[complete] Something Something Insidious Killer: Let's play Darkest Dungeon

ping

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Golb89 said:

Sorry, but i currently got no time to follow this LP and most likely won't until the end of August.

That said, if you get a Musketeer she'll be named M14 Ambriel.

BUT MY REGULAR ANIME INJECTIONS
(it's cool mate - thanks for sticking with me thus far and I'd be happy to see you catching up when you have the time again)

Can't oblidge with the Musketeer, though - I don't think I even have the DLC active since she's 99% a reskin of the Arbalest. They only really differ in their Very Rare trinket and their Crystalline trinket, but since they still have their own versions of all other trinkets (they just happen to have the same effect), you basically have two potential drops, which means that other trinket drops are a bit less likely, and you might be unlucky and get all the Musketeer trinkets right after recruiting an Arbalest.

(also the Musketeer's backstory is super lame. What, "I only got 2nd place in a competition REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"?)

16 hours ago, Benice said:

I now relate to Benice the abomination at a spiritual level, because I went on a backpacking trip, (hence why I was unable to comment on this LP, and I never did get enough wifi to load images, so apologies for that...) and had over 65 mosquito bites. On one leg. I didn't bother counting for the rest of my limbs, but they had bites aplenty too.

Oh dang, that really sucks. (pun not intented, mass mosquitos really are the WORST)

16 hours ago, Benice said:

She's under pressure (cooker)

dun-dun-dun dududun-dun!

---

Franco-Belgian comics are the best comics.

^responses, imma start uploading pictures for the next update in a minute though.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ping said:

Oh dang, that really sucks. (pun not intented, mass mosquitos really are the WORST)

Straight facts. It was an awesome trip regardless, especially since it was only really that bad at the campsites, which we really didn't spend much time at.

7 minutes ago, ping said:

Franco-Belgian comics are the best comics.

Straight facts x 2

7 minutes ago, ping said:

imma start uploading pictures for the next update in a minute though.

Woot!

• Update 26 - This game is easy, until it isn't
Spoiler

kQpw9HH.jpg

A short look into the Nomad Wagon on what trinket I'd like to get next. It's only 5 shards away, so if we just run into the Thing (which we won't this update), we might already be able to get it. And +20% Dmg and +3 Spd for a relatively minor penalty? Yes please!

sd0LZes.jpg
For our next mission, I send a bit of a weird squad out. An Occultist at the front is not something I'd recommend, but we're still rather limited in what we can bring into Apprentice-level dungeons - outside of this quartett, we only have Skadi the Grave Robber and Stechkin the Jester who would have been able to come.

om2EsKZ.jpg
The idea is that Batta opens fights with [Duelist Advance]...

8FJicsJ.jpg
...his Riposte ability, which also pushes him to the front instead. 2nd rank Occultist is still a bit questionable, since his HP is really low, but at least he can use his Stun from there.

GRUn82z.jpg
Although he actually uses [Sacrificial Stab] very consistently throughout the dungeon, since Silence with her Double Stun kinda has that part covered.

5SpQwWL.jpg
And while this team comp still isn't something I'd recommend for Veteran and Champion mission, it worked fairly well here - well enough that the run didn't really offer any drama to present here.

0YNwDK7.jpg
Quirks aren't too great, unfortunately. Silence and Batta will definitely have to get rid of theirs, and while Hippocratic is THE quirk to have on your Vestals and Occultists, it's completely wasted on a Highwayman. Beast Hater is nice for the reduced stress alone, though.

1mhM4hp.jpg
We've seen the event before, but not the boss battle itself - the Fanatic has a chance to show up when you bring two or more Crimson Cursed heroes into a dungeon (and is almost guaranteed to be there if you bring four) and since he's responsible for my Party Wipe achievement, I didn't really feel the urge to see him...

cMHPPOT.jpg
First things first: Batta and Silence immediately rid themselves of their new vices.

znGhLcp.jpg

And then: Next boss mission! Time to revisit the Siren - this time without a Leper potentially one-shotting everything, although Cliffheart, doing bonus damage against Humans with his base attack, is a rather risky pick, as well.

Let's see what Wayne June had to say when first we met the Siren:

My lofty position wasn't always accompanied by the fear of office, and there was a time when I could walk the streets or raise a glass in the tavern without concern for molestation. Faithful as the tide, one precocious village waif made it her hobby to shadow my every errand. It was charming then, troublesome later.

And now, let's get a hint how the Ancestor was a cruel, merciless bastard this time:

O7f3oma.jpg

Their price was the delivery of an obscure idol and one other item of more troubling portent. The pact struck, my new-found accomplices slipped silently beneath the brackish water. A fearful stirring at the edge of the torchlight betrayed a familiar witness and gifted me with malign inspiration.

...you can probably imagine where this is going.

nASGgor.jpg
The unfortunate little waif is guaranteed to be in the top left room, so that's where we're headed - no guesswork required this time.

nWa3IDk.jpg
The team is set up to be a somewhat dedicated Mark team: Cliffheart and Kroos are great with and mediocre without marks, Lucy can set up marks, and Dismas can use Pistol Shot to deal bonus Dmg against marked (although he functions well enough without it, too).

Ud6UC0Z.jpg

One downside of this specific team comp: The Occultist's marking ability lowers Dodge, not Prot, so he has to use the non-marking [Weakening Curse] to help the others to pierce through armoured enemies such as the Uca Crusher. As a result, Cliffheart (whose mark does reduce Prot) and Kroos have to do the marking themselves, which means that they lose one round of making use of the mark.

YqdcCuU.jpg

zIlt4xe.jpg

And, of course, there's no Vestal, so you always have to be mentally prepared for this...

qY9kh6V.jpg

We run into a Bas-Relief and Kroos decides to roll that die (there's a 1/3 chance of a bad outcome when licking it and no way to safely cleanse it).

The quirk she gets is OK, nothing to write home about - we've brought Kroos to the last Hag fight, but generally speaking, I still think that Bleed-focussed teams are better than Mark-focussed ones in the Weald.

DvKNMgs.jpg
This Madman gets guarded right before I would be able to finish him off.

AbfsXBq.jpg
He gets four actions in total...

nnkSxtF.jpg
...which ends up with less stress than I thought it would. Dismas is getting a bit high, but nothing too worrying so far.

H2Bh3gk.jpg
Ugh, that's annoying - +30% Stress is quite substantial.

NU3PeIW.jpg

A couple more fights, and we set up camp. Dismas takes anti-ambush and stress relief duty (Lucy doesn't like the jokes, but he's the least stressed one, so that's OK); Cliffheart buffs his damage for the upcoming boss fight - in a way that doesn't increase his damage against the party if he gets mind controlled, so that's doubly nice.

Dismas: "How many adventurers does it take to die in a pit?"

CGcMFse.jpg
One more battle against three of these Widemouths in the hallway...

iv1hbZi.jpg

...and we find the Siren.
(Ancestor, we KNOW you threw her to the fishes yourself. You can stop pretending to be shocked)

PBeovgg.jpg
Dismas has been using his Riposte throughout the dungeon so far, but I kinda don't want to do that when there's going to be an adventurer potentially being hit by those. Instead, he opens with [Tracking Shot] to give him a nice boost for the rest of the fight.

0dOL4sA.jpg
Kroos manages to set up a mark before the Siren gets to act, but then she switches sides. I'm OK with that roll, to be honest, since Kroos without marks doesn't quite pack the same punch as Dismas or Cliffheart do.

onAGlZu.jpg

Dang, even Lucy is outdamaging her!

(to be fair, he gets a LOT of bonus damage against Eldritch enemies specifically, so this is a good opportunity for him to shine)

UlkRvCM.jpg
The Siren uses her second action to summon this Energized Stinger, who then fails to stun Dismas with its [Shocker].

ViV6mJQ.jpg
Turn two, the Siren goes for her [Pressure Crash] - not too dangerous. The main danger always comes from her stealing one of your heroes.

cNCCEMw.jpg
Well, unless the hero decides to bandage non-existing wounds on a jellyfish. How does that even work?!

psy22Av.jpg
The Siren having two actions means that mark has to be renewed fairly often, unfortunately...

B3kUA3e.jpg
...but it's really quite impactful.

002NgrQ.jpg
At the start of turn 3, Kroos regains her senses - since she got her first action before the Siren, she only got the one turn while mind controlled. Very nice! And unlike heroes in the Hag's cauldron, mind controlled heroes return in 4th rank, which is yet another reason why Kroos being the first hero to be targeted is a good thing.

7JdA4h3.jpg
The second targeted is Cliffheart - again after his action, so there's no danger that he would mark and then absolutely destroy anyone on our side.

Hcjv7jc.jpg
After that, the Siren uses [Devour], but all three heroes resist the Bleed that it carries. And as you can see, the Siren is already very low on HP...

dTvNlxq.jpg
Cliffheart does go for the mark - but as I said, no immediate danger comes from this.

GXLfdZD.jpg
Dismas removes the Stinger (not sure why I didn't focus on the Siren here, to be honest).

ZVHKQNu.jpg
And Cliffheart regains his senses. It's more annoying for him to respawn in the back, since I'm not sure if he has any skills equipped to be used from the backrow...

IbdY08a.jpg

...but it doesn't matter because Kroos ends this fight before anyone else can act.

That went a LOT better than the first Siren fight!

88ETOd0.jpg
With the loot, I can fill almost all of my inventory space with treasure (the herbs, shovels, and keys are what I'm throwing away) - only one slot is filled with food, and in my lazyness I decide that it's not worth returning to the entrance and checking the other half of the dungeon over that.

ILLo2eW.jpg
The quest reward was this Ethereal Crucifix, which I never went for previously - the bonus damage is very nice, of course, but the HP penalty is pretty substantial, as well. It might be worth equipping in the Cove I guess? A fair share of its monsters do inflict Bleeds, too.

ifnrfu4.jpg
Better quirks this time: Weald Tactitian isn't quite worth locking in, but Steady most certainly is; and Scattering isn't a problem on a Bounty Hunter. They do have some ranged skills, but they all deal very little direct damage anyway.

SFIwCL5.jpg
As I said - Steady is worth locking in. Batta still has a disease to heal...

am3FRH0.jpg
...except not this week. Huh?

SSyC2OD.jpg
There's a very interesting Apprentice-level mission available. The reason I want to do this can be seen in the bottom left, and it's not that rather mediocre trinket.

scbQPCN.jpg

Our land is remote and unneighbored. Every lost resource must be recovered.

And it's even worth sending this incredibly flimsy group of heroes into the dungeon.

l8NLMey.jpg
Skadi shuffles Stechkin between 2nd and 3rd rank with her [Lunge] <-> Shadow Fade combo - a bit awkward to work with, since Stechkin can only use his Battle Ballad and Inspiring Tune in 3rd rank.

3Nij4oo.jpg
Which means that he uses [Slice Off] most of the time in this dungeon - fights on this level tend to be too short to make the Jester Button that worthwhile, anyway.

If4ISRk.jpg
Between Skadi opening with [Lunge] and Batta's generally high Dmg, this group does have very good, quick damage potential, which is usually good enough to deal with the threats quicker than they can act. Like the first mission of this update, this works nicely here, but would be very risky in the more difficult missions - especially since I actually didn't have a Vestal OR an Occultist to bring with me.

7hqPPm5.jpg

I WAS pretty lucky with avoiding Crimson Cursed heroes before the Baron fight.

WsgM5XE.jpg
Like with the food-gathering missions, we have to find three special curios...

QR21b4Y.jpg
...which drop three quest items in total, taking up some valuable inventory space.

QqnKmCY.jpg
Not a whole lot else to say here, except that the loot was (as to be expected) not that great.

L04ZTfo.jpg

Q9qC6CU.jpg
The real reward though: Free Sanitarium for this week!

Bf8f5hr.jpg
Sora locks in Spiritual (more healing from Vestal), Nearl her +2 Spd quirk (and removes Enlightened while it's free anyway) - 13350 gold worth of treatment in total.

ki3JhPj.jpg

We've gotten enough Crests (300) to get our second district: The Cartographer's Camp with its nebulous description. According to the wiki this gives some flat bonuses instead of multiplying your current torch level's effect: +1% Crit, +2.5% Scout chance, +5% to surprise the monsters, -5% to be surprised by the monsters. We also get a still rather nebulous "+loot" bonus - I'm honestly not sure how loot drops are done in general, so I don't really know how big a bonus that is going to be.

