• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I love Fate a lot for it's strong character design, writing, and a lot of amazing moments it has in it.
I know the historical/fictional servants can be a bit weird but there are so many amazing and cool characters in the series I enjoy, and despite the wackiness, they know how to write really emotional and touching scenes that can make me cry.

38 minutes ago, Caster said:

I love Fate a lot for it's strong character design, writing, and a lot of amazing moments it has in it.
I know the historical/fictional servants can be a bit weird but there are so many amazing and cool characters in the series I enjoy, and despite the wackiness, they know how to write really emotional and touching scenes that can make me cry.

*Swigs more whiskey*
...What? The man is not wrong.

*Swigs more whiskey*

Edited by Wraith

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

So, while I am willing to give these books a shot, I don't know if it will be soon. I'll keep it in the back of my head, though. Thanks for the recommendation!

Neat. As an FYI, if you ever decide to read these books, the order is: Percy Jackson series -> Heroes of Olympus series. The Kane Chronicles, despite being in the same universe, is it's own thing and can be read at any point. There's also the Magnus Chase (protagonist of this one is the cousin of one of the main characters of PJ and HoO) and Apollo books but i don't know where these fall into the timeline. @Lightchao42 may know.

I haven't read these books in a long-ass time. I never read the finale to Heroes of Olympus as well as the stuff that came after and though i plan on that soon, i'll be starting from the very beginning to refresh my memory.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, can't wait for Fairy Tail.

Huh. Didn't think anybody would be interested in that.

I like Fairy Tail myself (i am well aware of the glaring flaws the series has but the likable characters save it for me) but i don't really feel like buying the game and if that's Gust's only new game this year, imma be upset.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

btw @Armagon i think you should read the ''We want to talk about Kaguya'' spin-off as well since it's canon

I'll check it out. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Hajimari confirmed to have Altina bath VR event

395627468276367370.png?v=1

Falcom....

20190907_003636.jpg?width=412&height=431

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Huh. Didn't think anybody would be interested in that.

I like Fairy Tail myself (i am well aware of the glaring flaws the series has but the likable characters save it for me) but i don't really feel like buying the game and if that's Gust's only new game this year, imma be upset.

I can't remember many other upcoming games that have my attention. The only other one coming to me off the top of my head is Alicization Lycoris. And I happen to like RPGs.

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Neat. As an FYI, if you ever decide to read these books, the order is: Percy Jackson series -> Heroes of Olympus series. The Kane Chronicles, despite being in the same universe, is it's own thing and can be read at any point. There's also the Magnus Chase (protagonist of this one is the cousin of one of the main characters of PJ and HoO) and Apollo books but i don't know where these fall into the timeline. @Lightchao42 may know.

The Trials of Apollo series is a direct sequel to The Heroes of Olympus, and its final book will release later this year. Magnus Chase is its own thing but is set around the same time as Trials of Apollo. The three Greek series each consist of five books while KC and MC each have three books. There are also several spinoff books including a Percy Jackson/Kane Chronicles crossover, but these aren't required reading even if some stories in them are acknowledged in the main books.

In Xenoblade news, I didn't have as much trouble with everyone's favorite boss as I expected to, though I had to get my party up to level 75 after losing a few times. I didn't have any problems with the poison at any rate.

30 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

In Xenoblade news, I didn't have as much trouble with everyone's favorite boss as I expected to, though I had to get my party up to level 75 after losing a few times. I didn't have any problems with the poison at any rate.

You'll pay for your insolence? If that's what you mean, then that boss battle isnt bad at all.

Serious moment: Kayne West has decided to run for the 2020 Presidency halfway through the year and i just know that there will be people voting for him, whether it be as a joke or unironic. I swear to God, if this ends up giving Trump the win.....

In happier news, i have completed XenoblaDE. I'll be writing my full thoughts later.

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Since i did some of the lategame quests via Casual Mode, i was able to amass enough EXP to overlevel myself for that fight. Didn't feel like dealing with her.

But Dragon King Alcar in the next area was still as bad as i remember him being.

On 7/3/2020 at 6:40 PM, Armagon said:

Real talk though, I think the Xenoblade theme is the coolest theme Tetris 99 has had and I'm not saying that out of bias. I don't really play it though, I'm more of a Puyo-Puyo guy.

Didn't realize you cared for this kind of fast-paced puzzling.

I've never played a Puyo game, I think I should fix that but not Kirby's Avalanche. I remember reading an article on the GBA one in Nintendo Power a few centuries ago, I remember it read like that game had each of its different characters possessing a distinctive fixed puyo shape drop sequence.

I've seen pretty positive reviews for Mr. Driller: Drill Land on that note in the past few days. Seems like a similar-ish type of puzzle game, albeit one where you're trying to avoid the falling blocks. I might consider trying it whenever it goes on sale.

