Testing the Waters I've Gone off the Deep-end. A Shadow Dragon H5 test-run

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Hey again guys.
I thought I'd give a quick update. I've had a secondary visit to the doctors today. Whatever it was seems to be settling in my ears... but alas because the problems were in the Eustachian tubes (which to save a quick google search are used to relieve pressure in the ear by having excess fluids exit into the throat) ... the released fluids seem to have resulted in a throat infection. Mind, that's easily enough dealt with thanks to the fact this is pure infection rather than a virus.... and so given anti-biotics I doubt I'll be out of the game too much longer (speaking from experience). Even my first couple doses seem to have had a good effect... though that could be optimism talking.

Glad to hear you're on the upswing. Keep taking care of yourself though. That's the most important thing.

As an amusing aside... seems even real life gave me ridiculous luck. I stopped for food on the way home from the doctor (takeaway naturally), and as it went the guy before me turned out to be an absolute prick. When his order (which was dine in and everything) didn't all come through at once, he threw a fit and demanded it all be made so it's finished at the same time. Anyway, because he was going to have a bunch of perfectly good food dumped for no reason, the woman serving me asked if I wanted it (to help make up for the delay douchebag caused natch). Long story short, instead of getting bite to eat to go with my tablet... I ended up with a full meal and tomorrow's breakfast. That said, I do feel sorry for the staff having to put up with that guy.

Good to hear something positive happened to you. I can only imaging how difficult it must be for the workers who have to deal with jackasses like that guy.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler
2 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Hey again guys.
I thought I'd give a quick update. I've had a secondary visit to the doctors today. Whatever it was seems to be settling in my ears... but alas because the problems were in the Eustachian tubes (which to save a quick google search are used to relieve pressure in the ear by having excess fluids exit into the throat) ... the released fluids seem to have resulted in a throat infection. Mind, that's easily enough dealt with thanks to the fact this is pure infection rather than a virus.... and so given anti-biotics I doubt I'll be out of the game too much longer (speaking from experience). Even my first couple doses seem to have had a good effect... though that could be optimism talking.

Well stuff is improving, that's good.

As an amusing aside... seems even real life gave me ridiculous luck. I stopped for food on the way home from the doctor (takeaway naturally), and as it went the guy before me turned out to be an absolute prick. When his order (which was dine in and everything) didn't all come through at once, he threw a fit and demanded it all be made so it's finished at the same time. Anyway, because he was going to have a bunch of perfectly good food dumped for no reason, the woman serving me asked if I wanted it (to help make up for the delay douchebag caused natch). Long story short, instead of getting bite to eat to go with my tablet... I ended up with a full meal and tomorrow's breakfast. That said, I do feel sorry for the staff having to put up with that guy.

That's pretty good luck too, free food ftw!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, while we wait for The Roger to return, here's a little thing I just made: the riveting sequel to the Gharloah S-rank.

Hide contents
Frjqfiqa o

The Roger had better return soon, or else I may be tempted to portray their divorce as well...

Why Ruben. Why.

Hey again guys.

Happy to hear you're doing a little better!
Rest well, and take your time!

Nice to hear something good happened to you! The staff of the place you went to is really nice.
Enjoy your meal!

23 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Great! Glad to hear that you're doing better! No rush to start this up again, take care of yourself!

• 3 months later...

Part 17: The return to Archanea.

Well here I am again... after many months and six courses of antibiotics for varied infections. (I guess all the good luck in the run needed a counter-weight in the form of bad luck elsewhere, so surely it's evened out by now, right?).  I want to thank you all for your well wishes, (though I'm afraid I'll skip them in the replies, because, you know... I've no creative way to thank people individually, so I'm doing it collectively here.) I wish I was back earlier, but I guess we have to make do with the hand we're dealt.

Anyway, during my absence, there was much debate between Gharnef's lawyers (as Medeus isn't one for litigation) and those of the kingdom of Talys (as they've been prepped for this since the game started) on whether or not Caeda's use constitutes a breach of the Geneva protocal. After many objections and appeals, it was determined that for Caeda to qualify as a "biological weapons" because of the fact she is an organic entity, would mean that all soldiers on both sides would qualify as "biological weapons.
A moot point, because as it turns out, Dohlr's torture and execution of POW's, and attempts to kill non-combatants is frowned upon by the convention. So the gloves are off.

Long overdue replies

Spoiler
On 8/2/2020 at 7:37 AM, JimmyBeans said:

Fan art. NOW.
Well, by now you've seen Saint Rubenio's fan art.... though I must admit I regret he never got the divorce in.

Also 10 strength on Caeda before promotion what world is this and why am I not in it.
I have no idea what happened there. I may never know what's going on with Caeda's strength growth. But I'm loving it. (McDonalds don't sue please)

On 8/2/2020 at 9:00 AM, Saint Rubenio said:
  Hide contents

Because Merric stole Matthis's boss kill, the bastard.
Honestly, I needed that boss dead. If I stuck around, there was a significant chance of one of the pirates killing someone.

Maybe that's why he can't figure out when people are lying to him. He considers Volcens to be the standard for evil. He cannot fathom that anybody else could possibly be evil because there is nobody worse than Volcens.
I mean... apparently there is, having seen as far into your LP. At least Volcens isn't a certain individual responsible for the lack of reasonable Razites, or a certain former king.

Ahh, the FE wikis. Pick your poison: the one with info that is wrong, or the one that breaks every two days and is hell to browse on anything that isn't a computer.

I still remember when I found this gem in the bad wiki's article for Oliver's chapter in RD.

It has since been fixed, which frankly I find to be a terrible loss.
I mourn that loss. The use of "like" in a wiki, and the otherwise unprofessional conduct of the writer was comedy gold.

Sacrifice the dozen things. Play Berwick Saga, and you'll be very glad you did.
I sacrificed the dozen things so I could lay in a sickbed apparently. Go figure.

That depends. Are Luigi boards dangerouse if you ask something about ghost?
I imagine they get spooked by ghosts easily.

I mean, when has he stopped to rest in this whole game? The game never, ever shows any night-time conversation backgrounds. Maybe this whole game is taking place in one day. He's just traveling from one place to the other without a minute to rest. No wonder he's exhausted.
I imagine it's just nothing important is happening at night, because armies need to rest, eat, drink, etc. We never see any of it, so I assume it happens at night. Or on turns where nothing happens.

Wrys wants to give Wendell a run for his money when it comes to being the speediest old man alive.
He's bound to catch up at this rate. I mean, even if he promotes he's caught up.

Please. As if Matthis needed two bodyguards.
Who said they were the bodyguards?

Ahh, yes. Classic FE: refusing to promote units who have leftover experience, because c'mon, it's just one kill!
I mean, seeing as how my luck with Caeda has been, can you blame me for hoping lightning would strike again?

If he actually used his speedwing he might stand a small chance. Actually, he'd still get doubled or killed. But then you wouldn't get the speedwing, and that's a victory for Zharov.

Sadly, he's a hoarder. "Yeah, okay, I might die, but what if I need this in the endgame?"
To be honest, he could use the speedwing and he'd still not double my slowest regularly deployed unit. So all he could have done is spite me.

Your puns never feel forced. I wish I had your talent. I've been trying to come up with one to reply with for two minutes, but it's just not coming to me.
It's actually been a bit harder since being sick, I must admit. I try, but don't seem to have the same punch as before.

Strength? Bosskills? Recruits? You want it? It's yours, my friend, as long as you have enough Caeda!
Broken unit. 12/10

This is the most absurd pegasus knight I've seen since RNG-blessed Murderprincess. Congratulations. You got yourself your very own version of that. Now I just hope she doesn't turn out to be so twisted.
Oh boy. Sasha was one of my favourite things about the TRS LP. Now we get to see how ridiculous this can get.

Qbnzv7ll o

An amusing thought. At one point while I was sick, I had the idea that I need to do a parody of "A whole new world" from Aladdin... but with Gharnef and Miloah.

I wouldn't recommend reading Saint Rubenio's LPs. He can't play FE, he keeps making the same four jokes over and over and he's an asshole. You don't really miss out on much.
I would, but he'd threaten to kill me so I won't.

Inside the spoilers. Thank me later.
Thanks. (Was that late enough for you?)

On 8/3/2020 at 2:44 PM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

I don't know what you discovered because I didn't even try to put anything, sir central african.
Sure you didn't, comrade.

Not a bad idea Danish.
Sad thing is, it'd probably be more up to date/accurate than the original was.

Perhaps, but the more baffling thing is it happened physically.

I can't actually work out what we were talking about here... I'm sorry.

I meant the "-" thing.
I couldn't resist making the pun. I apologize. Wait... that's two apologies in a row. Now I look Canadian, and that's Benice's schtick.

Oh do you plan to have kids?
That is the plan... assuming that I find the right woman.

Yeah I guess.

