• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

My main issue is with how rapidly it warmed up. I'm very sensitive toward quick weather changes.

I see.

I think this change has been rather moderate.

It's not been a change of like 10 °C within 24 hours.

Though I can see it.

finally some good Falcom news

I always bring good news.

4 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

I see.

I think this change has been rather moderate.

It's not been a change of like 10 °C within 24 hours.

Though I can see it.

It was big enough for me. XP
I know I'm not the sturdiest person when it comes to that kind of stuff...

---

On a completely non-related note, I'll probably be getting my first actual Fate game soon.
Read some reviews about Extella and it sounds like something I would like to play.

Edited by DragonFlames
"about" does not have "z" in it. Wtf, me?

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Xenoblade is an MMO-like JRPG series with a big emphasis on exploration. It is, in my opinion, the pinnacle of JRPG world design and it's probably the series strongest point. The writing is also very solid across all four games and the music is phenomenal.

In regards to a comparison to BotW, the Xenoblade game that has a world like it is Xenoblade X. That's the only Xenoblade game with a truly open world, the others are what i like to call "open world-lite". However, i would not recommend X as a starting point because it's geared more towards veterans of the series. It's also the only game in the series where story takes a back seat to everything else (the sidequests are the real story and they are very good sidequests).

If you want to start, three of the four games are all good starting points.

• Xenoblade Definitive (do not play the OG) is pretty much the original game but QoL features now exist. Combat is pretty simple in this game, for better or worse. This game is regarded as the "Holy Grail" of Xenoblade, though i personally think the other Xenoblade games are better.
  • Xenoblade 2 is my favorite game of all time. Most people got into the series with this one (i didn't, i got in with Xenoblade on 3DS) so it works as a good starting point. The game really drives into your skull how the combat works (again for better or worse lmao) and it can seem a bit slow at first but i find it to be very satisfying and quick once you know how it works.
  • Torna ~ The Golden Country is both DLC for Xenoblade 2 and it's own standalone game. It's pretty short, about 20 hours for the main story and 50 hours for everything so if you want a bite-sized Xenoblade experience to ease you in, this is a good option. It's a prequel to Xenoblade 2 but the kind that kinda assumes you've played the sequel first but it's totally fine to play this first.

The recommend play order is Xenoblade Definitive -> 2/Torna -> X but it doesn't really matter as long as you don't start with X first.

On a side note, Monolith Soft themselves worked on BotW, which makes sense. Their expertise in open-world design is what contributed to BotW Hyrule being what it is.

Okay, thanks. I might look into picking up Xenoblade Definitive since like you said, it's a good place to start and it's the beginning of the series.

I didn't know that about BotW though. Interesting to see how design philosophies and experience carried over from game to game.

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I didn't know that about BotW though. Interesting to see how design philosophies and experience carried over from game to game.

Yeah, Monolith Soft also just helps out on a lot of Nintendo projects in addition to their own games. But I think most of the time it's just support whereas they had clear influence with BotW and likely BotW 2.

I am very confused. What the fuck?

Atluuuuuuuuus.... you suck.😫  You wasted your entire showcase on Catherine: Full Body. I don't want a ported puzzle-platformer that deals with mature but not risque hetero relationships, I want SMTV, and Etrian!

Now I have no idea when Atlus might drop some news, I have to expect anything coming at any time.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Okay, thanks. I might look into picking up Xenoblade Definitive since like you said, it's a good place to start and it's the beginning of the series.

Xeno games are very storyline oriented, in my opinion, so if that interest you, that would be a great thing to look forward to.

To clarify, things like character growth, are very big. One of the things that really stand out to me, personally.

@Caster why are you dissapointed? Cloud fan or something?

Edited by lightcosmo

43 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

@Caster why are you dissapointed? Cloud fan or something?

Yea, probably my favorite or 2nd favorite FF protag (hard to pick between him and Zidane)

50 minutes ago, Caster said:

Yea, probably my favorite or 2nd favorite FF protag (hard to pick between him and Zidane)

Alright then, that makes sense. Is that generally or just considering protags?

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Alright then, that makes sense. Is that generally or just considering protags?

Just considering protags.

3 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

It's fine, you are forgiven!

Yay!

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Atluuuuuuuuus.... you suck.😫  You wasted your entire showcase on Catherine: Full Body. I don't want a ported puzzle-platformer that deals with mature but not risque hetero relationships, I want SMTV, and Etrian!

Now I have no idea when Atlus might drop some news, I have to expect anything coming at any time.

That's a shame. A real shame.

But on that note, I do wonder how Atlus is going to treat the Etrian Odyssey staple of drawing your own dungeon map from now on. The DS and 3DS were practically made for that mechanic with their dual screen, and while the Switch has at the very least a touchscreen (handheld mode only, though), I honestly can't see it working as it did on the 3DS.
Not to mention that Etrian Odyssey Nexus very much felt like a love letter to Etrian Odyssey as a whole, and the ending theme basically said goodbye and thank you for the memories. At least that was the feeling I got from it.