20 hours ago, Armagon said:

Of course, even the Bionis' Shoulder is only a slice compared to how big Xenoblade X's areas are.

And yet, they can feel small at times. There are merely five regions + NLA. By contrast for XC1 and 2 we've (SPOILERS for both games):

Spoiler

XC1:

1. Colony 9 (town + surrounding environment, so it's sorta two things)
  2. Tephra Cave
  3. Bionis's Leg + Colony 6 (the two should be lumped together)
  4. Ether Mine My Brain And Extract All Memory of The Central Pit
  5. Satorl Marsh
  6. Makna Woods
  7. Frontier Village (it's big enough I'll count it separately from Makna)
  8. Eryth Sea
  9. Alcamoth
  10. High Ennui Tomb (and Alcamoth is a little weak too)
  11. Valak Mountains
  12. Sword Valley
  13. Gala-had Monolith Eschewed This Fortress, Nothing of Value Would've Been Lost
  14. The Fallen Arm
  15. Mechonis Field
  16. Central Filler Factory 
  17. Agniratha + Mechonis Core of Plot Stuff
  18. Bionis's Inferior Interior (I remember it was pretty linear and rather small by XC1 standards despite the neat aesthetic)
  19. Prison Island + Memory Space + Sentient Genesis

XC2:

1. Argentum
  2. The Tornan Tomb
  3. Gormott + Torigoth (and the so-so Mor Ardain ship)
  4. Uraya + Fonsa Myma
  5. Mor Ardain + Alba Cavanich (and that bothersome warehouse)
  6. Leftherian Archipelago
  7. Itty-Bitty Indol
  8. Judicium (which is barely mandatory in its visit)
  9. Tantal + Theosoir
  10. Spirit Crucify Me, Elpis Means "Hope" in Greek And This Place Makes Me Want to Despair
  11. Cliffs of Morytha
  12. "What? Is this NLA?"- Me at first seeing this place.
  13. Seikaiju no Meikyuu Zenobureido
  14. Finally, "Elysium"

So, more places. They are smaller, this is true, and some as I implied are kinda bleh and or not big enough to count on their own. But they do provide more variety to an extent.

XCX does have distinctive sub-regions in every region, southern and northern Noctilum as an example. But XC1 and 2 have sub-regions too, one can readily divide Uraya into the front half + Garfont and the back half and Fonsa Myma, even Tephra Cave isn't the same scenery throughout either.

Mira's extra size is maybe somewhat "wasted" on being gargantuan. Things are taller and wider than the other two games, so the spare real estate doesn't inherently equate to more variety.

And then Skells and flight come along, and the world shrinks away.

-This is being said by someone who is unhappy that only four chapters into a second run and they've nearly finished probing Primordia though.

---

To continue my playlog on that sounding...

I did Elma's first Affinity Mission, a little ironic it's doable from the start, because her second was the thing I saved for very last on Miran Survey, and its two level 70 Sphinxes are the strongest Affinity Mission enemies around. She ends the mission on, I'm paraphrasing, "If you want to know a person's past, you have to earn it", yeah, thats true of Elma alright. Doug alluded to her tandem piloting with *interrupted by Irina emergency before he can say the Lone Hero's name*. Yet assuming the "mysterious black Skell" that saved Alexa was the original Ares, I don't know if Doug knows about the Ares, was there an alternative tandem Skell.

I skipped H.B., Yelv, and Lin's first AfM, turns out I misread things and I'd have to visit non-Primordia regions, I wasn't in the mood for that yet. When I did Elma's above, wandering around en route, one of the rock domes with a lake beneath it had a treasure chest on a pillar in the middle of the water. Although the easy option would be to wait until Skells, I noticed a hole in the dome right above the pillar. XCX is very generous with being able to go up inclined slopes, so I jumped onto the dome and painstakingly aimed to land on the pillar, took me only two tries, treasure acquired.

After this, I spent some Miranium upgrading the Arms Manufacturers again, got Gwin after needing to bench him for Elma's AfM, and started Chapter 4. I picked "Something Broiled" for that cooking slice-of-life sketch that precedes every Story Mission from here on out, and then it was down to business with Vandham again over the old electronic display table, I like these moments.

It was off to the Green Threshold now, I took a pleasure stroll there and deviated to set up a probe at Lake Biahno I hadn't done earlier b/c Mechanical was too low. I butchered the puny level 11 Suid Tyrant Megatonne, the Hell Express because it was right on the road. Passing by Biahno River, I noticed a small Papil (butterfly-ish) Tyrant buzzing over the open water- Caranau, the Water Drake. It was so far into the water I'd be swimming if I went up to it, and going to the very edge of the shallows I couldn't reach it even with my Raygun. I thought "C'mon, it's level 10 if it's so weak I shouldn't need a Skell. Could something have more range than a Raygun? Hmm... a Sniper Rifle!"

