Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I was gifted Trials of Mana yesterday, wasn't in the mood to play it until today.

I picked Kevin as my main character, I liked his half-beastman physique, and his bio was interesting to me, although first impressions from the artwork left me wary of what his personality would be. I was surprised to discover he is quite the sweet and awkward softie, I thought he'd be a brash brute. I think I chose well.

For my first companion, I remember reading something to the effect "you'll get a little more dialogue if you pick the character with the matching storyline as your main", and I guessed this was Charlotte so I picked her, selecting the dedicated healer was done out of survival caution too. She's charming.

And for the second companion, I wasn't so sure of who to take. I decided on Duran, largely because I didn't feel like the mage girl and this way Hawkeye and his female story-sharer could be together if I ever did a second playthrough of the game. Duran and the mage girl had the least-interesting bios to me. But Duran isn't bad actually now that I've seen some of his character. 

I've saved at the Golden Road now, heading to Valena for some reason. I wish there were more character interactions, I understand this is a 3D modern update on an SNES game, but how hard would it have been to think up more dialogue? Charlotte is half-elf and Kevin is half-beastman, there's an underlying connection there and it'd help Kevin with his caveman-esque sentences when speaking to humans. Duran's liking for strength seems in line with beastman ethos and hence familiar to Kevin, and Duran may well be more beastman than Kevin in behavior.

Nonetheless, although I'm not very far in, this bright and simple action RPG is fun. I hope it stays that way as I travel along further.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

19 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I was gifted Trials of Mana yesterday, wasn't in the mood to play it until today.

I picked Kevin as my main character, I liked his half-beastman physique, and his bio was interesting to me, although first impressions from the artwork left me wary of what his personality would be. I was surprised to discover he is quite the sweet and awkward softie, I thought he'd be a brash brute. I think I chose well.

For my first companion, I remember reading something to the effect "you'll get a little more dialogue if you pick the character with the matching storyline as your main", and I guessed this was Charlotte so I picked her, selecting the dedicated healer was done out of survival caution too. She's charming.

And for the second companion, I wasn't so sure of who to take. I decided on Duran, largely because I didn't feel like the mage girl and this way Hawkeye and his female story-sharer could be together if I ever did a second playthrough of the game. Duran and the mage girl had the least-interesting bios to me. But Duran isn't bad actually now that I've seen some of his character. 

I've saved at the Golden Road now, heading to Valena for some reason. I wish there were more character interactions, I understand this is a 3D modern update on an SNES game, but how hard would it have been to think up more dialogue? Charlotte is half-elf and Kevin is half-beastman, there's an underlying connection there and it'd help Kevin with his caveman-esque sentences when speaking to humans. Duran's liking for strength seems in line with beastman ethos and hence familiar to Kevin, and Duran may well be more beastman than Kevin in behavior.

Nonetheless, although I'm not very far in, this bright and simple action RPG is fun. I hope it stays that way as I travel along further.

Glad you're having fun. Be sure to BOLO for Li'l Cactus.

Having finished The Thousand-Year Door, I've realized that it's basically a Fire Emblem plot. Granted, most of the similar plot points (collecting magic rocks, the main villain for most of the game not being the final boss, said villain being manipulated by an evil sorcerer to revive a great evil, said great evil possessing someone, the ending shows what happened to everyone, etc.) aren't exclusive to FE, but FE games have a tendency to use those ideas.

Beyond that, the game was fun. I barely got any bingos before the final chapter, and two of them were Poison Mushrooms against Gloomtail and Grodus. Despite that, I only got two game overs due to being careless about healing during Chapters 2 and 7. The final boss was quite brutal and I only won by the skin of Mario's teeth. Maybe I'll tackle the Pit of 100 Trials if I'm up to it (you can actually finish the Pit before fighting Hooktail, and the rest of the game would probably be trivial if you do), and some troubles from the Trouble Center for some side content.

As a side note, there's a fun glitch that lets Flavio follow you for the rest of the game after the point where he's supposed to leave you. He appears in every cutscene afterward (and I do mean every cutscene) and tends to act in very... strange ways.

