Paper Mario returns

Eh, I haven't seen anything too promising yet though I'm willing to reserve judgement until I see more of the game and what reviews say of it. Even then I'm not sure I want to pay $60 for it since Trails of Cold Steel 3 is just around the corner for a Switch release and will provide my RPG needs for several months. Even the 51 Clubhouse Games is a more interesting game to me at the moment than a Paper Mario game that may or may not be good.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall not being overly impressed with the gameplay of Super Paper Mario but I do have a big soft spot for the game. The dark and fairly mellowdramatic story is completely at odds with a Mario game but I always considered that part of the charm. It just goes to show that Mario works with everything. 

And its got the best Mario rpg villain of all time. 

Dimentio - Super Mario Wiki, the Mario encyclopedia

32 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I recall not being overly impressed with the gameplay of Super Paper Mario but I do have a big soft spot for the game. The dark and fairly mellowdramatic story is completely at odds with a Mario game but I always considered that part of the charm. It just goes to show that Mario works with everything. 

And its got the best Mario rpg villain of all time. 

Dimentio - Super Mario Wiki, the Mario encyclopedia

Dimentio is probably neck and neck with Fawful as my favorite Mario RPG villain. I'd honestly love to see him come back.

2 hours ago, Zanarkin said:

Fair enough but at the time i didn't have disposable income. Since the amount of games i'd get in any given year back were limited i had to decide which games to get. Super Paper Mario wasn't one of them.

Ah, I see. I've had to make a choice sometimes too, so I get that.

Oh yeah, Dimentio was pretty great!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh Paper Mario. One step forward and two steps back. 

Partners return with one even being the Kamek. More personality
But the bosses are random office supplies such as duct tape, a string of paper bands and a bunch of pencils. Less personality. Far less personality.

Its really a shame because bosses are often a highlight when it comes to showing personality. Whether its having a Spanish ghost pirate in TTYD, a weird Pixel Spider in Super or even the far more conventional Koopalings getting fitting gimmicks like a chariot pulled by Chain Chomps or flaming hammers. Bosses could so easily be a highlight and it seems that Origami King very willingly abandons that highlight, despite removing personality from Paper Mario being a sore spot for a large part of the fanbase. 

I like the bosses personally. I think it's pretty creative how they make things like pencils and tape bosses, fits the theme very well and I'm here for it.

oof, i honestly lost a lot of hype after watching this new trailer. It might work fine, but it definitely won't be a first day buy for me. I think I'll just wait and see. That and I think i will get bug fables instead

The bosses felt kinda disappointing, but I'd like to see more about them. Idk, maybe they work in game some how.

Edited by Zanarkin

I've never played through sticker star or color splash so can't say I 100% understand what's wrong with them but I knew enough about them to decide they weren't my cup of tea.

All I ask from this new one is that partners and exp system come back. Maybe also get rid of the sticker/card battle system in favor of a more traditional one. Partners are back so that's one thing at least. A bit sad to see how generic they are, although I can definitely look past that if Bowser is one because I'll take any chances of using him as a playable character.

In a vacuum I don't hate the bosses. Like it'd be pretty interesting if they were contained to just one office themed world. Kinda like a counterpart to shy guys toybox from PM64. But knowing that they are "the" big bosses that we'll be fighting at the end of each chapter (maybe even the "only" bosses) definitely sours my opinion of them. Could've done so much more with the origami theme like an origami boss that shapeshifts between multiple animals like from a crane to a tiger to a dragon. Or a ninja using origami shurikens and whatnot.

The bosses are strange. But I won't say they're awful until I actually play the battles. Because for all I know, a battle against a pencil case or roll of tape could be fun. lol

Luigi's apparent role makes me hope we can play as him between certain segments of the game like we could with Peach in TTYD. He's looking for keys to the castle.

