Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

21 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I know, it’s just that I didn’t know Julian Teehee was German as well.

I'm on paper, yes, but it's not like that I feel entirely like one.

In my area Dutch and Polish as native language are as common.

The former is not surprising since I'm living 8 km away from the Dutch border.

Edited by Julian Teehee

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

We have some Russians and other East Europeans too, but polish is more common here.

Cars with Polish traffic sign are definitely the third most common after German and Dutch.

>Tfw Nepgear part of the poll but not Neptune

Added.

I forgot even the "cause" for this thread.

Edited by Julian Teehee

I have finished Paper Mario: The Origami King. My thoughts: I have not been this pleasantly surprised in a long time. 

I've never had a nostalgic attachment to Paper Mario. My first Paper Mario was Sticker Star (hahahahahahaha), a game i enjoyed a lot when i was like, 12, but i recently replayed it and saw it was actually bad (though i still don't think it's the devilspawn that Paper Mario fans make it out to be). I've played The Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, both fun games that i liked but never really put them on the pedestal that you usually see them on, The Thousand Year Door especially. I didn't have a Wii U so while i've seen lots of funny clips of Color Splash, i never got to play it and never knew anyone personally who had access to it.

So here comes Origami King. Literally announced out of nowhere as Nintendo's one and only big summer title because Covid. I was surprised but even though i thought the game looked good but there was that thought in the back of everyone's mind: "will it finally be an RPG again?" Things looked promising, gone were the sticker-based combat in favor of something more resembling RPGs, Partners were kinda back, no world map, instead having the return of an interconnected Mario world. But people were still looking for signs that it was an RPG. And then the infamous Nintendo Treehouse came perhaps turned a lot of people off. Many people, including myself admittidly, saw Sticker Star 3. I thought to myself, "game's probably fine but i'll wait on a sale". That was until i saw a Tweet from Lonley Goomba where he basically said that Origami King was just a Zelda game in disguise. That Tweet sold me. I didn't wait for a sale, i purchased Origami King at full price. And man, was i pleasantly surprised.

The beginning of the game is very slow and very handholdy. It is arguably the worst part of the game, which is a valid concern as first impressions are important. In my opinion, the Red Streamer will basically weed out the weak from the strong. Those who hold first impressions in very high regard will likely drop the game here. Those who persevere will be in for a treat. The Red Streamer is basically just normal Mario stuff, down to the visuals and music, though their are good moments to be had. But once you clear the Red Streamer and move on to the Blue Streamer, the real game begins. It is the Blue Streamer where the game begins to truly shine.

The character writing is honestly amazing. Olivia is genuianly a fantastic addition to the Nintendo character roster, Bobby the Bob-omb was fun to be around, the Bowsers reclaim their humorus glory. There's even a few heartfelt moments, which is very nice. The Legion of Stationary, the office supplies that served as bosses that everyone thought was a stupid-ass concept (which on paper, (heh), it is), are actually characters. Yes, office supplies are characters. Each one has a distinct personality that, apart from Colored Pencils and Scissors, isn't related to what they are. But even Colored Pencils and Scissors were fun. Colored Pencils was a pretentious artist who thinks the "modern" and "pop-culture" isn't real art and Scissors was actually just an anime swordsman, complete with the "heh, nothing personal kid" and "i'll handicap myself to make it fair".

The world is visually and audiably fantastic. A common criticism levied towards the post-Sticker Star Paper Mario games is that "oh it focuses too much on paper, it's not an aesthethic choice anymore". I feel that that criticism should not apply to this game in particular. The world is expertly crafted. You can tell it's all paper and cardboard materials obviously but the world feels very much alive. I honestly can't really criticize the game for "focusing on paper" when the world just looks so good. It helps that apart from the Red Streamer, it's not generic Mario environments. The Blue Streamer contains the Autumn Mountain, a beautiful red-orange mountain with a slight Japanese theming that you can hear in the music. Shogun Studios is a Japanese-theme amusment park with the best song in the game. The Yellow Streamer has the Scorching Sandpaper Desert, one of two "open" areas where you get to drive around in a car, ramming through any enemies you come across, while searching for the hidden Temple of Shrooms. Snif City is the city that never sleeps, so much so that it contains a room with an unexpected banger of a song in one small room and it only plays there. The Purple Streamer is literally just Wind Waker, complete with the Trials of Power, Wisdom and Courage. The Green Streamer is a resort spa in heaven spanning multiple floating islands, where Bowser's Castle accidentally crash landed. The best part, there's even a bit of worldbuilding that you can uncover in order to connect most of the areas, so the areas aren't just there to be there.

