What are your favorite references in Cipher?

AllStarKnight

Cipher truly is a love letter to the Fire Emblem series, packed full of references to even minor aspects of the games. Some of these references are obvious, but others are more subtle or obscure enough to not be caught at first glance. And as someone who hasn't played all the games (fingers crossed for more remakes), Cipher always has more for me to learn about.

What sparked this topic is that I recently learned that within its realm of obscure references, Cipher actually made reference to weapons that are apparently localization-only in Radiant Dawn, thus ones that its Japanese audience would not have even encountered. The first reference was in B05 with R Edward's Caladbolg skill, and then they followed it up all these years later in B20 with HN Leonardo's Lughnasadh skill.

I couldn't help but find it extremely cool that they'd make references outside of the original material and one that would be more recognizable to their Western audience, despite the card game itself not being localized. Just another reminder how one of the things I'll miss most about Cipher is how it manages to fit in so much personality and fun little details like this in the card skills.

So, out of the many references in Cipher, what are some that are your favorites or that you think are really cool to be included?

I still dont know much about Cipher. Really interest in it though. Do u have a link or video to make it easy to understand for new comers ?

Edited by Hong Nhi

I don't know many of them, this is about the only one. But it's that one where Asaello (the FE4 Substitute) enters a village where everyone is scared of him but a little girl just meets him casually. And it actually happens in-game.

It's this one:

Asaello (Cipher) - EmblemWiki

40 minutes ago, Hong Nhi said:

I still dont know much about Cipher. Really interest in it though. Do u have a link or video to make it easy to understand for new comers ?

Oh, welcome! Well, this topic is for Cipher references, but here's a topic for what you're looking for: https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/53219-fire-emblem-cipher-rules-and-qa/

Feel free to look through, and ask any questions over there! Also, if you'd prefer a video for info, I do happen to know a good one for beginners that I used while starting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqnI0U0yfU

28 minutes ago, This boi uses Nino said:

I don't know many of them, this is about the only one. But it's that one where Asaello (the FE4 Substitute) enters a village where everyone is scared of him but a little girl just meets him casually. And it actually happens in-game.

It's this one:

That's a good one! I'm not as familiar with those games, and it's fun to know the context behind such a cute card. I like how they show these full grown villagers running scared in the background but turns out she's completely unfazed, haha.

40 minutes ago, AllStarKnight said:

Oh, welcome! Well, this topic is for Cipher references, but here's a topic for what you're looking for: https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/53219-fire-emblem-cipher-rules-and-qa/

Feel free to look through, and ask any questions over there! Also, if you'd prefer a video for info, I do happen to know a good one for beginners that I used while starting out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmqnI0U0yfU

That's a good one! I'm not as familiar with those games, and it's fun to know the context behind such a cute card. I like how they show these full grown villagers running scared in the background but turns out she's completely unfazed, haha.

Wow wow wow. That's definitely a good help !! thank you ^^

Recently I(me? not sure use "I" or "me" here) and my 3 friends try to create a paper strategy game (2 vs 2). That use dices, cards ( would add more things to make the game more complicated and fun ). 

So have more ideas about FE:Cipher would help a lot . Thanks again 🙂

I want to make a post to ask others about idea to make that game. Or link me the names of some games to make me have more ideas. Not sure where in this forum to post in

I know, sound like a bunch of weaboos, otakus 😉 . but nah ! I don't know.

7f032296b041fe7e1aef92735c919e61.thumb.jpg.ff6fefc97d25842fedd7c742eeaaab92.jpg

Also I like this Donnel pic from Cipher. Donnel appear at villager class. But he can promote to fighter and mercenary class. This is the only pic that show his final class (Hero), other pics just show his villager class. So I think Hero is his canon class. Still wear a pot though :))))))))

Edited by Hong Nhi

13 minutes ago, Hong Nhi said:

Wow wow wow. That's definitely a good help !! thank you ^^

Recently I(me? not sure use "I" or "me" here) and my 3 friends try to create a paper strategy game (2 vs 2). That use dices, cards ( would add more things to make the game more complicated and fun ). 

So have more ideas about FE:Cipher would help a lot . Thanks again 🙂

I want to make a post to ask others about idea to make that game. Or link me the names of some games to make me have more ideas

I know, sound like a bunch of weaboos, otakus 😉 . but nah ! I don't know.

7f032296b041fe7e1aef92735c919e61.thumb.jpg.ff6fefc97d25842fedd7c742eeaaab92.jpg

Also I like this Donnel pic from Cipher. Donnel appear at villager class. But he can promote to fighter and mercenary class. This is the only pic that show his final class (Hero), other pics just show his villager class. So I think Hero is his canon class. Still wear a pot though :))))))))

Donnel's super fun to play in Cipher, too - at the start of every turn he mills 1, 2, or 3 cards off your deck, depending on which version you have deployed, and the final version(the one you have pictured) gains 10 ATK for every Donnel in the discard during your turn. He's super janky and high-risk, but loads of fun.

- Wow Fireflies - (Owl City) is my favourite song too.  The melody, his voice is really amazing ! Also, nice video , it is very cute 🙂 is that ur channel Clay Kramer ?

16 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Donnel's super fun to play in Cipher, too - at the start of every turn he mills 1, 2, or 3 cards off your deck, depending on which version you have deployed, and the final version(the one you have pictured) gains 10 ATK for every Donnel in the discard during your turn. He's super janky and high-risk, but loads of fun.

Sound very interesting !!! But I dont have a deck though T_T . Hope this game would become a online duel game. 🙂 Look great

Edited by Hong Nhi

29 minutes ago, Hong Nhi said:

- Wow Fireflies - (Owl City) is my favourite song too.  The melody, his voice is really amazing ! Also, nice video , it is very cute 🙂 is that ur channel Clay Kramer ?

Sound very interesting !!! But I dont have a deck though T_T . Hope this game would become a online duel game. 🙂 Look great

Lol nah, I just found it and really like it. Don't have a YouTube channel.

Donnel was Set 4, he's tricky to find now even if you had a deck.

Sharlow's card with him wielding his starting staff, the Berserk Staff, will never not be funny to me.

latest?cb=20181213051211

1 hour ago, Hong Nhi said:

Hope this game would become a online duel game.

It actually is, or well not really. But there is a fan-made engine to play online. If I remember correctly.

3 hours ago, This boi uses Nino said:

It actually is, or well not really. But there is a fan-made engine to play online. If I remember correctly.

Awesome 🙂 I found it too