Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Now you are in my turf, friend!

Falcom's RPGs seem to do something for me that others haven't (apart from RF4 and FE anyway).

I love the world-building and characters so much. If Trails is any indicator, then Ys must be something very special.

• Replies 176k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

pmMW3vL.jpg

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

If Trails is any indicator, then Ys must be something very special.

Unlike Trails, Ys is much much more gameplay focused!

Although the newer games have story focus as well, and are much more of Trails games than modern Trails hope to be.

Ys 8 is a damn Masterpiece, and imo the best modern Falcom game.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Unlike Trails, Ys is much much more gameplay focused!

Although the newer games have story focus as well, and are much more of Trails games than modern Trails hope to be.

Sounds like a good time to me. I look forward to checking them out at some point. I think there were several titles for the PSP and Vita IIRC.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Alright, now I know what game to avoid!

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

I think there were several titles for the PSP and Vita IIRC.

They are all also available on PC 😉

Especially Ys 8 you shouldn't play on Vita, since they had to cut alot of content from Vita version

I have Ys 8 on PS4 and I tried playing it many times, but I just can't get used to the gameplay.
It's a damn shame, because from the music, the graphics, and the characters, it looks like something I would absolutely love.

Edited by DragonFlames

Just now, Shrimperor said:

They are all also available on PC 😉

Especially Ys 8 you shouldn't play on Vita, since they had to cut alot of content from Vita version

Good to know. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

This is the main reason I rarely, if ever, read reviews by news sites.
Actually, I rather like reading the reviews/thoughts people post about games here. I feel much better informed by those than by many news sites.

7 minutes ago, Caster said:

Just ask others how they feel about a game.

I don't think this can be done by asking because several things just develop in the game itself. At least for RPGs just flat answers wouldn't help me because it can't be described in such a few words as much complexity these games have. Like Octopath Traveler: If I would ask about the gameplay, I don't think no one would give me a specific answer that you're fight a strong boss all alone in the beginning (I can't survive).

If I would ask for platformer, I could definitely expect a more significant answers because they don't have much variation aside of being two or three dimensional or focussing more or less precision from the player.

Not gonna lie Ys8 has Trails in the Sky syndrome for me.

Owning this game for about 1.5 years and still couldn't motivate myself to play it through after doing three attempts.

I don't know why I can't get into this.

It's probably mainly because I always get lost...

I got an ad on here for something called "Mike Tyson vs Jaws" and thought "Oh Mike Tyson is gonna fight a shark" and then I realized it was for Shark Week and I thought "oh wait he's prolly gonna narrate something for Shark Week" and then I looked it up and Mike Tyson is actually gonna fight a fucking shark

Just when I thought 2020 couldn't get any weirder, this shit happens.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

That's understandable. I've had that happen to me multiple times where I simply didn't like a game that had been so hyped.

I think the first time i ever experienced this was with FE4 and 5. After that, Final Fantasy 7, i guess. But i at least liked what i played with FF7, i just didn't feel going further.

I like to be an optimist so even if i don't find a game to be the best thing ever, i can still enjoy it provided it didn't grind my gears too much. Same with movies, TV shows and books i haven't read an actual book in forever.

Even BotW (as much as I love that game) has issues with the world being a bit barren and lifeless.

That may have to do with the fact that BotW does not have music for 80% of the game.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

I haven't played too many open-world games, but from what I've seen, they all seem to be fairly similar to each other.

A lot of them are just style over substance (which isn't neccisarily a bad thing, 90% of Godzilla movies are for the spectacle and they are fun to watch) that give you nothing to do and just exist to make the world feel more "realistic". 

I think Monolith Soft's the only ones that have managed to perfect the art of the open world (even if Xenoblade X and BotW are their only actual open-world game, the other Xenoblades are just open world-lite) since their world design is actually cool as fuck and you get rewarded constantly for simply exploring. BotW is their weakest work imo but it's still more appealing to explore than most other open-world games (but BotW wasn't completely Monolith Soft anyway).

You shouldn't, honestly. You have a right to your opinion, and I think most are mature enough to accept that regardless of whether or not they agree or disagree.

