Update a Fighter’s moveset

Perkilator

Disappointed with certain characters’ movesets in Smash Ultimate? Then this thread’s the one one for you! Only two rules:

1. It can only be a pre-Ultimate fighter or their Echo Fighter (so none of Ultimate’s unique base game or DLC newcomers)

2. Avoid changing a character to the point of making a new one (meaning you can add new moves, but the character must at least remain somewhat intact)

Here we go!

Kirby (inspired by TKOWL on Twitter)

Spoiler

Air Forward+A: Giant Swing; Kirby does a front flip with his hammer (16%, OK knockback)

Air Up+A: Kirby sparkles with his Beam staff (13%, OK knockback)

Air Down+A: Beam Blast; Kirby points diagonally downwards while firing his Beam (14%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Wheel Dash; Kirby turns into a wheel and skids forwards at high speeds (9%, OK knockback)

Changed Smash Moves

Forward+A: Hammer Flip; Kirby’s old Side B (27%, medium knockback)

Up+A: Gazer Spiral; Kirby extends his yo-yo to make him go upwards (22%, medium knockback)

Down+A: Spark Attack; Kirby emits a plasma dome all around himself that can protect him from attacks (24%, medium knockback)

Changed Special Moves

B + Forwards : Burning; Kirby’s old dash attack (14%, OK knockback)

B + Down : Stone/Heavy Stone; Kirby can charge his Stone ability to grow in size and meteor smash targets (30%, far knockback)

Changed Final Smash: Robobot Drill; Kirby’s Robobot Armor dashes into the background, hitting up to four targets at a time (9%). The targets are then taken into a cutscene where the Robobot’s right arm turns into a drill, piercing the four targets on a meteor (55%, devastating knockback)

Victory Music: A more modern version of the Kirby series victory theme; same goes for King Dedede

Dark Samus

Spoiler

Jab: The first part is the same as Samus’s, but is then followed up by a flurry of bullets (3%-4% each, small knockback)

Air Back + A: Dark Samus fires Phazon bullets behind her (11%, OK knockback)

Updated Smash Moves

Forward+A: A Phazon tentacle sprouts out of Dark Samus’s chest and stabs the target (21%, medium knockback)

Down+A: Dark Samus slams her arm cannon onto the ground, and tentacles sprout out around her (19%, medium knockback); taken from Dark Samus’s Assist Trophy from Smash 4.

Grab: Samus’s grab, but with a Phazon tentacle.

Pummel: Dark Samus electrocutes the grabbed target (1%-2.3%)

Down+Throw: Dark Samus splits into two, and they both shoot the target with their arm cannons (14%, OK knockback)

Changed Special Moves

B : Phazon Charge Shot; the first stage is identical to Samus’s Charge Shot. However, the full charge has Dark Samus shoot three energy orbs above her, and they all float around the stage and explode on contact (10% each, OK knockback)

B + Forwards : Turbo Missile; one of Samus’s custom moves from Smash 4 (6% homing, small knockback; 11% super, OK knockback)

B + Up : Screw Rush; one of Samus’s custom moves from Smash 4 (16%, OK knockback)

B + Down : Phazon Bomb; Dark Samus splits into two, and the fake one explodes on contact, drenching unfortunate targets in Phazon (8%, small knockback)

Final Smash: Metroid Prime; Dark Samus takes the form of a Phazon tentacle monster that grabs two targets at a time. She coats the grabbed enemies in Phazon (50%) and slams them on the ground, afflicting any targets that weren’t grabbed (16%, devastating knockback for the grabbed ones; 20%, medium knockback for the stragglers)

Gimmick: Phazon; works similar to the Inklings’ Ink mechanic. But instead of dealing more and more damage with each attack, the damage slowly rises whenever a fighter is coated with Phazon. This mechanic is permanent on Dark Samus’s allies in her Classic Mode, which is all the more reason to protect them; if they get K.O.’d, your maximum difficulty raise is chopped in half.