"No protesting" Woah Maria here with the fax lol.
She sure doesn't staff around.

he doesn't believe in any of that Caeda warming.

He'll never sucCaedat battling pegasus knights that way.

Arrrrg- HAHAHHAhA good one mister Botswana.
I resist making bad jokes in the same way one resists damage from Luna. Not at all.

Woah even more strength. epic
Quite. She's now just off her 20/20 average... after promotion. She only needs to proc it once more, and it's like she's hit her expected levels for the game.

I do like this, it's pretty cool.
One of the game's strong points. It may not characterize non-plot characters... but it sure does it's work with Marth.

That is an interesting point you bring, I dunno maybe it's just that he is too powerful or something.
After some research, I discovered that apparently there's a conversation in Fire Emblem Warriors that reveals that Miloah, prior to dying, sealed the tome to only be usable by women to stop Gharnef making use of it. Though funny enough, in FE1, apparently it was Linde exclusive. I'd have to check that out when that's ported to switch. On a similar note, apparently the Wing Spear and Hauteclare were additions for this remake.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:17 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

The old pitfalls wiki can still add some accidental comedy to the Fire Emblem community with its incompetence.

Funny enough, every time I hear "Pitfall", I think of the old game of the same name. Don't know if everyone else does it, or it's just me.

Poor Estus is doing her bestus. She even know this game well enough to come equipped with a fresh Ridersbane, and gifts you the Mercurius to boot (not to mention unlocking the terrifying power of effective weapon triangle attacks just in time for Camus's death...). Give the poor girl a chance if you can, who knows maybe Roger will lead to the rise of house Est like the Bradamante predicted.

I'll have to see how my team manages to grow. If someone's fell off significantly.... she might be in luck.

Maria really does sound like a "nice girl" in this light, trying to get a bunch of love points on the battle field to win Marth as her prize. Too bad for her (and her fans) this isn't one of the Fire Emblems obsessed enough with shipping to have things work that way...

I mean, in some ways I prefer the singular canonical approach for relationships. At least, some of the time. Pent and Louise. Marth and Caeda. Sigurd and Deidre. The Roger the Paladin and Mel. (I mean, who didn't see that coming)

Ran out of his "blood pressure" medication did he

Plot twist. Wrys has low blood pressure, a trait associated with longevity. Unfortunately, it also makes him prone to fatigue (hence his movement).

Your luck with her is absurd... she is acting like she has double the strength growth she actually does.

I've never seen a Caeda this good in all my playthroughs either. So I'm going to enjoy every moment of it, while hoping that she doesn't somehow backfire by being too good for her own good.

dcvcozy-796d38f7-68ca-4d52-8825-4f49bf88

I found out some George Lucas guy ripped off my OC plot and made a movie about it. I'm pretty bummed out, because I have to drop the Linde arc from the playthrough.

Bah don't sell yourself short like that, even if it is just deprecating humor. I even had a comment earlier in this thread (which to be fair was obtusely hidden behind obscure game references) about how disastrous gameplay can make for more entertaining LPs, and having a consistent style isn't a bad thing either. Plus I already read through the old FE12 one linked in your sig (and part way through the FE6 one, although I decided to wait til the FE6 Succession game finishes before I get back to that, which will hopefully be soon...) it was just too old to comment on without necroing.

Not that that stopped Pengauis that one time. Never did quite get that.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:26 PM, DragonFlames said:

Here's hopin'!
Worst case scenario... I guess there's ballistae to wear the guy down a little first.

F

That reaction image aside, I actually thought that was pretty funny.
I was trying not to make the obvious joke.
I mean, the reaction image fit the circumstance better than the joke would have.

"My lord, why did you not turn into a dragon to strike us a better deal?"
"Because they have the bigger dragon backing them up. That stuff doesn't work anymore."
Now Pyrathi can't even use their dragon for trade deal negotiation. The poor bastards are going to get stuck with a shiny rock  in exchange for 100% of the loot and ownership of the island next time. Maybe that's why Pyrathi never gets mentioned again.

This was the map Draug died on in my first playthrough. I put him in the southern doorway to stop the reinforcements, but their numbers were too much for the poor guy.
It helps to have a healer in place, and to set things up so you're only worrying about one attacker at a time. But of course, that does depend on the enemies co-operating a bit.

Ha! Nice one! XD

The Mercenary faces off against the Hero... it's like a student surpassing their master.
Except not really.
Or Ogma facing his future self (hopefully)

High quality puns, as usual.
Come to think of it, if Catria was the one who sent us here... where is she after the map?
Presumably off fetching Palla from wherever she's stationed at, and possibly sending word to Est. After all, they had supposedly been separated to avoid them conspiring against the Grustian forces.

She's played the game before. She knows she can promote!
Or class change. But what would you even class change her to, really?
An archer perhaps? She's probably best off as a healer all the same.

Abel now wants one of those mountain-climbing horses.
Too bad he's unAbel to become a Horseman, to my knowledge.
This game anyway... next time will be different. Unfortunately, the same could be said of his usability.

That's it, I'm calling him Magic-proof Grandpa from now on.
Wait until you see what he does this chapter (not necessarily this update)

25 Defence...
Oh my goodness!
And only going up. Though I wish his speed wasn't incapable of capping without stat-boosters now.

They spotted a new toy for Wolf. Too bad he lost interest after he broke his last one.
He'll probably get back to it eventually. He's just got a lot on his plate right now.

And he's too busy destroying things, anyway.
Case in point. Anyone who gets near him.

Maybe he was the one curate in the family who curses the enemy instead and Matthis and Ukyo were savy enough to notice?
If so, the curse has been reversed. Cursing the curser with twice the curse.

I can picture them happily walking through town, discussing what to buy...
It's kind of a weird picture, considering the characters involved, but still.
I don't know. I mean, Jagen's the loyal knight seeing to it his liege's orders are followed. Minerva's all too aware about weapon quality, and insists on testing everything. Julian's convinced the shopkeep is trying to price-gouge (spoiler, the silver card is for getting things at actual market price)

Yeah... that guy is toast.
Not just toast. Burnt toast.

That, or he's in denial.
He's so far in denial he can see the pyramids.

Heh.

HOLY---
Yeah, it's what I was hoping for... but I didn't quite expect it.

RIP game.
If only the Dracoknight Speed cap was a little higher...
Caeda's one weakness... other than the fact I'm going to have a hard time getting her defence stat up.

... I accept this as canon.
And I won't let anyone convince me otherwise.
I like it more than the explanation I found out Warriors gave after I made the joke.

---

Great part, as usual! Looking forward to the next one!
Sorry it had to take so long.

... This is so cursed, yet so blessed at the same time...
Indeed.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:32 AM, twilitfalchion said:

tenor.gif

puns, puns everywhere 👌
Basically the LP in a nutshell.

Marth's accidental harem. Come to think of it, that kind of sounds like the name of a romcom anime.
It's amazing how not trying for attention can be the most effective way of getting it sometimes.

They do try to fight back in Tellius by whacking enemies with their staff. It does no damage of course, but the effort counts for something.
I thought the staves do some damage in Tellius... sometimes. Not much. But I could be wrong.

An armor knight two-shotting...now that's something you don't see every day.
I mean, it's not as rare as doubling. That'd be impressive.

"Notice me, Roger-Senpai!"
I meant Marth. Caeda's basically a goddess at this point (even if when you read that she was pre-promotion).

Gotta nab that extra exp.
I mean, it was worth it. I'll savor the experience of broken Caeda as long as I live.

She will undoubtedly Caeda you through and the cav will unfailingly be Abel to eliminate all enemies. those puns weren't forced at all, no sir /s
She's definitely been Bradamante about winging the victory for me.

The other crit god.
Wolf is uncannily likely to one round foes for a General. Even if it is because he's using crits to do it.

How cruel. Killing the unarmed? For shame. Even though I've done that countless times in my own FE playthroughs.
If he has no arms, how is he holding that staff though?

*insert laughing gif*

giphy.gif

----------

Great update. Up next is one of the better maps in FE11, in my personal opinion. 👍

On 8/8/2020 at 3:23 PM, Benice said:
  Hide contents

TOO BAD, IMMA APOLOGIZE ANYWAYS!! I'm a canadian, and I will always apologize!

That's right! I'm unapologetic about apologizing!

Sorry about missin' the update!
Well, I'm apologizing for the time between updates. So my apology is here.

AGH! AAAGH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHH!! NOO! MY EYEESSSS
I think you Miloah apology to the couple.

It's a good thing you have to sieze to beat this map, because if he was Zharoving around the map he'd be a lot scarier.

It appears I was mistaken.
I mean, a General has poor movement to begin with... and Caeda is broken as Zharov's armor was after that fight.

The average Ryan is not a mage...
Oh. That mayge explain things.

Also, I've found Mage Catria to be unironically really good.
I mean, female mages benefit in FE12 from the fact Noseferatu exists.