0D7kcKl.jpg
Next stop: Warrens, as well as potentially Nightmare Central, with a pretty good trinket reward for both the mission and the nightmare, should we run into it.

lWDz6jG.jpg
The mission itself is the standard "explore most of the dungeon", and right away we explore a Secret Room directly next to the starting location. We don't go there yet, since the Trapeaaewönjölfdons would block three of our inventory slots. It's good to know that we'll have to keep one key, though.

0ZgIIcN.jpg
"Three chapters in and they didn't as much as make out. Most boring fanfic ever, 0/10"

(Occult Scrawlings can give either stress, a good quirk, or - less likely - a bad quirk when licked. If I recall, Saiga doesn't have too many quirks either way, which is why she got to read them)

j8AREcL.jpg
More mosquitos....

aAZ4u5U.jpg
The team comp is a fairly straightforward dancing formation: Fang (who I forgot to rename from Morphew, shame on me) can use [Adder's Fang] or Impale to move back to 2nd rank...

AlzNEnB.jpg
...which allows Dismas to use [Point-Blank Shot] for increased damage while re-shuffling Fang to the front. It's a bit disappointing that he doesn't manage to one-shot this Sycophant here, to be honest.

ZbuPyuN.jpg
Since these are the Warrens, which means that Blight is far less reliable than Bleed, Phil supplements her double stun utility with [Incision] instead of a her Blight skills (which are generally better, imo).

oYYjVi9.jpg
First fight went fairly well overall - I ended it a bit quicker than maybe is optimal and HP pools aren't quite full, but I always try to avoid getting to many Crimson Cursed heroes, so I generally don't stall against Bloodsucker mobs.

rdmcuZU.jpg
A few fights in, we find the first Swine Skiver, aka that "that bloody bastard".

qzZU17P.jpg
This mob is pretty awkward, because while you really want to get the Skiver down as fast as possible...

en4uOdM.jpg

...the Large Flesh Eater's [Weaken Prey] ability and its Mark effect mean that both it...

WQCvx0X.jpg

...and the regularly-sized Flesh Eater deal decent damage, as well.

iI0xDb0.jpg
In fact, with some annoying misses (both Dismas and Fang whiff against the Skiver)...

EC2YHwQ.jpg
...we get to this rather awkward spot: Fang at Death's Door, and everybody else's HP closer to zero than I'm comfortable with.

PU20GWs.jpg
To make things worse, I didn't bring any antitoxins, so while Fang survives this first death saving throw and then gets healed by Saiga...

WPfgHTY.jpg

Well that ain't good.

risIRaN.jpg
So we end that fight with Fang at Death's Door with a DOT effect that I can't heal - and yes, she can die out of combat.

fZTQS3i.jpg

FIRST CAMP IT IS

Saiga's Sanctuary REALLY comes in handy here - so much that Phil actually uses her Leeches on Dismas for the HP heal despite Fang's Blight, since Fang gets pretty close to 100% health already.

pIwJ3Mw.jpg

Let's hope it is enough, because Nightmare time it is...

I think we've fought this exact line-up before? One of the previous nightmares was supposed to be this but one tier weaker, but we ran into it in a Champion-level mission, so we got these enemies anyway.

...or did we get the third Nightmare (which is this line-up but on Apprentice-level) in a Veteran mission? Or both?

oWnd88V.jpg
This time, the Terrible Pliskin opens with what makes it so dangerous: a very high critrate while it is still stealthed.

dE8ssj7.jpg
Phil's Battlefield Medicine at least heals the Blight stacked on the already present Blight, but despite that and Saiga healing 12 additional HP...

6QgCTnL.jpg
Here we are again!

kvruGc9.jpg

...and here we are again...?

If your Shieldbreaker reaches Death's Door in the Nightmare, it immediately kicks you out and back into the dungeon. The Shieldbreaker gets healed some HP so Fang won't die immediately, but every hero will get more stressed out for the remainder of the run - in Fang's case, it's even +33% Stress and -5 Acc.

DhOCjXM.jpg
So, the nightmare is failed for now, but the standard mission is still on the line. And as long as you have a Vestal...

I73HHi7.jpg
...and a bit of patience to stall a fight and maximize healing, you're still in the game.

l17gQeY.jpg

But of course, low HP isn't the only source of danger.

(and past ping, why did you focus the chonky swine in the front instead of the pukey swines? That's a missplay right here)

fg7oBGw.jpg
Umm....

l28mjBQ.jpg

UMM.......

(seriously, that fight was so poorly handled. *looks at timestamp of the images* 11PM - not much of an excuse either. Past ping, you suck)

f9MtScL.jpg
LIKE WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK PAST PING

dgCRqMl.jpg

Speaking of past ping sucking - don't set up camp while your Crimson Cursed hero is in the craving state of the disease. Blood them up first because yes Fang, I do have any of The Blood, though.

Fang refuses to eat here, which causes the same HP and stress damage as if you deliberately don't feed your heroes when camping.

WfbuDLj.jpg
On the plus side, Sancuary continues to be an amazing camp skill in this situation.

9hBI4bJ.jpg
And speaking of "amazing camp skill in this situation"?

9hBI4bJ.jpg
That's some value leeches right there.

0WN2cpL.jpg
After this camp, we still have a bit to explore, but nothing too major happens before fulfilling the quest objective.

h3MRrgo.jpg
We still make a little detour to another treaure room and the secret room...

cSJHcNB.jpg
...and we leave the dungeon almost 40000 gold richer than we entered. (well, probably more like 32-33k given the cost of supplying ourselves. Still really good though)

qSlmLMT.jpg

Quirks virtually don't matter - Bad Gambler has the amazing counterplay of Not Gambling, and while Fast Healer is both a misnomer and a downgrade from Weald Explorer, it's not something to lose your mind over. The loss of Weald Explorer that is, the discrepancy between quirk name and effect makes the game Literally Unplayable (tm).

And that's it for the update! Thank you for reading!

There we go. A bit more compressed this time, so that I can squeeze in 4 dungeons without going overboard with the length, but sometimes there just doesn't happen anything too special in a dungeon, so I hope it's alright. ;): 

Spoiler
1 hour ago, ping said:

BUT MY REGULAR ANIME INJECTIONS

4e.jpg

1 hour ago, ping said:

Can't oblidge with the Musketeer, though - I don't think I even have the DLC active since she's 99% a reskin of the Arbalest.

Wasn't that DLC free though?

1 hour ago, ping said:

(also the Musketeer's backstory is super lame. What, "I only got 2nd place in a competition REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"?)

(I was actually thinking of making something out of all that, but it's most likely gonna take WAY more effort than it's worth)

(I'm totally gonna make one out of the Arbalester's story though... eventually)

38 minutes ago, ping said:

Update 26 - This game is easy, until it isn't

a5cd1ef3-63ab-4235-9ac6-ebe990320d49.jpg

12 hours ago, Golb89 said:

Wasn't that DLC free though?

It is! But the game arguably gets more awkward when you have two classes that are virtually identical but have their own trinket sets. In my current position, for example, I only have a couple Crimson Court trinkets and I'd love to get some more sets of those. But if I activated the Musketeer DLC, there's a chance that I'd get a Musketeer trinket over one that I can actually use with my current roster, or that I'd get one CC trinket from the Musketeer and the other one from the Arbalest, or something like that.

If the Musketeer would either be just another skin for the same class or fully distinct from the Arbalest - hell yeah, gimme that free stuff. But I dislike how they're ALMOST the same.

Spoiler

On 8/8/2020 at 1:50 PM, ping said:

Dismas is getting a bit high

What's the atmosphere like in the cove?!

enough Crests

Edelgard wants to know your location.

...we get to this rather awkward spot: Fang at Death's Door

AGH!

"Three chapters in and they didn't as much as make out. Most boring fanfic ever, 0/10"

Sigurd's not here because he can't bear to burn it from his own memories.

PU20GWs.jpg
To make things worse, I didn't bring any antitoxins, so while Fang survives this first death saving throw and then gets healed by Saiga...

She did better than

l17gQeY.jpg

Dismusty air is negatively effecting Dismas.

fg7oBGw.jpg

Dismas needs to Dismuster a better resistance against illness!

l28mjBQ.jpg

Dismusting! Do better, Dismas!

f9MtScL.jpg

He's probably thinking "Dismust be the end for me!"

9hBI4bJ.jpg

Nice.

Great update as always, thank you!

Spoiler
On 8/12/2020 at 2:08 AM, Golb89 said:

Pramanix: Impurities must be purged.
Pramanix: As the bells ring, the impenetrable armour shall be no more

First one would be a bit out of character for the SB, I think, but we'll have to wait for the remaining two parts of her backstory to see. ;):

On 8/12/2020 at 2:25 AM, Benice said:

What's the atmosphere like in the cove?!

The fishies always struck me as Bob Marley fans.

Edelgard wants to know your location.

I still know very little about 3H - about as much as Deltre, to be precise - so please no spoilers.
(I know vaguely what you're referencing - the memes are to blame - so don't feel guilty, though)

Dismas needs to Dismuster a better resistance against illness!

...is that Benice's dad writing? Don't pry into your son's internet accounts, sir.

^Answers - Update in a separate post again (and in an hour, give or take).

40 minutes ago, ping said:

Update in a separate post again (and in an hour, give or take).

Yahoo!

40 minutes ago, ping said:

I still know very little about 3H - about as much as Deltre, to be precise - so please no spoilers.
(I know vaguely what you're referencing - the memes are to blame - so don't feel guilty, though)

Oh, whoops! I'll not make more crest-related jokes, then.

• Update 27 - Sod it all
Spoiler

CN9yjFj.jpg

This week, it's Saria's turn to lose some bad quirks - in fact, I'd rather get rid of all three before sending her on a mission again and risk any getting locked in.

Since she's Crimson Cursed, I don't send any non-cursed heroes in with her, since there's a high chance that they would catch the curse as well, and none of the other cursed heroes really need any quirks removed or locked in.

D9xkBbi.jpg

This week's mission will lead us into the Cove - a long mission with the Thing potentially laying in wait for us, but the reward is pretty sweet. Having all heroes act before the monsters on turn 1 is a great bonus, and getting shuffled at the start of a fight is something you should really try to avoid.

The line-up isn't what I end up sending in...

AwwW2OY.jpg
...but I need help figuring out who of the four would be Farrah Fawcett.

5JnUdBz.jpg

These salt-soaked caverns are teeming with pelagic nightmares- they must be flushed out!

This is who I end up bringing: Pramanix to maybe get another try at the penultimate Nightmare, Frostleaf and Dismas as damage dealers, Saiga as a healer.

xjbmsIr.jpg
Notably, Pramanix and Dismas both use their fair share of dancing abilities, which sometimes pushes Frostleaf further back than she would really like.

lzKZFcZ.jpg
She can still use [If It Bleeds], but that can only target 2nd and 3rd rank. Here, she can only target a corpse for that reason.

zqyAwIJ.jpg
So after the fight, I have her equip [Breakthrough] as a pretty good AoE attack which also moves her forward again (and neither Pramanix nor Dismas have too much trouble getting pushed back by it).

WrI05sa.jpg

High-prot enemies such as this Pelagic Champion are still a bit of a problem, since Highwayman and Hellion both rely on Bleed to circumvent prot and the fishies tend to be fairly resistant against that, too.

That said, Dismas has the Sharpening Sheath equipped (the HWM's rare trinket), which gives 40% Bleed chance (as well as +7% Melee crit and -1 Spd), so he still has a very high chance the get a Bleed with [Open Veins].

wTTMWuF.jpg
Pramanix also has [Captivate] equipped, so she can also choose not to change her position if it would be awkward for Frostleaf.

p9bgnCd.jpg

By the way, have I mentioned lately that double stuns are great? Because they are.

Because of the whole set-up, Frostleaf doesn't use [Barbaric YAWP!] every battle, but it's a great help when she can do so on turn 1.

kvNGmVv.jpg

We get another Secret Room scout, in a pretty convenient position: As usual, I want to wait until the end of the mission before collecting the treasure in it (especially since you have to bring a lot of supplies to a long mision) and it is fairly close to the intersection in the middle of the dungeon.

pW4SToW.jpg

Surprise Boss Time!

Not the Thing, which we don't run into this dungeon, not the snek dream (which also doesn't happen during either rest), but the Collector.