Edited by Anacybele

On 5/14/2020 at 5:36 PM, NSSKG151 said:

Even the 51 Clubhouse Games is a more interesting game to me at the moment than a Paper Mario game that may or may not be good.

If you got the clubhouse 51 game, we could PM friend codes and play together.  I got it and it is loads of fun

As for this topic, I have to say I don't think I'll be picking up this title. $60 is too much and the bosses were disappointing.  Maybe after it comes out and I can see some game play then I'll change my mind but I'm not too sure I'll be getting it. I wanna see more about the partners and if they have the level system

Edited by Tediz64

I read a very interesting comment on why Nintendo continues to make "unwanted" Paper Mario games.

The reason is that not only people who complain about the good old gamecube buy Mario games.

The reason is that Nintendo likes to innovate. It's a major strength and sometimes a weakness. I think there are statements on record that the company doesn't like to go ahead with projects that don't explore new gameplay mechanics. The first two Paper Mario games are the greatest examples of traditional turn-based JRPGs ever made, but they are also traditional turn-based JRPGs and have already been made. The JRPG is a stagnant genre, so making another Paper Mario game like the first one would satisfy fans (temporarily if it didn't disappoint them) but contradict the company's characteristic direction.

Anyway. I like the sliding wheel idea. Sounds fun, hopefully it gives you formations that require some quick creative thinking to "solve". I like spacial reasoning puzzles.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The reason is that Nintendo likes to innovate. It's a major strength and sometimes a weakness.

Yes. Im sure that's why they keep making NSMB rehashes for every system since it's initial release on DS 😒

Honestly, it just seems like it's arrogance. Rather than admit they messed up they chose to double down on their decisions make Color Splash a Sticker Star 2 which is anything but innovative.

Innovative was Super Paper Mario. It changed the formula from an RPG with platforming elements to a 2d/3d platformer (which in and of itself is already plenty innovative) with RPG elements. But despite the drastic change it still managed to keep all the charm from the previous games by still having a wide cast of original characters, a plot on par with (maybe better than) previous games, partners (idk why this was even lacking SS and CS. Having a party is a basic in any RPG), varied boss battles (unlike SS which require you to have a specific sticker or spend an hour fighting before realizing it was a waste of time because you ran out of stickers. Don't know if CS had the same problem), etc.

I mean it's different so it understandably wasn't for everyone but you can't fault it for lack of effort unlike SS and CS which weren't just different. They reeked of laziness and bad decisions. Having Bowser with 0 lines and Peach with a whopping 2 lines for dialogue is just embarrassing. Even the mainline games give them more and im sure no one has played Mario 64 or Sunshine for its writing. Really holding out hope that TOK is at least an improvement from those two.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I read a very interesting comment on why Nintendo continues to make "unwanted" Paper Mario games.

The reason is that not only people who complain about the good old gamecube buy Mario games.

The reason is that Nintendo likes to innovate. It's a major strength and sometimes a weakness. I think there are statements on record that the company doesn't like to go ahead with projects that don't explore new gameplay mechanics. The first two Paper Mario games are the greatest examples of traditional turn-based JRPGs ever made, but they are also traditional turn-based JRPGs and have already been made. The JRPG is a stagnant genre, so making another Paper Mario game like the first one would satisfy fans (temporarily if it didn't disappoint them) but contradict the company's characteristic direction.

To most critics of the new style the reverse seems to be true. Their problem isn't that Paper Mario is innovating but that's it in fact stagnating. Sticker Star was notably more generic, sticking to the same old rigid grass to fire routine Mario had always done rather then Mario playing out obscure folk tales, becoming a professional wrestler or playing detective on a fancy train. 

I do think Origami King is an innovative Paper Mario due to the battle system getting a revamp. Sticker Star and Color Splash had their gimmicks but they were still turn based while this game doesn't just move away from that but tries something completely different with its circle mechanic. That could be an interesting move. 

