Testing the Waters I've Gone off the Deep-end. A Shadow Dragon H5 test-run

On 7/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

UFV4gPPz_o.png
Which I should have shown got sent to the convoy. Sort of important later. But not really.

Ah, doing some convoy teleporting to warp it over to whomever is fighting the boss.

0hdnbJsF_o.png
Oh for... Merric always coming up just short of everything. Too slow not to be doubled by the hunters. Too inaccurate to guarantee a hit with enough confidence for me. Too... unmagic? Mundane? Inexperienced? to finish this cleric without wasting an Excalibur use because I didn't buy him a thunder tome last chapter. Why? Will you ever contribute anything to this team?

The old Mekkah's Forde syndrome, stats that look good, but are just shy of the needed benchmarks. Plus Wendell massively overshadows him with the base ranks to use Excalibur, which is supposed to be his thing...

3kAitGzu_o.png
Shame all I have to do is give a reminder on why pros always say movement is the best stat. Jagen's ten move is unmatched, and hindered by terrain and sea these chumps will never catch him.

One of those extra useful things about having Jagen/Arran switch to Wyvern Knight is the ability to lure enemies in creative ways with that staggering mobility utility. I am honestly not sure how you can handle FE12 on Lunatic or Lunatic reverse without using that strategy.

odaw9xUg_o.png94ryPtI4_o.png
So now that we're so close to him... I guess I should point out the Boss. Mannu is a character you may remember being a bit of a joke on normal mode. Catch is.. here he's not.

I hate that they don't show the stat boosts from the Dragon Stone. Sure if you know the game is lying to you, you can figure out the Strength, Skill, and Speed bonus by comparing the Atk, Hit/Crit, and Avoid values to what they should be, but the massive defense and resistance boost you can only infer from battle forecasts.

j2Icinj0_o.png
Also, I realize the Wyrmslayer has all of 68 hit on the boss and I'm not risking that shit.

Those are some awful numbers to see. I guess that means the Wyrmslayer convoy warp was pointless...

URMGCpXN_o.pngd549bq8Z_o.png
Instead Ogma gets rid of the pirate Caeda damaged, so Marth will be able to seize the moment Mannu bites it. Wendell borrows Excalibur for a bit, and weakens Mannu down to precise damage for Barst's handaxe... after Barst takes Ukyo's old spot for safety reasons.

Poor Merric, getting his  signature tome stolen to fight the boss...

...Only to finish Mannu off with it later himself. That was a nice touch.

7PxS9wLJ_o.png
In AMerrica.

latest?cb=20111126021856 Somebody called?

XHGvWg7r_o.png
Here I've screencapped the exact moment Catria fell for Marth. Notable is the fact Marth hasn't said anything all "conversation. He's most likely too caught up in morose thoughts about the war to even realize she's talking to him.

This is one of those things that annoys me a little about Shadow Dragon's story, these Marth's face is only there to be silent, and talked to for the entire conversation scenes. He should have something to say, and not just get talked to all the time...

On 7/21/2020 at 10:09 AM, DragonFlames said:

Though I am happy about it from a gameplay perspective. Manaketes are hard enough to deal with as they are and if they had 1-2 range... hoo boy!
Awakening shows us what that would be like, though luckily, all the Manaketes there are playable (and singlehandedly saved my first Awakening playthrough).

FE12 also gave enemy Dragons 1-2 range on Lunatic and Lunatic reverse difficulty...

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 15- Jagen levels.

A quick message to those who read this regularly.
For anyone who's worried/apologizing about having missed an update in future... don't worry about it. I admit it's a bit of an ego boost when people comment, but everyone's got a life to attend to when not reading this stuff. Even if I do miss the comments when they're not there. They're a great motivator to help me keep going,  they help me know what I'm doing right or wrong with my writing. They give me insight into what people want. If anyone's enjoying my little endeavor half as much as I enjoy reading the comments on it, I'm glad to have brought some light into people's lives. Or at least a few puns and a slightly silly cross-over fiction.

Spoiler
On 7/22/2020 at 3:09 AM, DragonFlames said:

Oh crap, I missed the last update! I'm sorry!
I did a little rant relating to this before the LP, because I want to be clear on my thoughts on the matter. Not that they're... you know, going to be in any way controversial. But just because it gave me a way to subtly thank people for their support.

It's probably scaring his wyvern right now.
Good thing it got sent to the convoy. Not that he could use it as a dracoknight.

Damn, the part I missed just had to be the part of your people being awesome..
There really wasn't much. A Merric crit here, a devil axe backfire there. Marth actually getting two consecutive kills without healing and strength... actually... maybe they were.

They probably swore an oath of brotherhood. Together in life, together in death.
Most likely hoped to create a kingdom ruled by benevolence one day... Hopefully, they didn't leave a third oath brother somewhere, who will send his entire army to take revenge only to fail spectacularly, because you have Shiida and Wolf.
Either one would do. Both are overkill. Just in different ways.

This guy must be the third member of the cursed curate family.
Only he got all the luck, while his brothers inherited the curse.
He also didn't actually get to heal a single person. Though the fact his faction didn't get decimated to a man like the others... yeah. He may have been the best at his job, whether or not he did anything.

*sad Wolf noises*
The Roger: Don't cry, Wolf, we'll fetch you a new curate to chew on!
*happy Wolf noises*
Sounds like my brother's dogs when they break a squeek toy with their tug of war games. Silly pups.

My question is, why in the heck does he have a Door Key on him?
For gameplay purposes? So someone who has lost both thieves can get Maria. For in-universe purposes? I assume he needs it for the royal treasury that Julian looted.

When founding the kingdom, was there no scepter available and he declared that that key would be proof of his royalty?
Or that. It's the keys to his castle.

That's another thing I never really understood: why do dragons in Shadow Dragon only have 1-range? I mean... one would assume, since their weapons are their elemental breaths, that they would have at least as much range as a Mage throwing a fireball.
Though I am happy about it from a gameplay perspective. Manaketes are hard enough to deal with as they are and if they had 1-2 range... hoo boy!
Awakening shows us what that would be like, though luckily, all the Manaketes there are playable (and singlehandedly saved my first Awakening playthrough).
So they don't all end up like Medeus. Especially on H5.

Wait, what?!
I don't actually know what happened there either. It only showed up in the screenshot. But I figured I'd make a joke out of it, seeing as the alternative was getting mad the screenshot got ruined by a graphical glitch

And this, ladies and gents, is what you call the Attempted Trash Talk Backfire, or ATTB, for short.
Which I totally didn't make up this second.
I mean, I did the full version in the Saint Rubenio response. I just wanted to use it again seeing as I screencapped early as well as on time... except not.

Triple A game! For real this time!
Axes, lances and staves. Now we just need tomes, swords and bows... and Wolf and Ogma are on their way to that.

You totally made me pay attention to that now.
I'll be on the lookout!
But what if I throw in a switch and take a similar screenshot... so I can make it look like I reused it but didn't?

Anyway, sorry again that I missed the last update, but this one was really entertatining once more! Congrats on still having everyone alive!
As I expressed in another thread (and since above), I'm not too worried about people missing updates... even if it does help feed my ego/motivation to have people cheer me on.

On 7/22/2020 at 4:52 AM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

Yeah that is true, you do need a buyer and this isn't an RPG where "Ye humble shope" has billions to buy whatever you sell them. Heck shops won't even take your stuff... ugh
Also pawnbrokers love to play lowball. Because they can.
All that stuff however sounds cool. The fact you mentioned the Aepyornis must mean you live in Madagascar! That is the only place they lived after all... what do you mean they could've bought it from a Madagascarian? That doesn't make sense at all.
Yeah, I have no idea what that egg's doing here honestly. But whoever coined the phrase about how you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs never saw one of these. It's worth more than a few eggs.
On a more serious note, that does sound sad, can't he sell them to a museum though?
The museum here's kind of been in a downturn for the last 15 years or so. They've downsized a number of times so that parts of the building could be rented out by businesses. Hence they're about a third of the size they were when I was a kid. Now instead of taking up a whole building they've got things like a theatre and a starbucks taking up space.

It's even bad at that. Many people were almost put off because the tutorial is so slow, it's maybe good as a first game, but as a 2nd game or to someone that already has played SRPGs before like me, it's a terrible introduction, specially since it doesn't teach you anything cool. Meanwhile FE8 even has one chapter to show you how useful flying is by rescuing Ross.
A very basic introduction. That said, I do kind of like it when games give me a chance to work out things for myself... not that FE7 is really doing that either.

Hey I notice you aren't replying to me calling you from different nationalities... guess that's another dead joke.
I'm just having a hard time coming up with witty responses for every one of them. I'm out of ideas... despite wanting to see if you can get through the whole list without repeating yourself.

That is understandable to be honest, no problems there.

And yeah how that can affect people so much sucks.
Well, it was a good lesson for my younger self about what I find most important in a woman.

That's not a bad idea honestly. Work on axes while having bows and then go to hero.
Also I kind of realized... Wolf caps out speed faster in Hero due to the higher stat bonus and lower cap. Meaning the speed growth would be going to waste there after so many levels.

See you actually make plans! That's pretty cool.

How intricate varies. But for the most part chapter 10 is fairly planned out.

Aye that's a decent level.

Also sentences like that last one is why I like your LP so much, your writing is very enjoyable. I also like how you couple several screenshots in one and then make a long parragraph for it.

I find it makes it easier to write, because it allows the metaphors and puns to flow out of my mind and onto the page like ink from a quill.

Lol this Resistance is hilarious. You have to promote Wrys and use him for combat, preferably mage tanking...
Yeah, that old Gharnef's no match for the curate.

Hey wait I haven't heard about Wendell, where is he?

He was slowly working back from the trip to recruit Jeorge with Marth and Ukyo. I sent him because I wanted someone who could both heal and do damage due to the small group in case things went bad due to a miss. Then he only ended up healing. Also didn't hurt he had an extra space of movement compared to my other healers.

That's actually really cool!
Considering the bonus from WTA and the amount of lance users in the game... he's going to get an effect +25 hit and one damage against every one of them. It's just +15hit on anyone fortunate enough not to be using a sword but still not quite so unlucky as to have a lance. Also Ogma kind of has a bonus he gives to Barst when close... which I think is currently at +5 hit/avoid... but will be +10 to both soon.

Well that sucks.
Kind of poetic the guy with tuberculosis gets all the bad levels. That said I hope I can turn it around, because I really don't want to drop him... the gag's been too fun and there's some sequences I really want to do.

Huh strange.

I wish I knew what gives. Oh well.

Oh there he is, guess I jst missed him.

To be fair, he was taking a long time to get back.

Hot damn Merric, I guess he's good because of that Excalibur, otherwise he seems to be ok. Man I really don't like Erks. The Erk-like mage are my least favorite.
You could say they... Erk you.

Oh wow! He may actually like not fall of at all given that hero promotion bonuses are pretty good. No but seriously this higher speed and strength and bulk is just incredible...
He got everything he really needed/could use in one level. Seriously, if he had this earlier he could have survived a round against the boss.

