• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

22 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I made it to la imperial capital

and then ~40 (timed) side quests happened and i saved and closed the game for now

maybe later, dunno, but i think i am suffering from quest fatigue.

My brother as well...

Yeah, as I said, it's bad there, but you've got time for all of them. Quite a good bit of time. If you ever see a (spoilered in case you don't want the tip)

Spoiler

♾️ symbol pop up during a fight, you've crossed the line with that very fight.

I hope that isn't saying too much.

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Knowing that DQ is basically the grandfather of JRPGs, I don't expect too many surprises, to be honest.

And that's fair, the franchise stays pretty conservative on its narratives. As it does in other ways.

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Etrian Odyssey IV and Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey Redux (the game with the single worst dungeon design in video game history imo) just drove the nail into the coffin by making it not just annoying, but frustrating, too.

There was sliding there? I guess in the Golden Lair. That was bad, not because of sliding, but those darned Ice Stakes. 

I confess to some sliding headaches during a few moments of the EOV 5th Stratum- figuring out how to time your movements in line with moving FOEs isn't great. And I loathe the Scylla ice shove before the battle begins in U2.

---

I'm a little pent up right now, but I can't figure out what I should play. Civ VI and XCX aren't enough by themselves. Maybe I should read or watch some good TV.

I'm considering a return to EON, but that has been a little less fun than EOV because of those level gates on the higher end skills, they just stifle the classes and make me want to plow through the game until I reach level 40. I've made it through the Primitive Jungle, I somewhat liked the "stranded in its depths" part, and I stopped at needing to confront the Wyvern.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There was sliding there? I guess in the Golden Lair. That was bad, not because of sliding, but those darned Ice Stakes. 

The Golden Lair is easily my least favorite dungeon in all of EO. And you're right, the sliding wasn't even the worst part of it, but I still really hated it.
I'm happy the Nexus version is a lot tamer in comparison (mostly because your Ice Stake is permanent).

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I confess to some sliding headaches during a few moments of the EOV 5th Stratum- figuring out how to time your movements in line with moving FOEs isn't great. And I loathe the Scylla ice shove before the battle begins in U2.

Yeah, those were a pain, too.

---

And got killed by the Winter Queen, because having to fight two bosses that can heal themselves right after one another with no chance to replenish anything is such a great idea.
F***ing hell, Dragon Quest.

Edited by DragonFlames

Oh yes, the Winter Queen.

If you want a reminder of my thoughts when I fought her:

On 5/9/2020 at 9:34 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

Alright, made it through all of Faerie Lea... although The Winter Queen was so annoying. It boiled down to luck and attrition. When she charges up her next physical attack, she could pretty much one-shot Honey; and with Saber not obeying every single command... and The Winter Queen capable casting Heal on herself... ugh.

It actually took me two tries since on the first she managed to knock out Madason, after having used up all my Medicinal Herbs, his MP was depleted too, and even used up the Magical Water Dwight dropped. Despite Saber being a party member and still having HP left, it still counted as a defeat.

Second time went much better. Honey was still knocked out, but a combination of the boss not casting Heal for a few times combined with some lucky critical hits... she went down.

... yeah, having a fourth party member here would've been much better...

I had forgotten monsters won't obey until their Wisdom stat reach 20. Saber doesn't even have 10... Although I got a Wisdom Seed drop before Uptaten... though it's still a long way to go for Saber to reach the require 20. *sigh*

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh yes, the Winter Queen.

If you want a reminder of my thoughts when I fought her:

I see, I see.
I'll see if I can make use of that somehow. Thank you!

I didn't know monsters only obey at 20 wisdom, either. I just thought Leo (what Saber's name is in my playthrough) disobeyed me because he's still young.

1 hour ago, Strullemia said:

I ship Shirou with Kanshou and Bakuya! Those are way better than any of the Fate heroines!

One advantage he has is that he can make multiple of them.
You know... for reasons.