43 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Only just started Tales of Xillia and I have to say one thing, did Jude get struck by lightning? His hair style seems to imply so. XD

Expect the cast to make lots of jokes about that one, as well. XD

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I really should stop taking naps and waking up on midnight...

Tutturu~~~!

---

lWarsZA.jpg

Well, ain't that just peachy?

Well, finally entered the ninth century and the Viking Age began. A Norse guy managed to get a foothold in Britain, but failed to advance to Great Britain. Norman counties began to pop up though. Hmm, this might be another playthrough where the English culture fails to form... more so when I convinced the guy to convert, hahaha. Also did as I wrote I would and converted Saxony too. Another Norse established himself in Flanders... and has Iceland too, somehow.

Anyway, I enacted another Reconquista war, taking the remaining counties of Castille and the Toledo duchy. I can finally move my capital to Toledo. Sadly the guy got a fatal hit in the head in a battlefield event, but thankfully he held until after the war was over. Otherwise the Reconquista gets cancelled... never mind if I'm in the high 90's% War Score! Tsk. Now I'm playing as the guy's daughter, and can start another Reconquista already. Hmm, I might take the Valencia region next... or Beja. The fastest I can form Hispania the better... but that's for next time.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

>me playing hard games and enjoying them

YES YES THIS IS EXACTLY THE FEELING WOOOOHOOOOOOOO

I'm having more fun playing on Extreme difficulty than I expected, too, so that's me playing NoA2, as well!
At first, I was scared I wouldn't even make it past the initial few battles, but I've found my rhythm, and I'm feeling confident I can make it past the bosses!
Though I haven't fought any of 'em yet...

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm having more fun playing on Extreme difficulty than I expected, too, so that's me playing NoA2, as well!
At first, I was scared I wouldn't even make it past the initial few battles, but I've found my rhythm, and I'm feeling confident I can make it past the bosses!
Though I haven't fought any of 'em yet...

That the thing with high difficulties

they might seem scary

but once you get into the rythm, and feel the thrill and cheer challenge...

It's a fantastic feeling.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That the thing with high difficulties

they might seem scary

but once you get into the rythm, and feel the thrill and cheer challenge...

It's a fantastic feeling.

True. Though I usually save higher difficulty playthroughs for replays. Or never at all if I feel like I won't have as much fun playing on a higher difficulty setting.
I am a coward, I know. XD

But someday, I'll play through the Nep Re;Birth games with the Strengthen Enemies plan active.

---

And while I am gushing about my favorite antagonist ever, to the point she's actually my favorite character in Nights of Azure 2 (if we don't count the returning characters from the first game):

All of her themes are amazing.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Gust ost way too good

Indeed!

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

i wonder if they've something that can beat the Azure Arbitrator though

To me, they do! At least three things, in fact.
But that's just my personal taste, of course.
AA is still friggin' amazing.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hmmm...

@twilitfalchion, since nobody else seems to be into doing an FE9 draft, d'you wanna just start it now or call it off?

Well, since it's just the two of us, and we both have multiple other games we're working on right now, how about we do it another time then?

I'll be glad to be part of it whenever that is though.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Well, since it's just the two of us, and we both have multiple other games we're working on right now, how about we do it another time then?

I'll be glad to be part of it whenever that is though.

Ok! Looks like I'll just buff up the enemy growths by 20%!

Just now, Shrimperor said:

which ones, if i may ask? 

Of course!
Atelier Meruru/Mana Khemia - Nefertiti
Atelier Lulua - Cygnus

And, of course, because I'm not shilling it hard enough XD
Nights of Azure 2 - Lucia
This last one, as you know, is my favorite piece of music in any video game, perhaps even outside of that. I absolutely adore this song.

But I still think Azure Arbitrator is very damn good, don't misunderstand, please!

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Of course!
Atelier Meruru/Mana Khemia - Nefertiti
Atelier Lulua - Cygnus

And, of course, because I'm not shilling it hard enough XD
Nights of Azure 2 - Lucia
This last one, as you know, is my favorite piece of music in any video game, perhaps even outside of that. I absolutely adore this song.

Those 3 are really great 😄

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

But I still think Azure Arbitrator is very damn good, don't misunderstand, please!

don't worry, i know that not the best =/= bad

xd