Ha!

But...Hm... RNGoddess has secret affair with The Roger?
I don't know how that gag would've worked honestly. How is it secret if people know?

More importantly, what will Manyvern create together?
Manvyern-pig. Half manakete, half wyvern, half pig.

Best UUnit.
UUsing him in endgame for sure.

I missed this gag far more than I should have

Update:

Spoiler

UXDOnfPd_o.png
It's been a while since I saw one of these...
KB2GXK8L_o.png7NUy6rmf_o.pngYAzU8I2j_o.png5VsyP656_o.png
YLHbXhZV_o.png
To call this a waypoint is an understatement. Taking back Archanea castle is pretty much a halfway point (barring the endgame, and any gaidens/prologues)
ZhyIpDgC_o.png
First we do some inventory management, including getting a new lance for Wolf and some more heal staves.
KWB9Wgax_o.pngzspSjHVS_o.pngMFRVdCYq_o.png
Now a quick look at the enemies. See, here, I'm deciding how to use that speedwing from last chapter. As it goes, we determine that the Mercenaries are going to double anyone with less than 11 speed... and the pegasus knights, horseman and sniper are going to double anyone with less than 12. Let's have a quick look at my units.
FSmMBEBd_o.pngMZfpzzU8_o.pngWmSmCMMF_o.pngqzdCcaqx_o.png
Matthis and Ukyo (as well as Lena) would only ever be able to not be doubled by the mercenaries. Not much of a benefit I'm afraid, given my plan for the pegasus knights. Abel is already good to go on the mercenaries... and a level of speed would fix him for the others as well. Cain, however, would suddenly go from getting doubled by both pegasus and mercenary, to getting doubled by neither. So Cain it is. Hopefully I won't be Abel to say I regret that decision, because I Cain't turn back now if my Matthis off.
In case you're wondering, Marth and Wrys also have 11 speed, but one's a healer and one has no real capacity for ranged combat. So I opted to take them out of the equation, same as anyone who had 12 speed or better.
bJ7OlZmi_o.png
Formation. Minerva will be joining us today in place of Jagen, who isn't fast enough for my plan. He'll probably be back when I need an extra unit for killing cavalry fast.
xqttwyrq_o.pngonBUzKWw_o.pngxe0gY8Ed_o.pngxhIDB2yd_o.png
iIlkXDkP_o.pngEJyxDoO2_o.pngAod9efWr_o.pngTZaNOzQX_o.png
zEbxTvzU_o.png
This'd usually be where I make a snarky comment on what was said... but, the content's a bit heavy for that. I guess I'll have to find my laughs elsewhere.
pii5llTf_o.png8goxuNsX_o.png
So Caeda sets off to find something to lighten the mood, and possibly intercept a thief, while Wolf remains in ballista range. Unfortunately, because the stonehoist has the accuracy of the local weather forecasts, it misses Wolf completely, and thus doesn't use up any ammo. Because apparently ballista ammo is stamped "return to sender" if it fails to reach it's intended target.
zbNL4Mnz_o.pngHBlaY5Qb_o.png
Caeda continues her path, while everyone either partakes in forming a wall, locating themselves at the far reaches of the pegasus knight reach, or getting behind the wall. Way I figure it, priority should make Wendell and Jeorge targets with this formation. After all, Cain, Minerva, and Barst are ready to counter. Wolf is just impervious to their feeble weapons. Seems that Wendell and Jeorge's lower defense/lack of WTA should make them perfect targets.
dceL529S_o.pngIDngwjhl_o.pngR8xkAwnM_o.png
Wolf dodges another shot, and Jeorge proves my point by felling the first pegasus knight with a counter.
rsHBcnJ5_o.png77QZsIcx_o.png
Wendell likewise wrecks his target... though he had a 1% chance of dying that makes me wonder if that was a worse idea than I thought at the time. No going back on it now.
N1UIRHSK_o.pngS29vIPbZ_o.png4HYShMRt_o.pngcLHjLp7Y_o.png
And speaking of wrecking targets, Caeda procs a crit and demolishes the thief a turn earlier than I'd actually planned. Mind, I had to leave her in ballista range to do it...
Otherwise there's some saving (God forbid I lose that crit on the thief, eh?), walking healing, etc. Basically progress towards the town so I can remove the slave-trading ruffians, and visit the village. Minerva also sets up to bait them, but somehow I forgot to screencap that.
5qVxTOsl_o.pngnh5zwdrL_o.pngg0R5sJSg_o.pngZxYHrJ35_o.png
Enemy phase goes as you might expect. The stonehoist still couldn't aim worth a damn, meaning Wolf is still dodging it. Caeda takes a hit from the ballista, but being a thunderbolt, the damage is negligible. Minerva succeeds in baiting the opponent... but neither hits nor dodges. Weapon triangle disadvantage is harsh. Good thing she doesn't need to do more than act as a lure for this plan.
3dj3hW2R_o.png
Besides, not hurting the guy means his three friends I wanted to bait with him are all wasting time too.
rT2IFm0L_o.pngKCMQQGLz_o.png
Minerva's no better off using a javelin to attack on player phase. Jeorge gets healed that last bit in case he needs to take a hit again for some reason. Also so Wrys can get closer to another level up.
dbwiJNKc_o.png
Wolf still proving that ballistician couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Come on. Wolf's not even that fast. I'd hate to see him try and hit Caeda.
OnrQPllM_o.pngbhe8vTyO_o.pngkg3qj6Ze_o.png
While everyone else continues north, and Caeda returns to Minerva's former position, Minerva moves in to lure those miscreant mercenaries back.... making use of a vulnerary for survival purposes. She actually manages to hit this time. At disadvantage yet. Keep this up, and you'll be killing them in no time girl.
plFYlpi2_o.pngWnrbuPSu_o.png1oKfIQFa_o.png
Speaking of killing the slavers.. Cain, who reached the position to bait the Mercenary from the gate... exceeds all my expectations with a dodge and a crit. The plan had been to have my other cavs and possibly Barst or even Wolf join in finishing him off. But, Cain decided he didn't need the help in the slightest. He doesn't even need healing. I guess this is his thanks for the speedwing.
fcskF2Ar_o.pngUF4KqR1R_o.png
Caeda proceeds to proc a crit via Javelin on the merc that Minerva started off in enemy phase. This saves her a javelin use, though not time. She would've one rounded him were he at full hp without crits. That said, I'm not gonna complain about preserved weapon uses. As for Minerva she falls back to get healed by Wendell and Lena.
PbSpdfaK_o.png
Having figured Cain did so well last time, I let him use the fort to lure the other nearby Mercenary. What harm could it possibly do? Well about 12 hp worth to Cain apparently. Mind he dishes out more to the Merc, so it's a fair trade.
g1o0XXRt_o.pngmOZMqLZq_o.pngwEdjur6W_o.pngX331qfjO_o.png
Caeda and Minerva both set up to lure mercenaries so that my troops at the frontline only have to deal with one or two at a time. They're both carefully positioned so only one mercenary can reach them... courtesy of the lake. Meanwhile, I recycle the plan to have Cain backed up by the other cavs... and so the second mercenary falls.
wtBBeomE_o.pngdioNScIA_o.pngyy3nGTby_o.png
I'm actually really disapointed by Abel's level. I wanted speed so I could have two cavs that don't worry about pegasus knights. But I suppose it's a while until I'll see them again... so maybe he can get away with it. For now. At least he got a weapon level out of the ordeal. Now he's Abel to use Gradivus... and get A rank lance bonuses. The latter of which is going to be in use immediately. Cain meanwhile falls back for some healing from Wrys.
CA2PMdUm_o.pngpLUWSHgI_o.pngJzqipQZx_o.png
I must have gotten really slack on showing my formations. Because yet again we skip to the enemy phase. Regardless, Ogma and Abel soak up attacks while dishing out damage. Ogma and Abel thankfully didn't screw themselves over with crits. Minerva, however, did crit. But she could afford to as she couldn't one shot the guy against weapon triangle.
G6tZNWB1_o.pngnYfu9dFA_o.png8aV5yPzn_o.pngiIv7u4UA_o.png
Caeda, seeing as she can, one rounds the mercenary closest to the village. He failes to even hit her in the exchange. Minerva finishes off the fellow she crit earlier. I figure she deserves the kill for that effort, and seeing as she can do so from safety, it's not like there's a way for it to backfire. I think.
vgrw1HNp_o.pngfaczanTK_o.pngCyxZRVVu_o.pngSniYU8o6_o.png
Abel and Ukyo team up to take out one Mercenary (the merc was just shy of being able to kill Ukyo, so it was safe for him to do that), and Matthis helps Marth put the last of these slavers to the sword. After all, there's no reason not to let the guy get one kill when it's safe. He'll get self-conscious otherwise.
a3VOLuvn_o.pngPItubPTE_o.png
Not bad for 8 turns. Especially considering the walk around those damn mountains. Anyway, the slower units start heading north, while the mounted units (or at least Cain) head into town. Ogma gets healed on the way.
STHngacm_o.pnggy4v1gvk_o.png
Kind of a shame I don't plan on buying much. A steel lance for later use, and a vulnerary should do things. Marth's having a hard time getting chances to use the rapier as is... I don't really need a third yet.
hY1NM8U1_o.pngYEJJ8dky_o.pngPlmYHSyn_o.png
Next turn, the aforementioned shopping occurs. Also Wrys gets a level from topping up Ogma the rest of the way. Not much of a level, but now he's as fast as Wendell... which has to count for something.
RUPQbVCU_o.pnggymrrGWe_o.pngX5nCmWx5_o.png
This guy informs us about the fact that those guys who were shooting over the mountain range at Wolf, in fact have the ability to attack from a distance. I guess he has no idea we know from experience. More useful is his advice about arrowspate... because if you found that out the hard way, you'd have lost a flier.... though maybe he should have told us at the start of the chapter. Oh well. The thunderbolt advice is probably the most useful. It's given before you get either ballistician or thunderbolt... so you know not to let Jake or Beck get hit with the thing... and so you know they can use it as a delete button... under specific circumstances.
8dkVACeD_o.png7I48QePL_o.png
This is how you're told to visit the village. Just in case you like visiting these houses that add flavour text, but not villages that give you characters and items.
zffOEq4B_o.png
Abel heads north so our faithful cleric can Lena hand by healing him.
B5SREruq_o.pnge4IYh5sy_o.png3pVwNxvS_o.pngnqgxmCTs_o.png
I like how this dumbass was going to try and fight a man with a sword by using his fists. What sort of idiot brings his hands to a sword-fight.... uh.... oh.
Point is, how do you expect to beat a man with a weapon using your bare hands? In a Fire Emblem game no less. This will never happen. Ever. (What's that about three houses?)
LErbL1KZ_o.pnguwj7jGqL_o.png4OGvv2vi_o.pngfsh2MUlL_o.png
Why is it that "dressing as a boy" apparently means wearing a potato sack? Seriously, tell me that's not what it looks like. That said, I appreciate that Linde does at least have a sprite for her disguise as opposed to blatantly being Linde/female when she debuts and thus contradicting the dialogue. I mean, at least the disguise is shown and not told.
mAjyr5vT_o.png9esTfazt_o.pngei0QupKD_o.pngKmoA2tgh_o.png
Anyway, Linde joins us to escape daddy Gharnef's attempts to win custody, because he keeps trying to get her to join him in this world conquest thing, and she's not interested at all.
xlxh10fE_o.png5YURivic_o.pngQOMKBcPH_o.png
Talk about rebelling against your parents. Then again, to be fair... Gharnef killed Miloah. Small wonder Linde disowned him and wants him dead.

