Failure vs Winning: which one help you grow more?

Failure vs Winning  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which helps you grow more?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/20/2020 at 09:55 PM

As a man who took so many L' s in life, at some point you just get numb to it. You fail so mush that wining one doesn't actually feel good or rewarding. But if you win more then you lose it should feel so devastating, you work harder to never feel failure again. ( I don't really know tho, since I never win.) 

So i'm going to say winning helps you grow more,but what do you peeps think?  

This will be up for 3 Day, go crazy!

I guess maybe some kind of balance of both. Not sure what the ideal ratio is, and the ideal ratio might even be different depending on the person and situation.

Uhhh. . .

Failure can help you to grow, assuming you learn from the mistake.  Winning feels good, but like failure, it's far more helpful if you know what went right.  Sometimes, what you think is a failure is a win, and vice versa.

In other words, failing and learning > winning and learning >> winning and not learning > failing and not learning.  IMO it's more important to analyze the outcome.

Self-reflection is what's needed.  You can learn more from a failure than a success, but a success can be a great teaching moment as well if you have the ability to analyze and understand what made your success a success.

With that said, people can become complacent or callous when they succeed all the time.  Moreover it can grow stale if the successes aren't against increasing odds.  I was playing Star Wars: Battlefront 2 (the old one, not EA's) with @Silafante and @Azure loves his Half Elves around May 4th and it was more fun when I actually lost sometimes than when I won by a landslide.  What makes success fulfilling, at least partly and in some circumstances, is the idea that you could fail.

On the other side of the coin, if all you do is lose, it's very easy to get demotivated and upset.  I used to play Call of Duty multiplayer all the time when I was a teenager.  While I'm sure I did improve over time, I just kept losing.  There was this one time I played a map where there was a bunch of smoke coming from some tankers which I hid inside and got, like, a 30-something killstreak, which was fulfilling but felt kind of like dumb luck more than genuine skill because it was out of the ordinary.  At some point I think I just stopped learning because none of what I had learned got me anywhere, and I just stopped playing Call of Duty altogether when I became a legal adult.

You really ought to have both in good balance, essentially, but you also need to be able to actually analyze what brings you your failures and successes.

Losing isn't necessarily "failure". People think succesful people just magically achieve things and just win at every chance they get. People who have a tendency to succeed and overachieve will likely meet this later in their life, but it will hurt them a lot more than people who are used to losing. Everyone makes mistakes, eventually.

People who are used to constantly losing but end up making it, at the end of the day, are far stronger because of their struggles and their ability to keep going.

image.thumb.png.e3bfa4a0f85127612132e83f1cef50c9.png

Edited by Soul >8]

Failure isn't doing you any favors at the beginning (unless you have some support right away, but I'm not familiar with support at all so whatever), but you will eventually learn from your mistakes and overcome them, giving you a somewhat neutral spot between sucess and failure (which I guess it's the better spot to stand). Or you can just keep failing and learning nothing of it, which will probably take you to the worst spot possible.

Winning a lot on the other hand could be simply described as ''The higher you are, the higher you fall''. Which shouldn't be good.

So yeah, a balance it's good. Even if there's no set place to call middle.

I'm still voting for failure.

I'm gonna use the Pokémon anime as a reference here because I feel it actually applies.

At the beginning, Ash was terrible and he had a lot of growing to do. Couldn't do type matchups and often got his Gym Badges as a result of the strength of his character instead of his battling ability.

Then he took a huge loss at the Pokémon League because he got cocky from having a half-decent winning streak just prior to getting into the Pokémon League. His placement in that Pokémon League was pretty decent given his flaws. He wasn't a fantastic trainer but he wasn't an awful one by the time he got there.

Come the Orange League he again got a little cocky but the big difference here is that he learned an important lesson from Lorelei of the Elite 4 who pretty effortlessly subdued Ash's out of control Charizard and then later on beat Pikachu in a fair battle. All the while learning a valuable lesson in his defeat at her hands. This defeat was one of the important losses that made him a better trainer and made him try to better understand what he was doing wrong. Because he started to look at his mistakes and see where he was going wrong, he was able to develop his skills and attitude to help avoid making those same mistakes again. And sure enough, he won in the Orange League because he managed to get Charizard to listen to and respect him.

Basically, the importance of losing is to look at what you did wrong and how you can change yourself to improve and make fewer mistakes.

On the other hand, while winning is great, that doesn't mean that you can't learn anything from always winning. If you beat an opponent in a competition, what mistakes did they make? Can you learn from their mistakes and improve yourself that way?

Yeah, failure (or anything else somewhat similar) is a better teacher.

I mean, you can only really improve your writing skills if someone sees your mistakes and helps you to learn from them.

(Also, thanks @Ertrick36 for the shoutout)

agreed that it is entirely dependent on the person (and probably also the situation as well)

that said, I think I do agree that failure offers the most growth potential, because there's a lot more "up" to be achieved from down toward the bottom. that's my brain's thought process at least.

Edited by Freohr Datia

15 hours ago, eclipse said:

Uhhh. . .

Failure can help you to grow, assuming you learn from the mistake.  Winning feels good, but like failure, it's far more helpful if you know what went right.  Sometimes, what you think is a failure is a win, and vice versa.

In other words, failing and learning > winning and learning >> winning and not learning > failing and not learning.  IMO it's more important to analyze the outcome.

You know, I think I finally get you. Took a while, but now I can see you in a new light. 

In my life experience, if you're not good at something, you'd be better off finding what you are good at and make room for somebody who does know what they're doing. Doing a bad job just inconveniences more people and that's the worst feeling. The feeling of preparing for a job, and doing it well, is a wonderful thing. There's a common conception that people see what they did wrong more when they fail, but I always found that outrageous. Most people I've met search for an excuse when something goes wrong. Flatly rejecting the notion that they made any mistake. What have they learned then?

Edited by Glennstavos