I hope this gets touched upon on the actual story, this is a neutral nation after all. Also I won't believe soemoen telling me their economy was a secret when the nation is named "Pyrathi"
Unfortunately, it never really was. I just had to kind of justify two things. Marth arbitrarily invading Pyrathi... and the fact the place was crawling with pirates. So I tied the two together. Though Mystery of the Emblem apparently took a different approach by adding an extra village to chapter 11... putting Jeorge there, and then deleting Pyrathi. Which makes sense to me, because what the hell was Jeorge doing here anyway?

And again, your writing is very solid!
Thanks... I'm trying on it. I can never decide honestly if I'm sounding enough like the characters... or too much like... well, me.

Hmm... speedwings could go to Barst. Maybe Marth. Wolf can also use them to not get doubled but reclassing fixes that. When you get a Talisman though, give it to Wrys.
There's a couple ideas I can think of that may be more beneficial. Barst is, after all, at the point most foes aren't doubling him. I'm thinking if I can get someone else over that line... it'd be a good idea. Marth's an option... but is Abel (who has more defense and strength, thus making him better for enemy phase),  depending on their next levels getting speed, the other cavs.
Also I agree, Caeda has been awesome!

I mean... the wing spear and her promotion alone makes her great. The rest of it's literally just turning her into an immortal.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:13 AM, twilitfalchion said:

Watch where you're swinging, Jagen. As old as he is, he might forget he's on a dragon and slice it into dragon sashimi by accident.
Fortunately, with him not being allowed swords in the draco-knight class... that was never a risk. Besides his weapon rank's too low.

I'm sure it was a well-earned victory.
Well... the devil axe back-fire was pure luck. But otherwise the only crit was redundant because Merric was dealing enough damage anyway.

95% being an unsafe option. I never thought I'd see the day.
I mean... Barst missed it once in chapter 5. I've been a little more cautious about it since. Predicting the worst will happen has helped my survival rate drastically. I mean, compared to when I was a new player and used to go "1% crit will never proc" then get 1% crit by a thunder mage. I did not forget Radiant Dawn.

*sad Merric noises*
I mean, the rant was partially what I felt in the moment... and partially a set-up for the fact he killed the boss.

My reaction to ambush spawns in general.
Really the only reaction to ambush spawns.

...surprising resilient for an old bag of a dragon.
It's more that we're gradually realizing Bantu is surprisingly bad at being a dragon.

MVP of the run right there. It's inconCaedable (oof bad pun) why they keep trying when they know death awaits them at the end of a peg knight's spear.
I guess they knew they come close once before. They don't seem to realize how many lives that near victory cost them.

giphy.gif
It's a pitfall to be precise.

Promo time!
Well... it will be. Once she gets that master seal off the Hero.

Well, except for Marth anyway.
What's Marth need a promotion for anyway? He's got Caeda and Wolf to literally carry the whole army. Not that some of them need it.

--------

Missed the last one but glad I caught this one! Looking forward to the next update!

12 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Ah, doing some convoy teleporting to warp it over to whomever is fighting the boss.

And the plan would have worked too... if it weren't for that meddling dragonstone (I mean I already figured it wouldn't have just because of his speed stat, but I wanted to be sure).

The old Mekkah's Forde syndrome, stats that look good, but are just shy of the needed benchmarks. Plus Wendell massively overshadows him with the base ranks to use Excalibur, which is supposed to be his thing...

Though in this case, it's partially my fault. Merric is spending every other chapter on the bench to help make room for other units. Never mind the other units tend to be more versatile than him because of either movement, durability, damage output or the ability to heal. If I hadn't levelled Matthis... it might be a different story.

One of those extra useful things about having Jagen/Arran switch to Wyvern Knight is the ability to lure enemies in creative ways with that staggering mobility utility. I am honestly not sure how you can handle FE12 on Lunatic or Lunatic reverse without using that strategy.
In this case, it was partially an unexpected side effect... given the four pirates who set after him didn't stop trying to catch up to him until the map ended. Never mind the fact it was now quicker to go towards the castle than to follow the route he took.

I hate that they don't show the stat boosts from the Dragon Stone. Sure if you know the game is lying to you, you can figure out the Strength, Skill, and Speed bonus by comparing the Atk, Hit/Crit, and Avoid values to what they should be, but the massive defense and resistance boost you can only infer from battle forecasts.

As I recall, they fixed that little omission in New Mystery... and it's one of the nicest quality of life changes. But yeah, those stat boosts are quite frankly horrifying on this guy on H5. Oh boy, I can't wait to see the chapter 11 manakete (Khozen I think) who had similar stats (an extra point of skill and 2 of defense) but actually can move.

Those are some awful numbers to see. I guess that means the Wyrmslayer convoy warp was pointless...

It did help serve to illustrate my point of how much he'd grown with the H5 boosts. I mean he got 12 speed out of the deal. That's massive by any standard.

Poor Merric, getting his  signature tome stolen to fight the boss...

...Only to finish Mannu off with it later himself. That was a nice touch.
The curate incident gave Merric the motivation he needed. He had to become stronger so he wouldn't be insulted. Ironically resulting in being insulted by the boss.

latest?cb=20111126021856 Somebody called?
This never happens to Saint Rubenio when he makes the reference. Guess it's the pun.

This is one of those things that annoys me a little about Shadow Dragon's story, these Marth's face is only there to be silent, and talked to for the entire conversation scenes. He should have something to say, and not just get talked to all the time...

I have to agree that this scene felt off. Marth's silence was... unfitting. I can think of quite a few examples (after Lefcandith) where he was written well... but this scene's silent protagonist treatment only helped reinforce how little value this chapter held from a story perspective.

FE12 also gave enemy Dragons 1-2 range on Lunatic and Lunatic reverse difficulty...

Of course. Because FE12 dragons needed any sort of buffing. It's not like those mage dragons weren't already monstrosities.

