the steel lances to Abel, seeing as he's now strong enough not to be slowed down. Caeda also takes one as she's barely slowed down, and Wolf takes one because not only isn't he slowed down, but his speed sucks at the moment anyway. I also merge various javelins that are on the verge of breaking and give new ones to those who don't have one after the merge.
bNgKqNPw_o.pngN5nzHrdQ_o.pngLjFwqz5G_o.png2ZiO9kXk_o.png
If she thinks his tactics are underhanded... she should see the cheap idea I have in mind. Then again, if they were all charging me head on from turn 1, it wouldn't work... so ironically her pride would keep her from losing. Unlike Harmein who neither has pride... or my scheme.
BomuAi1c_o.png1tkIFzVS_o.png
Or  a shred of decency apparently. I mean threatening harmless unarmed clerics? Who'd do something so despicable?
(insert montage of me having units kill clerics for exp)

zXVFIFYF_o.pngjmTDocpC_o.png
Is the game subtley hinting that it knows what I'm gonna do? Not that it's that clever. It's more... exploitive.
3A9fXGGF_o.pngWOzHUMw3_o.png
Turn 1, we gotta start work on the archers. Steelbow is my first target, because Longbow requires something mildly sneakier. I also set up a formation based on having Barst in range of the enemy draco-knight as he, Ogma, Wendell and Caeda are the only ones she doesn't double and the only one with weapon triangle advantage and, (assuming Dracoknights are female. I don't know. I mean Michalis isn't, and Jagen's one and he isn't. But generally they're promoted pegasus knights and pegasus knights are female. Look this is confusing. We'll just assume they're female). Plus I want someone in range because then I can have Merric next to him and safely eliminate her. It won't matter for a bit and it took a lot of space counting to work out.
xDhdLkL0_o.pngeNTbwHAM_o.pngxJwjz9Un_o.pngdwADCiXe_o.png
Enemy phase actually goes pretty amazingly. Wolf gets an unexpected 2% crit on steel bow, who BARELY survives. He also shockingly reveals generals ACTUALLY have a dodge animation with the bow. Seriously, I've seen their other one with the lance. But this is a first. Neither of these were necessary to my plans in the slightest, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel intoxicated by the RNG.
PYPX16Ke_o.pngeDeX94mm_o.png
On player phase I realize a problem with my plan. If I want to heal him with Wrys... which I did because he had 95exp, I'd need to reposition Wrys, as I don't want Wolf accidentally drawing the dracoknight. The level up proves less than worth the effort. I mean... the HP growth's kind of impressive given it's Wrys. More so because he's now got it twice in a row (at least) But  I'd have liked magic and/or resistance, as they're far more useful give his non-existent defense growth.
Zh2GrmfK_o.pngHP3euVXd_o.png
Well, we see how much more axeurracy Barst has now. 100% on a dracoknight that has more avoid than the pegasus knight that dodged him in chapter 5. Beautiful change.
What's not so beautiful is seeing the draco-knight somehow pull off a 49% hit... which is half a percent less with true-hit. Meanwhile Marth has missed a 50% strength growth how many times? I'm not bitter.
lU8H0Sqf_o.pngKbCfXmLQ_o.png
I try to get Wolf some exp out of it, but this woman (I think) is blessed. She dodged an 83%. She had less than 6% chnce of dodging that when true hit is factored in. I see I wrestle with the avatar of the RNGoddess herself today. Wolf at least gets a weapon level for his bow. Not that I managed to catch that during my "what"
lqK9ke1V_o.pngBeDSMRHw_o.png
By slaying the RNGoddess' avatar, Merric takes her power for himself. So close to a perfect level. Especially when you realize he has no strength growth.
Ff1PJqS1_o.pngPtPzqrZi_o.png
I position my units with plans to lure the Pegasus knights in and wreck them with a gangpile. Except I've made one drastic mistake. Anyone care to guess?