---

Tirqf81.jpg
This will never not be awesome.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yeah, as I said, it's bad there, but you've got time for all of them. Quite a good bit of time. If you ever see a (spoilered in case you don't want the tip)

I am not clicking the spoiler, wanna be as spoiler free as possible^^

but i wonder what they were thinking with all the quests tbh

Honestly, the side quests wouldn't have been as bad if:
- There was a Centeral place/guild or something where you accept all quests at once
- Already slain monsters counting towards extermination quests

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Tirqf81.jpg

v6 never

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

v6 never

I like the Extella remix of this theme, honestly. Dunno if that is v6, but... yeah. It's in Link, as well, just like the other Servant themes (which makes me happy, because it means this theme is still there).
The awesome thing about UBW in Extella and Extella Link is that Archer uses Nero's Aestus, Gawain's Excalibur Galatine, and Cu Chulainn's Gae Bolg.

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Dunno if that is v6, but... yeah. It's in Link, as well, just like the other Servant themes

it isn't xD

If you noticed, the video is ~1 hour long, and is like a compilation/remix of almost all Emiya themes (until 5 years ago haha)

Just now, Shrimperor said:

it isn't xD

If you noticed, the video is ~1 hour long, and is like a compilation/remix of almost all Emiya themes (until 5 years ago haha)

Oh, then I got you wrong. My bad!
In that case, someone should make a v6 of this remix with the Extella version added. Also the Illya version from that one awesome fight in Prisma you showed me before if that isn't there already (I skimmed through it, but I didn't recognize it).

---

ntUFXK3.jpg
5oUXK8u.jpg

Tamamo be like: kCYKXTt.png

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

but i wonder what they were thinking with all the quests tbh

Monolith Soft has a tendency to go all out, which has proven to be both a good thing and a bad thing depending on where you look and who you ask.

I think the fact that Xenoblade 1 has 480 quests was simply because of the times, but i didn't even know of the game's existence until Smash 4, so i couldn't tell you for sure. The Xenoblade games since then don't have nearly as much sidequests.

I appreciate the added QoL regarding the sidequests in DE but as i said in my review, XenoblaDE really is just Xenoblade 1 with a new coat of paint, for better and worse. This is mainly in regards to the gameplay department. Xenoblade 1 is a good foundation that the later games improved upon tremendously but i would've liked if DE made use of those improvements beyond the QoL.

Edited by Armagon

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I think the fact that Xenoblade 1 has 480 quests was simply because of the times

I don't think many old games have such a huge amount of quests, either

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

t i would've liked if DE made use of those improvements beyond the QoL.

Could've angered alot of fans, i think.

That's the thing with Remasters and Remakes. Just look at all the FE4 remake discussions we get over here. Some want alot of changes (like me) while others want the exact same thing with just new shiny graphics

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Could've angered alot of fans, i think.

That's the thing with Remasters and Remakes. Just look at all the FE4 remake discussions we get over here. Some want alot of changes (like me) while others want the exact same thing with just new shiny graphics

Well in the case of Xenoblade 1, the general consensus regarding gameplay is that the other Xenoblade games blow it out of the water, to the point where some fans of the original find it hard to come back to it after playing the other Xenoblade games. And from what I saw, the majority would've liked to see some improvements made to the combat and other aspects of the gameplay. Not even reworking the whole thing (like you'd see in FE4 remake debates), just making small improvements here and there is what most people were asking for. For example, the other Xenoblade games split accuracy and evasion. The former being determined by dexterity while the latter is determined by agility, and it would've been nice if DE incorporated that.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who you ask), Xenoblade 1's combat and gameplay is exactly the same as it was in the original, just with QoL now. Like, my biggest issue with Xenoblade 1's gameplay was the level penalties, something the later games in the series got rid of, and I was hoping DE would follow suit but nope, it's still there.

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Like, my biggest issue with Xenoblade 1's gameplay was the level penalties, something the later games in the series got rid of

THANK GOD

That Level penalty thing is super dumb. 

Honestly though, if XB1 gameplay is the worst in the series and it only improves from there, then i am looking forward to the gameplay of the others. I find it pretty fun despite some dumb stuff here and there (that i can kinda forgive since it's my first experience with the series. Won't be as much forgiving if the same mistakes kept getting repeated later on)

The whole gem crafting thing i would also like to see streamlined tbh. I just put Shulk and Reyn because they have highest support Affinity together and those have alot of turns. I don't understand anything else lmao

Edited by Shrimperor

46 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That Level penalty thing is super dumb. 

