Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Benice said:

For the two seconds you have to listen to it, yes.

Oof.

Just now, Benice said:

Yeah, FE6 is rather drab overall. The westen isles theme is really great, but 'das about it.

I was especially miffed that the map theme that plays in the very first map still played in, like, Chapter 21.
That theme got old by the time I got to the castle in the Prologue. XD

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, DragonFlames said:

I was especially miffed that the map theme that plays in the very first map still played in, like, Chapter 21.
That theme got old by the time I got to the castle in the Prologue. XD

Yep. It's not an awful theme, (not great) but it plays so frequently. Fortunately, Echoes games were good at improving presentation and story. I hope they modify the worse maps and gaiden requirements as well. Making the Legendary weapons regenerate uses would be nice as well.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

FE6's is factually the hardest because you might fall asleep after every turn.

Can't fall asleep if you beat it in one turn haha gottem ggs.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, FE is rather drab overall.

Fixed it. Maybe it's a hot take but Fire Emblem did not have a consistently good soundtrack until Awakening.

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yep. It's not an awful theme, (not great) but it plays so frequently. Fortunately, Echoes games were good at improving presentation and story. I hope they modify the worse maps and gaiden requirements as well. Making the Legendary weapons regenerate uses would be nice as well.

Oh yeah. That would be really, really nice!

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fixed it. Maybe it's a hot take but Fire Emblem did not have a consistently good soundtrack until Awakening.

Radiant Dawn, I'd say has a really consistently good soundtrack, too.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If we are gonna go by FE6 tracks..

I actually like the normal battle theme quite a bit

that's it xD

Which one was that again? XD

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Can't fall asleep if you beat it in one turn haha gottem ggs.

Ah, I meant ch. 24, I guess.

Eh... FE4 has a great soundtrack overall IMO, (as someone who strongly dislikes FE4) and FE10 has quite the nice soundtrack, but I would agree. (Maybe FE5 as well, but most people probably haven't heard it over the sound of their own screaming.)

Also, hot take: Fodlan winds isn't a very good theme. Overall, I'd say that TH's soundtrack is okay but not great. I think its biggest problems are

• Fodlan winds suffering from Roy's Journey syndrome of being overplayed and being merely mediocre,
  • The map themes are far too dramatic for what's going on for the most part. They sort of just end up feeling rather...Well, numb? Part of the reason Clouds of War is so hype in Berwick Saga is because it is reserved for the most important and momentous maps. Same with Crusade. In TH thus far, the epic music is kind of lost amidst the sea of other songs with similar tone. Probably just me, though.

FE4, 5, and 10 have pretty good OSTs. Awakening's was also pretty good, but Echoes is the undisputed best.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Radiant Dawn, I'd say has a really consistently good soundtrack, too.

Agree on this. And they actually have alot of different battle themes that arent just the Map theme remixed.

Edit: also agree on FE4/5

Edited by lightcosmo

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Fodlan winds suffering from Roy's Journey syndrome of being overplayed and being merely mediocre,

At least Fodlan Winds has some drive behind it. Roy's Departure is just three chords with an incredibly repetitive melody that gets grating in the span of one chapter, but then it's stretched out for 8 in a row. 

Also, 3H is pretty good compositionally, but my god does it overuse drums. Especially in the Thunder themes. Those are barely listenable.

Just now, Spara said:

At least Fodlan Winds has some drive behind it. Roy's Departure is just three chords with an incredibly repetitive melody that gets grating in the span of one chapter, but then it's stretched out for 8 in a row. 

Oh, definitely. It suffers less than the FE6's repetetiveness, but it suffers regardless.

Then again, I have an extremely hard time finding good things to say about games I don't enjoy, so maybe it's just that.

2 minutes ago, Spara said:

Especially in the Thunder themes. Those are barely listenable.

When do those play, actually? I don't think I've listened to any of them yet.

In Xenoblade X talk, I don't mind having to go to each party member individually to add them to the party instead of having everyone just be in a reserve. It's a mild inconvenience. What I do mind is that inactive party members don't receive EXP which feels so backwards for a JRPG that released in 2015. In fact, I think it's the one Xeno game where inactive party members don't get EXP.

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Eh... FE4 has a great soundtrack overall IMO,

I remember liking Eldigan the Lionheart a lot but that's it.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

When it zooms in on the combat. If you're playing with animations off, you won't hear it.

Every FE post-Awakening does this, except Echoes, the one modern title to have separate themes for map and battle.

Just now, Benice said:

They're the versions of the map themes that play during animations. Most of them lower/get rid of much of the melody and just go hard with drums. It's pretty bad.

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

Part of the reason Clouds of War is so hype in Berwick Saga is because it is reserved for the most important and momentous maps. Same with Crusade.

Also, yeah, when you hear Clouds of War you know it's a big conflict, and you feel the tension the moment you hear that minor organ opening to Crusade. 

1 minute ago, Spara said:

They're the versions of the map themes that play during animations. Most of them lower/get rid of much of the melody and just go hard with drums. It's pretty bad.

It's at it's worse with the Endgame themes. The Thunder versions of Apex of the World and God-Shattering Star completely ditch the vocals and the songs become worse as a result.

I remember liking Eldigan the Lionheart a lot but that's it.

I mean, you spend most of the game with the emulator speed up button whether you like it or not probably.

Speaking of soundtracks...

Listen to this at 3/4 speed for an hour and a half and you know what I feel like right now.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

“Don’t speak her name!”

The original version of that track is downright amazing. The Premium Arrange version I have problems with - the loud electric, rock-ish guitar doesn't really fit the somber mood, and it overshadows the piano solo. 

3 minutes ago, Spara said:

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

When it zooms in on the combat. If you're playing with animations off, you won't hear it.

Ah, thanks! I usually just skip enemy phase, player phase needs an option to be skipped as well in this game,  so I haven't heard much of it. I also am usually biking, (on a stationary bike) while I play TH, so I don't always hear the music super well and usually have it turned up for the first couple turns if there's a different map theme.

From the GBA games i like FE8 OST alot

Otherwise i only like selected Tracks from FE6/7.  Just like i barely like anything from the games themselves

Edited by Shrimperor

I barely even remember the GBA tracks.
I know the annoying map theme from FE6, the Idoun battle theme, the player phase theme from FE7 (due to the awesome remix it got in Brawl), and the Four Fang battle theme... and that's about all I really remember about GBA FE's music. Although with the exception of the annoying map theme, it's at the very least music I liked in those games.

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

The map themes are far too dramatic for what's going on for the most part. They sort of just end up feeling rather...Well, numb? Part of the reason Clouds of War is so hype in Berwick Saga is because it is reserved for the most important and momentous maps.

I think this concept is why I love The Wind Blows. It plays on such a cool map and really emphasizes the search for something legendary, and the imagination that comes with it. Plus, it's got that rhythmic style akin to Fellow Soldier and Warrior's Respite from Vestaria. Those tracks are awesome.