Spoiler

4I22L7Sa_o.png
Because no one was in their range, they went to a totally unplanned location. I also can't just move out of their range without having that damn thief open the door. Which would be a disaster because it'd let the archers and mercenaries out. But only some of my units can reach them. And simply putting Wolf in front of the door and moving everyone else is just a band-aid that could easily come off because they'd be in a dangerous position for anyone to help him. Fortunately, I've got a plan.

smWX23mw_o.pngB6DlZqQm_o.pngJy3Gl3qo_o.pngLCR1mmpj_o.png
Remember that Abel and Jagen pun about them being Abel to Jagen? I Cain use it again, because my Matthis perfect on this one. And if one of the two is dead, then everything's good because the other one can't quite kill anyone who isn't Merric by themself.
gZ1VufRK_o.pngQ80Fp6EJ_o.png
Yep. Cain did it... but I was far too nail-bitey over the 95% (after the Barst incident) to cap it. Doesn't matter. Caeda weakens the other one leaving Ukyo my only option. Problem is, he can only kill her with a steel sword... the thing that has weapon triangle disadvantage. Also she doubles him, so if he whiffs, he's dead on enemy phase. Ergo I conclude it's safest to equip the sword and wait. After all, then she either dies on his counter, fails to kill him by two hp, or attacks someone else equally safe.
f8TV3Qk4_o.pngiWtBTOFJ_o.pngoo4LyPi8_o.png
Barst heals up... and takes a "worth a shot" moment on the thief, seeing as  he can. I don't expect it to do anything... but apparently even that 56% works out for me. Barst even gets strength, hp, and fittingly given the odds, luck. I'm pretty happy with that, even without the speed, skill or defense.
OTjMcUNg_o.pngqUGbFk2y_o.pngZq8xXZyo_o.pngyzZH5jlY_o.png
Seeing as that worked, I let Ogma finish him off. Because he's literally got two defense, he can do it with an iron sword, no trouble. He  gets a door key that'll be handy soon. He also gets some strength and hp. The strength also means he's not weighed down by steel swords anymore... so under the circumstance I use one, it doubles as a point of speed.
Wolf, no longer needing to block that door (the plan if the thief survived), finishes off the steel bow archer instead.
yvs7S1FH_o.png
Anyway, defensive positions. Note the nice little safe island Merric has? Yeah.
95ctYnb4_o.pngWgbvhsJf_o.png
Wolf continues tanking hits from longbow, who doesn't realize revenge is coming. Ukyo succeeds in defying weapon triangle to enemy phase the pegasus knight. What I was hoping for, even if I had contingency plans. Now we can move to my next plan... exp.
DrL1SRcs_o.png3SG67yFw_o.png
Wolf gets the ball rolling by starting the damage on longbow. He even dodges another 75%, because he's Wolf. But that's just part of my progress. See, I want to get some extra exp from a special source.
oiCZXs74_o.pngYe7AAnBN_o.pngNroRH312_o.pngmYjFq0oj_o.png
I begin milking the white wings for exp, because I hear they can't actually die this chapter, and just retreat and will return when they're meant to. You can bet I'm going to be unbelievably salty if that's a lie. Regardless, Abel is going to have an interesting story about how he first met his wife, Barst and Matthis get Catria started, and Est survives a round with Caeda by hacking Miracle into Shadow Dragon. Oh well. I wanted to give that kill to Abel anyway because he needs the exp.
X0zGAD4D_o.pngKNbeBGAa_o.pngBYxgo1eF_o.pngrjvwqcyp_o.png
Caeda Establishes she's gained a weapon level. Which is great, because B-lances bonuses. Jagen and Merric start off Palla. Ukyo goes to Lena for healing. Marth, being naive and idealistic sets up to bait longbow into staying in Wolf's range. Because he would not ask any of his men to do something he would not. Enemy phase begins.
6NdwGMTZ_o.png
It goes about as expected.