Edited by Perkilator

I would definitely change Ike a little by giving him a projectile. We have 2 main options for this we could simply base it off of Ragnells 2 range attack in RD (though that might be a bit big for a projectile) or he could throw a hand axe that would work kinda like YL boomerang.

Just as a way to make Ike more scary give his Up-B Aether a chance to heal him by how much damage it did or just make it do that all the time.

also on some of his attacks like his tilts or smash attacks he could use Urvan instead of Ragnell.

oh and replace counter with something funny like a shine barrier.

keep Side b the way it is or make it edge cancel able.

other than that give me a Blue flames on Ragnell and/or Alondite as alts and that is all I have.

Change Samus's neutral B to work the way her power beam works in Metroid; where if you repeatedly tap ((B)) instead of holding it down to charge, you can rapid-fire your uncharged shots as a streaming attack.

Upgrade her down B from bombs to power bombs (i.e. give them a bigger blast radius, and more damage + knock back)

Give her a move that lets her attack you with something like sonic's homing-attack in her morph ball form,  if she techs into it immediately after balling up for a side dodge or a down-B. 

And maybe add in a mechanic where after she executes a certain combo or performs a certain taunt, her neutral B temporarily upgrades from her basic power shots to something like the plasma beam or wavebuster.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

Dr. Mario

Spoiler

Redesign: Dr. Mario now wears his coat on his waist, with both sleeves tied together.

Forward+A: Dr. Mario sticks his stethoscope out, with electricity coming out of it (7%, small knockback)

Air+A: Dr. Mario briefly spins bandages around him (9%, OK knockback)

Air Back + A: Dr. Mario spills a potion behind him (11%, OK knockback)

Air Up + A: Spray Medicine; Dr. Mario holds a potion above him that sprays like a fountain (13%, OK knockback)

Dash Attack: Clipboard Bash; Dr. Mario skids forwards and uses a giant clipboard as a shield that knocks back targets and reduces projectile damage (12%, OK knockback)

Smash Moves

Forward+A: Dr. Mario’s old Side B, but now it electrocutes targets (17%, OK knockback) and nullifies projectiles instead of reflecting them.

Grab: Dr. Mario traps the target in a capsule; most throws have the capsule shoot out the target like a cannon.

Pummel: The capsule squeezes the target (1%)

Forwards+Throw: The capsule shoots the target forward (10%, OK knockback)

Down+Throw: Dr. Mario tips over the capsule by mistake, and it explodes (17%, OK knockback; .8% recoil)

Back+Throw: The capsule shoots the target behind Dr. Mario (10%, OK knockback

Up+Throw: The capsule shoots the opponent upwards (11%, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Pill Bopper; pressing B normally has this function just like Mario’s Fireball, but with the Megavitamins. However, charging B has Dr. Mario throw out 3 Megavitamins at once (6% each, small knockback)

B + Forwards : Science Lab; Dr. Mario throws one of four potions

-Fever; Explodes in a huge area upon contact (19%, medium knockback) and leaves a small area in flames that can damage fighters, even Dr. Mario

-Chill; Freezes targets upon contact (15%, OK knockback) and leaves a slippery, icy trail on the floor if it misses a target

-Spark; Leaves a medium orb of electricity for 3 seconds that hits multiple times (20%, medium knockback)

-Weird; Inflicts a random negative effect on the target (reverse controls, bury, turn Tiny, reduce stats, etc.)

B + Up : Ol’ One-Two; one of Dr. Mario’s custom moves from Smash 4; less powerful, but has about as much height as the Super Jump custom (13%, OK knockback)

B + Down : Bandage Spin; a variation of the Dr. Tornado where Dr. Mario stays in place, even in midair, spinning with bandages around him that reduce damage taken from projectiles (16%, OK knockback)

Final Smash: Virus Buster; Dr. Mario sends out an army of Mii doctors that run straight forward, hitting up to seven targets at a time (7%). The trapped targets are then taken into a cutscene where they are stacked on piles of Viruses in a Dr. Mario game, and the Mii doctors throw Megavitamins onto the board and eliminate the Viruses, along with the fighters (61%, devastating knockback)

