Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Bravely Default - Conflict's Chime

Want a remix?

Spoiler

Battle themes are an important part of any JRPG, you'll be hearing them a lot after all. Not to discredit the field and event music, but the latter is more easily missed b/c you were paying too much attention to the dialogue.

I'll toss a good, maybe not the best, but technically quite clean one here, The True Mirror:

Spoiler

As a child, I preferred the ingame remix used for bosses. But now the elegance of the original rendition is better to me.

The True Mirror is possibly better than the prequel's still very good battle theme, the totally unexpected Smash rendition of which has one fault to me.:

Although this does feel a bit more "gamey" to me.

And, I'll throw one more point to All Correct!, Haken's battle theme in Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga Endless Frontier. The game doesn't have a main battle theme, it randomly picks the theme of one of the characters in the front battle row (or the three mecha in EF, EXCEED can pick any front-row support character's too). Haken's is the best original composition to me (which aren't too many actually: Code: ATA, Fairy Rom-Antic, Crimson Asura, the Dark Knight, Alchemist's Query, BURN NOW!, Brave New World, and maybe Arisu in Fluxland are all borrowed from other games).

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Want a remix?

I do love me some 8/16-bit remixes

especially if they are official like

Draggy and Twilit will be hearing the original of that soon enough

Edited by Shrimperor

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Want a remix?

Reveal hidden contents

Battle themes are an important part of any JRPG, you'll be hearing them a lot after all. Not to discredit the field and event music, but the latter is more easily missed b/c you were paying too much attention to the dialogue.

I'll toss a good, maybe not the best, but technically quite clean one here, The True Mirror:

Reveal hidden contents

As a child, I preferred the ingame remix used for bosses. But now the elegance of the original rendition is better to me.

The True Mirror is possibly better than the prequel's still very good battle theme, the totally unexpected Smash rendition of which has one fault to me.:

Although this does feel a bit more "gamey" to me.

And, I'll throw one more point to All Correct!, Haken's battle theme in Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga Endless Frontier. The game doesn't have a main battle theme, it randomly picks the theme of one of the characters in the front battle row (or the three mecha in EF, EXCEED can pick any front-row support character's too). Haken's is the best original composition to me (which aren't too many actually: Code: ATA, Fairy Rom-Antic, Crimson Asura, the Dark Knight, Alchemist's Query, BURN NOW!, Brave New World, and maybe Arisu in Fluxland are all borrowed from other games).

Beautiful, all of these!

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Since we are posting ost, here my fav. Field/plains tracks 😄

Sunshine Coastline

Gaur Plains

Forest of Judgement

First Step Towards Wars -> Next Step Towards the Unknown

The Boy's got wings

Iclucian Dance

Yes Ys pretty much dominates this one xD

Ooh nice!

And while we're at it, here are my 10 favorite character themes:
Atelier Sophie - Camellia Sazanka (and here's the music box version) (Corneria's theme)
Warriors All-Stars - Theme of Lu Bu (Stars Mix)
Nights of Azure - Chris, the Masked Pureblood
Hyperdimension Neptunia - Nepgear's Theme ver. V
Shining Resonance Refrain - Dragomachina
Nights of Azure - The Night, Servans, and I (Arnice' Theme)
Hyperdimension Neptunia - Noire's Theme
Tales of Berseria - Magilou's Theme
Atelier Rorona - She's a Tomboy (Cordelia's theme)
Nights of Azure 2 - Fortuna (Malvasia's theme)

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Shining Resonance Refrain - Dragomachina

Not what i expected when i read ''Character themes'' xD

Some kind of big bad?

Same with NoA2's Fortuna. Gives of a ''Boss'' Feeling, so to say.

Hmm, what Category should i do next hmmm...

Standard Boss Themes!

Genuine Devil
Crimson fighter
Obstacle in our Path
Voltage
Dancing Girl
Belief
Arrest the Criminal

Edited by Shrimperor

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

So we had 20k morons from all over the country demonstrating against Lockdown (which has super eased up) and Masks in Berlin today...

Fucking morons, they will send us all back to max lockdown again

As someone who's currently living in the Failure States of America, i feel ya.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

It is certainly startling, suddenly seeing a German word or name in an otherwise decidedly non-German text or work. XD

And then there's Xenoblade X just straight-up having German music in it's soundtrack.

