Favorite Fire Emblem Lord?

3 hours ago, CWGameplay said:

Hands down Seliph, as both a character and unit.  Don't wanna spoil anything for the rare person who doesn't know some of the major events in Genealogy of the Holy War, but I think that the motivation and conviction his character has resonates with the player so much.  You want Seliph to win just as much as he does, and you can understand and sympathize with his actions.  Seliph is the hero that Jugdral desperately needs, and he steps up to that task.  You get to watch Seliph grow into the type of man that Sigurd is, and I think watching that journey is incredible.

In terms of gameplay, Seliph is just ridiculously good and fun to use.  Inheriting the Silver Sword (which will probably have 50 kills by then) means that he can just carve through enemies with criticals, and I tend to also always inherit the Paragon Band to allow for quick growth.  Seliph will be promoted in no time, giving him access to a mount and even better stats.  And not too long after that, he'll get hold of the Tyrfing: A 30 Might sword that gives him +10 Skill, +10 Speed, and +20 Resistance.

Seliph is the man.

Eh. I get where you're coming from but I don't think Seliph really does do a massive amount of actual development in his route. Most of Part 2's cutscenes actually stem from other characters. Seliph's interactions usually consist of Lewyn just chewing him out without actually explaining much.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Character wise: Micaiah, she is also my overall favorite character, I have developed an interesting attraction to her I'm not sure if I can't explain right now, but I really like her character and how unique her role and everything is played in the story.

Unit-wise: Well this is a bit weird, I enjoy two kinds of units in FE, the ones that are very strong and the ones that are very unique... So I think I'm going to answer Micaiah; because she is a quite weird character to use, but manages to always do something thanks to all her traits, Sacrifice can help in a whim, Thani is a very cool weapon, and in Part 3 onwards she has access to Physic, which is always cool too.

I would say Eliwood is my favorite lord. I liked his story the most and unpopular opinion here but I always found him to be a more interesting character than Lyn and Hector. I also like Chrom and Dimitri as well.

Character-wise, Lyn is undoubtedly and without question my favorite.
She's such a layered character and genuinely something different than other protagonists in the franchise, and she doesn't get nearly enough credit for that, in my opinion. I'd even go so far as to say that up to that point, she was the most unique protagonist the franchise had given us, and still remains one of the more unique ones.
There's several different things that push her character forward. For starters, the first twelve (including prologue and endgame) chapters of Blazing Blade are entirely dedicated to her and because of that, we really get to see her grow as a character in what is one of the franchise's finest pieces of storytelling. Going beyond that and into Eliwood/Hector mode, there's a lot in her supports that continue giving her growth, something that's often lost because everyone always jumps to the "she isn't super plot important" ship.
In addition to character traits like a sense of justice and honor, things like bitterness, revenge, and racism are all explored through her; each one is handled well, and gives genuine growth and character development.
The way it explores her bitterness through her interactions with Fargus and Hector is one of the more powerful sets of moments in the game, as well as the franchise. The way they handle her desire for revenge is equally powerful, albeit in a more subtle way; throwing a curveball with Wallace and revealing that she doesn't get to have her revenge because someone else beat her to her targets was a clever way to push that forward. Is it easily missed? Sure, but if we're being honest, so are a lot of important things throughout the whole franchise; a great many relevant and important arcs for several main protagonists is locked away behind a support conversation. It doesn't dampen how effective Lyn's support with Wallace is.
Lyn is a well-written character, and more developed and layered than a lot of people give her credit for. She's pretty awesome.

Unit-wise, I'm not as sure about my favorite. Sigurd can more or less solo his portion of Genealogy; Hector, Ephraim, and Ike are all very strong units; and Chrom, Lucina, and Robin can all be pretty broken, Robin especially. I'm not sure if I have a single favorite unit among the lords.

• 2 weeks later...

Story wise: Alm. I am always fond of lords who start off from basically nothing, just another person in some remote village who eventually grows to be a true hero through shear determination and their drive to keep pushing forward.

Unit wise: Sigurd. He is just an absolute monster in combat, and starting off as a mounted lord is awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 3:05 AM, Faellin said:

Story wise: Alm. I am always fond of lords who start off from basically nothing, just another person in some remote village who eventually grows to be a true hero through shear determination and their drive to keep pushing forward.

That's not really Alm though. He was born under a special prophecy, to special parents, and was personally trained by a legendary warrior and personal friend of the emperor of Rigel. 

As for my favorite lords, I'm tempted to say Dimitri and Edelgard.