Anyway, we're pretty much halfway through this chapter's screenshots. So we'll pick up again next time.

Deaths:
My evasion of arenas
My credibility.
Tradition*
Slow Cav
*-revived
Crit Counter:
Abel: 3
Barst: 9
Caeda:10
Cain:3
Draug:2
MarcusJagen:2
Marth:2
Merric:1
Minerva:1
Ogma:3
Wolf:10
Generic enemy:1
Pollux Disappointed Counter: 3

Spoiler

though I must admit I regret he never got the divorce in.

You know how bureaucracy is. These things take time. Speaking of time - the time has come:

Ddhhs7du o

I imagine they get spooked by ghosts easily.

You're just playing a chill game of Ouija and suddenly the board comes to life and takes off.

Oh boy. Sasha was one of my favourite things about the TRS LP. Now we get to see how ridiculous this can get.

Hwahahahahahah...

I would, but he'd threaten to kill me so I won't.

You're right he would. He's a dick, like that. Honestly, he should get banned.

YLHbXhZV_o.png
To call this a waypoint is an understatement. Taking back Archanea castle is pretty much a halfway point (barring the endgame, and any gaidens/prologues)

Archanea Castle later used a master seal and promoted to Final Map (kinda). This promotion granted it the skill Reinforcements.

Pod5xzkq o

Like, seriously...

Cain it is.

How dare you not give it to Matthis.

iIlkXDkP_o.png

Kaga did Dimitri first.

wtBBeomE_o.png
I'm actually really disapointed by Abel's level.

There are very few situations in which this level wouldn't be disappointing.

STHngacm_o.png

Also slave market. Y'know, right next to the palace. That's such a weird thing. They seem to forget all about it in Book 2, too, because the slave market ceases to exist and the village is just there to give you a bad unit.

hY1NM8U1_o.pngYEJJ8dky_o.pngPlmYHSyn_o.png
Next turn, the aforementioned shopping occurs. Also Wrys gets a level from topping up Ogma the rest of the way. Not much of a level, but now he's as fast as Wendell... which has to count for something.

Holy shit, what an absolute unit, the bald man.

nqgxmCTs_o.png
I like how this dumbass was going to try and fight a man with a sword by using his fists. What sort of idiot brings his hands to a sword-fight.... uh.... oh.
Point is, how do you expect to beat a man with a weapon using your bare hands? In a Fire Emblem game no less. This will never happen. Ever.

You're right about that. Unarmed combat isn't a thing in Three Houses either. Gauntlets are still weapons. Unless people can actually punch stuff if they're completely unarmed. Is that a thing? I can't remember.

Why is it that "dressing as a boy" apparently means wearing a potato sack?

She needed plenty spacious garb to hide her assets, and that was the best she could find.

Anyway, Linde joins us to escape daddy Gharnef's attempts to win custody, because he keeps trying to get her to join him in this world conquest thing, and she's not interested at all.

You're making Gharnef sound like Dr. Doofenschmirtz, and that's just... wrong.

Spoiler
3 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Because apparently ballista ammo is stamped "return to sender" if it fails to reach it's intended target.

If weapons degraded even on a miss, the breaking of enemy weapons would be a less tedious process, but alas....

Speaking of killing the slavers.. Cain, who reached the position to bait the Mercenary from the gate... exceeds all my expectations with a dodge and a crit. The plan had been to have my other cavs and possibly Barst or even Wolf join in finishing him off. But, Cain decided he didn't need the help in the slightest. He doesn't even need healing. I guess this is his thanks for the speedwing.

I know someone who is shooting for that paladin promotion with that kinda attitude.

N1UIRHSK_o.pngS29vIPbZ_o.png4HYShMRt_o.pngcLHjLp7Y_o.png
And speaking of wrecking targets, Caeda procs a crit and demolishes the thief a turn earlier than I'd actually planned. Mind, I had to leave her in ballista range to do it...
Otherwise there's some saving (God forbid I lose that crit on the thief, eh?), walking healing, etc. Basically progress towards the town so I can remove the slave-trading ruffians, and visit the village. Minerva also sets up to bait them, but somehow I forgot to screencap that.

You really are getting all the luck aren't you. I guess it wasn't necessary, but still all these crits just keep coming up in your favor.

6 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

nqgxmCTs_o.png
Point is, how do you expect to beat a man with a weapon using your bare hands? In a Fire Emblem game no less. This will never happen. Ever. (What's that about three houses?)

Not a fan of that custom Hector crit with him punching his foe in the face huh (odd of you to mention that there are three visit-able houses on screen in this picture...what new game?)

8 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

LErbL1KZ_o.pnguwj7jGqL_o.png4OGvv2vi_o.pngfsh2MUlL_o.png
Why is it that "dressing as a boy" apparently means wearing a potato sack? Seriously, tell me that's not what it looks like. That said, I appreciate that Linde does at least have a sprite for her disguise as opposed to blatantly being Linde/female when she debuts and thus contradicting the dialogue. I mean, at least the disguise is shown and not told.

150?cb=20120310064011192?cb=2012022815350499?cb=2011120222211195?cb=20111202222134195?cb=20100903024816

Naw, this check out, that is clearly a fashionable boy disguise that all the nobles love to wear.

Spoiler
On 11/18/2020 at 9:00 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

I can't actually work out what we were talking about here... I'm sorry.

Don't worry, me neither.

I resist making bad jokes in the same way one resists damage from Luna. Not at all.

Lol, that's a good joke tho.

After some research, I discovered that apparently there's a conversation in Fire Emblem Warriors that reveals that Miloah, prior to dying, sealed the tome to only be usable by women to stop Gharnef making use of it. Though funny enough, in FE1, apparently it was Linde exclusive. I'd have to check that out when that's ported to switch. On a similar note, apparently the Wing Spear and Hauteclare were additions for this remake.

That is most cool.

