Finally watched Gundam

Rapier

I made a topic about wanting to get into Gundam 4 years ago, actually watched a bit of the original Gundam (the first movie, at least), which unfortunately jumped around the story and skipped a lot of things, then last week I remembered I had an interest in Gundam (because of a game on Steam).

Now here I am, after watching 25 episodes of Gundam Wing. And I just want to share my thoughts/understand others' about it.

The original thread had people talking about its issues, but honestly I enjoyed the experience. It portrays war in a very mature way, depicts how it is hell for the citizens and soldiers struggling with it, speaks about coups and military factions and gives an interesting portrayal of space colonies and their views of Earth nations/organizations. I also loved Relena, Zechs (and I honestly love how he isn't another Char) and Treize, although Noin (and even Lady Une after a few episodes) deserves a honorable mention.

I agree that the characters take some time to get their build-up and that the plot can take loops, though. Sometimes they seem to have sudden derp-esque motivations that I'm willingly suspending my disbelief because I hope they're explained later. Other than that, I see no issue with the animation whatsoever, since it's expected of a 95s anime to reuse animation, especially when the action scenes tend to be hectic and the Mobile Suits are highly detailed. Plus, the MS designs were very cool overall, the OST was amazing, the overall art (if not the animation) is good.

I think I'll jump to Iron-Blooded Orphans after that, or 00.

Edited by Rapier

Nuh-uh.  Endless Waltz next.  It's a "what happens after the credits roll" for Wing.  It also has one of my favorite songs.

10 minutes ago, eclipse said:

Nuh-uh.  Endless Waltz next.  It's a "what happens after the credits roll" for Wing.  It also has one of my favorite songs.

Yeah, when I said "after Wing" I meant "after all of Wings' seasons and there's no more Wing related content to watch".

Also, if Endless Waltz keeps up with the quality of Wing's OST (and that incredible intro song), I'm sold.

I also miss Super Robot Wars, and two are conveniently on Steam (region locked, but nothing I can't get through). Great.

Edited by Rapier

Wait, the original was adapted into movies? Huh, I only knew that sort of thing happened to Zeta. Interesting...

25 minutes ago, Rapier said:

I also miss Super Robot Wars, and two are conveniently on Steam (region locked, but nothing I can't get through). Great.

I so envy you right now.

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, the original was adapted into movies? Huh, I only knew that sort of thing happened to Zeta. Interesting...

Not quite.  It's somewhat like a sequel - so if you didn't watch the original Wing, it won't make sense.

Just now, eclipse said:

Not quite.  It's somewhat like a sequel - so if you didn't watch the original Wing, it won't make sense.

No no, by original I mean the 0079 original, not TV Wing. Which I assumed that's what Rapier also meant by original.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

No no, by original I mean the 0079 original, not TV Wing. Which I assumed that's what Rapier also meant by original.

OH!  Sorry about that.  Not sure about the status of it, since my memories of the original Gundam are hazy.

23 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yes, there are 3 OVAs of the original Gundam. The first part of the first OVA is actually good at recapping things without skipping a lot, but by the time the plot picks up, it starts jumping a lot and skips build-ups.

I wonder why no one went with the effort of remaking the original Gundam, since it's such a classic but also a very old anime.

9 minutes ago, Rapier said:

I wonder why no one went with the effort of remaking the original Gundam, since it's such a classic but also a very old anime.

Perhaps due to being kinda "untouchable"? As it is, it's rare to see anything animated get another animated adaption/remake/remaster. I long thought the Zeta movies were the exception, until learning this happened with the original too. On the other hand, the original's were remade shortly after the series ended, when it was still the only Gundam around. The Zeta movies were a 25th anniversary special of the franchise, if I recall correctly, and they're non-canon anyway. To the main animated continuity at least.

It's telling that when The Origin got adapted into anime, they only covered the unique stuff (Char's backstory and stuff), instead of fully adapting it. Since The Origin, after it's done with covering the Zeon siblings' story pre-0079, it then turns into an alternate retelling. That wasn't adapted.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

The lack of G Gundam in this discussion is astounding. But I do hold the opinion that Zechs was better at being Char than Char himself.

On 5/20/2020 at 12:37 AM, Acacia Sgt said:

Yes. I calculated it and, while they condense the original into three movies, its ~23 episodes length since each movie is around 2.5 hours long. It also fixes the shitty animation from 0079.

Zeta movies are like ~12 episodes length, and they cut out the entire Dakar arc and everything. The Zeta movies were really bad imo

On 5/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, Karimlan said:

The lack of G Gundam in this discussion is astounding. But I do hold the opinion that Zechs was better at being Char than Char himself.

what