RmywwZp.jpg
It rolls 2nd-highest initiative on turn 1, which is a bit annoying. In theory, I have a lot of range on this team, what with Pramanix and Frostleaf both being able to hit all enemy ranks, but Frostleaf would have to stand in front to be able to use her Iron Swan.

UkV3rih.jpg

Which basically means that I'll have to kill one or two of the Collected. The first [Impale] fails to connect with any of them, but at least it gets a nice hit on the Collector.

0Cvr6PX.jpg
Frostleaf uses [Breakthrough] to move forward to 2nd rank...

WZfmoTn.jpg
...Pramanix avoids shuffling her back again...

phll9s0.jpg
...and Dismas probably should've used Point Blank Shot here to get Frostleaf to the front of the pack. Not sure what my thought process was to use [Open Veins] here instead.

fl0fFR1.jpg
The Collector uses [Life Steal] and regenerates 18 HP from it...

0xFsff9.jpg
...and Saiga does a pale imitation of that, using [Judgement], which heals herself for 8 HP.

XGEkXW5.jpg
Dangit, Collector, stop stalling! That's MY thing!

LYMJC4w.jpg
But I do manage to get a fair amount of direct damage and DOT effects on it, so its HP still go down steadily.

Nyk34xX.jpg

Dismas: "Ha haa!"

With some Ripostes added to the attacks that I have to do on the Collected Heads...

uCNXLxG.jpg
...I actually get rid of all the minions.

FBPuNlO.jpg
Which is a very, very temporary success, of course, since the Collector will just use [Collect Call] to summon another trio...

oYqvIrk.jpg
...but it allowed Frostleaf and Dismas (with [Point Blank Shot)] to get more damage in than they would've been otherwise, before the Collector shimmies back to 4th rank again.

MmRqJnO.jpg

In fact, that damage is enough for Pramanix (with Pierce) and Saiga's [Judgement] to finish the fight before any of the second round of Collected Heads gets a turn.

The Collector drops a Puzzling Trapezohedron (it will always do that since I already got all three of its unique trinkets), and I drop one of my two stacks of shovels for it - slightly risky, but it actually doesn't come back to bite me in the arse for once.

eWo7NO4.jpg

And that's most of what I want to say about the dungeon - no Thing, no Nightmares, and the rest of the regular mission goes smoothly.

We run into a Bas-Relief here again, and Saiga takes a look at it again since the other heroes have their quirk lists quire filled already. Eldritch Hater is great, although the stress is obviously more impactful on a Vestal than the damage. But as far as I remember, the endgame is pretty Eldritch-heavy, so this may even be something to lock in.

eOEXJUy.jpg

Oh, I retract the former statement! New enemy type - the last Champion-level only one that we haven't seen, I believe.

(man, I thought Ghast was swole and likes to talk about Fire Emblem supports. Quarantine wasn't kind to him, huh?)

JfvzygE.jpg

Not very surprisingly, he's a stress dealer, and since he's exclusive to tier-3 dungeons, it should not come as a surprise that he's quite dangerous to boot.

[Maddening Shanty] deals 8 points of stress, but more importantly...

f5VKtDV.jpg
...it gives the target +15 Stress UNTIL CAMP, unlike practically every other debuff, which tend to last for 3 turns.

aJ3FG0R.jpg

It also moves Ghast to 1st rank, which implies that he'll use another skill on his second turn, but Frostleaf is having none of it.

Frostleaf: "KREEE-YAAAAA!"

rSxmUzX.jpg
We run into Ghast again though, and this time he gets his second turn and uses [Offkilter Jig] - a party-wide stress-dealing move.

RxYr3Qe.jpg
A really strong one, too: 8 base stress AND a Horror status effect for another 4x5 (!!) stress for the entire party.

AVZf41c.jpg
With some Reveling during camp (Frostleaf's skill, which heals stress but lowers combat stats for a while) and a fair bit of crit- and kill-destressing, everyone but Saiga calms down almost completely towards the end of the run though. And we even find a Ship's Figurehead, which inspires Saiga a great deal.

5B3XXnX.jpg
And that's it: 40k gold and 72 Crests. I'll take it, especially since I'd like to spend some more Crests on the next district to restore.

vvB57px.jpg

Very light on the quirks. You could probably argue that The Fits is actually a beneficial disease for Saiga to have (+3 Spd is pretty massive), but I'm a bit compulsive in that regard and Saiga takes a trip to the Medical Ward immediately.

She is joined by Pramanix (removing Ashen, which debuffs her Blight and Bleed resist) and Stechkin (removing Tone Deaf, which lowers the stress heal he receives when he pushes the second Jester Button for himself).

H63MeF8.jpg

And Dismas gets back into the action right away - it's time for the Necromancer to go die for the last time. I again switch the composition before starting the mission - for some reason, I had "Prophet" on my brain and Lawrence would've been (and most likely will be) great in that fight. But again again - nice name for that line-up, referencing the Collector (who has the MaA, Vestal, and HWM's heads in his collection).

As reminder, the first two Wayne June comments on the Necromancer:

Mastery over life and death was chief among my early pursuits. I began in humility, but my ambition was limitless. Who could have divined the prophetic import of something as unremarkable... as a twitch in the leg of a dead rat?

I entertained a delegation of experts from overseas, eager to plumb the depths of their knowledge and share with them certain techniques and alchemical processes I had found to yield wondrous and terrifying results. Having learned all I could from my visiting guests, I murdered them as they slept.

Of course he murdered them. And now:

xNDOXMS.jpg

Freed from the trappings of their humanity, they plied their terrible trade anew - the dead reviving the dead, on and on down the years... forever.

So the Ancestor is at fault that the old estate is overflowing with skeletons. Who would have thought, he's usually not at all responsible for anything happening around here. Not. At. All.

In time, you'll know the tragic extent of my failings...

9j7C99f.jpg

A devil walks these halls...only the mad or the desperate go in search of him.

I've brought Phil instead of Lawrence, just for general Blight damage and Stun utility. Plague Doc is one of those classes that's never bad to have around.

fOYjmG4.jpg
The path to the boss room doesn't pose any challenges, so I'll go ahead and skip everything but this little Altar of Light which we encounter right after setting up camp: +30% Dmg for Sigurd, pretty good.

rGefLwT.jpg
So, right into the bossfight we go. The plan: Have Sigurd read his fanfics to keep putting damage on the summoned skeletons, so that the Necromancer doesn't get to retreat to the back ranks.

u7VhCEa.jpg
[The Flesh Is Willing]
The start of the battle: Not too bad, despite Sigurd getting crit here...

8IKVGf8.jpg
...because Dismas has already set up his Riposte and double-crits the Necromancer for a total of 53 damage right away.

0zpCXZ5.jpg
Uuuuunfortunately, the next roll isn't as favourable again. Big chonky skeleton that blocks two ranks, has a fuckton of HP and 33% Prot - so much for keeping the Necromancer in the first two ranks...

IpOhFQL.jpg
This here is an amazing Plage Doc ability that I really should've used like 50 times already: [Emboldening Vapours] boosts Dmg by 25% and Spd by 5 - for the entire battle. You can only use it twice (and in this case, Dismas gets the +50%/+10) per battle, but it's bloody amazing in any long boss battle.

8ffUmPf.jpg
[The Crawling Dead]
Necromancer: "Behold, Specter! I have written eighteen fanfictions about the hottest studs in all of literature!"
Specter: "That doesn't sound too ba--"
Necromancer: "AND NONE OF THEM HAVE ANY LEWD SCENES! BWAHAHHAHAHAHHHHH!"

5PCNWqI.jpg

An invisible enemy next! ...which I haven't really considered before the fight. The idea was to have Dismas reset his position with Point Blank Shot, so that he can renew his Riposte once it runs out, but he can't use PBS when there's no targetable enemy in front...

dgoiGLG.jpg

"NEVER FEAR, SPECTER! You can read my crossover fic instead! I have included a humourous scene where Batman and Cloud make out to make Jessica Rabbit jealous so that she realizes that she'd rather marry Commander Shepherd (both Maleshep and Femshep at the same time, I have capital-P Plans for that) instead of Sephiroth.

...it makes all perfect sense in context."

rOIFB4P.jpg
(Specter liked that)

qs2iJis.jpg
...Dismas WOULD have liked that. But hurrah, next invisible summon...

A1emN6W.jpg
Well, at least the Bone General is goes down to a [Wicked Slice].

K5YnlTH.jpg

And, OF COURSE, next invisible summon, so Sigurd can't even use Zealous Accusation on his next action.

This fight is honestly the most awkward boss fight I've had so far (including the Vvulf fight, which was more awful than awkward), partly through bad rolls and partly through silly mistakes - like relying too much on my ability to clean the summoned mooks fast enough. The Necromancer has taken WAY less damage than I would have liked at this point in the fight.

Lzpfc7J.jpg
Speaking of silly mistakes: Instead of manually moving forward, Sigurd does an incredibly unnecessary stress heal, which forces Dismas to use his next action to move back instead - otherwise, he could've set up Riposte again, since that ability reaches 3rd rank.

zoUPgAh.jpg
At least, one of the Bone Sergeants loses his stealth after taking his second action, so Sigurd can use [Zealous Accusation] again. No crit this time - I guess he didn't have time to work on the Double Shepherd scene yet.

zE9XgNB.jpg
Ouch!

fwf0B0s.jpg
...that's better. [Duelist's Advance] sets up Riposte again...

kzDakBE.jpg
...although Dismas doesn't make use of it right away.

cSiJOCX.jpg

Annnnnnd another stealthed summon.

(actually, I make this sound way more unlucky than it is. There's a 57% chance to roll one of those, and th other two options aren't necessarily better for me)

vIrSjAO.jpg
And so it keeps going back and forth, back and forth - which is usually terrible in a boss fight, but the Necromancer is still weak enough for Specter to mostly outheal him.

BqVF3PX.jpg
Sigurd's comment was in response to the Necromancers third ability: It uses The Flesh Is Willing to attack 1st and 2nd rank, The Crawling Dead to target the back rows, and [Six Feet Under] for 15 stress on the entire party (and, of course summons a skeleton if there is room).

JTbqhDw.jpg
Specter: "That's not hot. That not hot at all!!!"

R6YmnOd.jpg

Ping: " And I... I can see Dondon, bitch-slapping me because of this horrible, horrible turncount!"

Every class has its own unique barks for each of the Necromancer's skills, appropriate for the character and sometimes referencing their backstory. As always, the Leper has the best line:

Gawain (were he here): "It whispers of my death. But I know it well."

Turning his fatal disease into a badass quote. That's some next level stuff.

Q6VTytP.jpg
In the end, this fight took 13 turns, which is probably more than twice a long as it really needed to be. Luckily, the Necromancer is still the weakest of all the bosses, so my sloppy play wasn't punished.

ODaHdot.jpg
Since I still have some inventory space free, I backtrack to the entrance and explore a bit into the other direction.

NZ1zfVF.jpg
Most notably, I run into another Bone Bearer - the Ruins' elite mook. Here, it uses [Wicket Surge], which buffs the target with +10 Acc, +20% Dmg on top of the Bearer's passive +25% Dmg boost to all its allies.

qGilXIQ.jpg

Against my own advise, I target one of the Bone Shieldwalls  first here instead of the Bearer - but for some reason I make an effort to have it die to Blight and not a direct attack. I wonder why....?

(at some point, I should probably play stupidly on purpuse just to show why, outside of that nasty +45% Dmg in total. It's not actually that scary)

6KP0wGv.jpg
(still more dangerous than this, I guess? The Bearer uses [Defend the Icon] only when he's in 1st or 2nd rank, doing middling damage and moving back one spot)

h4Ft5bx.jpg

But that's it! I was going to say, "First Champion boss down!", but Vvulf was the first one, I guess? First regular Champion boss, though!

Like all other regular Champion bosses, the Necromancer Lord drops a "Trophy" trinket when defeated - the main incentive (outside of completionism) to go after bosses at this stage of the game, since we can get Very Rare trinkets from regular missions now. The Necromancer's Collar is great in the Ruins, but too situational outside of them.

And speaking of "too situational": We've seen ONE "Stonework" enemy type, the Gargoyle, which isn't even very menacing to begin with. There's ONE other "Stonework" enemy type, although that one is admittedly a lot more dangerous.