crits are a thing again apparently

update

Spoiler

llcu4DD4_o.png
Here's that extremely obscuring gate again. Except for the moment it's from tradition.
YPW9obHK_o.pngqNnwPeoH_o.pngtLlgtxGq_o.pngFRFvkywf_o.png
Marth using story gameplay intergration realizes that no matter how I planned Lefcandith on H5, if Minerva and the Whitewings attacked normally alongside the Dracoknight and two Pegasus knights... I'd have lost AT LEAST 1 person come enemy phase. More likely than not more. As it were, they were free exp AND still don't hold it against us. Truly something to be grateful for in these harsh times.
YOJCdLB7_o.pngLKH2bIRc_o.png
That said... considering how the Castle is laid out... it'd make one hell of a trap if the enemy knew we were coming. So Marth's men aren't wrong to be afraid.
qre9e2iA_o.pngDT8WJFfr_o.pngKH3O9Sun_o.png
Anyway... here's the setup. Julian sells off that bullion. Some trading/merging is done (notable is that Matthis has the Gae Buidhe and is the cav just under the cursor, while Ukyo is back with Lena and Julian). Jagen's behind Ogma because I couldn't fit him in the screencap of the starting positions... which are careful optimized by a lot of tile counting to work out the first three to five turns. Why only the first three to five turns? I'm not using Warp and I want to catch that thief for reasons. If you're not familiar with this map, you'll see why those turns matter to that.
kSiD1171_o.pngd6Mw8z9h_o.pngto8IDsfC_o.pngkWng0e5z_o.png
Zharov here has quite the mustache. Which is he is evidently quite fond of twirling, as he not-so-subtly threatens mistreatment of a young girl to keep Minerva in line.
By not so subtly, I mean he's about as subtle as a stereotypical Mafia Don telling his scar-faced enforcer to "take care of a little problem".
2fKt5gOn_o.pngtp1h2gAY_o.pngpEjfij1Z_o.png7JVSBnW5_o.png
With even the slightest request by Minerva causing him to go full blatant, and have all the subtlety of a stark naked serial killer who has tally marks for each of his numerous victims carved into his flesh to the point he's more scar tissue than man running naked save the blood of his last kill down a highway with a knife (why yes that is a reference to something). Regardless... his cockiness quickly shatters at the notion that Caeda, Wolf and friends are about to kick the crap out of his fort's defenses because apparently they weren't ready because this fort must be pretty irrelevant.
mfLBcSXh_o.pngOJeVvUUB_o.png
Minerva on the other hand... knows what's coming. Further... seeing as no one's going to reach battle turn one, I perform my carefully plotted opening move. Which for the most part is moving as many units as far as possible while prioritizing certain ones (Barst for instance).
MhNeb4Ri_o.pngvu28Dp9o_o.png
The first enemy phase sees the thief swipe the Levin sword... as the only was I was stopping him opening A chest was warping Caeda and getting a crit. But I'll be damned if I let him live to enjoy his theft. Meanwhile the enemy cavaliers sense that I was about to use a trading tactic with the Gae Buidhe to one shot each of them. To prevent this one of them takes a position out of the line.
R3i8QBjD_o.png7KXURSwS_o.pngzSuhq4jV_o.pngohqEg73g_o.png
Fortunately, my units were positioned for either positioning of the enemy units. So Ukyo steps into his role as a Jagen once more allowing Caeda to not waste a Bradamante use on this chump or take an enemy phase. She also gets HP, skill and caps out luck. She's now as hard to hit as any unpromoted unit can be without terrain boosts. I couldn't help thinking it was a pretty solid position to end tier one on.
tYAR2E9Q_o.pngP43ywoWf_o.pngRHtrapIV_o.pngdllgUXNu_o.png
Anyway, continuing my plan... Matthis one shots the next cav (who you may note has a forged javelin. Rather nasty). He then passes the Gae Buidhe to Jagen, who will pass it along... but takes a pot shot because he ended last chapter with 99 exp. He levels strength and luck. I now have a strength (and luck) blessed Jagen folks.
W4QjMHf4_o.pngaqEvINij_o.pngNs6xzE7K_o.pngAhoFQkvP_o.png
Cain and Abel deliver quite a Caining as they are enAbeled to one shot the enemies with excessive damage with the Gae Buidhe to complete this trade chain. Barst chooses his weapon and walks into the enemy castle to smash their defenses. Everyone else forms up as close to the entrance as possible.
PvNdXSLF_o.png
After Barst re-enacts the sequence from "The Punisher kills the Marvel Universe" where the Punisher EMP'd Doctor Doom and sledgehammered the despot's non-functional armor until it caved in... we now outnumber the actual Grustian troops (though they're ahead if we count Maria and Minerva... but they're not on my "to kill list".
m8KhBvOI_o.pngfWtmDOmV_o.pngTY0TO8dv_o.pngRMbLwmrt_o.png
Wendell and Wrys heal Barst while Ukyo and Wolf try to kill the thief. See, the problem is the guy has 19 speed and therefore can double anyone not named Caeda... and he's packing quite a bit of punch with that silver sword. Thankfully, he's in "flight mode" having opened a chest, so I just have to kill him before he outdistances me and lets that damn hero in the back door.
vL3bSCiH_o.pngOCZzQ0aK_o.png
Unfortunately... despite my best efforts, he lives through the turn. Which means the plan to kill him on turn three failed... but fortunately... I planned for three-to-five turns.
trO2ELo0_o.pngtEKwJkjn_o.pngpwCMCExS_o.png
Enemy phase Wolf successfully draws the knight, an archer, and the sniper... who I am not letting anyone else take a hit from on enemy phase. Not in the least because 16 speed, 27 attack and high enough crit to get through most character's luck. Mind because the archer blocked him by going first.. even Wolf didn't take that hit. So I guess no one's taking it. How fortunate. That means I get an unused Silver Bow.
MLULvybX_o.pngHFoPa1FM_o.pngAj6AS2GG_o.pngWNoA65K8_o.png
Anyway, the ever loyal Jagen is able to Jagen for his lord. And the ever able Abel is able to score a crit (I missed the RNGoddess in her vacation) and a speed level. Which also saves anyone enemy phasing that archer... which is a pleasant, if unneeded side effect.
mArr7avz_o.pngZ4K5HmuQ_o.pngMuT2xpZ3_o.pngFqijF4ty_o.png
Anyway, Cain, Barst and Matthis unit to cut off the tumor that is the sniper in case it grows malignant, and Matthis gets a rather nice level from his dabbling in surgery. Now he's got equal defense to Abel, with even more HP. He's got 10 strength (equal to Abel, better than Ogma, Marth, Caeda, Jagen or Ukyo... just shy of Cain). If he only had that extra point or two of speed he'd be quite the unit. Though his hit-rate's a bit shakey from his skill.
ZaIe8F1a_o.png9w1DSakB_o.pngDdthjgEo_o.pngQGGtYELY_o.png
Either way, got that Silver Bow. Either Jeorge or Wolf is going to have a fun time with this. Not so fun for the enemies... but I digress. Regardless, seeing as that last archer can't one round anyone due to inability to double OR crit... this is the perfect chance to finish the thief. I tried to have Ukyo weaken him for experience and the chance to have Ogma use the iron sword... but alas it was not to be and Hardin's silver sword takes another nick before he ever sees it. Rate it's going I'll be giving him a broken sword. You may note I wasn't kidding about that thief having quite a damage output. You can see he doubles Ogma... who is my second fastest unit... and actually one rounds him if given the chance. Hence why I went for the "100%" option.
pezPNMhh_o.pngNE3RLsss_o.pngSeMDlMqj_o.pngtuGZpgUU_o.png
Anyway, Ogma takes that levin sword for himself... in case I need him to do a ranged strike later this chapter. Which I suspected I might at the time. Seeing as his steel sword's not weighing him down I send the less damaging iron-sword off. Probably could have gotten away with the wyrmslayer... but there were draco-knights on the map you know. Wrys heals Wolf, Julian raids the remaining chest for the much better prize of the physic... though the other thief probably didn't know anyone who could use it... unlike Julian who has a girlfriend capable of using any staff in the game (out of context remarks incoming).
JOq3Zyww_o.pngetF0Q10r_o.pngicx8bPig_o.png
And so turn 4 ends. Everyone's in the castle... with only one hostile archer to take it from the inside. The back door's locked tight and none of the enemies remembered a key for some reason. Wolf's decided to serve as a front door, and doesn't want to budge.  Oh... and the loyal members of Grust are now in the single digits.
FALv4vul_o.png4YX9C0q6_o.png54aGBsqk_o.pngbiTYMoRd_o.png
The silver bow archer performs about as expected. No idea why he target Cain instead of Ogma though. Doesn't matter much. Meanwhile it becomes clear the draco-knights not only can double Wolf, but they do a surprising amount of damage to him considering... you know, the fact he's Wolf. That said... that's what Wendell's for... when he's done with other business. Besides... there's only two Draco-knights.
TqiJ9gc3_o.pngOXkU84HM_o.pngcT65cMD9_o.png89ThvBz6_o.png
Ukyo and Marth take turns stabbing the archer for for experience and fun... while Wendell engages in that other business: Healing Cain. Wrys decides to assist his friend in this task.
pz2xlrp6_o.pnghBkiWc5A_o.pngEnzlm9dS_o.pnguLox34Aj_o.png
At this point I remember that Jagen's still got a steel lance and Matthis has an extra javelin. So Jagen rights that before Matthis does some more damage to the archer. Before finishing the archer... I have a quick thought with Wolf. He's got an empty space right behind him and can finish the draco-knight with his steel bow to lower the enemy damage output. This would, besides getting rid of a draco-knight and getting him a level. So I do it before I forget it until it's irrelevant.
fxmv1L6D_o.pngSgIRKlVV_o.png0pOWlNNF_o.png
Did you even expect a different level at this point? It's Wolf. The only way he stops growing is if he hits a cap... whether that's in the stat or level depends. Anyway, seeing as the forged javelin pegasus knight can't reach Lena, Lena helps switch him to a javelin for enemy phase before healing him up.
XA29TIW9_o.pngBqduLdDs_o.png
After that's done, I get back to finishing off the archer. Cain gets a well deserved level.. and oh boy is it a level. He must be trying to compete with Wolf's. Not that I'm complaining because it's taken him from being the "low-defense" cav, to on par with Matthis and Abel. Though this significantly damages Ukyo's niche. That's gonna make it hard to keep the fanfic going isn't it?
G0JdlQCe_o.png
Notably, this draco-knight was slightly stronger than his fallen friend.... so the difference in defense ultimately just meant he deals the same damage... but now can't double. How's that for irony?
M9ztjwlN_o.pngnmTvh8Qr_o.pngiPuAdb0A_o.png
Also the other benefit... with the Javelin/ironbow combo, Wolf's able to precise damage this guy. He also gets a weapon rank.. so he can use that silver bow we got earlier. He also get's an extra 5% hit with bows. Julian passes the new physic on to Wrys, so both he and Lena have one. I prioritized them over Wendell, who sometimes needs to Excalibur things.yy3Nkswh_o.png
Matthis: Ukyo! Why? *indecipherable babble*
Ukyo: Matthis... calm down. You're not making sense
Matthis: Lena. Lena told me your secret. I thought you were a hero to be idolized. But you kept this from us. Weren't we your friends? Why would you decieve us?
Ukyo: Matthis... I didn't share the knowledge of my ailment because I didn't want to burden you with that information. I only told Lena in the hope she could heal me. She couldn't.
Matthis: So that's it? You're going to die and there's nothing we can do about it? No. There has to be a way around it.
Ukyo:... Didn't Lena tell you? Khadein. She thinks Khadein might hold a cure.
Matthis: Well, that changes everything. We're getting to Khadein, and nothing is going to stop me.
Ukyo: For someone who considers himself a coward, you can be eager to rush into battle.
yM9yRFls_o.pngYeHItPQf_o.png
Anyway, enemy phase sees reinforcements arrive to even the odds back up after we decimated Castle Deil's original occupants. Also because the Javelin pegasus knight decides to attack at 1-range Wolf can't counter with a bow shot. Disappointing... but that 0 damage is hilarious.
AEKXs1MN_o.png4r8IOp0o_o.png
Player phase begins... and seeing as the pegaus knight behind the one with forged javelin is in bow range... Wolf takes a shot. It's a crit to boot, despite it being enough to one-shot without. Oh boy, this reminds me of chapter 5 for some reason. Anyway, while we progress everyone else through the castle.. let's have a sneak peak at this guy. He's obviously heard about Wolf and prepared with that forged armorslayer. Shame he's never going to meet him. Besides having the master seal, he's got enough speed to double anyone not named Ogma or Caeda. Which is fine, because that just means I'll beat him using Ogma and Caeda. Shame not even Caeda can double a man this fast, because it's going to be a little tricker for that.

qzhPQ8dL_o.pngCnZmvpga_o.pngFfIxHWY3_o.pngLC1WGJem_o.png
After another pointless enemy phase, Wolf steps back and crits the other pegasus knight. For consistency apparently. Also so he can equal the record for most crits. Also everyone gets closer to the back door.
h8HVR4Mr_o.png64Hh4WIf_o.png
Post enemy phase (which is essentially them heading for the front door), Woll moves forward. May as well regain the ground we lost with those fliers/bow stunts. Julian opens a prison. Saving clerics is becoming a habit for him. Shame they weren't nuns, or I could have a joke about that.
4SYUpFeG_o.png5FGiv58G_o.pngLn8nOaOy_o.pngdag0cDy8_o.png
Marth really doesn't want to talk lately. Weird. But at least he didn't try and talk us out of a healer. Regardless, we can see the enemy count struggles to catch back up to our unit count... and with Minerva due to defect and Wolf stubbornly choking a point... they look kind of hopeless.
lOF6J1QF_o.pngPLT2Lt7c_o.png
I mean... really hopeless. Their horsemen and cavs can't even hurt the guy with silver weapons. I kind of drastically over-estimated them after those draco-knights.
58GNKPy0_o.pngwGMkphe0_o.png2isTSnXc_o.png9X8B8YxX_o.png
Anyway, as Wolf continues his one-sided curb-stomp, Julian opens the door so Caeda can show off a battle forecast... then set up to block the door so Julian doesn't get royally wrecked. Because we're not taking down that hero in a a fair 1v1. Which suits me fine.
ENvBG25c_o.pngMOFOtYOo_o.pngG8m6ncFO_o.pngkBTNkSQl_o.png
Anyway... as we end the turn the enemy reinforcements show up. Look they're ahead of us in number again. Caeda and the Hero engage in no-holds barred combat... while Wolf continues to show quality is better than quantity, as he helps to start evening the odds again.
ttKa3oWV_o.pngiWvX79VP_o.png
Seriously... why am I even bothering at this point? Until those knights reach Wolf he can't even take damage unless he switches to bows.
k6zJjXRQ_o.pngo0Ovfal8_o.pngCAtp0Pdg_o.pngymhaaxKg_o.png
Julian moves out of the way so Caeda can step back to attack by javelin and get healed by Wrys. Wolf continues his work... while Ogma blocks off the hero so he can do an enemy phase.
nD69uqUy_o.png6d4p6oLc_o.png
Now, enemy phase has Ogma deal some damage to the enemy Hero.. Wolf continues his curb stomp...
VKNSCaNZ_o.png
Oh... and Minerva and the enemy horsemen attempt to use the "ledge" terrain that I often forget exists (seriously, how many maps is this even on?) to get to my main army instead of Wolf. Now while this was planned for Minerva.... well I always forget those bloody horsemen can cross it unlike other cavalry. As for whether I did this time... well a ledge is a perfect spot for a cliffhanger.
Anyway... join us next time for Master Seal usage.
Deaths:
My evasion of arenas
My credibility.
Tradition*
Slow Cav
*-revived
Crit Counter:
Abel: 3
Barst: 8
Caeda:8
Cain:2
Draug:2
MarcusJagen:2
Marth:2
Merric:1
Ogma:3
Wolf:8
Generic enemy:1
Pollux Disappointed Counter: 3

Spoiler

Shoot, I missed an update!

On 7/21/2020 at 1:05 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

ucpqNwZ4_o.png
Plan C it is then. Guess the battle's going another turn.

7PxS9wLJ_o.png
In AMerrica.

...You know, maybe it was a blessing in disguise, because now that I've seen this... I am salty.

Anyway. New update.

