Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

So... PS2 emulation is a bust.
Getting the thing to work was already hard enough, and then running the game... hoo boy... slow-walking the game would be a more apt description.
It makes desmume look like it runs at the speed of light. And I am NOT dealing with that, I'm sorry.

Did some stuff in Rune Factory 4 instead. Right now I'm working towards getting 30,000 Gold for the double bed.
And also toward getting 1,000 Prince Points, which is harder than it sounds, because I need those points exactly to fulfill a task. And tasks is where you mainly get Prince Points from...
I think I've screwed myself over slighty.
Not
tumblr_mca0cshaFa1qlpk58o1_400.gif
in the least.

Leave it to me to screw myself over in a game where that by all rights should be impossible to do unless you're a complete moron.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

30 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

So... PS2 emulation is a bust.
Getting the thing to work was already hard enough, and then running the game... hoo boy... slow-walking the game would be a more apt description.
It makes desmume look like it runs at the speed of light. And I am NOT dealing with that, I'm sorry.

Do you have a gaming computer?

Edited by lightcosmo

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Nope, just a regular laptop that is oddly quirky when it comes to emulators.
PSP, SNES, GBA? All good.
DS, PS2? ... oof. XD

Haha, well that's part of your issue, then. Laptop probably doesnt have the power to run PS2 games.

Yep.
It's as I thought, honestly.

The minimum specs that you need seem to be around this:

Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) with the latest DirectXCPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or betterGPU: 8800gt or better (for Direct3D10 support)RAM: 1GB on Linux, 2GB or more on Vista / Windows 7

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The minimum specs that you need seem to be around this:

Windows Vista / Windows 7 (32bit or 64bit) with the latest DirectXCPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2 GHz or better OR i3/i5/i7 @ 2,8 GHz or better OR AMD Phenom II @ 3,2 GHz or betterGPU: 8800gt or better (for Direct3D10 support)RAM: 1GB on Linux, 2GB or more on Vista / Windows 7

There's the problem.
My laptop's processors have 1.7 GHz. Granted there are two of those, but still.

Yep, RIP. XD

There's the problem.
My laptop's processors have 1.7 GHz. Granted there are two of those, but still.

Yep, RIP. XD

Mind you, that's the recommended, you can run a bit lower, but not without delay/slowdown/lag, though. 

Sorry! I didn't mean to crush your Hopes of PS2 emulation! 

There is a forum topic dedicated to "Can I run X game with Y specs for my PC?" questions on the PCSX2 website.

I wish there was someone throwing an old but good computer I could convert into an emulation machine, but thats a pipe dream. As is, I'm not shelling out the hundreds or over a thousand 💵 for the bulky and and antiquated thing called a desktop just to play Namco X Capcom/Xenosaga/Berwick Saga. Either you're a hardcore PC gamer, or you need a desktop for your career, otherwise PS2 emulation is a no.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Mind you, that's the recommended, you can run a bit lower, but not without delay/slowdown/lag, though.

And that's exactly the thing. The slowdown is excrutiating on many games, not just on the gameplay, but the music, too.
And the PS2 emulator is even worse than desmume (the DS emulator) in this regard.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Sorry! I didn't mean to crush your Hopes of PS2 emulation! 

No need for apologies! It's all good! ^^

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Yeah, it probably won't work well on my laptop either. My processor is 2.6 ghz. I usually have frame rate issues with most GC games. I can't see PS2 being much better.

PS2 will probably be worse, since it's a lot more demanding than the GameCube.

And that's exactly the thing. The slowdown is excrutiating on many games, not just on the gameplay, but the music, too.
And the PS2 emulator is even worse than desmume (the DS emulator) in this regard.

No need for apologies! It's all good! ^^

Yeah, I understand what you mean, which is why I have a gaming computer for that! 😁

Good, it sounded awful when I read that.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yeah, it probably won't work well on my laptop either. My processor is 2.6 ghz. I usually have frame rate issues with most GC games. I can't see PS2 being much better.

What Dragonflames said, PS2 needs alot more to run than gamecube. Sorry!

I have a gaming PC  (although 5 years old now and in need of update) and i can't get ps emulators to run properly/smoothly. I can run modern games fine/60FPS.

Anyway

38-a36bf8e3f1400c7be7692a861490b90ac99ba

Edited by Shrimperor

Here's the specs for gamecube emulation:

: 64-bit edition of Windows (7 SP1 or higher), Linux, or macOS (10.10 Yosemite or higher). Windows Vista SP2 and unix-like systems other than Linux are not officially supported but might work.Processor: A CPU with SSE2 support. A modern CPU (3 GHz and Dual Core, not older than 2008) is highly recommended.Graphics: A reasonably modern graphics card (Direct3D 10.0 / OpenGL 3.0). A graphics card that supports Direct3D 11 / OpenGL 4.4 is recommended.Dolphin Configuration

So the processor is apparently higher than PS2 but again, that's recommended for perfect framerates and such, so not sure how that all ties in with normal play. 

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I have a gaming PC  (although 5 years old now and in need of update) and i can't get ps emulators to run properly/smoothly. I can run modern games fine/60FPS.

I should also mention that my computer has next to nothing on it. If yours is filled alot, then that could be a possible issue as well.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I was able to emulate wii games with my old weak ass 10 year old laptop. It doesn't really require a power house

Huh, I tried that and got 5 FPS average.

Edited by lightcosmo

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

👍

Atelier Elfina: love from first potion

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

If yours is filled alot, the that could be a possible issue as well.

Only if filled to the brim, which mine isn't. I still have ~33% free (350 Gb or so)

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Atelier Elfina: love from first potion

Make it happen, Gust!
I like that manga!

---

One thing with emulation is the programming of the emulator itself.
Even if your PC could theoretically run games just fine, that doesn't mean much when the emulator is crap (see desmume).

I like that manga!

It's fluffy af xD

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

One thing with emulation is the programming of the emulator itself.
Even if your PC could theoretically run games just fine, that doesn't mean much when the emulator is crap

Yup, and seems like only ninty emulators really work really well

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Here's the specs for gamecube emulation:

: 64-bit edition of Windows (7 SP1 or higher), Linux, or macOS (10.10 Yosemite or higher). Windows Vista SP2 and unix-like systems other than Linux are not officially supported but might work.Processor: A CPU with SSE2 support. A modern CPU (3 GHz and Dual Core, not older than 2008) is highly recommended.Graphics: A reasonably modern graphics card (Direct3D 10.0 / OpenGL 3.0). A graphics card that supports Direct3D 11 / OpenGL 4.4 is recommended.Dolphin Configuration

So the processor is apparently higher than PS2 but again, that's recommended for perfect framerates and such, so not sure how that all ties in with normal play. 

Weird thing is, I can run Cold Steel 1 and Atelier Escha and Logy at full speed with moderate graphics settings. *shrugs*

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

It's fluffy af xD

I know! That's what I like about it, honestly. XD

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yup, and seems like only ninty emulators really work really well

Except desmume. At least on Linux, desmume is... not great, to say the least.
Also, the PSP emulator works great. I'm not having any issues with that one.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Let's see if I can get that PS2 emulator to work.

You don't have to if you don't want to, though! Berwick's got some big differences from FE, and you may not like all of the changes and differences-That said, the characters in Berwick are rather strong, (EXCEPT FOR HECKIN' VOLO) and the plot is very good, so you might like it anyways?

Uh, and please feel free to P.M me IF you do choose to play, since you'll probably need some explications, although the game does have a screen that tells you most stuff.