Did i mention the music by the way? Oh, it's so good. A lot of good bangers in the battle themes, i will repeat what i said about Shogun Studios having the best song in the game, the final dungeon theme is fantastic. This game was a pleasant surprise but the biggest surprise was how good the soundtrack is in this game.

But what about the gameplay? That's the important part, right? Is there incentive to battle? Turns out the anwser is actually yes. A lot of things are actually expensive in this game. Most of the coins and confetti you get will be from battles. Yeah you can find a few in the overworld but it won't be enough to catch up. I can count the number of times i exceeded 10,000 coins with one hand. You also need 10,000 coins to progress at a certain part during the Green Streamer, no way around it.

The battles themselves can be pretty satisfying. At first, they might not seem like much but when the games begins throwing harder puzzles at you, completing them correctly is honestly very satisfying. There's also overworld combat, where you have to hit enemies in their Achiles' Heel to make them vulnerable from any attack. There's enough of these battles that it didn't feel like just a gimmick. What is admittidly more gimmicky are the boss battles, which play completely differently from normal battles. However, each boss battle has it's own way of being solved. The trailers did a horrible job of demonstrating this. All they should was "oh you just have to get from the outside to the inside" but it is much more than that. If anything, the trailers horribly simplified how boss battles actually are. More often than not, you can't just run in and attack. Figuring out each boss' weakness and then exploiting it is part of the fun. And a lot of the time, that weakness might change into a different one once half-health is hit.

Outside of combat, there's a much bigger emphasis on exploration, with each area keeping track of how many of something you've done. The folded-up Toads are basically Korok Seeds from Breath of the Wild except the ones that are hidden well are actually hidden well and not "hey you found a Korok Seed by complete accident hahaha". The dungeons themselves have a very Zelda feel to them, though i wouldn't go as far to say as they are as good as Zelda dungeons. Still, they serve their purpose well. Speaking of Zelda, there's even Zelda-esque trade quests that you'll have to do every now and then.

If i have some negatives to say, i'll say again that the game has a very poor start. The Red Streamer really is the worst part of the game. You can't mass-buy items. Some items are sold in bulk but you can't select multiple quantities for different items. This is 2020, c'mon IntSys. There is a pointless game show you have to do during the Green Streamer and Origami King as a game is sometimes kinda unintutive in what you have to do. Lining up enemies during combat is satisfying, yes, but the game is very stingy sometimes on what counts as a lineup. There would be times where i swore i lined them up correctly but the game said no.

This game is not an RPG. It is a Zelda-esque adventue game with RPG puzzle elements. If you're someone who absolutely insists that Paper Mario should be an RPG and nothing more, this game isn't for you. But if you're willing to open your mind, absolutely try this out and hopefully you're strong enough to make it through the slow beginning. Paper Mario: The Origami King is a great addition to the Switch's first-party library and I hope that this game is remembered fondly, free from the negative preconceptions that Sticker Star and Color Splash gave it.

I will now list some of my favorite songs from this game.

I kinda messed up the poll since I added a few more choices.

All people who voted for "other" must revote, please.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Stella Artois?

Never heared of it, but after checking out, yeah, it's a beer.

This poll is shit. It does not even have my favorite girl on it.

Was Tamano the name of the foxgirl?

Edited by Julian Teehee

2 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

Was Tamano the name of the foxgirl?

Yep.
Jules kmon, you've known me for like 5 years, you should know this!

Edited by Caster

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I have finished Paper Mario: The Origami King. My thoughts: I have not been this pleasantly surprised in a long time. 

*rivalry with Castko +1000*

Seems you had fun though, which is the most important thing 😉

Edited by Shrimperor