On 7/21/2020 at 1:05 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Jagen: My Liege. The diversionary tactic has suceeded. By the time the enemy reinforcements arrive, we can secure the castle.
Marth: I knew I could count on you Jagen. Though I have to wonder... were we in the right to invade a neutral nation? Perhaps we'd have been better falling back to Talys?
Jagen: Alas, we had not the choice. Malledus' sources had recieved word the Grustian Navy were patrolling the routes to Talys. They obviously anticipated your return there.
Marth: All the same, I feel I have blood on my hands from this. Perhaps we should have sent word here first. Asked permission to come ashore?
Jagen: It would have made no difference sire. Since we came ashore, our reconassaince has discovered that the secret behind Pyrathi's isolationism was simple. The nation is a haven for cut-throats and corsairs who are wanted on the mainland for their crimes. The king would have been most eager to keep the secret behind his economy a secret... by any means necessary.
Marth: In the end... I suppose someone would have had to clean out this viper's nest. Even so, I've had my fill of bloodshed today, and the thought of more sickens me. Let us get this over with.

Congratulations, you explained the thing.

(I know, this is still the other update, but putting it there would've ruined the joke)

2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

For anyone who's worried/apologizing about having missed an update in future... don't worry about it. I admit it's a bit of an ego boost when people comment, but everyone's got a life to attend to when not reading this stuff. Even if I do miss the comments when they're not there. They're a great motivator to help me keep going,  they help me know what I'm doing right or wrong with my writing. They give me insight into what people want. If anyone's enjoying my little endeavor half as much as I enjoy reading the comments on it, I'm glad to have brought some light into people's lives. Or at least a few puns and a slightly silly cross-over fiction.

You're too wholesome. Meanwhile I threaten my readers with death at least once every update.

This never happens to Saint Rubenio when he makes the reference. Guess it's the pun.

That's because I really don't care for the guy. The meme is about all that keeps him from being just "Lentzenheimer but less fun".

llcu4DD4_o.png
Here's that extremely obscuring gate again. Except for the moment it's from tradition.

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this.

Zharov here has quite the mustache. Which is he is evidently quite fond of twirling, as he not-so-subtly threatens mistreatment of a young girl to keep Minerva in line.
By not so subtly, I mean he's about as subtle as a stereotypical Mafia Don telling his scar-faced enforcer to "take care of a little problem".

Reese would probably thank him for taking care of his sister

3 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

ohqEg73g_o.png
Fortunately, my units were positioned for either positioning of the enemy units. So Ukyo steps into his role as a Jagen once more allowing Caeda to not waste a Bradamante use on this chump or take an enemy phase. She also gets HP, skill and caps out luck. She's now as hard to hit as any unpromoted unit can be without terrain boosts. I couldn't help thinking it was a pretty solid position to end tier one on.

Sorry Caeda, and you know the rest.

dllgUXNu_o.png

Yes! Jagen good! Jagen best Oifey!

FqijF4ty_o.png
Anyway, Cain, Barst and Matthis unit to cut off the tumor that is the sniper in case it grows malignant, and Matthis gets a rather nice level from his dabbling in surgery.

Ahahahah... I am very proud. Continue to show those skeptics who the best cavalier is!

BqduLdDs_o.png
After that's done, I get back to finishing off the archer. Cain gets a well deserved level.. and oh boy is it a level. He must be trying to compete with Wolf's. Not that I'm complaining because it's taken him from being the "low-defense" cav, to on par with Matthis and Abel. Though this significantly damages Ukyo's niche.

I have a good idea: make Ukyo a curate. For extra irony.

Matthis: Lena. Lena told me your secret. I thought you were a hero to be idolized. But you kept this from us. Weren't we your friends? Why would you decieve us?
Ukyo: Matthis... I didn't share the knowledge of my ailment because I didn't want to burden you with that information. I only told Lena in the hope she could heal me. She couldn't.
Matthis: So that's it? You're going to die and there's nothing we can do about it? No. There has to be a way around it.
Matthis: Well, that changes everything. We're getting to Khadein, and nothing is going to stop me.
Ukyo: For someone who considers himself a coward, you can be eager to rush into battle.

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear.”

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Matthis best character."

- Ruben

Marth really doesn't want to talk lately. Weird.

And what did you expect him to say? This 12 year old just eyed him up and then conscripted herself into his army. It's like reverse Eugen.

the enemy horsemen attempt to use the "ledge" terrain that I often forget exists (seriously, how many maps is this even on?) to get to my main army instead of Wolf.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen it in this one map.

Promote Wrys, and you'll be very glad you did.

Spoiler
5 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Aight, still making time for it right now lol.

Also pawnbrokers love to play lowball. Because they can.

Reminds me of the Rick's pawnshop thing in History Channel (Known as "El precio de la historia" in spanish) and they always bring an expert to like get them the "real" value which is actually just cheating them lol.

Yeah, I have no idea what that egg's doing here honestly. But whoever coined the phrase about how you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs never saw one of these. It's worth more than a few eggs.

Indeed my fellow Russian... well I suppose I'll drop it by now, it's your right to not say where you live.

I'm just having a hard time coming up with witty responses for every one of them. I'm out of ideas... despite wanting to see if you can get through the whole list without repeating yourself.

I was thinking of making a map with the countries I already called you be crossed out so I could not repeat them but so far it's only been through memory... German.

Also you running out of ideas? That ain't physically possible!

Also Ogma kind of has a bonus he gives to Barst when close... which I think is currently at +5 hit/avoid... but will be +10 to both soon.

Supports can raise in this game?

You could say they... Erk you.

Exactly Mr. Japan, I dislike how much they rely on their first levels to be good to escape what I dub 9-damage-chip-hell.

Thanks... I'm trying on it. I can never decide honestly if I'm sounding enough like the characters... or too much like... well, me.

I've written like one thing and what I bolded is my exact fear every time.

ohqEg73g_o.png
She also gets HP, skill and caps out luck. She's now as hard to hit as any unpromoted unit can be without terrain boosts. I couldn't help thinking it was a pretty solid position to end tier one on.

Basic Caeda level-up. Wish she got strength but oh well.

dllgUXNu_o.png
He levels strength and luck. I now have a strength (and luck) blessed Jagen folks.

Heh, everything you get on him is a blessing lol.

WNoA65K8_o.png
And the ever able Abel is able to score a crit (I missed the RNGoddess in her vacation) and a speed level.

I guess this is decent if anything.

FqijF4ty_o.png
and Matthis gets a rather nice level from his dabbling in surgery. Now he's got equal defense to Abel, with even more HP. He's got 10 strength (equal to Abel, better than Ogma, Marth, Caeda, Jagen or Ukyo... just shy of Cain). If he only had that extra point or two of speed he'd be quite the unit. Though his hit-rate's a bit shakey from his skill.

Really good of him. Though that low skill is pretty annoying.

6 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

unlike Julian who has a girlfriend capable of using any staff in the game (out of context remarks incoming).

Harr herr, the joke is penis uwee hee hee!

Besides... there's only two Draco-knights.

not too sound super annoying, but no dash is necessary for Dracoknights.

fxmv1L6D_o.png
Did you even expect a different level at this point? It's Wolf.

Wolf man, is he better than Sedgar?

BqduLdDs_o.png
Cain gets a well deserved level.. and oh boy is it a level. He must be trying to compete with Wolf's. Not that I'm complaining because it's taken him from being the "low-defense" cav, to on par with Matthis and Abel. Though this significantly damages Ukyo's niche. That's gonna make it hard to keep the fanfic going isn't it?

Oh boy epic Cain level, that's fun to see. And the fanfic can still be it's thing if like Ukyo has more HP to tank or more luck to avoid "risk-taking", I dunno it's your call.

Now I want to know if Ukyo will be able to recover.

Also something else I missed way up, you mentioned the museum has shrinked 1/3 to it's original size... that is truly sad since museums are super cool man.

Marth really doesn't want to talk lately. Weird. But at least he didn't try and talk us out of a healer. Regardless, we can see the enemy count struggles to catch back up to our unit count... and with Minerva due to defect and Wolf stubbornly choking a point... they look kind of hopeless.

Hey not to sound fucking creepy but I think Maria is pretty cute. I'm not a grown man anyways but she's still too young. That's all.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:03 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

That said... considering how the Castle is laid out... it'd make one hell of a trap if the enemy knew we were coming. So Marth's men aren't wrong to be afraid.

This map gave me so much trouble on my very first Shadow Dragon playthrough. I got overwhelmed by the enemy reinforcements and lost half my army.

Maybe his threats would have a little more weight if there was actually anyone capable of attacking Maria...

With even the slightest request by Minerva causing him to go full blatant, and have all the subtlety of a stark naked serial killer who has tally marks for each of his numerous victims carved into his flesh to the point he's more scar tissue than man running naked save the blood of his last kill down a highway with a knife (why yes that is a reference to something).

It had to be. It is too specific a similé not to be one.

He then passes the Gae Buidhe to Jagen, who will pass it along... but takes a pot shot because he ended last chapter with 99 exp. He levels strength and luck. I now have a strength (and luck) blessed Jagen folks.

Awesome! The old man has not given up yet!

Unfortunately... despite my best efforts, he lives through the turn. Which means the plan to kill him on turn three failed... but fortunately... I planned for three-to-five turns.

Little did that Thief you know you had a backup plan.

Enemy phase Wolf successfully draws the knight, an archer, and the sniper... who I am not letting anyone else take a hit from on enemy phase. Not in the least because 16 speed, 27 attack and high enough crit to get through most character's luck. Mind because the archer blocked him by going first.. even Wolf didn't take that hit. So I guess no one's taking it. How fortunate. That means I get an unused Silver Bow.

Disabling that Sniper was important. I remember, when I first played the game, I was so scared of the guy, I didn't dare move anywhere near him (which probably contributed to me getting overwhelmed by the reinforcements, but hey...)

Anyway, Cain, Barst and Matthis unit to cut off the tumor that is the sniper in case it grows malignant, and Matthis gets a rather nice level from his dabbling in surgery. Now he's got equal defense to Abel, with even more HP. He's got 10 strength (equal to Abel, better than Ogma, Marth, Caeda, Jagen or Ukyo... just shy of Cain). If he only had that extra point or two of speed he'd be quite the unit. Though his hit-rate's a bit shakey from his skill.

He's trying to prove Saint Rubenio right. You go, Matthis!

Rate it's going I'll be giving him a broken sword.

inb4 this is the reason Hardin goes bonkers come FE12

though the other thief probably didn't know anyone who could use it...

He did.
But they died.

unlike Julian who has a girlfriend capable of using any staff in the game (out of context remarks incoming).

Dn7uy8M.png

The back door's locked tight and none of the enemies remembered a key for some reason.

They gave it to the king of Pyrathi.

The silver bow archer performs about as expected. No idea why he target Cain instead of Ogma though.

My guess is he has a higher hit rate against Cain than Ogma.

After that's done, I get back to finishing off the archer. Cain gets a well deserved level.. and oh boy is it a level.

Wow! Cain decided he didn't want to be the weak link any longer, it seems. Or he got miffed at my earlier remark of not being as dodgy as Ogma...

Matthis, the bro. How very heartwarming!

Marth really doesn't want to talk lately.

He's grumpy because of all the bullying.
Or he's still so shocked at Other Roger's reason to join you that words just fail him.

I mean... really hopeless. Their horsemen and cavs can't even hurt the guy with silver weapons. I kind of drastically over-estimated them after those draco-knights.

If only I used Wolf back then.
If only...

Dracoknight Shiida hype!

Very enjoyable part so far on a map that has given me many hours of grief back when I was bad at Shadow Dragon... well, worse than I am now, at any rate.
Looking forward to the next one!

