Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

It's probably the first game that pitches its tent firmly in the "it's not for me" territory that I've actually beaten. If I had to sum my experience with the thing in one word, it would be tedious. But there was some stuff to like, too.

Again, it's from 1992, older RPGs aren't always as easy to get into. Less direction as to where to go, less nuance to the combat. And of course, less dialogue and characterization. Although from the first half of Masoukishin, if you wanted to make a wordy game in the 16-bit era, you could -albeit that game isn't a JRPG and hence was free of the text black hole of countless NPCs.

And since you can emulate DS stuff now, let me remind you the first two Luminous Arc games exist with official translations. You may get the feeling you got with Persona 4 of "it's just not as good as the successor", because chances are strong thats how it'll be when compared to Stella Glow. But because emulating is free, you may wish to try them to see if the entertainment value outweighs any steps back. I'd probably go back to LA2 first and not 1 then, it'll be slightly less dated, but still no singing🎶 witches.

If you do try LA2, and wish to have the Fatima ending over the Althea ending, inform me and I'll send you the correct dialogue options. Basically, you have to answer questions scattered through the first half or so of the story such that you get at least 9 out of a maximum of 11 points to indicate a clear preference for the Shadow Frost Witch over the wannabe Ember Witch. Going in blind, you'd probably get the Althea ending.

• Replies 175.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Forgive us.

It's no biggie. Don't worry about it!

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Again, it's from 1992, older RPGs aren't always as easy to get into. Less direction as to where to go, less nuance to the combat. And of course, less dialogue and characterization. Although from the first half of Masoukishin, if you wanted to make a wordy game in the 16-bit era, you could -albeit that game isn't a JRPG and hence was free of the text black hole of countless NPCs.

I know, I know.
Still, being old doesn't change that I didn't entirely have fun with it, personally.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And since you can emulate DS stuff now, let me remind you the first two Luminous Arc games exist with official translations. You may get the feeling you got with Persona 4 of "it's just not as good as the successor", because chances are strong thats how it'll be when compared to Stella Glow. But because emulating is free, you may wish to try them to see if the entertainment value outweighs any steps back. I'd probably go back to LA2 first and not 1 then, it'll be slightly less dated, but still no singing🎶 witches.

If you do try LA2, and wish to have the Fatima ending over the Althea ending, inform me and I'll send you the correct dialogue options. Basically, you have to answer questions scattered through the first half or so of the story such that you get at least 9 out of a maximum of 11 points to indicate a clear preference for the Shadow Frost Witch over the wannabe Ember Witch. Going in blind, you'd probably get the Althea ending.

Consider my interest piqued!
I'll finish Trails in the Sky first before I get into anything else new, however. I'll definitely get back to you on this one, though!

My chief issue with Persona 4 wasn't just that it didn't live up to the hype in comparison to Persona 5 (which, on its own, I would have been willing to forgive), but that the most prominent members of the main cast was just annoying, unlikeable, or both (the only exceptions being Yukiko and Kanji).

42 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

tfw so hot
your beady heats up 1 minute after a cold shower at half eleven in the night

Relatable.txt

---

So, due to the heat melting my brain, I felt like playing something brainless and fired up Warriors All-Stars to beat up some fox people.
Checked my Leaders Ranking (how many battles I did with each character, in other words), and here are my top five, apparently:
gzqX7X1.jpg
I'm not biased, I swear!

Also
qOGjkB1.jpg
Thanks, Christophorus. XD

Edited by DragonFlames

I'm watching a livestream of Xenoblade 2 with JP voices right now. I know i'm biased, but God, JP Rex and Nia sound so unnatrual to me. Not hearing Rex and Nia with their accents is sending my brain into the shadowrealm.

Just my luck, the AtEFF mod is crashing.