Also *Xenosaga literally using the works of Friedrich Nietzsche in it's subtitles intensifies*

As for me, i'm not German, but i am Hispanic, so it's always nice to see Spanish names and words pop up in non-Spanish works, even if it arguably more common in Western media. So i understand the sentiment.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

i already have a hard enough time managing 3 languages. I kinda have to assign each language their own topic so to say. For example: German for social & most of real life, English for  nerd/online stuff, etc

For me it's

• Spanish in the houshold (specifically, Latin American Spanish)
  • English literally everywhere else unless it's at another Hispanic location

Despite being Venezuelan American, i learned English before learning Spanish.

That said, i'm way better at speaking Spanish than writing it. Not that my Spanish writing isn't bad at all, it just pales in comparison to my English language.

I've been thinking of picking up Italian. Italian and Spanish are similar so it shouldn't be the hardest thing. I think.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

i already have a hard enough time managing 3 languages. I kinda have to assign each language their own topic so to say. For example: German for social & most of real life, English for  nerd/online stuff, etc

>Allen

>Omega Chad

Yes this is true. You are indeed a man of culture.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Bosses that can attack twice or more in a single turn

The pain. Unfortunately, not much can really be done about this. It feels like one of those things that will always be there.

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Is Cold Steel (the series) pretty bad in comparison to the Sky games?

Me personally? No. I mean, they have a lot of dumb shit but i still find the Cold Steel games to be solid overall. I also vastly prefer the Orbment system in these games compared to how Sky and Crossbell handled them but i'm well aware i'm a minoirty here.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:
59 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

As for my fav. main battle themes

Get over the Barrier

Splash

Mechanical Rythm

Dimension Zero

38 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Since we are posting ost, here my fav. Field/plains tracks 😄

Sunshine Coastline

Gaur Plains

Forest of Judgement

First Step Towards Wars -> Next Step Towards the Unknown

The Boy's got wings

Iclucian Dance

Shilling time? Oh boy, time for me to shill the fuck out of the Xeno series.

Normal battle themes:

Field themes:

Normal boss themes:

Bonus: Godsibb (Xenosaga Episode III) because it's too epic to not shill.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Not what i expected when i read ''Character themes'' xD

Some kind of big bad?

Three of them, in fact! The Dracomachina are powerful artificial dragons that you have to fight multiple times throughout the game.
One of them is the first boss you face off with, even.
Here are pictures of them, if you want to see:

Spoiler

YQ8Es8k.pngE5u6yXR.pngVrhgAKK.png

This is their battle theme

Same with NoA2's Fortuna. Gives of a ''Boss'' Feeling, so to say.

No kidding! It plays right before you face her as the final boss of the game.
Her three boss themes use the same leitmotif.

Besto!

---

Favorite regular boss themes:
Dragon Star Varnir - Witches' Meal
Bravely Default - Fighting to the End
Hyperdimension Neptunia - Dancing Girl
Mary Skelter - Urge to Freedom (which later becomes a regular battle theme, btw)
Shin Megami Tensei IV - Boss Battle

18 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

As far as field themes go...
There are plenty I like, but one favorite:

Oho!

That's a cool one!

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Shilling time?

You know it 😉

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Time to Fight (Future Connected)

I really love that one as well. Between it and Mechanical Rythm in main game XBDE has pretty top tier Main battle themes! (Dunno which to prefer ngl xD)

Time for...Special Boss Themes (Final Bosses excluded)!

Fateful Confrontation
Ernst
Silver Will
Inevitable Struggle
Unfathomed Force
Blue Destination
Providence
Unbreakable King
Paths that will never cross
Dark Emperor

The good old classic Falcom sweep! And finally some FE rep xD

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

which later becomes a regular battle theme, btw

I love it when games do that ngl. 

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That said, i'm way better at speaking Spanish than writing it. Not that my Spanish writing isn't bad at all, it just pales in comparison to my English language.

That's normally the case if you haven't been using a certain language for writing much. I guess when you write stuff you only do so in english, since you are in the US and all.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Voltage

One of the best MegaNep OST songs. Period.