8goxuNsX_o.png
So Caeda sets off to find something to lighten the mood, and possibly intercept a thief, while Wolf remains in ballista range. Unfortunately, because the stonehoist has the accuracy of the local weather forecasts, it misses Wolf completely, and thus doesn't use up any ammo. Because apparently ballista ammo is stamped "return to sender" if it fails to reach it's intended target.

That's dumb, but funny. I see we are playing the turtle game.

wtBBeomE_o.png
I'm actually really disapointed by Abel's level. I wanted speed so I could have two cavs that don't worry about pegasus knights.

Oh yeah... I guess less crit chance from enemies is cool?

Anyway, we're pretty much halfway through this chapter's screenshots. So we'll pick up again next time.

Nice and short update, see ya!

Hooray, glad to have you back, The Roger!

Spoiler

On 11/18/2020 at 4:00 PM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Now Pyrathi can't even use their dragon for trade deal negotiation. The poor bastards are going to get stuck with a shiny rock  in exchange for 100% of the loot and ownership of the island next time. Maybe that's why Pyrathi never gets mentioned again.

Can we get an F for Pyrathi?

Presumably off fetching Palla from wherever she's stationed at, and possibly sending word to Est. After all, they had supposedly been separated to avoid them conspiring against the Grustian forces.

Ah, very true! I didn't think of that, admittedly!

Case in point. Anyone who gets near him.

Yup. xD

I don't know. I mean, Jagen's the loyal knight seeing to it his liege's orders are followed. Minerva's all too aware about weapon quality, and insists on testing everything. Julian's convinced the shopkeep is trying to price-gouge (spoiler, the silver card is for getting things at actual market price)

This is starting to sound like the perfect material for a comedy sketch...

Caeda's one weakness... other than the fact I'm going to have a hard time getting her defence stat up.

Too bad Falcon Knight was DLC.

Sorry it had to take so long.

No worries! ^^

UXDOnfPd_o.png
It's been a while since I saw one of these...

It does invoke a certain sense of nostalgia...

This is what fascinated me the first time I played Shadow Dragon.
My first game was FE9, and so I was "used" to the friendly or home kingdom being reconquered in the finale of the game. To have that happen this early on came as a surprise to me.
Same with Altea, actually.

Cain, however, would suddenly go from getting doubled by both pegasus and mercenary, to getting doubled by neither. So Cain it is.

Aside from the fact that I never gave this much thought into using statboosters, I Cain barely believe that two "measly" points can make that much of a difference.
Now the red cavalier should be Abel to jump into the Frey without breaking his Wrys-ts (and the entire rest of his body).

Formation. Minerva will be joining us today in place of Jagen, who isn't fast enough for my plan. He'll probably be back when I need an extra unit for killing cavalry fast.

The experienced knight needs some warm-up in the barracks first.
I see you are not bringing her glorified Vulnerary special weapon. Interesting choice!

zEbxTvzU_o.png

Nyna: *singing* Take me hoooome, country rooooaaad...

So Caeda sets off to find something to lighten the mood, and possibly intercept a thief,

Maybe she will find the elusive thief who works part time as a clown?

because the stonehoist has the accuracy of the local weather forecasts,

Amazing! xD

Because apparently ballista ammo is stamped "return to sender" if it fails to reach it's intended target.

I see Archanea is a continent of politeness.
That explains the horses.

Jeorge proves my point by felling the first pegasus knight with a counter.

A one-shot, even.
Silver Bows are... quite something, once they deal effective damage.

Wendell likewise wrecks his target... though he had a 1% chance of dying that makes me wonder if that was a worse idea than I thought at the time. No going back on it now.

As far as I know/remember, you're not ironmanning this, and it was only the second turn, so it's not like you would have lost much if this failed.

And speaking of wrecking targets, Caeda procs a crit and demolishes the thief a turn earlier than I'd actually planned.

Just Shiida things.

Wolf still proving that ballistician couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Come on. Wolf's not even that fast. I'd hate to see him try and hit Caeda.

To add insult to injury, even if the Stonehoist did hit, it wouldn't do any damage to the guy.
He is even impervious to rocks. Makes me wonder how he'll handle elephants, rhinos, and/or hippopotami (as Pachyderm could be referring to all three of these; although the term is apparently an "obsolete" classification of these mammals nowadays).

Congratulations, Cain!

Caeda proceeds to proc a crit via Javelin on the merc that Minerva started off in enemy phase.

She's doing what she does best.

I'm actually really disapointed by Abel's level. I wanted speed so I could have two cavs that don't worry about pegasus knights.

He proved himself unAbel to live up to your expectations.
Here's hoping he Cain redeem himself with his shiny new A-rank.

Minerva, however, did crit.

She's sick of Shiida overshadowing her as a fellow Dracoknight.

After all, there's no reason not to let the guy get one kill when it's safe. He'll get self-conscious otherwise.

Lord knows he's been bullied enough this playthrough.

Not much of a level, but now he's as fast as Wendell... which has to count for something.

Not only is he Magic-proof Grandpa, he's also now part of the very prestigous club of fast old men.
Of course that counts!

Why is it that "dressing as a boy" apparently means wearing a potato sack?

Now, to be fair, she wouldn't be able to pull off the disguise otherwise...

Talk about rebelling against your parents. Then again, to be fair... Gharnef killed Miloah. Small wonder Linde disowned him and wants him dead.

What a... harmonious family they have!

A very enjoyable new part! Looking forward to next time!

Edited by DragonFlames

W is Ballista-proof 2020

Rollicking Replies

Spoiler
On 11/19/2020 at 4:21 AM, Saint Rubenio said:
  Hide contents

You know how bureaucracy is. These things take time. Speaking of time - the time has come:

Ddhhs7du o
Gharnef must have got a good settlement. He looks way too happy about this. As does Gotoh actually. Does the guy not realize the evil he's unleashed?

You're just playing a chill game of Ouija and suddenly the board comes to life and takes off.
Reminds me of my dog. He's got a phobia of sheep. Not the sheep themself mind you. He loves them. He's deathly afraid of the noises they make however. Hence, whenever he hears it, he's running inside and hiding.

Hwahahahahahah...

You're right he would. He's a dick, like that. Honestly, he should get banned.
Funny fact. About last Wednesday, I had this thought "what would happen if you went into "ignored users", and added yourself to the list. I tried it, and got this message saying "you can't ignore youself" onscreen. Obviously, they just knew someone like me would do something that dumb for a laugh, and didn't want to have to fix it.

Archanea Castle later used a master seal and promoted to Final Map (kinda). This promotion granted it the skill Reinforcements.

Pod5xzkq o

Like, seriously...
Really, the fact Knorda Market also got reinforcements means Archanea just flat got a promotion. I guess we got to see it at it's best (when it was the dominant force in the continent after years of peace) and worst (after it got it's ass handed to it in a long, bloody, drawn out war)

How dare you not give it to Matthis.
I mean, in retrospect I could have. I just kind of over-estimated the amount of spaces I'd need to fill to stop the Pegasus knights by one.

Kaga did Dimitri first.
If Nyna had a Dimitri plot-arc, that'd be interesting. But who'd be the traitor who killed her parents? Camus? If that happened, then FE3/FE12 mightn't have because she wouldn't still be hung up on him. Damn it Camus, you should have been more evil for the greater good.

There are very few situations in which this level wouldn't be disappointing.
The only one I can think of is where everything else is capped or has no growth rate.

Also slave market. Y'know, right next to the palace. That's such a weird thing. They seem to forget all about it in Book 2, too, because the slave market ceases to exist and the village is just there to give you a bad unit.
I have a bit of an idea about that....

Holy shit, what an absolute unit, the bald man.
You just wait. Wrys is going to show this world he can do things a vulnerary couldn't dream of.

You're right about that. Unarmed combat isn't a thing in Three Houses either. Gauntlets are still weapons. Unless people can actually punch stuff if they're completely unarmed. Is that a thing? I can't remember.
Yep, as long as they waste time/a skill slot on this. https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/Unarmed_Combat

She needed plenty spacious garb to hide her assets, and that was the best she could find.
Or she just nicked Gharnef's pajamas.

You're making Gharnef sound like Dr. Doofenschmirtz, and that's just... wrong.
Oh. I'm not treating Gharnef seriously enough you say.... (Diabolical laughter here)

On 11/19/2020 at 10:56 AM, Eltosian Kadath said:
  Hide contents

If weapons degraded even on a miss, the breaking of enemy weapons would be a less tedious process, but alas....

Though to be fair, that'd be a double edged sword. I'd be pretty annoyed if I wasted Thunderbolt/Arrowspate uses on a miss.

I know someone who is shooting for that paladin promotion with that kinda attitude.

It's a Cain Do attitude. He's come a long way from the days when he was held back by his lance rank.

You really are getting all the luck aren't you. I guess it wasn't necessary, but still all these crits just keep coming up in your favor.