Guess I'll have to see if someone can figure out what's wrong. It always happens on the same date, so at least it must be over the game thing. Hopefully I can continue the playthrough... would suck otherwise as I'm more or less halfway through the campaign.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I'm watching a livestream of Xenoblade 2 with JP voices right now. I know i'm biased, but God, JP Rex and Nia sound so unnatrual to me. Not hearing Rex and Nia with their accents is sending my brain into the shadowrealm.

I actually prefer Japanese Nia to English Nia. The voice fits the character better, in my honest opinion.

Oh yeah, you probably know this, but the reason the English voice acting is the way it is is due to the fact that the voice actors and actresses had no context for their lines. 
I think Pyra/Mythra's VA said this during a livestream some time ago.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I actually prefer Japanese Nia to English Nia. The voice fits the character better, in my honest opinion.

I'll say it fits her more visually but the English Welsh fits her personality way more. 

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh yeah, you probably know this, but the reason the English voice acting is the way it is is due to the fact that the voice actors and actresses had no context for their lines. 
I think Pyra/Mythra's VA said this during a livestream some time ago.

Yeah i've been aware. Some of the actors were also doing this for the first time. Xenoblade 2 was Skye Benette (Pyra/Mythra)'s first acting job ever.

They still did a good job regardless outside of a few moments.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I'll say it fits her more visually but the English Welsh fits her personality way more.

*angry Welsh cat girl noises*

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah i've been aware. Some of the actors were also doing this for the first time. Xenoblade 2 was Skye Benette (Pyra/Mythra)'s first acting job ever.

They still did a good job regardless outside of a few moments.

True.
Especially with no context for any of it (by the way, I did not bring this up to discredit the actors in any way, shape or form. Just as some trivia, since we were talking about voice acting).

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

*angry Welsh cat girl noises*

latest?cb=20180802181648

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

(by the way, I did not bring this up to discredit the actors in any way, shape or form. Just as some trivia, since we were talking about voice acting).

No it's fine. I knew you meant no harm.

I think we can both agree it's pretty inspiring to have a high-budget JRPG be the first thing you do in your acting career.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

01a.gifv

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah i've been aware.

IT'S TREASON THEN

It actually isn't true that the actors had no context. By Skye Bennett's assertion she knew basically everything about the plot that related to Pyra and Mythra (which is most of it) and my past self had the foresight to take an image of her saying so. I think the "tHeY hAd No CoNtExT" originates from how she said she would've done something different for Mythra's "Shut up!" if she understood the one-eyed monster scene better.

93APevF.png

It is true that XC2 was her first voice acting role, but she's been acting since she was nine.

1 minute ago, Lightchao42 said:

IT'S TREASON THEN

It actually isn't true that the actors had no context. By Skye Bennett's assertion she knew basically everything about the plot that related to Pyra and Mythra (which is most of it) and my past self had the foresight to take an image of her saying so. I think the "tHeY hAd No CoNtExT" originates from how she said she would've done something different for Mythra's "Shut up!" if she understood the one-eyed monster scene better.

93APevF.png

It is true that XC2 was her first voice acting role, but she's been acting since she was nine.

Oh, I see!
Thanks for clearing that up for us!

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Without knowing the context of this you could think she's being electrocuted right now. XD

Probably because it's cropped

d9yva93s5k401.gif

The full-sized gif.

Zeke what are you doing back there?

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

So the "they didn't have context" thing is an oversimplification of what actually happened then? I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Just now, Armagon said:

Probably because it's cropped

d9yva93s5k401.gif

The full-sized gif.

lul
dat Rex photo bomb... or gif bomb, I guess.

I know what happens when she dances like that. I was just saying, not knowing the game at all might give that impression. XD

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Zeke what are you doing back there?

Being one of the best characters in the game, as usual.

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I know what happens when she dances like that. I was just saying, not knowing the game at all might give that impression. XD

No i know, i'm just pointing out that i could see what you meant because it was cropped.

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Being one of the best characters in the game, as usual.

I mean he does do the JoJo

LqdxG4M.gif

But yeah, Zeke's a high A-tier Xeno character.

Edited by Armagon