Agreed. If you don't like something, just be like

IMG_20200802_131237.jpg?width=766&height

41 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

This is the main reason I rarely, if ever, read reviews by news sites.

I only listen to GameXplain because they actually play the games and since it's almost always the same three people, each one has their own preferences so a review from them doesn't feel like it was simply assigned to them like other game journalist publications.

41 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Speaking of Ys, I may have to check it out sometime when I don't have a backlog to burn through.

Don't start with Ys 7.

Ys gameplay is what i wish Tales gameplay was tbh.

34 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

It's on my to-play list. 

In fact, i feel like that one should've been my first Ys game instead.

14 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah it's a Phase Transfer Cannon. It's used literally once in the entire trilogy (it was needed to clear the path to Episode I's final area).

It appearently can wipe out an entire solar system if used incorrectly. But again, it's used literally once and never again.

So the Yggdrasil IV of XS?😛

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Credit where credit is due, Persona 2 is about actual adults.

Well, Eternal Punishment is. P1 and P2 Innocent Sin are all teenagers (barring Maya) with more of a school lean, but EP after the very first dungeon ditches schools altogether. This is the cast after all:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20161017160710

Only Tatsuya is a teenager here, and he gets called out a few times for his youth leading him to foolishly take on the burdens of the entire world by himself. Everyone else in their 20s, except Baofu- 32 and therefore the oldest playable Persona character. I'm sure this means the P5 cast would want to burn them all at the stake.

Either way, there are no Social Links or Confidants or life-sim elements to P2, which is why I went for it.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

But my distaste for ln school setting in games is quite known, i just try to keep it off this Thread to not bring all the world's negativity here xD

I'm not big on high school hijinks either, could they try college for a change at least? It isn't like you've totally figured out life after 18.

1 hour ago, Caster said:

Because I like to go into games unbiased, and with zero opinion, so when people keep saying it's the best game to exist and I get disappointed at many parts of it I get agitated.

I totally understand you. I try to be anti-hype myself.

1 hour ago, Caster said:

This is the vibe I get from this thread when people start complaining about how they never want to play a game because it has a single mechanic they don't like in it, tbh

I love that quip. It doesn't exist in Japan actually, the Japanese nerd axiom it replaced is "Food fills the stomach. Figures fill the heart." Barring talk of that life-sized Ryza figurine, I find the localization more relevant and therefore funnier.

1 minute ago, Espurrhoodie said:

and then I looked it up and Mike Tyson is actually gonna fight a fucking shark

You are aware of the "Michael Phelps races a shark" thing from like last year or another? That was a total misleading lie. Don't get your hopes up for Tyson.

--

Completed Chapter 9. *Yawn* Primer->Violent Streak= 60 on the counter. Phase 1 over in like two minutes; time for Phase 2, which should mean I board my Skell, nope. For a moment, I thought staying on foot would kill me, it didn’t. The boss delayed the inevitable via summoning minions which made it invincible as long as they were around. Curiously, it never flipped the weather, did I kill it too fast? Oh, and while Alexa died, Elma and Lin survived on foot too, I was not expecting that. Very quick thinking, maybe too quick, on Elma's narrative part too.

Disappointed it turned out Six Stars doesn’t become available until after Chapter 10, why so late for an AM? Sure postgame exists, but it isn’t like Six Stars is statistically objectively superior to any other gear.

Now, I need to go up another two levels before I can recruit Celica, I've still some quests to do, so I'll get them done. Almost at 4 hearts with Alexa when she was only at 2 not long ago, wow, Affinity isn't too bad here. I have to complete Chapter 11 before I can do her last AfM though, so no rush on 4 hearts, and unfortunately that means no Maximum Voltage until then.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

You are aware of the "Michael Phelps races a shark" thing from like last year or another? That was a total misleading lie. Don't get your hopes up for Tyson.

Dammit I wanted to see Mike Tyson deck a shark.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So the Yggdrasil IV of XS?😛

Yeah lmao.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, Eternal Punishment is. P1 and P2 Innocent Sin are all teenagers (barring Maya)

Ah. I keep forgetting that Persona 2 is a FF13 situation in that the story is split into multiple parts. I think. That's how it is for P2, right?

