Paper Mario returns

So look what Nintendo just stealth dropped on us, a trailer for a brand new Paper Mario game! The trailer itself looks fairly neat with some nice twists on the usual Mario formula. However it also doesn't look like the game is going to distance itself from the sticker Star formula like most people want. 

There's an archaeologist Toad which might imply that non generic NPC's are back but there is also a Bob-omb we can see at Mario's side multiple times that's just a normal Bob-Omb. We also don't get a view at the combat system which is something to be suspicious of. The story seems to be a team up between (a mutated) Bowser and Mario which I'm always a fan of. We also see Junior and possibly Kamek having a role, perhaps as NPC's or as party members. 

So far I see a lot to like and some bits that I like a little less. It should be interesting to see how the game develops. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Not really sure how to feel about this. They must know fans want the old formula back.

Yeah this was my reaction too.  With Color Splash I could at least think, "well, they started too soon after Sticker Star's release to see the backlash and by the time people's reactions to Sticker Star were well noted they were too far along to completely change gears, or something"

That... doesn't really fly anymore, so all I can do is blink slowly in confusion over what they might be thinking.

Well, I'd say its too soon to say for sure that its really Sticker Star 3. I think its more likely then the alternative but we haven't yet seen the combat and Bowser does seem to be a partner so Mario isn't fighting on his own anymore. That's got to change something compared to Sticker Star 

8 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Yeah this was my reaction too.  With Color Splash I could at least think, "well, they started too soon after Sticker Star's release to see the backlash and by the time people's reactions to Sticker Star were well noted they were too far along to completely change gears, or something"

That... doesn't really fly anymore, so all I can do is blink slowly in confusion over what they might be thinking.

I get the feeling that some big executive is to blame for this. People blame Miyamoto but I don’t he involves himself that much. Maybe is a new director?

3 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Well, I'd say its too soon to say for sure that its really Sticker Star 3. I think its more likely then the alternative but we haven't yet seen the combat and Bowser does seem to be a partner so Mario isn't fighting on his own anymore. That's got to change something compared to Sticker Star 

Actually it seems Mario is still fighting alone.

I think your thread title should include the game title, it's unexciting as is. Just saying.

But OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH YES! I thought Paper Mario was dead! I'd lost hope that a new one would ever come out since people hate the series now due to Sticker Star's backlash. They wouldn't even give Color Splash a chance even though it was definitely a big improvement. I didn't play Sticker Star personally, but a lot of reviews and videos describe Color Splash as "Sticker Star done right" so to speak. And I personally thought it was a great game. Not as good as Super Paper Mario or TTYD, but still great.

I just hope this game's story is at least deep like the stories of those two were. Super Paper Mario is tough to match though, it has the greatest video game story of all time imo, aside from the FE Tellius games.

45 minutes ago, UNLEASH IT said:

So this is why 3H was unfinished despite them outsourcing most of it to KT

How exactly is TH unfinished? The game is amazing. I think it's only big flaw is too much map recycling.

13 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

How exactly is TH unfinished? The game is amazing. I think it's only big flaw is too much map recycling.

There are some things that indicate that at some point time and budget ran out. The Death Knight for instance very clearly wasn't finished in the original release. There's also Verdant Wind and Silver Snow being overly familiar and some NPC's like Annette's uncle not even having a portrait. 

This was an unexpected announcement, but a welcome one. I haven't played a Paper Mario game since Super on the Wii. I'll give this a shot, I enjoyed the first three Paper Mario games; I would prefer normal Bowser and not some folded up thing, though.

I am mildly disappointed that this was what IS was working on, though. I had hoped for something for FE's anniversary, or that long-rumored FE4/6 remake. But, eh, this is fine and I will check it out.

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

There are some things that indicate that at some point time and budget ran out. The Death Knight for instance very clearly wasn't finished in the original release. There's also Verdant Wind and Silver Snow being overly familiar and some NPC's like Annette's uncle not even having a portrait. 

Again, how so? You have to be more specific. Why is DK unfinished? And recycling NPC portraits and maps is that one big flaw I just mentioned. Otherwise, the games are very well done and polished imo.

@Fire Emblem Fan You don't seem to know what origami is, do you? The game is titled The Origami King for a reason, and that's why some characters are folded up like that. Origami is a Japanese paper-folding art. It's basically folding paper into shapes that look like animals or other things. It fits perfectly in the Paper Mario universe and there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Again, how so? You have to be more specific. Why is DK unfinished? And recycling NPC portraits and maps is that one big flaw I just mentioned. Otherwise, the games are very well done and polished imo.

