Paper Mario returns

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I see. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised either then. My only major criticism of Paper Mario now is that I wish it had stories of such quality again.

Sadly, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Maybe if we ever get a Paper Zelda?

Or, another idea I saw someone suggest: break the series in two: one series would be called Paper Mario and would be like the more recent games, while the other would be called Mario Story and would be like the older games. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Sadly, that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Maybe if we ever get a Paper Zelda?

Yeah. They have no excuse to get rid of quality story-telling if it's Zelda, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, vanguard333 said:

Or, another idea I saw someone suggest: break the series in two: one series would be called Paper Mario and would be like the more recent games, while the other would be called Mario Story and would be like the older games. 

Sure, that would work, but... What the series used to be worked fine too. 😕

I actually prefer the papercraft angle to the storybook angle, aesthetically speaking, which is the only way one can really speak about it.

It's funny, because if I'm understanding their character design limitations right Super Paper Mario was completely in line with them.

Plot isn't very important in any Mario game, even the RPGs, I just hope it's fun to play again.

Well, it's the seventeenth, the game has officially released, and day 1 reviews of it are... not reliable in the slightest because they're day 1 reviews. Sorry; I just always wanted to make that joke. 

In all seriousness, now that the game has released, how good is the game?

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

In all seriousness, now that the game has released, how good is the game?

I think it's fun! The gameplay is so smooth and the world and characters and cutscenes are very well done. Even if there are no actual unique character designs outside of Olivia and Olly, the animations and graphics are flawless. And the gameplay is simple, but not too much so imo.

Though I do tend to prefer simple gameplay over more complicated and deep stuff. I usually find there's just too much to remember and keep in mind when it comes to the deeper side. That doesn't mean I'll dislike it, I'll just find it much more challenging to get the hang of. I found TTYD extremely hard because of all the different aspects of the gameplay you had to deal with.

That said, I didn't expect to have it right on release day! I ordered it from Amazon due to not feeling like going out more than I have to in this pandemic at present and I wasn't expecting to get it until the 21st.

Edited by Anacybele

On 7/16/2020 at 9:39 PM, vanguard333 said:

Pretty much no one I've seen talk about this thinks that the survey Nintendo did was any good for the very reasons you're mentioning. My best guess would be that the survey was done through some magazine, so most people who filled it in hadn't even played Super Paper Mario. I've seen that a number of times: people reference surveys that were put in magazines, only for it to be revealed that most of the people who filled it in didn't even consume the piece of media in question.

For the record, the only official way Nintendo did surveys back during the Wii era was to buy the game, enter the included code in the now-defunct Club Nintendo website, and then fill up a survey were you stated your opinion of the game. The survey was mandatory if you wanted to claim the coins you used to get rewards.

16 hours ago, Jave said:

For the record, the only official way Nintendo did surveys back during the Wii era was to buy the game, enter the included code in the now-defunct Club Nintendo website, and then fill up a survey were you stated your opinion of the game. The survey was mandatory if you wanted to claim the coins you used to get rewards.

Huh. Thanks. I really would have to do more research as to the survey Nintendo did for Super Paper Mario. 

Well, after watching some playthroughs of Origami King, I think I'll pass on getting this game.

Edited by vanguard333

Can I say Olivia is completely adorable? Like, most adorable and fun partner EVER! She has so much personality and is so positive and cheery even in this situation Mario's in. And she's completely fine with helping him defeat her brother. She wants things to be good and happy and peaceful even if it means taking down one of her own family. That's pretty admirable.

Anybody else like Olivia? I love her. XD

Edited by Anacybele

I'm loving this game. It's probably my favorite game in the series (I've played every game except Super Paper Mario), probably a Top 3 Switch game, and probably Top 10 Nintendo game ever. I still need to finish it, but I've been so impressed so far (early Chapter 3) that the game would have to do something really awful to make that change.

Also the OST is absolutely fantastic.

OH. I forgot to mention. There was a gamebreaking bug found that occurs late in the game. I advise anyone that's gotten far into it to stop playing until this bug is patched. There's also another bug that locks a player out of 100% because it causes a Toad to be unable to be saved.

I finished Origami King this weekend, and I really enjoyed the game. I really loved it.

I still need to decide which chapter (or streamer area) is my favorite. I am between Chapter 2 (Blue Streamer) and Chapter 4 (Purple Streamer).

Olivia is an adorable character, and probably my favorite Paper Mario's companion in his adventures.

I liked the gameplay, especially the Boss Battles.

The ending is very pretty.

Now I am working in 100% the game. I decided to play casually the game, and then work in completing it after defeating the final boss... although I 100%ed all Purple Streamer areas in my first visit in that chapter.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jave I recently came across a theory that might explain the survey and the discrepancy. As you said, you were awarded those Club Nintendo coins for filling in the survey. I wonder how many people who filled in the survey just wanted the coins and just rushed through the survey and just spammed whatever was the first answer. 

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

@Jave I recently came across a theory that might explain the survey and the discrepancy. As you said, you were awarded those Club Nintendo coins for filling in the survey. I wonder how many people who filled in the survey just wanted the coins and just rushed through the survey and just spammed whatever was the first answer. 

The questions with multiple choice were all technical and demographics (Age range, Gender, amount of people in household, etc.). The questions asking what did/didn't you like about the game were all open questions.

1 hour ago, Jave said:

The questions with multiple choice were all technical and demographics (Age range, Gender, amount of people in household, etc.). The questions asking what did/didn't you like about the game were all open questions.

Interesting. Well, that theory's a bust. Still, it is hard to believe that, "less than 1% of players who did the survey liked the game for the story" claim when all I keep hearing from people who played Super Paper Mario is that the story of the game was the best part.