I don't understand the point of it. There's only so much EXP you can get from any single enemy so it's not like level penalties are there to prevent EXP cheese. Even if you somehow killed Rotbart at Lv.15, you aren't gonna shoot up tremendously in levels.

Honestly though, if XB1 gameplay is the worst in the series and it only improves from there, then i am looking forward to the gameplay of the others.

Glad to hear it. Like i've said before, XC1 gameplay does work as a good foundation that the later games just improved upon significantly. 

Side note: while XC1 does have the worst Xenoblade gameplay, if we look at the bigger Xeno series, Xenosaga Episode II has the worst gameplay in the series, to the point where i strongly suggest people just watch the cutscenes for that one. If you ever decide to get into the pre-Blade Xeno games, keep that in mind.

The whole gem crafting thing i would also like to see streamlined tbh.

It definitly gets streamlined don't worry. Gems themselves are XC1 exclusive but XCX has Augments and XC2/Torna has Aux Cores and Accesories, which are functionially the same thing.

In regards of how you get them, Aux Cores simply require exchaning certain enemy drops for them at any Aux Core seller. Exchange the quantity of items (an Aux Core can ask for multiple items but you can just give it one kind of item multiple times until the meter fills up) and the Aux Core is yours. I've heard Augments are gotten the same way but i'll let @Interdimensional Observer explain the specifics since he's replaying XCX right now.

Torna gives you the Aux Cores for free via chest and enemy drops, no item exchange required. And Future Connected does the same thing with Gems, simply mine the crystal and the Gem is ready to be used right away.

Edited by Armagon

Discovery: playing too much Project Diva Megamix hurts my hand

EDIT: also I got a banner ad to help me grow my church

Edited by Espurrhoodie

Got fired today. Also got mod killed from an anniversary mafia game on my favorite website for inactivity because I've been traveling. Also can't cry because I'm at a large family gathering where nobody understands me. TEE HEE Kill me

Playing through Xenoblade 1 revived my interest in replaying Xenoblade 2, so with that on the mind I want to talk about Flesh Eaters.

Spoiler

Since the Architect doesn't bring Flesh Eaters up during his endgame infodump, I assume it's unintentional behavior in the Blade system. Maybe the infusion of human cells confuses the core and makes it believe that the Blade is its own Driver? The unique powers could be from the core glitching and modifying the Blade's existing powers.

I presume that Minoth was injected with human cells to become a Flesh Eater, while Nia and probably Akhos and Patroka "ate" a human. Blades are capable of eating meat without becoming Flesh Eaters, so either it involves humans cells (since Blades were designed for them specifically, as Drivers of other species are uncommon) or cells of their current Driver's species. It seems that the infusion of human cells disables or hinders the Blade's natural regeneration, and eventually the core's ability to absorb ether will decline and the Blade will die. Minoth considers himself a failure, but he was well enough to fight alongside Vandham for a time so it seems his health didn't decline until recently. Presumably they don't return to being Core Crystals following their deaths, but Akhos and Patroka had their cores ripped out and Jin disintegrated so we don't know for certain.

Unlike the others, Jin's core is completely red rather than being blue and pink, which might be because Jin became a Flesh Eater through a unique method of replacing his heart with Lora's. It seems that the red core is an indication of a "perfect" Flesh Eater, but whether this is an always-successful method of developing special powers is unknown (it could be if the "core glitching" hypothesis is correct). Nia is usually assumed to have benefitted from becoming a Flesh Eater, but she lacks the red core and we don't know if her healing powers were amplified following her procedure. Jin and Nia are also the only Blades (aside from Pyra/Mythra) with multiple forms, which seems to be another side effect of them being Flesh Eaters; Jin got a "powered up" form while Nia got a "Driver form" that greatly resembles the "sister" whose cells she absorbed. Their transformation animation resembles how Pyra and Mythra switch between each other, but with the color of their respective elements.

