• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I'm on the final chapter of Xenoblade. Hooray! It's been a while since I've seen the lategame scenes so I'll muse about them for a bit.

Spoiler

Once the party reaches the Mechonis, Shulk stops having visions but can still tell the future, which seems to indicate that Shulk's powers are growing beyond what Zanza's Monado gives him. This previous visions were probably enabled by Zanza, but did Zanza pick and choose what future events Shulk saw? Later on the the Monado zaps him, which Shulk believes is unrelated to the Apocrypha. Since we get a flashback to Egil referring to Shulk as Zanza before he says this, this was probably Zanza's way of warning Shulk to not stray from the path he wants.

Anyway, after their battle Shulk uses talk no jutsu on Egil and he has a change of heart. On one hand, Egil rejects Meyneth for not siding with him and seems to brag about how many people he's killed (then again, controlling the Mechonis might've made him drunk with power, and he thinks he's talking to Zanza). On the other hand, he has no personal grievances against the people of Bionis and his vengeance is entirely focused on Zanza. Since he initially thinks that Shulk is Zanza, Shulk sparing him is so unlike Zanza that Egil is convinced that he and Shulk can work together to stop Zanza for good. I've been thinking about how Egil's redemption is handled but overall it isn't too jarring, since he concedes that his methods were wrong and sacrifices himself to aid the heroes.

Lastly, from what I can tell Alvis is on Shulk's side all along, but his nature as an AI means that he can't oppose Zanza directly, nor can he just remove his god powers without someone replacing him. Now obviously the Aegises didn't exist when XC1 was written, but I think they worked it into Alvis's true nature pretty well since Malos basically does the same thing by attaching himself to Jin's will as a way to break from Amalthus's influence. They needed a way to explain Alvis's existence when XC2 was tied to Klaus's experiment, and making him an Aegis was a neat way of doing that (assuming that Pneuma and Logos were intended to be involved in the experiment before Ontos was added to the equation).

Edited by Lightchao42

2 hours ago, Caster said:

I've played Majora's Mask a lot and even the tiny physics changes would likely throw me off and make me have a worse time because I absolutely would notice. Kinda the same reason why I'm having a harder time playing rehydrated, I've played Bfbb a lot and it definitely throws me off when things feel different.

Understandable. Being used to something so much and then playing something where things are slightly different but enough for you to notice can be a factor in whether or not you enjoy something.

I'm the kind of person that can't detect tiny physics changes unless you showed it to me side by side so i never had the issue of playing a game and then playing a remake where it plays slightly different. But i can understand.

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Seriously, that boss fight was insultingly easy.

Yep, that boss is like that. Majora's Mask bosses generally are pretty easy, except for the final boss but only if you choose to not use the Fierce Diety Mask. And Twinmold but Twinmold is more of an annoyance than a challenge.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'm on the final chapter of Xenoblade. Hooray! It's been a while since I've seen the lategame scenes so I'll muse about them for a bit.

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Lastly, from what I can tell Alvis is on Shulk's side all along, but his nature as an AI means that he can't oppose Zanza directly, nor can he just remove his god powers without someone replacing him.

I don't think Alvis was neccisarily on Shulk's side. His original role was to be the neutral mediator between Logos and Pneuma. Alvis isn't trying to find a compromise in Xenoblade 1 but considering he helps Shulk while also being Zanza's disciple, it's likely that this was Alvis simply seeing who'd win in the end. His nature as Ontos prevents him from truly forging an alliance with someone.

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hide contents

I don't think Alvis was neccisarily on Shulk's side. His original role was to be the neutral mediator between Logos and Pneuma. Alvis isn't trying to find a compromise in Xenoblade 1 but considering he helps Shulk while also being Zanza's disciple, it's likely that this was Alvis simply seeing who'd win in the end. His nature as Ontos prevents him from truly forging an alliance with someone.

I'm not sure this is the case.

Spoiler

Quoth The Secret Files: "At the beginning of the new universe, [Alvis] became the supreme consciousness and basis of the world, calling himself "Monado." As the entity managing and granting the existence of gods such as Zanza and Meyneth, he uses the passage of fate to guide this doomed world towards a new existence. He is searching for a new god, one he can trust to liberate this stagnant world, and create a new world teeming with new forms of life." So it seems that Alvis does want Shulk to succeed against Zanza, even if he doesn't help him directly.