TVIMMaAk_o.pngYjjrIrez_o.png
Wolf actually misses the damn archer for a change. So this is going to go slightly longer than planned. It's okay. No hurry.
OrF0QfQf_o.png4zZiHbaM_o.pnguGPrwslM_o.pngf83bexeP_o.png
I'm going to estimate that bad level was because I had him attack the girl he'd marry. Well, I can Establish this is the point he decided that she needs protection in the fanfic.
Also he can now use the silver lance I gave to Matthis. Which is what triggered the mechanism in my mind that made me question why I did that.
W4Dmr0sW_o.pngX6rdbytN_o.pngvkz1jXpk_o.pngN8rnr4WB_o.png
If Abel were paying attention, he might have realized Barst and Matthis were putting down Palla and Catria just as easily. Look, we now have a collection of the retreat quotes. Guess the white-wings are play-testing Casual mode for next game.
K0GogwJI_o.pngLP4WHC1e_o.pngZuikmDb4_o.pnggD3cg309_o.png
Matthis got a weapon level out of that too. Now he can use the Gae Buidhe.. but not that silver lance I gave him because I'm an idiot. Caeda gets some exp off Minerva before Merric finishes her. Guess that's worth a good level.
6fjsQ4Ca_o.pngQRQ9KI0l_o.png
Well, excUUUUUUUUUUUUse me Princess.
npga7iFu_o.pngR9h0r556_o.png
Preparations are made to end the longbow archer, and Marth heals before taking another enemy phase potshot.
QiqMY99X_o.pngl9CJwob7_o.pngeSOigiFr_o.pngJp7QlF36_o.png
Wolf once again does chip damage to the longbow archer, and Caeda once again goes into an archer's range knowing she can kill him safely. What of the mercenaries you ask?
Only one can reach. She can't one round without critting. She's too fast to be doubled, too lucky to take a crit. But the icing on the cake is even if she did crit and one round the first mercernary, she's got the defense and hp to survive both. Ergo, she's 100% safe. Marth also gets healed again.
5mFbl7QH_o.pngJfdHhjVe_o.png
Ogma opens the door now and I set up as much as possible for next turn... in the event both Mercenaries advance.
5GKpsIUu_o.pngZeKdHg6h_o.png
Caeda, being Caeda dodges him and takes half his hp. Perfect for feeding to some other units.
PA6xqHzk_o.pngqh1pLSqm_o.pnglUZ3QMev_o.png
Matthis and Ukyo team up to get this level for Ukyo. I was hoping for speed because he's a point behind the other cavs and it would have saved him from being doubled by that pegasus knight earlier.. but having the third most defense on the whole team be on the guy with tuberculosis is oddly hilarious.
RBhAmCwp_o.png
I must have not taken a shot of the formation... but here we see the enemy phase result. Ogma is attacked, but it's fine.
O7ycs6fm_o.pngCn8AgNWG_o.png
Very fine because it means Caeda can Jagen for Marth. Ready for disappointment?
54GUavdi_o.png
Too bad. Marth seems to be set on keeping his strength equal to his level. Maybe that's why he didn't let it increase until his level passed his base. Now who do I make fun of for strength? Everyone worse than Marth/Matthis/Caeda got benched.
FU9cuhEk_o.pngS31Z4smZ_o.png
Healing Ogma and Wolf for the next big phase of my plan, Wrys and Lena get identical levels. I guess they both took my earlier statement about wanting magic and resistance literally. I'm more than fine with that.
CIJBXhom_o.pngznwyCEn8_o.png
Anyway, before I end the update and get to the dangerous part of the map next time... I decide it's time for some more tomfoolery. I make a save state before this (for reasons soon to be apparent).
on5bJMlB_o.png
Bantu must be shouting. Look at him. Three units between him and Marth. Dear lord I love this. Wait. Reloading save and seeing what happens if I move Wendell and Barst.
pYTpslQb_o.png
Well that answers that. Let's do this conversation now huh?
us9tk6v3_o.pngi5ER01Ym_o.pngPowhAG8U_o.pngnsrTqUc4_o.png
0 to 100 much? He goes from asking if Marth's seen Tiki to being condescending about his age, saying Tiki's the one hope of beating Medeus (I mean, she is very useful to that goal), to admitting he's a bad unit. I mean, I know he's saying he can't transform now, but I like to think "I haven't the power" is referring to the fact he's a terrible unit.
Gn4PmyOP_o.png
Spoiler. You can't do much better with it.
u6w2KEAb_o.pngvrsV9Tea_o.png
If he wasn't the only way to recruit Tiki, Bantu would be useless. As it stands... he actually has a use. Regardless I'm going to do something I don't usually do. Namely use the save point and end this update here. Why? I have no idea if my plan's going to work. So join me next time as we find out in the update I hade to call "Wolfguard"

Deaths:
My evasion of arenas
My credibility.
Tradition
Crit Counter:
Abel: 1
Barst: 3
Caeda:4
Draug:2
MarcusJagen:1
Marth:2
Ogma:3