---------

Might as well share some themes as well

Battle themes:

Sophisticated Fight (not the original but this version is amazing)

The arrow was shot (hated Tales of the Abyss but this song was good)

Army of Verdane (don't like FE4 but this song's got a groove)

Field themes:

Horizon of Light and Shadow (simply beautiful)

Selphia Plains RF4

Hyrule Field Twilight Princess

Spirit Tracks Realm Overworld

If we're talking boss themes, then

Molgera

God-shattering Star (Rain)

Apex of the World (Rain)

Honestly 3H has some of the best boss/final map themes I've ever heard.

47 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Iclucian Dance

From a touch of mystery going down a road, to snow. *sniffles*

It wouldn't surprise me that Ys would, as an Action RPG, it doesn't exactly have so many battle themes due to the absence of a transition from field to battle. Therefore, field themes need more attention.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And then there's Xenoblade X just straight-up having German music in it's soundtrack.

Correction! It is German lyrics chosen by a Japanese composer, sung by an Anglophone singer. It's telephone- the lyrics, the equivalent to nonsensical Engrish in Japanese songs which XCX has too.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Noctilum (Xenoblade X)

I prefer Sylvalum (Day or Night or CD bonus track Piano). There is that "fresh, take life as it's coming at you" adventuring feel to Noctilum, but I lean towards the sense of wonder in an utterly alien landscape of Sylvalum. I'm dreading Chapter 10 for ruining it.

For field themes, I'll name one from an olde Square title, since I don't think the people here would be inclined to play it (no biggie, FFVI needs a remake in the gameplay department), Terra's Theme. Terra's Theme counts, because it's used as a field theme (and for the opening credits), "Awakening" is her real theme for character-related moments.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For field themes, I'll name one from an olde Square title, since I don't think the people here would be inclined to play it (no biggie, FFVI needs a remake in the gameplay department), Terra's Theme. Terra's Theme counts, because it's used as a field theme (and for the opening credits), "Awakening" is her real theme for character-related moments.

One of their Few "good" earlier map themes. 

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Here are pictures of them, if you want to see

Wait a sec...

Aren't those the ones you used as pfp?

also, Theme would fit in right with FE!

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

No kidding! It plays right before you face her as the final boss of the game.

i see!

Now, fav. non final dungeon themes!

Palace of destruction aka best first dungeon theme in the history of video games!
Star Temple
Riddles of the Labyrinth
Mystic Core
Valestein Castle
Silent Desert

hey another Ys domination xD

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It wouldn't surprise me that Ys would, as an Action RPG, it doesn't exactly have so many battle themes due to the absence of a transition from field to battle. Therefore, field themes need more attention.

Yup. And honestly, i kinda prefer epic field themes over Battle themes that keep repeating every battle and cut through field themes. It's my problem with the old FE style of music as well. Although RD was a nice compromise

38 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And while we're at it, here are my 10 favorite character themes:

Character themes huh? I'll admit, i don't have much here. I'd post Magilou's theme but you already did so that'd be redundant.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

really love that one as well. Between it and Mechanical Rythm in main game XBDE has pretty top tier Main battle themes! (Dunno which to prefer ngl xD)

I personally like the Future Connected battle theme the most because of the vocals. But both are really good.

Honestly, apart from Time to Fight (Bionis) and the final area battle theme in Xenoblade 2, Xenoblade's battle themes are all top-tier. Although Xenoblade X's normal battle theme is more of an aquired taste for more people. Listen to Black Tar and tell me what you think.

I used to loath both of them but i love them now.

>Silver Will

*man of culture jpeg*

My turn

19 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

hat's normally the case if you haven't been using a certain language for writing much. I guess when you write stuff you only do so in english, since you are in the US and all.

Yeah i've never had to write in Spanish in school outside of Spanish Honors and AP, which i took in high school for the easy A. Also i had to take to foreign language classes to graduate anyway. But since i'm a native Spanish speaker, they let me enter Spanish 3 Honors right away (i had to take a test first tho).

15 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Selphia Plains RF4

Now this is a surprise. I think the song is neat but Rune Factory 4's OST didn't really stand out to me that much.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Correction! It is German lyrics chosen by a Japanese composer, sung by an Anglophone singer. It's telephone- the lyrics, the equivalent to nonsensical Engrish in Japanese songs which XCX has too.