We also don't know if the names of the Trinity Processor correspond to their functions if we take the Architect's statement that their names "have no meaning" literally. The symbolism was probably intentional out-of-universe, but in-universe they were likely given names that sounded cool (hence "all it represents is the ego of those who named you"). They also have Biblical passages associated with them for no apparent reason, after all. Even if they do have meaning, it wasn't established when XC1 was written, so it wouldn't have any bearing on Alvis's nature.

Edited by Lightchao42

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Once the party reaches the Mechonis, Shulk stops having visions but can still tell the future, which seems to indicate that Shulk's powers are growing beyond what Zanza's Monado gives him. This previous visions were probably enabled by Zanza, but did Zanza pick and choose what future events Shulk saw? Later on the the Monado zaps him, which Shulk believes is unrelated to the Apocrypha. Since we get a flashback to Egil referring to Shulk as Zanza before he says this, this was probably Zanza's way of warning Shulk to not stray from the path he wants.

Anyway, after their battle Shulk uses talk no jutsu on Egil and he has a change of heart. On one hand, Egil rejects Meyneth for not siding with him and seems to brag about how many people he's killed (then again, controlling the Mechonis might've made him drunk with power, and he thinks he's talking to Zanza). On the other hand, he has no personal grievances against the people of Bionis and his vengeance is entirely focused on Zanza. Since he initially thinks that Shulk is Zanza, Shulk sparing him is so unlike Zanza that Egil is convinced that he and Shulk can work together to stop Zanza for good. I've been thinking about how Egil's redemption is handled but overall it isn't too jarring, since he concedes that his methods were wrong and sacrifices himself to aid the heroes.

Lastly, from what I can tell Alvis is on Shulk's side all along, but his nature as an AI means that he can't oppose Zanza directly, nor can he just remove his god powers without someone replacing him. Now obviously the Aegises didn't exist when XC1 was written, but I think they worked it into Alvis's true nature pretty well since Malos basically does the same thing by attaching himself to Jin's will as a way to break from Amalthus's influence. They needed a way to explain Alvis's existence when XC2 was tied to Klaus's experiment, and making him an Aegis was a neat way of doing that (assuming that Pneuma and Logos were intended to be involved in the experiment before Ontos was added to the equation).

Sorry I'm late, but congratulations on getting to the ending... finally!

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Reveal hidden contents

I was not expecting this arc to take place during Valentine's Day and now this is the most invested i've been in a Valentine's Day arc in any romcom/slice-of-life.

I refuse to believe Falcom has official merchandising with the words "bruh" in it.

Did not expect Jin to be at the top of your personality rankings. Interesting. 

He's a fantastic villain in the maingame.

So much I was happy to have him playable in Torna.

In general Xenoblade 2 belongs to the games with the best villains if not the best one.

I'm not sure this is the case.

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

However, the stuff written in The Secret Files was written before Xenoblade 2. So we should take note that what was written before may not all apply now. I said Alvis could've been neutral all along based on Xenoblade 2 knowledge.

Hopefully Takahashi clears up some stuff later down the line.

10 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

He's a fantastic villain in the maingame.

He really is. Him and Malos are among the series best villains.

The other Torna members are more hit or miss though. Unfortunate but you can't win 'em all.

I mean Torna's cast was not as remarkable as the maingame's one, but there was no one I really disliked.

As for 1's extra game I have to say I do really like the new character despite it has been only the Nopons yet.

Nene and Kino are really adoarbale siblings.

Okay, got the Magic Key and Flying Carpet at Lofty Peak, and talked with the elders. Also bought a Dragon Shield for my Golem, to give it even more breath protection. More since I gave it the Hela's Armour too. Seems I was wrong, cursed equipment can be removed freely. I guess I was mixing it up with another DQ game... or other game series even. Anyway, now I have the Magic Key, first went around opening the red doors... and, well, it was a very mixed bag. Half was stuff suited for the early game which makes one wonder why they were placed behind the doors this late, while the other was thankfully decent to good. Like the Meteorite Bracer. Double agility, oh yeah! Now the game is back to being a little vague over where to go next. I suppose it's finding Zenithia, which from all that's been learnt from NPC's, it's clear that is near Lofty Peak, except the cave likely to reach it is blocked off. Well, thanks to more NPC talks, it's either the Stairway to Zenithia or the Neverglade. Well, I suppose I'll go for the Stairway first. Mostly since I know it saves me a trip later on. That will be for next time, though.