9wbRu70.jpg
Only two new quirks, but both of them are quite impactful: Beast is one of the more common enemy types, and a tank receiving more healing is obviously quite a strong boon.

mKpikVw.jpg
New town event! Completely useless for us, though. The Medical Ward isn't that expensive anyway, and we don't even have any diseased heroes this week.

bBJHn7h.jpg
And, of course, it does not include quirk removal/reinforcement. We do another Cursed Sanitarium week, with Saria ridding herself of her second awfully bad quirk. This week, Fang joins her - removing Unquiet Mind so that she can meditate for stress relief again. Not a big deal, but might as well while the Sanitarium is a no-go zone for non-cursed heroes.

L16tgn7.jpg
Speaking of stress relief (I like that phrase, in case you didn't notice): These are some high-demand heroes, so I figure that it doesn't hurt to get them ready to adventure sooner.

Cg2VDiO.jpg

(I was considering buying some upgrades for the Abbey but decided against it. I did go for this hopefully 100% useless Stagecoach upgrade, though)

Next up: Next boss - the Sunken Crew (which is its second incarnation). Last time, Wayne June told us that he hired some seafaring smugglers, although he used more fancy words than that. This time:

kV3Gk42.jpg
I employed a crew of particularly unsavory mariners, who for a time sailed the four corners at my behest, retrieving many valuable artifacts, relics and rare texts. Predictably, they increased their tariffs to counter my intense stipulations of secrecy. Such resources had long been exhausted, of course, and so I prepared an alternative payment.

dyv54bT.jpg

The poor devils, chained and drowning for eternity...

Mate, we can all guess what you meant by "alternative payment". You don't need to pretend. Again.

The path to the left is longer, so that's where the Crew will be. We didn't have too much trouble with it the first time, which is why I dare to bring Lucy as the only designated healer - I'd like our one remaining Lv.4 Vestal to be available for another boss fight before leveling up.

CSpDVfc.jpg
Sora is here to push the Jester button (I mean, what do you expect?); Arden and Benice (whose equipped trinkets lend themselves to unleashing the BEAST) are here to deal damage.

D86u0nn.jpg

The increased Crit rate from the Jester button helps, too - to lower the stress inflicted by the transformation. And to kill enemy stress dealers more quickly. That helps, too.

(As a reminder, since I don't think I've mentioned this in a long time: When the Abom transforms, all the other heroes will suffer some stress, some of which is relieved when he goes back to his human form. Staying in the beast form will cause some stress for the Abom every single turn after the first one. His Restraining Padlock (the Very Rare Abom trinket) reduces both of those stress sources.)

847fNrp.jpg
Lucy is also here to help with that "5 Dmg with a crit" conundrum you can see on the previous picture, using [Weakening Curse] to debuff Prot (and Dmg).

Vsjx8yt.jpg
The journey is fairly uneventful, so I once again skip to the camp. To keep any would-be ambushers away, Lucy invokes the power of Tentacle Satan, which is slightly unnerving to the other heroes, but saves one point of Respite...

1w6KhSH.jpg

sKVHUJg.jpg

...which leaves space for Sora to immediately heal that stress and then some, as well as Benice getting two nice bonuses for the boss fight ahead.

There's going to be one more fight in the hallway to the boss, which is actually a blessing in disguise because it allows Sora to re-apply the Jester butto--

R0LZ7aZ.jpg
--oh hai Mark

XDoo7iF.jpg
This fight opens a lot better than the last one, though: Benice gets a Stun right away...

SEvqb2g.jpg
...so when the Collector gets its first action at the end of turn 2, it's already well below half HP.

1e4ZVHM.jpg
Since I don't really have amazing reach in this team comp, I still need to kill some of the Collected, though...

Ik86Ity.jpg
...which then prompts the Collector to fill up their ranks immediately again.

E4nmpMK.jpg
But thanks to its crescendo effect, Benice manages to one-shot one of the heads just as fast...

bfEP6Ob.jpg
...and we can continue attacking the Collector directly.

lsYiJMi.jpg

FgGSvqb.jpg

And we're done! Apart from Sora, everyone is slightly below max HP, which is slightly bad since we don't have the Vestal's AoE heal available, but "slightly" is the operative word here.

4fJ1Dip.jpg
Next up: The Sunken Crew. First time, we completely stompted them, so you're forgiven if you've forgotten what they do first:

nEy3dem.jpg

l2iZP23.jpg

It summons a Roperman in front of it, while also pulling Benice to the front. This is a free action at the start of the turn, so you can't outspeed this one.

The Roperman starts the fight with pretty strong buffs, including 50% Prot, so it seems prudent to focus on the main boss right away:

oNbZmSA.jpg
BENICE SMASH!

raL37xw.jpg
LUCY SLASH!!

V5ZsqW6.jpg
ARDEN SMASH!!!

Jesters are very good, you guys.

ckkywFp.jpg

[Boarding Clutch] - the bosses standard attack. It also carries a 3-point bleed.

This is all very reminiscent of the first Crew fight which ended before the boss could even show the start of its gimmick. But this time, I didn't stun the Roperman...

kTDgWqy.jpg

...so it can throw the Anchor at Benice. [Heave to!]

This does effectively three things: One, Benice will take stress damage every turn until he reaches 100 (but he's not out of commition like the Hag's dinner). Two, the defensive boni are transferred to the main boss. Three, as long as Benice is chained (or double-chained, given his class), the boss will heal HP every turn. How many? I'm not sure.

iPFkPBK.jpg

Benice doesn't want me to know.

Benice: "AARRARRRGGGH!"

qB9mrJc.jpgqB9mrJc.jpg
Killing the Roperman also gets rid of the Crew's 50% Prot, so it's time to lay into it again - including Sora, since they're already pretty low on HP.

aj81JHt.jpg
The Crew gets to summon another Roperman at the start of turn 3...
(Lucy was targeted, but resisted the Pull)

DENb69y.jpg
...but the Roperman doesn't get to do its thing again. Benice doesn't want it to.

u8ot3ey.jpg

I'm a bit lazy here, I guess, judging by the shovels and bandages etc. in my inventory that I maybe could've replaced with treasures by exploring the rest of the dungeon. Oh well!

The Sacred Scroll is a pretty strong choice - it really neuters the Vestal's offensive power (and the reduced Stun chance doesn't help matters, either), but +33% Healing does make up for it.

3Th6vNK.jpg

Did Noish and Alec mock Arden for his statue one too many times? What jerks!

(Neither quirks are something I'll spend money locking in, but Man Slayer in particular will probably come in handy a couple times until it's overridden by a new quirk)

fbyiTyD.jpg

We get another inconsequential town event - no free spots in the roster for you, sorry.

And that's it for this update! Next time: I won't make any promises (haven't looked at the save after this point), but maybe We Are The Flame. Or maybe we are but moths drawn to the flame. We'll see which, if either!

Spoiler

On 8/13/2020 at 10:16 AM, ping said:

BENICE SMASH!

MOVE OVER VVULF, I IS BIGGEST BAMAGE DEALER!

Who would have thought, he's usually not at all responsible for anything happening around here.

He murdered and ressurected several people? Le Shoc!

so I prepared an alternative payment.

Hugs! Kittens! Not knives or anchors! Definitely!

Benice doesn't want me to know.

HP regenerated = E=mc^2

We Are The Flame

Rather than becoming vengeance?

5 hours ago, Benice said:

HP regenerated = E=mc^2

Hmm... I weigh around 80 kg, so for me, that would be around 7190041430000000000 (Joule). That's a lot. I think I made the right call targeting the Ropeman.

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Rather than becoming vengeance?

WE ARE THE VENGEFUL FLAME if you insist, although I wouldn't be surprised if Odin Dark and Ophelia had already patented that phrase.

• Update 28 - WE ARE BECOME THE VENGEFUL FLAME, DESTROYER OF WORLDS
Spoiler

DEnLX9F.jpg

Only one mission this update, but it's a big one, deserving a separate update for itself:

We Are The Flame
The creature's power waxes terrible. Recover the protective relics from the long-abandoned base camp, but beware the Shuffling Horror.

"Shuffling Horror" might look like it's English, but it's actually ancient Phoenician for "Do not bring your Leper OR your Arbalest". The "ffl" is silent and it's pronounced more like "Shoongorr", or maybe "Shoongoch" ("ch" as in Loch Ness).

So instead of Gawain or Kroos, we bring:

i2WYaRT.jpg
Pramanix, as a very position-flexible, armour piercing damage dealer. With +35% Dmg from her trinkets, she hits really hard and with perfect reach.

A7H8mOU.jpg
Dismas, since he's almost as flexible as Pramanix and his Riposte should be quite good against the Shoongorr. He's equipped a bit more defensively with the Book of Sanity - looking at it now, maybe a +Acc trinket would have been a better choice here, since his Riposte isn't too accurate on its own.

uJQTdof.jpg
Phil, as a support hero. She is stacking her Stun chance as much as possible, since her Double Stun is the Plague Doc's most valuable ability. She's more easily disrupted by being shuffled, but notably, her Dmg buff skill can be used from anywhere and she can equip Incision for the boss fight as an option if she gets pulled to the front.

pSYE9mu.jpg
Specter, our OG Vestal, fully committed to her role a healer. I would imagine that she is using the Sacred Scroll to hide her Salacious Diary while doodling inappropriately into it.

Tuo3y7M.jpg

The Darkest Dungeon functions just like a regular dungeon, medium-length in this case, although just like the Courtyard, its layout is completely predetermined.

I do mostly remember this dungeon's map because it's built pretty simple - start left, go right.

WE4QjlH.jpg
Once again, the stars are right, and the Manor sits at the very epicenter of cosmic unrest. Cultists rally to their twisted idols, and great gongs sound in anticipation of the coming sacrifices. Far below, life-laden shadows pulse to the unrelenting rhythm of a beating heart...

SW6Mxa1.jpg
Here we are - the final dungeon. Not the final mission and we're not going to be locked into it - no worries, we are going to clear the Courtyard and the regular bosses before this LP is over.

kaUMDkL.jpg

The blood of the fallen flows ever downward along these titan spires - the creature fattens itself on your failures...

Aw come on, two deaths isn't that many, is it?

The Darkest Dungeon's general feel is... different from anywhere else.

b6a4sKG.jpg
It starts out fairly harmless, with two Rapturous Cultists who literally have no offensive skills whatsoever...

eTgqBxv.jpg
...(making this fight completely danger-free)...

tmjyeJZ.jpg
...and continues with a lone Cultist Priest. And while this may seem rather ominous...

9Wmmpbc.jpg
...especially when you get a glimpse of what's underneath those robes...

nNGXhWX.jpg

...this is actually just another introductionary fight.

Pramanix: "Dancing and fighting - there is no difference."

ZmCXxbm.jpg
The first actual fight waits in the following room: Two Ascended Brawlers and another one of those Cultists. Dismas opens the fight by one-shotting the Rapturous Cultist with a Duelist's Advance crit (the old maxime of killing the healer fist).

MxML9iz.jpg
The Ascended Brawlers function largely like the down-to-earth ones that we've fought a million times already, even though they [Rend for the new God] now. They follow a general trend of "slightly higher numbers" compared to their Champion-level equivalent.

3wsrTO9.jpg
So yeah, still not the most dangerous mob we've encountered this playthrough.

oJcupGy.jpg
The path takes a branch after this - doesn't matter which way you choose. We take the upper one here.

aF7UtDO.jpg
The next mob has two Ascended Witches in the back -

g1IPdAF.jpg
[Blinding Grenade]
stress dealers who should always be prioritized, especially since our group doesn't have too great stress recovery even for when we'll set up camp.

NSc1trn.jpg
One of them still gets a [Fate's Reveal] in: Once again a higher-numbers version of the Acolyte's Stressful Incantation. 20 Stress (which IS pretty nasty), -10 torchlight (whatever), and a Mark...

kKzjCym.jpg
...which the Brawlers do make use of (+50% Dmg).

XRe17mP.jpg
[Fate's Pull]
The Witches also keep the push and pull abilities of their lesser sisters, also dealing some minor stress to the target.

uNAjfnI.jpg
Next fight: A trio of Cultist Priests, which of course means that this time there's no way to prevent them from using their abilities.

Kc47M8A.jpg

The first one is [The Finger], dealing fairly high Dmg (especially considering that it can hit any rank) that can also be buffed by a Mark, and 15 Stress and a 6-point Bleed on top of that.