*Don't Worry intensifies*

I'm not German so maybe the the German songs in Xenoblade X are more nonsensical but Don't Worry is probably the most non-sensical Engrish song i've ever heard. Still bangs tho.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

but Don't Worry is probably the most non-sensical Engrish song i've ever heard. Still bangs tho.

If only you had two things:

1. An option to stop Don't Worry from overriding and resetting the music every time you spend even three seconds off the ground. And this has to apply to other instances of override too, because override rhymes with Overdrive and therein lay a big problem- especially if it happens with aBOreSS and The Key We've Lost. Thankfully XC2 did include a no-override option, so I expect to see that again the future.
  2. An option for an instrumental version of Don't Worry. The lyrics are the issue, the underlying music isn't so bad. I'd say the same of NLA's hated themes, the music works for a city specifically based on Southern California, it has a cliched fit to it. It's the lyrics that drag it down into burn-in-hell territory.

And for character themes, I'll pick two more from FFVI's soundtrack: Edgar's and Sabin's Theme, and Celes's Theme.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I'm (sorta) back! I'll still be mostly gone for the next couple days, though. Hope you've all had great weeks so far! 

As for me, I feel entering a comatose state for a few weeks. The backpacking trip I've been on for the week was reaaaallly tough. 79 kilometers over five days. T'was pretty steep too- but the views and whatnot certainly made the effort worthwhile. But dear lord, who decided that mosquitoes were a good idea? It was brutal the whole trip! I counted 62 bites one one leg. I surely eclipsed 100 bites, but I didn't bother counting. Still, it was a trip to remember, both the amazing bits and the parts only a masochist would enjoy.

@SullyMcGully- The calendar shows birthdays for each day, so it's fairly easy to keep track of them! Errr, when you're not on mobile like I am right now. It's pretty tough to navigate on a smol device. Hence why I'lll get all the birthdays I missed at a future date.

Speaking of favorite video game songs, I personally love [inserts the entire Skyward Sword soundtrack] a ton!

Edited by Benice

I am avoiding XB2 ost atm because i want to listen to them ingame first haha. Although i did listen to ''You will recall our names!'' Which i thought at first to be ''You will know our names'' Remix xD

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Listen to Black Tar and tell me what you think.

After the starting bits, i actually like them! Although the lyrics surprised me at first. And i think them getting repeated over and over could be bothersome, but i have to play the game first to decide that.

They actually remind of the english songs i grew up with haha

Hey, you remember that the day i started to emulate XB1, XBDE got announced, right? Maybe i should get to emulating XBX asap...

9fiWbi3.png

Now, for the final shill! Final Dungeon and Final Boss themes!

First, fav. final Dungeon themes:

Castle of Illusions (Phantasmagoria)
A Light Illuminating The Depths - This will always be Peak first Trails game moment for me
Battle Ground
The Place where Souls return
Beyond the Beginning
Phantasmal Blaze
Hollow Light of the sealed Land
Spiral of Erebos

A Falcom sweep who would've thought xD

Now, fav. Final Boss themes!

The Azure Arbitrator - I don't think there will ever be a better final boss theme tbh. Undisputed #1.
The Strongest Foe - 1.5 years to beat on Nightmare never forget! Truely the Strongest Foe.
Ancient Disputation - 3 Phases, 3 Parties, Solo Adol Final Destination. The last good Ys final battle tbh.
A Grasping Truth - Still the best FE final boss.
Twilight of the Gods - We getting some Fe reps over here!
God Shattering Star - Who imagined a Bandit will be a final boss?
Apex of the World - FE be like: ''I may not land often on Shrimpy's music list, but when i do, it's the final Boss!''
End of All - Even Fates is here xD

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

I'm (sorta) back! I'll still be mostly gone for the next couple days, though. Hope you've all had great weeks so far! 

As for me, I feel entering a comatose state for a few weeks. The backpacking trip I've been on for the week was reaaaallly tough. 79 kilometers over five days. T'was pretty steep too- but the views and whatnot certainly made the effort worthwhile. But dear lord, who decided that mosquitoes were a good idea? It was brutal the whole trip! I counted 62 bites one one leg. I surely eclipsed 100 bites, but I didn't bother counting. Still, it was a trip to remember, both the amazing bits and the parts only a masochist would enjoy.

