Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

You never heard of the FE spinoff where you play as the Moirae sisters? You should try it.

You're don't play as mere humans, nor gods in the form of humans who have yet to awaken to their godliness, the trio of main protagonist are downright deities and who have known it and lived it since time immemorial. As the overseers of Fate, you have nothing to fear, for nobody, save that one arrogant "king of the gods", is above you. Because of this, this SRPG is very open-ended, although eventually the other gods as decreed by fate will war amongst each other to the point they all die except you, thats the arbitrary end point to this game. Until then, do as you want. Assist the cause of a righteous princess against an evil empire, or do the exact opposite, or help the princess and then kill her right after liberating her homeland. You could hasten the coming end of gods, and eradicate humanity too if you wish. You can take a human form of either gender and start a peasant rebellion, or become a merchant a second-rate guild into a global monopoly on the trade through covert plunder and murder of the competitors, or you can seduce and all the mortals you find pretty. Whatever you do, is Fate, and hence inevitable and impossible to stop.

That... actually sounds really cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On the note of fairy tales, Disney is to "blame" for some of the more modern re- and perception of many fairy tales.
The original story of Rapunzel, for example, is actually rather dark.

To be fair, even the Brothers Grimm revised the Grimm's Book of Fairy Tales quite a number of times, gradually toning down tales here, removing tales there because the later editions shifted focus more for a child target audience than prior editions, which were partially collected with the purpose of the scholarly interest of collecting numerous tales. Some of the ones removed between the first edition and second edition are.... interesting.... to say the least. Disney may have both accelerated and cemented the shift... but as it goes it was well underway before old Walt was even born. Mind, I don't mind. It meant as a kid I could enjoy the Disney variations... which paved the way to me taking a new interest in exploring the darker variations underneath once I was old enough to realize they existed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Aslong as it isn't like gacha where after early game it becomes super grindy and stuff

(Replying to this since i'm just seeing the edit now)

Nah you don't really need to grind in Xenoblade 2 outside of like, one instance in Ch.7 maybe. This is the game that introduced the very useful bonus EXP system into the series and there's also the Overkill bonuses. Basically, you can overkill enemies during a Chain Attack and how much you overkill them will reward you with extra EXP, SP and WP (Weapon Points to level up your Arts).

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

On the note of fairy tales, Disney is to "blame" for some of the more modern re- and perception of many fairy tales.
The original story of Rapunzel, for example, is actually rather dark.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the closest Disney has gotten to accurately retelling a fairy tale, i think.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

 I thought the worse weapon type title went to Shield Hammers, but maybe that was just me being biased towards evade-tanking over HP/guard tanking.

Shield Hammers still have a faster-rate of attack, i think.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

You never heard of the FE spinoff where you play as the Moirae sisters? You should try it.

You're don't play as mere humans, nor gods in the form of humans who have yet to awaken to their godliness, the trio of main protagonist are downright deities and who have known it and lived it since time immemorial. As the overseers of Fate, you have nothing to fear, for nobody, save that one arrogant "king of the gods", is above you. Because of this, this SRPG is very open-ended, although eventually the other gods as decreed by fate will war amongst each other to the point they all die except you, thats the arbitrary end point to this game. Until then, do as you want. Assist the cause of a righteous princess against an evil empire, or do the exact opposite, or help the princess and then kill her right after liberating her homeland. You could hasten the coming end of gods, and eradicate humanity too if you wish. You can take a human form of either gender and start a peasant rebellion, or become a merchant and turn a second-rate guild into a global monopoly on the trade through covert plunder and murder of the competitors, or you can seduce and all the mortals you find pretty. Whatever you do, is Fate, and hence inevitable and impossible to stop.

This sounds raw as fuck.

Edited by Armagon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

To be fair, even the Brothers Grimm revised the Grimm's Book of Fairy Tales quite a number of times, gradually toning down tales here, removing tales there because the later editions shifted focus more for a child target audience than prior editions, which were partially collected with the purpose of the scholarly interest of collecting numerous tales. Some of the ones removed between the first edition and second edition are.... interesting.... to say the least. Disney may have both accelerated and cemented the shift... but as it goes it was well underway before old Walt was even born. Mind, I don't mind. It meant as a kid I could enjoy the Disney variations... which paved the way to me taking a new interest in exploring the darker variations underneath once I was old enough to realize they existed.