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

A lot of them are just style over substance (which isn't neccisarily a bad thing, 90% of Godzilla movies are for the spectacle and they are fun to watch) that give you nothing to do and just exist to make the world feel more "realistic". 

Never saw the appeal for them, and this here is another reason why.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Agreed. If you don't like something, just be like

Wise words indeed.
Though it's less "wise" and more "common sense", but hey.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I only listen to GameXplain because they actually play the games and since it's almost always the same three people, each one has their own preferences so a review from them doesn't feel like it was simply assigned to them like other game journalist publications.

I have seen a few of their videos before. Seemed to be pretty informative, all things considered.

2 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Dammit I wanted to see Mike Tyson deck a shark.

Animal abuse!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Ys gameplay is what i wish Tales gameplay was tbh.

Tales of the Abyss bored me to tears with its gameplay. Everything moved so slowly and combat felt like it boiled down to button mashing that I stopped pretty early on. Didn't help that I hated the lead character either.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Derrick and Jon are typically the ones I enjoy listening to discuss games the most. Andre's a bit obnoxious though, to me at least.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I have seen a few of their videos before. Seemed to be pretty informative, all things considered.

Well they are called GameXplain.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tales of the Abyss bored me to tears with its gameplay. Everything moved so slowly and combat felt like it boiled down to button mashing that I stopped pretty early on.

Tales of the Abyss is when i realized i do not enjoy the LMBS system that exists in all Tales games except Graces, Zestiria and Berseria. Heck, the primary reason i enjoyed Berseria was because i could actually enjoy the combat (even if it did feel like a chore at times).

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Didn't help that I hated the lead character either.

Tbf, Luke being an unlikable brat is intentional. If you hated him, that's probably a good thing. Unless you hated him for a reason other than that you're supposed to hate him.

Someone retweeted a Nintendo Tweet announcing the Xenoblade X Special Edition from way back in 2015 and i nearly had a heart attack. I never fall for these pranks but this one got me.

Son_of_Godzilla_Minilla.jpg

Why must i suffer?

Just now, Armagon said:

Well they are called GameXplain.

The "duh" was missing. 6/10, try again. XD
Well, the title doesn't necessarily have to be indicative of the content. They could just pretend to explain stuff only to explain nothing whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Tbf, Luke being an unlikable brat is intentional. If you hated him, that's probably a good thing. Unless you hated him for a reason other than that you're supposed to hate him.

The problem for me was that none of the other characters had enough personality to contrast with his being so obnoxious.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Mitsuda feel asleep with this game, I swear.

Yeah Atelier is like, king of item crafting. No other franchise comes close. The closest i can think of is Rune Factory 4 and even there, i feel like the item crafting pales in comparison to what Atelier can do.

That being said, both franchises have similar vibes. If you like Atelier, you'll probably like Rune Factory and vice-versa. 

Maybe they couldn't fit alot of music in game considering everything else it has. 

I like the total customization the game has, that's what draws me ti Xenoblade2 so much as well. 

Rune factory... maybe I'll check it out!

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I've only played Xenoblade 2, and I liked the music in that one. And I liked the stuff Armagon and the others posted, as well.

That was supposed to be a joke, sorry! That sounded a bit too serious, huh?

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The "duh" was missing. 6/10, try again. XD
Well, the title doesn't necessarily have to be indicative of the content. They could just pretend to explain stuff only to explain nothing whatsoever.

I trust only three things: my booze, my bolter pistol, and the Emperor.

Edited by Wraith

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

That was supposed to be a joke, sorry! That sounded a bit too serious, huh?

No need to apologize!
It's obvious that there would be a few stinkers here and there. Not everything can be amazing, after all. I thought that was what you were getting at, hence the reply.
I just experienced the good stuff only.

Edited by DragonFlames

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Rune factory... maybe I'll check it out!

Rune Factory 4 Special is an excellent place to start. It was released earlier this year on Switch if you're interested.