JOUxyBe.jpg
And then there's [Death Lash], which is not quite as dangerous when you have the Vestal's AoE heal available. It does deal some minor stress and debuffs Bleed resist to make The Finger more dangerous.

srLFVpr.jpg
From the amount of stress-dealing attacks, you can probably guess that the Darkest Dungeon is more attritious than immediately dangerous. Sure, that Finger Crit hurt, but HP is easily restored. Sanity, not so much.

mJ6Od71.jpg
The fight ends beautifully, though: Double Dodge into Riposte Crit. 10/10, would Riposte again.

fENADWp.jpg
Next branch (still not too important as long as you remember that the goal is directly eastwards from the start), next fight.

PtRhmAz.jpg
This time, we get a look at the Rapturous Cultist's abilities: [Flesh Wall] is a generic Guard ability - no bonus to Prot or Dodge like any other Guard will give. In a way, it's just some additional HP for the guarded Priest.

eOOkzN5.jpg
As is [Flesh to Flesh], a generic Heal spell. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't cost the Cultist a few HP, to be honest.

wE2b1tv.jpg
But that fight still ends pretty quickly and easily, and so does this one, thanks to some high Dmg rolls and timely crits. I'm taking a bit of a zig-zag route because I remember that bag in the background being here:

SVieQHl.jpg

It contains another one of the Ancestral trinkets (each of which is a one-of-a-kind, by the way). Could be nice for characters that are still Lv. 3-4 when we're through all tier-2 bosses, but I generally prefer trinkets with immediate combat or exploration bonuses.

This is basically the only treasure that we find during the exploration, too. Unlike literally every other dungeon, monsters don't drop anything in the Darkest Dungeon.

379Zecj.jpg

And we're back to moving eastwards. We didn't even have to make a detour get the treasure, since we had to go up or down anyway, and now we're getting closer to the boss.

But first: New enemy type! The Malignant Growth...

CiHPZcO.jpg

...immediately dies to a Duelist's Advance crit and a high-roll on Pramanix' [Pierce] (note the 11-22 in the bottom left). Perfect 21+21 Dmg, too.

I can't quite remember what the Malignant Growth actually does, and I'm going to not look it up so that it'll be a bee-yootiful surprise if/when we meet another one in the next endgame mission.

ilAerlb.jpg

The Priest goes down quickly, as well, but not before geting a Finger poke at Specter.

I'll point to the bottom left again, though: Since both Priests and Witches deal stress with all their attacks, our stress levels are starting to rise slowly, but steadily.

P4pg449.jpg

And sometimes quickly AND steadily.

PTRvTZy.jpg

Oh, and we learn that the Cultists can heal themselves by chewing off their own flesh. I did not need to know that, to be honest.

zFfI6W9.jpg
After the fight, it seems to be time to set up camp and for Dismas to make some inappropriate jokes. Pramanix approves, Specter does not, Phil doesn't care. In addition to that and the obligatory anti-ambush skill, Dismas also gives himself a little boost for the upcoming boss fight.

sMzKxFA.jpg
Before that, we run into one last mob in the hallway (one priest, two witches).

m6SuOC7.jpg
Which basically undoes the stress relief from camping for Pramanix. A bit too high stress for my taste, considering we haven't even reached the boss yet.

3caNafE.jpg
Before entering the next door, I use my excess food to heal my HP. I'm not entirely sure at this point if the boss waits in this room or the one after, so I leave enough food for a possible hunger check...

XQO1QVt.jpg

...but this room it is. Meet the Shuffling Horror.

Also known as "The Shambler, but with those tentacle... tumor... things". This bodes well.

J2acPYg.jpg
The Shoongurr is pretty slow though, so before anything else, Dismas sets up his Riposte with [Duelist's Advance]...

uUN4uRq.jpg
...and Phil uses [Envigoring Vapours] to make sure that those Ripostes count.
Pramanix tries and fails to get a Blight in with Captivate - bit of a crapshoot anyway, since the Shuffling Horror's Blight resist is quite a bit higher than its Bleed resist.

lOPBDoI.jpg
The Horror's first action is [Undulations], which deals rather pitiful damage...

gTDeGxq.jpg
...to everyone, so it's guaranteed to trigger any Ripostes you have...

kIhHl81.jpg
...and - surprise, surprise!! - shuffles the party. This formation is honestly about as bad as it can get, but on the plus side, I somehow expect the "Shuffling Horror" to continue shuffling the party, so I don't even bother resetting any positions as long as the hero in question can do anything productive.

GIBQ0Bj.jpg

The priest in the back constantly adds damage to the fight, but it's still a bad call to target it. Not as "immediate death and destruction" bad as attacking Wilbur in the Swine King fight, but the Shuffling Horror will still use a punishing ability to re-summon the priest if you kill it.

Which is something that I learned the hard way on my first playthrough, so I'm afraid you won't be able to see it in this LP. Stupid LPer with his learning of things...

YrFwEMB.jpg

The boss' remaining ability is [Lacerate] - relatively weak damage, even considering that it hits two heroes, but it does carry a 4-point Bleed on top of that.

On my second turn, Dismas renews his Riposte (not really necessary yet, but might as well while he cannot use his Wicked Slice or Point Blank Shot)...

1UD6RwI.jpg
...and Phil takes a stab using [Incision], which she specifically has equipped in case she gets shuffled to the front. Since she isn't wearing any trinkets helping with her direct damage, 5 Dmg is about what you'd expect from a Plague Doc, but she does get a Bleed in.

dKqT3rR.jpg
Next shuffle (and this time, the boss dodges Dismas' Riposte):

aWyqGVc.jpg

Well, Specter in the front is actually awful, since she can use neither of her healing spells from there. I've seen advice to bring a Occultist for this battle instead for that exact reason, but I have to say that I still value the Vestal's multiheal too much.

Qz6B7U2.jpg

But you know what isn't awful? An ability that ignores the Shuffling Horror's Prot AND pushes Specter back to 2nd rank.

Pramanix: "What an easy target!"

Eh, I wouldn't go that far, but honestly? The uncorrupted Shambler was more scary thus far.

8nsXMTz.jpg
In fact, Dismas adding another 30 Dmg with a Riposte and a [Wicked Slice]...

ecPmA5v.jpg
...allows Pramanix (who rolled higher initiative this turn) to finish the Shuffling Horror.

wzKpn9E.jpg
It does not quite end the fight, since killing the boss doesn't de-spawn the Cultist Priest...

FZIyEo9.jpg
...but Dismas sees to that.

nrlQAoV.jpg

And that's the first endgame dungeon finished! Honestly not as hard as I was expecting (or remembering) - I suspect that I took more damage on the way on my first run and triggered the Shoongorr's most dangerous ability by killing the priest first, something along those lines.

We get another Ancestral trinket for our trouble, one that's deceptively good for any expedition. +25% Scouting chance is pretty darn amazing, since it'll lead into a lot more surprised mobs, which translates into less opportunities for those mobs to harm your party.

Q7OH8xy.jpg
Completing the mission does give us a fairly generous reward (19k gold is more than we were getting in a single mission in the early- to midgame, really)...

DxLl2Mh.jpg
...and, as usual, the members of the expedition get a couple new quirks of varying impact. Natural Eye is quite good (I always like more reliability), Ruminator is quite bad, the rest isn't too big a deal either way.

CLEuPoX.jpg

Clearing an endgame mission also fully de-stresses every single hero in the village - something that I completely forgot about, but with our increased passive stress heal from the Puppet Theatre district, I'm not too upset that I didn't make better use of it, either.

Also - note the small torch symbols next to the four heroes' names?

PHancHV.jpg
Heroes who have been to the Darkest Dungeon will refuse to go in a second time (which, incidently, is why I didn't bring both Shieldbreakers). The game really wants you to build up a nice, big roster of heroes (including at least four Vestals, I might add).

lqkidHm.jpg

But that's it for this update! I did a little bit of Sanitarium management before closing the game, but nothing major - Dismas locks in his new quirk, and he and Honeybadger rid themselves of some semi-impactful negative ones. Pramanix gets her Syphilis treated.

Next time: We'll see, depending on what rewards the missions will give. I'll probably keep out of the Darkest Dungeon for a while, since there's still a lot of regular boss fights left, as well as two full Courtyard maps. Presumably, I'm going to work on at least one of those in my next playing session.

Thanks everyone for reading!

Dang, would "Flaming Vengance" have been funnier? Oh well...

Spoiler

(I actually make this double post because I just remember that I blocked myself from this Steam achievement with that run:
U6XPVUn.png
I don't care too much about achievements, especially in a game that already has an explicit goal / win condition, but I meant to mention it in the update but forgot)

• Update 29 - Can't have too many Vestals
Spoiler

vrHTuhx.jpg

Now, like me, you will begin to see things as they truly are...

Neat! Will I also begin to quip really, really good one-liners? *Ahem* YOU DID A GOOD THING! BUT REMEMBER, BAD THINGS WILL FOLLOW!

I think I did very well there.

hrwPhJp.jpghrwPhJp.jpg

To get back into the regular boss-killing, we bring A Bloody Banquet to The Flesh, which seems a bit roundabout. I also consider getting Honeybadger out of the Sanitarium, since his multi-bleed is as good an ability as it gets against the Flesh, but I decide against it - this line-up should do quite nicely, too.

The usual reminder - this is what the Ancestor had to say when we first went after the Flesh:

My zeal for blood rituals and summoning rites had begun to ebb, as each attempt invariably brought only failure and disappointment. Progress was halting, and the rapidly accumulating surplus of wasted flesh had become burdensome.

SxYn1Gf.jpg

I could not stor such a prodigious amount of offal, nor could I rid myself of it easily, possessed as it was by unnameable things from outer spheres. When excavations beneath the Manor broke through into an ancient network of aqueducts and tunnels, I knew I had found a solution to the problem of disposal.

I think our Ancestor would do really, really well in the real world as the CEO of Exxon, or some similar position!

To do a more serious lore comment though: Fighting the Flesh right after getting a first glimpse of the Darkest Dungeon is pretty well-timed (which was totally planned from the very beginning of the LP, of course!!!) - I wouldn't be surprised if the Flesh's body horror with its mouths in all the wrong places is meant to look like a failed attempt at creating something similar to the enemies in the Darkest Dungeon, the Priests in particular. Given that the Ancestor has been at fault for literally everything bad we've encountered thus far, it's not too big a leap to assume that he also opened the gates to the Cthulu dimensions...

bEGViOU.jpg

The thing is more terrible than I can describe - an incoherent jumble of organ, sinew and bone.

The dungeon layout is quite clear: The boss room is in the top right, and going right and then up seems to be the path of least resistance. And it is: In fact, I don't run into any enemies before reaching the boss.

wxt4TbX.jpg
What I do run into is a secret room near the middle of the map...

tQcgODe.jpg
...and two sets of Occult Scrawlings. The first one is rather stressful for Stechkin to read (not too bad though, just +21), the second one doesn't have any effect. Guess that means that it's not as bad anymore if you read a horrible fanfic for a second time? I would test the theory, but I really don't want to read My Immortal even once.

gAHl83i.jpg
But after that, we get right into the fight.

8YXbMpM.jpg
Right away, the Flesh transforms into two Hearts and two Butts. I would do a Doppelherz joke, but I don't know if I even have a German audience...

V8Ra262.jpg

Hilarious hypothetical jokes aside, let's give a quick recap how this boss works. The Flesh consists of four independent creatures which will transform randomly at the start of every turn - but they all share its rather huge HP pool. That means you can't focus one of them down and out of the fight, but on the plus side, multihit attacks (and multi-DOTs) will hit the Flesh multiple times.

Offensively, every body part has one attack associated with it, so the Flesh announces what it will do at the start of every turn. The Hearts will use [Sanguine Stroke] to heal some HP and they have very high speed - so this first action of the battle is completely without effect.

mjkQNpS.jpg
Deepcolour goes next and makes use of the [Abyssal Artillery]'s double-hit. Despite the attack only having a 33% Dmg penalty which is lessened even further against Eldritch enemies, it doesn't do too much damage - Deepcolour is specced to heal, not to deal damage, and the Occultist doesn't have the greatest base damage.

MH2VvFO.jpg
Both butts poop an [Undulating Invasion] at Stechkin, who dodges the first but not the second one.