Spoiler

Dimitri is a traditional Fire Emblem lord on one hand, and a broken shell of a man on the other. While him coming back to his senses was too sudden and arguably one of the worst parts of Three Houses' story, I really appreciated him having to battle, lose to, and then overcome his own inner demons. I appreciate the more internal struggle that so often is absent or gets brushed aside for lords in Fire Emblem.

Edelgard suffers from her route being unfinished and several plot threads skimmed over or ignored to make everything move along smoothly. She could also have benefited from more concrete proof of the Church needing to be taken down before the mole people. These are serious flaws, but everything else I adore. The confidence and determination, the fact that we got a playable lord as a main antagonist, that she's someone you need to battle but she's got her own beliefs and goals that make sense, the Flame Emperor act...it's all so good and unconventional and just what I needed from a Fire Emblem protagonist.

I've said before that one of my main problems with the Fire Emblem series was them playing stories so safe and sticking to a very tried and true formula in terms of writing. This affects protagonists and villains to a great extent as well, and  I'm glad that Three Houses deviated heavily from falling into the same trap as many of its predecessors did.

Unit-wise, though? If Robin counts, the sword + tome combo is hard to beat, I must say! A cool cloak is just an added bonus.

On 6/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, Thane said:

That's not really Alm though. He was born under a special prophecy, to special parents, and was personally trained by a legendary warrior and personal friend of the emperor of Rigel. 

Alm only really needed to don't be a coward and he would accomplish destiny because he was fated to do so, it was inevitable, unavoidable. just like a Requiem.

Edited by Troykv

Unsurprisingly that whole "self-made hero" angle didn't exist in the original game because it really makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm gonna be the one who says Zade. It's pretty fascinating how he shares so many similarities with Reese, being a backwater Lord with very few subjects to his name, as well as having an older relative who is considered a great hero far beyond the borders of their tiny territory. And both share a giant stick up their ass. It's just that in Reese's case, these things are just kinda there. I played through Berwick twice and I still have no idea what really drives him. Zade is...  surprisingly not like that at all. He does have the giant stick too, but let's just say he doesn't sit very comfortably with it.

It's shown that while Zade is trying his best to act competent and mature, he is heavily struggling under his responsibilities and living in the shadow of his brother. He usually barely manages to hold on.
It also shows nicely how this affects his relationships with different people. He gets along nicely with veteran leaders who appreciate his sense of responsibility and professionalism, while people near his own age who try to form a closer relationship with him find that they quickly hit a brick wall.
He is a surprisingly human and vulnerable take on Kaga's usual main leads.

Edited by BrightBow

4 hours ago, Icelerate said:

Micaiah is my favourite lord. Surprise! Surprise!

*GASPS* I'm shook......didn't see that one coming : P

Anyway, Micaiah is also my favorite lord. I don't know if that will ever really change. And to be honest...I almost would LOVE for a character to make me love them more than Micaiah, as that would really mean a great deal, but it has yet to happen. Although Dimitri did come pretty close. 

7 hours ago, Rose482 said:

*GASPS* I'm shook......didn't see that one coming : P

Anyway, Micaiah is also my favorite lord. I don't know if that will ever really change. And to be honest...I almost would LOVE for a character to make me love them more than Micaiah, as that would really mean a great deal, but it has yet to happen. Although Dimitri did come pretty close. 

You'd almost love? So you wouldn't like it if you liked a character better than you like one now?

Yes, I'm being pedantic. Ignore me.

On 6/11/2020 at 7:38 PM, Troykv said:

Alm only really needed to don't be a coward and he would accomplish destiny because he was fated to do so, it was inevitable, unavoidable. just like a Requiem.

This is the problem with destinies and prophecies. If everything is predicted then any tension in the story evaporates. Sure you can go the subversion route but then you need to delve a lot more in depth about the nature of the prophecy, and in Echoes it was kept vague to put it gently.

It would've been nice with a poll to accompany the thread. 

Ike is my favorite lord both as a character and as a unit. I like how he is one the few lords not of nobility. I like his relationships with his family and other characters and how he develops throughout one of the biggest stories in the franchise. He has a great design. As a unit he hits hard and often. Ragnell is a powerful sword. Definitely a lord you want to train and put on the frontlines. 

On 6/9/2020 at 6:00 PM, Thane said:

As for my favorite lords, I'm tempted to say Dimitri and Edelgard.

So your previous favourite Lucina has been overtaken. 

On 6/12/2020 at 11:24 PM, Jotari said:

You'd almost love? So you wouldn't like it if you liked a character better than you like one now?

Theoretically speaking it'd be nice to see a new character surpass the old ones but it can create some difficulties in adopting to a new worldview when your previous outlook has firmly established a character as your favorite. It's similar to, although not as extreme, as someone changing their political or religious belief after realizing the flaws of their old one. 