It probably doesn't hurt I'm keeping a tally of them. That said, rather few of the crits have been truly necessary... mostly because I didn't plan on them. Though in old Hyman's case I certainly was praying for them.

Not a fan of that custom Hector crit with him punching his foe in the face huh (odd of you to mention that there are three visit-able houses on screen in this picture...what new game?)

Oddly enough, I am. I just couldn't resist the jest.

150?cb=20120310064011192?cb=2012022815350499?cb=2011120222211195?cb=20111202222134195?cb=20100903024816

Naw, this check out, that is clearly a fashionable boy disguise that all the nobles love to wear.

I don't know why, but I'm not seeing any of the pictures. That said... I have a feeling that at least a few are related to certain Lycians visiting Bern.

On 11/21/2020 at 2:43 PM, This boi uses Nino said:
  Hide contents

Don't worry, me neither.

Lol, that's a good joke tho.

I am obligated to refer to my jokes as bad regardless of their status. That way, they don't get complacent.

That is most cool.
Everything aside, I still like my dumb joke version. Better for Star Wars references.

That's dumb, but funny. I see we are playing the turtle game.
Or something similar. I mean, if both pegasus knights struck most of my units... they'd kill them. If either struck Marth, Lena, or Wrys, it'd be a flat one round. Well not Wrys after the level, but at the time. So I wanted them gone before I started moving. Then I wanted enough units in place to wreck any lured mercenaries... so the formation didn't break up.... and actually the enemy more or less has a choke point up ahead. So that limits my ability to break up again... though not so much that certain units won't be taking a different approach.

Oh yeah... I guess less crit chance from enemies is cool?
That and the HP. Never can have too much HP. I mean, one point can be the difference between surviving something and dying.

Nice and short update, see ya!

16 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Hooray, glad to have you back, The Roger!

Hide contents

Can we get an F for Pyrathi?
I've been musing on doing an explanation of what happened to it after the war... but there's no where to really talk about it. Not like places have end cards.

Ah, very true! I didn't think of that, admittedly!
I was just thinking about how she, and for that matter Est and Palla showed up again. I figure that Catria had quite an untold little adventure. As I assume did Est in acquiring  Mercurius.

Yup. xD
Funny enough, I recently thought of a backstory for Wolf. I'll have to work that into one of these at some point.

This is starting to sound like the perfect material for a comedy sketch...
Pretty much what I was thinking. Shame that update got a bit lengthy... so I skipped the plan to have a conversation or two.

Too bad Falcon Knight was DLC.
I think the bonuses on the Draco-knight make up for that to be honest. The defense is something Caeda sorely needs.. and the fact she's one rounding mercs on H5 with an ordinary iron lance shows what the strength has done for her.

No worries! ^^
Hopefully it doesn't take so long again...

It does invoke a certain sense of nostalgia...
Speaking of which... that joke I made about how one day I'd switch things up and use a different screenshot at the start of a chapter to the one I ended the previous one with? It was this one. I figured it appropriate seeing as I'd been absent so long, to symbolically represent a new beginning with a new screenshot. Less of a joke than intended, and more a "it's a fresh start" moment.

This is what fascinated me the first time I played Shadow Dragon.
My first game was FE9, and so I was "used" to the friendly or home kingdom being reconquered in the finale of the game. To have that happen this early on came as a surprise to me.
Same with Altea, actually.
I mean... my first FE was 7. So you know... that game was a bit different. You didn't really have a true war. Just more of a shadow war.

Aside from the fact that I never gave this much thought into using statboosters, I Cain barely believe that two "measly" points can make that much of a difference.
Now the red cavalier should be Abel to jump into the Frey without breaking his Wrys-ts (and the entire rest of his body).
I Caeda puns never end. That's fine, I could Wolf the Barstards down all day, as I'm a Hardin'd veteran.

The experienced knight needs some warm-up in the barracks first.
I see you are not bringing her glorified Vulnerary special weapon. Interesting choice!
It wasn't needed for my plan. Mind, neither was her killing that one mercenary, but after that crit, I gave it to her as a reward.

Nyna: *singing* Take me hoooome, country rooooaaad...
Odd approach to grief Nyna has.

Maybe she will find the elusive thief who works part time as a clown?
Given, her tendency to crit, that'd be an instance of black humour indeed.

Amazing! xD
The day I wrote that, I was quite inspired by the fact the weather forecast for the day had predicted a storm. Despite the Bureau of Meteorology giving a storm a 0% chance that day. Naturally, the storm didn't occur and I made a jest about the fact they literally made a prediction that contradicted the meteorologists (who may not always be right, but who is?)

I see Archanea is a continent of politeness.
That explains the horses.
More like ArCanadea. That joke only makes sense if you always deliberately mispronounce Canada as "Canadia" because of someone else doing it. But I'm still making it.

A one-shot, even.
Silver Bows are... quite something, once they deal effective damage.
I mean, that was the plan. After all, no one was doubling those two... except Caeda, who was busy elsewhere.

As far as I know/remember, you're not ironmanning this, and it was only the second turn, so it's not like you would have lost much if this failed.
True. That said... it's always a bit shocking seeing a flaw in your plan after the fact. The other one being I realized while replying to Saint Rubenio, I really could have gave the speedwings to Matthis or Ukyo... and been fine.

Just Shiida things.
Shiida best.

To add insult to injury, even if the Stonehoist did hit, it wouldn't do any damage to the guy.
He is even impervious to rocks. Makes me wonder how he'll handle elephants, rhinos, and/or hippopotami (as Pachyderm could be referring to all three of these; although the term is apparently an "obsolete" classification of these mammals nowadays).
Of course. Problem being, it was an arbitrary connection made because certain mammals had thick skin. Catch being, it didn't work once genetic sequencing proved said animals weren't actually as closely related as one might think. Kind of brings a certain phrase about books and their covers to mind.

Congratulations, Cain!
Cain has certainly escaped the shadow of Abel at this point. Ever since that near death experience, he's been using his second chance very well.

She's doing what she does best.
If there was a Shadow Dragon inspired Chess board, it's not even hard to see why Caeda would be the queen. Best piece on the board, with unrivaled movement options. Marth, on the other hand would be the king. Not the worst, but you have to keep him alive or you lose.

He proved himself unAbel to live up to your expectations.
Here's hoping he Cain redeem himself with his shiny new A-rank.
Well, he's still in a solid position as far as units go. It's not like it's light competition either.

She's sick of Shiida overshadowing her as a fellow Dracoknight.
She may never eclipse Caeda, but she's definitely going to see some use.

Lord knows he's been bullied enough this playthrough.
It's a rough time being sword locked in H5, where 2 range options are useful to survival.

Not only is he Magic-proof Grandpa, he's also now part of the very prestigous club of fast old men.
Of course that counts!
You haven't seen anything yet.

Now, to be fair, she wouldn't be able to pull off the disguise otherwise...
I suppose I should stop bagging the disguise, before I get sacked from commenting on these things.

What a... harmonious family they have!
Gharnef listened to Guile. He went home and became a family man. Not a very good one... but at least he tried.

A very enjoyable new part! Looking forward to next time!

What kind of prison holds two androids?

Uncanny Update.