New Taunts:

-Dr. Mario spins around and punches the air

-Dr. Mario pulls on his sleeves

New Victory Poses

-Dr. Mario spins around a few times, and then raises his fist in the air

-Dr. Mario wipes his hands off, and then pulls out Megavitamins (this is an existing victory pose, but the part where Dr. Mario throws Megavitamins is cut out)

Retained from the two:

-Dr. Mario rolls a Megavitamin on his shoulder and catches it (Taunt)

-Dr. Mario thrusts his stethoscope multiple times (Victory Pose)

Victory Music: An orchestral version of the Dr. Mario victory theme

Kirby Hat: The Doctor Kirby outfit from Planet Robobot

Ike:
He's one of my mains, but the problem i have with his Smash incarnation is that they made him so slow, while in PoR and RD he was actually a more than decently fast unit; i know, character balance and all that, but i still can't get over it, also because Brawl started this trend of Ike being the "slow but powerful" stereotype which he really isn't in his games

Anyway, about his moveset, I'd change his neutral B's properties and visuals, but it would still be a very powerful, chargeable attack:
basically Ike's charging pose would be that of when he's accepting Yune's power in RD, with blue flames enveloping both his body and sword, and when releasing the B button, or when the move is fully charged, he'd land a heavy, very powerful strike with Eruption's same properties (long-lasting hitbox which is also active behind Ike, and a bigger hitbox depending on the charge level), but it would not create flame pillars: it would instead cast a projectile similar to Cloud's normal Blade Beam (it would be very weak but fast if uncharged, while bigger, stronger, slower and wider the more you charge it)

Also, as others have already mentioned, Aether should heal Ike, even just a little bit

Cloud:
For the love of god, bring his old neutral air attack back, that's the only thing i could ask for

6 hours ago, Perkilator said:

1. It can only be a pre-Ultimate fighter (so none of Ultimate’s base game or DLC newcomers) 

Which is why you then proceed to change Dark Samus, who isn't a pre-Ultimate fighter. :facepalm:

I agree with everyone saying Ike should be made faster and have a sword-beam projectile from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, and I don't know what I could add to that. 

Ganondorf: I would change his standard and side specials to his magic projectiles from Ocarina of Time, and his down special is his shockwave attack from Ocarina of Time. His up special is close enough to his levitation that I would keep it; maybe with some tweaks in the animation. 

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Which is why you then proceed to change Dark Samus, who isn't a pre-Ultimate fighter. :facepalm:

Crap, I never realized I contradicted myself. Sorry, fixed it.

Sonic: I would just change him to a PM styled Sonic, based off of Sonic Battle.

ZSS: Allow the Paralyzer to be angled like in Zero Mission, please.

Mario/Luigi: Hammer based smash attacks, maybe?

• 1 month later...

Chrom and Lucina: Giving the two unique movesets, with Chrom using a lance alongside a sword and Lucina using a bow in addition to a sword.
Young Link: Replacing the standard items with moves based on the transformation masks, with a new final smash based on the Fierce Diety.
Toon Link: Again, replacing his items with stuff more specific to the games he appears in, like using the Grappling Hook instead of the Hookshot, using the Skull Hammer for Smash Attack, etc.
Dark Pit: Again, decloning him from Pit, using various weapons from Kid Icarus: Uprising instead of a bow.
Roy: Maybe add a ranged attack to reference the 1-2 range of the titular Binding Blade.
Ganondorf: Give him a moveset further removed from Falcondorf - maybe give him a Trident to reference Beast Ganon, for one.
Luigi: Give him more focus on the Luigi's Mansion games, like using the Poltergust in more attacks. Also the Neutral Special should be replaced with the Thunderhand from Superstar Saga.
Marth: Replace Dancing Blade; I really just don't like how it's essentially a normal attack.
Donkey Kong: Include more references from his games, like a barrel-throwing move.
Wario: Again, include some more references to Wario Land. Some of the Warioware moves should stay, though. Also change Wario Waft to something else because I don't like the move.