Unfortunately, it never really was. I just had to kind of justify two things. Marth arbitrarily invading Pyrathi... and the fact the place was crawling with pirates. So I tied the two together. Though Mystery of the Emblem apparently took a different approach by adding an extra village to chapter 11... putting Jeorge there, and then deleting Pyrathi. Which makes sense to me, because what the hell was Jeorge doing here anyway?

I will note that Mystery of the Emblem also added a single pirate to the Port Warren chapter whose faction is Pyrathi, and drops a Silver Axe. Make of that random fact what you will...

7 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Part of it is just that the timing and circumstances have always been off for me to become an active member of a Saint Rubenio LP. By the time I first discovered the section of the Forums that LPs were hiding in there were so many pages of the Tear Ring Saga LP that I wasn't able to catch up, and with the Berick Saga one I was already doing a blind Berwick Saga LP (which I should get back too...darn summer steam sale always adding more distractions to my game lists...), so reading into another Berwick Saga LP felt would break that blind feel for my own...

On 7/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Meanwhile the enemy cavaliers sense that I was about to use a trading tactic with the Gae Buidhe to one shot each of them. To prevent this one of them takes a position out of the line.

Clever cav...well sorta, I mean you have the actions to waste two of them just trading it along if you wanted all 4 lance users of the chain to use it (and if the traders have range attacks they could even try to milk some xp with chip)

. I now have a strength (and luck) blessed Jagen folks.

Jagen is still trying to keep from being out shined by that next generation

vL3bSCiH_o.pngOCZzQ0aK_o.png

It always feels weird how dangerous the higher difficulties of FE games tend to make thieves. If their AI wasn't so strict, this could have been a disaster by them killing one of your troops, or stealing the other treasure, instead you have to chase down an enemy that will kill anyone he gets into melee combat with, with multiple turns to deal with him.

The back door's locked tight and none of the enemies remembered a key for some reason.

Why do you think they were out there? They had to call their roommate, the thief, to let them in after they locked themselves out...

yM9yRFls_o.pngYeHItPQf_o.png
Anyway, enemy phase sees reinforcements arrive to even the odds back up after we decimated Castle Deil's original occupants.

So many reinforcements to churn through...I feel tired just looking at them.

I would be tempted to suggest a silence of Marth counter, but I get the funny feeling my pointing it out before might have made this one more noticeable, and adding to the counter retroactively for previous silences might be kinda difficult...

Oh... and Minerva and the enemy horsemen attempt to use the "ledge" terrain that I often forget exists (seriously, how many maps is this even on?) to get to my main army instead of Wolf. Now while this was planned for Minerva.... well I always forget those bloody horsemen can cross it unlike other cavalry. As for whether I did this time... well a ledge is a perfect spot for a cliffhanger.

God those Horsemen are so RUDE. I was kinda thinking that might be a problem after I saw the second round of reinforcements arrive, but of course its the Horsemen that actually go and do it, passing through tiles no one else would recognize as passable...

Part 16: Prrrromotion

responses

Spoiler
On 7/27/2020 at 6:15 AM, Saint Rubenio said:
  Hide contents

Shoot, I missed an update!

...You know, maybe it was a blessing in disguise, because now that I've seen this... I am salty.
Because you didn't do it first? Or because Merric did something for once?

Anyway. New update.

Congratulations, you explained the thing.

(I know, this is still the other update, but putting it there would've ruined the joke)
I mean, I decided it made too little sense to not address. Also it gave me a chance to act like Jagen distracting the other pirates I didn't kill was part of some master plan... as opposed to dumb A.I. deciding to try and chase down a unit they could never hope to even after it became apparent it'd be easier to reach where he was headed than where he was.

You're too wholesome. Meanwhile I threaten my readers with death at least once every update.
I don't know, I haven't seen one recently. Maybe it's because the RNG's been a bit kinder lately.

That's because I really don't care for the guy. The meme is about all that keeps him from being just "Lentzenheimer but less fun".
But how does that stop the readers doing it to you?

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this.
Insert old man rambling about how that scene is actually heavily metaphorical and requires a high level of intelligence to comprehend

Reese would probably thank him for taking care of his sister
Reese has been working for Volcens. Mind Volcens is so blatant Reese can see he's so full of shit his eyes are brown.

Sorry Caeda, and you know the rest.

Yes! Jagen good! Jagen best Oifey!
I like how they both have the same strength, but of course the one who's more strength blessed is the one who gets the joke.

Ahahahah... I am very proud. Continue to show those skeptics who the best cavalier is!
Ironic that with Matthis, any stats are pretty good at this stage. The extra hit from skill, the extra strength or speed or defense or HP all help. The only thing that's not much use is luck... and even then it might help.

I have a good idea: make Ukyo a curate. For extra irony.
Because in Samurai Shodown V when he defeats Yumeji (the other person to study under their master) he refuses to kill Yumeji who ends up joining a temple to atone for past sins?

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the assessment that something else is more important than fear.”

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Matthis best character."

- Ruben
Basically. The idea is Matthis has extra motivation now. Shame I can't alter support rates to reflect that.

And what did you expect him to say? This 12 year old just eyed him up and then conscripted herself into his army. It's like reverse Eugen.
"What in Naga's name just happened?"

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen it in this one map.
I know. It even has it's own animation in battle, it's own movement penalties (the same as mountains), but unlike mountains doesn't have the bonuses.
Also if you got to the wiki (the dot com one), hilariously enough it's referred to as "Cliff" in both the FE1 and FE3 segments. Why is this hilarious? Because whoever linked it to a page fell into the old pitfall and linked it to the character Kliff.

Promote Wrys, and you'll be very glad you did.
I don't know. I mean, I figure my healers are right to wait for chapter 12. Because as I understand res growth goes down after they promote, so I'm gonna milk it for all it's worth before then.

On 7/27/2020 at 9:26 AM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

Aight, still making time for it right now lol.

Reminds me of the Rick's pawnshop thing in History Channel (Known as "El precio de la historia" in spanish) and they always bring an expert to like get them the "real" value which is actually just cheating them lol.
The thing is that's pawn shop procedure. Buy low and sell high. I know, I've got a (distant-ish) relative who has one.

Indeed my fellow Russian... well I suppose I'll drop it by now, it's your right to not say where you live.
"Fellow Russian". Aha. I now know your secret.

I was thinking of making a map with the countries I already called you be crossed out so I could not repeat them but so far it's only been through memory... German.
"Yakko Warner presents nations of the world... but only ones The Roger has been accused of living in"

Also you running out of ideas? That ain't physically possible!
But is it theoretically possible?

Supports can raise in this game?
It's a very well hidden feature. You may notice I've liked to place Marth near Caeda or Cain near Abel when I can. The support levels are based on how many chapters a unit is deployed, and many of them run 1 way. For instance, Wrys gets support from either Marth or Caeda, but neither get support from Wrys.
https://serenesforest.net/shadow-dragon/characters/support-bonus/

Exactly Mr. Japan, I dislike how much they rely on their first levels to be good to escape what I dub 9-damage-chip-hell.
I mean, Merric does only start out a point of magic behind Wendell this game. Mind he's also got the weapon rank bonus to contend with... and the fact Wendell's a lot faster, more accurate, has staves, more defense, more HP, joins the chapter after. Sure Wendell's no Pent, but he's got so much availability it kind of makes up for it. That said, they do work pretty well as a team.

I've written like one thing and what I bolded is my exact fear every time.
I think it's a thing any writer should be conscious of to some degree. Maybe not as much when writing their own characters... but when working with someone established you don't want to turn them into a literal mouthpiece. The character has to shine through.

Basic Caeda level-up. Wish she got strength but oh well.
I mean, her promotion gives her +4. The average Caeda at level 20/20 (I checked this) is 15. Meaning even without more strength... she'd be two shy of hitting her 20/20 average on (early) promotion.

Heh, everything you get on him is a blessing lol.
Just about. I mean, his level 20 average as a Paladin is 10. Meaning he averages three strength levels all game (note that he's currently got an extra point of strength due to being in dracoknight)

I guess this is decent if anything.
Next chapter has a lot of mercenaries, and a couple pegasus knights. Anyone who can hit the benchmark not to be doubled by them is a major plus.

Really good of him. Though that low skill is pretty annoying.
Good thing there's not many competitors for secret books.

Harr herr, the joke is penis uwee hee hee!
what a load of phallus flapjacks

not too sound super annoying, but no dash is necessary for Dracoknights.
I mean, they can't really dash if they're flying can they?

Wolf man, is he better than Sedgar?

Wolf has more growth in luck and strength. Sedgar has more growth in defense and skill, as well as a lower starting level (meaning more levels to take advantage of the growth rates). Sedgar starts off with low enough luck there's a chance he can eat crits on H5. Wolf doesn't. But Sedgar has a 10% chance of proccing 2 points of defense as a general, while Wolf has a 20% chance of getting two points of strength as a Warrior/Berserker. In bases, Wolf has higher HP, Speed and Luck. Sedgar has higher res and magic (seriously, Wolf has a minus 2 on res and a minus 1 on magic, but Sedgar has a 0 for magic and -1 for res). I'd personally say I prefer Wolf because he doesn't get crit early on, but I admit Sedgar has the potential to grow faster in defense... which gives you more time to branch out on everything else.

Oh boy epic Cain level, that's fun to see. And the fanfic can still be it's thing if like Ukyo has more HP to tank or more luck to avoid "risk-taking", I dunno it's your call.
He's unfortunately got less hp than the other cavs. But his luck is absurdly high. It's just any situation he can use that he's doubled. That said.. he's still got movement and chip damage.

Now I want to know if Ukyo will be able to recover.
Well... that would be telling.

Also something else I missed way up, you mentioned the museum has shrinked 1/3 to it's original size... that is truly sad since museums are super cool man.
I mean, I spent a lot of time there as a kid. It's kind of depressing when I think it won't be a fraction of what it was for my kids unless something changes.

Hey not to sound fucking creepy but I think Maria is pretty cute. I'm not a grown man anyways but she's still too young. That's all.
Like "cute kid" cute?

On 7/28/2020 at 3:39 AM, DragonFlames said:

This map gave me so much trouble on my very first Shadow Dragon playthrough. I got overwhelmed by the enemy reinforcements and lost half my army.
I can see them being a problem if you don't know they're coming. Thing is my strategy has been more or less developed since my second playthrough  to deal with that.

Maybe his threats would have a little more weight if there was actually anyone capable of attacking Maria...
To be fair, Minerva logically doesn't know that.

It had to be. It is too specific a similé not to be one.
Victor Zsasz was one of the most traumatizing Batman villains of my childhood. Mostly because he refused to wear pants. The guy has been toned down a lot since though. Literally not a tenth the menace he used to be when Alan Grant was writing him

Awesome! The old man has not given up yet!
Shame that Minerva's bases are equal or better everywhere except skill and lance-rank. Mind that just means that I can interchange them depending on whether there's a lot of cavalry or a lot of enemy's Minerva's 12 speed helps with.

Little did that Thief you know you had a backup plan.
Well, more than one backup. But we only needed plan B on him... because 100% hit with silver sword.

Disabling that Sniper was important. I remember, when I first played the game, I was so scared of the guy, I didn't dare move anywhere near him (which probably contributed to me getting overwhelmed by the reinforcements, but hey...)
He's particularly scary on H5 because (depending on how stats are distributed) he can have 16 speed... which would have doubled anyone save Ogma or Caeda. Ogma's not got enough crit avoid that I'd want to put him in range of a sniper.... and Caeda... well she's a flier.