16 hours ago, Tediz64 said:

If you got the clubhouse 51 game, we could PM friend codes and play together.  I got it and it is loads of fun

As for this topic, I have to say I don't think I'll be picking up this title. $60 is too much and the bosses were disappointing.  Maybe after it comes out and I can see some game play then I'll change my mind but I'm not too sure I'll be getting it. I wanna see more about the partners and if they have the level system

Sorry, I'm sure the 51 clubhouse games is fun but I ended up spending my gaming money on getting Persona 4 Golden and Trails of Cold Steel 3 on Steam.

But really, 2020 has kind of made the Switch (and consoles in general) dead to me since the games and DLC they have been releasing either doesn't look interesting to me or looks subpar at best. But hey, with my Switch collecting dust I have been filling up my PC library of games and have been introduced to several good game series like Zero Escape, Danganronpa and YS.

14 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

To most critics of the new style the reverse seems to be true. Their problem isn't that Paper Mario is innovating but that's it in fact stagnating. Sticker Star was notably more generic, sticking to the same old rigid grass to fire routine Mario had always done rather then Mario playing out obscure folk tales, becoming a professional wrestler or playing detective on a fancy train.

Which are narrative / aesthetic elements, not gameplay elements.

Sticker Star wasn't a terribly inspiring game in the former regards, but its broken combat system was certainly distinct if nothing else.

Edited by AnonymousSpeed

So with my slight absence on this forum I don't think anyone here's heard me voice my opinion on this game so far... and truth be told...

I'm sold. This game looks amazing. It seems like there will be some neat area exploration just from how expansive the world looks so far, the battle system seems pretty interesting (not necessarily as great as the first game but it's something), and they functionally brought back badges (sorta, from what I've seen). I'm most definitely hyped.

The story and stuff doesn't look mind-blowing but no Paper Mario story was that good to begin with so this is perfectly fine, and personally I love the direction they took with the bosses this time around, and don't see why people generally don't like it. Oh, and the game looks gorgeous too, which is a plus. Glad they retained CS's artsyle.

Oh yeah, this is also coming from someone who doesn't like ttyd, personally.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Paper Mario (i hope they can port it to the switch. do it. do it!). in every incarnation that i've played (I haven't played Sticker Star). so I am excited about this. while I would love something akin to the first two. Colour Splash wasn't that bad (at all) - it could have had more unique people vs. the toads. but the toads were also very funny. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 6:22 AM, Koops said:

The story and stuff doesn't look mind-blowing but no Paper Mario story was that good to begin with so this is perfectly fine, and personally I love the direction they took with the bosses this time around, and don't see why people generally don't like it. Oh, and the game looks gorgeous too, which is a plus. Glad they retained CS's artsyle.

Oh yeah, this is also coming from someone who doesn't like ttyd, personally.

I am of the inclination that video games should be games before they try to be movies so I'm not particularly upset if the story is plain so long as the game part of the game is good.

I know I'm late but I'm fascinated to hear that take. What was your main complaint with Thousand Year Door? Did you like the original? Is Super Mario RPG better than either game?

No exp is upsetting. I was really holding out for that. And I was too quick on saying partners are in since they are just temporary guests, but you can't say that they didn't know how badly fans have wanted partners back and didn't intentionally market them that way to falsely get people's hopes up. What a scumbag move.

I'd honestly probably enjoy it more if if they just dropped all pretense of being an rpg and removed battles altogether and focused exclusively on the puzzle and platforming elements but oh well. It is what it is.

I loath that the response to "combat is pointless" was to shove a bunch of forced or really hard to avoid battles instead of actually improving them. Goes from tutorial fest where answers are given to you, to a tedious time consuming slog.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

I've never played a Paper Mario game, but I've heard some things about the series and I've seen the trailers for the new game. I was wondering: why is there such a heavy emphasis on papercraft? I thought that was a Yoshi thing. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the aesthetic of the first two Paper Mario games "paper" in the sense of a storybook, rather than papercraft?