What a coincidence that Lao was two minutes away, was this intentional? I met up with him for his first in-person appearance, no So Nah, So Fern was sad I like that piece more than Lao himself. He named Elma's newly dead former partners, it had to be pretty recent, maybe right before Cross's awakening? Though since BLADE Tower is at 55% now, that mean officially a ~week has passed since the game's start, and Lao hasn't seen Elma in all that time. I would like to know more about Elma's former companions, what kind of people would earn her trust to the point of being on her team? Nothing says X2 can't bring them out of the Lifehold, and I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Lao wants to shirk the paperwork of his current job and come along, but you don't have to bring him with you. It's weird to see him become recruitable at the start of the chapter, but I won't say no. I'm mixed on Lao and whats with the "conflicting emotions" described in his Affinity Chart entry? I'm uncertain about one thing about him at this moment, though I have an inclination on the matter. I take off Gwin and bring on Lao, he fits the team well. For the sake of refreshment, I switch from my Cross named Delphemis to Lao to play some Partisan Eagle. He comes with only four Arts to start, and Javelin is technically inferior from an optimization perspective, but I don't care. I turn back to Caranau and draw the Sniper Rifle, lo I see at the water's extreme wading limit that I can fire his yellow Arts, one shot summons the winds of December and the Water Drake flies my way, yay! Dead before I knew it.

I return to NLA to invest some Miranium in an AM again and buy Lao one of those Ether Sniper Rifles Sakuraba said they're selling, it's better than Physical. Beam ones are available too, but I think Ether is effective on Theroids and Humanoids alike, while Beam is more effective but solely effective on Humanoids, it's no biggie, as long as it isn't Physical. I got the collectibles required for a Standard Mission too, so I revisited its giver to wrap up the quest- I promise to torture them later no I'm not doing that again. While in the Commercial District for it, I noticed an elderly blue Nopon I could talk to in town, very weird because there weren't any other Nopon around, they aren't supposed migrate to NLA until you complete the Affinity Mission where you meet Tatsu's mom Koko.

I traveled then to the Biahno Grassland Base Camp near the Green Threshold to adjust the time of day to the very start of night just before entering Noctilum for the first time, because I wanted to replicate this:

latest?cb=20150825005402

one of my favorite wallpapers.

Noctilum is sweet, I love it. i critiqued Mira above, but I do find it beautiful, I just want for more.

Not so sweet was descending down the entry ramp and seeing level 30+ Diluses with sight aggression not far away, resting in and by the pools. This part of Noctilum is compact, so that isn't surprising, I could work around it. The red acidic water drain your HP very slowly, so it's no problem either.

What is a problem is the mini-map. The contours of the jungle's canopy are all over it, preventing the map from showing the actual geography below and thereby rendering it defunct. I got disoriented and lost my way going in circles, it's happened before with me here, though I concede losing one's bearings is a sign of immersion.  

Eventually I made it to the Bloodpond Basin Base Camp, and some NPCs spoke there of a road to the west and a cave nearby, saying the cave as the safer way to go. There was an east path too, but level 40 enemies say "wrong direction!". I went into the Whale's Nostrils, and after opening a treasure chest, encountered the Mephite (skunk) Tyrant Gerhardt, the Lone and Proud, which is wrong because it has goons. It's level 12, but a strong level 12 and I fled for my life in face of imminent defeat. Returning to the cave and going around its spawn point, I continued on. On finding two exits, I picked the narrower one and emerged at my first scenic viewpoint- Yagami's Vista. The beauty of the moment was ruined because a level 36 Mortifole popped up and I ran away. Turned out that if I had taken the west path earlier, I would've seen an optional scene just telling you to find a way to the nearby Lifehold site, because it's very close, but you can't reach it except via heading north of it and then turn back south along a narrow bridge which the camera pans to. It's an easily missable bridge I think, you could get confused and wind up in northern Noctilum.

After this, I went down the west path just to explore it. I slew the small and level 13 Aria, the Zauberflote Saltat Tyrant. I then tried Oskar, the Summer Squall within immediate eyesight, but unsurprisingly, it killed me. The Aprica Tyrant is a case of "size matters", it being level 11 was not so relevant. I saw a probe site nearby, with some level 30+ enemies surrounding it. After a delay in thought, I swapped to Elma to Shadowrunner to get FrontierNav up here, but she didn't have 1000 TP at the moment and I forgot Blood Sacrifice exists, so after swapping to her and slaughtering some weaklings to get 1000 TP, I carefully swam back to the probe spot, avoiding the Diluses. But I did not notice this dude:

latest?cb=20160521193653

Who sprung out of nowhere like Jaws on meth and killed me- Sarcosuchus, the Iron Eater. I tried to swim to the probe again, more careful this time, and I avoided it, Shadowrunnered, installed the probe, and got out without a hitch.