He's trying to prove Saint Rubenio right. You go, Matthis!
I hope that he does honestly. If I can one shot Camus with him on H5, it'll be one of the greatest moments ever. Plus it'd save wear and tear on the Gradivus if Camus doesn't get to use it.

inb4 this is the reason Hardin goes bonkers come FE12
I mean, that's been a recurring joke... but yeah. "Oh by the way, I was supposed to give this to you"
"Why is it broken?"
"Well about that..."

He did.
But they died.
Cursed cleric, we miss you.

Dn7uy8M.png
Yeah, I know. I wrote it, realized how bad it sounded, added a joke about it, and left it.

They gave it to the king of Pyrathi.
"We give Grust 70% of what we loot, and they give us a key for a jail cell. This is the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals"

My guess is he has a higher hit rate against Cain than Ogma.
But Ogma had a solid point of defense less and equal luck... and they usually prioritize damage or crit. But given that Ogma's faster, hit rate is the only explanation that makes sense.

Wow! Cain decided he didn't want to be the weak link any longer, it seems. Or he got miffed at my earlier remark of not being as dodgy as Ogma...
I'd like to think he was taking revenge the only way he knew how for being targeted. I mean, when you think about it, his best

Matthis, the bro. How very heartwarming!
I figured this chapter was a place to put in some character development... because quite a bit of the heavy work is being done by Wolf.

He's grumpy because of all the bullying.
Or he's still so shocked at Other Roger's reason to join you that words just fail him.
Maybe he's still trying to work out what happened

If only I used Wolf back then.
If only...
I mean, on lower difficulties you can get away with other knights. Wolf or Sedgar just happen to be better built for tanking.

Dracoknight Shiida hype!
What do you call an enemy about to face a promoted Caeda?

Spoiler

A mortician.

Very enjoyable part so far on a map that has given me many hours of grief back when I was bad at Shadow Dragon... well, worse than I am now, at any rate.
Looking forward to the next one!

On 7/29/2020 at 12:46 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

I will note that Mystery of the Emblem also added a single pirate to the Port Warren chapter whose faction is Pyrathi, and drops a Silver Axe. Make of that random fact what you will...

It means exactly what I always thought. Pyrathi is a footnote in book 1 rather than a chapter.

Part of it is just that the timing and circumstances have always been off for me to become an active member of a Saint Rubenio LP. By the time I first discovered the section of the Forums that LPs were hiding in there were so many pages of the Tear Ring Saga LP that I wasn't able to catch up, and with the Berick Saga one I was already doing a blind Berwick Saga LP (which I should get back too...darn summer steam sale always adding more distractions to my game lists...), so reading into another Berwick Saga LP felt would break that blind feel for my own...

I mean, that's understandable. Me, I don't know when I'll get around to Berwick myself, as I want to play it when I'm not distracted by a dozen things. So I'm content to read it instead.

Clever cav...well sorta, I mean you have the actions to waste two of them just trading it along if you wanted all 4 lance users of the chain to use it (and if the traders have range attacks they could even try to milk some xp with chip)

I mean he tried. If the others had tried as hard, perhaps they'd have succeeded.

Jagen is still trying to keep from being out shined by that next generation
Thanks to forged ridersbanes, he's going to be viable for a long while.

It always feels weird how dangerous the higher difficulties of FE games tend to make thieves. If their AI wasn't so strict, this could have been a disaster by them killing one of your troops, or stealing the other treasure, instead you have to chase down an enemy that will kill anyone he gets into melee combat with, with multiple turns to deal with him.

Thankfully, I had planned around the A.I. after being reminded of it last chapter. Though, technically Caeda would have been safe for melee combat, and thanks to flight pretty able to chase him down once those archers were done.

Why do you think they were out there? They had to call their roommate, the thief, to let them in after they locked themselves out...

What I can't work out is why there's a smaller castle being guarded by Zharov and a bigger one for keeping Maria prisoner. Who did their planning?

So many reinforcements to churn through...I feel tired just looking at them.

Thankfully, with them being so inneffective against Wolf... they're more a formality than a threat... with the one notable exception.

I would be tempted to suggest a silence of Marth counter, but I get the funny feeling my pointing it out before might have made this one more noticeable, and adding to the counter retroactively for previous silences might be kinda difficult...

I mean.. I could go through and count. Perhaps.

God those Horsemen are so RUDE. I was kinda thinking that might be a problem after I saw the second round of reinforcements arrive, but of course its the Horsemen that actually go and do it, passing through tiles no one else would recognize as passable...

Well, as I said... ledges inexplicably are mountains minus the terrain bonuses and plus their own unique animation. We found out the hard way they could travel mountains... and they repeated history. At least they haven't learned to open doors or raid treasure chests yet. But give it time.

what is shantae's brassiere size in tortoise forme?

Update

Spoiler

VKNSCaNZ_o.png
So when we left off, these two jerks were out to ruin my day. Let's see how that goes... when I get to it.
PPXobUXB_o.png5XZliMl9_o.pngag4UI2Na_o.pngqsckCXfZ_o.png
Anyway, first Ogma, seeing as he has a 100% chance of hitting the hero finishes him off for the Master Seal (which goes to the convoy).. and some HP and speed. For some reason I didn't take a screencap of the fight. Maybe because it's conclusion was guaranteed? Lena also heals Caeda that last bit because she's not staying put long.
XMGreaVe_o.png
I don't even know why I screenshot this. Priorities were clearly in order to get this and not the Hero's demise. It's even more forgone a conclusion.
9RqG39m4_o.pnggh9oenUx_o.png
Realized why Marth's not talking. He's been dead tired. Poor guy.
4DoDRHnf_o.png46E3BMya_o.pngAvBeAjLt_o.pngzamirFrp_o.png
G6QrDw7J_o.png8y18ds6e_o.pngJyz7caRu_o.pngXSOBM8nL_o.png
I find it aPallaing that she'd undEstimate the CaTrio of pegasus knights under her command. Well maybe not the youngEst. She's not the bEst unit.

PEbdISxB_o.pnga2RnVsVi_o.pngWPWNYTzJ_o.pngpdYxVbVK_o.png
Minerva's sick of Maria forcibly recruiting herself into people's army's every time she decides she likes how they look. Come to think of it, maybe Marth learned something from Caeda after all, given in that one move he recruits Maria, Minerva, Catria, Palla and Est. Without even acknowledging the girl. Difference is, Caeda knows what she's doing.
D1hgDoZL_o.png6voipYj8_o.pngqseUyDSp_o.pngIPRU8Psf_o.png
"War is nothing like your stories of princes and damsels. I'm afraid you'd be locked up for war crimes if you punished people the way those Brothers Grimm have their villains executed".
N05G7cmg_o.pngp6fgi3Yj_o.pngazYwaU8c_o.png1ypqhoSk_o.png
I mean, good luck fighting when you can't even use any weapon.
aOyHzE3i_o.png5mnKeZOi_o.pngeW6NhoQj_o.png
"If you want to risk your life to try and impress a guy who doesn't even know you exist because he's involved with a Goddess, go right ahead".
mXvFIebk_o.pngrnhswtmp_o.png
Ogma gets healed and everyone else positions themselves.
9porE5Sa_o.png
I just remembered why I screenshot the other Wolf one. He's now two shotting the enemy cavs.
p1JvLSms_o.png
Player phase has me realize that my plan... where Abel was going to one shot one horseman and Caeda the other was flawed because that space... was in fact a ledge too. I thought it was a plain... but was mistaken. Regardless... calls for a change in tactics.
8clQan9h_o.pngXl9MuEyy_o.png
Anyway, after checking the horseman using the levin sword... Ogma gets healed by Wrys and proceeds to the spot one space lower than where he checked (so both only one horseman can hit him). Also Wrys is still on  the path to invulnerability to magic.
dcuROjsQ_o.pngRAQnUiPz_o.pngvPNMJfjs_o.pngYclcSvII_o.png
Between enemy phase and player phase (or vice Versa) the next cav gets wrecked and Wolf gets that bit closer to complete invulnerability... or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof. Not that it stops chumps from trying.
lBismYTT_o.pngdyrTuQEk_o.png
Meanwhile, the Horsemen watch in awe as Ogma does his He-man impression as a diversion. But...
twgNjc4B_o.png8BQ68Zv9_o.png3RFRyIUT_o.pngRRrPROLH_o.png
It leaves them wide open for Caeda and Abel. Look, 100% hit rates on both. Seemed a good time to save in case of poor planning from here. Plus I'm kind of taking some units to the stores... and dealing with that knight... and that curate. For the record it's Ukyo and Matthis travelling with Barst.
Hufupzk7_o.pngggGnBtY0_o.png
Wrys suffers an accident relating to his advanced age while tending to Ogma's wounds. Nothing new, and he's used to it.
F3zztAXQ_o.png
Enemy phase... something finally happens. See, now that a knight has reached Wolf, he actually takes damage at last regardless of what weapon he uses. So I can justify...
DNbA1wsg_o.pnghgNLRulN_o.png
Helping Wolf brush up on his archery skills.
xdji2pXs_o.png
End of phase status. You may note I haven't promoted Caeda. Seeing as I had to have her kill that horseman, I decided she's more than halfway to a level, and since she's gonna be killing the boss regardless, i may as well see if I can't get a good level one last time.
IKiiWVYs_o.pngTVwpOQrT_o.pngPDCX5CLr_o.png
Wolf may be taking damage now... but he's dishing out even more. Yet another crit for the crit counter.

