• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I mean, it's hard not to dislike the guy who literally screws Arthur's wife, figuratively screwing the kingdom.

Good point.

7 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

One of the funnier things I noticed was in the book, Excalibur breaks in battle with King Pellinor. Then afterwards Arthur gets Excalibur from the lady in the lake. This may seem like a continuity error, but it's one of the odder of Mallory's decisions. See, there were two variations of the tale of how Arthur got the sword Excalibur. "The Sword in the Stone" variation, and the "Lady in the Lake". By having two Excaliburs, one of which breaks before the other is obtained... the both can occur and any tales relating to either origin can fit into the narrative without contradiction.

I was aware that there are two origins of Excalibur and I was always wondering "don't they contradict each other, sort of?".
So that's how they solved that issue. Interesting!

25 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ch. 2-3 is probably one of the most enjoyable RD chapters so far. I like how, instead of having a high number of units to control as the player, you get a smaller force of stronger units with allied units to guide (or not if you choose). Nice map design as well.

Look forward to 2-E, which is one of the best maps in Fire Emblem (in my opinion, at least)!
2-3 is great, too!
I find Part 2 in general really fun to play.

---

Speaking of fun to play, Trails in the Sky is fantastic!
Granted, I've only played, like four hours so far (I got done beating up the monsters ravaging the farm), but I can safely say that - already - I like it much more than I did Cold Steel.
Chiefly responsible for that?

Spoiler

Estelle.Bright.full.1212389.jpg
I guess you can count me among the Estelle Lovers Club now, too.

I also really enjoy Estelle's interactions with Joshua. Really strong character writing for really likeable and entertaining characters.
Funnily enough, these two have exactly the kind of dynamic I was trying to go for with the two main leads in my CYOA...

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Speaking of fun to play, Trails in the Sky is fantastic!
Granted, I've only played, like four hours so far (I got done beating up the monsters ravaging the farm), but I can safely say that - already - I like it much more than I did Cold Steel.
Chiefly responsible for that?

Reveal hidden contents

Estelle.Bright.full.1212389.jpg
I guess you can count me among the Estelle Lovers Club now, too.

I also really enjoy Estelle's interactions with Joshua. Really strong character writing for really likeable and entertaining characters.
Funnily enough, these two have exactly the kind of dynamic I was trying to go for with the two main leads in my CYOA...

image.png

Estelle is the protagonist of protagonists!

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I was aware that there are two origins of Excalibur and I was always wondering "don't they contradict each other, sort of?".
So that's how they solved that issue. Interesting!

Well, that's the thing. Arthurian lore is kind of a hodge-podge of various tales strung together into one. Notably the character we knew as Merlin was actually several characters (a list of whom exists on his wikipedia entry) merged into one in later years for simplicity's sake. Likewise, in an earlier version of the tale, Lancelot wasn't the one involved with Guinevere... but Mordred, with the tale being altered because it was allegedly less humiliating that she betrayed him for Lancelot... though if you ask me that just makes Lancelot bad too. Who in turn in some earlier variations had been King Lot's son and Arthur's nephew... instead of Arthur's son by incest (which came later). Mallory did a lot to turn the tales into a cohesive volume... but as it goes a full telling of Arthurian lore would require looking at a number of variations of tales. Some even predating Arthur himself which would later become attributed to him.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Lmao

This would also fit if we were talking about fire emblem haha

Haha yeah. I mean, Greataxe Blades in Xenoblade 2 aren't awful, Zenobia and T-elos in particular are the best when it comes to it. Zenobia has passives that let her Driver deal bonus damage to Unique Monsters and bosses and T-elos' Lv.2 Special deals more damage against higher-level enemies as well as one that increases her Driver's power everytime they fall in battle. Both are incredibily useful for Superboss slaying.

Btw speaking of Blades, i'm bringing this up since you did say not liking too much RNG: Xenoblade 2 does have a gacha-lite system. I say gacha-lite because no real money is required and the unique Rare Blades can only be obtained once. No duplicates. But unless you really want that 100%, the gacha-lite system doesn't actually matter that much (and even then, farming Core Crystals becomes a trivial matter eventually). It is 100% possible to clear the main story using only the Blades given to you by the story (i've done this).

Despite having a gacha-lite system, Xenoblade 2 is still less RNG-reliant than Xenoblade 1.

download_1.jpeg

12 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Azura is absolutely second-best Fates girl, even if she is Corrin's cousin.