Qhqm6hZ.jpg
Warfarin goes for [Rain of Sorrows], to get the double bleed on the Flesh. Taking a look at the numbers, it's actually just as good as the Houndmaster's Hound's Harry: double 4-point Bleed vs. quadruple 2-point Bleed.

qLCT4mN.jpg

Masterfully executed!

And Batta sets up his riposte, getting a nice crit doing so. He targets a Heart instead of a Butt because the latter have 40% Prot and the former does not.

wXOdQ3m.jpg
Stechkin doesn't push the Jester button this fight, since he also has a double Bleed at his disposal. [Harvest] only deals a 3-point bleed, but that's still six damage per turn.

OcE0U51.jpg
Next turn: Doppelherz again, but this time with a Head and a Bone instead.

CCyWCa3.jpg
They both have very high Prot (60% on the Head, 80% on the Bone), so it's a bit unfortunate that they spawn in the front two ranks. Batta adds to the Bleed with [Open Veins], which can't reach the Hearts in the back.

8oC2USA.jpg

XtNol92.jpg
More fortunately, both of the Flesh's attacks whiff: The Head's [Maws of Life] (high Dmg plus Bleed) and the [Bone Zephyr] (low Dmg, but adds a Stun).

9D6Ehqj.jpg
As a result, everyone (except Batta) can do exactly the same as they did turn 1. Which also means that I've made more progress than the 100 remaining HP suggest, since there's a LOT of bleed on the Flesh already.

VrqvB1d.jpg
Especially on the 3rd rank, since Stechkin and Warfarin's attacks overlap there.

A7CfEFw.jpg
The flesh is a bit more successful in this third round, dealing quite a lot of damage to Batta here.

a228EIL.jpg
Fourth turn, it gets all the organs, except not quite in the right order.
(Deepcolour used his heal there as the first action this turn. HP bars weren't visible on the screenshot right at the start of the turn, so I picked this one)

EyMhfFq.jpg

...wait, this can happen? *checks wiki*

"10% +1 Target", for both the Butt and the Head.

Huh, today I learned. Never happened to me before and I guess I always read past it when writing the update for the first Flesh fight.

Bu3dTpj.jpg
Doesn't matter too much for this fight though, since the Bleed becomes too much for the Flesh before anyone can take another action.

AshediZ.jpg
It does mean that I set up camp right after the fight, despite being at literally zero stress at the end of the fight. Without a Vestal, I don't really want to risk having multiple characters below 50% health.

sC76oPZ.jpg

None of these four classes have any dedicated HP heals for camping, either, so I have to make do with to generic [Wound Care] to get HP up as much as possible.

Batta: "Did I wash this needle? Well, too late now."

wGj1OWY.jpg
In the interest of maybe getting four missions into this update, I'll skip the rest of the dungeon. Nothing happens that we haven't already seen. Of note: Warfaring stops being Mercurial by burning bad fanfictions...

fw6FMvU.jpg

iofnFm2.jpg

The blood pumps! The limbs obey!

...Deepcolour shows why people with a gambling problem prefer the Occultist over the Vestal...

m5xbL6q.jpg
...Stechkin talks to a stone and it tells him all the secrets of the Warrens...

NN3zBBZ.jpg
...and, of course, we end the mission with a trip to the secret room, automatically making the whole ordeal a financial success.

rONTOZI.jpg

Not bad at all.

The Wounding Helmet is another trinket that greatly buffs one aspect of a class at the cost of another, which makes it a bit situational, but really good when you want your Bounty Hunter to play a pure Damage Dealer role.

pX2pRYJ.jpg
Quirk-wise, Torn Rotator is obviously not something you want on an offensive class (that isn't the Arbalest). The Ruins quirks are nice when they apply, though.

IUaIPuM.jpg
So is this event, but "when it applies" is certainly not now. Guess how many heroes will indulge in Stress Relief Activities this week.

7Zu4pBn.jpg
Correct, none of them (and if for whatever reasone I would've sent Deepcolour to the Abbey, he wouldn't have needed the bonus to recover all the stress anyway).

2NhRuwQ.jpg

One thing that I only now remember: Heroes that already went to the Darkest Dungeon no longer count for your roster size, so we suddenly have four more spots to fill. Now, it's possible that Lv.1 is just too low for a hero (or rather Apprentice) to ever really have an impact, but here's my counterpoint:

Warrior of Light. On a Shieldbreaker.

That is all. All I need.

6d86gCL.jpg
She doesn't lock it in right away, though, since the spot in the Treatment Ward is blocked by another new recruit: Gavial the Plague Doctor (name courtesy of Golb89, as is Vigna the Shieldbreaker), who immediately locks in her unconditional +5 Accuracy quirk.

I5IN4dZ.jpg

Next stop: The Courtyard. Viscount, we're coming for you.

(subtitles were a bit borked here, with the first part disappearing immediately. Thank god for the wiki)

2SddEvt.jpg

The feasting and revelry would last for weeks at a time. Great stone tables were set with such an abundance of rare delicacies that we would stuff ourselves until the exotic became mundane. When the lavish spread began to spoil, a ravenous gourmand gleefully proposed that we sample from the fetid pile of composting refuse ! The notion was dismissed as decidedly unhealthy. But days later, he was found cackling madly atop a heap of rancid comestibles, licking his fingers in delight.

Ummmm..... Ew? Eww!

U6rO3h0.jpg

The corpulant braggard could never eat his fill. Let him dine on sharpened steel tonight.

It seems very unlikely to say the least that we'll get to the boss in a single attempt. This comp is meant to be very resistant to attrition, what with Saiga and Sora being able to keep HP high and stress low, but the Courtyard maps are still bloody huge.

We get a nice initial double scout in, showing that the path directly to the east is locked (which is also a rather clear sign that the Viscount will wait somewhere east of the starting point). Inside sources claim that the blue key is hidden to the north and that the south is just a cul-de-sac.

nOa6tbr.jpg
First fight!

2LaG6hZ.jpg
Fang is obviously here to punch fast and hard. Both her trinkets increase her direct damage, with the Mercurial Salve giving a nice +25% Dmg against Bloodsuckers.

lvkj8SX.jpg
Sora actually doesn't push the Jester Button quite as frequently. It's only really good if you press it consistently, and I expect to be using his stress heal quite often, so he directly adds to the damage output with [Slice Off], which isn't even a bad skill to begin with.

1OpVsk0.jpg
Lawrence is here to tank, wearing the Collected MaA's head to increase his Prot and the Book of Sanity to offset the stress penalty.

zD3A9Cw.jpg
He also uses [Bolster] to increase Dodge and reduce stress - another reason why Sora is attacking directly: otherwise, Fang would be the only real damage dealer of the team.

8wo2rdY.jpg
Finally, he uses [Rampart] for its Stun. This skill is often a bit disruptive to your own party since it moves Lawrence forward a rank, but Fang doesn't really mind.

HYutoI1.jpg
So, first fight done, secone one coming up.

T0eqLdi.jpg
It starts a bit annoying, with the Manservant guarding the (more dangerous) Esquire and Fang missing her attack against the Courtesan.

1BmGZPq.jpg
Which allows her to inflict the Horror status on the entire party with [Careless Whispers]...

Zib9cIh.jpg
...but all in all, this enemy group lacks a real damage dealer to be really threatening...

cQdmQU2.jpg

...so HP levels don't really go down during it.

(I wonder how many of those heart-shaped locks you would find at any major bridge)

NeBwL47.jpg
Next enemy formation, again without too much of an offensive threat. Also, Fang just basically one-shot the Courtesan with Adder's Kiss and its Blight effect.

eohzjzP.jpg
I'll skip the next fight too - despite the crit, nobody was really in danger during it. This crit has some effect though: The Blight lasts for five instead of three turns (and optimist/fool that I am, I didn't bring any Antidotes).

hyfvdJG.jpg
So even though the fight ends with decent enough HP levels...

qMwL8Q5.jpg

...the next one starts with both Saiga and Lawrence being fairly low on HP.

Also, as a side note: The two paths at the last intersection will rejoin soon enough, but going left is a bit of a detour.

jDzrBZR.jpg
But back to the fight. Good start.

yeDhbTH.jpg
Saiga heals Lawrence first, selfless soul that she is...

YpK0HEP.jpg
...and then eats a crit.

mBqZpjS.jpg
Well that ain't good. At Death's Door and Bleeding, which means that she WILL have to roll against death at least once, since nobody else has a emergency healing skill.

r2gD0lv.jpg
To make sure that it will be only one roll, Lawrence makes sure to guard her...

WDgd7Eq.jpg

...which works unless an attack hits both of them at the same time. Well what are the fucking odds.

Actually, what ARE the odds? I hate to be the BULLSHIT RNG guy, but honestly?

• The Chevalier had a 14% chance to crit, and while I don't have a screenshot with Saiga's exact HP, I'm certain that the normal damage range (10-16) couldn't have killed her.
  • Actually, I think she was as exactly 22 HP - she healed herself to 38 HP near the end of the last fight, and the Blight would've dealt 4 Dmg four times after the battle.
  • The Chevalier has two abilities, so since there's nothing that suggests otherwise, I'll assume that it has a 50% chance to use Buried Blast.
  • Which hits two random targets. There's six possible pairs in a group of four, so it's a 16.7% chance for that pair to be Lawrence and Saiga.
  • But before that: Saiga has a higher Spd stat than the Chevalier (6 vs. 2), so he'd have to roll higher by four on a D8 to speed-tie her (1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8 --- so 4 in 64, or 1/16, or 6.25%) or more than that to outspeed her (1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 2-7, 2-8, 3-8 --- so 6 in 64, or 3/32, or 9.375%)
  • If we assume that a speed tie is decided by a coinflip, that makes a total chance of 1/8, or 12.5%, for Saiga to lose the initiative roll.
  • The chance to fail a death saving throw is 33%.
  • Actually, we would need to consider the odds of Lawrence ´being in a certain spot in the turn order
  • Don't forget that Saiga had to roll against death once anyway - and a second time if she had survived this one.

Alright, considering all of this, the answer is Pi/2 (it always is) and RNG is a bitch.
Also, I'm not saying that this'll be on the test, but I'm also not saying that it won't be. As homework, calculate how different ways to resolve a speed tie will change the odds.

HkaXqhg.jpg
...damn though. Now I only have three Vestals left on my team, like some kind of scrub.

LYfeMQr.jpg
And obviously the run is over a lot quicker than I was hoping for. We were very close to a mini boss (guess who) that I wanted to get through and then some.

0BADbJS.jpg
...yeah, I'm a bit worried too, Sora...

dgEuDra.jpg
Speaking of worried, can you spot what's wrong on this picture? (Hint: It's nothing. Everything is fiiiiiiiiine)

oEydn1d.jpg

Or this one?

Once you've beaten the first part of the Darkest Dungeon, stuff like this will pop up in the hamlet - the first thing I noticed were tentacles sometimes popping up in the Estate Map right when you select a mission. Very, very briefly and only rarely though, so I haven't been able to get a screenshot thus far. The completely normal and not at all disturbing character portraits persist until you move your cursor over them, though.

(I think it's coincidence that both our Occultists were affected? Fitting, though)

G2vbEmd.jpg
The mission with the Bloody Herb reward is what I'm going for next. I was also considering a trip to the Ruins to get this HWM trinket, but I figured that I'm using Batta and Dismas' melee skills (Riposte, Wicked Slice, Open Veins) fairly often, making this trinket worse than it could be; while at the same time, Phil has been using Incision quite a lot.

J2ZFLgR.jpg
It's a simple "finish room battles" mission - Veteran difficulty, no Thing From The Stars, no bad dreams.

7iCNjgG.jpg
Most noteworthy: I poke two of these Throbbing Coccoons...

YaNyoGe.jpg

...to release these Gatekeeper monsters. I don't WANT to go back to the Courtyard, not after the calamity of the last attempt, but needs must.

Well, actually, I don't NEED to finish the Courtyard either. I'm sure I would be able to beat the game before my entire roster gets Crimson Cursed. How about this: I want to have finished the Courtyard.

khGjRpD.jpg
[Holy Lance]
The buggers are quite dodgy, but even though my heroes whiff quite a few of their attacks, I manage to kill both the Gatekeepers that I spawned before they can do their Elusive Exit.

UfZ2mg4.jpg

Speaking of Holy Lance: Arden and Stechkin have a little dance between 2nd and 3rd rank - Stechkin moves forward with [Dirk Stab], which allows Arden to hit the enemies in the back with his Holy Lance, resetting the positions.