42O3paPt_o.pngL6BLIOua_o.png9cWgRZTx_o.png
So come player phase he finishes the last horseman, and with Wendell's help switches back to lances and heals. Meanwhile, near the castle, Barst sets up to bait the knight.
qwEHm184_o.pngpS1uAfTq_o.png
Matthis and Ukyo make sure this Curate isn't going to interfere with anything. Not sure how in retrospect. Barst and Caeda can one round their targets. This guy isn't a necromancer, he's just a curate.
jd31rSie_o.png
Also Julian, Jagen and Minerva buy some stuff. Pure waters, vulneraries, javelins. That kind of thing. I forget exactly what by now.
rg1htUJv_o.pngzqAvLaog_o.png
Barst doesn't just one round, he crits on the second shot... when it doesn't even save a weapon use. But it helps keep him competitive with Wolf for the most crits. Speaking of Wolf, it's good to see him dodging an 86%.... even if he'd have taken 2 damage from it.
0C8LhvWV_o.png
Need I even make a joke about how one sided this fight is? Honestly?
GbLcZufN_o.png
Zharov did not read the battle forecast.
zkbDbSVO_o.png9EfcU3Mk_o.png
I'm mildly impressed that he managed to hit with that. But only mildly.
tI9HT9hs_o.png
I was going to make a joke about this, but I reckon it felt a little forced.
HIX7CGC8_o.pngHcY7he03_o.png
Well... it's what I was banking on when I decided to have her kill the boss before promoting. But seeing it made me burst out laughing. I'm not even gonna complain about the defense.
oURRVFZb_o.pnggHDuVqc7_o.png3DPGwI3a_o.pngMp8fkr23_o.png
Anyway, Wolf's still working on the reinforcements. Because when I said he wasn't wanting to budge, I meant it. He missed one of the HP growths that time, but hell it hardly matters. He only needs to get the 2 any 4 of the levels and he's got max HP as a general. He's also reached A rank lances.
3WLJ1uo3_o.pngZs0EuEaU_o.pngHbt7nULv_o.png
It's time for the big one. (Not the speedwing. I'll decide who gets that later). Caeda trades in Bradamante for the master seal.
n5q4gRMO_o.png
Look at this. She's got more HP than Barst, and as much strength. Skill to outstrip Wolf and Ogma, more speed and luck than anyone else, equal defense to Minerva. Even Wolf only beats her in Strength, HP and Defense. I should also note, she's literally one strength away from hitting her 20/20 average (rounded down to a whole number).
TFDRLeej_o.png
Oh... and she can use axes in case I ever want to for reasons pertaining to WTA.
rv52ekS1_o.pngUqZHsZ22_o.png
Anyway, Lena heals Barst, Wolf endures a pointless enemy phase. I mean, now even silver lance knights do 1 damage. It's one sided.
yJKOTiKK_o.pngRqTZeHRw_o.pngAcMZOPP7_o.png
Caeda gets healed by Lena for exp (for Lena obviously), and Wolf decides to speed up the process by using his bow to damage the cavalier (for wexp as well seeing as he's still b-rank there) then having Wendell switch him back to his Iron Lance.
wbG8PZxX_o.pngOnLHUiBv_o.png
This allows him to kill both the already damaged knight and cav on enemy phase and damage one of the two remaining cavs. Needless to say we do it again on the next player phase and heal Wolf with Wendell for that level... which was a little lacking to say the least.
PXMpYEPl_o.png
Lena on the other hand gets magic, which makes her better at healing than Wrys... if not tanking magic. I'm fine with that. Either one's pretty usable at this point.
A1hVsZQA_o.pngmyPGb0Xb_o.pngRHdM5efs_o.pnghHWZwBJS_o.png
Sensing the chapter's end.. Wolf engages in one last bit of showmanship to rub it in. He dodges an 80% then proccs a (completely superfluous) 7% crit. On the same damn enemy. He's a bit less showy about finishing the final foe. Perhaps it was a failed intimidation tactic and the other cav was just too thick to get the idea Wolf could end a hundred like him, presuming he had a full set of new iron lances. Up to two hundred if he crits ever time.
OgYdgkz8_o.pngtxINKZAl_o.pngCYWiLaDY_o.png2Y7UG905_o.png
Here we see Marth once again knows information about the world as exposition is presented as a regular conversation instead of a character not knowing something. Certain other FE lord's would have benefited from this approach.
TTXevOya_o.pngb0iKxHN6_o.pngh2AYCwX7_o.png
One last dumb joke I must make. It's notable Aura in Archanea is exclusive to female units. But apparently Miloah... who is male, could use it. What gives there?
Is it time for a conspiracy theory where Miloah was actually Linde's mother and posed as a man to avoid prejuidice/Gharnef being a creep?
No one likes that idea? Well what if Gharnef was actually Miloah's lover... and it resulted in a scene where Linde confronted him... and it was revealed Gharnef did not kill Linde's father.. because he is Linde's father? ORIGINAL PLOT DONUT STEEL.
lQ56MKcF_o.png
Oh look, it's that preview for next time. Until then...
Deaths:
My evasion of arenas
My credibility.
Tradition*
Slow Cav
*-revived
Crit Counter:
Abel: 3
Barst: 9
Caeda:8
Cain:2
Draug:2
MarcusJagen:2
Marth:2
Merric:1
Ogma:3
Wolf:10
Generic enemy:1
Pollux Disappointed Counter: 3

Well what if Gharnef was actually Miloah's lover...

Fan art. NOW.

Also 10 strength on Caeda before promotion what world is this and why am I not in it.

Spoiler

Or because Merric did something for once?

Because Merric stole Matthis's boss kill, the bastard.

Reese has been working for Volcens. Mind Volcens is so blatant Reese can see he's so full of shit his eyes are brown.

Maybe that's why he can't figure out when people are lying to him. He considers Volcens to be the standard for evil. He cannot fathom that anybody else could possibly be evil because there is nobody worse than Volcens.

Also if you got to the wiki (the dot com one), hilariously enough it's referred to as "Cliff" in both the FE1 and FE3 segments. Why is this hilarious? Because whoever linked it to a page fell into the old pitfall and linked it to the character Kliff.

Ahh, the FE wikis. Pick your poison: the one with info that is wrong, or the one that breaks every two days and is hell to browse on anything that isn't a computer.

I still remember when I found this gem in the bad wiki's article for Oliver's chapter in RD.

Watch out for the reinforcements that spawn on all three sides over the course of like 10 turns, one group of mages spawns with a meteor user who is there solely to pick off one of your weak ass units because to hell with your effort.

It has since been fixed, which frankly I find to be a terrible loss.

Me, I don't know when I'll get around to Berwick myself, as I want to play it when I'm not distracted by a dozen things. So I'm content to read it instead.

Sacrifice the dozen things. Play Berwick Saga, and you'll be very glad you did.

what is shantae's brassiere size in tortoise forme?

That depends. Are Luigi boards dangerouse if you ask something about ghost?

gh9oenUx_o.png
Realized why Marth's not talking. He's been dead tired. Poor guy.

I mean, when has he stopped to rest in this whole game? The game never, ever shows any night-time conversation backgrounds. Maybe this whole game is taking place in one day. He's just traveling from one place to the other without a minute to rest. No wonder he's exhausted.

Xl9MuEyy_o.png
Anyway, after checking the horseman using the levin sword... Ogma gets healed by Wrys and proceeds to the spot one space lower than where he checked (so both only one horseman can hit him). Also Wrys is still on  the path to invulnerability to magic.

Wrys wants to give Wendell a run for his money when it comes to being the speediest old man alive.

For the record it's Ukyo and Matthis travelling with Barst.

Please. As if Matthis needed two bodyguards.

xdji2pXs_o.png
End of phase status. You may note I haven't promoted Caeda. Seeing as I had to have her kill that horseman, I decided she's more than halfway to a level, and since she's gonna be killing the boss regardless, i may as well see if I can't get a good level one last time.

Ahh, yes. Classic FE: refusing to promote units who have leftover experience, because c'mon, it's just one kill!

0C8LhvWV_o.png

If he actually used his speedwing he might stand a small chance. Actually, he'd still get doubled or killed. But then you wouldn't get the speedwing, and that's a victory for Zharov.

Sadly, he's a hoarder. "Yeah, okay, I might die, but what if I need this in the endgame?"

tI9HT9hs_o.png

Your puns never feel forced. I wish I had your talent. I've been trying to come up with one to reply with for two minutes, but it's just not coming to me.

Well... it's what I was banking on when I decided to have her kill the boss before promoting.

Strength? Bosskills? Recruits? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Caeda!

n5q4gRMO_o.png

This is the most absurd pegasus knight I've seen since RNG-blessed Murderprincess. Congratulations. You got yourself your very own version of that. Now I just hope she doesn't turn out to be so twisted.

Well what if Gharnef was actually Miloah's lover... and it resulted in a scene where Linde confronted him... and it was revealed Gharnef did not kill Linde's father.. because he is Linde's father?

Qbnzv7ll o

On 7/29/2020 at 4:46 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:

I wouldn't recommend reading Saint Rubenio's LPs. He can't play FE, he keeps making the same four jokes over and over and he's an asshole. You don't really miss out on much.

1 hour ago, JimmyBeans said:

Fan art. NOW.

Inside the spoilers. Thank me later.

Spoiler
On 8/1/2020 at 2:02 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

"Fellow Russian". Aha. I now know your secret.

I don't know what you discovered because I didn't even try to put anything, sir central african.

"Yakko Warner presents nations of the world... but only ones The Roger has been accused of living in"

Not a bad idea Danish.

But is it theoretically possible?

Perhaps, but the more baffling thing is it happened physically.

I mean, they can't really dash if they're flying can they?

I meant the "-" thing.

I mean, I spent a lot of time there as a kid. It's kind of depressing when I think it won't be a fraction of what it was for my kids unless something changes.

Oh do you plan to have kids?

Like "cute kid" cute?

Yeah I guess.

azYwaU8c_o.png

"No protesting" Woah Maria here with the fax lol.

GbLcZufN_o.png

he doesn't believe in any of that Caeda warming.

tI9HT9hs_o.png

Arrrrg- HAHAHHAhA good one mister Botswana.

Well... it's what I was banking on when I decided to have her kill the boss before promoting. But seeing it made me burst out laughing. I'm not even gonna complain about the defense.

Woah even more strength. epic

OgYdgkz8_o.pngtxINKZAl_o.pngCYWiLaDY_o.png2Y7UG905_o.png
Here we see Marth once again knows information about the world as exposition is presented as a regular conversation instead of a character not knowing something. Certain other FE lord's would have benefited from this approach.

I do like this, it's pretty cool.

One last dumb joke I must make. It's notable Aura in Archanea is exclusive to female units. But apparently Miloah... who is male, could use it. What gives there?
Is it time for a conspiracy theory where Miloah was actually Linde's mother and posed as a man to avoid prejuidice/Gharnef being a creep?
No one likes that idea? Well what if Gharnef was actually Miloah's lover... and it resulted in a scene where Linde confronted him... and it was revealed Gharnef did not kill Linde's father.. because he is Linde's father? ORIGINAL PLOT DONUT STEEL.

That is an interesting point you bring, I dunno maybe it's just that he is too powerful or something.

On 8/1/2020 at 12:02 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

I know. It even has it's own animation in battle, it's own movement penalties (the same as mountains), but unlike mountains doesn't have the bonuses.

The old pitfalls wiki can still add some accidental comedy to the Fire Emblem community with its incompetence.

I find it aPallaing that she'd undEstimate the CaTrio of pegasus knights under her command. Well maybe not the youngEst. She's not the bEst unit.

Poor Estus is doing her bestus. She even know this game well enough to come equipped with a fresh Ridersbane, and gifts you the Mercurius to boot (not to mention unlocking the terrifying power of effective weapon triangle attacks just in time for Camus's death...). Give the poor girl a chance if you can, who knows maybe Roger will lead to the rise of house Est like the Bradamante predicted.

"If you want to risk your life to try and impress a guy who doesn't even know you exist because he's involved with a Goddess, go right ahead".

Maria really does sound like a "nice girl" in this light, trying to get a bunch of love points on the battle field to win Marth as her prize. Too bad for her (and her fans) this isn't one of the Fire Emblems obsessed enough with shipping to have things work that way...

Wrys suffers an accident relating to his advanced age while tending to Ogma's wounds. Nothing new, and he's used to it.

Ran out of his "blood pressure" medication did he

Your luck with her is absurd... she is acting like she has double the strength growth she actually does.

dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf88

On 8/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

I wouldn't recommend reading Saint Rubenio's LPs. He can't play FE, he keeps making the same four jokes over and over and he's an asshole. You don't really miss out on much.