Spoiler

When we left off last time, Linde had just joined our army, insisting she's ready to partake in the war.
However, Malledus, being the quick witted individual he is, convinces her someone needs to guard the village to prevent the surviving slaver coming back. Through flattery, he convinces her that her Aura tome makes her the perfect candidate. In reality, this is just a way of ensuring a level 1 mage with neglible survivability doesn't end up too close to the forged killer bow sniper, or Mannu's third Khozen twice removed.
MT05vx2t_o.pngKab3RaBl_o.pngsIX7m4Fc_o.png0K4OhwJX_o.png
Anyway, at this point, Caeda locates Anna's house, and receives information she files away to exploit later.
XsIFxhqc_o.png
Also, for those who thought I was joking a while back when I said I left my healer in ballista range on H5 (crime and punishment thread), I wasn't.
EeVSjT6l_o.png
One may note the Thunderbolt targeted Wolf instead. If you paid attention to the damage outputs this time and last time, or remember the key factor of that particular ballista, you'll know why. If not, I'll explain in a bit. Regardless, despite my intent to have Wrys in range to heal Wolf... it proves unnecessary. Wolf still hasn't been hit by a single bolt from the things. Thunder or otherwise.
EMRMGJWM_o.pngnMa3hbOS_o.pngdJVFfCPT_o.png
As Wolf starts off the ballista and everyone else starts working their way across the map (Wendell, Caeda and Minerva going a different direction towards the starting point, for purposes of a pincer strike)... we get to see the reason. See, in case you weren't aware, the thunderbolt deals magic damage. Meaning Wrys is flat immune to the thing at this point. Not every day you see a curate tanking a ballista. Meanwhile, Wolf does some tanking of his own as he baits both the horseman and the sniper with the forged killer bow. 21 crit with that thing would be scary... if Wolf wasn't so tanky as to shrug the thing off. To be honest, the only reason he's still a general for the map. I was sufficiently rusty on my timing to miss the horseman entirely. But the killer bow failed to crit... to my surprise. Not that it made a difference. Three times 0 is still a big fat zero.
niMGJHie_o.pngH9WfHSVx_o.png
Player phase, Wolf switches to his iron bow, and starts attacking. That ballista can wait. As long as it's where it is... the horseman and the sniper can't attack anyone behind Wolf. Which I have plans for. Caeda, Wendell, and Minerva continue their journey. Caeda's a bit further back than Minerva because she needed healing, which I thought I'd skip showing.
i99wCRjr_o.pngUcQaahEV_o.png
Wrys is still protected by the hand of the goddess from ballista bolts. Meanwhile, Wolf still didn't take a crit. Somehow. Maybe the RNGoddess really does have a thing for me. The enemy have got 1 crit on chapter 1, and I've got so many I need a counter to keep track.
7atpKbJs_o.pngQnbaRzfp_o.png7inx3tec_o.png9bdOoue5_o.png
Anyway, even with a forged killer bow, the grustian sniper dies without having dealt a single crit or point of damage. Just sad man. He was powerful enough to one round or even one shot any unit bar Wolf. But thanks to Wolf, his only contribution to our tale is the spirit dust he dropped. Meanwhile, Matthis starts weakening the ballista, having the movement to get into range safely. Meanwhile, Minerva  sets up with a handaxe to lure the one cavalier with a javelin. Note I carefully checked ballista range to do this. Didn't want Jake using that arrowspate and killing Minerva at the same time.
TmlgdnvA_o.pngBbsulJ6r_o.png7Lr19zhX_o.png
Also, despite the fact he can barely damage the ballista, Ukyo takes a shot anyway. I don't want the thing gone yet anyway (because the Horseman is still there and can double Matthis, hence why I used him and Ukyo for chip instead of Cain or Abel). Besides, Ukyo needs the lance rank, and is at 87 exp. I figured, he needs the level to catch up. Catch being a miss does nothing for the exp. But the lance ranks fine. Also Wrys tanks a third thunderbolt. You;d think this guy would learn. Minerva runs afoul of those legendary polite horses, and misses a 84% chance. That's fine. Plan A and Plan B are virtually identical here anyway.
yhcPIDqd_o.pngAdr882mA_o.pngpM5yHoDe_o.pnguAgqKXAy_o.png
Saint Rubenio's going to love this one. I went to capture an action shot, seeing as showing whether it hit or not wasn't going to matter... but then Wolf dodged. So I decided that'd be worth noting. But then Wolf decided to thoroughly dab on the horseman (and most likely the ghost of his sniper buddy), and unleashed a crit. As it goes, that's a total humiliation.
T4x6qWp8_o.pngImSzILZz_o.pngYw6f15zU_o.png
Only catch is, Wolf missed speed out of the deal. Sure, it was the only thing he missed. But he's going to need that reclass. He really cannot afford to miss more.
Minerva, unaware of what's going on at the other front, falls back for healing. You may wonder why Wendell and not Lena. Honestly? Wendell was just that bit more mobile.
Regardless Caeda now shows why it didn't matter if Minerva hit or not. While the faster kill and decreased damage would have been nice, Caeda only needs two rounds of combat to kill him.
hfDHEt1M_o.pngMf6hnU3m_o.png
Anyway, Matthis and Ukyo set about attacking the ballista. At mixed effect. Matthis crits, while Ukyo still fails to get that precious exp. That setback aside, the ballistician is now at exact damage for Wolf to finish.
K54cd4il_o.pngcaQdToGM_o.png7AJNik22_o.png
Seems Wolf's gotten a bit too excited about the prospect. We won't be salvaging anything but splinters from that device after a shattering blow like that. Anyway, Ukyo can still get his experience from the two cavaliers that are now headed for us. Even if Wolf insists on dodging their attacks.
OSifJJd9_o.png
Or maybe not. Can you at least save one for other units? You already got a level.
qXCtmOJn_o.pngEq6AyCKw_o.png
Wolf decides to be obedient and leave one for everyone else. Albeit minus over half his hp pool. Guess Barst's not getting in any action this chapter. Caeda's opponent makes the mistake of initiating another round. While he can take her down to 6hp, the fact she doubles him means he wasn't getting any further. She'll have to fall back for healing before progressing with the plan.
D5XWNdaI_o.pngx2FYSh3i_o.pngOlA3slgy_o.pngEEu2WPpi_o.png
Caeda gets that healing that was mentioned before. Ukyo decides he doesn't want to hit level 10 this chapter. Matthis and Cain pick up the slack, seeing as Cain's approaching a level up.
wVgjsiMO_o.png
Now here's where we are at this stage. We're down to the last 4 enemies. A generic ballistician, Khozen (who is a nastier, more mobile Mannu for all intents and purposes), a generic cavalier who is guarding the seize point so Khozen can be mobile. And Jake. Notably there's this one space... where none of them can reach. Caeda, thanks to that early promotion, can just make it from where she's being healed (I didn't pick the spot randomly). I'm sure you can see where this is going.
l3pb9mTx_o.pngq6lr1Z70_o.png
Though admittedly, the plan is sped up considerably when Caeda gets this crit, finishing the Stonehoist off in one hit rather than over the course of two turns. Now time to bring out that Wing Spear we bought at Port Warren, as Bradamante is unneccessary for this guy.
RvkWsIO7_o.pngYE9F3uAW_o.pnglLRU87yX_o.png
More so when that 17% crit kicks in. Seems Caeda doesn't want to be upstaged by Wolf. Not that she has to worry about that. Their roles are too different. It's like comparing a tank to a bomber. Either one's capable of great destruction, but one's built for durability, and the other for mobility. They compliment each other rather than challenging each other.
HU3Y992b_o.pngtOqdiYy4_o.pngKwb8R1H4_o.png
Speaking of compliments... I'd love to joke about Jake being the original Sain... but we all know Roger kind of beat him to it.
50kkaeBX_o.pngqFdN6hg0_o.pngugUiiqCJ_o.pngDsJLyyMf_o.png
Caeda can even get people to switch sides by referencing other women. Proving she doesn't just rely on her looks. I mean, as if we need reminding after she just critted two consecutive enemies. Actually, maybe Jake's not just thinking about Anna here.
CQkOdutX_o.pngjsMNMi1D_o.pngQQfYPJ8Z_o.pngsV1gC45L_o.png
Jake seems a little skeptical about Anna loving him for switching sides. Or maybe I just capped mid blink creating that effect.
STlT8yEm_o.pngxspgqNuh_o.pngyLDtxRln_o.png
Ok you win Jake. You're not afraid of the woman who just killed two of your comrades before they had a chance to do anything and could have finished you just as easily.
Anyway, seeing as Caeda can safely strike him from the castle (where she positioned herself to talk to Jake) Caeda initiates combat with Mannu's pyromaniac Khozen.
Ten damage is a good start.
PU16NuMx_o.png
Also, I totally forgot she was on 99exp when I decided to do that.  Naturally she decided to get that last point of strength necessary to hit her 20/20 average. At 15/2. Thanks to Saint Rubenio for the jokes about energy drops. I think they actually motivated her. Now could you do some for Matthis' speed... or Ukyo's anything.
iuF3rqVW_o.pngpS2gUKVU_o.png
Speaking of the Patron Saint of LP,  I had taken these screenshots before he had requested all future stat-boosters go to Matthis. Hence Wrys getting the spirit dust. Somehow I don't think he'll mind. Of course, not content to let Caeda do all the work on Khozen from safety (or sure he'd just stand and take it) I have Wolf set up to lure him so my cavs can join in on the fun.
vdUkfR3G_o.pngzLRVfvMe_o.pngu1WnKBUr_o.png
Even with his ability to double Wolf, Khozen gets the worse part of the trade. Guess Mannu's failures at commerce run in the family.
1DVwD5w4_o.pngpxCQS7ap_o.pngrREhXk7E_o.pngQuSsMaOy_o.png
Ukyo finally gets in a damn hit. He still ends up 4exp shy of that level to my aggravation... and there's no way I'm leaving Khozen alive for next turn. So Cain finishes this. Why Cain and not Matthis?
DT0vZh8S_o.png
I said Cain was about to get a level a while back when he finished the cav Ukyo missed. And what a level it is. You don't see a perfect level in Shadow Dragon often unless you're talking Wolf and Sedgar. Eltosian Kadath is right. Cain must be bucking for a promotion.
2L7VLEdE_o.png
Oh, and he got this thing that I haven't decided how to use yet. Though I know there's a vote for Matthis already.
nvK0X80N_o.png18GxxjRY_o.pngUKHUDysF_o.png
Seems Nyna forgot that enemies could use the inside of a building instead of just the outside. This is why she's not leading the army. Fortunately, while Marth's not doing so well as a unit, he's got common sense regarding enemy tactics to keep us from just waltzing into the castle unprepared and being ambushed. All while not yelling about it being a trap.
CMgq2U04_o.pngrCmrPkLy_o.pngoPIA8YCM_o.png
He also apparently knows about the captives. Which is kind of weird. Who told him about them? Jake perhaps? We'll say it was Jake for the sake of continuity.... even though by this point in some runs he's dead.
G0dkleSV_o.pnggEZ9m6d7_o.pngN9ynYDWS_o.pngTP1LoR7l_o.png
Anyway, Marth's feeling pretty confident. Though, considering Caeda and Wolf... and that last Cain level... and Wrys tanking a ballista for three turns... yeah. He has a lot to be confident of. Honestly, I feel like that was a chapter I didn't really do anything to earn. Broken units and crits carried me to the point any strategy I had became redundant.
Though maybe that's just a mid-game crisis talking.
But before we go on to the title card... a little (literally) fanfic surprise.
O9qn56E8_o.pngI did it.... *huff*.... I escaped *wheeze* the Altean army *pant* I'm safe! *gasp*.
(A hidden figure): I wouldn't be so certain of that.
O9qn56E8_o.pngguh!
(A hidden figure)Fainted. A pity. I'll have to wait for him to awaken for our discussion.