While on the topic, let's discuss Blade Eaters too. While Flesh Eaters were "invented" by Judicium, Blade Eaters were first created by Indol. Amalthus and Zeke have shards of cores (from Haze and Pandoria), and Mikhail seems to have a whole Core Crystal implanted in him. Amalthus and Zeke got some of their Blade's powers (presumably in Zeke's case), while Mikhail got the weapon and the powers of the core he was implanted with. As an imperfect prototype, Gort transforms into a barely sane monster with a short lifespan ("Sooner or later, the binding will decay and he will die," says Stannif), and he dissolves into black ether following his death rather than elemental ether. It seems Amalthus wanted to solve this issue before he became a Blade Eater himself. Guldos are also essentially imperfect Blade Eaters, and Amalthus also has another form that is basically a controlled Guldo transformation that he gained by absorbing the cores (or just data? I'm not sure) of many Blades.

Becoming a Blade Eater extends one's lifespan, probably because Core Crystals were originally created as artificial brain cells. Mikhail has grown into an adult after 500 years, and Amalthus looks exactly the same. We don't know if Zeke will live that long, since he doesn't have a full core nor is he Indoline.

This ended up being longer than expected, but I wanted to make a writeup about what we know about Flesh Eaters. Before Xenoblade DE came out I left off my Xenoblade 2 replay in Uraya (which is coincidentally where I took a break on my first playthrough), but now I'm at chapter 4.

3 minutes ago, Ika Musume said:

Got fired today. Also got mod killed from an anniversary mafia game on my favorite website for inactivity because I've been traveling. Also can't cry because I'm at a large family gathering where nobody understands me. TEE HEE Kill me

F

I was gonna post the world's biggest F, but Google wasn't helpful.

55 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Discovery: playing too much Project Diva Megamix hurts my hand

EDIT: also I got a banner ad to help me grow my church

I can relate to this. Mostly because my hand hurts arbitrarily from catching a knife wrong. By which I mean by the blade. Mind I wasn't aiming for the knife, I was aiming for the wrist of the guy holding it. Except he was drunk. So he lost balance, and so he tripped. Which was why I was grabbing for his wrist in the first place. Because a drunk carrying a knife is an accident waiting to happen. So now I have a stick insect looking scar in the webbing of my right hand that hurts if I play anything too much. Or it's cold. Or both.

1 hour ago, Ika Musume said:

Thanks for the F, it lets some of my emotion escape

No problem!

13 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I can relate to this. Mostly because my hand hurts arbitrarily from catching a knife wrong. By which I mean by the blade. Mind I wasn't aiming for the knife, I was aiming for the wrist of the guy holding it. Except he was drunk. So he lost balance, and so he tripped. Which was why I was grabbing for his wrist in the first place. Because a drunk carrying a knife is an accident waiting to happen. So now I have a stick insect looking scar in the webbing of my right hand that hurts if I play anything too much. Or it's cold. Or both.

Uh, are you okay?

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenosaga Episode II has the worst gameplay in the series, to the point where i strongly suggest people just watch the cutscenes for that one. If you ever decide to get into the pre-Blade Xeno games, keep that in mind.

Unacceptable, everyone needs to suffer its gameplay! 😛

Alright, back from my little expedition.

Climbed a couple smaller mountains (- 500 m at max) which was very challenging since I haven't really trained my body in the past months and also asthma is an issue. Though I made it. Thankfully the weather was perfect for this - dry and bearable warm.

Only the train travels could have been better.  In one train one wagon was missing, so the train was overfilled consequently.  Why should the railway organisation give a crap about social distances anyways!? I'm glad I got a seat, so I didn't have that "many" people close around me.

Today will become a quiet day. Will play Persona 5 Royal a bit further, that's it!

Tomorrow I will continue my landscape exploration.

@twilitfalchion

Hopefully you enjoy FE10.

If you need help or have questions, just contact me.

Btw I bought the next character in Smash Ultimate. Since I already have the first set, and I don't like half things, I bought the second pack too. I hope next characters will become more interesting (popular).

Also I saw Atelier Ryza will get a sequel. I'm really looking forward to this.

At the end a gift to all Lysithea fans.

Edited by Falcom Knight