Bah don't sell yourself short like that, even if it is just deprecating humor. I even had a comment earlier in this thread (which to be fair was obtusely hidden behind obscure game references) about how disastrous gameplay can make for more entertaining LPs, and having a consistent style isn't a bad thing either. Plus I already read through the old FE12 one linked in your sig (and part way through the FE6 one, although I decided to wait til the FE6 Succession game finishes before I get back to that, which will hopefully be soon...) it was just too old to comment on without necroing.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:02 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

I hope that he does honestly. If I can one shot Camus with him on H5, it'll be one of the greatest moments ever. Plus it'd save wear and tear on the Gradivus if Camus doesn't get to use it.

Here's hopin'!

Cursed cleric, we miss you.

F

Yeah, I know. I wrote it, realized how bad it sounded, added a joke about it, and left it.

That reaction image aside, I actually thought that was pretty funny.
I was trying not to make the obvious joke.

"We give Grust 70% of what we loot, and they give us a key for a jail cell. This is the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals"

"My lord, why did you not turn into a dragon to strike us a better deal?"
"Because they have the bigger dragon backing them up. That stuff doesn't work anymore."

I mean, on lower difficulties you can get away with other knights. Wolf or Sedgar just happen to be better built for tanking.

This was the map Draug died on in my first playthrough. I put him in the southern doorway to stop the reinforcements, but their numbers were too much for the poor guy.

What do you call an enemy about to face a promoted Caeda?

Ha! Nice one! XD

Anyway, first Ogma, seeing as he has a 100% chance of hitting the hero finishes him off for the Master Seal (which goes to the convoy).. and some HP and speed.

The Mercenary faces off against the Hero... it's like a student surpassing their master.
Except not really.

High quality puns, as usual.
Come to think of it, if Catria was the one who sent us here... where is she after the map?

She's played the game before. She knows she can promote!
Or class change. But what would you even class change her to, really?

Player phase has me realize that my plan... where Abel was going to one shot one horseman and Caeda the other was flawed because that space... was in fact a ledge too. I thought it was a plain... but was mistaken. Regardless... calls for a change in tactics.

Abel now wants one of those mountain-climbing horses.
Too bad he's unAbel to become a Horseman, to my knowledge.

Also Wrys is still on  the path to invulnerability to magic.

That's it, I'm calling him Magic-proof Grandpa from now on.

Between enemy phase and player phase (or vice Versa) the next cav gets wrecked and Wolf gets that bit closer to complete invulnerability... or at least a reasonable facsimile thereof. Not that it stops chumps from trying.

25 Defence...
Oh my goodness!

and that curate.

They spotted a new toy for Wolf. Too bad he lost interest after he broke his last one.

Wolf may be taking damage now... but he's dishing out even more. Yet another crit for the crit counter.

And he's too busy destroying things, anyway.

Matthis and Ukyo make sure this Curate isn't going to interfere with anything. Not sure how in retrospect. Barst and Caeda can one round their targets. This guy isn't a necromancer, he's just a curate.

Maybe he was the one curate in the family who curses the enemy instead and Matthis and Ukyo were savy enough to notice?

Also Julian, Jagen and Minerva buy some stuff.

I can picture them happily walking through town, discussing what to buy...
It's kind of a weird picture, considering the characters involved, but still.

Yeah... that guy is toast.

That, or he's in denial.

Heh.

Well... it's what I was banking on when I decided to have her kill the boss before promoting.

HOLY---

Look at this. She's got more HP than Barst, and as much strength. Skill to outstrip Wolf and Ogma, more speed and luck than anyone else, equal defense to Minerva. Even Wolf only beats her in Strength, HP and Defense. I should also note, she's literally one strength away from hitting her 20/20 average (rounded down to a whole number).

RIP game.
If only the Dracoknight Speed cap was a little higher...

... I accept this as canon.
And I won't let anyone convince me otherwise.

---

Great part, as usual! Looking forward to the next one!

On 8/2/2020 at 1:00 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Inside the spoilers. Thank me later.

... This is so cursed, yet so blessed at the same time...

On 8/1/2020 at 3:02 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

tenor.gif

puns, puns everywhere 👌

Minerva's sick of Maria forcibly recruiting herself into people's army's every time she decides she likes how they look. Come to think of it, maybe Marth learned something from Caeda after all, given in that one move he recruits Maria, Minerva, Catria, Palla and Est. Without even acknowledging the girl. Difference is, Caeda knows what she's doing.

Marth's accidental harem. Come to think of it, that kind of sounds like the name of a romcom anime.

They do try to fight back in Tellius by whacking enemies with their staff. It does no damage of course, but the effort counts for something.

I just remembered why I screenshot the other Wolf one. He's now two shotting the enemy cavs.

An armor knight two-shotting...now that's something you don't see every day.

"Notice me, Roger-Senpai!"

Not that it stops chumps from trying.

Gotta nab that extra exp.

It leaves them wide open for Caeda and Abel.

She will undoubtedly Caeda you through and the cav will unfailingly be Abel to eliminate all enemies. those puns weren't forced at all, no sir /s

The other crit god.

How cruel. Killing the unarmed? For shame. Even though I've done that countless times in my own FE playthroughs.

*insert laughing gif*

giphy.gif

----------

Great update. Up next is one of the better maps in FE11, in my personal opinion. 👍

Spoiler

TOO BAD, IMMA APOLOGIZE ANYWAYS!! I'm a canadian, and I will always apologize!

That's right! I'm unapologetic about apologizing!

Sorry about missin' the update!

On 8/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, Saint Rubenio said:
Qbnzv7ll o

AGH! AAAGH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!! NOO! MY EYEESSSS

2fKt5gOn_o.png

It's a good thing you have to sieze to beat this map, because if he was Zharoving around the map he'd be a lot scarier.

0C8LhvWV_o.png

It appears I was mistaken.

The average Ryan caps Strength and skill pretty early on average (20/12 and 20/9). He also tends to come pretty close to capping speed (1 off at 20/20). His 20/20 average for HP is 56.4, his average def at 20/20 is 21.3 (of 23). You can actually get him to that strength cap pretty early by making use of the hunter class without screwing his speed or skill too much. You might lose out on defense though... if you keep him out of enemy range that shouldn't be a problem. Really the ability to be hunter before promoting and sniper after alone  makes the archers in FE12 a lot better than FE11.

The average Ryan is not a mage...

Also, I've found Mage Catria to be unironically really good.

UUkyo

Ha!

But if things went that way, there'd have been no breakup because the gag wouldn't have got off the ground.

But...Hm... RNGoddess has secret affair with The Roger?

What have I created?

More importantly, what will Manyvern create together?

It's funny actually... the only things he's levelling reliably are speed, luck and HP. That defense, skill and strength are 1 off base.

Best UUnit.

Now that is a debatable claim, I feel like Conquest comes closer to 3rd, but I suspect a clever enough argument could convince me of a ranking as low as 5th... hmm.... I just might open up a topic about ranking the difficulties of the games...eventually...

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be no. 1 and 2? Presumably FE12 at no. 1... Or FE2 because it's nearly impossible to beat because it's so slow.

Hey guys.
I hate to do this... but I'm gonna have to say I'm not sure when I'll be doing next update. Since the last update, I've had issues with my eustachian tubes being blocked by what is suspected to be a viral cause. Regardless, the continued ringing, discomfort/pain, and occasional loss of balance have proven more than distracting on simple tasks... and seeing as using headphones (which I do when on a computer) seems to be make it worse... I'm figuring trying to play is a bad idea for the moment, both for the health of my units and my hearing/balance. I'll hopefully be back to normal (well relatively speaking) soon.

4 hours ago, Benice said:

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider to be no. 1 and 2? Presumably FE12 at no. 1... Or FE2 because it's nearly impossible to beat because it's so slow.

You are right about FE12 at no. 1, and as for no.2 I was actually thinking the ludicrous horse shit that is Awakening Lunatic+. I really should just create the thread I was thinking about shouldn't I.

11 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Hey guys.
I hate to do this... but I'm gonna have to say I'm not sure when I'll be doing next update. Since the last update, I've had issues with my eustachian tubes being blocked by what is suspected to be a viral cause. Regardless, the continued ringing, discomfort/pain, and occasional loss of balance have proven more than distracting on simple tasks... and seeing as using headphones (which I do when on a computer) seems to be make it worse... I'm figuring trying to play is a bad idea for the moment, both for the health of my units and my hearing/balance. I'll hopefully be back to normal (well relatively speaking) soon.

Thanks for the update, and take care of yourself. I hope you get well soon, and don't worry too much about delaying the next update, your health is far more important.

Oh geez, I'm so sorry! Take care of yourself, it's more important than making puns. Hope that you're OK!

Hey again guys.
I thought I'd give a quick update. I've had a secondary visit to the doctors today. Whatever it was seems to be settling in my ears... but alas because the problems were in the Eustachian tubes (which to save a quick google search are used to relieve pressure in the ear by having excess fluids exit into the throat) ... the released fluids seem to have resulted in a throat infection. Mind, that's easily enough dealt with thanks to the fact this is pure infection rather than a virus.... and so given anti-biotics I doubt I'll be out of the game too much longer (speaking from experience). Even my first couple doses seem to have had a good effect... though that could be optimism talking.

As an amusing aside... seems even real life gave me ridiculous luck. I stopped for food on the way home from the doctor (takeaway naturally), and as it went the guy before me turned out to be an absolute prick. When his order (which was dine in and everything) didn't all come through at once, he threw a fit and demanded it all be made so it's finished at the same time. Anyway, because he was going to have a bunch of perfectly good food dumped for no reason, the woman serving me asked if I wanted it (to help make up for the delay douchebag caused natch). Long story short, instead of getting bite to eat to go with my tablet... I ended up with a full meal and tomorrow's breakfast. That said, I do feel sorry for the staff having to put up with that guy.

44 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Hey again guys.
I thought I'd give a quick update. I've had a secondary visit to the doctors today. Whatever it was seems to be settling in my ears... but alas because the problems were in the Eustachian tubes (which to save a quick google search are used to relieve pressure in the ear by having excess fluids exit into the throat) ... the released fluids seem to have resulted in a throat infection. Mind, that's easily enough dealt with thanks to the fact this is pure infection rather than a virus.... and so given anti-biotics I doubt I'll be out of the game too much longer (speaking from experience). Even my first couple doses seem to have had a good effect... though that could be optimism talking.

I'm glad you're doing better. Please stay well, and don't rush it. We can wait.

45 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

As an amusing aside... seems even real life gave me ridiculous luck. I stopped for food on the way home from the doctor (takeaway naturally), and as it went the guy before me turned out to be an absolute prick. When his order (which was dine in and everything) didn't all come through at once, he threw a fit and demanded it all be made so it's finished at the same time. Anyway, because he was going to have a bunch of perfectly good food dumped for no reason, the woman serving me asked if I wanted it (to help make up for the delay douchebag caused natch). Long story short, instead of getting bite to eat to go with my tablet... I ended up with a full meal and tomorrow's breakfast. That said, I do feel sorry for the staff having to put up with that guy.

I'll be damned, that's... extremely lucky for you. The poor workers, though. I've seen the horror stories of working in retail... Guess this is just one more.

Anyway, while we wait for The Roger to return, here's a little thing I just made: the riveting sequel to the Gharloah S-rank.

Spoiler
Frjqfiqa o

The Roger had better return soon, or else I may be tempted to portray their divorce as well...