Sometimes I wonder how can one need to consult a guide for these things... the NPC's aren't there to just be looked that! They tell you most if not all you need to know...

---

Ah, I just remembered. I was mixing it up with Golden Sun. Since those games also have the same "Priest NPCs who remove poison, curses, and revive in exchange of money" mechanic, and over there cursed equipment couldn't be removed at will so you had to use those services. Wouldn't be surprised if they took it straight from Dragon Quest.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

*The clanking of bottles can be heard as Wraith enters the empty room*

Hello? Twilitfalchion? DragonFlames? Anyone home? Oh damn to the depths these massive differences in time between countries! Well, it's 8:30 A.M. here, time to drink... 

*Wraith takes a swig from a nearly empty whiskey bottle as he leaves the room. The sound of clanking bottles slowly fades away in the distant.*

Edited by Wraith

6 hours ago, Caster said:

why am i playing the last promise in 2020 for my friends

Because your friends want you to experience the hack that became a meme for yourself.

---

So... Fate Extella confirmed that there is a single character in the Nasuverse who can match Gilgamesh in raw power, and it's Karna.
This raised a question in my head: how crazy is the Fate community about power level discussions? Because I imagine very much so.

This is a battle theme, technically not the original version (as title says: arranged).

It's played only twice in Sky 3rd, but against the strongest and most remarkable enemies in the Sky series (although one of them is not exactly an enemy).

I played Last Promise before Sky, so I did not know what "crime" Last Promise did here.

I don't want to go into details not to let out all my despise towards this hack.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

KdFWC32y5dGTpDq2_zt5z1tu_-PDssqt5Qm2fvVo

Judging from this, it is pretty crazy. XD

As an interesting side note, in the Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh actually rejected Ishtar, who then proceeded to throw a hissy-fit.

6 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

I played Last Promise before Sky, so I did not know what "crime" Last Promise did here.

I don't want to go into details not to let out all my despise towards this hack.

I haven't actually played Last Promise myself. I just saw a video on it a while back and heard it was pretty memetastic.

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I haven't actually played Last Promise myself. I just saw a video on it a while back and heard it was pretty memetastic.

I did a LP of this some years ago.

When I say it was even less enjoyable than Gheb FE, then it says all.

1 minute ago, Falcom Knight said:

I did a LP of this some years ago.

When I say it was even less enjoyable than Gheb FE, then it says all.

Gheb FE is another meme hack, I presume? I've never heard of it, to be honest. I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to fanmade stuff for some reason.
Though honestly, the Gheb meme isn't funny at all.

It's a memehack in its worst.

Dialogues for the rubbish pin, that's how to describe this hack.

At least Michael Jackson has been revived in this.

Though I have to say gameplaywise it had a little bit to offer at least unlike Last Promise.

This had a capturing mechanic which was really fun and made this hack somewhat tolerable....... till a bug crashed the game.

If you don't care for plot (as I do), then you gain a little bit from this hack, otherwise ignore it!

Edited by Falcom Knight

4 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

It's a memehack in its worst.

Dialogues for the rubbish pin, that's how to describe this hack.

At least Michael Jackson has been revived in this.

Though I have to say gameplaywise it had a little bit to offer at least unlike Last Promise.

This had a capturing mechanic which was really fun and made this hack somewhat tolerable....... till a bug crashed the game.

If you don't care for plot (as I do), then you gain a little bit from this hack, otherwise ignore it!

Thanks for explaining!
I think I'll steer clear of that one, since I do care about the story in a game.

---

I got started on Umu Arc 2. All of Nero's talk about Rome and Praetors brought back memories of this gem:

XD

8 hours ago, Armagon said:
The other Torna members are more hit or miss though. Unfortunate but you can't win 'em all.

Really? I actually feel like it's the other way around, and the main XC2 cast is a bit lacking.