Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Male or female MC?
Hmm...

Kinda want to play as the girl for the novelty, but the game itself said to pick the male one if I've never played Persona 3 before, which I haven't...
Hmm...
Hmmm....

Female I'm told is exclusive to Portable, with a few altered Social Links. FeMC is usually ignored in Persona spinoffs I think, because it was "Oooh FeMC!" when Persona Q2 added her.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Female I'm told is exclusive to Portable, with a few altered Social Links.

The game said that the female main character "changes the course of the story" and is recommended to those who have played Persona 3 before.
But if that's all it is, then I think I should be safe if I picked her.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Portable, huh.

I only have FES. No option for female protagonist, but it has that extra addition that continues the story.

I have heard that Portable is basically FES, just with a bit weaker presentation due to being on a handheld, and the option of a female protagonist.

Edited by DragonFlames

I picked the female, because why not? Also, I kinda like her design more than the male character.

Oh wow, the highest difficulty disables New Game Plus?
That's... a thing. XD

Obviously, I'm a scrub so I'm going with Normal.

7HfgZZK.png

How nice!

Edited by DragonFlames

To be fair, that's like the biggest highlight of Portable, so might as well.

Since if you played P3 before, then you know how things go with the male protagonist.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

To be fair, that's like the biggest highlight of Portable, so might as well.

Since if you played P3 before, then you know how things go with the male protagonist.

That's the thing: this is my first time playing Persona 3. XD

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

That's the thing: this is my first time playing Persona 3. XD

Like I said, female lead option is the big change in Portable, so might as well.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Though it is more archaic, I feel like FE12 is a modern game stuck in a classic game's body. Not to the extent like Shadow Dragon did but I don't feel like FE12's gameplay is as integrated with the classic structure as FE15. You know how people say Fire Emblem remakes are too faithful? There you go. Even 15, which did it the best, still feels like a modern game stuck in a classic game sometimes, though there is no reason to play FE2 outside of legacy reasons.

The sound design is also better. I prefer the classic renditions of FE3's songs over FE12's. Also the game just looks nicer. The DS Fire Emblem's are the ugliest games in the series. I won't talk about the graphics too much (though the sprites are bad, how do you mess up the sprites) but the art itself is just eugh imo. Three Houses also doesn't look that great (were it not for Sword and Shield existing, I'd say Three Houses is the ugliest first party Switch game) but it still has pretty neat artwork, which I can't say the same about DS FE.

Last thing, FE3 also does have an FE1 remake and despite it missing some chapters, that is the best version of FE1 imo. For the same reasons I just gave.

Fair enough. I disagree (I tried playing FE3 and it bored me to tears), but I can understand where you're coming from.

56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

were it not for Sword and Shield existing, I'd say Three Houses is the ugliest first party Switch game

Oh my God-- Everyone, stop the presses! Armagon and I agree about something! I mean, I do feel that Three Houses is the ugliest AAA Switch game period, because I can't stomach Pokemon enough to take a look at S&S - But still! Close enough!

Ah. I hadn't really read your opinions on the writing so I wasn't that sure.

I am a lot more vocal about my distaste for the gameplay than my opinions about the writing, to be fair. Mostly because I don't really care that much about the writing, whereas the gameplay drives me mad and makes me unable to finish Three Houses runs. The worst part is that there's plenty in Three Houses I genuinely like, but I cannot enjoy the game due to its titanic core flaws. Seriously, I actually enjoy the customization aspect. But with maps that last 15 minutes and are straightforward to a fault... Well, it's kinda wasted.

46 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Which is why FE as a series didn't fade into obscurity over time, imho.

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A part of me does think that FE would've died if Kaga remained at the helm. Or at the very least, it wouldn't have gotten as big as it is today.

TearRing Saga outsold FE6. Berwick Saga outsold Tellius in Japan.

Still, I do agree that FE probably wouldn't have grown as big as it is under Kaga. Kaga never seemed to intend for his games to be anything more than a niche series. He made the games as he wanted, and if the market didn't like it, then fuck the market. Under IntSys, FE has undergone changes that give it mainstream appeal. Like... You know, all the waifu bait, the oversexualization of most female characters, the awful, dating sim-like minigames and mechanics...