Because at the time we had no idea why he even supported Edelgard, how he got so powerful and after the timeskip he just completely disapeared in Crimson Flower. But any more on that would like be off topic. 

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Because at the time we had no idea why he even supported Edelgard, how he got so powerful and after the timeskip he just completely disapeared in Crimson Flower. But any more on that would like be off topic. 

True, I do wish we'd learned more about him, but at least we did when some updates and DLC came out, right? That's better than nothing.

But yeah, this is off topic.

Unlike a lot of PM fans, I don't care so much about partner characters as I do story and gameplay, but it is interesting to see that they're coming back. Yes, they are coming back, as an image said Mario is teaming up with some "extraordinary companions" and all.

I think the partners might not be so extraordinary. We know a simply bob-omb and not a bob-omb with an awesome captain hat and mustache is one of the partners. It seems highly likely that Bowser Jr and Kamek will also be partners which would be kinda neat. The Toad in an archaeologist outfit could be a Toad that switches his outfit with each chapter since we see him without an archaeology suit on the official website. 

Although I skipped Color Splash and wasn't very fond of Sticker Star, I remain cautiously hopeful Origami King turns out well.

More papercraftiness is cute, but eventually you're gonna run out of that IS. Whatcha gonna do after that? Go back to Color Splash but run amok with different painting mediums like watercolor, ink, gouache, pastels, conte crayon, tempura, mixed media, and methods like woodcut and collage?

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Actually it seems Mario is still fighting alone.

This seems to be very early on in the game where Mario would be fighting solo. So it's still too early to tell but all the promotional material is pointing towards partners returning.

Yeah, I think I'll wait for the reviews for this one. I'm not forking over $60 until I know exactly what I'm getting into with this Paper Mario (assuming I even want to get it at all). The betrayal Sticker Star inflicted on me won't heal so easily.

Though, the fact that they even chose to shadow drop this trailer (in addition to said trailer having almost no combat gameplay) makes me feel like that they don't have very much confidence in this game so that bodes well.

Color me... cautiously optimistic. I actually wasn't as hard against Sticker Star as I know others can be, and I actually thought that Color Splash was only slightly below 64 in terms of quality, but, again, I would really prefer the classic Paper Mario style over more Sticker Star-likes.

Though the gameplay we do see gives me hope, considering that we don't see anything like the stickers/cards that you need to collect to actually attack anything.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

@Anacybele I'm very aware of what origami is. I didn't say I was against it in Paper Mario, or that there was anything wrong with it. I was specifically talking about Bowser.

20200514_123126.jpg

Oh okay then. My mistake, that's fine.

I'm personally super excited for this game because I loved Color Splash. Though that WAS due in part to the coloring theme, I admit. But I still enjoy Paper Mario in general too and origami is still neat as well!

Maybe next time the theme can be paper mache! That's a pretty cool paper craft too.

Edited by Anacybele

Gotta say, I dig the horror aesthetic in the trailer. But that's the nicest thing I have to say right now. My friend and I were swapping fun memories of the original just last night so we're a bit...distraught/defeated at the moment.

I don't know what the problems were with Sticker Star or Color Splash. I'm kind of excited to see paper mario again, now that i have the console to play it. Last time i played it was back in GC era and i skipped the wii era because of how different Paper Mario Wii was. I don't hope for much, but at least the trailer makes the plot seem wacky enough.

2 hours ago, Zanarkin said:

i skipped the wii era because of how different Paper Mario Wii was.

What a shame. You skipped a fantastic game with one of the greatest stories I've ever seen in a video game. So what if it didn't have turn-based battling? That doesn't mean it was bad or that the gameplay wasn't good. And for once, you got to play as characters other than Mario too, which I appreciated. They each had different abilities that you would have to utilize too.

At a couple of points, the story got dark too. Darker than I've ever seen in a Mario game.

Different =/= bad.

Edited by Anacybele

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

What a shame. You skipped a fantastic game with one of the greatest stories I've ever seen in a video game. So what if it didn't have turn-based battling? That doesn't mean it was bad or that the gameplay wasn't good. And for once, you got to play as characters other than Mario too, which I appreciated. They each had different abilities that you would have to utilize too.

At a couple of points, the story got dark too. Darker than I've ever seen in a Mario game.

Different =/= bad.

Fair enough but at the time i didn't have disposable income. Since the amount of games i'd get in any given year back were limited i had to decide which games to get. Super Paper Mario wasn't one of them.