Seliph with Leif being as a very close second

Seliph is great not because I know a lot about him but I know almost nothing about him. Story-wise he never does anything interesting and suffers from the fact that he only talks with one person who is basically an exposition-bot. But there are a few small moments which give insight into his personality which don't give me the feeling he is that heroic and that it's all an act. By telling us so little about him it makes him actually interesting and relatable since a lot of people don't act the way they feel or actually are which is a problem I often have with a lot of other lords (although I might also be me overthinking it).

Leif is great for the opposite reasons that Seliph is. He is a great because he is an amazing lead that has flaws and makes mistakes that actually have real consequences. Simply put, he feels like a real human being because you see him act like a real human being.

(I wrote some short thoughts on Marth, Sigurd & the 3h lords because I also like them but not as much as Seliph & Leif. )

Spoiler

I also like Marth but only in fe3 & 11. I haven't finished fe1 but from what I've played he basically has no personality there and we all know what happened in fe12.

Sigurd is good not because of his personality but because of the story he partakes in/the events that transpire around him. 

The 3h lords I also like but they have problems that I find hard to ignore. While I don't agree with Edelgard I still think she is mostly well written. But her relationship with Byleth is so idiotic that it completely takes me out of the story (If you don't know what I mean it's the fact that she sees Byleth as her equal and the only one she can open up to). Also her death scene in VW/SS was so overdramatic that I found it hilarious. Dimitri is a great lead and also has some great interactions with other characters but also has the issue that his relation with Byleth feels really stupid. Claude doesn't have the Byleth problem but that's more because he doesn't have any presence in the story and is just saved by being really likable.

Edited by Rapaille

Character-wise, probably Dimitri.  That kid's arc got me in places I wasn't quite ready to be gotten, so I feel like that has to say something.  Runners up would include Eliwood, whose story I feel was rather underrated back in the Blazing Blade days and whom I'm glad to see is generally enjoying a bit more love lately.

Combat performance-wise, Claude's personal class makes him absolutely hilarious to use but I'm also a big fan of Ike in Path of Radiance in no small part thanks to Aether.  Once you get him promoted, he can more or less eat the whole game for lunch.  Not the best strategy perhaps but the power fantasy of it all can be fun in bursts.  Sigurd is great too buuut I tend not to like relying on him too much, as he almost makes the first half too easy at times.

I feel like I wanna say Lyn but I admit I'm a bit biased due to actually really liking her story bit of FE7 (Since I actually like how it's a smaller scale thing and it's kinda a breath of fresh air as there's no big world ending threat, yet anyway.). Just a few slightly organized dudes overthrowing an evil ruler in a somewhat small scale conflict is actually something I wish we saw more of considering how every threat in fiction needs to be world ending and they always want you to know as soon as possible. (It's nice to actually have the stakes desecalate for once.)

So yeah just having this kinda more I guess ordinary protagonist who goes through what feels like more of a personal journey with lower stakes was really enjoyable for me. 

I have no idea if this is normal for Normal mode but my Lyn actually got so good stat-wise, that if she was on a forest tile from roughly Battle Before Dawn onwards, she could almost never be actually hit, the enemy chance to hit would be zero mostly, which ment I got alot of use out of her as this nearly untouchable sword unit so a unit with a pretty much zero chance of dying for a good chunk of the last third of the game was incredibly useful.  (Granted, the Morphs in the final map were tough enough to the point where this stopped being helpful.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, TheGreatHooey said:

Combat wise: I can't really say much about combat since I've only completed a few games... tho, I'd probably have to go with a three houses lord, and, while they are all close, Claude probably slightly outs the others.

looooool bro he is easily the worst Lord combat wise. Dimitri has a 100% crit rate with his super broken Batallion Vantage + Batallion Wrath combo. Edelgard has Galeforce with Aymr. Blyat is also better than the funny upside down man.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 8:47 AM, vanguard333 said:

Huh; true. Speaking of green, I think one of the funniest things I ever heard about Link is, "Link can do what no one else can: make a floppy green hat look cool". 

To be fair, interviews have stated that Link’s hat was inspired by Peter Pan from Disney, so he’s the first to make a hat look cool. 

Anyway, back to the question: Dimitri no doubt. Gameplay wise, he was my MVP on Maddening, thanks to Batallion Wrath + Vantage + Chalice of Beginnings. He’s the only reason I survived the final maps.

Story: Dimitri as well. I really love his managing of his psychosis, though it is resolved too quickly. I also stark contrast and similarities between him and Edelgard, with Dimitri refusing to kill for one’s ideals, while Edelgard believes sacrifice is required. 