1 hour ago, Falcom Knight said:

Killing Lysithea is the biggest pitfall in Fire Emblem.

Indeed it is.
I say as I killed her in my first playthrough, because I didn't recruit anyone and didn't start with Golden Deer...

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That's a shame. A real shame.

I'm not completely surprised because Atlus didn't create a special website that counts down to an announcement only for it to be a countdown to another announcement. But yeah, it's pretty dumb that they just wasted their entire showcase on Catherine. I was expecting a localization date for Persona 5 Scramble at least.

Honestly though, the New Game+ Expo as a whole was pretty bad. The Inti Creates stuff was nice but they could've easily just revealed these at Bitsummit instead and the rest would've probably been revealed via Gematsu's front page otherwise.

No E3 this year really stings, huh.

21 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

But on that note, I do wonder how Atlus is going to treat the Etrian Odyssey staple of drawing your own dungeon map from now on. The DS and 3DS were practically made for that mechanic with their dual screen, and while the Switch has at the very least a touchscreen (handheld mode only, though), I honestly can't see it working as it did on the 3DS.

Considering Mario Maker 2 is a thing, they could keep the drawing map feature. It'd just be more awkward when playing docked.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Considering Mario Maker 2 is a thing, they could keep the drawing map feature. It'd just be more awkward when playing docked.

Difference being that in Mario Maker 2, you make your level, then play it.
In Etrian Odyssey, you draw your map while simultaneously playing the game. There was nothing stopping you from drawing your map while you were in battle, for instance (the combat being turn-based and all, I actually did that sometimes if I got into a battle before I finished a section).

The games basically look like this
HrbTwOu.jpg
minus the minimap on the left; that was on the bottom screen, and you had to draw it yourself with the stylus while you explored the dungeons. And you had multiple marking options to mark down where stuff like treasure, stairs, F.O.E.s etc. were. You could even color the floors differently if you so desired.
That's the part I imagine will be hard to translate to the Switch.

If you knew that already, then feel free to ignore my ramblings.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

In Etrian Odyssey, you draw your map while simultaneously playing the game. There was nothing stopping you from drawing your map while you were in battle, for instance (the combat being turn-based and all, I actually did that sometimes if I got into a battle before I finished a section).

Ah, so that's how it works. Then yeah, i'm not sure how it'd translate then.

Wouldn't it be more convinent if the map filled in automatically though? I speak as an outsider so maybe i'm not seeing the bigger picture but having to draw in the map yourself just feels like it's just extra steps,

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Wouldn't it be more convinent if the map filled in automatically though? I speak as an outsider so maybe i'm not seeing the bigger picture but having to draw in the map yourself just feels like it's just extra steps,

That's what I thought at first, too, when I played the game, but I quickly discovered how fun it is to draw your own map.
And especially in more labyrinth-like dungeons, it really helps remembering where you have to go and what squares to avoid, so repeat treks through dungeon floors will become a lot easier depending on how thorough you are your first time through.
And since you can draw your own map, you can personalize it to your heart's content. I already spoke of different floor colors, but you can mark down pretty much anything you think is worth noting or anything you think might come in handy later on.
Not to mention it just adds to the immersion. I know that line is a meme by now, but it really feels like you're actually exploring literally uncharted territory.

Well, decided to finally resume my Ace Combat 5 playthrough, which I left at Mission 18.

After three crashes, it's clear my flying skills are rusty, hahaha. Then when I finally it over to Mission 19 (after Mission 18+, ho boy, survived that at 97% plane damage), I reset the thing over something forgetting there's no chance to save until after Mission 19. So I gotta start from Mission 18 all over again.

Well... that's for another day...

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

No E3 this year really stings, huh.

My hopes shift to August for now. The month is almost entirely empty according to this.

Assuming COVID19 didn't throw that big a wrench in development cycles, everyone will be wanting to put out some autumn-December releases before the holidays arrive, as always.

Relocating from E3 June to August will narrow the window between announcement and release, allowing intense hype to be sustained easier to generate more sales. Or so's my wishful hypothesis.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

That's what I thought at first, too, when I played the game, but I quickly discovered how fun it is to draw your own map.
And especially in more labyrinth-like dungeons, it really helps remembering where you have to go and what squares to avoid, so repeat treks through dungeon floors will become a lot easier depending on how thorough you are your first time through.
And since you can draw your own map, you can personalize it to your heart's content. I already spoke of different floor colors, but you can mark down pretty much anything you think is worth noting or anything you think might come in handy later on.
Not to mention it just adds to the immersion. I know that line is a meme by now, but it really feels like you're actually exploring literally uncharted territory.

I have to second everything said here, it's part of the essential EO experience. I find a weird joy in jotting down a note for every scripted event I come across, which I rewrite when the event is done if need be to remember what the outcome/best outcome is. I should've used notes to better mark FOE movements though.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Do it pronto.

Sank about 60 hours in. I'd say I'm halfway into the story now, and have just embarked on 

Spoiler

getting items essential in rebuilding Colony 6

...which is a good time-waster apart from simply grinding and pushing through the storyline.