Welcome back! And rest well 😄

15 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hey, welcome back. Bug-free is the best way to be, if I do say so myself.

Edited by twilitfalchion

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Welcome back! And rest well 😄

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Hey, welcome back.

Thank you! It's nice to be back.

Edited by Benice

Algo, algo, escribir en Español. ñññ ¿¿¿ ¡¡¡ áéíóú

DQV Postgame

Spoiler

Alright, time to start the postgame. V was the first to implement a postgame. III and IV's were only added in remakes. So, new dungeon, Estark's Labyrinth. The only hint of its existence is by inspecting the diary at the Nadiria T 'n' T building. This is because it's not visible on the map. You just approach the northern area of the poisonous ground between the T 'n' T building and Mt. Zugzwang, and you're there.

The cave itself, well, it's meant to house the toughest monsters in the game... and they are. However, at this point I can trivialize the battles. Thanks to the Happy Hats, but also from the dungeon loot. Madason's best shield, the Shimmering Shield; one of the strongest monster weapons the Hell Sabre; also the Flail of Destruction; but most importantly, the War Drum! Oomph for the entire active party! Yeah, no need to use Oomph ever again.

So, as the name already spelled it out, the superboss of this game is Estark. The start of his long career in postgames and bonus stuff. Also another hint of the connection between the Zenithian Trilogy. Estark has been reborn, after all. Now, time for boss battle!

Estark... is truly a superboss. Kaboom, Kafrizzle, fire and ice breaths, Disruptive Wave, and can attack twice per round. 0% resistance to fire, 20% to ice, 67% to wind, and 100% to lightning. Immune to almost everything, except Fizzle, Snooze, and stun, though it's a 67% resistance.

I had to restart the battle on the first try. On the second I got a lucky string of Snooze landing several times in a row AND him not waking up. This allowed Nera to cast Kafrizzle. Doing 180-200 damage, she was DPS. Or rather DPT? Anyway, Estark has 9000HP in total. Though there was a point that all but Madason were dead. Thankfully, I had access to the reserve party. Thanks to my King Cureslime, decked in full Metal King gear, with Omniheal and Kazing I could patch the family back up and continue the onslaught.

It was intense... but I persevered! Took me 51 turns to beat him. As it's on par with DQ superbosses, beating them the first time gives a few rewards. However, they also grant an additional one if beaten within enough turns. For Estark, it's 15. Will try that... eventually. For now, to reap the immediate rewards.

Fun fact, in the original SNES version, Estark granted nothing. Just EXP and money. Yeah, it was a basic postgame, but again, it was the first time DQ did it.

Though that will be for next time.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And this has to apply to other instances of override too, because override rhymes with Overdrive and therein lay a big problem- especially if it happens with aBOreSS and The Key We've Lost.

Yeah as cool as Wir Fligen is, overriding important battle themes isn't fun. At least the songs that X uses to override other songs are still better than Vision Reacts.

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

Welcome back Benice!

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Although i did listen to ''You will recall our names!'' Which i thought at first to be ''You will know our names'' Remix xD

It does sound like You Will Know Our Names at certain parts too. Which was likely intentional.

There is a meme that each Xenoblade game that isn't in the X series will have a Unique Monster theme with the a variant of "You Will Know Our Names" as the title.

And i think them getting repeated over and over could be bothersome, but i have to play the game first to decide that.

think the battle theme plays once and then it ends and then it starts all over again. I know the area themes and final boss theme do that in X but i'm not sure about the battle theme.

The lyrics have also become a meme thanks to the lines of "We're stuck on a different planet" and "I need a bigger gun".

rIAiEOX.gif

Bigger gun indeed.

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Hey, you remember that the day i started to emulate XB1, XBDE got announced, right? Maybe i should get to emulating XBX asap...

9fiWbi3.png

Shrimpy's Law: Upon attempting to emulate a game, a remake/remaster gets announced shortly after.

15 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

A Light Illuminating The Depths - This will always be Peak first Trails game moment for m

*man of culture intensifies*

Have you heard the Super Arrange version? So good.

Final boss themes:

Wait fuck, i forgot to include one song when i was shilling Xeno character themes. Allow me to correct that.

The theme of the second best villain in all of Xeno.