I then returned to Yagami's Vista, walking along the very edge of the cliff which kept the Mortifoles quiet. The cliff jutted out at a point, giving me a perfect view of that. As I was getting hungry, I saved my game and leaped off the cliff in a near-first-person zoomed-in view to give myself to its embrace, for old time's sake. I powered down the system and powered up myself on the other half of my Mira-sized calzone from yesterday with a freshly baked crust, stretchy mozzarella, creamy ricotta, sausage for substance, and marinara sauce on the side.

Vanquishing Italy's answer to the global food item generically known as a pocket-pie, I immediately got back to vanquishing Chapter 4. I reentered the Whale's Nostrils cave and took the wide exit I hadn't before. Continuing on from there, I planted another probe after a half-dozen Mortifoles at my level popped out of hiding. I remember this spot because it's very optimal in the grind to make Arts: TP/GP Gain- one Phoenix Wings use can reap you several of the feathers you need many of for those Augments.

What followed down the road ahead was Alfombra, the Transcendent, a level 14 Tectinsula Tyrant. Its location and hidden reminds me how I must've slain it 10 times or more on my first playthrough, thankfully it's a cinch to do it again. Once I figured out where I turn back to go the Silent Spring, I met L'cirufe, opting in the flavor choice to hide behind Lin as he approached for laughs. I was expecting her to chide me, she cheerfully said she would defend me- disappointment, but she is a Shield Trooper, protecting people is her job.

L said "we have been here since antiquity" like the Nopon. L's use of "we" is in the "royal We" sense, emphasize his quirkiness, he has no species that we know of. At the end of this chapter, L says he has been here since "days of yore". How old is L? Considering his scrapped satanic designs and one being labeled "origin form", there is a yoctogram of a possibility he's foreshadowing a future day when he shifts into to Origin Form and reveals "That blue jovial oddball form I took was to work my way into your group without being suspect. This is my true form, I've waited for hundreds of thousands of years for humanity's predestined visit to Mira, now let's talk about spoilery and revelatory yadda yadda yadda".

L tags along to see the Lifehold unit, but doesn't join yet, not until Chapter 4 is done. I fight yet another near-unavoidable Tyrant, the level 15 Insidia- Lambert, the Divine Wind, another who bites the dust without the faintest threat. I reach the one destination of this chapter at last and fight the battle and then boss battle that happen there. I thought that on my first run that this fight took a few tries and was hard, it was very easy this time. I swapped back to my Delphemis after using Lao the entire time in Noctilum, Full Specs into Secondary Cooldowned Beam Barrage and Ether Blast shredded the enemies HP. The boss was level 16 and I matched it exactly, so I may have been overleveled. I did pick a lot of strictly unnecessary fights coming here. Lao started at Class Rank 3 and by this chapter's end hit 9. Cross is a rank 6 Psycorruptor, over halfway to becoming Mastermind and thats impressive to me. Elma and Lin have reached Class Ranks 16 and 15 and have learned all their Arts and are missing but a few Skills. 

With victory, I warped to Blade Tower to debrief Vandham, Chausson, and Nagi on what happened, and noticing my Gamepad's low energy light was on, saved when prompted to and then saved again for good measure. Chapter 4 was over and a crispy lobster tail filled to the seams with whipped cream awaited me.

Yeah, that's about the point I stopped at... and never continued for the moment. I think I got more or less distracted hunting down the fake lobster things before starting Chapter 5... and that was that.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, so much to having just one TLtP thread.

So much for that

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

In happier news, i have completed XenoblaDE. I'll be writing my full thoughts later.

Congrats!

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

9ZaQYVx.png

I don't know why and especially how the other thread could be revived, but I changed this one back to its origin name.

It doesn't mean only teehees have to be posted.

It shall be continued as a chat, just runs under a different name to prevent confusion.

Edited by Falcom Knight

Teehee is back!
EFcIobl.jpg

14 hours ago, Caster said:

I wouldn't call myself a superfan of the series (by virtue of not having seen/played everything to do with it yet), but I can agree with all of this. The different takes on all these historical and mythological figures as well as their stories is great, and the stories themselves are interesting, as well. Not to mention I love me some wackiness (I wouldn't play Nep if I didn't).
Although I didn't cry yet, there are a lot of moments that made me feel emotional. Particular standout examples are Tamamo's backstory in Extra, as well as the ending to Altera's route in Extella. And of course the two Heaven's Feel movies.

And there are plenty of funny moments mixed in between, as well.

12 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

395627468276367370.png?v=1

3jkM5Xi.png

- Falcom, probably

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

I haven't read these books in a long-ass time. I never read the finale to Heroes of Olympus as well as the stuff that came after and though i plan on that soon, i'll be starting from the very beginning to refresh my memory.

Noted! Thank you very much! ^^

Edited by DragonFlames