That's a very tough question to answer. I'd have to say from the games I've beaten (all save Three Houses) either Ike because I like his story, strength as a unit and rivalry the Black Knight or Leif for his usefulness as a Master Knight in FE4 and his character development in Thracia 776.

Edited by Wraith

My name has both my favorite Fire Emblem lords: Marth and Claude. For both of them, I love their idealism and the way they're willing to fight for what's right. I also love their approach to war. They're not like Edelgard, who always planned to use war to conquer the continent and force her ideals on people. But they're also not like Celica, who is constantly talking about how peaceful solutions are always better and always tries to find ways out of fighting. Both Marth and Claude would rather not fight in a war, but they both understand that it can be necessary, and in their respective situations, it is. But even then, they try to keep battles and casualties limited, and keep civilians out of it entirely.

Claude is a very unique lord. He's a fairly unique character overall. I love the air of secrets and mystery around him, and his passion for rooting out the core of all the corruption on Fodlan. His vision for a world without prejudice is of course something everyone would like to see, and the game actually manages to handle it in a way that isn't super preachy, which is nice. And  he's very funny, and just a nice, likable guy. His support conversations are always some of my favorites to watch. If playing with a female Byleth, S-supporting with Claude is the only option. And their relationship and ending together are fantastic.

(Warning: Marth Appreciation Novel incoming) (Also small spoiler warning for New Mystery of the Emblem, very small though)

Marth, of course, is the original lord, that all the other lords are based off of. His morals and ideals set the tone for the morals and ideals of the entire Fire Emblem franchise. I also love his personal story, too. Rather than just the average "my dad died and now I'm sad and want revenge" that most lords get, Marth watches his whole world crumble around him. First he finds out his father and more than half of the Altean army has been killed. Then he has to flee his kingdom and abandon his people, and he doesn't get any say in the matter. Then he loses his sister, and can't go back to get her. He doesn't even know where his mother is, or if she's alive. He has to sacrifice one of his own personal guards so that he can escape, and as he leaves he watches his castle fall and his people are then forced into slavery. In my opinion, that's a much more compelling backstory and motivation than most other lords get. And I love that vengeance is never his goal, either. Vengeance stories really bore me (sorry Ike, I like you as a character, though). What Marth is fighting for is the good of all people, it's truly a good vs evil story, which are a lost art nowadays. His love story with Caeda is my favorite one in the series. One of my absolute favorite things about Marth, though, is how his sister describes him. She calls him "a weak, vulnerable child," and "an idealistic child who firmly clings on to his beliefs." He does, in fact, hold on to his beliefs so tightly that he allows himself to be betrayed by one of his closest allies. Elice goes on to say that Marth truly believes he can save the life of every single one of his subjects, even those who die of natural causes. "In war, losing just one companion is unbearable for him...He suppresses his feelings with all his willpower, but I know that inside, his heart breaks and bleeds..." I know every lord has the "I don't want to lose a single ally" thing, but none of them truly believe it like Marth does. It's very intriguing to me that he could shut himself out of reality that way, and yet still remain grounded enough to be a general in a war. Even that doesn't come easily to him, though. He's constantly asking the advice of his close friends and allies, and after making a decision, he continues to ask all of them if they think he made the right decision. He's very much a perfectionist in that way, which I personally relate to. And he's also just a sweet and awkward little boi, which I love. 

I could go on even more about Marth, but I'm embarrassed enough as it is. I think it's clear to see which of my two favorite lords takes the cake in my book, lol. Sorry for the monstrous paragraph, but Marth is my favorite character in the whole series and I just love him so so much. I hope you play more Fire Emblem games in the future - it's a really great series!

For story consideration, I'd definitely say Leif for a lot of reasons others have already stated. He's one of the more grounded and human lords from one of the more grounded FE stories. He has his share of victories and defeats, faces very real consequences for his actions, and grows as a person and a leader over the course of his journey. Having all the backstory with Quan, Ethlyn, Finn, and others from FE4 and related media to further define his character and relationships is a great bonus too.

For combat/gameplay, I'd also have to say Leif. If you'd asked me this years ago I'd have said Sigurd/Hector/Ike/etc. because they're facewreckers, but I've really come to appreciate the lord unit having a more supportive role, especially something different from a staff bot. Despite having a decent early game presence for combat (especially if he gets the early stat boosters), Leif's relative strength begins to stagnate later on because of his delayed promotion and the introduction of other units who just blow him out of the water combat-wise. But even though he falls off, he still can remain useful as a forced deployment because of his large array of supports, access to an exclusive magic sword, and being a great King Sword carrier for the Charisma bonus when you don't need its brave effect elsewhere. And unlike someone like Roy or Eliwood, you don't have to sacrifice your turn count or limit your formations and tactics to get those supports online.