Too true.

---

And made it through.
I just had to let myself fall through some random hole. *sigh*
Friggin' hell...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the closest Disney has gotten to accurately retelling a fairy tale, i think.

Well... they kept it dark. Except they kind of took every aspect of Frollo that was good (he snapped after falling for Esmeralda in the novel, he'd actually stopped some nuns from drowning the baby Quasimodo, which meant "almost the standard" as opposed to being a cruel name). They made Clopin from flat out evil to a kind of good guy who was just paranoid because his people were persecuted. They made Phoebus from an adulterer who didn't give two shits about Esmeralda after he was done cheating on his wife with her into a person who filled most of Frollo's "good" actions while having none of his bad. Esmeralda wasn't abducted by gypsies as a baby and replaced with Quasimodo (yes, his mother abandoned him swapping him out for another child, the mother of whom would appear with a severe hatred of gypsies only to realize Esmeralda was her long lost daughter after inadverdantly causing her capture and execution). Quasimodo died in the book. Esmeralda's mother was out of the book entirely. Frollo of the book was a  good man who legitimately cared for Quasimodo until he submitted to the sin of lust, and descended into madness and sin. Frollo of the movie was a self-righteous bastard who saw everyone as a moral inferior, and his one kind act had been out of fear of God as opposed to any form of goodness.

So basically, while it may have been perhaps the darkest well-loved Disney movie... I feel it's more a result of the fact you can only lighten the content of a book so dark so much without losing everything. I mean, the paragraph above is only the major things off the top of my head.

Edited by The Roger The Paladin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armagon said:

>Tiki

>Scum-tier

image0-7.png?width=439&height=431

Awakening made me to dislike manaketes.

YoungTiki is cute and a really good unit in FE11, but I can't stand the adult version.

In general I'm not fond of dragons even if they're an obligatory part in Fire Emblem.

 

The Goldoa ones are aweosome though because you get to know a lot about them but in Awakening they just exist for fanservice purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now I'm in Status Effect Spam - The Dungeon.
This game WANTS me to hate it, I see.

Just now, Julian Teehee said:

In general I'm not fond of dragons

*very sad Draggy noises*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just specialized in dragons in Fire Emblem, so don't feel wounded.

Well, I must tell the true, I never really had big attachement to dragons in videogames.

I like Spyro despite I never played this series and Landia were cute dragons in Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

Edited by Julian Teehee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Julian Teehee said:

I just specialized in dragons in Fire Emblem, so don't feel wounded.

I was making a joke about how you don't like dragons and I have Dragon in my username, therefore you don't like me.
It was a dumb joke, I know. I apologize.

---

Back to Trails in the Sky.
You know, one thing I can already say is that I've gotten much more mileage out of using Arts than I had in the earlygame of any of the Cold Steel games.
Will I stop comparing this game to Trails of Cold Steel? Heck, no! Since they're part of the same series and this is an earlier entry, of course I'm going to make comparisons!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Back to Trails in the Sky.
You know, one thing I can already say is that I've gotten much more mileage out of using Arts than I had in the earlygame of any of the Cold Steel games.
Will I stop comparing this game to Trails of Cold Steel? Heck, no! Since they're part of the same series and this is an earlier entry, of course I'm going to make comparisons!

Definitely not a Trails expert, but Sky FC’s combat can mostly be cheesed by spamming arts and crafts in my experience. I can’t speak for SC but that’s how it was for me in FC.

that moment when an older entry does something better than the later entries do

compare away!

Edited by twilitfalchion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Artes are way better in Sky because partner attacks after physical attacks as in Cold Steel don't exist.

Quote

I was making a joke about how you don't like dragons and I have Dragon in my username, therefore you don't like me.
It was a dumb joke, I know. I apologize.

Don't worry, I understood.

I just noticed it too late that I kinda addressed you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Definitely not a Trails expert, but Sky FC’s combat can mostly be cheesed by spamming arts and crafts in my experience. I can’t speak for SC but that’s how it was for me in FC.

Will keep this in mind! Thanks!
Watch me turn everyone into Mages by the end of the game. Magical Girl Estelle! Because why not?