I mean, sorry if I sound too much like an elitist, but that's kinda what's made the game popular outside of small communities like ours, isn't it? If it wasn't, the subreddit's main page wouldn't be filled to the brim with horny fanart every single day.

...On a related note; Seriously, I find Three Houses's tea time to be positively creepy. The game literally gives you the option to stare at the character very intensely, accompanied with uncomfortable responses from them. Why?

27 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

qW8Bxoh.png

5e2ea03aa4963cda5e91d395c2587e6b.svg

Ayyyyy there ya go! You're now a certified Kaga Elitist! I hope you write a big post detailing your overall thoughts soon enough!

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Gotta say, I prefer FES' free roaming over Portable's point and click.

But mostly since I got so used to the former.

I'm used to point-and-click style cities from other games, so it's not a big deal for me.
But being able to roam freely was nice in P4G and P5, certainly!
If that's what you mean, which I assume it is.

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I hope you write a big post detailing your overall thoughts soon enough!

Tomorrow xD

I am tired and in need of ZZZ

I will write a TL;DR after fin screen though

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You're now a certified Kaga Elitist!

FE4 was my 2nd FE, that alone makes me a Kaga elitist, i think xD

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Just for that game.

I don't dislike point and click itself. Heck, I've played a few, like Broken Sword. I liked that game.

Ah, okay!
I haven't played any true point and click games myself, I must admit.

---

hFtQMGp.png

How very... er, friendly!

And then he just vanishes... yeah, that's not creepy at all!

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Heck, I've played a few, like Broken Sword. I liked that game.

I remember Broken Sword. I never finished it, because when I was a child I had a crippling fear of blood, and there was a little bit of blood in that game. But it's a good point-n-click.

To be honest, when I played it, also as a kid, it was the GBA version, which I think doesn't have blood. Or at least, the screen can't display it properly.

Anyway, I recently got some of those on Steam. Finished the first one again and tried out the second. Will get and try out the rest at some other point.

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh my God-- Everyone, stop the presses! Armagon and I agree about something! I mean, I do feel that Three Houses is the ugliest AAA Switch game period, because I can't stomach Pokemon enough to take a look at S&S - But still! Close enough!

And apparently still has really bad framerate for some reason.
As for Sword & Shield, never heard anything about how well it runs but... I tried the Let's Go demo and it just felt so awful. Not sure if it was even the framerate, but everything felt like it had such a delay to it. It just wasn't a fun game to control.

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

And apparently still has really bad framerate for some reason.

Can confirm. Every battle in Three Houses drops the FPS to like 20, because the devs didn't have the good sense to not spam particle effects that don't even look good. Don't get me wrong, FPS on a strategy game are mostly irrelevant, but it's still rather pathetic that they implemented a 30 FPS cap to avoid frame drops... and yet the game still suffers frequent frame drops.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Can confirm. Every battle in Three Houses drops the FPS to like 20, because the devs didn't have the good sense to not spam particle effects that don't even look good. Don't get me wrong, FPS on a strategy game are mostly irrelevant, but it's still rather pathetic that they implemented a 30 FPS cap to avoid frame drops... and yet the game still suffers frequent frame drops.

The frame drops don't bother me too much, (really, the only part of the animations that bothers me are the battalions) and I usually just skip enemy phase.

You know, TH really needed a player phase skip button as well.

Speaking of: On chapter 16 of VW, (The bridge assault one) did you happen to encounter ambush spawns next to Ferdinand? 'Cause I haven't seen anyone else who has, but it certainly happened to me. (It was really weird too-Ferdinand attacked, a second paladin attacked, THEN the reinforcements showed up and moved.)

Honestly, framerate drops during sequences where the player doesn't even have any sort of control is just asinine. Optimizing the framerate during parts where player input isn't a concern should be pretty easy by comparison. At least on console.

Edited by BrightBow

Hm...I wanna play something right now, but I don't know what. Not really in the mood for Trails or Shadow Dragon... Anyone got some suggestions?