Not according to the artbook lmao.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

They are a really good duo, yes.

10 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Estelle is the protagonist of protagonists!

*Laughs in Fei Fong Wong*

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

cXm9KoS.png

Oliver should have his own tier at the top.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It is 100% possible to clear the main story using only the Blades given to you by the story

Then it's ok. That's the most important thing

Aslong as it isn't like gacha where after early game it becomes super grindy and stuff

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

I started playing Atelier Ryza, and I have one question, how do I check my map?

I think that unlocks later.
Been a while since I played that game, though, so I don't remember exactly.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

*Laughs in Fei Fong Wong*

Also Neptune.
Also Hinako Shirai.
And also, again, Arnice, because I feel like shilling today.

4 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Well, that's the thing. Arthurian lore is kind of a hodge-podge of various tales strung together into one. Notably the character we knew as Merlin was actually several characters (a list of whom exists on his wikipedia entry) merged into one in later years for simplicity's sake. Likewise, in an earlier version of the tale, Lancelot wasn't the one involved with Guinevere... but Mordred, with the tale being altered because it was allegedly less humiliating that she betrayed him for Lancelot... though if you ask me that just makes Lancelot bad too. Who in turn in some earlier variations had been King Lot's son and Arthur's nephew... instead of Arthur's son by incest (which came later). Mallory did a lot to turn the tales into a cohesive volume... but as it goes a full telling of Arthurian lore would require looking at a number of variations of tales. Some even predating Arthur himself which would later become attributed to him.

And then Chrètien de Troyes, Hartmann von Aue, Wolfram von Eschenbach (and others) happened, and all that lore about Excalibur and Camelot was pretty much tossed out the window. Or at the very least pushed aside in favor of making the stories educational for a noble audience.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I think that unlocks later.
Been a while since I played that game, though, so I don't remember exactly.

Well... I admit, I didn't see this coming. 

That's slightly irritating, but minor, so oh well.

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I started playing Atelier Ryza, and I have one question, how do I check my map?

Ok it's really dumb, you can't actually bring up the map until after the hideout is built.

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Then it's ok. That's the most important thing

Yep. And in addition to the ones you get by simply progressing the story, there are a few Rare Blades you can optionally obtain from other means that are garuanteed to give you a particular Rare Blade. There's enough garuanteed Rare Blades for the entire party to have. And of course, all of the DLC Blades are garuanteed pulls.

At the end of the day though, even the generic Common Blades are good. There is no genuinely bad Blade so you have many options.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Wait, what do you mean?

iirc, the artbook or something actually removed the blood relation between Corrin and Azura.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

iirc, the artbook or something actually removed the blood relation between Corrin and Azura.

Hm. Never knew that. That's consistency for you. Nice job, IS.

Edited by twilitfalchion

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Hm. Never knew that. That's consistency for you. Nice job, IS.

Nobody at IS knew what they actually wanted Fates' story to be.

Just now, Armagon said:

Nobody at IS knew what they actually wanted Fates' story to be.

IIRC, there were actually two main teams working on the story, one side wanting to go otaku-pandering, skinship overload, and the other actually wanting to make a story more in line with traditional FE.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

IIRC, there were actually two main teams working on the story, one side wanting to go otaku-pandering, skinship overload, and the other actually wanting to make a story more in line with traditional FE.

There was also the guy who wrote-up a 500-page script or something and IS just said "nah".

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

What is Fates? I've never heard of that.

4a43ks.jpg

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There was also the guy who wrote-up a 500-page script or something and IS just said "nah".

Oof.

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

4a43ks.jpg

XD

---

Continuing Dragon Quest V right now after the debacle yesterday, I'm cautious of more insta-kill stuff.
Nothing of the sort so far, but another problem has arisen: I'm completely and utterly lost. I have a choice between four ways to go; two of which lead back to where I came from, and the other two go into dead ends. Positive side effect is that I get a lot of experience I otherwise would not have gotten, but... I'd at the very least like to know where the exit to this cave is supposed to be.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Nothing of the sort so far, but another problem has arisen: I'm completely and utterly lost. I have a choice between four ways to go; two of which lead back to where I came from, and the other two go into dead ends. Positive side effect is that I get a lot of experience I otherwise would not have gotten, but... I'd at the very least like to know where the exit to this cave is supposed to be.

You are trapped forever. Accept your fate.

