10 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I mean dude that’s just a matter of graphical limitations also the fact that this is a nintendo game so showing visual signs of injury is kind of hard to do. Hell 3H is the first time we’ve seen blood in a Fire Emblem game as far as I’m aware. Even so that’s an in engine cutscene and to make an entirely new skin for some random mage dude that’s hardly even relevant just for one cutscene is asking a bit much. As for the Celica and Byleth example of them not fighting the way you believe they should. You ever put yourself in an intense situation like that? Sometimes your body just kinda moves involuntarily. Or maybe you’re just not thinking straight due to the heightened adrenaline and emotion. Not every character is gonna make the completely logical decision every time. Humans aren’t robots. We’re not purely logical. We run on emotion too and those things can greatly influence how we act. Like if every character made the completely logical decision regardless of emotional influence that’d make for a pretty boring story honestly.

Fe6 gave Hector blood in his death scene.

I'm not even asking for blood, I'm saying is that we shouldn't have bosses we just defeat suddenly spring back up and be a threat because plot. (again, if we just killed the dude's mage friend body guard while the actual mage was a background element behind him the battle, that would ahve been better.), That mage should probably find it hard to walk considering how you just stabbed/arrowed and battered him 5 seconds earlier in gameplay. (FE7 actually implied Erk couldn't even stand after we beat him and he was only standing due to GBA portrait limitations considering how Hector's yelling at him to get up.)

You can easily show an injured state via animations alone. (Resident evil has been doing that since 1998)

Also well, Byleth is ment to be rather emotionless hardened killer who's a infamous mercenary I'm fairly certain and Celica has killed many, many things by this point and I'd say has certainly lost her inexperience. (I could buy it happening to Celica near the start of the game but not the same Celica we have by the ending.)

Alternatively, why not have the Bad guys be smart? rather than the heroes being dumb.

Edited by Samz707

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Samz707 said:

I can understand turns not being real turns but we literally JUST kicked the lifebar out of Dolth/Random mage dude yet in the cutscene afterwards, they're not even injured seemingly and both require Celica/Byleth to just not kill them when they really, really easily could, Celica literally has a sword in one hand, magic in the other, I highly doubt Dolth would be able to grab her and not die from one of the two things.

(and Byleth, a trained feared mercenary, forgets how to fight seemingly as well as that metal swords generally do not block fireballs considering how evidently both them and the mage are surprised it even worked, I'd expect an FE Protagonist who's a simple villager to be as dumb as Byleth in this scene.)

As for other Tactics games: None of them have had your characters suddenly lose all competency to get captured in my experience.

Dolth can summon goddamn dragons. So they definitely could have done something to achieve the same effect there if they were just a bit more creative. Maybe him summoning one last necrodragon on his death that no one was expecting.

5 hours ago, Ottservia said:

Hell 3H is the first time we’ve seen blood in a Fire Emblem game as far as I’m aware.

yes, nintendo games as general (in-house games not 3rd party) really mild or just trying to be family friendly to me. we see blood in cutscene but still no blood in gameplay (altho thats more because of game limitation than them removing it)

6 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Yeah I don't like it in games where "We need to show how the situation is serious by making our hero nearly die/get captured from circumstances that wouldn't arise in gameplay."

in a game where losing a fight means losing a unit permanently, i dont even know how to make a scene where you lose without it being awkward.  other than making your army's side lose because you arent exactly there or fighting somewhere else

Edited by joevar

There's several things I recall not liking regarding his story involvement. Him becoming the leader of whatever their group was called (the resistance or something) just felt awkward and weird. And I remember it was a huge deal that Alm was a commoner and that one guy left because of it (I'm not gonna look up his name). But I remember Clive making a big deal that he was a commoner and that it made the most sense that Alm was the leader (also largely involved his 'grandfather,' of course). Still doesn't make much sense though since he's this random scrub with no war experience. It's not realistic. Then it turns out Alm is in fact not a commoner and heir to the empire. That took away any strength they had, because they were pouring so much into the idea that he was a commoner (not that we didn't see it coming). You could argue that he still grew up with one so it doesn't take the strength away entirely, but I think it reinforces that nobles and royalty are better in this world. Bad writing imo and super cliche. I don't remember all of the details obviously, but I remember hating the awkward approach to it all. Very messy.

Alm's personality on the other hand I don't have any problems with. I liked his character in that department and remember liking him much more than Celica. Celica was really annoying and snotty. Then she became the typical damsel in distress. Which I guess doesn't really bother me, but it felt so cliche and wasn't done in a clever way. Idk, I have many problems with this game. Very average game. Probably the third from the bottom as far as FE games go imo. Maybe I could convince myself overall its worse than Fates, but definitely not Binding Blade. At least we had Berkut though, that man added a lot.

3 minutes ago, SSbardock84 said:

You could argue that he still grew up with one so it doesn't take the strength away entirely, but I think it reinforces that nobles and royalty are better in this world. Bad writing imo and super cliche. I don't remember all of the details obviously, but I remember hating the awkward approach to it all. Very messy.

i wouldnt call it super cliche since there is actually merit in that. what merit you ask? Alm being royalty means he can be above the nobles and actually persuade them to work together (after the war) without them having  superiority complex like Ferdinand and Berkut, (more like how right hand man of Rudolf fully accept Alm to command Rigel right after Rudolf defeat) also because he grew up in remote village he knows exactly what happen in places where the government/kingdom/empire hand rarely reach, thus making him wiser and actually more emphatic towards lower people because Alm actually experience it, not just understand but live through it. (i dont think Mycen ever treat him like a royalty, neither did his friend)

he gains the benefit of both worlds i would say

i would argue that many narrative problem can be somewhat solved partially if we actually follow Alm and Celica after the war, and see how they implement what they have learn from all of it not just stop exactly after the big fight.

this is exactly how Gundam story always end too (which i have love-hate). big fight done? BAM credit rolls... and turns out the sequel after that war start again....

Edited by joevar

13 hours ago, joevar said:

in a game where losing a fight means losing a unit permanently, i dont even know how to make a scene where you lose without it being awkward.  other than making your army's side lose because you arent exactly there or fighting somewhere else

Could do it by giving disposable NPCs, I guess. I recall how in Radiant Dawn, there are NPC units that fight alongside you. 

19 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Alternatively, why not have the Bad guys be smart? rather than the heroes being dumb.

because by then the heroes need to be even smarter which will be harder to pull off. 100% possible of course. just rarely seen it. the thing is Fire emblem writer always consist of several people after Kaga departure so it may or may not be one of the reason inconsistencies pop up here and there.

24 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Could do it by giving disposable NPCs, I guess. I recall how in Radiant Dawn, there are NPC units that fight alongside you. 

you mean, if a certain number of NPC dies, then we lose the battle but story will still continue? 

2 minutes ago, joevar said:

because by then the heroes need to be even smarter which will be harder to pull off. 100% possible of course. just rarely seen it. the thing is Fire emblem writer always consist of several people after Kaga departure so it may or may not be one of the reason inconsistencies pop up here and there.

Yeah, making the heroes be smart is generally tough to do, because if they are smart, it's a question on why they didn't notice the bad guys sooner or something. Or it might be an annoying twist like with Robin tricking Validar because he was already ahead on the plan with the fake Gemstones. 

2 minutes ago, joevar said:

you mean, if a certain number of NPC dies, then we lose the battle but story will still continue? 

I was more going on about how they would show the battle being tougher than usual, but that would be an interesting take. 

Alternatively, could have have the final prologue chapter of Shadow Dragon, where a bunch of ridiculously strong NPC units show up and you have to use a decoy by sacrificing a unit.