Have you tried that before, @Shrimperor?

2 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

Artes are way better in Sky because partner attacks after physical attacks as in Cold Steel don't exist.

And counters after dodging don't exist, either, I've noticed.
I like this, actually, because one gripe I had with Cold Steel's combat system is that - aside from some very specific magical nuke builds (that do work like a charm, to be fair) - Arts are mostly superfluous compared to just attacking normally or using Crafts.

5 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

Don't worry, I understood.

I just noticed it too late that I kinda addressed you.

It's okay! XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Nah you don't really need to grind in Xenoblade 2 outside of like, one instance in Ch.7 maybe. This is the game that introduced the very useful bonus EXP system into the series and there's also the Overkill bonuses. Basically, you can overkill enemies during a Chain Attack and how much you overkill them will reward you with extra EXP, SP and WP (Weapon Points to level up your Arts).

SP grinding is the worst out of them all, if you dont know what your doing, that is. 

Some Blades affinity charts require some grinding, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sky FC's final boss took longer than SC's and 3rd's together.

It's the only boss you have to play defensively.

Also the first phase is by far the worst.

For final phase caster Zin for the win.

He spammed earth wall / guard over an over.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

You know, one thing I can already say is that I've gotten much more mileage out of using Arts than I had in the earlygame of any of the Cold Steel games.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Definitely not a Trails expert, but Sky FC’s combat can mostly be cheesed by spamming arts and crafts in my experience. I can’t speak for SC but that’s how it was for me in FC.

Chaos Brand is really broken in FC, i keep telling you guys.

57 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And counters after dodging don't exist, either, I've noticed.

That and there's no advantage/disadvantage states. As you've probably noticed, you can't stun enemies on the field either.

8 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

Sky FC's final boss took longer than SC's and 3rd's together.

SC's final boss literally has a million HP on it's final phase on normal mode, what?

Edited by Armagon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Armagon said:

That and there's no advantage/disadvantage states. As you've probably noticed, you can't stun enemies on the field either.

Yup!
Though you can still get preemptive strikes or get ambushed from behind.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

SC's final boss literally has a million HP on it's final phase on normal mode, what?

The eff?!?
Well, then... let's hope the final boss theme is good, because I'm gonna be listening to that for a WHILE.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Caster Zin?

That's a new one xD

Fate x Trails crossover when?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Though you can still get preemptive strikes or get ambushed from behind.

Yeah but it doesn't matter as much. Also, enemies will make a beeline towards you regardless of level, whereas in Crossbell and Cold Steel, enemies will start running away the stronger you are. Though there is a quartz that makes you undetectable to enemies on the field

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

The eff?!?
Well, then... let's hope the final boss theme is good, because I'm gonna be listening to that for a WHILE.

It didn't really stick out that much to me personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Caster Zin?

That's a new one xD

for the final phase

Actually he could do a bit combat in the second phase where one of the minor nullifies arte damage.

After all it didn't mattet ince the fight ended when the main boss was destroyed, so I could just have ignored this minor.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Chaos Brand is really broken in FC, i keep telling you guys.

That and there's no advantage/disadvantage states. As you've probably noticed, you can't stun enemies on the field either.

SC's final boss literally has a million HP on it's final phase on normal mode, what?

In SC you have ressources to better artes though.

 

I mean I overrestimated a bit, it's not longer than the two final bosses of the sequels, but by far longer than both each of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but it doesn't matter as much. Also, enemies will make a beeline towards you regardless of level, whereas in Crossbell and Cold Steel, enemies will start running away the stronger you are. Though there is a quartz that makes you undetectable to enemies on the field

It doesn't bother me either way. Enemies can come at me all they want!
Combat is fun in this game, so I don't mind doing it.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It didn't really stick out that much to me personally. 

Yeesh.
Oh, well... I'll see soon enough, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trails final boss rating

(considering design, difficulty, gameplay, music)

  1. Ao
  2. Cold Steel II
  3. Sky 3rd
  4. Sky SC
  5. Zero
  6. Cold Steel I
  7. Sky FC
  8. Cold Steel III (epic final dungeon and epilogue but a really pathetically weak final boss)

 

As for Cold I and II I don't consider the post game boss as final boss.

Edited by Julian Teehee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...