What i like to do in situations like this is i make a save state, then i trial-and-error each path. If i hit a dead end, i reload.

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And then Chrètien de Troyes, Hartmann von Aue, Wolfram von Eschenbach (and others) happened, and all that lore about Excalibur and Camelot was pretty much tossed out the window. Or at the very least pushed aside in favor of making the stories educational for a noble audience.

Such is the catch with myth and legend. They either find a new form more suited to the times... or they fade. For instance, the old "Boys play at hanging" tale has long since fell out of favor. It concerned some children who chose to play a game... where they would compete for who could hang from a noose the longest, with the other's setting him free should something look to start going wrong. Catch being, depending on the variation (and believe me there's a lot, some of them even switching out the noose for a guillotine, and one having an adult pratical joker accidentally hang himself), an distraction presents itself, be it a beautiful woman (as per the practical joker version), the devil in disguise, a three legged rabbit, a brightly coloured bird, a satyr. Take your pick. I've seen dozens of variations on the same theme. Regardless, the unfortunate in the noose or the guillotine or the bath or whatever else suffers for the game and perishes because the ones supposed to help were distracted.

With fairy tales largely having changed towards a distraction for children rather than a Grimm (pardon the pun) reminder of what happens if one isn't aware of the world around them, it's well and truly fell out of favor as too ghastly in the last couple centuries. Even if it's meaning is still valid.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

You are trapped forever. Accept your fate.

What i like to do in situations like this is i make a save state, then i trial-and-error each path. If i hit a dead end, i reload.

That's the only thing that's left to me, I suppose.

I guess I will try that, then!

1 minute ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Such is the catch with myth and legend. They either find a new form more suited to the times... or they fade. For instance, the old "Boys play at hanging" tale has long since fell out of favor. It concerned some children who chose to play a game... where they would compete for who could hang from a noose the longest, with the other's setting him free should something look to start going wrong. Catch being, depending on the variation (and believe me there's a lot, some of them even switching out the noose for a guillotine, and one having an adult pratical joker accidentally hang himself), an distraction presents itself, be it a beautiful woman (as per the practical joker version), the devil in disguise, a three legged rabbit, a brightly coloured bird, a satyr. Take your pick. I've seen dozens of variations on the same theme. Regardless, the unfortunate in the noose or the guillotine or the bath or whatever else suffers for the game and perishes because the ones supposed to help were distracted.

With fairy tales largely having changed towards a distraction for children rather than a Grimm (pardon the pun) reminder of what happens if one isn't aware of the world around them, it's well and truly fell out of favor as too ghastly in the last couple centuries. Even if it's meaning is still valid.

On the note of fairy tales, Disney is to "blame" for some of the more modern re- and perception of many fairy tales.
The original story of Rapunzel, for example, is actually rather dark.

49 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Haha yeah. I mean, Greataxe Blades in Xenoblade 2 aren't awful, Zenobia and T-elos in particular are the best when it comes to it. Zenobia has passives that let her Driver deal bonus damage to Unique Monsters and bosses and T-elos' Lv.2 Special deals more damage against higher-level enemies as well as one that increases her Driver's power everytime they fall in battle. Both are incredibily useful for Superboss slaying.

I didn't think Greataxes were the worst, they're offense-oriented so thats great. I thought the worse weapon type title went to Shield Hammers, but maybe that was just me being biased towards evade-tanking over HP/guard tanking.

27 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

What is Fates? I've never heard of that.

You never heard of the FE spinoff where you play as the Moirae sisters? You should try it.

You're don't play as mere humans, nor gods in the form of humans who have yet to awaken to their godliness, the trio of main protagonist are downright deities and who have known it and lived it since time immemorial. As the overseers of Fate, you have nothing to fear, for nobody, save that one arrogant "king of the gods", is above you. Because of this, this SRPG is very open-ended, although eventually the other gods as decreed by fate will war amongst each other to the point they all die except you, thats the arbitrary end point to this game. Until then, do as you want. Assist the cause of a righteous princess against an evil empire, or do the exact opposite, or help the princess and then kill her right after liberating her homeland. You could hasten the coming end of gods, and eradicate humanity too if you wish. You can take a human form of either gender and start a peasant rebellion, or become a merchant and turn a second-rate guild into a global monopoly on the trade through covert plunder and murder of the competitors, or you can seduce and all the mortals you find pretty. Whatever you do, is Fate, and hence inevitable and impossible to stop.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer