Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wish the RF games were on PC...

Or I should just start saving up for a Switch. I think by Christmas I could... maybe...

They might come to PC. All Rune Factory games have traditionally been on Nintendo but i don't think there's anything defining that.

If you're looking towards Rune Factory 5, i'd say you have more than enough time to save up for a Switch. It's definitly not coming out this year, at least for the West, and there's a chance that even the Japanese release could get pushed back due to COVID.

20 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

I have a question about the A.I. in Xenoblade:

If I do an effective attack like swaying, would the others sway?

The battles have been too confusing to realize that.

Swaying? If you mean the Driver Combos, the AI will usually follow up on that.

• Replies 176.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

@Armagon Have you played FF9?
I can get not thinking 7 is the best, even if I personally really love and enjoy it, but I do think 9 is really great and holds up really well.

6 minutes ago, Caster said:

@Armagon Have you played FF9?
I can get not thinking 7 is the best, even if I personally really love and enjoy it, but I do think 9 is really great and holds up really well.

I have not played FF9 but if i'm going to be honest, Final Fantasy as a whole has never really appealed to me. To me, Final Fantasy is too textbook definition. That's not to say i don't think it's neat, even if i never finished FF7, i still liked what i played, but i prefer JRPGs that experiment or just generally do more creative things. I wouldn't neccisarily say i prefer the niche over the mainstream though.

Everything i said about Final Fantasy in this post applies even moreso to Dragon Quest. But i feel like if i played Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest when i was younger, i probably would be into them today. 

Kingdom Hearts is more creative than Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest but it also has some of the messiest writing i've seen in any video game franchise, i'm much more willing to play Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest over it.

FFIX I downloaded years ago on my PS3, but for whatever reasons, I've never gotten to playing it. If it's supposed to be the "chill FF after VII & VIII took themselves too seriously", then that might help my mindset towards it. Should I needlessly double-dip and opt for the Switch port on sale though? Portability might make me want to play it more, and it's no looker by modern standards.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

> Enemy Ballista with Galeforce

493648303947251713.png?v=1

It could be theoretically worse. China invented rapid-fire crossbows- the Chu-ko-nu. Sure realistically it'd be difficult to upgrade them to rapid-fire siege weapons (apparently the rapid fire reduced effective range), but in a fantasy game? Why not 1-10 range ballistae with 4x attacks?

---

sonic-ice-cream-1-710x343.jpg

Sonic ice cream bars exist? And they have for decades? Whut?

And on a different food-gaming note:

Spoiler

BKEW_JP_Magnus_580.pngBKEW_Magnus_580.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_577.pngBKEW_Magnus_577.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_575.pngBKEW_Magnus_575.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_583.pngBKEW_Magnus_583.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_585.pngBKEW_Magnus_585.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_586.pngBKEW_Magnus_586.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_590.pngBKEW_Magnus_590.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_588.pngBKEW_Magnus_588.png

BKEW_JP_Magnus_589.pngBKEW_Magnus_589.png

I never knew they replaced a bunch of Magnus in EWatLO outside of Japan, mostly food, understandable. Though there were a few others.

BKEW_JP_Magnus_808.pngBKEW_Magnus_808.png

An incense burner became a demented Jack-in-the-box why?

BKEW_JP_Magnus_913.pngBKEW_Magnus_913.png

A Japanese noodle dish became "strange brew"- makes no sense.

BKEW_JP_Magnus_929.pngBKEW_Magnus_929.png

What was the problem with the "Hachimaki of Idol Life"? Seems like a localizer was too concerned about masculinity. 

I do like that the replacements retained the visual quality of what they replaced.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I have not played FF9 but if i'm going to be honest, Final Fantasy as a whole has never really appealed to me. To me, Final Fantasy is too textbook definition. That's not to say i don't think it's neat, even if i never finished FF7, i still liked what i played, but i prefer JRPGs that experiment or just generally do more creative things. I wouldn't neccisarily say i prefer the niche over the mainstream though.

Everything i said about Final Fantasy in this post applies even moreso to Dragon Quest. But i feel like if i played Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest when i was younger, i probably would be into them today. 

Kingdom Hearts is more creative than Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest but it also has some of the messiest writing i've seen in any video game franchise, i'm much more willing to play Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest over it.

I'll be honest, playing more Dragon Quest lately, it is pretty basic, at least gameplay wise, but I feel, after having played more, it's very creative in other ways. For example Dragon Quest IV, which is based around controlling all your party members in their own scenarios, before having them all meet up and continue the story together.  Yea, I don't that's necessarily new today, but this game came out on the NES/Famicon, even if I played the newest version, it was still like this in the original, so I think it's hard to say it's not creative or experimental, especially for the time, I think a game like that was pretty ambitious. Even if in Dragon Quest 1, you only have one party member, I personally think it's interesting how the game is balanced around it, it's a lot more interesting and about management of your items/mp. I think it's neat. Basically, as I've played more of this series, unless it's strictly gameplay you want to be more interesting, I think it's a bit hard to say Dragon Quest isn't creative, especially when I feel like a lot of neat things we appreciate in rpgs, Dragon Quest likely did first.
So I dunno. 

I didn't really like even playing Kingdom Hearts for pure gameplay, so I can't give it that... 

5 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Anybody got any tips for what to do when the insides of their ears hurt?

If you have a heating pad, holding it up around your ears can help reduce inflammation and pain. Ibuprofen doesn't hurt either.

8 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

If it's more like tenitus, getting a drink of water helps me.

16 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

In addition to what the others said, I find that carefully rinsing them with a little water usually helps when something is off with my ears. It cools down the skin, which helps remove any irritations, and gets rid of any foreign substances that might have gotten in there somehow (like a small insect).

36 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

If you have a heating pad, holding it up around your ears can help reduce inflammation and pain. Ibuprofen doesn't hurt either.

No heating pad unfortunately, but I did take some ibuprofen earlier, and that helps a little.

34 minutes ago, Benice said:

If it's more like tenitus, getting a drink of water helps me.

It's not really ringing, although I wouldn't be surprised if loud noises did have an effect on why my ears hurt considering that I heard a bunch of loud noises that sounded like cannonfire yesterday.

27 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

In addition to what the others said, I find that carefully rinsing them with a little water usually helps when something is off with my ears. It cools down the skin, which helps remove any irritations, and gets rid of any foreign substances that might have gotten in there somehow (like a small insect).

Ah, I'll try that and see of it helps!

EhnbVRp.jpg?width=962&height=431

Also @Shrimperor Ys 9 is coming to the West next year for PS4 and Switch

48 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

sonic-ice-cream-1-710x343.jpg

Sonic ice cream bars exist? And they have for decades? Whut?

Oh yeah, these were dope when i was younger. Appearently some ice cream vendors are discontinuing them though 😞

48 minutes ago, Caster said:

I'll be honest, playing more Dragon Quest lately, it is pretty basic, at least gameplay wise, but I feel, after having played more, it's very creative in other ways. For example Dragon Quest IV, which is based around controlling all your party members in their own scenarios, before having them all meet up and continue the story together.  Yea, I don't that's necessarily new today, but this game came out on the NES/Famicon, even if I played the newest version, it was still like this in the original, so I think it's hard to say it's not creative or experimental, especially for the time, I think a game like that was pretty ambitious. Even if in Dragon Quest 1, you only have one party member, I personally think it's interesting how the game is balanced around it, it's a lot more interesting and about management of your items/mp. I think it's neat. Basically, as I've played more of this series, unless it's strictly gameplay you want to be more interesting, I think it's a bit hard to say Dragon Quest isn't creative, especially when I feel like a lot of neat things we appreciate in rpgs, Dragon Quest likely did first.
So I dunno. 

Well gameplay is a factor but it's also like, the general vibe. Like if you look up "JRPG" in a dictionary, you'd get a picture of Dragon Quest (or Final Fantasy). Both franchises are too "textbook definition" for my liking, if you get what i mean.

But like, i only feel this way towards JRPGs.

Since it seems like there’s quite a bit of Xenoblade love in this thread, I figured here would be a good place to ask. What is the Xenoblade series of games like and why are they good? As someone who has put in around 130+ hours in BotW, is Xenoblade Chronicles DE anything like that style of game?

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

> trying to write the next CYOA chapter
> it suddenly gets so hot that my brain feels like it's melting and I can't focus

>.<

The weather’s absolutely miserable where I am. High humidity and temps in the 80-90F range.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Well gameplay is a factor but it's also like, the general vibe. Like if you look up "JRPG" in a dictionary, you'd get a picture of Dragon Quest (or Final Fantasy). Both franchises are too "textbook definition" for my liking, if you get what i mean.

But like, i only feel this way towards JRPGs.

Why are ya so difficult?

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

The weather’s absolutely miserable where I am. High humidity and temps in the 80-90F range.

Pretty much that and the air is absolutely stagnant with no wind to speak of. I have to regularly cool myself down with water.
And it's supposed to get worse by the end of the week, too. Ugh.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

They might come to PC. All Rune Factory games have traditionally been on Nintendo but i don't think there's anything defining that.

If you're looking towards Rune Factory 5, i'd say you have more than enough time to save up for a Switch. It's definitly not coming out this year, at least for the West, and there's a chance that even the Japanese release could get pushed back due to COVID.

"Might" is certainly the key word there. It took until now to finally have an old!HM/SoS game on PC. The wait for RF "might" be even longer. More than traditional I'd say almost exclusive. Since only RF Oceans got to be on something other than a Nintendo console/handheld.

Well, in any case, I'd be getting a Switch for more than just RF, so it's fine either way. There'd be RF4S in the meantime when it comes to RF, heh.

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Pretty much that and the air is absolutely stagnant with no wind to speak of. I have to regularly cool myself down with water.
And it's supposed to get worse by the end of the week, too. Ugh.

Seriously you survived last year's summer - which was a mess - when temperatures were about 15 °C higher than today, so you will overcome with this.

There's really no reason to complain about the current weather.

It's warm, not hot, and the main thing: dry air

The can temperature sink enough at night to let cool down the bed room.

It's a perfect summer day today, if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

Seriously you survived last year's summer - which was a mess - when temperatures were about 15 °C higher than today, so you will overcome with this.

There's really no reason to complain about the current weather.

It's warm, not hot, and the main thing: dry air

The can temperature sink enough at night to let cool down the bed room.

It's a perfect summer day today, if you ask me.

My main issue is with how rapidly it warmed up. I'm very sensitive toward quick weather changes.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

finally some good Falcom news

What happened?

Edited by DragonFlames

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also @Shrimperor Ys 9 is coming to the West next year for PS4 and Switch

It's PS4 only in Japan, the surprise announcement that the West is getting a Switch port is great news for me. After Ys VIII, I'm certainly willing to try another, lets pray it isn't an unoptimized port this time and doesn't chug animating distant enemies when it has no reason to.

22 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

What is the Xenoblade series of games like and why are they good? As someone who has put in around 130+ hours in BotW, is Xenoblade Chronicles DE anything like that style of game?

Xenoblade is an MMO-like JRPG series with a big emphasis on exploration. It is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of JRPG world design and it's probably the series strongest point. The writing is also very solid across all four games and the music is phenomenal.

In regards to a comparison to BotW, the Xenoblade game that has a world like it is Xenoblade X. That's the only Xenoblade game with a truly open world, the others are what i like to call "open world-lite". However, i would not recommend X as a starting point because it's geared more towards veterans of the series. It's also the only game in the series where story takes a back seat to everything else (the sidequests are the real story and they are very good sidequests).

If you want to start, three of the four games are all good starting points.

• Xenoblade Definitive (do not play the OG) is pretty much the original game but QoL features now exist. Combat is pretty simple in this game, for better or worse. This game is regarded as the "Holy Grail" of Xenoblade, though i personally think the other Xenoblade games are better.
  • Xenoblade 2 is my favorite game of all time. Most people got into the series with this one (i didn't, i got in with Xenoblade on 3DS) so it works as a good starting point. The game really drives into your skull how the combat works (again for better or worse lmao) and it can seem a bit slow at first but i find it to be very satisfying and quick once you know how it works.
  • Torna ~ The Golden Country is both DLC for Xenoblade 2 and it's own standalone game. It's pretty short, about 20 hours for the main story and 50 hours for everything so if you want a bite-sized Xenoblade experience to ease you in, this is a good option. It's a prequel to Xenoblade 2 but the kind that kinda assumes you've played the sequel first but it's totally fine to play this first.

The recommend play order is Xenoblade Definitive -> 2/Torna -> X but it doesn't really matter as long as you don't start with X first.

On a side note, Monolith Soft themselves worked on BotW, which makes sense. Their expertise in open-world design is what contributed to BotW Hyrule being what it is.

21 minutes ago, Caster said:

Why are ya so difficult?

It really do be like that sometimes.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

What happened?

Ys 9 coming to PS4 and Switch next year.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's PS4 only in Japan, the surprise announcement that the West is getting a Switch port is great news for me. After Ys VIII, I'm certainly willing to try another, lets pray it isn't an unoptimized port this time and doesn't chug animating distant enemies when it has no reason to.

I'm not completely surprised, i believe Ys 8 is PS4 only too in Japan.

And, while no PC port was announced, it's pretty much a garuantee that Ys 9 is coming to that as well.

I'll probably pick this up on Switch assuming it runs well. Hopefully it's better than Ys 7.

Edited by Armagon