3nylD88o_o.png
Anyway, more on that later. For now.... may all things run like clockwork for you until next time.

Deaths:
My evasion of arenas
My credibility.
Tradition*
Slow Cav
*-revived
Crit Counter:
Abel: 3
Barst: 9
Caeda:12
Cain:3
Draug:2
MarcusJagen:2
Marth:2
Matthis:1
Merric:1
Minerva:1
Ogma:3
Wolf:13
Generic enemy:1
Pollux Disappointed Counter: 3

Spoiler

Gharnef must have got a good settlement.

He was going to get Aura. He didn't read the fine print, however. Something about a gender lock, and defaulting to the more handsome individual in the event of no females available. Silly, silly stuff. It was all Gotoh's evildoing.

He looks way too happy about this. As does Gotoh actually. Does the guy not realize the evil he's unleashed?

Gotoh is the worst person in Archanea. It should not surprise you that he would be happy about this.

Reminds me of my dog. He's got a phobia of sheep. Not the sheep themself mind you. He loves them. He's deathly afraid of the noises they make however. Hence, whenever he hears it, he's running inside and hiding.

That's gotta be awkward. Love sheep but hate the sounds they make. That's like a cat falling in love with the shape of a vacuum cleaner.

Wrys is going to show this world he can do things a vulnerary couldn't dream of.

This sentence is so ridiculous, I love it.

What kind of prison holds two androids?

What kind of prison DOESN'T hold two androids?

However, Malledus, being the quick witted individual he is

Are we talking about the same person? Malledus is a robot programmed to deliver exposition. There are no wits involved. It's a good thing he ceased to function in time for Book 2, so Jagen could take over his role and be a badass about it.

Mannu's third Khozen twice removed.

Bwahahahahahahahah... That's a good one.

0K4OhwJX_o.png
Anyway, at this point, Caeda locates Anna's house, and receives information she files away to exploit later.

Who said houses are useless in FE?

See, in case you weren't aware, the thunderbolt deals magic damage. Meaning Wrys is flat immune to the thing at this point. Not every day you see a curate tanking a ballista.

You know, I'm slightly disappointed. I was hoping to be able to say that Wrys can tank ballistae in H5.

Saint Rubenio's going to love this one

Yes! Yes! Death to the horsemen...! Except for a certain one. That one can live. He's awesome. But he's not in this game, so not to worry. Kill every last one of them!

T4x6qWp8_o.pngImSzILZz_o.pngYw6f15zU_o.png
Only catch is, Wolf missed speed out of the deal.

Yeah, speed's kind of a big deal. How funny is it that you can look at this level and unironically state that it's not that good? And then people say Shadow Dragon has bad growth rates...

OSifJJd9_o.png
Or maybe not. Can you at least save one for other units? You already got a level.

It's always so frustrating when this happens.

HU3Y992b_o.pngtOqdiYy4_o.png

I love that "hail yourself, sugar!" line. It's so sleazy.

PU16NuMx_o.png

I don't even know how to tackle this. This Caeda is too good.

Now could you do some for Matthis' speed... or Ukyo's anything.

I mean, I think I've told you the story of how I complained to a friend about Matthis's speed and he proceeded to get it in every single level until he capped.

As for Ukyo... I'm afraid all I can promise is a restore staff. They don't exist in Archanea. Perhaps it would suffice to cure him of his tuberculosis?

Hence Wrys getting the spirit dust. Somehow I don't think he'll mind.

I will change my demand to giving all the statboosters to Matthis, except the magical ones, those can go to Wrys.

...Not that you're insane enough to actually go through with that. Right? Right...? Please tell me you aren't, Ukyo needs help more than Matthis at this point...

QuSsMaOy_o.png

Ah, Khozen. What a character. Look at this death quote. So much personality in these two lines.

Khozen character analysis: He's dragon. He spits fire. He loves it. He's loyal to his Emperor, but has failed him. Still better than someone of the series's edgelords...

DT0vZh8S_o.png
I said Cain was about to get a level a while back when he finished the cav Ukyo missed.

Wha-- That's legit better than what Wolf got! How!?

O9qn56E8_o.pngI did it.... *huff*.... I escaped *wheeze* the Altean army *pant* I'm safe! *gasp*.
O9qn56E8_o.pngguh!
(A hidden figure)Fainted. A pity. I'll have to wait for him to awaken for our discussion.

Oh boy... Is this how this guy survived to be the boss of Prologue 5 in FE12?

Spoiler
11 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I don't know why, but I'm not seeing any of the pictures. That said... I have a feeling that at least a few are related to certain Lycians visiting Bern.

Also Sephiram, Kurthnaga, and Ranulf

15 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

0K4OhwJX_o.png

Huh, that line is different in the European version. To be fair I only noticed thanks to the H5 ironman I am keeping up with...

Saint Rubenio's going to love this one. I went to capture an action shot, seeing as showing whether it hit or not wasn't going to matter... but then Wolf dodged. So I decided that'd be worth noting. But then Wolf decided to thoroughly dab on the horseman (and most likely the ghost of his sniper buddy), and unleashed a crit. As it goes, that's a total humiliation.

Your luck never ceases to amaze. This is such a blessed run.

OSifJJd9_o.png

...How can this run be so blessed?

PU16NuMx_o.png
Also, I totally forgot she was on 99exp when I decided to do that.  Naturally she decided to get that last point of strength necessary to hit her 20/20 average. At 15/2. Thanks to Saint Rubenio for the jokes about energy drops. I think they actually motivated her. Now could you do some for Matthis' speed... or Ukyo's anything.

She just keeps getting strength...How is this much luck concentrated into one run?

DT0vZh8S_o.png
I said Cain was about to get a level a while back when he finished the cav Ukyo missed. And what a level it is. You don't see a perfect level in Shadow Dragon often unless you're talking Wolf and Sedgar. Eltosian Kadath is right. Cain must be bucking for a promotion.

Someone has to replace Jeigan as head of the Altean Knights, and Cain is willing to do anything to become the Paladin to do so, even if he has to take out Abel in the process...

O9qn56E8_o.pngguh!

...A plot has not only appeared, but thickened?

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler
On 11/24/2020 at 3:58 AM, The Roger The Paladin said:

Shiida is truly a master at using her womanly wiles to help Marth, haha.

Also, for those who thought I was joking a while back when I said I left my healer in ballista range on H5 (crime and punishment thread), I wasn't.

6hodLTw.png

Oh, no.

See, in case you weren't aware, the thunderbolt deals magic damage. Meaning Wrys is flat immune to the thing at this point. Not every day you see a curate tanking a ballista.

Huh. Neat. Can't say I've noticed that myself.

Maybe the RNGoddess really does have a thing for me.

Or *cough*, maybe you *cough* bribed her. *cough*

xD

Anyway, even with a forged killer bow, the grustian sniper dies without having dealt a single crit or point of damage. Just sad man.

Wolf's defense is over 9000. Nothing can match him.

Caeda, thanks to that early promotion, can just make it from where she's being healed (I didn't pick the spot randomly). I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Putting careful planning into action.

I wish I were that strategic with how I play FE.

said Cain was about to get a level a while back when he finished the cav Ukyo missed. And what a level it is. You don't see a perfect level in Shadow Dragon often unless you're talking Wolf and Sedgar. Eltosian Kadath is right. Cain must be bucking for a promotion.

He Cain't afford to fall behind.

O9qn56E8_o.pngguh!

suspense intensifies

Thanks for the update!