I guess in this case, going for the Jester Button would've been the better option though, given that it increases everyone's accuracy...

oIJ2ddH.jpg

cQSvegk.jpg

See? IF only I had finished the battle more quickly!

a4n8LmC.jpg
Oh well. We get the invitation and the second one not too much later.

Uy49Ymz.jpg
But that's all I really have to say about this expedition. Have a picture of Warfarin trying to make two jelly-covered skeletons bleed.

CSrpGHH.jpg

(didn't work. The jelly-covered skeletons only have an 80% Bleed resist for whatever reason, but Warfarin had a bad roll here)

We also find the final page of another journal: The Blackest of Fates. We've seen 1-4 already:

Our purpose was to desecrate their animalistic shrines and thus disperse the swine-folk. But soon we came across an artifact. This was far beyond the crude fetishes crafted by the pig men. It looked as if obsidian had been grown and twisted into a dark symbol of worship. It cradled a pulsing red orb, glowing with malevolent light. Cuthbert, Boleyn and I hesitated, but thrice-damned Mizir, driven by crazed impulse, thrust his torch in a hidden receptacle and thus sealed our fate!

In that same instant we found ourselves in a place of suffocating dark, facing a creature that defies description and whose recollection causes my quill to jump and shudder! It is merciful only fragments of our battle remain in my psyche... I see Cuthbert hacking at the quivering appendages of the monster. I recall how a piece of its flesh sloughed off and of it’s own twisted accord sprang onto Boleyn, piercing her stout plate! The occultist, as if to offer himself as tribute was torn apart by its writhing limbs!

The assault was overwhelming. With Cuthbert slain and as Boleyn fell, I was driven by rage. I leapt and drove my axe into the creature’s many eyes. Purple ichor splashed my face and my very soul shook as it bellowed. The only thing I can recall after was falling swiftly into blackness.

I now find myself back in the warrens, among the remains of my companions. My wounds are too severe to allow the completion of our - my task. Thus the desecration must resume another time. Curious, there is a ring in my pocket. Where it came from, I cannot begin to guess, though it bears the sigil of the estate’s ancestral owner. Very curious.

8IHAgOm.jpg
Good thing we roflstomped the Shambler, or Benice would also have been thrice damned...

xXseTKN.jpg

Things went so well this dungeon (Crimson Curses notwithstanding) that we set up camp after finishing the mission... to heal Nearl and Stechkin for ten-ish points of stress.

I'm very not-salty-at-all, by the way, because that's how the Vestal+Jester combo was supposed to work in the Courtyard. Not Salty at all.

1N6boEk.jpg

And finally, we visit yet another secret room that we've discovered earlier. The Ancestor's Map and its increased scouting chance is really paying dividents.

UQXl1ya.jpg
Not bad.

XfV7B7W.jpg

With that, Warfarin is now tempted by pain, The Blood, and the dark arts. What a pious man he is.

5yk7e0E.jpg
Ooo, this is a nice little event. It only affects Lawrence, but it still elevates him to Lv.6 for free. There's similar events for other classes, too, but I think this is the first one we've seen in this playthrough.

FC4d30t.jpg

GYzIABK.jpg

We've collected enough heirlooms to get not one, but two new districts. First: The Bank. I didn't have time to do the maths because I was busy not calculating the odds of something happening that has already happened, but it's a bit of an additional incentive to keep a bit more money in our pocket.

5% of 25000 is only 1250 gold and rebuilding the bank cost 15k, just to give you an idea of the numbers. I suspect that the Bank is a building that, in an "optimal" campaign, you either get earlier than this or not at all, to be perfectly honest.

ifcLYyl.jpg
We also trade in some Busts for additional Crests (9B --> 6C) to rebuild the Training Ring (5000 gold, 300 Crests). The permanent +10% HP is really nice, especially for the MaA and SB, frontline characters that they are.

a97HLjh.jpg

For our final mission, we will go after the final Veteran-tier boss: The Brigand 12 Pounder (whose first incarnation was only 2/3 as heavy). Our team is actually really, really bad for that boss fight - my thought process was more like, "I want these characters to reach Lv.5 and use them in Champion-level missions" and I completely ignored one rather important detail about this boss. But we'll get to that once we reach it.

(oh, I really don't care about the trinket reward. If a hero stays in the wasting state too long, they instantly die, so this is not something I want to play with)

The ancestor before the first Pounder mission:

Simple folk are by their nature loquacious, and the denizens of the hamlet were no exception. It was not long before rumors of my morbid genius and secretive excavations began to fill local legend. In the face of my increasingly egregious flaunting of public taboos, awe turned to ire, and demonstrations were held in the town square.

Past ping, wide-eyed and trusting: "Oh, I guess the villagers aquired the cannon somehow, in order to siege the manor or something.

The ancester before this mission:

2id5fTw.jpg

Such was the general air of rebellion that even my generous offer of gold to the local constabulary was rebuffed! To reassert my rule, I sought out unscrupulous men skilled in the application of force. Tight-lipped and terrifying, those mercenaries brought with them a war machine of terrible implication.

...oh.

Linguistics with ping: "unscrupulous" in German is "skrupellos", "scrupul-less". Since "scrupulous" isn't very commonly used and it really sounds a lot like its opposite in German, I always have to pause and think for half a second to remember what way the meaning goes.

ve7PKJf.jpg

The smell of sulfur and gunpowder hangs in the air, the war machine is close.

Not that close, actually. We'll have to loop around to the room at the top of the map.

zTaTpMX.jpg

For the regular dungeon exploration, we have a pretty decent team, though.

Depending on the enemies, Benice can either stun and blight, or transform for big raw damage. Pictured: His transformation restoring some HP, but stressing out the other adventurers. They recover half of that at the end of the fight, so it's really not too bad (thanks to Benice wearing the trinket helping with this exact thing). Benice himself accumulates some stress when staying in that form for more than a single turn, too, however.

y02rgfO.jpg

I do find it's worth it quite often, though. The transformed Abom has a lot of power.

8YpaQi3.jpg

On he way to the boss, Nearl opens a coffin to learn about the Weald. As always, I consider dungeon-specific quirks to be nice when they apply, but not really worth locking in - especially since the endgame takes place in its own dungeon.

11HPYKL.jpg

Not too much to say about the dungeon otherwise. We beeline towards the boss, running into a ton of Bloodsuckers on the way.
(note the Chevalier in the background. I hate it with all my hate.)

i4ejh6y.jpg

Since we've already gone through most of the dungeon, I set up camp in the room right before the boss. The goodest girl provides safety and a bit of stress relief, while Benice and Cliffheart boost themselves a little for the upcoming fight.

Honeybadger: "An affectionate nuzzle should put your hearts right."

rAVowdW.jpg
And here we go! Did you guess our party's weakness already?

jV3Yyb2.jpg

It's not Benice - he does what I intended him to do, which is using [Rake] to keep the garden clean, damage the 12 pounder, and also slowly get rid of one of the bandits in the process, so that we'll have fewer enemies to deal with after two or three rounds.

Niut08y.jpg

The problem is the Brigand Fuseman, starting in 3rd rank. I don't have a hero with me that can just one-shot him every turn--

--actually, Benice probably could have, if I wasn't so insistent on my ClEvEr StRaTeGy. The Abom does reach 3rd rank while transformed and should easily deal 12 points of damage. Welp, look at past ping being daft again...

KNZ2zo6.jpg

As is, I keep using two actions just to kill the Fuseman, greatly reducing my damage output against the cannon itself.

Gipqfvj.jpg

This helps, though.

ckMrzCP.jpg

...alright, past ping, you're partially redeemed. The 12 pounder constantly summons a new Fuseman each turn - and he spawns in 4th rank, outside of Benice's reach.

Still bad team comp, though.

LgwHm3a.jpg
Nearl still can reach with [Judgement] - and this is not a good miss.

723oYVA.jpg

Salvageable, because while Cliffheart can't directly reach the Fuseman...

IRGbvBR.jpg

...he can set up a Mark for Honeybadger to abuse. Phew! Makes the damage output against the cannon even worse, though.

aUcjMfT.jpg

Xj4uKJG.jpg

Third turn goes just like the second one, except Nearl heals instead of trying to damage the Fuseman. While that was a nice dodge, the other bandits do have some damage output of their own.

Fourth turn goes just like the third one,

q5xKebx.jpg

Except this. Well, fuck.

8xu4kkp.jpg

Mortality clarified in a single strike!

And well fuck, again.

vdgWGm0.jpg

WELL HOW NICE I CAN SHOW THE BOSS' GIMMICK AFTER ALL. HOORAY!! YAY!!!

If the Fuseman survives to the end of the turn (he has -19 Spd, so he always acts last), he uses [Fire in the Hole!] on the cannon...

QankygS.jpg

...which then uses BOOOOOOOM!. Which deals a fuckton of damage.

fSxQKTc.jpg

Which means that those three dodges were really, really clutch - but there's still Cliffheart going to Death's Door.

(forgot to make a screenshot at a more proper time. Oops)

9vIMOiF.jpg

Luckily, Nearl goes before any of the bandits, so no deathblows for him. For now.

7Miw38v.jpg

The mark on the Fuseman is still in effect, so Cliffheart can put a few points of extra damage on the Cannon this turn - it'll never summon a second Fuseman on the field - and Honeybadger can still easily one-shot the marked fuseman. Thank god for not another miss here.

UXPiyNg.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! Benice has been Raking the entire lawn, building up that crescendo effect, so at this point, he basically deals full damage against two targets.

(reminder that the 12 pounder has 20% Prot AND a perma-buff for another 25% damage reduction, so 14 Dmg is quite a lot here)

5DRjR0A.jpg

OH COME ON

meeEwIw.jpg

Nearl tries an emergency Stun - there's only three enemies on the field, so she can reach.

qJDl8Uy.jpg

BUT GUESS WHAT DOESN'T WORK

(to be fair, she's wearing the all-out healing trinket set, which also includes a lowered Stun chance)

6rbgfAn.jpg

BUT GUESS WHAT ALSO DOESN'T WORK

Well, I'm legitimately glad that I can show this part of the boss' gimmick, too! According to the wiki, the chance of a MISFIRE! is 35/30/25% for the 1st/2nd/3rd version of the boss.

z1AINpR.jpg

It still does the same attack animation, except with everyone dodging...

v73e91C.jpg

...and then actually heals the entire party for 10 points of stress.

k69HNaS.jpg

This turn, no reinforcements appear (another lucky break), so Honeybadger puts a mark on the Cannon - unfortunately, it's immune to the added -Prot effect of [Target Whistle], but since the Cannon only has one action per round, it's still quite likely that this will pay off.

z8GXmYt.jpg

Not this turn though, since Cliffheart needs to kill the Fuseman instead of attacking the Cannon.

BoK3fGO.jpg

Next turn starts beautifully: The Fuseman reinforcement spawned in 2nd rank (with a Fuselier in 3rd), so Benice's Rake immediately makes this turn safe.

pp7FiTk.jpg

And after Honeybadger doing the last bit of chip damage, Cliffheart puts an end to the fight. That was more dangerous than it needed to be!

j51xTQe.jpg

I immediately leave, since all inventory slots are filled with treasure after the fight - it's not too much money despite that because I also picked up a couple (not too impressive) trinkets and the Blueprint that all bosses drop. 15 deeds take three inventory slots, as well.

fj3p9r6.jpg

Not a mistake - Bulemic and Spasm of the Entrails do have the same effect. Not a lot to say otherwise - I'll heal the diseases because it feels wrong otherwise (also, bulimia is not a laughing matter!); Known Cheat is great because it's a negative quirk with practically no effect.

mqofBGv.jpg

Well, I hate to admit it, but I do need another adventurer. Specically...

B77dj8a.jpg

...a fourth Vestal. A propos of nothing, can you guess how many segments the Darkest Dungeon has?

Talvace (I don't think there's any Vestal names pending) has three absolutely awful quirks, so she'll need three weeks before she can start adventuring, but at least she will have very nice Quick Reflexes (+2 Spd).

jAKxWmJ.jpg

Which, of course, she immediately locks in. She's costing a bit of an initial investment, but she's Lv.2 already with equipment and skills leveled up as well, which more than makes up for that.

So that's that! Some progress and one big fucking setback. I hope we can do without the latter in the next update.

Thanks everyone for reading!

Spoiler

Sorry about slow replies! I am a professional procrastinator by trade, so I always miss out-I would like to point out, however, that I am still reading, and thoroughly enjoying myself, I just forget to comment.

On 8/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, ping said:

U6XPVUn.png

Yooo! Dismas has Dismastered combat!

On 8/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, ping said:

Shuffling Horror" might look like it's English, but it's actually ancient Phoenician for "Do not bring your Leper OR your Arbalest". The "ffl" is silent and it's pronounced more like "Shoongorr", or maybe "Shoongoch" ("ch" as in Loch Ness).

Ah, I see, I see! Works well thematically with Benice, which translates to "Best Abom" from Phoenician.

Once again, the stars are right, and the Manor sits at the very epicenter of cosmic unrest. Cultists rally to their twisted idols, and great gongs sound in anticipation of the coming sacrifices. Far below, life-laden shadows pulse to the unrelenting rhythm of a beating heart...

Mmm! That makes me HUNGRY!

Here we are - the final dungeon. Not the final mission and we're not going to be locked into it - no worries, we are going to clear the Courtyard and the regular bosses before this LP is over.

Oh, phew! This LP has been a really good time. Have you any plans to do any more after this?

tmjyeJZ.jpg
...and continues with a lone Cultist Priest. And while this may seem rather ominous...

Kinda reminds me of the first Cantor you see in FE2.

nNGXhWX.jpg

...this is actually just another introductionary fight.

If only the first Cantor encounter went this smoothly...

Also, tentacles? Wait what?!

JOUxyBe.jpg

MMM! THAT MAKES ME HUNRY!

Heroes who have been to the Darkest Dungeon will refuse to go in a second time

Ever?! Wow!  Dismasterful career is near its end, I guess.

25 minutes ago, ping said:

YOU DID A GOOD THING! BUT REMEMBER, BAD THINGS WILL FOLLOW!

What goes up must come down! Unless it's the amount of deaths when I play FE. That never goes down.

26 minutes ago, ping said:

Given that the Ancestor has been at fault for literally everything bad we've encountered thus far

Hey now, he's not responsible for the Leper class line!

29 minutes ago, ping said:

8YXbMpM.jpg
Right away, the Flesh transforms into two Hearts and two Butts.

MMMM! THAT MAKES ME HUN-Okay no even I have my limits.

30 minutes ago, ping said:

Both butts poop an [Undulating Invasion] at Stechkin, who dodges the first but not the second one.

MMMM! THAT

31 minutes ago, ping said:

Undulating Invasion

The name is not helping matters.

34 minutes ago, ping said:

The feasting and revelry would last for weeks at a time. Great stone tables were set with such an abundance of rare delicacies that we would stuff ourselves until the exotic became mundane. When the lavish spread began to spoil, a ravenous gourmand gleefully proposed that we sample from the fetid pile of composting refuse ! The notion was dismissed as decidedly unhealthy. But days later, he was found cackling madly atop a heap of rancid comestibles, licking his fingers in delight

MMM! I NEED A LARGER FONT SIZE FOR THIS JOKE!

37 minutes ago, ping said:

WDgd7Eq.jpg

...which works unless an attack hits both of them at the same time. Well what are the fucking odds.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

38 minutes ago, ping said:

Actually, what ARE the odds? I hate to be the BULLSHIT RNG guy, but honestly?

• The Chevalier had a 14% chance to crit, and while I don't have a screenshot with Saiga's exact HP, I'm certain that the normal damage range (10-16) couldn't have killed her.
  • Actually, I think she was as exactly 22 HP - she healed herself to 38 HP near the end of the last fight, and the Blight would've dealt 4 Dmg four times after the battle.
  • The Chevalier has two abilities, so since there's nothing that suggests otherwise, I'll assume that it has a 50% chance to use Buried Blast.
  • Which hits two random targets. There's six possible pairs in a group of four, so it's a 16.7% chance for that pair to be Lawrence and Saiga.
  • But before that: Saiga has a higher Spd stat than the Chevalier (6 vs. 2), so he'd have to roll higher by four on a D8 to speed-tie her (1-5, 2-6, 3-7, 4-8 --- so 4 in 64, or 1/16, or 6.25%) or more than that to outspeed her (1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 2-7, 2-8, 3-8 --- so 6 in 64, or 3/32, or 9.375%)
  • If we assume that a speed tie is decided by a coinflip, that makes a total chance of 1/8, or 12.5%, for Saiga to lose the initiative roll.
  • The chance to fail a death saving throw is 33%.
  • Actually, we would need to consider the odds of Lawrence ´being in a certain spot in the turn order
  • Don't forget that Saiga had to roll against death once anyway - and a second time if she had survived this one.

Now we will never get the joy or TearRing Saiga or Berwick Saiga! Or Vestaria Saiga for that matter!

39 minutes ago, ping said:

As homework, calculate how different ways to resolve a speed tie will change the odds.

If player=Ping, odds of success=0.076%

41 minutes ago, ping said:

dgEuDra.jpg
Speaking of worried, can you spot what's wrong on this picture? (Hint: It's nothing. Everything is fiiiiiiiiine)

Deepcolor? More like Offcolor. Or offputting.

41 minutes ago, ping said:

oEydn1d.jpg

Or this one?

SMH, the fanservice in this game disgusts me.

43 minutes ago, ping said:

See? IF only I had finished the battle more quickly!

Two vestals left...?

45 minutes ago, ping said:

Good thing we roflstomped the Shambler, or Benice would also have been thrice damned...

IT WASN'T ON PURPOSE GOLB89 TOLD ME TO DO IT

48 minutes ago, ping said:

my thought process was more like, "I want these characters to reach Lv.5 and use them in Champion-level missions" and I completely ignored one rather important detail about this boss. But we'll get to that once we reach it.

It's okay, Benice will carry the team!

49 minutes ago, ping said:

Linguistics with ping: "unscrupulous" in German is "skrupellos", "scrupul-less". Since "scrupulous" isn't very commonly used and it really sounds a lot like its opposite in German, I always have to pause and think for half a second to remember what way the meaning goes.

I love it when english ruins stuff.

50 minutes ago, ping said:

It's not Benice - he does what I intended him to do, which is using [Rake] to keep the garden clean, damage the 12 pounder, and also slowly get rid of one of the bandits in the process, so that we'll have fewer enemies to deal with after two or three rounds.

Ha! Top-tier! Move over, Seth!

54 minutes ago, ping said:

A propos of nothing, can you guess how many segments the Darkest Dungeon has?

Uh..Oh geez...Um...Two?

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Sorry about slow replies! I am a professional procrastinator by trade, so I always miss out-I would like to point out, however, that I am still reading, and thoroughly enjoying myself, I just forget to comment.

No worries, I know that problem. ;):

Oh, phew! This LP has been a really good time. Have you any plans to do any more after this?

I've been thinking about that, yeah. Couple ideas I've been toying with:

mardek.jpg.17b8d3bf7c7a67fe530060cbf7db2a57.jpg

• MARDEK, which is a old Flash game series from... *googles* ...2007-2010. Dang, I'm old. It's an unfinished work, three games when out of what were initially planned to be eight, but I remember enjoying it a lot (and actually 100%ing the third game, which was quite the time sink) back in the day. The dev has put the game on Steam just a couple weeks ago and I was planning to get it at some point anyway. The game itself plays very similar to the classic Final Fantasy games (I'm thinking 7-10 here).
  • A run of either PoR(HM) or HNM where I'm forced to always deploy the lowest-leveled team possible (apart from characters needed to recruit someone). Can't have the pre-promotes running around stealing all the XP here.
  • Final Fantasy VII I would legit love to do that, but I'm not sure if one lifetime is enough to finish a halfway completionist LP of that game.
  • I was considering Europa Universalis 4 - playing a nation with an achievement that isn't too time-sensitive so that people could weigh in on some decisions or ask for side objectives. Would also be extremely time-consuming, though, and with a very bad updates-per-playtime ratio.
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky - haven't played this in AGES. I probably don't want to go all the way back to the Rescue Rangers games, since I remember there being a lot of QOL improvements between those two.

SMH, the fanservice in this game disgusts me.

I know right? If only they would restrict themselves to boob windows and battle panties.

I love it when english ruins stuff.

To be fair this one's mostly just different languages with similar final syllables meaning very different things. But English is very good at ruining stuff - I still wait for a sensible explaination why "tear" and "tear" or "read" and "read" are pronounced differently from each other respectively.

If player=Ping, odds of success=0.076%

Excellent work, A+, course passed.

(Very solid pun game, by the way. I didn't see the Saiga pun initially, much to my confusion, and was FURIOUS when I did notice. GGWP)

Spoiler

3 hours ago, ping said:
  • MARDEK, which is a old Flash game series from... *googles* ...2007-2010. Dang, I'm old. It's an unfinished work, three games when out of what were initially planned to be eight, but I remember enjoying it a lot (and actually 100%ing the third game, which was quite the time sink) back in the day. The dev has put the game on Steam just a couple weeks ago and I was planning to get it at some point anyway. The game itself plays very similar to the classic Final Fantasy games (I'm thinking 7-10 here).
  • A run of either PoR(HM) or HNM where I'm forced to always deploy the lowest-leveled team possible (apart from characters needed to recruit someone). Can't have the pre-promotes running around stealing all the XP here.
  • Final Fantasy VII I would legit love to do that, but I'm not sure if one lifetime is enough to finish a halfway completionist LP of that game.
  • I was considering Europa Universalis 4 - playing a nation with an achievement that isn't too time-sensitive so that people could weigh in on some decisions or ask for side objectives. Would also be extremely time-consuming, though, and with a very bad updates-per-playtime ratio.
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky - haven't played this in AGES. I probably don't want to go all the way back to the Rescue Rangers games, since I remember there being a lot of QOL improvements between those two.

Oh, nice! If you're thinking of a strategy game, I'd also recommend Berwick Saga-I sometimes call it an FE game, but it's certainly a depart in many ways from a regular FE game, (The way turns work,: There is only one phase, and both players, enemies and green units all move on it-the order in which you move is determined by what the player-enemy ratio is.) It's a really fun, but difficult challenge! (It's especially difficult at first, both because a lot of the Sinon knights are really bad, and the mechanics take some getting used to.)

3 hours ago, ping said:

Very solid pun game, by the way. I didn't see the Saiga pun initially, much to my confusion, and was FURIOUS when I did notice. GGWP

Woohoo! Certified good puns!

benice.png.3dc1618f82f5d3bb5e2e424d8d47dde0.png

Anything you want to tell us, @Benice?

(played through three missions the last couple days; update might still take a day or three since they were all quite long)

3 minutes ago, ping said:

benice.png.3dc1618f82f5d3bb5e2e424d8d47dde0.png

Anything you want to tell us, @Benice?

Eehehehehehehehheh...It's...Been a long day... Heh...Heh...

5 minutes ago, ping said:

(played through three missions the last couple days; update might still take a day or three since they were all quite long)

No sweat; your pace is certainly much better than mine.

• 1 month later...

Next update will come eventually. I'm suffering from the problem that after a week or two, it gets increasingly difficult to remember what exactly happened, despite me making a LOT of screenshots while playing (usually about 1000 per update, from which ~100 are actually used), which makes the whole writing process slower and less fun, which means things get delayed even further, which means that the whole writing process....... Fellow procrastinaters know what I'm talking about.

For reference, last picture I've picked for use was #354 (excempt below) out of 1250.

dd_ouch.png.ae4d88690a37cb5eae9ed355e1dbbcba.png

Apologies to those who are following the thread and probably disappointed that this isn't an actual update. ;):

2 minutes ago, ping said:

ext update will come eventually

Okay! Take your time, we'll be here when you're ready.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:07 PM, ping said:

Next update will come eventually.

Wait, didn't the LP end? I could swear i noticed a pic while the page was still loading (and thus the spoilers were "unspoilered") showing an achievement for beating the final dungeon...

... which means you can take another name suggestion for the next Highwayman:

EjN8ofEXkAAbDAs.jpg

ArtAbsintheS1GIF.gifArtAbsintheS2GIF.gif

https://gamepress.gg/arknights/operator/absinthe

Maybe.

(Also, for some reason i didn't receive any notification of replies after my last post, even though i know i used to before...)

Edited by Golb89